[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Game-Scionlarge.png (229 KB, 797x234) Image search: [Google]
Game-Scionlarge.png
229 KB, 797x234
Scion thread! Share your stories, rules to nerf Epic Dex, God-level plots and more. But really, do share weird stories.

>Run campaign
>Group has to investigate Scions disappearing in China
>Cliché Mountain-Monastery with secretly evil guy
>Monastery gets attacked by Chaos Dogs
>Have them thrash the group for a bit because its their first Demigod-Adventure so I decide to give them a taste of how difficult things are going to become
>Loki-Scion runs away and hides
>Occasionally ask him if he wants to do something besides watching his group getting torn up by giant yellow dogs
>"Is there a lance somewhere?"
>"Uh.. yeah, there are a few."
>Loki-Scion grabs one of the lances and throws it at one of the dogs
>"Fetch, boy! Fetch!"
>Have him roll Manip+Animal Ken, foolishly saying the (extremly high) treshold out loud
>Manages to get it. No reroll, no duty, no legendary deed, nothing
>He made a Titanspawn play Fetch with him for about 20 minutes
>He is the God of Mischief now.
>>
Would it not be better to merge the Exalted thread with scion? Are very similar.
>>
>>43742806
I don't have time to tell more specific stories now, but our best game started with this pitch:

Players would develop characters from the Hero level to the Demigod level in Chicago during the time period between WWI and WWII. This period would be split into five different stories, each about five sessions, and each separated by a 4-5 year time-jump. During each time-jump, the characters would automatically increase by one Legend rating and their player could describe at least one major event that occured in the interim to explain their rising noteriety. There was also some amount of XP each story to be awarded for character advancement. In total, the 25 sessions would comprise a campaign of about six months, assuming one game a week for 25 weeks.

The reasoning behind the time-jumps was that without modern media, Legend would spread/increase at a significantly lower rate than the original setting assumes. Really though, the entire idea was spawned from the desire to eventually see our Loa player in the 1970's, rocking some god-fueled pimp attire. The rest was just an extension of what I feel is the untapped natural strength of Scion: exploring the influence of the gods and god-blooded on what we thought we knew of as modern history.
>>
>>43742918
The rough-draft timeline for inspiration looked something like this:

1918 - WWI ends

1920 - Essence 1 - Game starts in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
1920's - Harlem Renaissance
1920 - Prohibition begins
1920 - Mexican Revolution ends
1920 - Women gain the right to vote
1922 - A 20-ton meteorite lands near Blackstone, Virginia
1922 - Irish Civil War
1922 - Discovery of King Tut's tomb
1924 - Immigration Act

1925 - Essence 2
1925 - Scopes Trial
1925 - Invention of Television
1927 - Chinese Civil War
1928 - Eliot Ness begins to lead the prohibition unit in Chicago.

1929 - Essence 3
1929 - Valentine's Day Massacre
1929 - "Black Tuesday" Stock Market crashes, beginning the Great Depression
1930 - Clyde Tombaugh confirms the existence of Pluto
1931 - Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in jail for tax evasion
1932 - Winter Olympics in New York; Summer Olympics in LA
1933 - Prohibition is repealed

1935 - Essence 4
1935 - Hitler announces German re-armament
1935 - Dust Bowl
1935 - Alcoholics Anonymous is founded

1939 - Essence 5: Demigod
1939 - WWII begins (Ragnarok)
>>
>>43742948
The hilarious side-effect of starting a Scion game in early 1900's America is that racism becomes extremely prevalent. Our party consisted of a Chinaman, an Irishman, a Mexican, an Egyptian and a Black dude (Haitian, but who there can really tell?). In practice, this ended up being the foundation of a great dynamic political system. The city was more-or-less split up into four racial groups: The Italians, the Irish, the Chinese and the Greek, and as you might imagine, the appropriate group members ended up with a lot of power in their respective areas.
>>
Are you all excited for the new Scion 2e? The alpha just went into first draft.

Here's a preview of the new system, if you haven't seen it already:

http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-teaser-the-first/

http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-teaser-the-second/

http://theonyxpath.com/codename-sardonyx-schemas-and-scales/
>>
Scion sucks ass mechanically. It's a fucking plague unto mankind. Exalted is a better alternative.
>>
>>43742806
I'm really pissed off that i managed to play Fate/Stay games without a problem but every single time i find a group to play Scion we never manage to play more than three sessions.

Enzo McLeir, Scion of Manannán is never going to make it to God. Shit.
>>
>>43744159

The new system for 2e seems like it'll be a significant improvement, at least.
>>
>>43744510
There's a Scion 2e coming? Where can I learn more?
>>
>>43744623

Onyx Path's got a page for it on their website: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/scion/

There's not a lot of previews now, but you want to look at the Sardonyx teasers, "Day 21 - Terra Incognita", and "Day 25 - Mortals, Worship, and Faith" for a good look as to what the game might play and feel like.
>>
I'm reworking the whole system to start up a game with a bunch of friends. I'm not telling them what they're playing, either, I've just told each of them individually that I've got a few background surprises I want to assign to each character (I'm pretending these are different for everyone), and that their character should either being orphaned or have an absent parent.

I tell you, you haven't known true suffering until you've gone through every boon, knack, virtue, etc and removed all reference to gods, demigods, or scions.
>>
I've played Scion... 3 times, and my GM had the sense to cut the game before we got to God.
That said, a group of 4 demi-god scions of various design (one unstoppable force, one unmovable object, one mage, one macguyver) managed to take on a defeat 2 elder giants and 2 fire giants at once in what was still the most cutthroat battle I have ever been in.
Hell, the GM put it together expecting us to flee or die fighting, and we damn near did.
>>
>>43745820

Aren't a whole bunch of the powers named after god stuff too, or is that just me misremembering?
>>
My group developed a homebrew mythological system a few years back after looking at Scion and deciding it was stupid. We're thinking about releasing it on the internet or doing a kickstarter.
>>
>>43747223
Yeah, the Frost ones.

That took some working around.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.