[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1447722369878.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1160) Image search: [Google]
1447722369878.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1160
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Old thread >>43709703

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Who is your favorite Demon Lord in 5E?
>>
I'll ask again in this thread cause the other one is nearly dead.

Grappling a creature you are frightened of? RAW you just get disadvantage on the check to initiate and maintain, but everything else is as normal, assuming you already had the creature grappled or were right next to it.

It's this right?
>>
>>43728377
That is correct.
>>
>>43728229
Baphomet because of Ragnarok Online
>>
>>43728377
Grappling implies moving closer to a creature, You can't approach the thing that frightens you, I'd rule against it.
>>
File: 39_d.jpg (198 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
39_d.jpg
198 KB, 800x600
>>43728435
This.
>>
Heh, the retard of the other day who said shields are weapons so you can't dueling is asking Crawford about it, Crawford tells him that no, improvised weapons are only weapons the moment you attack with them, not before or after, and the guy still keeps asking the same shit.
>>
Speaking of BBEGs....my players just remembered that they found a deed to some land / a Keep in one of our first sessions. They forgot who had it, no one recorded it, and they asked to roll to investigate among all their belongings for it; of course Nat 20.

So anyways, /5eg/, you guys decide: What should be occupying this land that they have lawful claim to?
>>
>>43728782

Technically nobody, but it was built on an ancient elven burial ground, so as you can see, things are gonna get pretty spooky.
>>
>>43728229
>Who is your favorite Demon Lord in 5E?

Is there a list?
>>
>>43728829
That works pretty well actually. The area was called, "Half-Moon Hallow"
>>
Guys, I'm having a blast with my devotion pal3/undying light lock6/draconic sorcerer6, in the end my GM realized he was being irrational banning all UA due ambuscade and allowed me to play undying light, having the time of my life and competing with the most martial PCs in the group at meleeing.
>>
How would you handle grapling rules while the grappler is mounted? There seem to be no rules for that.

As per rules you use the mounts speed for movement and not your own halfed speed, but that doesn't really make sense as the mount could carry 2 or even 3 creatures.
>>
>>43728442
>assuming you already had the creature grappled or were right next to it.
>>
>>43728973
>Moving a Grappled Creature. When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.

I would rule that you use the size of your mount to determine whether its speed is halved or not. So you'd be able to drag a Small creature without penalty as long as you're riding a Large or larger creature - regardless of your own size - as all you have to do is maintain your grip while your warhorse does the heavy lifting.
>>
File: Orcus_Mosaic_Thumb.jpg (208 KB, 600x420) Image search: [Google]
Orcus_Mosaic_Thumb.jpg
208 KB, 600x420
>>43728229
>Who is your favorite Demon Lord in 5E?
Gotta be Orcus. Love me that necromancy.
>>
>>43728229
Demogorgon, vanilla choice I know but I can appreciate a demon lord who got to the top by the simple method of driving his foes mad and then slapping the shit out of them, feels like what the Abyss is all about.

For one that's not yet in 5e Pazuzu.
>>
I saw this posted here before but didn't save it for some reason, so does anyone have the Tiefling feature table from AD&D 2e Player's Companion for Planescape?
>>
File: RandomTiefling.png (2 MB, 1496x1932) Image search: [Google]
RandomTiefling.png
2 MB, 1496x1932
>>43729420
Maybe.
>>
>>43729467
Thanks! Does it say how many of each one is supposed to take?
>>
>>43729498
Somewhere in whatever book I got that image from...
>>
>>43729515
Eh not too important, probably not balanced for 5e anyway.
>>
Might as well. Any tips on how to play/build a Drunken Master? Currently just taking Way of the Open Hand and adjusting the fluff a little bit. Any input?
>>
>>43729498
Presumably, as you're posting in the D&D 5e thread, you're not actually playing 2e, so why not simply take as many non-mechanical features as you feel is appropriate?
>>
File: tumblr_noh7pnQRDy1scmasjo2_1280.png (231 KB, 1019x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noh7pnQRDy1scmasjo2_1280.png
231 KB, 1019x1920
>>43728229
>that pic
I miss cyclops civ threads ;_;
>>
>>43729498
If I had to take a guess: 2 abilities and 3 appearance traits.
>>
Who wants to hear the shitty beginnings of my shitty homebrew class idea?
>>
>>43729765
This is 4chan. Don't ask, just do. People will shit on you either way.
>>
>>43729765
> shitty homebrew class
Nobody.
> shameless exhibitionism
Post or don't post; never post about posting.
>>
>>43729863
>>43729862
Basically it casts spells by lying to the universe about being able to cast spells.

Planning on basing it on Loki from Norse Mythology. One archetype gets wildshape, the other gets other stuff I'm not sure of yet.
>>
>>43730033
Always nice to see people misinterpreting Loki as some kind of compulsive liar.
>>
>>43730033
> what is bard with charlatan background
>>
>>43728229
Man, the Mushroom Kingdom got dark.
>>
>>43728229
Woah whats that source of that? Is zuggtmoy playing a big role in 5E?
>>
>>43730166
Fetid Wedding in OotA
>>
>>43730033
So basically something you can already play by refluffing some other class?
Brilliant!
>>
>>43730201
looks cool as shit - what are the details? I feel kind of cheated though, since I was making a big campaign for my party where Zuggtmoy and Jubilex were the overarching villains.
>>
>>43730033
Sounds like Kill Six Billion Demons.
>>
>>43729279

I like Pazuzu a lot too, he's got a lot of interesting lore and it actually makes sense why people would worship and form cults around him, as opposed to "can only speak in meaningless shrieking babble and wants to destroy all existence" Tharizdun.
>>
I'm having a short campaign revolving around the PCs fighting in a Colosseum run by a cabal of Wizards, but the twist being that before each match the party can try and accomplish a crazy task in a pocket dimension dungeons to get an advantage in the next fight.

What would be some interesting challenges to give them?

I've thought of having them start at the top of an hourglass type tower that's magically flipped and filled with enemies to slow them down. I'm lax with the setting so anything's fair game.
>>
File: Character Creation.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character Creation.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Can I get some feedback on my character creation setup I'm thinking of using for a short campaign [Levels 1-7]
>>
>>43731425
Give Monk and Ranger something
>>
Anyone have experience with Rune Scribe?

I am thinking about taking just 1 level on my Blade Singer and getting the Ice Rune, pretty much just for Icy Mantle. The rest of the stuff is alright too, but I feel like Icy Mantle would make it pretty impossible to get hit.
>>
>>43731425
> no variant humans
> 2 free skills for normal humans
This is stupid. Allow VH or don't, but this is debatably more OP than VH.

> Eldritch Knight uses bonded weapon as focus
Make sure you add focuses to the EK spellcasting feature, period. Otherwise you WILL end up with some literal-minded autist that insists the fighter class itself is incapable of using foci anyway.

> fixing bladelock
All of this is still only so-so. Banishing strike is worse than repelling blast in every way (melee spell attack, shorter push distance).

Everything else looked fine.
>>
>>43731649
>This is stupid. Allow VH or don't, but this is debatably more OP than VH.

?????????????????
>>
>>43731649

>This is stupid. Allow VH or don't, but this is debatably more OP than VH.

Roleplay faggot detected
>>
File: Character Creation v.1.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character Creation v.1.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43731500

Rangers and Monks have access to the actions under the Misc. section. Plus, at lower levels, Rangers and Monks are fine (I say this based off of a campaign [Levels 1-8] where I played in as a Way of the Shadow Monk; a friend of mine said he had fun as a Ranger and only started feeling shitty after level 10+].

I will forever try to 'fix' the Bladelock because I love it's delicious flavor so. I gave it the Extra Attack feature at 6th level to keep it analogous to the Valor Bard / Bladesinger, who are both full casters.

Two skills are in no way more overpowered than a feat, in my opinion.

Added the note at the top that SCAG options are allowed.
>>
>>43728902
Explain hiw your build works and your bsckstory
>>
>>43730033
Go for it, don't let these guys discourage you!
>>
>>43731774
Monks have shitty str, misc doesn't help them, and that's like saying disarm helps wizards
>>
>>43731838
Not him but I remember he was going to use GFB and quickened GFB in the same turn, he also had elemental adept. He also had pretty decent rolls

As far as his background goes I only remember half elf paladin of Bahamut with far traveler background
>>
>>43731774

Variant human not allowed but aarockra is? Enjoy your snowflake campaign
>>
>>43732121
>butthurt featfag detected

Nobody even plays Aaracockra anyway, they might get flying but they get nothing else. It's fucking boring.
>>
>>43731774
Stone's endurance up to 4 times per short rest? Why?
>>
>>43732211
Then tiefling with wings
>>
>>43732219

What campaign reaches level 17 or 20? Plus, Anon specified it would only reach level 7.
>>
>>43732247
Cool, then, stone's endurance up to 2 times per short rest? Why?
>>
>>43732233
Which you have to ask for DM permission for and need not be explicitly banned beforehand. Just like the half-elf variants.
>>
>>43732247
>Not understanding what up to means
I assume English isn't your first language, right?
>>
>>43732268
>All races & spells from PHB / EE / SCAG fine to use
>>
>>43732233
>>43732268
I'm still not even sure why the winged tieflings were mentioned. There are like 200 fey'ri or some shit in all of Faerun. The tieflings really should have gotten a similar sidebar to Aasimar "Not really common to the setting."
Then again, so should Dragonborn, Genasi, and Goliaths
>>
>>43732311
Not sure if those winged tiefling are Feiri, they don't have disguise self
>>
File: THE OL SPICY TEACUP.png (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
THE OL SPICY TEACUP.png
35 KB, 600x600
>>43732311
because people like them, you spaghetti, the point of being a PC is that you are uncommon
>>
>>43732341
I assumed that was a balance thing.

>>43732395
Ehhhhhh......
People also like not having restrictions, but the SCAG was quite clear in that FR games restrictions apply,
>>
Poster of the character creation pdf here.
I'll be honest, I'm pretty bias about those stoney bastards after having a lot of fun playing a Goliath Fighter in 4e .
Looking over it, multiple uses of their racial ability is a bit much. I'll change it back to normal.
>>
>>43732624
The only thing I'd change is that, on top of immunity to cold climates (but not cold weather ;^)) give them resistance to cold damage
>>
Question came up in my last game, what do you guys think about a Dragonborn using their acid breath to melt a lock on a chest or door or something of that nature?
>>
>>43732787

Wonderfully creative. I'd allow it.
>>
>>43732787
the acid melts the lock into a slag around the chest/door, permanently sealing it. That'll teach you to be creative.

Application of acid to locks has to be a bit more discriminate.
>>
>>43732865
What the fuck are these chests made of?
>>
>>43732787
I'd allow it. Unless it's a full steel door / chest with a steel lock, there is no reason acid damage could not destroy the lock or the wood around it.
>>
>>43732897
Fuckudmium. Obviously.
>>
>>43732865

>How to spot a shitty DM

You are probably the kind of DM to make players say when their PCs are taking a shit, or you will have them get stomach cramps in the middle of a battle and fall prone.
>>
Does using Planar Binding to keep a summoned elemental around for longer count as slavery? We've got a character in the group who's very much opposed to slavery of all forms and isn't sure if he's okay with us making an elemental serve us for 30 days.
>>
>>43732787

How strong is a dragonborn's acid anyway? I always assumed it was strong enough to cause injury to flesh but not enough to melt an enemy's sword, so I probably wouldn't let it work on a lock directly. I'd try to find some way to reward the creative thinking behind it, though.
>>
>>43732959
It depends.

Did the elemental sign a contract or otherwise consent to being held on your plane for the time allotted? If not, it is slavery.
>>
>>43731552
You just need the kalt rune for that.
>>
can i take the resilient feat more than once? for different abilities
>>
>>43733044
No. You can't you fucking illiterate monkey. Read the PHB.
>>
>>43733062
thanks
>>
>>43733062
To be fair OP didn't specifically say like in other recent threads to politely read the PHB.

but I'm being sarcastic I agree with you fuck that guy
>>
>>43732999
Well, going by the DMG's object rules, a lock will have 5 hit points. Hitting it with an attack good enough to damage it would be a bit difficult (AC 19) but since the acid breath requires a saving throw, concentrating your breath on it could likely melt it away in one go. Even if you consider iron resistant to acid damage, there's still a decent chance of being able to blow through it, though the using your breath weapon or breaking it with a weapon, for that matter) would be pretty loud.
>>
>>43733090
But what if I want to angrily read the PHB?
>>
>>43733114
well you look pretty mad so I'm not going to correct you, I'll just be being quiet in my corner while you smash stuff
>>
This talk of feats like resilient got me thinking, outside of elemental adept, is there actually any feats one can take more than once? I have yet to find one.
>>
>>43733200

In a single campaign, you'd be taking one or two feats max.
>>
>>43732927
For that you'll also have to roll for diarrhea
>>
>>43732823
>>43732917
>>43732999
>>43733096
Thanks for the input guys it helps a lot mechanically, I just felt that the breath types should have bit more flavor to them.
>>
>>43733200
Elemental Adept is the only one you can take more than once, at the moment.
>>
>>43733213
Quite true, unless your a fighter or variant human, but that's a mote point since it doesn't answer my question.

To rephrase, is elemental adept the only feat one can take twice?
>>
>>43733272
Thank you, that seemed to be the case but I wanted to make sure i did not overlook anything.
>>
File: smugilar.jpg (32 KB, 250x217) Image search: [Google]
smugilar.jpg
32 KB, 250x217
>>43733231
>Make a STR save to force out your no-fibre turd
>>
Which would ultimately be better for paladin, a half elf or a dragonborn? I wanna make a vengance paladin who uses a great weapon (greataxe or greatsword).
>>
>>43734192

Whichever works for your backstory.
>>
>>43734192
The one that better fits your character
>>
File: The_Devil's_Contract[1].jpg (116 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
The_Devil's_Contract[1].jpg
116 KB, 900x600
>Get a new group of players
>Decide to do something fun and before they build their characters tell them their parents hid a dark secret from them
>"Each of you had your souls signed away to a devil while you were young. You may have been an infant, a child, or maybe even in your early teens. Choose a reason (or talk to me and we can work one out) just know guys that you now work for a devil."
>They all build their characters
>End up with a Monk, a wizard, a rogue, a paladin, and a druid
>All good characters having recently found out that their soul is forfeit to a single pit fiend (save for the paladin of vengeance who found out as a child and swore to hunt his parents down and send their souls directly to the nine hells)
>The game starts tomorrow
I am really excited for this. The players seem to be excited as well. First thing they are doing is sabotaging the workings of a pit fiend that pissed off their master.
>>
Are flying PC's (Bird person and now Tiefling) that troublesome to DM's that they're banned left and right?
Why don't DM's just play to the weaknesses of it more? Like the enemy spotting you in the air and setting up hidden ambushes farther ahead. Or enemies with nets? Or the fact that there's one less person on the ground for the enemies to bulldoze through so your allies end up getting more of a whoopin'.
>>
>>43734272

It is just REALLY annoying to ALWAYS have to cater some shit to the one flying faggot in the group.

SO MUCH shit can just be blown through if you can perma fly. You ALWAYS have to come up with something SPECIAL for your SPECIAL LITTLE SNOWFLAKE flyer.

A lot less painful to just ban them.
>>
>>43734212
ok then. Well desu I have an idea for a back story for both races. The dragonborn backstory is more interesting though. Basically he is pissed at Tiamat for not being born as a full fledged dragon and has vowed vengeance against her and those born with the blessing he was denied. This backstory is mostly based on what I read of dragonborns in the test version of the players handbook, where dragonborns were basically dragons not blessed by their god before birth so instead developed as humanoids instead of dragons.
>>
>>43734305

>player wants to try something different or fun
>SPE-SHUL SNOWFLAKE

Why all the animosity?
>>
>>43734305
Nah we have one in my campaign it's really not that bad and most of our adventuring happens indoors and underground in dungeon. I guess if your campaign isn't mostly dungeon crawling it's different but honestly the (bard) in our campaign never used his Birdman abilities except jokingly squawking at innapropriate moments and going "what?"
>>
>>43734335
It's fun for you...
Nobody else.
>>
>>43734305
So much this.

>I know I will put a pit here
fly over
>Well...I can have kobolds in the rafters here shooting down on the-
Fly up to them
>The room will fill with water and the players wont be able to find the switch that drains the room until the last moment because its on the cielin-
Fly up to it.

I mean goddamn it annoyed me enough in 3.5 with the fly spell. At least that is toned way the fuck down in 5e.

>>43734335
Anything that makes my job quite a bit harder when designing challenges and puzzles is a right pain in my ass and ends with less fun for everyone involved.
>>
Would it be unreasonable to ask my DM for an upcoming game if I could go STR +2 / CON +1 for my beefy, Krogan-like Dragonborn, instead of the CHA boost?
>>
>>43734192
Half-Elf helps with the MAD nature of paladins, and offers overall more versatility in terms of skills, or the ability to choose features from full elf races.

However, dragonborn stats match up nicely also, and the breath weapon really helps with aoe, which is a weakness of paladins.

Overall though it's like the other anons said, choose the race that fits your character better.
>>
>>43734335

It is the same reason why I hate Wild Magic. This kind of shit always takes the spotlight away from everyone else for some attention whoring faggot. And they do it over, and over. They rub it in everyone's face that THEY CAN JUST FLY TO THE TOP OF THE CASTLE. or THEY CAN FLY OVER THE CAVERN

The flying faggot ALWAYS has a SOLUTION (That involves his flying) for everything

Flying Faggot is ALWAYS blasting through encounters unless I ALWAYS put a ranged enemy in, god forbid I just want to throw a Minotaur at them.

It is just dumb to deal with. Nobody likes dealing with it. The other players don't like dealing with it. The DM doesn't like dealing with it. The only person that enjoys this is the attention whore faggot.

BONUS POINTS: Player picked a Wild Magic flying race. Thats when you know that player just needs to be kicked from the table.
>>
>>43734379
Nah just ask
>>
>>43733381
>nat 20
Oh look, hemorrhoids
>>
I'm starting a new campaign with a new group after we did a short 2-session adventure. We're voting on the premise. The following are the pitches the players will vote on. Please rate each from 1 to 5:

1. Life, Death, Law
> Continuing the previous adventure, perpetuating a campaign of theft and sabotage against an evil priest with a mind-controlling book and aspirations towards taking over the world.
> Setting: City
> Themes: heists, plotting.
> Inspirations: Payday, Shadowrun

2. Island Dawn
> Great King Eustace has declared the the holy Island of Kukulan is to be colonized in the name of the Crown. Players will join the campaign to explore the island, protect the colony, and discover what happened to the lost expedition 20 years before.
> Setting: Jungle Island
> Themes: Expedition, Survival,
> Inspirations: XCOM, Christopher Columbus.

3. Long Distance
> While all the wizards of the world are disappearing, a stranger approaches the players with dire news: a meteor is headed for the planet, and their only hope lies at the other end of the continent. Could these events be connected?
> Setting: Lots
> Themes: Journey. Epic
> The Hobbit, Oregon Trail

4. Golden Shore
> Everyone's heard of Luximar Adar, the lost Dwarven City of gold. But when a merchant finds undeniable proof of its existence, the hunt is on for the greatest treasure imaginable.
> Setting: Desert
> Themes: High adventure, Treasure hunting
> Inspiration: Indiana Jones, Westerns
>>
>>43734388
Tbh this sounds like more of a your group problem than a general problem.

On the other hand I will admit flying can be broken and I think the reason most people ban it is because they would rather keep everyone on a level playing field than have one person who needs to be dealt with specially or they will literally beat everything without range or flying just because they are higher up.

Personally I would not ban it because I already use enemies with ranged mixed with melee in most of my games. Probably the best solution but I know that can't be done in all games.
>>
What things would an extremely powerful and ancient witch keep around her house that my players could end up getting in trouble with? I am running an RP heavy sandbox game and my players got hired on to work for a baba yaga like figure who runs a shop of esoteric magic.
>>
>>43734560
Bunch of cursed stuff
>>
How are Aarakkocra in combat? I have a bird god in my setting that created different flying races so I wanted to have a few different ones, but it seems like being able to fly and just shoot a bow from up high would be really good sometimes.
>>
>>43734560
A painting that sucks in anyone that looks at it for too long.

A decanter of endless live crabs.

A bottle of liquor that gets hotter the longer it's out of the bottle.

Various arms and appendages that hand from a string. They all want to shake hands.

A short, cushioned stool that follows you around and pesters you if you stop sitting on it.

A cursed branch that turns the players' face upside down.
>>
>>43734631
>shoot a bow
Better example would be using spells but yeah.
>>
>>43734560
Just a few suggestions, first from the DMG then some custom stuff: Efreeti Bottle, Iron Flask w/ demon inside, Cubic Gate (will need to choose 5 planes that could fuck up the party or be really bizzare), Deck of many things, A closet of sentient brooms of flying, Potions of polymorph, Wand that gives sentience to inanimate objects, broken wand of fireball (goes off at random when held).Just a few ideas off the top of my head.
>>
>>43734615
Thats a given. Currently I have plans for a few mostly harmless ones
>Eversmoking bottle that the cap wont go back on
>Ring of summon Djinni that works as soon as you touch it (and they are quite pissed about being called)
>Box full of broken magic wands that can cause all sorts of chaos
>Box full of vampire bats
>Stone that weighs more the farther you try to move it
>Ring gate to the plane of elemental fire that keeps shooting flames that the players dont know the key word to turn off
>A jar of magically addictive honey
and other things of that nature. Mostly the players are housekeepers that haggle with the occasional wizard looking to buy bulk bat guano or very specific amounts/quality items used in spells.

>>43734636
Thanks these are all great ideas.
>>
I'm brand new to D&D, would the average person know of the whole multiverse thing? Or would it depend entirely on what world it is (people of Sigil would almost certainly know?)
>>
>>43734711
Not bad ideas, thanks.
>>
File: 1319116158405.jpg (74 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
1319116158405.jpg
74 KB, 461x523
had my first no show game today

5 player game, 3 didn't show

feels really depressing man

I even brought them food...and that one dedicated player felt pretty bad for me too
>>
File: X Party X.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
X Party X.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>43734870
Sorry to hear so. Sometimes shit just happens though. Talk to them and see what happened. Don't let it get ya down. It'll all be good.
>>
>>43734870

Did you suck off the two that showed?
>>
>>43734870
My group has a slack so we are always in communication if someone can't come and it's worked really well. Idk if that would help your group.

We also have an alt campaign for when people don't show.
>>
File: 1444522556132.jpg (63 KB, 799x596) Image search: [Google]
1444522556132.jpg
63 KB, 799x596
Minor PotA spoiler notes.
>Want to mix things up, insert an extra magic item into the module for the players to find since they're somewhat new and very excitable about magic items
>+1 dagger that turns into a +1 shortsword when it draws blood, and does an extra 1d6 if you hit an enemy with the attack that makes it extend, absorbs all blood on it after 1d6+1 rounds and retracts
>My way of describing it made it sound far more sinister than intended, but the player is rolling with it
At this point it's practically begging to turn out to be a cursed item, especially if this player doesn't get many more magic items in the future. Currently the party's caster has a wand of magic missile, and the monk nabbed a ring of fire resistance that I might give an on/off switch to trade the bonus for +1 fire damage to unarmed strikes. They are currently in the Earth Cult's base, and he has dubbed it the "Blood Trinket" after Renwick Caradoon the resident philosophical lich made clear his apathy for magical weapons. How should I progress this? Have the weapon begin to take on sentience and a minor boon/curse after he continues to kill with it? Have it extend into a longsword with finesse and light? Are there any neat personalities for evil sentient weapons in books yet? Maybe turn it into another DMG weapon, like adding the Mace of Terror's effect?
>>
>>43734870
>Expecting people to show the week before holidays
They should have called you, but still
>>
File: pathfinder.png (25 KB, 321x101) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder.png
25 KB, 321x101
Guys, rate this build:
>1st Variant Human Fighter, Great Weapon Fighting style, scores STR 15+1 DEX 10 CON 13+1 INT 8 WIS 14 CHA 12, Lucky feat
>3rd Champion Archetype for crits
>4th Ability increase: Great Weapon Master feat
>6th Multiclass to Fighter 5/Fighter 1, take Defense fighting style for bonus AC
>8th You've got your second Second Wind and Action Surge, return to Fighter 6 and continue progression with Ability increase: Strength to 18
>10th Another ability increase for Fighter 8/Fighter 2: Strength to 20
>12th Fighter 10/Fighter 2, so you get another style from Champion, take Two-Weapon Fighting because if you got this far your DM will let you have two greatswords
>14th Fighter 12/Fighter 2, ability increase: Charisma to 14 because you're fucking sexy
>16th Fighter 14/Fighter 2, ability increase: fuck it, put your Strength to 22 and see if your DM even notices or cares anymore
>18th Fighter 15/Fighter 2, you've now got 18-20 crits so multiclass to Fighter 1, take Archery fighting style and start juggling swords
>20th Eldritch Knight archetype for weapon bonds, you can now retrieve your swords as bonus actions once thrown. You also gain hilariously ineffective spells for toying with the commonfolk.
>Congratulations, you've reached the pinnacle of the Fighter class as a Triple-Classed Pure Fighter (final class Fighter 15/Fighter 2/Fighter 3)! By now you're surely some form of minor God or at least Patron Saint of Fighters, so don't forget to milk the clergy for ever more elaborate greatswords.

The multiclassing rules don't forbid multiclassing to a class you have - "new class" implies it but a 1st-level class is "new". Extra Attack is stated not to stack implying other features do stack. Obviously, requires cooperative DM.
>>
>>43735141
you think this is some kinda fooking cartoon m8
>>
File: 1446528423080.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1446528423080.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
>>43735141
you can't multiclass into the same class. You also cannot gain additional fighting styles from any source other than the champion archetype.
>>
>>43735141
If you tried to pull that shit at my table i'd smack you and tell you we're playing imaginary fantasy adventures, not shitty somantics that a 5 year old trying to get out of bedtime would think were stretching it.

You can't multiclass into the same class.
>>
>>43735169
You actually *can* get additional fighting styles through multiclassing. You just can't take the same one twice.

Everything else is his post is dead wrong, though.
>>
>>43735141
Are you the same kind of person that thought you were allowed to get + 8 times your casting mod on fireball as an evocation wizard/dragon sorc?
>>
>>43731864
>>43730033
Yeah, let me discourage you! Homebrew has it's own thread for a reason.
>>
>>43735174
sorry, misread. I thought it said you cant get another fighting style, even if you get the option from another source.

Still, can't multi-class fighter into fighter.
>>
>>43735141
You reek of pure threeabooness with that build and your apparent level of reading comprehension.

You're the kind of wannabe optimizer who manages to get his shit slapped even with the most cowed, domesticated 3e DM.
>>
>>43734228
Edgy, but I'd do it.
>>
>>43735141
>not just playing Battlemaster 11/Champion 3/Fighter 2/Fighter 2/Fighter 2 for five action surges
>being this pleb
>>
I'm playing paladin. It seems like any time I can use a spell slot, I should spend it on divine smite. That's what it seems like to me.

Am I right?

What are some cases where Divine Smite should not be used, and another spell should be used instead? Bless? Shield of Faith?
>>
>>43735694
Shield of Faith? All the goddamn time. It's one of those abilities that paladins need for endurance tests, since they're basically a less-effective fighter right up until they start CLEAVING AND SMITING.

The other smites have plenty of uses, especially if you can't just melt a target in one shot.

Cure wounds, nigga.
>>
>>43735712
So I should shield of faith in almost every battle right?

What are the other smites good for? I'm looking them up right now but most seem kind of lack-luster.
>>
>>43735731
Wrathful smite is great. I'm also partial to searing if you know that there's a particular vulnerability.

And no, don't shield of faith on EVERY fight, but figure that if you're going to be causing trouble, or standing in doors or something, board+shield of faith+chain mail= 22 AC at a very low level
>>
>>43735746
My DM is going to be putting us on a boat and I think he hinted at water creatures. Based on pokemon experience, I'm thinking of picking up thunderous smite for lightning damage.
>>
>>43735778
Thunder damage and lightning damage aren't the same thing.
>>
>>43735784
Because making sonic a damage type instead of thunder was too hard for WotC.
>>
>>43735796

Sonic used to be a damage type. It however was changed to Thunder in 4e.

I personally prefer the change. It feels more fitting with the other names. After all, not all Fire damage comes from literal fire.
>>
>>43735694
if nobody else is blessing the party, then Bless.
you won't be the best blesser, as a frontliner, but someone's gotta do it, and the ST bonus helps keeping concentration.
>>
I want other DMs opinion of how you'd rule something that happened in my last session
There I was, infiltrating the main villain lab with my arcane trickster.
I was alone because all the other players love their fucking heavy armor too much, so they were a serious burden on a stealthy mission.
Finally find a very valuable piece of information. Get so excited that I'm caught of guard by the villain itself, that immediately cast on me some weird spell that paralyzes my whole body except for my head so he can talk with me.
After some talk and some nice charisma checks of mine, I get more information from him then he gets from me and I decide that I want to scape. Here was my plan: since I had my arcane focus on my hand (in case I was surprised by something- and I was) and couldn't move my hands, I wanted to cast suggestion with the phrase "since we talked for a while, I guess we are good friends, so why don't you lift your spell and wait for me on the tavern nearby so we can have a beer?"
Problem was: the DM thought that, since I couldn't move my hands, I wasn't able to use my focus properly, so I couldn't cast the spell.
What the fuck? It's a no somatic component spell!
Ended up in the fuckers dungeon, locked behind bars.
Seriously, /tg/, tell me that this makes no sense at all.
>>
>>43735996
According to RAW, if it has requires no somatic requirement, having your focus in hand is enough to cast a spell. I'd have knocked any items from the PC's hands and freezing him though, meaning it was the DM's fault for the situation and he's probably miffed you ruined a sweet storytelling moment with logic.
>>
Is it just me or is the berserker path for the barbarian really shit if you're dual wielding? The first feature of it is useless because you already get the bonus action attack from dual wielding, and the rest of the path features are just kind of 'meh'.

Though that really sucks cos berserker gives more of that 'juggernaut' feeling while the totem warrior seems to be more of a 'one with natural fury' vibe.
>>
>>43735996
Pretty obvious if the spell doesn't have an S component then simply the item touching your flesh would be more than enough to cast it. Your DM fucked up.
>>
>>43736183
Don't dual wield or just play a blood-thirsty fighter. Or play a character that dual wields when out of frenzy and uses a greatsword while in.
>>
>>43736036
I FUCKING KNEW IT

Tough, now the damage is done already. I'm locked without my focus or any material component, and there is only so much Charm Person can do with guards.
I hate to rely on the other players...
>>
>>43736216
The only option is to piss on the bars, use the tattoo of the prison on your back, dig through the wall with a spoon, and then create a prison football team starring Adam Sandler.
>>
>>43735996
>>43736216
>>43736237
ok just use that nifty lil mage hand to steal some keys with sleight of hand & stealth. Or charm them and then and then use the mage hand to get the keys stealthfully while you strike up a pleasant conversation. Seems like a solid plan to me at least.
>>
>>43736183
it's custom made for the big barbarian with a 2 hander, why are you trying to use puny girly weapons?
>>
>>43734981
expect the players to sell everything for cloaks of elvenkind.

anyway, why would a bloodthirsthy dagger end up with a light effect? it's an assassin's tool, why not darkness instead?
>>
>>43736183
>TWF
>Ever
>>
>>43736183
dual wielding as the feat? shit, that's a trap option.

TWF is only "useful" for rogues and melee rangers.
>>
>>43735604
>Implying multiple copies of "You can action surge once per rest" ever adds up to more than one action surge per rest in Jeremy Nofun Crawford's edition.
>>
>>43736216
Well, if you're paralysed or stunned, you might be able to speak only haltingly, and since you can't take actions, you cannot cast suggestion. Nothing to do with components. Just a fact of being incapacitated.
>>
>GM fucks up with a homerule he forced upon us so he decides to go back to the original rules
>No retcon for PCs though, they still have invested on now useless crap
I want to chocke a bitch
>>
>>43737031
what did you have to invest in that would be so bad to sink money into?
>>
>>43737068
He added two skills that were mandatory, to later realize PCs having those two skills messes with his campaign, so now we have two skills that we can't use.
>>
>>43737137
Call him out on his BS then. PC's don't get that many skills to chose from unless they are a bard, a rogue, or a half elf. Even then though thats no excuse to steal your skill slots.
>>
>>43736237
Damn Adam Sandler, the only flaw in this escape plan

>>43736277
That was my first thought when I got behind bars, for some reason those are the kind of guards that don't carry the keys with themselves.
My DM is not fond of having his story plot plans thwarted

>>43736661
Even if I'm only paralyzed from the neck-down?
>>
>>43737251
sounds like your stuck on the rails then. Only two options. One, you keep riding Mr. Bones Wild Ride for the rest of the campaign. Two, You quit. A third option would be to talk to him about it but unless you are close friends it's not likely to help. That's my opinion at least.
>>
>>43736495
I meant literally have the longsword be finesse and light. Like a shortsword.
>>
>>43737251
Well, there's no halfsies paralysis in the book, so that'd be up to the gm.
>>
So one of my players is starting a campaign where we all start at level 20 with a "powerful" magic item that can be from the manual or custom. He already approved a ring that gives invisibility when the wearer does enough damage to himself or others.

I am a Divination Wizard, and anything that gives me more spell slots has already been shot down.

Ideas?
>>
>>43737915
There are some amazing magic staff items in the DMG. Maybe an orb in that power range, with effects based on scrying and portent.
>>
>>43737949
I was originally going to be a sorclock but I was made fun of for being a "no fun dps overoptimizer" so instead I decided to annoy him by cheesing with lucky and portent
>>
>>43737031
>DM uses the errata when they nerft PCs
>DM don't uses the errata when they boost PCs
>>
>>43728229
whats the diference between redying an acrion and delauing your turn?
>>
>>43738364
Readying is a thing you can do in 5e, delaying your turn isn't.
>>
I guess I'll ask here.

I got asked by a few friends if I'd like to DM a campaign. We've all known each other for a long time, so chances are high we're going to stick to the game.
I've forcefed my brain everything the 5e PBH has to offer and am now going to read the DM guide.
As our first encounter I chose the module "Sunless Citadel". The last fight is against Belak, the Outcast. What if my PCs decide they want to join him? I'm not the kind of guy to say no to that option, what would I need to do? Obviously the module gives no explanation whatsoever about this.

>tl;dr: PCs want to sumbit to enemy, what do?
>>
>>43737915
Rod of Absorption
Robes of the Archmagi
Daern's Instant Fortress
A Ioun Stone of either greater absorption, intellect or mastery.
Depending on alignment a Talisman of Good or of Evil.
A sphere of annihilation combined with a Talisman of the Sphere
Tome of the Stilled Tongue

If all else fails be a gnome, grab some goggles and ask for an Apparatus of Kwalish, be the magical tank driver.
>>
>>43738422
Sunless Citadel is a class low-level dungeon crawl, good choice. It runs pretty well in 5e (maybe even better than 3.5e, since short rests make continuing through the dungeon without going back to town more viable), but you should definitely recalculate some of the fights just in case (I suggest http://kobold.club).

If they offer to work with him, just run with it. He wants to find more people to submit to the Gulthias Tree, so getting some of the townspeople there might be in order. While they do that, Belak might be plotting to ultimately feed them to the tree as well, and the town will get more suspicious as people go with them and don't return. Put some effort into describing the surviving goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears. Maybe a bugbear or two are assigned to keep an eye on them, not to go into town with them obviously but to make sure they're not plotting behind Belak's back.

It's an interesting way to go, but realize that Belak is an evil motherfucker and plan consequences (good and bad) accordingly. Ultimately, I don't think many people go that way. Belak's pretty damn evil.
>>
File: Tiefling Swordmage.jpg (52 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling Swordmage.jpg
52 KB, 450x675
Thinking of a new build with SCAG.

>Pump STR and CHA.
>2 Levels Fighter for Fighter proficiencies.
>Either Dueling or GWF.
>Next 6 Levels Storm Sorcerer.
>Use Witch Bolt and Booming Blade with Quicken.
>Enemy can stay still and take WB damage, or it can move and take BB damage+op attack.
>Eventually takes Heart of the Storm Damage on top.
>Next level Eldritch Knight.
>When I don't feel like spending SP, just cantrip and slash.

Thoughts?
>>
>>43738545
>Witch bolt
That spell sucks
>>
>>43738473
I read everything I need to know about 3.5, which mindfucks me even harder now because I need to forget some of it because things changed.
I know my friends very well, I know that one is going to be a ranger, two are going to go for spellcasting classes, one will support and one will "tank" (just deal melee damage, but pretend to save everyone).
I've spent a ridiculous amount of time weeding through google links and leddit threads. What I've learned so far is that 3.5 spellcasters are too strong and the game gets more imbalanced the higher the levels are, plus the fact that "Save or suck" is a thing.
I'm really torn between the two, because I'm new to this stuff.

Thanks for the link, by recalculating you mean balancing the enemies in case they're too weak I suppose? There will be 6 PCs total, all unexperienced.

If anyone feels like helping me out I'd be glad to add you on Skype, Steam, Facebook, w/e.
>>
>>43738563
It did suck. Then Booming Blade came around and made it viable.
>>
>>43738574
In what possible way does Booming Blade make it viable?
>>
>>43738563
With Booming Blade, you can actually force people to stay in range of Witch Bolt now. That's not bad.
>>
>>43738591
If you use Witch Bolt, then Quicken Booming Blade that same target, it can either move and take damage or stay still and take damage. It can no longer just leave WB's range.
>>
>>43738545
Don't sorcerers have flaming sphere? if don't, man, sorcerers suck.
>>
>>43738545
Quickened requires two sorcery points. So at 8th level you can do that three times in a long rest with that build.

You'd get more mileage out of basically anything else.
>>
>>43738598
Couldn't you just use cloud of daggers instead and not eat your action every turn to do it?
>>
>>43738608
You know you have to spend an Action to make WB deal damage, right? so you are quickening BB every turn like a retard?
>>
>>43738636
You can't move cloud of daggers though, so it becomes useless once the enemy moves 5ft
>>
>>43738624
They don't, but with their limited spells known they probably wouldn't go for it much anyways. Twinning Hold Person or breaking out Pyrotechnics provides better control, and Empowered Scorching Ray is better damage.

>>43738630
Yeah, this is essentially a build that lets you lock down a single target for the better part of a battle, unless you're constantly turning your spell slots into SP.

Another major weakness is that Witch Bolt requires an action to use, so I'd still have to quicken cantrips to get the most of it.
>>
>>43738608
>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
As per page 202 of the PHB, you can't cast Witch Bolt with a Quickened Booming Blade. You can Quicken the Witch Bolt instead, though. On subsequent turns, you can Quicken to leave an action for Witch Bolt's activation.

>>43738545
What does Eldritch Knight add to the build other than a few more spells (which have Int as their casting stat; so basically just fuel for Sorcery Points)? I'd go Battle Master if it were me, to fuck with enemies even more.

Do Dueling and GWF add to Booming Blade's secondary damage? I'd imagine not. Perhaps consider Defense for all the damage you'll be eating from unhappy enemies, or Tunnel Fighter for when you're out of Sorcery Points?
>>
>>43738704
>As per page 202 of the PHB, you can't cast Witch Bolt with a Quickened Booming Blade. You can Quicken the Witch Bolt instead, though. On subsequent turns, you can Quicken to leave an action for Witch Bolt's activation.

Okay now you're being pedantic, there's fundamentally no difference between the two.
>>
>>43738704
>What does Eldritch Knight add to the build
You get to grab some abjuration spells and maybe Greenflame Blade (no Int).
More importantly, if you stick with EK you can eventually (level 15 in this build) cast & slash on your turn.

Battle Master probably provides a better immediate bonus to damage and ability, so that's totally valid.

>Do Dueling and GWF add to Booming Blade's secondary damage?
You make a normal melee weapon attack as part of the spell, so Dueling and GWF both apply to the primary damage, but not the secondary.
>>
>>43738771
>More importantly, if you stick with EK you can eventually (level 15 in this build) cast & slash on your turn.
War Magic (which I assume you're referring to) doesn't work in this specific case, as it specifies:
>Beginning at 7th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.
However, you're using your action to maintain Witch Bolt (as the description states that the spell ends if you use your action for anything else), and likely your bonus for Quickened Booming Blade.

>Dueling and GWF both apply to the primary damage, but not the secondary.
Good to know I wasn't reading it wrongly. I suppose it's valid to take either for the little bit of added damage, but I'd probably go for something else to help my own or my party's survivability. Do what you prefer, though.

>You get to grab some abjuration spells and maybe Greenflame Blade (no Int).
As I recall, Sorcs should get Shield by default, which is basically the most important Abjuration you can find. Taking Greenflame Blade is fair, but might not be worth the level unless you're going further. Again, do what you prefer.
>>
So I was thinking of making a West Marches style campaign but with a single group.

Idea is game starts out in a city. They have limited space to build and grow and have dealt with revolutions and other issues that have reduces the city to a decrepit state.

It's a normal day the sky is its normal vibrant red when suddenly cracks appear in the sky. Players start here as someone runs into the only bar still standing and everyone starts flipping their shit.

Eventually the Sky cracks and the great Bottled City erupts forth from its container and after the massive upheaveal that occurs they see Blue sky and feel Wind upon their skin.

After hundreds of years the spell is broken and their City has returned to the world at large. Much knowledge has been lost due to power struggles and fires and other things that occured in the city during its hundreds of years in a bottle.

The players must now explore the world and find out if there is any civilization left. Answering questions like why the city was sealed among other mysteries
>>
>>43738858
>War Magic (which I assume you're referring to) doesn't work in this specific case
Yeah, I was thinking I could use that ability when I'm not Lightning-locking a target down. Since SP only regenerate on the long rest, I have to find other ways to spend my time.
>>
>>43738771
In fact GWF is now only on weapon's damage, aka the damage your weapon and only your weapon deals, thanks to Jeremy Nofun Crawford, so doesn't matter how many extra d8 you roll, you don't reroll 1s and 2s in any of them.
>>
>One person can't come but we still run with the session
>TPK
>Next session
>DM says guy didn't die if he doesn't want to roll a new character as he wasn't there
>'so what magic items do I get from all the dead party members?'
>>
>>43738929
Would it have been so hard to specify that like with savage attacker? Did 5e just not have an editor?
>>
>>43738968

That's what you get for being a pussy ass bitch and dying.

Hope he waves your own magic items in front of your face, then throws em into a volcano.
>>
>>43739012
I didn't have any
>>
>>43739011
It's funny that the PHB makes a clear distinction everytime between Weapon's damage dice and Damage dice...but for GWF doesn't, and after 1 year they decide to mention this.

In my opinion this is only knee-jerking, GWF was intentional the way it was before, but with the current spells (GFB, BB) it became too powerful so the decide to change it and blame us for "misunderstand RAI"
>>
>>43739118
Is the additional damage from GFB and BB really what's sparked this? To me it seems like RAW you would use the GWF buff on the damage dealt directly on the target of the attack by the cantrip, but not on the fire damage, or boom damage for moving. Is that so bad? Fighter gets extra attacks that eventually outscale it, Barbarians can't cast while raging, and Paladins have smites.
>>
>>43728229
Yay, someone used the wallpaper from last thread. :D
>>
>>43739118
Why not just tell us it's because x made it exploitable? I'd be fine if it was errata'd due to new material, but saying it was just misunderstood from the start makes everyone look incompetent
>>
>>43739375
>Makes everyone look incompetent
Nah, they'll use the "you're minmaxer" card
>>
>>43739375
>WotC
>admitting they were wrong
>ever
Dude.
>>
My group said they enjoyed last session!

Apparently, I just need to keep them in combat and that's all they need. I don't know, maybe that's fine.
>>
Is OoTA not a very encounter heavy campaign or something?

We have had like 3-4 sessions and I don't think we have had an actual encounter yet. We have fought some Drow Scouts a few times, and then some really easy slime encounters (Literally one little slime that got buttfucked before it got a turn) in the Slime Temple, but that is it.

Does this campaign just start out slow or what?
>>
File: SammyMad.jpg (52 KB, 1702x759) Image search: [Google]
SammyMad.jpg
52 KB, 1702x759
My group entered an empty village last week. After some searching, they couldn't find any signs of conflict, but they realized that the birds were watching them.
They looked at the roofs and saw dozens upon dozens of magpies, all watching them, staring directly at them.
Then, they saw a laughing child running towards a field.

>I'm out.
>What?
>Yeah, I've this movie before. I'm not chasing any creepy-ass children into some creepy-ass field with creepy-ass birds following me.

mfw
>>
>GM expects you to have the versatility and power of a 20th level character as a 1st level one
Ok, maybe I got 5e wrong, but I thought being overpowered and polyvalent weren't its main features.
>>
File: berserker.jpg (112 KB, 724x1024) Image search: [Google]
berserker.jpg
112 KB, 724x1024
>>43736198
>>43736477
>>43736501
>>43736622

I was aiming for this feel of character, though now that I think about it, straight barbarian might not be it. Fighter 11/Barbarian 9 seems good though, getting the three extra attacks from Fighter plus the bonus attack from dual wielding. Improved critical plus being a half-orc, and then brutal critical at 9th for a barbarian.

The overall idea was to just swing, swing, swing and crit as much as possible.
>>
>>43739516
Eh? You're supposed to meet like a dozen different oozes in the Oozing Temple (and also have some shenanigans where you're running out of air the whole time.

You check twice a day for encounters, not counting the pursuing Drow from Velkynvleve, and you have about a 40% chance of getting a random encounter each time you do, either a terrain encounter or a creature encounter. Or a terrain encounter featuring creatures.

In addition to a bunch of set encounters, the Oozing Temple is one of them, there's a Lost Tomb, a Hook Horror lair full of Gnolls and a big cavern full of spiders. Have you met any of them?
>>
>>43739732
>The overall idea was to just swing, swing, swing and crit as much as possible.

Angry Champion.
>>
>hurr durr y u don't have heal bot
>hurr durr y u don't have skillmonkey
>hurr durr y u don't have jack of all trades
>hurr durr y u don't have proper tank
>Group is now S&B protector fighter, Rogue thief, Life Cleric and Knowledge bard
>Hurr durr y u deal so little damage
I give up
>>
>>43739900
>rogue thief

That's where you went wrong.
>>
>>43739965
We had an assassin before, GM complained about him not being enough skillmonkery and focusing too much on damage
>>
>>43740008
Have someone go Bear Spirit Totem Barbarian if you want a tank who can deal shit loads of damage. It's the middle ground, I feel.
>>
>>43740008

Who the fuck makes a "Skillmonkey"?

Just pick all the OP shit in this game so the GM can go fuck himself with his whining. Teach him a good lesson.
>>
>>43729585
You wouldn't happen to also have a donkey that you are about to embark on a quest to Awaken, would you?
>>
>>43740008
All rogues are pretty much the same in their skillmonkery. And bards are better
>>
>>43740070
He'd probably like that. I uave a dm that build encounters specifically designed to be broken by OP characters in two seconds so he can burn through material quicker
>>
>>43739900
>>43740008
Your GM sounds awful
>>
>>43730606
Figure out who the Doppleganger(s) is/are is always a fun game.
>>
>>43732787
I'd say specify what materials can and cannot be melted.Leather? Yes. Wood? Sure. Stone? Maybe. Metal? No.

Something like that.So while the lock might stay intact, the lid of the chest (and potentially whatever is inside) can get melty.
>>
>>43735141
Hahahaha well done
>>
hello!!!! i've only played D&D once in my life before and it was ages ago. friends want to try it now. what do.

just start learning the most recent edition?
>>
Im confused, how does the Lay on Hands ability work for paladins?
>>
>>43740389

You get a pool of points.

You can give anyone as many of those points as you want?

Want to just heal someone for 2? Heal em for 2. Heal another dude for 1. Heal yourself for 10.

As long as your pool of points is there, you can give anyone as little or as many as you want.
>>
Lore Bard here. If I get Magical Secrets at level 6 and steal two Cleric spells, can I eventually retrain those two spells for a higher level spell from any list? I took Locate Object early on and it proved extremely useful many times but the campaign's shifted and I haven't used it much and was hoping to retrain it into Sunbeam since out group needs a bit more damage output
>>
>>43740335
yes
>>
>>43740580
No
>>
>>43740608
Well shit. Could I retrain it for an equal level or lower spell or can you not retrain Magical Secrets at all?
>>
>>43740638
No, but you could ask your DM.
>>
>>43740666
Alright cool. In the best case scenario I'll retrain into Sunbeam if the DM really needs the damage it can lay down. Not quite best case scenario he lets me retrain into another spell equal or lower to Locate Object. Worse case scenario I just keep Locate Object. not a huge loss.

So if I can't take Sunbeam, what are some good low level spells that scale nicely for damage? Chromatic Orb?
>>
File: Dragons-Lair[1].jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dragons-Lair[1].jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
How would I play a character based on Dirk from Dragons Lair? Fighter? Paladin?

i was thinking starting with a level of rogue for skills and expertise in perception and acrobatics (or maybe athletics)

Video for reference of the shit he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwOzgFJxaQ
>>
>>43740760
Man, that game must have required some hardcore concentration to play.
>>
>>43740959
It did/does. I beat it a few years back while emulating it without savestates (using them is cheating). It took me a few weeks to do it. Don bluth is trying to make a DL movie which got me thinking about it. Now I want to play dirk in DnD for fun.
>>
>>43734388
It sounds like you're just being lazy. Of course the flyer is going to use their flight to overcome obstacles. That's part of their skill set. Do you get pissy when the wizard uses magic to solve a problem? When the barbarian hulk smashes its way through things?
>>
>>43728977
By a literal reading of the rules, you're correct, there is nothing technically preventing you from grappling. However, as a DM making a common-sense ruling, no you can't try to hug (or continue to hug) the thing that you have suddenly become deathly afraid of.

That's just my own ruling, though.
>>
>>43740760
>How do I play an intentionally stereotypical fighter who does fightery things with a sword

If you find that difficult, maybe roleplaying isn't for you
>>
Do you think they'll ever develop and release a new setting?
>>
>>43734379
It's not unreasonable to ask, it's just unreasonable to pitch a fit if your DM say's no.
>>
File: ask again later.jpg (48 KB, 900x602) Image search: [Google]
ask again later.jpg
48 KB, 900x602
>>43741160
>>
>>43734636
>A painting that sucks in anyone that looks at it for too long.
But only if you're carrying a little girl's doll.
>>
>>43738929
Fuck that. Those two (Mearls and Crawford) have shown time and again that they haven't even bothered to read their own damn books. If there's a balance problem that shows up in my game, I'll fix it myself. Otherwise, I have been, and will continue to be ignoring everything they say.
>>
>>43738968
"None, dumbass, the monsters took them all. Unless you want to go fight the things that killed all your buddies even before they got all their magic items..."
>>
Looking for help making a new character. The character is going to be a wizard based on Sigmund Freud, who has a staff that is clearly phallic but who insists "sometimes, a staff is just a staff" anyone have any ideas on what spells/items I should use?
>>
>>43741310
Mearls replies to 99% of the posts with "I'd allow it"
Crawford is the one who makes the erratas.
>>
>>43741362
Maybe Mearls hasn't been active as much lately, but a while back he was constantly spewing out answers to rules questions that were blatantly wrong. Then Crawford joined in on answering rules questions, and they took turns being blatantly wrong, often contradicting each other.
>>
>>43741036

A barbarian has to make a skill check. A wizard has to have picked the correct spell for the situation he is in.

A flyer just flies for free and can clear most things using it.

It is a dumb thing to include, and there is a reason most DMs include it.
>>
>>43741382
Crawford can't be wrong, he makes the rules, you might think he's wrong, but irl he's just errataing what you think it was right.
>>
>>43741542
When it's posted in an official errata, then it's official. Otherwise, it's just some guy posting shit online, with no more authority than anybody else.

I'll still ignore the stupid rulings when they're in an official errata, of course. But at least I'll actually have to say "I'm changing this rule because it's stupid." rather than "I'm not changing this rule just because some guy on the internet said so."
>>
>>43741647
>Guy who makes the erratas has no authority
Kay
You know the current errata is all shit he already "posted online with no authority" right?
>>
>>43734560
Her barbarian husband.

All you snotty Adventurers get of of my lawn!
You are a hundred years too young to challenge Hrogar the White!
>>
>>43735746

Is there anything that says you can't use Divine smite and a smite spell on the same turn, for the same hit?
>>
>>43738458
He said I could have one of those. Which one do you think is the most OP? I'm leaning towards the Tome but the Rod could be better defensively
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.