[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: we design simple yet effective game systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: 1412021132001.png (2 MB, 1140x1400) Image search: [Google]
1412021132001.png
2 MB, 1140x1400
My Idea: the entire game system revolves around rolling one dice to determine the outcome of a situation. The turn goes:

Player Nominates Action (the Shout)
GM says the number they have to beat (the Call)
Player rolls the Dice (the Gamble)

So in a example game (lets say set in a lovecraft universe, however this system is versatile enough to work in ANY univese):

GM: "you are jumped out on by a Shaggoth"
Player: "I SHOUT to chop his head of"
GM: "I CALL this has a 5/6 chance of success"
Player: (rolls dice A.K.A. the GAMBLE)

[Averge dice roll is four, so lets say he rolls a four]

GM: "Well done mate, you chopped the Shaggoths head of. Now a Deep One is coming into the room"
Player: "I SHOUT to try and trick him
GM: "I CALL this has a 1/6 chance
Player: (Rolls Dice)

[rolls a four]

GM: "No he's wise to your trick. Try something else"

etc etc

So, as a base gameplay mechanic how would you rate this? If I developed my system would anyone on here be inteseted in playing games run using it? My reasoning is that it's fast, easy to pick up and gives a fast paced game, whicle being an original system. Cons are it's potentially repetitive to keep using the same three parts of a turn over and over, and relies too much on the dice.

Thoughts?
>>
This is no different than 90% of system that set a DC you're attempting to hit, except you remove modifiers and the DCs are decided by the GM arbitrarily. This isn't a bad thing, just not unique in the slightest.
>>
>>43726363
>rolling one dice

Dohoho
>>
Player and GM bet hidden d4 pools against each other. More even numbers means you win, but if you lose you have to put your d4s on the floor and step on them.
>>
>>43726393
The difference between what they're suggesting and the normal game is that everything is resolved in one roll. Well, that and what you said about the GM arbitrarily deciding on a target number.

>>43726363
If you're doing everything in one roll, I'd suggest using bigger or more dice so that there is a bit more nuance to things. A single d10 might not be bad, because most people find it easy to estimate percentages (and if you're doing a roll-under system, a target number of 8 on a d10 is 80%, a target of 5 is 50% and so on).

I designed a system that's kind of midway between what you're talking about and the normal system of things. It was based on a d6 with colored sides, but could just as easily use a numbered d6. Essentially, the GM secretly rolls a d6 for how well you do in combat, and you continue to use the roll each turn, as long as you keep succeeding. If you ever fail at an action, you reroll.

The trick is that some actions are more difficult than others, so while one action might succeed, another might fail with the same roll. Furthermore, any action that just barely succeeds (hits the target on the dot) secretly worsens the die result by 1. But as a player, you don't know this. So you can't assume that doing the same action twice in a row will meet with the same results.

This system was more designed for a 1-on-1 game and might be a bit wonky with multiple players (having to keep track of multiple dice for multiple players might be a bit obnoxious, and otherwise you might end up being undermined by somebody else pushing things a little too far), but I'm not sure.
>>
>>43726363
>rolling one dice
It's only the first sentence and you've already introduced an unresolvable paradox.
I don't think you're cut out for this.
>>
>>43726540
This has some potential.
>>
I'm assuming this is a joke OP.
>>
All your skills are rated from 0-6. 0 being unskilled, 1 amateur, 5 master, 6 superhuman.

The system is this: A higher skill always beats a lower skill. Someone with 3 Swordfighting always beats someone with 2 Swordfighting. (In the case of a tie, toss a coin.)

The trick is, if you have some advantage, your skill counts as one higher in a contest. (Advantages can be stacked)

Eg: You are about to duel someone with swords. Both of you have a skill of 4, so it's a 50-50 chance. However, you decide to poison your blade before the battle, giving yourself an advantage, making it a sure win. (Of course, that action leads to other consequences, creates drama)
>>
>>43726363
>ITT: we design simple yet effective game systems
I rewrite GURPS Lite from memory.
>>
>>43726363
Is this some kind of satire about adding unnecessary jargon to the way most RPGs already work?
>>
File: zolo.jpg (73 KB, 986x900) Image search: [Google]
zolo.jpg
73 KB, 986x900
>>43726803

>opponent and you are evenly matched
>opponent dual wields to gain advantage
>only one way out now
>>
File: Seven_Swords_Dance_Technique.png (858 KB, 1262x710) Image search: [Google]
Seven_Swords_Dance_Technique.png
858 KB, 1262x710
>>43727176
>>
File: Mifune_Winter.png (710 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Mifune_Winter.png
710 KB, 1280x720
>>43727295
>>
Retard OP, average dice roll is 3
>>
File: 015.jpg (37 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
37 KB, 768x576
>>43727295
>>
>>43727295
I don't know. How about just, you know, using your hands? Maybe?
>>
>>43726803
That sounds like a worse version of Fudge.
>>
Idea: Instead of rolling to perform actioms guess a number. Then, on the count of three, each player raises one, both, or neither of their thumbs at the same time. If the number of thumbs raised is equal to the number you chose the action is successful. Your stats let you do things like secretly or publically exclude people from voting if you think they are trying to fuck you up.
>>
Player and GM play a hand of poker against each other, wagering over the narrative result of an action. Raises are done by escalating the consequences.
>>
when you preform an action you need to pull a brick from a jenga tower
>>
>>43727753

This already exists, it's called Dread. It's fun.
>>
>>43726363
what the fuck is with the shouting and calling? is this skyrim rpg?
>>
>>43727660
Why wouldn't people just put both thumbs up all the time?
>>
>>43727374
>The average roll on 1d6 is 3
What the fuck?
>>
>>43727820

If the target number is "three" then it becomes a guessing game as to whether you put up one or two.

A simpler system with a similar base mechanic would be to guess whether the result will be even or odd.
>>
>>43727374
you get results from 1 to 6. (1+6)/2 = 3.5

average diceroll is 3.5
>>
>>43728024
So do players know the difficulty beforehand or not? Because if they do the system doesn't work, and if they don't the whole thing just becomes a GM fiat guessing game.
>>
>>43728092
>>43728023
>>43727374
No, 3.5 is the average value over the course of multiple rolls.

The average dice roll is random, there is no preference for any of the six numbers, a 1 is just as likely as a 5.
>>
>>43728140

I dunno, man, I didn't come up with the original one. And the "odds or evens" is a pretty bog standard alternative to rock-paper-scissors, each side would presumably know what is wants, one side plays for odds and the other for evens.
>>
>>43728186

I think the confusion here is that people are using different meanings for the word "average." Median and mean are 3.5, modal average is a six-way split.
>>
File: Photo.jpg (66 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Photo.jpg
66 KB, 512x512
>>43726363
> my idea
> roll one die to hit below a value decided by the GM
> this system is completely unique
>>
>>43728023
>>43728092
>>43728186
>>43728228
>>43728228

WHF? The average is three as I said in my original post. 3.5 is not the average as you can't mix statistics and probability in this way (to say nothing of the lack of real world use of 3.5 on a dice that only has integers)

To work out the average you need to take the most common role of the dice and divide by the number of the dice. e.g. 1d6/2 = 6/2 = 3
>>
>>43726657
D10 for 10%, 20%, etc is nice, but a touch more granularity would be ideal. Let's use a d20 for 5% increments.

Now, it's silly to assume all players are equally likely to accomplish a task given they have different aptitudes. Let's abstract various categories of actions out and assign each player a certain bonus per category based on stats. All you do is add or subtract that modifier to your roll and compare to the CALL target.

And to be honest, SHOUT, CALL, and GAMBLE are all sort of implied. There's no need to attach extra game terms to this. It interrupts the flow of speech and needlessly complicates a perfectly simple system.

...oh look it's fucking d&d.
Good job op.
>>
>>43728322
There is no average on a single die roll.
>>
>>43728322

I'm sorry but OP is correct - the average is 4.

To work out the average you a dd up all the numbers 1+2+3+4+5+6 = 21 and divide by the number of sides 21/6 = 3.5

Then as there is no 3.5 number on the dice you need to round to closest, so round UP to 4. You can check this by rolling a dice 100+ times (If you can be bothered) you will see the 4's occur more often than the outlier numbers such as 6 and 1
>>
File: 1272476173830.jpg (42 KB, 569x386) Image search: [Google]
1272476173830.jpg
42 KB, 569x386
>>43728412

>being this retarded

you realise a baby with a dice could prove you wrong in one second
>>
>>43728322
A single roll doesn't have an average number. All of the possible numbers are equally likely.

Meanwhile, if you want to know what the average value over the course of many rolls is, that happens to be 3.5. This would be useful for figuring out the DPS of a weapon that does 1d6 damage every second for example.
>>
>>43728474
Okay, so the baby rolls the die and it falls on 5. What did we prove?

Oh, we proved that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>43728474
Hmm.

I will rephrase my, in retrospect, silly statement.

You cannot in advance calculate the average on a single die roll.
>>
>>43728504
No, he is right. Obviously the average of a single die roll of 5 is, in fact, as it were, 5.
>>
>>43726363
How is this any different from a d20 system? All you did was change the size of the die and add faggy words
>>
File: time wizards.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
time wizards.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43726540
surprisingly this concept has already been explored
>>
Pocket D&D!
Everything is decided on the flip of a coin or two. There are no races or stats, only classes. Make up a class, give it a skill (like parrying on heads or fireballs that explode sometimes) and play that! HP starts at 5, but increases as you level up. You can also upgrade your skill when you level up. You level up every time you complete an adventure.
If you can't remember it without some kind of aid, it's pointless. This is meant to be played with nothing but a coin.
>>
Die roll/randomization is done by matching cards from a deck, full casual games style.
Make a deck of 3-4 colors, use extra MTG cards or whatever, players need to end up with three or more of one color to clear. Difficulty determines hand size and number of partials.
>>
GM draws a card from a standard 52-card deck.
Player succeeds tasks by correctly guessing the card's suit and value.
Correctly guessing suit only is a minor success.
Correctly guessing value only is a major success.
Correctly guessing both suit and value is a critical success.
Character skills aid the player; for each rank in your relevant skill, the player gets to draw one card from the deck and look at it. The player can use the cards they draw to figure out what card the GM is holding by process of elimination.
Cards drawn in this way don't get shuffled into the deck until the end of the scene, so there's a sort of pacing mechanic where players are more likely to score successes as the scene progresses as long as they can keep track of what cards have already been drawn and figure out the probabilities.
>>
>>43726363
What you do is dress up like the GMs favorite anime girl. Like cosplay. Then you let the GM fuck you in the ass. You "win" when he cums in your ass.
>>
>>43726363
Stat+Skill+Advantages= Dicepool (D6)
Overcoming obstacles (jumping a pit, picking a lock, breaking down a door, finding water) are rolled against a static difficulty number that determine how many doubles you need to get.

Active struggles like combat or binding a demon are rolled dice pool vs dice pool and highest doubles win, with most doubles as tiebreaker.
Dice can be saved and rolled to negate opposing dice rolls, so if you have a large dice pool (high skill, situational advantage etc) you can play safe and only roll what you think you'll need and save the rest to lower the chance of a lucky shot from a less skilled opponent, but things are still never certain.

This is basically how my group has done skills since 1997.
>>
Everything about probability in this thread was carefully constructed to drive me to drink, wasn't it?
>>
>>43728322
>To work out the average you need to take the most common role of the dice and divide by the number of the dice. e.g. 1d6/2 = 6/2 = 3
No. That's not how it works. 3 is the average of a 7-sided die that ranges from 0 to 6. To get the average of a die, add up all the faces and divide by the number of faces there are.

So that's (1+2+3+4+5+6) / 6 = 3.5
>>
>>43726363
>literally recreating GUMSHOE

The game you want is GUMSHOE, anon. It includes "bidding" before gambling, however.

NEXT LEVEL GAME DESIGN MOVE!
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.