[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: 1447475531453.png (22 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1447475531453.png
22 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. In addition, try to keep tripfag drama to a minimum.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/pV7sdNnv
This link contains numerous writing guides, as well as the addresses of quest related IRC channels.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QMs. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you aren't on the list, post your twitter here and someone will make sure it gets added eventually.

>QM Question:
How much time do you set aside for pre-thread writing and brainstorming?

>Player Question:
Have you ever felt inspired to write your own quest due to a favorite quest disappearing?

>Bonus Question:
How much canon should be put into a fanfic quest?
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question:
Depends, sometimes is days, sometimes its just nothing and I go with the ol good improv

>Bonus Question:
Depends on how loose that canon is. Still, the answer is always the same, as long as it doesn't completely fucks up the storyline or continuity and sends the most autistic fans into a tard rage youre good to go.
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question: I usually spend about an hour procrastinating and then the last ten minutes actually working on pre-thread writing and brainstorming. It somehow doesn't turn out too awful.

>Bonus Question:
I think it depends on both the player base and the QM. Generally, it sh
>>
So, are there any new quests that started recently that are worth following?
>>
>>43741615
i liked steal back the stars, but i'd prefer it if it stayed relatively hard scifi instead of becoming starwars 2.0
>>
>>43741636
What about that new X-Men quest?
>>
>>43741740
which one, i generally avoid /co/ because they're generally teen titans quest tier
>>
>>43741406
>Have you ever felt inspired to write your own quest due to a favorite quest disappearing?
Sometimes, but I don't have much for engaging hooks. It would have to be a semi civ management or tactical Quest.
>>
>>43741406
>>QM Question:
>How much time do you set aside for pre-thread writing and brainstorming?
At least an hour.

>>Player Question:
>Have you ever felt inspired to write your own quest due to a favorite quest disappearing?
No

>>Bonus Question:
>How much canon should be put into a fanfic quest?
OTL should be disregarded as soon as possible but the setting should stay relatively unchanged.

Also A Certain Academic City Quest is now running: >>43741765
>>
>>43741406

>QM Question:
>How much time do you set aside for pre-thread writing and brainstorming

Back when I ran, very little. I'd usually have a rough idea that I'd come up with at work, but allowing my players to randomly roll for a lot of npcs and enemies would kinda twist the plot. In the end it was always more fun to make it up on the fly.
>>
>>43741774
Xavier Institute Quest. I haven't read it yet, but I've seen it a few times, wondering how good it is.
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question:
None specifically, I tend to note down ideas and concepts as they come to me in between running threads, but I never set aside any designated brainstorming time.

>Player Question:
Sure, I guess, although that inspiration never really came to anything, and had nothing to do with my eventual decision to start my own quests.

I'll pass on that bonus question because fanfic isn't really my thing in general.
>>
Was anyone else bummed yesterday by GraveQM not running?
>>
>planefag actually needs his players to notify him about changes to the canon of his quest
Kekked.
>>
>>43741856

Not that anon, but I don't think it's bad.

It's not great or anything, but it did just start, so it does have room to grow.
>>
>>43741856
It's alright so far. Not great, not bad. I rate 6/10. Definitely has potential though. QM just needs to find his stride I think.
>>
It's time to rate Quests!!! Write your fav quest and rate it!!

>>Quest
>Originality
0/10

>Pace
0/10

>Descriptions
0/10

>Characters
0/10

>Best Moment

>Worst Moment
>>
>>43742136
>>>Quest
>totemist
>>Originality
>8/10
It takes a few barely-explored areas and made a fun quest about them.
>>Pace
>6/10 not including hiatus
>2/10 including hiatus
Diarca gon Diarc
>>Descriptions
>9/10
Monsters, locations, characters are all decently above average, but fights and dynamic action are incredible.
>>Characters
>7/10
Decent humans, good spirit politics and our mentor was an ass
>>Best Moment
I always consider the Bone Warden fight to be incredible, it was really incredibly well done and showed that it was possible to do dynamic action really damn well in a quest
>>Worst Moment
Oh, im gonna go die in hospital for another nine months, see you next year! RIP in pieces
>>
>>43741406
>>QM Question:
Too long, and i spend most of it sitting around reading shit on /tg/ anyway
>>Player Question:
Never directly, although good quests dying was what eventually got me to start prewriting
>>Bonus Question:
>How much canon should be put into a fanfic quest?
Depends on the setting and the importance of canon. Generally, keep it recognizable and either keep players well away from canon characters or accept the metafaggotry that inevitably ensues with canon
>>
>>43742529
I'm starting to think Diarca might be like The Dread Capain Roberts, when he decides hes had enough he looks for a suitable replacement, and then that replacement becomes The Dread Captain Diarca.
>>
>>43742589
nah, you can't keep the writing that consistent throughout. Although he might be a ghost, going around possessing people for as long as the stars are right
>>43742606
As OP, i fucked up. Its considered common courtesy to put quest in the subject to help out filterfags
>>
>QM Question:
Not nearly enough.

>Bonus Question:
I like to keep the setting, but run the quest in a different time or place so that it won't really be affected by canon.

As an aside, would anyone be interested in a Decker Quest? Not a Shadowrun thing, just a quest with light cyberpunk elements were you hack computers by plugging a cyberdeck into your brain. You'd have the option of going white hat, black hat or somewhere in between.
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question:

Way too much time... Probably around 2 hours a day after I get home from work, though most of it is just research.

>Player Question:
Have you ever felt inspired to write your own quest due to a favorite quest disappearing?

Kind of...? The first quest I really followed and read ended suddenly, then I got the bug and started doing min just around when the QM I liked basically quit.

>Bonus Question:

Eh, it depends on the setting and what the aim of the quest is. Mostly, I'm OK with using canon as a starting point, but following events exactly as they happen/being "On Rails" is boring as shit to me.
>>
>>43741955

I was, but he seemed to take it pretty well. Must have been an off night for /tg/.
>>
EVERYONE PANIC! WHISKEY IS KILL!
>>
Jesus fucking Christ, Whiskey already disappeared again.
>>
>>43743173
Its Dr. Unoriginal all over again.
>>
>>43743094
calm down nigga, he'll be back
>>
How do you guys feel when a quest is reaching its end? I know heretek quest is ending and that makes me feel kind of bummed.
>>
>>43743212
nah he deleted his twitter. didn't say anything about it to us players either.
>>
>>43743219
All good things have to come to an ending, if they ran forever they'd end up eventually imploding or vanishing into obscurity.
>>
File: nothitler.png (28 KB, 205x222) Image search: [Google]
nothitler.png
28 KB, 205x222
>>43743173
>>43743094
>>43743235
I called that shit, hot damn!
>>
>>43743219
man, i wanted to get into it, the qm does interesting art on his twitter, i know the later threads are good, but goddamn, those early threads are fucking awful. Does he have any plans to run a new quest or anything else?
>>
>>43743219
All good things have to come to an ending, if they ran forever they'd end up eventually imploding or vanishing into obscurity.

>>43743235
Those CIS scum must've finally gotten him.
>>
>>43743263
Those threads themself aren't terrible, its more so that its his english itself thats god awful as opposed to the contents.
>>
>>43743219
Little sad, but mostly happy that the story I've been following is getting a conclusion.

All good things end.
>>
>>43743282
yeah, thats what i meant. I've ducked into later threads, and its much better, but at least the first five threads are essentially illegible
>>
>>43743302
Well, it is his first quest and the guy admitted since the beginning that english wasn't his mother tongue. Not saying that it's an excuse, just that people has to understand it and appreciate his evolution as a writer.
>>
>>43743219
From a QM perspective, it's strongly mixed. There's so much to be said for bringing things to a satisfactory conclusion, but sometimes you get used to the process of writing the quest and grow kind of fond of writing the characters. Especially if the quest runs for a year or longer.

There's also the sort of sobering realization that there were so many things I could have done better, places I could have taken the story and characters to that didn't pan out.
>>
>QM Question:

I usually spend an hour a night writing dialogue paths but I'm usually brainstorming in my offtime.

>Player Question:

When a quest I started getting into ended I went through the archives and thought it'd be cool to write about something as well. So, yeah.

>Bonus Question:
As much as i like canon within the fanon, if the main characters in the original canon are there to solve the main plot, then it almost gives less credence to the MC to be there.
>>
So for those of you who said that don't prewrite a lot before threads

Do you just think about the direction of the quest throughout the day or do quests actually not require that much prep and I have it all wrong?
>>
>>43743433
It's a writing style decision.

Entirely based on your preferences.

I pre-write my OP posts because I know that the OP post is the hardest to make because I'm not quite in-the-mood before the thread gets rolling.
>>
>>43743433
I do almost no prewriting. I literally just sit down once I get home and type up the opening post. Everything after that is improvisation. That said, I have a pretty good idea of where the quest is going, what themes I do/don't want included, et cetera.
>>
>>43743465
>>43743459

But notes are a must right?

I mean it's preference of course but it just seems like good practice.
>>
I pre-write the OP then just use 1-2 sentences to sketch out important scenes

Too much planning encourages you to railroad, or you just waste effort when players do something other than what you planned
>>
>>43743495
I keep some minimal private notes but mostly what i use to keep track of things are the same pastebins I make available to my players.
>>
>>43743495
>But notes are a must right?

I used to keep thorough notes, now I only keep bulletpoints on characters and their place in the plot. Some QMs don't even do that.

It's too much unnecessary writing to keep detailed notes when notes about characters can change any thread.
>>
Hey QM's how do you know to keep running a Quest? It feels that a lot of interest has died in mine which kinda takes the fun out of it if only one of two people are playing.

Is it just a lull and something I should push through or what?
>>
>>43743539
I really only drop a project if I post an option and get absolutely no responses. That's the point where I say "Alright, this isn't working."
>>
>>43743525
>It's too much unnecessary writing to keep detailed notes

You know, I never realized this. And if you make paragraphs in a pastebin for players they probably won't want to read a wall of text anyway.
>>
>>43743539
push through it for a time, if there's really no interest it'll still die.

But if its a slow patch then it will pick up again.

I get (I think) about 3-10 players per thread normally, and it can get depressing when I only get a single vote, but big decisions bring in lots of votes, so I know a lot of players are just lurking.
>>
>>43743539
Even if you only have one or two players there are surely many more that lurk and only read without participating, be it because they are passive or either due to time or work restraints. Don't surrender, you are better than that.
>>
>>43743554
>>43743581
>>43743582

Thanks, that actually really helps.
>>
>>43743539
If it's not fun, quit.

The quests I run are the only thing that keep me sane at this point. Plus if I stop now, it will feel like a huge personal failure on my part. It feels like I've never finished ANYTHING in my life. So I want something that I've done to completion and I can say to myself "This is a project I did for a good portion of my life that I finished and is done. That story is told."

But if you aren't feeling it, why should you continue? Those readers are just going to find another quest in due time, anyway.

That said, if you're having fun, why should you stop? Because you're worried about wasting space on /tg/? Pfft.
>>
QMs: Do you have trouble finding balance between organic (real people dialogue with mistakes and errors) dialogue and cinematic (Movie dialogue where everything is cut and clear and minimal mistakes) dialogue?
>>
>>43743821
not really, i try for a more cinematic feel in general and avoid making deliberate mistakes because players get uppity
>>
Quests are over
>>
>>43744183
>tfw hiatus errywhere
>>
>>43744183
>>43744215
Its almost Finals, this is by far the hardest part of the year in college, most QMs are bored college students and/or grad students, so they are all working there collective asses off currently. The ones you have atm are either new people or exceptions, such as Diarca whose possibly a spirit, Whiskey who just went poof again, Blorp who is downright insane, exabyte who may or may not be a Giant Space Squid, and Lamb who is Lamb.
>>
>>43744275
I'm literally finishing up some assignments before running.
>>
So, is /tg/ interested in quests set on"original" settings? I mean, quests that are not on any existing settings like Naruto/Bleach/Dragon Ball/Mass Effect.
Just asking.
>>
>>43744326
Yes. More so than fanfic quests.
>>
>>43744326
nope

Only quests set in existing settings or derivatives thereof get more than a handful of players.
>>
>>43744326
If you can hook people in two paragraphs with either a concept or an OP, you'll get some biters.
>>
>>43744358
>Banished
>Hellborn
>Hive Queen
>>
>>43744326

Of course. Some of the post popular quests are set in original settings.
>>
>>43744372
a handful of rare exceptions
>>
>>43744326

If you run a quest, people will play it. How many and what kind of people varies.

However, know that your competency in storytelling and worldbuilding needs to be better than usual in order to reel people in.
>>
>>43744326
Those can be some of the most popular ones if done right.

>Original Quests
+Tons of Liberty
+You are god, whatever you write is canon
-Readers might need more time to get into your stuff
-You have to make a lot of worldbuilding

>Fanfic Quest
+Already created setting, gives you a good starting point.
+ Fans of the setting will be attracted to your quest
- Possibility to break the canon if you aren't careful
- Autistic players who will sperg
>>
>>43744372
>Hive Queen
RIP HQQ, died due to eternal hiatus.
>>
>>43744372
Think DASQ would be among those despite being inspired by Destiny?

I would even go so far as bring up Cyclops Civ
>>
>>43744372
Also
>A.I.
>Spore
>Death among the Stars
>Joker quest
>Shadow quest
>House and Dominion
>>
>>43744326
Thing is, a decent QM will be able to run a decent quest regardless of what sort of setting is involved. A lot of "original" quests die horribly because the QM has ideas, but isn't particularly good when it comes to execution.

Comparably mediocre "fanfic" quests, regardless of how fast and loose they play with the setting, can always fall back on the setting itself. It effectively sets the minimum bar required to keep the whole thing going lower. To claim that this is the reason people run fanfic quests is disingenuous, but it does lead to a lot of mediocre fanfic quests that can limp along indefinitely.
>>
>>43744407
It died with QuestDrones computer, apparently its hard buying computers fit for a xenomorph.
>>
>QM Question
Almost none. Curiously, whenever I try to make big plans (or write pastebins) it takes forever and it never seems worth it. So I just do it live, usually writing the opening post ten minutes before the thread goes up. I have ideas for where I want the quest to go and a list of moments that I'd like to touch on if people vote that way but it's all in my head.
>>
Please tell me that Trapped in Da'ta quest is continuing. I'm too invested in it for it to stop now!
>>
>>43744447

For someone who enjoyed Shadow quest, but would like to read a quest in which the romance does not fuck everything up, what would /wqtg/ recommend?
>>
>>43744564
Lamia Paladin quest is a classic that you'd probably like.
>>
>>43744326
As a QM it's harder to get things going, more rewarding if it works.

As a player it depends. The skill of the QM is usually a bigger factor for me, but a QM who can make an OC setting work is almost always on the higher end of the skill spectrum so I'll check them out more readily than a fanfic quest unless I have a massive boner for the thing being fanfic'd.
>>
>>43744468
Maybe someone could be Santa and gift him a computer (or at least a half-decent laptop) for Christmas?
>>
>>43744564
Ongoing or Finished?

Ongoing: Banished Quest has some romance but most of the shitstorms come from stupid decisions. Totemist Quest has pretty much no romance, but it'll get there probably.

Finished: I highly recommend most of Exabyte's Quests, which have romance but it usually works out. Exceptions are Vale Quest and Psion Quest. Avoid Psion Quest.
>>
>>43744564
Depends. Do you want a quest with romance that does not fuck everything up or do you just want a quest with basically no romance at all?
Also, what's your definition of romance fucking everything up?
>>
>>43744872
>Avoid Psion Quest.
>Avoiding the Great Brown Spot

But that was fun
>>
>>43741406

This is only semi-related, but I was reading through Aberrant - you know, the superhero RPG made by a gay man with issues - and there was one part that struck me as unbearably cute.

There's a company that makes comics and action figures based off the various characters. One snippet of fluff is about a nova (i.e. superhuman) named 'Skew', complaining about how the comic based on his life sucks, and the writer makes him look like a retard. The whole exchange is hilarious.
>>
>>43744897

My definition is that the QM either forces the romance, or does it in such a way that it is terribly awkward for the players to work with.

OR

The players fight over waifus and the QM can't consolidate it. It's fine if there's arguments, but not if it never resolves and effectively ruins the romance part of the quest for everyone.
>>
>>43744897

Not that guy, but Joker is likely the ur-example of romance fucking everything up in a constructive way.
>>
So, 4chan has gone and outright blocked the ISP of the computer I use to post quests from. I don't know why or what caused it.

How are 4chan passes? Anyone have experience with them? Can I just feed it my credit card number or is that a stupid thing to do and I should look into buying 20 dollars of bitcoin?
>>
>>43745076
I use a 4chan pass and I gotta say, I quite enjoy not having to fuck around with captcha. You can feed it your credit card since the payment info isn't actually handled by Hiroshima Nagasaki, it's handled by Stripe I think
>>
>>43744356
>>43744391
>>43744370
>>43744399
>>43744400
>>43744399

Basically: You're a zombie. Not one of Romero's Living Dead. You're a corpse brought back to life in a world where vampires, werewolfs, mages and other aberrations live, hiding from humanity. Not only because they have the numerical advantage, of course, but because they have something no supernatural creature has: a soul. The fuel for miracles. But this is not about them. It's about you, a zombie. There are two ways to create a zombie:

> There are those born of magic. In a ritual supposedly created by haitian sorcerers, you were brought to life as the servant of a mage. You have all of your human memories, but you are stronger, faster and more resistant than any human. You don't need to sleep nor eat, but you can do so if you want. In fact, eating humans ca make you stronger for an amount of time. However, you have to obey every single order of your master.

> And there are those created by science. Made in a laboratory, by a single mad scientist or by a team of slightly less sane ones, you are a miracle of medicine. You don't have any memories, because you never lived. Each part of your body was taken from a different person, but you're a entirely new one. You're strong as a werewolf and as fast as a horse. However, your appearance is just uncanny to normal people. Maybe you are too big. Maybe you are too pale. Maybe your appearance is fine, but in their souls they know you are something wrong.

Science zombies (Basically the Frankenstein monster) are stronger than the magic ones, however, they can't live in society. Both kinds of zombies would have unique abilities that would be revealed as the game would go on, besides virtual immortality and super human abilites. You guys would be able to choose which kind of zombie you'd like to be, and i would run with it. I'll admit i'm a little worried about being too close to WoD, but i'd try not to go the "grimdark angsty noir" route.
>>
>>43745110
I can see that working.

Reminds me a bit of FLATLINE, one of Exabyte's quests on Akun.
>>
>>43745110
I'm not great with synopsis, but this is the basic concept. I'd probably polish it a little before trying, but this is the core idea.
>>
>>43745076
How would that help at all? The pass just lets you avoid the captcha, it doesn't overturn bans.
>>
>>43745076
Do you use AT and T or one of the other non-static IP services? Or one of those weird niche ones?

In addition, if you live on a college campus you can get shafted hard by that. It took 4chan almost a month to realize that the ban they put on the campus 3g Net for someone posting CP was banning literally dozens of people.
>>
>>43745188
Still happens too.
>>
>>43745110
The MC can work, but I see no main direction, genre or playstyle defined yet.

Do you have some main arc ideas? Are we talking Hellboy, living separated from the world, or living under a cover?
>>
>>43745165
It's not a ban, it's an ISP block.

The warning specifically says a pass would bypass it. So I hope it does.

>>43745188
I think you're right, someone was being a shit on my IP range and got the whole thing blocked. It's a nonstatic service. Sadly, I don't think it's going to get overturned. I wouldn't even know who to talk to get it fixed.

I'm on a 3G card now that is so shitty that I can't even post images. It just chugs every time I try to load the captcha. It keeps loading the shit captcha that requires me to copy+paste a verification string.
I need to escape this.
especially when it's the same street sign captcha over and over again when Google doesn't know what a street sign looks like.
>>
>>43745270
>playstyle

Uh, can someone give me an example of these or at least explain the difference?
>>
>>43745110
So Hollywood horror monster mashup?
>>
>>43745332
Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense. Why was it blocked? The only reason I can think of the site blocking an IP would be a ban, which would not be repealed by a pass.

You can use the site's ban repeal system, or email them or something, but if you're trying to say that it's blocked, and it isn't a ban, and that it claims a pass will cancel it, then it sounds like you're getting scammed by some Russian or something, because that makes no sense to me at all.
>>
>>43745391
>Why was it blocked?
https://www.4chan.org/faq#blocked
>Which ISPs, IP ranges, and countries are blocked from posting?

>A number of ISPs, IP ranges, and countries are disallowed from posting. These blocks stem from repeated abuse coming from these ISPs/IP ranges/countries.
>>
>>43745339
Well, you mentioned abilities. Do you have underlying crunch or mechanics, going heavy on combat or social, etc.
>>
>>43745431

Sorry, not that guy just wondering
>>
>>43745270
>>43745270
Yeah, i have some arc ideas. The main problem i see, however, is that, for now, i don't know how to connect them all in a central plot. I can think of a few arcs connected between each other, but not of a main arc that is not created by the MC actions in-game, which i can't control unless i railroad the hell out of it.

About genre and playstyle: For the Magic Zombie, i see something on the line of being a servant for your master. Doing his biddings, attacking enemies, going after magical artifacts. Obviously, you'd have to hide your true nature from the world and from your friend from your previous life. As for the Frank Zombie i imagine something like Hellboy, as an agent for a secret unit, hunting supernatural creatures as the monster created by humanity. Or, if you guys refuse to follow orders and try to escape, it could go the "Caliban" route, a creature trying to live in a world that despises it very existance, where even werewoves, vampires and monsters want you dead and hunters are out for your blood.

So, yeah, the genre would probably change depending on the route you guys follow. About playstyle, i was considering making a simple system to run it, to keep it rule light and using mainly a d100.
>>
>>43743821

All the time. I'm constantly re-writing stuff to try and make it seem less cringe-worthy than it could be.
>>
>>43745391
>>43745332
Appeal, call the mods queers, and tell them that you're not even the guy they intended, and you'd very much appreciate it if they removed the ban and felated you while they are at it.
>>
>>43745431
Oh, that guy was not me. But, as i was saying on my previous post, my idea is to make a simple system. I already have most of this system, but i'm trying to make it simpler so it could be used without many problems on a quest.

About combat/social: I have a personal preference for social focused games, where character development and interaction would be the most important parts of the game. However, combat is probably going to be a big part of the game, and if you guys vote to focus on it through your actions, i won't force you guys to interact with the NPC's.
>>
>>43745482
>The main problem i see, however, is that, for now, i don't know how to connect them all in a central plot
Not nearly as important as it seems. If you look at it like seasons in a series, you can just make adjustments to each arc. You naturally build up background and NPCs.

It's more than enough to have a some "endgame" possibilities so you can use them as needed.
>>
With Finals/Hiatus season underway, would it be a good time to seize a questing audience, or would they too be caught up in finals?
>>
>>43745594
I'm converting campaign and setting notes to run in a fortnight, since i've finally accepted my old group will never run again. Might run a one-shot in a week just to get my hand back in.
>>
File: blocked.png (7 KB, 299x315) Image search: [Google]
blocked.png
7 KB, 299x315
>>43745505
>>43745391
It looks a little like this.

I'm not even given the option to appeal. So I'm not sure who I would even message. I could email Hiroyuki, but he probably gets so many 'lol butts' emails that I'm not sure anyone would ever see it.

I'm open to suggestions because this is baffling.
>>
>>43745633
i know moot used to go through his emails, since i got my school network unbanned. Send one to Hiro, maybe he'll be finished doing his data thefts and have time to fix it
>>
Quests Up At The Moment:

Star Wars: Fortune Hunter Quest >>43739108

Mortal Kombat Konquest >>43739424

Totemist Quest >>43741174

Bleach: Shinigami Quest >>43739108

Spectre: A Mass Effect Quest >>43745406

Banished Quest >>43744660

Unfortunate Magical Girl Quest >>43743409

Saiyan Quest >>43743510

Persona 2129 Quest >>43743271

Golem Knight Quest >>43741787

A Certain Academic City Quest >>43741765

Quest: Blood Moon >>43745129

Tide of Ages Quest >>43727308

Republic Commando Quest >>43741395

Pacific Fallout Quest >>43733513

Think I missed some
>>
>>43745792
Oh dammit, didn't link Fortune Hunter Quest Properly >>43741478
>>
>>43745792
>Banished Quest
Shit, thanks. I'd given up on it running today.
>>
I want to see another quest blow up and get massive. I don't even know if I'd follow it regularly, but I just like being a part of an anonymous online crowd.
>>
>>43745921
There's already a few.
>>
>>43745953
Death among the Stars seems to be gaining popularity and only 14 threads in
>>
Post that quest idea you have that you really want to play or run.
>>
>>43746263
Never

That's the same as admitting you won't run it.
>>
>>43746263
I'm currently running one Quest so I probably won't be able to run this for a long while (or ever) but I've been tossing around this idea for a post-apocalyptic fantasy quest where the sun has almost gone out and both flame and light have ebbed from the world. The PC is a lamplighter, a sort of paladin-type magical knight who travels from one ashen community to the next to cleanse evil, keep the king's peace and most importantly, to bless and light what beacons they have left.
>>
>>43746263

Racing Quest with mechanics, locales and a tone sort of like the great arcade racers of the 1990's from Sega & Namco (Or that one Wii-u game stuck in development hell). I've got a dice system laid out and a general idea of who the main characters would be, but I lack the time to run it.
>>
>>43746263
Something something sex with catgirls.
>>
>>43746263

Something something NTR.
>>
>>43746358
10/10 run it
>>
>>43746358
Well, i'm sold.
>>
>>43742136
>Knight Apprentice Quest

>Originality
7.5/10
It was an original setting with quite a bit of thought put into it. On the flipside, it's foundations rest on cliches and it's characters started as anime stereotypes (rectified with quite a bit of character interaction and development).

>Pace
8/10
Yes it's a little slow but seeing how it's genre is Slice of Life first and Important Plot second, I think it had quite the fine pace. Unfortunately, it seems the QM disagreed with that sentiment. Perhaps a little too much Suddenly Ninjas than was healthy.

>Descriptions
10/10
Major selling point of the quest. Not perfect but damn if it doesn't get close. Damp did an excellent job of fitting in all sorts of unique and intriguing details about the quaintest of topics. I have yet to see another QM who can make gossip actually sound like real gossip.

>Characters
7/10
This score is for the character roster overall. Some characters who received tons of development and interaction COUGHCLARISSACOUGH score closer to 10 but the sheer amount of characters that were being introduced in such a short time frame diluted focus too much.

Nicole a best, however.

>Best Moment
Hyper Nicole. Death from the Shadows indeed.
>Worst Moment
Damp leaving. ;~;
>>
>>43746263
I want to run a quest set in a DnD world that has developed up to today's levels of technology. It would be about a paladin doing paladin things.
>>
File: 250px-Crysis-box-art.jpg (21 KB, 250x263) Image search: [Google]
250px-Crysis-box-art.jpg
21 KB, 250x263
>>43746263
I wanted to make a Crysis quest at one time that played like Metal Gear.

I hated the characters in Crysis. Which is a shame because the world and the suits are really cool. If the whole series was just stalking people in the jungle, it would be great. But it's not.

I want to run/play a quest where the first half of the thread is a tactical infiltration of a radar installation and the second half is talking about television and movies with Psycho over the radio.

Maybe I'm the only one that would find that fun. Bizarre schizo SoL/Military tacticool hybrid.
>>
>>43746263
A KanColle quest but actually good
>>
>>43746263
I really just want more magical girl quests that aren't 'edgy'.
>>
>>43746263
A Daemon Quest where you die and are reborn as a daemon of Abbadon, and have to make your way through the planes to ascend in power so you become stronger types of daemons, then a unique harbinger, then a horseman.
After you become a horseman you plot on another level until you have scrubbed the great wheel of all life (assuming you don't die).
>>
File: 1447972992377.png (240 KB, 450x370) Image search: [Google]
1447972992377.png
240 KB, 450x370
> Quest players can't handle the dice checks.
>>
>>43746283
The idea is that another QM decides to pick it up after seeing one they like , although that has yet to happen once
it's still good to hope
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>43746851
>>
What was your best write-in vote?
>>
>>43746878
*dies of undetected genetic disease*
>>
>>43746878
FUCK THIS SHIT LET US REROLL
>>
File: Young Alucard.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Young Alucard.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Rolled 96 (1d100)

>>43746851
>quest players can't handle losing after making retarded choices
>>
>Exalted Quest 100
I hadn't realized this had been going on for this long, I give it a look. I've been looking for for something long to read anyway.
>>
Rolled 6, 16 = 22 (2d20)

>>43746900
Best of three nigga!

Nat 1
>>
>>43746892
>"How defiant"
>>
>>43746929
I'm convinced the person who wrote that went and offed himself when he realized how cringeworthy it was.
>>
>>43746906
>>43746851
>they play quests like this
>they do not play quests that have what they want

You brought this on yourself by not looking hard enough.
>>
>>43745096
I went and bought one for my quest computer. So the problem has been resolved now.

I have to admit, not having to type in a captcha has been almost worth the trouble alone.

Thank you, now to watch my credit card for the next year to make sure nothing mysteriously gets withdrawn.
>>
File: 1334897584046.jpg (25 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
1334897584046.jpg
25 KB, 500x671
>>43746620
>>
>>43747034
The main girl would be Akagi and it would be about the soft and cute everyday life between her and TTK
>>
>>43746929
Wasn't it "Such defiance" ?
>>
>>43747074
I always wondered: was that a troll post?
>>
>>43747048
>not Kaga
>>
>>43746263
madoka witch quest don't judge me
>>
>>43747107
I want to believe so, if only for the sake of my faith in humanity. Far more likely it was sincere, though.
>>
>>43747137
Is it grim or light?

Please be light
>>
File: 1446771013632.png (987 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1446771013632.png
987 KB, 960x720
>>43747137

Would you play Madoka Illuminati quest? With drunk Chinese space admiral?
>>
>>43747180
Light with tiny hints of dark.
>>
>>43747034
>planefag !!0ZviLFh59My
Oh my fucking god not this idiot again.

Can the mods PLEASE ban this guy whenever he shows up in WQST?!
>>
>>43746263
Basically? I want to start an organic comicbook-verse.

I would run a series of 8-10 oneshots setting up origin stories of protagonists across a 100 year period, building up the world around them.

Then, I would bring it all together, pick out what worked and what didn't, and build the full world.

From there, I would run the real quest in the newly built up setting.
>>
>>43747137
lel, just go to SV/SB.
>>
>>43747418
Now, this is just me asking: since this is a completely original cast of superheroes, not DC or Marvel. Would it be better to ask for collaboration on this universe?

Instead of just you running 10 one-shots, it's two running five or three running four.
>>
>>43747418
I had a similar idea, except it was a far future fantasy thing instead of comics.
>>
>>43741406

I sort of want a Wild Talents - Progenitor-esque Quest, but the problem with superhero quests is that you have to take the modern world and the actions of dozens of other supers in mind. It's hard.
>>
>>43747436
anon
the only good one (and the only one at all) died years ag
and it wasn't even all that good
>>
>>43747440
That could also work. 3 running 4 would probably be best, and we could split stuff up along genre or time periods.
>>43747453
That could easily fit in. Remember, comics allow a lot of crazy.

You could have a guy from far in the future sent back to fulfill a prophecy or something (maybe he has to act as the Merlin or something? He's the messiah figure that creates this future of magic?)
>>
>>43747418
That...actually sounds pretty cool anon.

But would the players get to use any of the previously created characters? or would the final character be entirely new?
>>
>>43747529
Unless the players managed to pull a Captain America or Booster Gold which, admittedly, I would totally allow.

It would be a new character. Well, maybe a legacy character though.
>>
>Witch Apprentice Quest
For a comfy quest the meta was poisonous like I've rarely seen.

Why.
Is it dead?
>>
>>43747048
>>43747109
>not a battleship
If you're gonna do a thing, do it properly.
>>
>>43747638
DESS
>>
>>43747661
ABSOLUTELY NOT DAIJOBU.

REMOVE DESS FROM THE PREMISES.
>>
>>43747638
Destroyers are where it's at.
>>
>>43747625
>the meta was poisonous like I've rarely seen.
As someone who hasn't read that Quest, what do you mean? Any juicy details?
>>
>>43747638
>>43747684

Why not Tenryuu? She comes with a compliment of Destroyers
>>
>>43747712
My idea? Agano/Kuma/Yuugumo/Kagerou sisters.
>>
>>43747712
Why not Nagato? She can just "recruit" all the destroyers you can handle and then some.
>>
So does anyone else in Valen have any idea what's going on? Riz said we have a mystery to solve in the Atelier, but I've got no clue where to start.
>>
>>43747685
>As someone who hasn't read that Quest, what do you mean? Any juicy details?
No details because there was bitching about just about everything. The QM seems incapable of not stoking the flames.
>>
File: deathamongthestarsquest.gif (41 KB, 190x223) Image search: [Google]
deathamongthestarsquest.gif
41 KB, 190x223
Don't forget

DASQ runs tomorrow at 3-4pm Arizona time
>>
>>43747815
Bitching at the QM or at the other players? Both?
>>
>>43748003
Man. Both.
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question
Honestly, I don't put any aside. I just let things percolate and come to me when they come to me. And pre-writing I find is usually either pointless when your players go a completely different direction you expected or stifles their free will. Though I can see the need to give things a push now and then.

Pandora Quest 17 is up and running. >>43748017 Come check it out if you'd like!
(You are the head researcher at a government facility. Your sole responsibility is to teach the world's first autonomous AI, nicknamed Pandora, about life, the world and her existence.)
>>
>>43748037
Oof, that's rough buddy. In my experience players always getting super mad at other players is perfectly fine because it means they care deeply about the Quest and because they're not actually blaming the QM. So it might shitstorm in-thread but the QM and their posts can usually just sail right through and keep the thread going.
It's when people start repeatedly taking umbrage with the QM and the Quest itself that you have a problem. It makes players become apathetic and the QM can be scared off or actually start getting into arguments.

If you keep getting both and you're not in a long-established Quest with a big fanbase you might as well start writing the obituary now.
>>
How do Akun quests get so long so FAST.
>>
>>43744899
It's the only fun I've had in an Exa quest, even
>>
>>43748328
It's probably because the QM can just dump an update literally whenever they have enough written to do so and don't need to plan for the next update as soon as the current one is posted (But still can and do sometimes).
It doesn't make up for all the technical problems of the site though.
>>
>>43741406
QM Question: I used to set aside more but recent times have been a bit trying.

Bonus Question: Depends, but I feel that most people would prefer if I didn't stick with canon in my Quest.

Spectre: A Mass Effect Quest is up and running by the way, in case you're interested in this kinda thing >>43745406
>>
>>43746263
Spacemaids
>>
>>43746358
Best quest on /tg/ and it doesn't even exist
>>
>>43746358
>>43746383
>>43746402
>>43748569

I distinctly recall two quests that featured romanceable catgirls. Really long time ago though.
>>
>>43746358
>>43748533
Combine these two and you have my undivided attention.
>>
>>43746263
Normally I hate fanfiction quests, but I kinda wanna make one in the Metroid universe where you play as a Galactic Federation Marine.
>>
>>43748701
I bet Spacemaids has catgirls with the whole Eclipse Phase Lite thing it has going on.
>>
>>43748760
...I'm listening.
>>
>>43748731
The GF's organization and operations aren't really that well expounded upon in universe (might change with the new game coming out) so it could be pretty legit.

Like concentrate on the part where they're using new experimental phazon technology to fight back against phaze pirates.
>>
>>43748812
Yeah, that's why I would do it, to be honest. It's vague but not really "intentionally", more like "they don't really matter" since Samus has more important shit to worry about than a bunch of rifle jockeys killing themselves with space poison.
>>
>>43748812
>>43748846
You don't even have to focus on phazon, there's a whole lot of other shit in that universe they can deal with you may not even need a cameo of Samus to make it interesting.

Of course, there's gonna be players screaming for some reference to her at some point. The challenge is how to go about it.
>>
>>43748933
Go about it the way Prime 2 does

You've heard of this legendary figure but not much about them, to the point you're not sure that she exists since all of her supposed accomplishments seem too big for one person to do
>>
>>43748795
I'm not maidanon, I'm just saying. The setting has a lot of crazy biotechnology to it.

Like the Sensorbrows Ojou-sama
>>
>>43749036
>notyourpersonalarmy.gif
>>
>>43749036
fuck off ya damn personal army /b/tard
>>
>>43747771
We never have any clue of what we're doing.

I was going to go through the archives and pull up all the information we have on Aeons and Ateliers and the Mana, but then Riz said he would? I might do it anyway.
>>
>>43749036
Ok.
Fuck off, no one cares. There you go.
>>
>>43749036
>hating little girls
Faaaaag
>>
>>43746688
/tg/ is terrible at bright settings. Card Priestess Masami reads like cardboard.
>>
>>43749378
I really wanted to say "that's not true!" but I literally can't think of one quest that was good and didn't go into "darker" territory.
>>
>>43749415
/tg/ is still in its edgy phase
>>
>>43749479
Ugh, it's not a PHASE, MOM! This is WHO I AM!
>>
>>43749479
We exploit /tg/'s contrarian nature and we push the edgy so hard that /tg/ decides to willfully be bright.

That, or because a lot of high school kiddies and spaghetti students are on /tg/ and they haven't gotten rid of their edgeboner. Damn millenial kids, where are the rest of the Gen Y /tg/ folks?
>>
>>43748933
>Of course, there's gonna be players screaming for some reference to her at some point. The challenge is how to go about it.

What about taking a cue from the late, late Golgo 13 chapters that do this, where Duke Togo is like a shadow over the whole scenario and we see his handiwork at the end?
>>
>>43749641
>This is WHO I AM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpCzvMmbSA
>>
>>43749709
>>>/co/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>43749085
I meant more regarding the mystery we're supposed to be solving in the Atelier. I think we got a refresher on what Ateliers and such were, so we're probably trying to figure out something about the Aeon or Atelier.

I'm just not sure what, or what I'm looking for. The sculptures seem weird. Didn't someone mention that it was unnatural for water Mana to be so ice based?
>>
>>43749780
Ask Hiroshima Nagasaki for one. He seems to like actually making new boards, unlike moot.
>>
>>43749780
more like 10%, including threads that are over and waiting to be bumped off.

>>43746688
define edgy

>>43749378
hell, define bright.

Most of the RE: quests are pretty darn cozy, but only a few lack dark undertones.
>>
>>43749415
If you're talking just lighthearted as opposed to MG specific, Oversized Weapon and Ogre Civ were fun while they lasted.

I suppose if you liked Princess Guard that might count too.
>>
>>43749780
I didn't realize that /tg/ was only 20 threads long.
>>
>>43749835
>Ogre Civ
RIP Boss Bawss Fistboss
>>
>>43747625
>Is it dead?

Not as far as I'm concerned, but at this point I feel like I should just shut up and not make any promises of new threads until I'm absolutely sure I can actually keep them.
>>
I want to make an edgy Demon the Descent quest.
>>
>>43751735
Ganbatte
>>
>>43746263
I occasionally think that running a superhuman/hero task force quest would be a pretty fun time.

The PC is fresh to the fold of an organization that finds new superhumans in order to protect the world from danger and the supers from endangering the world and themselves. PC's job is to gain a grasp of their own powers, get past their baggage, help their team come together/get over their own issues, and save the world.

Simple, but could be fun.
>>
>>43749001

Can someone explain whats going on here?

Is this a quest? a parody? Autism in its raw state?
>>
>>43751910
It's all three
>>
>>43747712
16th Des Div or bust
>>
I just realized that this could be construed as tricking the players.

How would it hold if you introduced a quest as original with vaguely familiar plot elements, then revealed that it takes so much from one source calling it a fanfic quest would not be wrong?
>>
>>43752266
Not really that much of an issue.
>>
>>43751735
>I want to make an edgy Demon the Descent quest.
I'd read the shit out of that.
>>
>>43752518
It'll be all build-up and no climax.

Edging you might say.
>>
>>43752345
cool, just me being overly conscious, then.
>>
>>43752576
I actually have a pretty good endgame idea. It's just everything in between that I have no idea about. Which sucks.
>>
>>43752954
work backwards
How does the player arrive at the scene of the endgame? Clues, kidnapping, confronting a rival?

What scene or events caused them to go there?

How did they get the motivation/information to set them on that path?

Work the story backwards from that point.

I.e. in the Empire Strikes Back, Luke duels Vader on Cloud City.

Why is Luke there? Vader tortures Han to draw him there

Why is Han there? How did Luke gain enough skill in the Force to be able to see Han being tortured?
>>
>>43753039
Problem is a quest is interactive (I don't enjoy railroading), so, it just means I need ideas for stuff to throw at my players, accounting for the half that won't stick.
>>
any good harry potter quests?
>>
>>43753430

Not really.
>>
>>43746544
I think, in a setting with magic, technology would develope differently, because there's alteady so much convenience magic can provide. Third world countries would be those that are low on magic
>>
>>43753135
You just gotta make your players care.

If they care about what's going on, it's pretty easy to point them toward the endgame you have in mind. There doesn't have to be one path there, necessarily.
>>
Gay* QMC, shitstorm or "heh, whatever"?

*that is, a guy who likes guys
>>
File: EdgeMurder McScowlyFrown.png (157 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
EdgeMurder McScowlyFrown.png
157 KB, 1000x700
>almost two years since I started writing characters and building a setting
>haven't had a solid 2-week block free in two years to start a quest
Seriously contemplating just making a point & click adventure game. At least slow progress is progress.
>>
>>43754017

Go for it. A few anons will get butthurt but plenty of people would roll with it.
>>
>>43746892
Pidgeon flock shit bombardment.
>>
>>43754419
>your
>>
>>43741406
>QM Question
I mostly improvise but sometimes an arc or a small idea just pops up out of the sudden.

>Bonus Question
Just the basic foundations, i guess?

I run a small fallout quest in new Vegas where a nuclear winter did occur. If you are interested, go check it out.

>>>43754455
>>
>>43754017
either very few players or shitstorms
>>
Would love to play in a Goon quest, whereby the MC is a grunt in a villianous organisation.

Getting up the ladder happening in a multiple of ways :doing well in bad situations, being a test subject, vounteering to use experimental weapons, etc.
With lots of chances for horrific scarring (But they do really good medical and dental!).

>>43754460
Ah misread, sorry.
>>
>>43754477

There should be a kaijin Quest, where you play as a Kamen Rider kaijin. Work your way up to become more and more augmented! Go from 'guy with lobster arms' to 'Marshall Armor!' Become more than hu-

EEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE

HAIL SHOCKKAAAA
>>
File: header (2).jpg (22 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header (2).jpg
22 KB, 460x215
>>43746263
I still want to run that Sunless sea quest. I already wrote down a few things but running two quests at the same time is never a good idea
>>
>>43754017
Nobody will care, but QTG will mock you when you either force the QMC to act like a stereotypical gay male or blame your quest's failure on "/tg/ just hates teh gays!" like one faggot tried to do.

Oh, and some people might try to force a shitstorm if they sense your insecurity.
>>
>>43754880
>Nobody will care but people will care
Which is it?
>>
Talk me out of doing a Halo quest that reverses the whole "HUMANITY FUCK YEAH" trend of the most recent games and actually puts a Spartan-III Ops Commander and their Spartan-IV teams in incredible danger against long odds and a poorly-understood, near-inscrutable foe.
>>
>>43754997

Fuck you, do it.
>>
>>43755063
I have a Monitor and Spartan B-170 vaguely planned out. It'll take some time to build a convincing setting and hash out the beginnings of a narrative.
>>
Have we ever gotten a quest where we try to use beute force to solve decisions instead of talking in most circumstances?
Diplomancers have been high lately and it would be a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>43754894
Nobody will care about its impact on the quest, but they will use it as an excuse to mock you if you act like a little bitch about it.

Like that Weaboo Je Nais quest or whatever the fuck it was called, where most people just ignored it because it didn't look or sound very appealing. Then outta nowhere the QM screeched on and on about how ignorant /pol/acks killed his quest for daring to have a gay make MC or some shit so everyone laughed at him and called him a shiny faggot.
>>
>>43754997
>fixfic
>Halo fixfic that tries to salvage the worst part of Halo post-Bungie
Have fun, but I'm not interested in that shitshow in the slightest
>>
>>43755189
>what is MGNQ
>>
File: Makacon cast spread.jpg (81 KB, 580x328) Image search: [Google]
Makacon cast spread.jpg
81 KB, 580x328
Rolled 29 (1d100)

Eclipsed Moon Quest Episode 112 is up and live

Here >>43755570

New day, new arc, let's start on some slice of life.
>>
>>43755265
What can I say, I enjoy a challenge.
>>
>>43755604
Maximum Gay Neko Quest

How new are you??
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.