[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, where do you draw the line with fantasy weapons? What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 13
File: saber excalibur.png-original.png (95 KB, 5316x924) Image search: [Google]
saber excalibur.png-original.png
95 KB, 5316x924
Hey /tg/, where do you draw the line with fantasy weapons? What's the craziest weapon you've ever had or seen in a campaign?
>>
File: sikh_warrior.gif (105 KB, 624x510) Image search: [Google]
sikh_warrior.gif
105 KB, 624x510
>>43746299
the line is with Sikh arsenal
>>
File: IMG_20151120_181503.jpg (740 KB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151120_181503.jpg
740 KB, 3120x4160
>The double-bastard sword.
A dwarven minor relic that was a Bastard sword but at its point was a fist, and clenched in that fist was another bastard sword. The thing was huge.hey
>>
>>43747259
Whoever came up with this is a fucking double bastard.
>>
>>43747259
That has to be the most stupid sword I've ever seen and that's the reason I love it
>>
>>43747259
you
you
DOUBLE BASTARD
>>
File: keksimus maximus.jpg (72 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
keksimus maximus.jpg
72 KB, 596x628
>>43747259
>>
>>43747259
I think you won.
>>
>>43746299
>What's the craziest weapon you've ever had or seen in a campaign?

Not a single weapon, but I once had a character with an special magic harness filled with about 200 weapons, and the ability to quick-draw, throw, and wield them as needed. Couldn't stow them though, so I just dropped them instead. Every fight had a trail of discarded blades, hammers, and axes as I worked my way across the battlefield.
>>
>>43746299
Sword-chucks, yo
>>
File: 1393063225066.jpg (20 KB, 300x609) Image search: [Google]
1393063225066.jpg
20 KB, 300x609
>>43746299
It was a stupid fucking god sword thing that just exploded into everything whenever you swung it.

DM had a percentile chart that you had to roll 10 times on. It included things such as 'a swarm of tiny ice elementals appear from the sword', 'the sword explodes and everyone, including the wielder, takes 2d10 fire damage', and my personal favourite 'Everyone in a 60 foot radius is knocked prone'.

Naturally, I specced my character into getting as many attacks with the thing as possible.
>>
>>43746299
A properly wielded long sword.
>>
File: 1411204099921.jpg (2 MB, 3206x4500) Image search: [Google]
1411204099921.jpg
2 MB, 3206x4500
To be honest, I actually like this one.
>>
File: 1444445833889.jpg (68 KB, 750x558) Image search: [Google]
1444445833889.jpg
68 KB, 750x558
Anything that a player can justify having in a kitchen sink setting like FR, so long as it isn't an excuse to unbalance themselves or seriously immersion breaking.
>>
File: 1447905293332.jpg (75 KB, 829x709) Image search: [Google]
1447905293332.jpg
75 KB, 829x709
Obligatory.
>>
In terms of rulebook weapons, probably an exploding spear, though I did have a special repeating crossbow that was utterly retarded in terms of mechanics. It could shoot laser light bolts that would pass through armor and magically split into two, and the bolts themselves were tumble bolts, which somehow increased damage by "tumbling" through the air in their fired path of trajectory and made a spinning sound. So the character was running around shooting tumble bolts of light that split into two and made an air-whipping spinning noise as they went. I think it might even have had exploding as well, so after all that, the bolts exploded.

In terms of not rulebook, a character that can control and direct light, and she has a pair of sort-of throwing discus that are magnifying lens, and can sort of control in flight. So she hurls them out and they fly around the area in determined paths, and she then casts her sun beams at them in flight to focus through them or change the path of the beam, and supposedly potentially scatter a beam like a prism. It's a cool idea, but in practice it just results in massive, random destruction and terrible collateral damage.
>>
File: shitty melee weapons.jpg (150 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
shitty melee weapons.jpg
150 KB, 595x842
>>
File: 1444559932976.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1444559932976.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
In one of my groups campaigns, we managed to find the Blade of Evergrowth, a +1 rapier that, when swung, would leave a trail of leaves gliding in the wind. It also had a few effects that would only become apparent after finishing the attuning process. First of the effects would be that the arm holding the sword would become covered in bark. Second allowed the user to communicate to plants. The third, however, made the user very defensive of nature. but the final effect did allow him to turn a tree into a wood golem once per week. We let our ranger have it.
>>
>>43747259
If you change the proportions a lot you could probably use that aestethic for a Zweihänder.
>>
File: 39210_2015-11-21_00001.png (969 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
39210_2015-11-21_00001.png
969 KB, 1920x1080
This is my axe, it's the 3rd most powerful axe in the game. But really lore wise, armor and weapons don't really matter much because all the power of the warrior lies in their souls and the flow of aether around them.

Still, I don't like it. It's an ugly hunk of rock strapped to a stick with chain. What I usually end up doing is glamouring, the process of making gear looking like another, a lower level weapon with more subdued appearances onto it, just there's no real good axes.

In D&D I don't imagine my characters with flashy and ridiculous weapons like this. Simple, solid weapons according to who made the weapon. Elven blades are curved and leaf shaped, dwarven ones are shorter but wider and more angular and adored with runes and human ones are rather simple but often gilded with etchings.
>>
Villain/general of my campaign had a sword with a permanent shatter+ effect on it.

It would break any non-living material it touched except itself and its scabbard. He could chop through walls, or more importantly, any weapons or armor used to block it, magical or not.

The net effect was that the villain became a high level rust monster as my party saw it, and were terrified to engage as to not lose their magical equipment.
>>
>>43750270
The power of Christ is strong in this one.
>>
In Diablo 2 there was an ogre sort of thing that wielded a dead body wrapped in chains.
>>
File: lord of wolves.png (116 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
lord of wolves.png
116 KB, 660x330
I gave my rogue a crossbow that tripled bolts, did 1d6 additional Fire damage on top of doing 1d10 per successful hit. Had a 60ft range, all to stop it from dumpstering encounters by itself.

On a kill it gave Fast Healing 3 to all allies in a 30ft Radius, excluding the user. It was cursed though, and if the user didn't pass a save they'd start screaming violent obscenities in an alien tongue. If the campaign had progressed further it would've pulled an extra two-shots.

A critfail would convince the user they WERE the alien the weapon was made for, which the Rogue promptly rolled immediately upon firing it
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 414x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 414x499
I played a very light-hearted DnD campaign where the party ended up keeping a number a harmful magical items. What they ended up doing was tying up a +1 chain shirt and stuffing all of the harmful magical items. The players called their creation the "debolisher". I as the GM made up some rules for their weapon (it did damage based on how many items were stuffed in there) and it got rediculous from there.

This one item derailed an entire campaign, as they went looking for more harmful magical items to stuff in the sack. We didn't care, I think that was the most fun I had playing D&D ever.
>>
Well, I was going to say something about the impractical 4 sided sword, but it seems so bland by comparison...
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.