[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Second What would you want from aof Pathfinder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Pathfinder.jpg (484 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Pathfinder.jpg
484 KB, 2560x1600
What would you want from a second edition of Pathfinder?
>>
No James Jacobs in titles.
>>
>>43739010
I would strangle every PF developer if they came out with a 2nd Edition. I've invested in something like 25 of their books, I do not want revisions.
>>
>>43739010

Remove the feat clutter by introducing more scaling feats, eliminate most of the garbage that's just there to eat up pagecount with abilities nobody's actually going to fucking use. Vital Strike chain is one feat. Power Attack and Deadly Aim are attack abilities based on BAB, not feats. TWF is one scaling feat, with a couple of its bonuses like Two-Weapon Defense/Rend/Feint left alone. Combat maneuvers only provoke attacks if you fail, and are condensed into "improved/greater powerful maneuvers" and "improved/greater cunning maneuvers". Weapon Finesse is a weapon quality, not a feat. Combat Expertise does not exist, and dodge and mobility are one feat.

The spell list is shaved down. There is not a spell for every situation the GM could possibly come up with, and the ability to polymorph into a combat monster or summon up monsters to fight for you gets nerfed HARD to make it extremely difficult for a caster to do the martial's job with a spell slot. Scrying magic can be hindered much more easily with mundane resources, as can teleportation.

Stamina is built into the core system, as are most of the special options from the Weapon Master's handbook, particularly the fighter's.

Steps are taken to remove "stand still or suck" syndrome from full-attacking classes. Higher level martials gain abilities like passive climb and swim speeds, and all classes get the ability to perform "stunts" (needs a better name) where they blow a lot of stamina in one go to perform some particularly impressive deed. All in all, allow physical prowess to get as epic as spellcasting as time goes on, but in different ways. Rogue gets stealth checks that beat blindsense and shit like that.

Skill points have a minimum 4+int unless you are an intelligence-based class, where it's 2+int. Background skills exist.

Charisma does something on its own and you can't just replace it with intelligence for half a feat.
>>
>>43739800
>Stamina is built into the core system, as are most of the special options from the Weapon Master's handbook, particularly the fighter's.

What for a stamina?
>>
More thoughts on in world economics. Single minted precious metal currency has always been very immersion breaking to me.

A LOT more thought on hirelings, faction building, structure building, and the more "domestic" side of being an adventurer would be nice.
>>
>>43739010
Remove Vancian Magic.
>>
Total revision to the point it wouldn't be pathfinder any more, but a second game line running alongside PF with content being published for both.

Statistics revisited and changed so they don't just do stuff every 2 points and so that they do not scale linearly. Change the way saving throws work into a fatigue system in which rather than accruing large bonuses to rolls, if you fail the roll you can choose to spend points to get a bonus to the roll, with the better you are at the save the less points you have to spend. This way you get less screwed over by a first turn spell and you can't bullshit your way through ten saves in a row really easily like you can now.

I don't know, for fucks sake such a thing would be filled with so many changes it would probably take half a year to write if not more.
>>
>>43742219
Yeah, it sucks the way the spell levels are so rigid. A player might be like "hey i want to use fireballs" or something but can't take them until level 5, even if he were willing to give up lesser spells for one powerful spell. Meanwhile the guy who wants to know tons of low level spells doesn't really have the slots to use them. Then it adds a resource mechanic that shuts you down for a whole day on top of these issues.
>>
>>43739010
A good game.
>>
>>43742322
That, and PF Magic is balls to the walls OP. I would recommend something similar to Spheres of Power, though with some better balancing in the Conjuration and Weather effects. That way Magic works on a much more thematically appropriate level, rewards specialization, but also has incentive to diversify if only ever slightly, and allows the mages to have rudimentary use throughout the day.

Also, built in ToB/PoW mechanics would be nice
>>
>>43739800
have you tried Exalted?
>>
>>43742415
PF Magic is MAJORITY fair. Things like wall of fire, meteor swarm, grease, bear's endurance, protection from energy etc don't cause problems. The problem is the handful of spells like Color Spray or sleep that are ridiculous for their level and everybody takes, the fact saving throws force you into an "all or nothing" situation on turn one often (i talk about how to fix that in >>43742278) and the fact that whilst most monsters get spell tier abilties, half the players do not.
>>
D&D 5E with 4E monster stat blocks.
>>
>>43742415
>>43742278
>>43739010
>>43739800

BASICALLY: Make DSP write it.
>>
>>43739568
And all of your books will burn into ash the instant PF2 comes out? You've got TONS of material for the system that already exists. Acting like you suddenly won't be able to use it is just stupid. And if you're worried about them not producing more material, that's also pretty silly... you can't really argue that there's a ton of material left for them to cover before they start to get into some really weird-ass territory.
>>
>>43742631

I haven't. My GM appears to have no small amount of distaste for it so we're mostly sticking with shadowrun and D&D 5e for now.
>>
>>43739010
Make casters good, right now martials are overpowered, specially rogues.
>>
File: 490.jpg (23 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
490.jpg
23 KB, 627x626
>>43743606
>>
>>43739010
> AC / CMD needs to remain relevant without putting everything into it. This means less AC items.
> No. Touch. AC.
> Save or Suck should have a default, lesser effect. This effect happens if you sacrifice X fatigue / hit points or if you successfully save.
> Non-Linear bonuses.
> UMD needs to be a niche ability.
> Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim and any Vital Strike past the first need not to be feats, but options already available.
> No Vancian Magic. No Metamagic Rod.
> Item creation rules that are not completely retarded.
> Armor as DR rules that are not totally retarded (Immune to goblin, no effect whatsoever vs. an ogre because large sucks).
> Replace any ability whose prerequisite is to "flank" with "receive an aid another in battle" and add the ability to take a substantial penalty to an attack roll so that it also counts as an "aid another".
> A "bad" save value, or a low "to hit score" needs to be and remain about 3 points below a good one, not to be a fraction which exacerbates as time goes.

That's it on top of my head.
>>
>>43739010
Make path of war official
>>
>>43743886

And Spheres of Power.
>>
>>43743815
> AC / CMD needs to remain relevant without putting everything into it. This means less AC items.
I'd say have BAB add to AC, and reduce the bonus of armor. The only time I see a problem with CMD is against things that you should have a problem with, like massive creatures where you should be thankful there's even a chance of them rolling a 1 in the first place.

> No. Touch. AC.
Or flat-footed AC. Let being flat-footed trigger certain effects, or even give a +4 bonus or something, but let AC be its own single stat.

> Save or Suck should have a default, lesser effect. This effect happens if you sacrifice X fatigue / hit points or if you successfully save.
I prefer gating all of those effects by HP. Yeah, you can kill somebody instantly... if you get them to 50 HP or less first. That way, you can have a dramatic build-up in battle, where you beat on each other for a bit, THEN finish enemies off with killer spells.

> Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Deadly Aim and any Vital Strike past the first need not to be feats, but options already available.
Yes.

> No Vancian Magic.
I don't mind the pseudo-Vancian of the Arcanist and 5e stuff. But I'd love a default point-based system.

> Item creation rules that are not completely retarded.
Don't know what you think is wrong with them.

> Replace any ability whose prerequisite is to "flank" with "receive an aid another in battle" and add the ability to take a substantial penalty to an attack roll so that it also counts as an "aid another".
Why? What's wrong with flanking?

> A "bad" save value, or a low "to hit score" needs to be and remain about 3 points below a good one, not to be a fraction which exacerbates as time goes.
Of magic is brought in line, maybe. I can stomach a Wizard with a higher attack bonus if they're not also gods by way of spellcasting.
>>
For it to be printed with arsenic ink
>>
File: PZO1110CONVERSIONE.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
PZO1110CONVERSIONE.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43742841
not >>43742841 but with the conversion guide [pic related] you can use most if not all of 3.5's releases [and with some work even some of 5E]
>>
>>43747076
Also, have an enworld.org forum thread on how to convert 1ST EDITION modules to 3.5 -

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?245278-Attempt-to-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-to-3-5-here

congratulations you now have nearly FORTY years worth of material which, with some work, can be used for Pathfinder.
>>
File: ConversionBook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ConversionBook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43747106
In fact BAM!
now you can convert 2ND EDITION DnD to 3rd ed!
>>
File: DnD35_update_booklet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DnD35_update_booklet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43747142
And theres the update for 3.5
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.