[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your biggest "I fucked up" moment in tabletop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1331841626226.jpg (24 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
1331841626226.jpg
24 KB, 400x392
What's your biggest "I fucked up" moment in tabletop gaming /tg/? Plans you didn't realise had a terrible flaw until they were too late, terrible sequences of bothced rolls, things that you've done with horrific consequences, etc.
>>
I rolled three Critical failures in a single roll of 3d20 while listeing into an empty room. Apparently the resounding silence burst my eardrums.
>>
Blood Bowl.

2 out of 3 games are this.
>>
>>43737235
So, there we were, confronting the BBEG and his minions.

The fight took place on a dozen of flying carpets, constatnly shifting and rearranging their position, miles in the air.

As we find ourselves on the opposite side of the formation from the BBEG mage, he begins to cast some powerful spell. The skies darken, an orb of eldrich energy appears between his hands...

One player grabs the artifact he found a while ago - a short staff with a single charge... and the power to disspell all magic in a 50 meter radius - including the flying carpets, of course.
>>
>>43737285
Did it take out the BBEG?
>>
>>43737301
It did.

So it's a win-win, I guess
>>
Tried to run-away with heretical documents, i was planning to profit in it by selling them.

Got shot by bolter fire from my comrades.
>>
>>43737235

nWoD Mage Game - near end-game levels. Mage is in Russia investigating rumours of Vampire activity on behalf of the Arrow. Manages to track down some local Vamp. nobles and through some chicanery gets an invite to a soiree where the hobnobs were going to talk shop amongst the difference clans of the region. Expected a few dozen munchers. Planned on going in with a shock and awe impact, put the fear of God into them and get them back in line.

Fucked up on several levels and ended up in the middle of thousands of them.
>>
>>43737235
My party got into a fight with a Tyrannosaurus Rex. I, as a Rogue, decided to stealth attack it and did substantial damage... then it noticed me. I nearly managed to one-shot it. It managed to one-shot me.
>>
>Party stumbles upon a wounded giant wolf
>Wizard goes for the kill with his knife "to put an end to its suffering"
>Mononoke Hime-expy appears
>says something in an unknown language
>Wizard blasts the branch she was standing on, no fucks given
>Two bad rolls later, Hime dies of a broken neck
>she was the priestess they were supposed to search for, the only one who could stop the incoming doom
>>
>>Be the only one of the party that's still alive, deep in a dungeon with no hope of escaping.
>>Get to the end boss.
>>Good stealth skills so he did not see me
>>Say fuck it, I'm the only one left, but with good knowledge rolls, I identified it.
>>Holyshitthisthigcandisintegratemewithfreeactions
>>fuck
>>Go invisible and skulk towards it with the only weapon that can hurt it.
>>DM says that I can see above it some kind of a shining thing
>>Rolled high enough on my knowledge that I'm pretty sure with slightly above average rolls on initative I could kill it in one round
>>Decide to be a cowardly cunt as I played him until then
>>Skulk towards that artifact and grab it
>>World goes white
>>Dungeon explodes with my character in it
>>Awake somewhere...but not myself anymore. Rather, the character is changing with each level
>>Pretty sure I'm becoming a monstrous undead abomination that I could have killed as I level up, the DM says nothing.
>>
Dming lmop, players are in the redbrsnd manor, run into a room and start loosing a fight with like 4 guys, 3 rounds in and I realize the redbrands are supposed to be drunk, poisoned, and rolling disadvantage and I fuuuuuucked up.
>>
>>43737235
> DMing
> Heh, Yuan-ti are neat!
> "Yuan-ti Anathema is awesome. Maybe it'd cooperate with PCs and offer grafts and stuff?"
> "Yuan-Ti god is kinda neat, a Nature Got of Chaos and Evil".
> Oh, I know!
> Have a Yuan-ti temple overrun by an undead plague.
> A good part of the Yuan-Ti fell willingly to the plague, for personal power.
> Yuan-Ti god wants his ex-followers to suffer for their betrayal.
> Through the Anathema, design a plant that roots off the plague, bring the fella's back to life, but causes the victim to slowly and painfully choke to death.
> Extra gifts offered by Anathema.
> PC goes "So you want us to grapple these people and force our seed down it's throat so that they chokes to death... really?"

Now everyone believe it's a magical realm thing. And I can't blame them.
>>
>>43737235
>1/2
This might be a tad long, but please bear with me: We were playing PF in a homebrew setting. Basically, the only planes of relevance were the material plane, the ether (where the dead go, the gods dwell and where magic comes from) and an alien sentient dimension of annihilation known as Gaztarosh, or "The Destruction". The elven queen, in mythic times, used an artifact to ascend to godhood into the ether to seal our planes from Gaztarosh, which was seeping into everything. My character (male witch) was a descendant and reincarnation of her consort, who sacrificed his own life to repair a fuckup of hers during the ritual, becoming intertwined with all three planes during the process (this is important).
>>
>>43737460
>2/2
Long story short, we were chasing a drow who we suspected was wanting to undo the seal and who was way, way more powerful than anything we could bring to bear. We knew he was after the artifact the elven queen used, which was thought lost, but my character received a vision that led to him to its location, a holy temple near the elven capital. We naturally wanted to prevent the enemy from getting his hands on it. It was a focusing crystal in the midpoint of the central stained glass dome of the temple, hidden inside a star made out of mithril. We talked to the clergy, dismantled the dome and finally saw the crystal, just sitting there, radiating unbelievable power. We just sat there for a while and looked. Then I decided to move forward with the action and said "I grab it".
Oh boy.
The vision I received? Turns out it came from Gaztarosh. He wanted me to grab the thing in order to turn me into a rift through which he could invade our plane, bypassing the seal. So, as I fell to the ground, screaming in agony and basically spelling the end of the world, the other party members tried to remove the crystal from my hand. It didn't work, being stuck by overwhelming force. They did the only thing that could save us all: Chop off half my arm. As they did and removed the crystal from my person, the influx of power was stopped, but the walls between the planes in the region were already fucked beyond repair. They took my unconscious body and the crystal and teleported the fuck away. We could see from a few miles away how the area around the temple folded in on itself and just vanished, forming a crater several hundred meters wide. The entire high clergy and the most revered site of the elven religion were annihilated.

But hey, we had the crystal.
>>
My biggest "I fucked up" moment is probably the time where I was cursed with recklessness and charged directly into a guy with a spear. I then exploded because I was basically a blob of magic and dying made it unstable, so at least I killed the guy.

The second closest I have is probably the time where I accidentally killed a hostage. Luckily I had enough charisma to bluff my way around that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.