[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trying again because i'm a bad player and need help. So
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: logo.jpg (24 KB, 600x235) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
24 KB, 600x235
trying again because i'm a bad player and need help.

So I am about to play with another guy against a Sinestro corp team of 1000 points with myself and the other player running 500 points each. so i come to you wondering what i should run here?

i know that the sinestro player will be running ffwol003 Sinestro, wol057a Superboy Prime, wol021 Lyssa Drak, and possibly: wol037 Karu-Sil, and wol013a Romat-Ru

also, heroclix general i suppose?
>>
It depends a LOT on what characters and game pieces you have access to, and are allowed by the scenario or house rules you are playing.

The Sinestro Corps are not one-dimensional like the Red Lanters or Blue Lanterns, they have enough choices to build a balanced army so there's no glaring weak spot for you to take advantage of.

One idea would be to look for characters whose stats cannot be modified by opposing characters, thus protecting yourself from the Yellow's usual negative-perplex tactic. Also, if he's using the Yellow Battery the emotional spectrum effect can be brutal so whatever you do, DON'T play a swarm army of low-cost characters.

Another general piece of advice would be to try something drastically different from what your opponent is expecting; for example, instead of building a normal army how about a 500-point Colossal fig or Team Base?

Other than that, you gotta play smart, take advantages of opportunities when you see them, and roll well with your dice. Good luck.
>>
>>43730098
well, i'm not opposed to buying pieces for this game, i will likely get a lot of mileage out of them.

i was considering bringing a 500 point justice league international with the bug vehicle to the game but outside of the bug and the beetle made to pilot it, i i have no idea who to include.
>>
>>43730218
The best success I've had with the JLI is to bring Lobo and characters with lots of damage-reducing powers like Captain Atom and Martian Manhunter, and play them all with the JLI ATA.

Keep Lobo adjacent to as many as possible, and don't rush him into the fight too much. When your guys take hits, use the JLI ATA to shrug damage over to Lobo (he'll heal it right back in the next turn or two anyway). Using this tactic, all of your characters effectively have their armor improved; Someone has to be hitting for at least 4 damage to actually hurt anyone with Invulnerability or better.
>>
>>43730098
would wkD-008 Question be a good piece to run here against all that perplex? i was kinda thinking of running mystics to at least cause feedback damage from mystics but sinestro has pulsewave.

>>43730385
i never thought of using lobo like that, i usually park him next to guy to give him a top dial 19 and just use him as a beat stick.
>>
Since there is a thread, i'll make a few questions about the game. I recently bought a starter pack of heroclix, the dota 2 ones. Are they viable for a LGS heroclix tournament? As in, will I lose too hard or can the team put enough fight so that it is at least fun? Also, is there a video so I can learn the game? And finally, is 2013 core rulebook up to date or do I have to dowload a new one?
>>
>>43730686
this should be the most up to date rules:
http://heroclix.com/downloads/heroclix-rules/#axzz3rzGNUYkD

ism not too familiar with how tournaments work but you may not be able to use those pieces. sometimes it a draft tournament and i dont know how formats work. you may not want to play those pieces though, looking them over they dont feel very good. i mean at a kitchen table it could be fun and i whole strongly encourage casual play in this hobby. hell if i could figure out that one program i would even offer to play with you to get you used to that team.
>>
>>43730686
Call the local tournament venue and ask if they mostly play "modern age" or "golden age". Modern Age restricts play to only the non-retired DC and Marvel sets (expansions get retired after about two years of tournament play). In Golden Age anything goes; whether or not DOTA is viable will depend a lot on your skill and strategy, as well as what characters and strategies are favored by the local player community.

>>43730621
Question is definitely not a bad place to start if you have one in your collection, but he's only 1/5th of your team and even playing the full Trinity of Sin lineup will total only 400 points. But using a "mystical" keyword theme-team does bring a lot of options with it. But don't rely on the Mystics TA to win your game for you... yes, you'll do a handful of damage to your opponent, but only as a consolation prize for your team being DEAD.

Another thought: Try playing Larfleeze to take advantage of his "absorb constructs" trait.
>>
>>43730952
i do have more than enough orange lantern stuff to run 500 points... the two construct types, hal, and sayd. as well as the ring.
>>
>>43730767
I went to look my LGS website to see if they specified anything about tournament rules and it seems they are holding an event for people who want to learn this sunday, I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for this thread. I'll go there and see if I like the team and/or the game. Thanks for the rules.
>>43730952
They are running Modern Age tournaments with 300 points teams, so I'll have to buy new stuff if I decide to play this game often, which brings a question to the table. How expensive is buying this stuff? I don't mind it being yugioh-tier(T1 Decks reaching $300 but with T2/3 being affordable, some as low as $40) but if it is Magic-tier(forget about playing for less than a hundred) then I'll have to pass.
>>
>>43731258
i would go with what you have and learn about the game then.

as far as cost goes, its not too bad, buying singles is much cheaper most of the time, buying packs is also an option but you might not get anything good.

HCO is a program that if you can find people to play it could help you learn a bit.
>>
>>43730952
so if i run the trinity of sin team base i dont get the question's ability to make all perplexs a power action, but i do get a REALLY tough to fight team base. so maybe i could run the trinity plus a question, is there a rule against that?
>>
>>43730686
faceless void is one of the worst heroclix pieces ever made. of all time. (he was my favorite when i played dota ;-;)

razor, witch doctor, and tidehunter are all perfectly acceptable-but-not-outstanding pieces. Lich SEEMS amazing but depends a lot on your opponent allowing you to use chain frost, and then it actually working with his 10 attack.
>>
>>43731778
Void is my favorite of the five ;_; What makes him so bad?

I'm okay with them being bad though, I bought them because they came with a cosmetic item that was being sold for more than what I paid, so I think of them as figurines I got for free. Playing with them is just a nice plus.
>>
>>43731973
he would be a lot better if he caused pushing damage with those action tokens.
>>
>>43731973
razor is kinda the scariest of them all pulsewave is one of the most broken powers in the game and he has it traited.
>>
well, shet. and I was about to make a deal with someone for his dota2 clixs... in that case, ideas for a team based in DC? I'm thinking maybe in Trinity War and the CSA.
>>
>>43732240
superman and wonder woman just got a set, plenty with the kryptonian and amazon keywords. also wonders of the world has got a nice team going for it. trinity war created whats being viewed as THE superman right now. pairing it with the batman and wonder woman from that set makes for a nasty team.
>>
>>43732275
oh, reporter, metropolis, and mystics also got some neat stuff.
>>
>>43731973
>>43732115
like i said, 3 of 5 being decent (and yeah i probably should have put razor higher than the others) isn't bad, and you got the coolest map that's been made in years.

>>43732081
and if it wasn't an epic action, which isn't usable until 400+ points, and if his stats werent fucking terrible, and if he wasn't made of paper.

he's just The Worst.

>>43732240
there's the obvious "buy fast forces run atomica + ____" but that's boring.
>>
Noob type of question. why things like Red Son clixs or motherfucking Constantine are so costful? what makes them so valuable?
>>
>>43732330
the red son pieces are the chases from the set, so you got 1 per case i think. that may have been messed up a bit because of the super booster.
>>
>>43732374
Dammit not again. I guess I'll just have to comform with Earth 2 clixs unless you tell me those are also rares.
>>
>>43732502
No, those are mostly commons. They are pretty good too. There is also a fast forces with pretty good versions of the characters. Truth be told the red son pieces aren't too great together so you aren't missing anything. The soldier keyword also received a pretty definitive piece, general lane, running him with that redhulk with leadership and a few others here and there you can make a nasty team.

Uhhh.... I wanna say you could put together a really good metropolis line up with Clark and some investigative reporters as support. The steel from this set was kinda decent, ulisies is also pretty good. Guardian is a great tie up piece.
>>
>>43732676
Those investigative reporters are a pain in the dick. I've fight a team with them before and they really hampered my red hulk.
>>
>>43728722
It's been years since I played. I just stacked as many cheap claws and probability control characters as possible
>>
File: horrified.png (587 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
horrified.png
587 KB, 800x600
>MFW I own several thousand £ worth of heroclix but I can't contribute because I've only played a dozen casual games
>>
>>43734522
I play exclusively casual games but still I buy stupid amounts of them.
>>
>>43734984

awesome stuff buddy. I've been playing themed games with people, where we try and have stories joining it up. With that many superheroes you can tell some pretty epic campaign narrative.
>>
>>43735513
This is what I wanna do but the only person I play with is a man-child about trying anything new
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.