[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, everything I read about Tyrannids seems to point out that,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11
File: Video_Game_warhammer_204264.jpg (899 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Video_Game_warhammer_204264.jpg
899 KB, 1920x1080
So, everything I read about Tyrannids seems to point out that, if the Universe was a human body, the Nids would be akin to a cancer slowly eating away any healthy cells it could find and growing because of it.

Now, we all know its the Nid Hive-Mind that controls, manages and dictates how this growth is gonna happen. What traits are gonna become usable, who is gonna evolve into what, etc.

What if an individual Tyrannid happened to "be born defective" and unconnected or rampant/indifferent to the Hive-Mind? And what if that Nid started consuming enormous, indiscriminate amounts of mass and growing in a chaotic, unorganized fashion, assimilating both positive and negative traits of whatever it consumed? The more it eats, the more it grows, and eventually it's able to consume anything. As in. Anything.

Eventually you get a Nid so large and so ravenous that it represents a threat even to the Nids themselves. Now you got a cancer withing the cancer, eating away everything including the cancer itself.

Picture a planet-sized rampant Tyrannid organism. A blob of flesh randomly spazzing out plasma and eletrical currents into space. Travelling through the galaxy, eating moons, space-debris, ships, hive-fleet and even whole planets themselves. It's so fucking large and so fucking "anomalous" that it is even capable of creating a warp signature that dwarf the Astrominician.

Now I got 3 questions.

1) How interesting would this thing be for the lore.
2) Given the whole "Nids are fleeing from something", could this thing be a viable candidate.
3) What would the Imperium, and all the sentient races of the galaxy, do to combat it once it started eating the Milky Way?
>>
File: Tyranids Don't Work That Way.png (93 KB, 617x440) Image search: [Google]
Tyranids Don't Work That Way.png
93 KB, 617x440
>>43737946
1) The Imperium would just Exterminatus it. It is a blob of flesh, not that hard to kill in a space battle with guns and such.
2) The "Nids fleeing from something" is just speculation and the dumbest piece of lore for them. Completely takes the threat off of the Tyranids and makes them seem secondary to the thing they are fleeing from. It would be like if the Chaos gods were just eating souls so they could power up enough to fight the Super Chaos Gods.
3) What is it with everyone wanting Tyranids to break away from/ have different Hive Minds? It's like the Tyranid equivalent to female Space Marines.
4) How the fuck would there be a defective Tyranid from birth? They are genetically engineers, Tyranids can't really make mistakes. Mutations like that occur AFTER the Tyranid has been born, like the Ymgarl Genestealers
>>
Varying degrees of unlikely to impossible. Most Tyranid bioforms have a lifespan of a week at most, after which they're broken down in digestive pools and recycled for new ones. Big ones like Carnifexes and Tyrants probably live longer, but they all eventually throw themselves back into the spawning pool eventually. Giving them a digestive system in the first place is useless and counterproductive.
>>
>>43737972

You gotta admit the concept is interesting, and presents a different idea than just "I'mma kill these Xenos and Heretics over here".

Besides, it's speculation, chill, it's not like GW is gonna read this thread and put it into the lore.

> 1) The Imperium would just Exterminatus it. It is a blob of flesh, not that hard to kill in a space battle with guns and such

It's eating planets and ships. It wouldn't be far-fetched to assume it ate a few hulks along the way or eldar craftworlds and assimilated void shields and the like.

>2) The "Nids fleeing from something" is just speculation and the dumbest piece of lore for them. Completely takes the threat off of the Tyranids and makes them seem secondary to the thing they are fleeing from. It would be like if the Chaos gods were just eating souls so they could power up enough to fight the Super Chaos Gods.

I digress, it doesn't make the Nids any less terrifying. All it does is make the thing comming after them incredibly scary (These badass motherfuckers are running from something, what the fuck could it be?)

Making it that they are running from their own species only creates more "WTF NIDS".

> 3) What is it with everyone wanting Tyranids to break away from/ have different Hive Minds? It's like the Tyranid equivalent to female Space Marines.

Uhm, what? I didn't say anything about a separate hive-mind. I spoke about One individual of the species gone rampant. One mind is hardly a hive-mind, even if it's a giant one. This planet-eater thing isn't making more nids, it's just growing.

And I'm pretty sure that the lore already stablished each Hive-Fleet has it's own separate mind that works in harmony with the other Hive-Fleets. An individual Hive-Queen that controls the Fleet. Much like different Ant-colonies working together.
>>
>>43737972

>4) How the fuck would there be a defective Tyranid from birth? They are genetically engineers, Tyranids can't really make mistakes. Mutations like that occur AFTER the Tyranid has been born, like the Ymgarl Genestealers

Think back to the cancer example I spoke about. And notice I didn't specify the origin of this individual. Could be a Carnifex that ate something that fucked up him up to the genetic level. Could be an abortion of a Hive Tyrant that somehow survived after beind discarted. Could even be the product of a Rogue Magos Biologis trying to mess around with a captured Gene-Stealer. Whatever.

Even if we assume that, if this thing was real, and it spawned from the original nids, we must remember there are no perfect organisms. If the Nids got so far that they had to reach to other galaxies for food, then it's safe to assume they got overly complex. Overly complex organisms are prone to fucking up on a genetic level. Otherwise there would be no such thing as mutations.
>>
>>43737946

I like the idea, but not as something the Tyranids are running from, but more like their retarded redneck cousin trying to keep up with them and finally catching up after eating a few suns or what-not. As if the Tyranids said "alright, time to move on" and this little organism left behind, instead of dying, starts eating whatever is left and thus begining the cycle ye spoke about.

This would actually be a good way to kick in the new millenium without fucking up continuity.

Everyone has stop what they are doing and concentrate on this massive floating abortion that can fuck up the universe.
>>
>>43738033
Tyranid Hive Fleets don't have separate Hive Minds. There are no Hive Queens that control the fleet. There is only one Hive Mind and it is a completely immaterial thing. It does not physically exist. That is why the Tyranids are terrifying. You cannot kill the Hive Mind without killing every Hive Fleet. People like to present other wise.
To me, the Tyranids fleeing something theory is like Old Cron lore. The lore didn't focus on the Necrons, it focused on the C'tan. It was all about the C'tan, not the Necrons. And it was kinda lame.
Also, what >>43737990 said.
>>
>>43738092

Not the guy you are quoting, but there is such thing as Hive Queens. They are called Norn-Queens and they are the ones that direct the Hive Fleet and the evolutionary paths they take. Each Norn-Queen communicates with one another, and are the highest known form of Nids. They essentially form the Hive-Mind. It's not established if they think for themselves, but the Hive Mind gotta come from somewhere.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Norn-Queen
>>
>>43737946
Thing is, the tyranid super-organism isn't much like a cancer at all. A cancer is a rapidly-growing mass of tissue which can't survive outside it's parent's body. The tyranids are a functional organism, which can travel to new host galaxies.

Like all living things, tyranids will have elements which attempt to 'cheat' in order to get a better chance of replicating. Cancers are one example of that happening inside a living creature, but what you really need to understand is that cancer isn't unique... every cell of every organism in the world is constantly locked in a struggle against it's neighbours. A huge amount of the evolution of complex life is making those inherently selfish replicators work together.

So yes, individual tyranids will go rogue, splinter off, start acting independently. Not as a one-off occurrence, but as a matter of course. Because that's simply the reality of biology. And the hive mind will have complex safeguards in place to stop these rogue elements from getting too far. Just like living beings have immune systems to shut down the tumours which show up on a daily basis in any complex living entity.

Yes, you have tumours growing inside you right now. The vast majority of them never get large enough to be a threat because you are the result of millions of years of evolution to stop tumours getting away with acting against the interests of the organism. Cancer is the very rare exception which manages to beat the immune system.
>>
>>43738129
I know about Norn-Queens. They don't decide anything. They just birth the organisms.
No one knows where the Hive Mind comes from. Hell, there's even a suggestion it is an escaped C'tan, the Endless Swarm
>>
>>43737972

>Super Chaos Gods

How many more editions until this happens? It feels inevitable now.
>>
>>43738033

>You gotta admit the concept is interesting, and presents a different idea than just "I'mma kill these Xenos and Heretics over here".

I admit no such thing.
>>
tyranid organisms don't change by themselves by eating stuff like the kroot. those organisms that control the genetic changes and spawning are probably always hive nodes and they are the least likely tyranids to "rebel" in any way by either accident or some mutation etc.

genestealers have also always been independent which is represented by their ld10 and lack of instictive behaviour yet they have always done what they were designed for without any rogue genestealers EVEN if warp travel/space hulks are taken into account. genestealers are intelligent too and that doesn't affect their performance at all.

also if such retarded tyranid could be born, how would it consume biomass? other nids? it would die. some planet? how did it end up there in the first place and how would the planet have any biomass left from the fleet? tyranids do kill each other a lot when planetbound and the mission is done or there's a "rival" fleet also there.

what would an organic creature benefit from eating moons and ships? it's a ridiculous idea. a more realistic idea would be that some stray splinter hive fleet had to fight against some unnatural foe and evolved into completely different kind of being, perhaps focusing on warp or some kind of electric warfare and became something like a cancer in the warp currents or anti-life life. change in tyranid existence doesn't come from individuals except for mutations such as deathleaper but that shit's incredibly rare

>>43738152
also this, it's a hive species like ants. instead of pheromones being the most important means of exchanging information, tyranids got the warp with which to maintain control.
>>
As far as i know, there is at least 1 example of a subspecies of lictor or genestealer being rejected by the Hivemind and left to its own devices/ being hunted down. They don't move on to devour suns or anything that dramatic.
>>
>>43738159
Except they don't.
The Norn Queens are like Hive Tyrants, they are thinkers.
Hive ships do the breeding. there is a Norn Queen in each Hive Ship and the death of a Norn Queen sends a psychic signal to breed more Queens at an accelerated rate.

The Hive Mind is the collective mind of every single nid. It is not a singular entity, it is the Nid Internet.
>>
>>43737946
Tyranids speciation and development of mutations, for how fast and widespread, is still under strict control in various fashions:
First of all, only rarely tyranid organisms are able to be independent from the hive ecosystems, often having atrophied or missing parts of a functional digestive and/or reproductive system. Ensuring that it is the hive that dictates how and on what they feed, how much they live, if and when they can reproduce and, eventually, even how.
Secondly, tyranids are higly aggressive towards non tyranids life forms that they often attack each others before the swarms of different hive fleets can connect their synaptic webs and properly recognize each others, a tyranid organism that doesn't answer to the call of the hive mind would get destroyed in heartbeats when generated.
Thirdly, but related to the first point, the control over the assimilation of genes is regolated, despite being a potential of many different creatures to ensure efficient regrowths of traumatic losses in the command chain of a hive, it is ultimately the norn queens that analyze and select the genes to introduce into a new swarm, the vast majority of nids do not have the structures to secure, analyze and integrate eaten DNA. Tyranids are not kroots nor are they zergs.
An example of DNA assimilating nids are the genestealers, but they pass under numerous generations to ensure that the gene is properly assimilated without errors and are subject to control once they happen to reunite to the gene pool of the hive, like what happens with the genestealers from the moons of ymgarl.
Lastly, biology doesn't work that way, you can't just indefinitely increase the size of a complex organism like a tyranid, nor you can easily integrate the DNA absorbed at some point in all your somatic cells without a proper filial generation, don't even let me started on the matter of developing defined and differentiated tissues or organs AFTER a gestation period.
>>
>>43738183
>Slaneesh is no longer an ordinary chaos god.

>I...am THE LEGENDARY SUPER CHAOS GOD!
>>
Rogue Nids happen often enough. They die when they run out of internal energy due to no digestive system.
Or they are seeded organisims which can eat and breed, like that massive monster on Catachan or Krakens from Fenris. They just become a top predator of the local food chain.

Or if they get contaninated by Daemons, in which the Hive Mind will send a fleet out specifically to kill it completely and then order to kill themselves as a means of quarantine.
>>
>>43738033
>assimilated void shields
You do know how genetic assimilation works, right?
You do understand how utterly retarded this idea is, even for 40Ks fantastical setting, right?

You do understand a single virus bomb would utterly destroy any nid organism, even planet sized ones, right?
>>
Continuing>>43738359

You'd have to make so many assumptions about an erroneous tyranid, isolated to the hive mind but doesn't ping as a threat to the swarm to ensure its development, that has the ability to integrate and develop foreign DNA in its own tissues, that can do so without dying and can produce efficient structures and managed to rearrange its structures for gigantic proportions and interstellar travel before getting blasted to bits by other aggressive species and somehow learned how to move in space at a good speed, that at that point how other factions can react and will react to it are completely dependant on the nature of more assumptions, not really predictable, just imposed.

It's unlikely, very unlikely, so unlikely that the possibility of a parallel universe influenced by the thoughts generated in this one is more likely than that.
>>
>>43738033
Wow you're just making it more and more obvious that this is your fanfic. Listen, it's a boring idea. It doesn't fit the tyranid fluff and it's so amazingly dull. It's just an excuse to do "Tyranids+1" and try to make your own Super Cool Unkillable OC! It's like a kid on a playground having an imaginary fight and saying "well, megashadow is even double faster than sonic!" It's pointless. It's not an entertaining concept. It doesn't fit the lore. Let it go.
>>
File: Tyranids vs. Imperial Fists.png (3 MB, 1600x1107) Image search: [Google]
Tyranids vs. Imperial Fists.png
3 MB, 1600x1107
>>43738341
I would like to take note that the part of the Lexicanum article that says Norn Queens guide the evolution of the nids does not have a citation.
Furthermore, the Hive Mind is not the internet. The Tyranids are one consciousness sharing many bodies. The shadow in the warp isn't a bunch of souls together, but rather one singular massive soul. It is one personality sharing many bodies.
>>
>>43738584
Not that guy, but the hive mind is more like internet than a single mind with many bodies.

Or to be more precise, like a brain: Every part is linked to the other in some way, every cell is theoretically potentially independent and the way the cells connect or are separated and are far away from each other can create relatively separated consciousness despite still being a single thing in the greater scheme of things.

Not every gaunt is always knowing what's being seen by all other gaunts everywhere in the whole battlefield, let alone the whole galaxy or universe, there's always a certain need for a more complex synaptic coverage for stuff like that or specialized receptive structures like for hive guards, a mechanism that reinforce the idea of the flexibility to the hive mind to the point of relative fragmentation.
>>
>>43738435

You know realize that it's cannon that Nids ate multi-meltas and other lazer weaponry and then spawned the respective bio-equivalent of said weapons
>>
>>43738494

Settle down reddit, no need to be so edgy-aggressive, we are having a conversation here.
>>
i like that 40k fandom complains about the series never advances. yet when someone proposes a new race/character/thing everyone loses their minds. This is why GW only keeps retconning shit, you are all a bunch of autists.
>>
>>43738791
I think it is just a matter of interpretation. It's not wholly clear, but I've always stood that it's one thing with many bodies. But I don't think we have a clear answer.
>>43738900
But that's bullshit. /tg/ makes custom stuff for 40k all the time. This is just a bad example of one
Furthermore, personally, I don't want 40k to advance as a series. It is a setting, not a story. The whole thing is on the cusp of an Apocalypse and any race has a chance of winning. It's better when you can create your own ending rather than just having a clear cut winner, see End Times. I mean, if 40k advanced, some races are going to start being whipped out entirely.
>>
>>43738855
No, they didn't, you're understanding your fluff wrong

Laser and melta weaponry were only in the nids arsenal at the time of rogue trader, when they also had decorative belts and non biological tech

I think you're mistaking the ability to understand how enemy weapons work and produce similar with the actual digestive assimilation process or the ability produce bioplasma with something else.

Only that time they retroengineered a virus bomb would be similar to what you're trying to imply, and even with that from integrating self replicating biological structures to integrating non biological tech eating it is bullshit.
>>
>>43737946
Since this is Tyranids thread, a question: is the Hive Mind really above Magnus and even the Emperor as the most powerful in universe psyker?
>>
>>43738900
Advancement for a setting is supposed to add new situations within the limits of canon, not fucking up stuff for the sake of dynamic narrative and the compulsive desire for original stuff.

People who want the setting to advance don't understand the point of the setting.
>>
>>43738973
Maybe but maybe not, we don't really have actual measurement systems to compare such power levels.
The emperor could create a vortex that still rages to the present of 40k, the tyranids can blot out the warp in the vicinity, communicate with billions upon billions of entities and power up all the psychic powers of the swarm all at once, we don't even know how powerful the hive mind can manifest itself actually, since we don't know how many tyranids are there but we know that the hive mind gets faster and stronger the more tyranids (read hive fleets for a more countable unit of measure) awaken from the intergalactic void.
>>
>>43738973
i can't remember/don't know how tyranid synapse creature psychic powers work... at some point they were just non-warp based psychic powers borrowed from the hive mind. normally psykers die if they try to tap into the hive mind but tigurius was succesfull and he's one of the most powerful psykers. i'd say the emperor and chaos gods are more powerful
>>
>>43738947
There are two peices of fluff that I think are interesting.

The instinctive behavior table that occurs when creatures are out of synapse.

Ultramarine librarian tigirius described the hive mind as millions of chittering voices.

Such things suggest to me that the one mind in many bodies scenario is too simplistic.
>>
>>43739213
Well, instinctive behavior is just a natural response placed into Tyranids for when they are separated from the Hive Mind. They don't really have a personality, they're just animals without it.
The Tigirius thing, though does hold true, though there is also fluff suggesting the one personality thing. Again, I think it's purely a matter of interpretation.
>>
>>43738870

>Post consisting of nothing other than buzzword insults
>Conversation

The guy has a valid point. Reducing Nids to nothing other than a tool to hype up 'Stronger than Nids: The Faction' is a fucking terrible idea that works on no level if you think about for more than an entire second.
>>
>>43738973

It's incomprehensibly vast. Comparing it to the Emperor is like comparing a kiddie pool to a lake.
>>
>>43739341
The way I interpret it, Tyranid brains are designed to automatically network together into a single consciousness whenever they're in synapse range. It's their natural state of being, not a group holding a conversation so much as a single individual with the combined processing power of multiple brains. An individual Tyranid organism might hold a specific set of memories, skills, or thoughts, but they are all shared with the Hive Mind when that Tyranid is connected.
>>
>>43737946
>Given the whole "Nids are fleeing from something",

This is one in universe speculation, that he kinda dismisses because of how the nids are entering the galaxy, doesn't look like fleeing

In old fluff it states they have eaten entire galaxies worth of biomass
"Where a man sees life. the hive mind sees only something to be consumed. Such has been the fate of a thousand galaxies, of millions of intelligent species, since time immemorial."

Older fluff kinda makes them a universal force of nature, that just consumes galaxies, wiping the slate clean for new life

As for the idea of a Tyranid born defective, I doubt it would happen since they are carefully engineered and tyranids aren't "slaves to the hivemind" they are the hive mind, its just 1 mind controlling a trillion bodies. Imagine the tyranids are a human body, the hive mind if your mind, the gaunts and gargoyles and creatures are your cells, with warriors and tyrants as your brain cells/ synapses. If however one was born defective somehow, the millions of other tyranids around it would pretty much insta kill it
>>
>>43737972
It's easy to imagine the Tyranids running from something like Enslavers or the Harrowing though.

Something totally add odds with their Macro-mind set up.
>>
>>43740626
No, their modus operandi shows nothing indicating they are fleeing, there's no desperation in their decisions.

This galaxy was chosen thousands upon thousands of years before hive fleet behemoth poked the eastern fringe.

We might as well assume that the universe started existing and expanding because it is fleeting from the predators of nothingness preying over nonexistence.
>>
>>43740626
"The Harrowing" kinda sounds like a warp portal sorta deal, before anyone had any rael knowledge on it
>>
>>43740900
It wasn't Warp based because Warp based stuff didn't effect it.

It was also after the great crusade so everyone knew what Warp storms were.

It was written as an "Oh fuck dark galaxy" type of deal, an unexplainable horror that can't just be explained by lolwarp.
>>
>>43739615
Yeah pretty much this I would say.
>>
>>43738973
There is a short story of a Space Marine receiving help from the Emperor when attacked by a Maleceptor.

And there is also the time Slaanesh tossed aside the Hive Mind to get to the All-You-Can-Eat feast of Eldar during the Valedor.

Hive Mind is a badass, but not any more of a badass than the other gods on the block
>>
>>43737946
tyranids arent cancer, they were more like white blood cells. they were created by the old ones at the end of their war with the necrons gods, they were losing and wanted to deprive the star gods of their food source, which is all living things. unfortunatly the old ones are gone, but the tyranids still stuck around, and like the orks have no one to tell them what to do anymore
>>
>>43742063
>they were created by the old ones at the end of their war with the necrons gods, they were losing and wanted to deprive the star gods of their food source, which is all living things.

Please, do not post headcanon as fact
>>
>>43742063
>>43742093
Yeah, there is just as likely of a chance the Tyranids are the C'tan's doing. There was one that escaped the Necrons called the Never Ending Swarm or something like that. In any case, Tyranid's have an unclear origin as it should be.
>>
File: Tyranids-and-Zoats.jpg (2 MB, 3434x1704) Image search: [Google]
Tyranids-and-Zoats.jpg
2 MB, 3434x1704
>>43738967
>Laser and melta weaponry were only in the nids arsenal at the time of rogue trader, when they also had decorative belts and non biological tech

Almost all of it was still organic, it just happened to function exactly like conventional technology because everyone used the same gear. Though yeah, you're right, nids can mimic and counter whatever gets thrown at them, but won't actually assimilate it unless it's biological.

>>43742556
The Endless Swarm was shattered too, and has literally nothing about it beyond a name and moveset.

Before (as well as after) the Newcron fluff came and expanded the list of surviving C'tan but made them all shards, there was a fan theory going around that the Outsider was the Hive Mind or something. Despite that making no sense and barely anyone even knowing what the idea was based on.
>>
>>43737946
>Now, we all know its the Nid Hive-Mind that controls, manages and dictates how this growth is gonna happen. What traits are gonna become usable, who is gonna evolve into what, etc.
But that's wrong. Every splinter fleet has it's own hivemind, and they fight each other as much as they fight everyone else. The Tyranids don't decide which mutations are effective based on a guiding intellect; they decide based on which one eats the other.
>>
>>43737946
>What if an individual Tyrannid happened to "be born defective" and unconnected or rampant/indifferent to the Hive-Mind?
Then it's immediately recycled inside the Hive Ship prior to deployment, probably before it was even finished developing from whatever fetal/larval form it was in, because shit like "not connected to the Hive Mind" would be IMMEDIATELY detectable.

The rest of the hypothetical never comes into play.

/thread
>>
>>43737946
>What if an individual Tyrannid happened to "be born defective" and unconnected or rampant/indifferent to the Hive-Mind?
It would be put down and recycled

>>43739213
>There are two peices of fluff that I think are interesting.
>The instinctive behavior table that occurs when creatures are out of synapse.
Shitty rules are now considered fluff?
>>
>>43738973
I think it's safe to say the answer is yes.

However I think it would also be fair to say that, because the Hive Mind spends an immeasurably vast amount of its "processing power" keeping lines of instantaneous telepathic communication open between quadrillions of trillions of billions of creatures across vast swathes of space, it isn't able to manifest its power in more extreme ways as often and thus you're going to see psykers like the Emperor able to pull off more flashy, explosive things.
>>
>>43743395
>Shitty rules are now considered fluff?
Not him but, the instinctive behaviour rules are 100% supported in the fluff and always have been stemming back to writings by our glorious broodfather Andy Chambers. They aren't a Cruddace invention.
>>
File: Imperial Outpost Overrun.jpg (223 KB, 940x1000) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Outpost Overrun.jpg
223 KB, 940x1000
>>43743088
No they don't. They have one Hive Mind. Tyranids fighting each other is the Hive Mind setting up war games essentially to test which of its adaptions are better. Read Tyranid fluff before you post.
>>
>>43743537
The 1-3 result of the Feed table defies what is considered the simplest form of common sense. Absolutely no creature with even a spark of intelligence would create a soldier that would attack its own even though there's a tasty opponent another 10 meters away.

If the fluff supports this table, then Tyranids are the biggest retards in the 40k universe
>>
What happens when the tyranids eat EVERYTHING?
They have to eat or they would starve, so do they fight and eat eachother? Is tyranids eating eachother there version of inbreeding?
Will they just float around in space feeling smug?
Whats there endgame?
>>
>>43742556
>Tyranid's have an unclear origin as it should be.

Dearhleaper fangirl, or maybe was it that other tripfag making the fandex, once posted an old extract (2nd edition I think) that had a human subject to experiments on a tyranids ship that happened to have a short psychic communication from the tyrant, understanding trough images that the tyranids did in fact evolve into what they are from primitive termites like organisms after all, they were not created.
But it's old fluff and I don't even remember what was the source.
>>
>>43737946
The nids are... nothing like cancer
>>
>>43744208
>They have to eat or they would starve
Ecosystems don't work that way.

Nids don't have endgames, they have a direction, just like life: Consume, devour, grow, reproduce, repeat
The universe is a big enough place for them to eat until the very end
Or find a psychic way to another universe anyway
>>
>>43738435
>You do know how genetic assimilation works, right?
>You do understand how utterly retarded this idea is, even for 40Ks fantastical setting, right?
Nids canonically assimilated the Space Marine ceramite bones
>>
>>43744380
No? They assimilated the ossmodula, a biological implant that causes the marine to reinforce his chest, and used the genes in it for bioengineering.
>>
>not one nidder joke in this thread

Time to fix that
>>
>>43740933

They also couldn't stop it until the ad mech pulled out the absolute biggest, baddest and most forbidden-est (even by 40k standards) of weapons and tech.

Isn't it stated that explorers accidentally caused the harrowing exploring a labyrinthe of dust in space or similar and something decided to come out and say hello
>>
>>43737972
>ulation and the dumbest piece of lore for them. Completely takes the threat off of the Tyranids and makes them seem secondary to the thing they are fleeing from. It would be like if the Chaos gods were just eating souls so they could power up enough to fight the Super Chaos Gods.
I disagree.
Ambiguity is long gone in 40k, and the setting suffers for it. A setting where writers admit they make up numbers without regard to logic or whats been written in the past needs ambiguity and unexplored plot hooks.

Plus they can make it the basis for 40k End Times.
>>
40k lore sucks, worse than Blizzard lore.
>>
>>43738378
It's true though, Slaanesh really isn't a Chaos God anymore. Horned Rat is.
>>
File: 1420788565922.jpg (145 KB, 670x424) Image search: [Google]
1420788565922.jpg
145 KB, 670x424
>>43744208
Hibernate while drifting through the universe until they find more food.

>Will they just float around in space feeling smug?
>Tyrarenids
>>
>>43744208
Like OP has said, they're like a cancer. Their success would end in the death of their host universe, and thus the death of themselves.
>>
How to Tyranids react to mutated humans?
>>
>>43744884
Like they do all things. By eating them. And if they can't do that, killing them.
>>
>>43738584
Regarding the shadow in the warp thing. An old school codex makes mention that the shadow in the warp that tyranids create is due to the lack of such a thing as a soul as they are just bioconstructs. It is basically the same effect that the pariah gene generates on a massive scale.
>>
>>43739508
>>43738973
>>43743477
Not so fast.
We've seen the Emperor's power BTFO of the Hive Mind.
>>
>>43745100
And then eating them
>>
>>43745100
But wouldn't they be biomatter they wouldn't want tainting the genepool?
>>
>implying the tyranids aren't the antibodies
>>
>>43738378
First has to to collect all the chaos emeralds, and Sanic would stop him.
>>
>>43738033
>assimilated void shields
Tyranids are not borg.
>>
>>43737946
Pretty simple actually. The tyranid individual grows until it fills about our solar system's volume, and then collapses in on itself into a black hole.
>>
>>43748021
No.
They eat Space Marines all the time, a Scalie wouldn't be any different.
>>
>>43738404
How does a force that produces the shadow in the warp ever get dicked over by daemons?
>>
>>43748021
biomatter is biomatter. Once you've broken it into its constituent parts, like the nids are want to do, it loses most of the information.

Tyranids are more after the hydrogen, carbon, iron, etc that make up organic life. Not necessarily the DNA.
>>
>>43748654
Daemon world, daemon summoning cultists or marines, active warp gate, daemonic possession, daemon infested spacecraft.
I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now.
>>
>Ctrl+F Hellstar Remana
>0 results
step it up /tg/
>>
>>43746572
It was the emperor helping a powerful librarian fending off 3 maleceptors

Not exactly what I would call a direct and complete comparison between the emperor and the hive mind both as a whole
>>
>>43748021
The swarm doesn't integrate all the DNA it finds, it gets selected if not in the digestive pools too, by biomorphs like the malanthropes on dead or dying foes.
>>
>>43744818
>and thus the death of themselves.
How?
Once you have all the biomass of the universe you could just live off cosmic radiations and suns, maybe even looking for to get into another universe to eat more.
The ride never ends.
>>
>>43744208

I like to think that the Hivemind has planned its feeding rhytms to give old galaxies the time to respawn life
>>
File: VeryHungryNid.jpg (190 KB, 1078x837) Image search: [Google]
VeryHungryNid.jpg
190 KB, 1078x837
>>43737946
>>
>>43748021
All biomatter is good to them though, isn't that the case?

And even if they reach upon biomatter that somehow taints them, I'm sure that eventually the hivemind'll create tyrannids that are able to eat it.
>>
I can accept these things break down entire planets for food but I find it retarded that they can completely reabsorb fallen nids again and again with no loss of this biomass. It's retarded.
>>
>>43752303
They'd only have to worry about loss of energy. Conservation of matter and all that.

And since they're moving around all the time, a brutally efficient photosynthesis operation could take care of that.
>>
>>43752303
Shit nigga, do you even know how life works?
>>
>>43752315

Tyranids are one of the physics ignoring race, like Necrons. Their travel just instantly warps them and the narrator doesn't know how it works, and they somehow retain 100% energy and mass from inter-fleet conflicts. It may even be over 100% which makes no sense since the survivors are described as "even stronger than the previous two put together". This isn't a figure of speech or metaphor, you literally put in Hive Fleet with mass, power, energy levels of 2, make them fight Hive Fleet with mass, power, energy levels of 2, and the end result is 5.
>>
>>43737946
I'm pretty sure what you're describing is an infection and not cancer that does not eat healthy cells because the body maintains the growth for it.
>>
>>43752414
Warp travel ignores physics for all races.
There's no mention of them saving 100% of their energy, in fact pursuit of energy is pretty much never addressed nor cared for, it's 100% conservation of mass we're talking about, that any complex and efficient ecosystem is capable of having with a proper intake of energy.
Since pursuit of energy is never addressed it means they have a way to get enough easily: suns, radiations or warp energy, take your pick.
2+2=5 because there's a little 1 represented by the informations and refinements acquired and tuned during the battles.

It's already been told multiple times and you continue to not get it.
>>
>>43752303

They're bioengineered horrors, they've probably been fine-tuning how to make their bodies recyclable for millennia.
>>
>>43737972
>>43737946
>>43737972
>4)

If the Tyranids made something that strong, huge, fast evolving and obviously much more powerful than them, they would battle it until it is death or it becomes the new Hive-mind (which would probably infest the new hivemind and try to assimilate it).

That's how they work. They fight each other for resources and devour the weakest party in order to evolve.
>>
>>43744884
>>43745100
>>43748021
>>43748674
The one's in charge of getting potential new DNA for the hive fleets are the genestealers.

But most of the time the fleet will adapt by itself.

>>43752215
Some kinds of 'bio'-materials are not good enough for them, like the Necrons. They would avoid to fight them because consuming them would cost far more than ignoring them.
>>
>>43748021
Do you add the shit you eat into your genetics? The answer is no...
>>
>>43752303
Yes, the way ecosystems function by recycling nutrients is pretty retarded...
>>
File: femarines.png (2 MB, 1002x855) Image search: [Google]
femarines.png
2 MB, 1002x855
>>43737972
>>
>>43742063
>they were created by the old ones at the end of their war with the necrons gods
Fucking hate people like who post theories as facts, older fluff states they have been around since almost the start of the universe
>>
>>43743720
The fluff around it states they become uncoordinated and attack like beasts. They no longer employ tactics and the like. The new IB chart is shit and doesn't add any interesting flavour to the nids
>>
>>43744208
>Eat galaxy 1
>Eat galaxy 2
>Eat galaxy 237,098,564,283
>A billion years later return to galaxy 1 which now has new life

Repeat cycle
>>
>>43754246
>it becomes the new Hive-mind
What? The hivemind isn't 1 creature, like the zerg overmind. There is no centeral control creature, if they did evolve some super super nasty thing that was really effective, the hivemind would simply make a lot of them

>They fight each other for resources
No more than your intestines fight your stomach for the food in it, they only fight fleets that have been apart a long time and developed differently in order to find out which fleet is the more effective killer (really just a retarded reason to allow nid vs nid matches)
>>
>>43754328
Genestealers are more like homing beacons.
A planetary genestealer population will call for the hivefleet, the greater the population the stronger the signal. So a dense populated planet will have more genestealers and a stronger signal.

Hive fleets just have to follow thse signals to delicousness.
>>
>>43744644
fuck off blizzdrone
>>
>>43756660
>The fluff around it states they become uncoordinated and attack like beasts
Even beasts are aware enough to not eat each other while there's other food right in front of them. This shouldn't be a thing since Tyranid organisms are created by intelligent beings who are capable of learning and adjusting the behavior of their troops. A sudden outburst of cannibalism during a charge towards the enemy is an obvious flaw and should be corrected
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.