[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dwarf Fortress
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress.png (58 KB, 1366x716) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress.png
58 KB, 1366x716
Blast from the past, /tg/. Where should I settle?
>>
>>43745142
Find somewhere temperate, with trees, flux, and both deep and shallow metals for something straightforward.
Deserts, mangrove swamps, mountains and colder regions are more challenging.
>>
>>43745360
Well what do you guys feel like playing? I know how to play the game.
>>
>>43745142
The patch of haunted land in the middle of the regional map.
>>
>>43745385
>>43745385
Haunted sounds fun. I like the idea of zombie hellephants
>>
File: Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress-1.png (56 KB, 1366x716) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress-1.png
56 KB, 1366x716
>>43745385
Here we go :)
It has an aquifer, even better. Prepare carefully?
>>
>>43745142
>Volcano
>Glacier
>Haunted anything
Anything less is for casuals.
>>
>>43745430
Better prep, unless you want a short game.
>>
>>43745142

AS PER THE STANDARDS OF OUR FOREFATHERS!
FIND THE ANUS OF THE WORLD!
AND GIVE IT THE DWARF!
>>
>>43745411
Dunno if it's been fixed yet but last I played, zombies and zombie parts were unstoppable death machines. And skeletal elephants will teach you the true meaning of agony
>>
>>43745563
Which is why you should arrive armed and give everyone at least a copper short sword.
>>
I'll make them novice sword/hammer/macedwarfs, any other specifics?
>>
>>43745585
I always bring a good weaponsmith and armoursmith among the starting settlers just because it's so hard to train up compared to other skills. I make a beeline for any iron and those dwarves smith 24/7 until everyone is armoured up. The iron later gets replaced by steel.

Even if the only weapon dwarves have is a pick that helps immensely with random attacks.
>>
>>43745751
Interesting. I go for 3 miners, a woodcutter/carpenter, a mason/architect/engraver, and two growers. I'll seriously consider a weaponsmith in the starting 7 next time.
>>
File: Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress-2.png (30 KB, 1366x716) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-Dwarf Fortress-2.png
30 KB, 1366x716
1st Dorf: pic related.
>>43745800
Let's shoehorn our weaponsmith somewhere in there. How about Miner, Miner/Soldier, Miner/Blacksmith, Woodworker, Stoneworker, Grower/Brewer, and Grower/Cook
>>
On another note, what to name our Fortress/Dwarves/Group?
>>
>>43745751
How do you find iron so fast? I spend entire games mining around for it and give up before I find any.
>>
>>43745864
Sounds good to me.
>>
How about making the third Miner part Crossbowman?
>>
File: FUN!.jpg (201 KB, 1000x709) Image search: [Google]
FUN!.jpg
201 KB, 1000x709
bump
>>
>>43745900
It's all about what kind of geological layers you have under the embark site. Couple tips:

>When you embark the screen where you pick your fortress location and size is (usually) divided into two or more biomes. The world is composed of a big "jigsaw" of biomes, each biome has a different rock strata underneath. This also affects what plants grow on the surface, what species of trees and what animals show up. The more biomes you have access to in the fortress the wider the selection of mineral types you can access and the better chance you have of striking iron/flux.

>When you embark the game will indicate features under the embark site such as soil layers and aquifers. Unless you want a real challenge never embark on any site that lacks both Shallow Metals and Deep Metals. You can sometimes get away without deep metals but you may end up with a lot of copper.

>There are three different ores of iron. Hematite, Limonite and Magnetite. Hematite and Limonite are both ores and use the pound symbol as a tile, Hematite is dark red and Limonite is yellow. Magnetite on the other hand is a type of rock and shows up as a grey tilde or "~". If you magnetite on a map you've struck it rich because it spawns in ludicrous quantities compared to the other two.

>There are only 5 flux capable stones, Chalk/Dolomite/Marble/Limestone/Calcite. If you don't have any of these on your map you will be unable to make steel without importing flux from traders. This is why embarking over multiple biomes is important.

>While you won't know what kind of stone you get until you strike earth, you can make an educated guess based on where in the world the fortress is located. This isn't an exact science and comes down to experience and trial/error. For instance if you embark on a volcano you will have free fuel to forge with, but the map will actually have less metals because the top layer of ground is all obsidian.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_layers
>>
inb4 >>>/v/
>>
>>43747507
/tg/ has usurped DF from /v/ long ago, it doesn't have any graphics for them to circlejerk over.
>>
>>43748657
That doesn't stop newfags from calling it /tg/ unrelated.
>>
>>43745585
I tried that but all the zombie fingers wiggling around scared everyone to the point of uselessness. It's like you have to use hammers and hope they get pulped completely.
>>
>>43745900
Most iron is only found on sedimentary layers. Hematite is occasionally found in igneous extrusive layers, but it's quite rare.

Chances are, if you don't have sedimentary layers, you don't have iron. But embarking on a site with no sediment is dumb anyway because you have no flux to make steel with. It's very difficult to get around this limitation, though if you have access to copper (Tetrahedrite can be found in any stone and appears in supermassive clusters) you can make traps to harvest Goblinite with.

Basically, learn which layer types contain which ores and embark accordingly.
>>
I will continue to curse myself to the ends of the earth for not saving the seed where I found a 3x3 embark with more native aluminum than iron ores (checked with DFHack), with the iron having 40,000+ units IIRC.
>>
File: megadorf.png (653 KB, 755x631) Image search: [Google]
megadorf.png
653 KB, 755x631
bump in hopes of this still being up in the morning
>>
File: commander keen rule.gif (10 KB, 334x646) Image search: [Google]
commander keen rule.gif
10 KB, 334x646
>>43748689

Then they've never seen the Commander Keen rule.
>>
What mods do you guys use? I've been using Masterwork a lot because it adds a ton of content to the game. Are there better ones out there? Because Masterwork seems to be getting a little much with dividing each race into factional alliances and I preferred the way they did warlocks and these other guys before.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.