[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I play rpg's, when someone hits my characer or stabs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
When I play rpg's, when someone hits my characer or stabs them, I like to react appropriately. But for gmes like D&D and Dark Heresy, you can be stabbed or hurt without the pain affecting your actions much at all. Is there a game where the pain of being hurt affects your character much?
>>
>>43716636
Yes, most games with a wounds system instead of an HP system.
>>
>>43716636
Real life.
>>
>>43716727
Yeah, getting stabbed tends to really take it out of me.
>>
>>43716636
in Traveller damage is done yo your abilities.

So you take 2D6 Constitution damage for a sword hit. Once you run out of constitution the damage flows over into your strength and dexterity.

You can heal over time (weeks) but in the combat you're wounded in, you start to not be able to do basic things like be able to carry your inventory.

One good hit and you'll be lying on the ground under the weight of your own equipment, unable to get up and exhausted.

But then, Traveller is set in the future so terminator armor is a thing and getting hit rarely happens if you're careful and well armored. (and not up against enemies with fucking fusion rifles or worse)
>>
>>43716636
Song of swords
also i would contend that you do react in DH, you just have to be in critical damage
>>
>>43716636
Gurps, shock can penalize you on actions from anywhere from 5 to 20 percent, and just the plain trauma and tissue damage of being hurt in general or on a limb impairs your abilities, with enough damage penalizing your dex, which effects all such actions, and you also suffer a severe movement penalty.

Under a gritty rule regime you can also incur chronic pain from old injuries.

Damage beyond a certain point will also threaten you with a roll every turn to avoid passing out, although you won't necessarily be in mortal danger unless it's something that causes you to bleed, although passing certain thresholds of negative hp (whether or not it bleeds) force a roll based on your healthiness (HT) to avoid just plain dying.

Some "affliction" type attacks also specifically operate based on such a roll, often with a penalty, to determine whether you are disabled for a certain period. Like a taser, some irritant agents, and sundry magical and sci-fi weapons.

But just the plain shock stuff or having to take a roll because someone punched you in the jaw or kicked your groin, those can be bad for any character, never mind an average one, which will be fairly gimpy in combat anyways. Layering on shock makes it virtually impossible for them to even hit anything, and they have more problems with gritty rules because you know, they arent' soldiers or fighters, necessarily. They often panic, or will not fully commit to an attack out of some level of pacifism, and also suffer from a severe lack of technique, although at default skill levels, you aren't hitting much WITHOUT really telegraphing your attacks and eschewing defense.
>>
>>43716636
What do you do if your players don't react appropriately to getting stabbed?
>>
>>43716636
DH has pain affect your actions-everything before critical damage is just superficial cuts, bruises, and light burns that can be ignored with the help of adrenaline
>>
>>43716636
HERO has the dazed function, if you take too much stun in one go, you'll lose an action, and if you target certain parts you can disable them.
>>
>>43716636
Anima: Beyond Fantasy. Get hit and you're put 'on the defensive', meaning you can't act for the rest of the round. Unless you have some method of negating this (ki powers, certain combat options, being a fuckoff huge monster with damage resistance), of course.

Also if you lose half your current HP at once you might suffer a critical hit, which is not going to be good for you.
>>
>>43718328
Stab them.
>>
>>43716636
Savage Worlds. Even being shaken limits your actions. Being wounded puts a cumulative universal penalty on rolls.
>>
File: shadowrun_45_stabby_stabby.jpg (60 KB, 635x800) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun_45_stabby_stabby.jpg
60 KB, 635x800
>>43716636
>Is there a game where the pain of being hurt affects your character much?
Shadowrun. Taking damage gives stacking wound penalties that apply to pretty much everything your character does.
>>
>>43716636
>Dark Heresy
>pain doesn't affect your actions

It very much does. Have you actually played DH?
>>
>>43716636
Savage Worlds uses wound penalties instead of HP, with grittier and pulpier versions for different levels of wounds affecting your abilities. Great system IMO.
>>
>>43716636
In an abstracted HP system a "hit" isn't always a truly telling blow. One way I like to think of it as an otherwise hyper gritty-realistic system in which any truly telling blow, while not necessarily fatal, at-least wounds you enough to take you out of the fight, in which you have a pool of plot-points that you spend to narratively/dramatically turn telling blows into lucky dodges, grazing shots, and bear misses to non-vital areas. These POINTS prevent HITS, and as such are called hit-points.

If you want gradiated, less-abstracted combat damage, look to wound-systems, like >>43716698 said.
>>
>>43716636
Shadowrun you get penalties based on how damaged you are.
>>
>>43716636
>When I play rpg's, when someone hits my characer or stabs them, I like to react appropriately. But for gmes like D&D and Dark Heresy, you can be stabbed or hurt without the pain affecting your actions much at all. Is there a game where the pain of being hurt affects your character much?
Legends of the Wulin.
>>
>>43716727
Surprisingly not accurate sometimes.

People have been known to function while missing arms, having their face blown off, or being shot repeatedly. Sometimes shooting someone just makes them angrier.
>>
>>43716636
Silhouette system. -1 to all rolls per Flesh Wound, -2 per Deep Wound and Instant Kill wound level is self-explanatory.

Shit can death spiral pretty hard though because a -1 in Silhouette is a big deal.

I also like Technoir's hurt dice. You roll them along with your regular dice and they cancel them out if they come up the same. I ported it across to Silhouette, helps reduce the spiral. Though it can result in hilarious death when people fumble because their hurt dice cancelled their 6 resulting in them being shot square in the chest.
>>
>>43716636
>>43720433
>Is there a game where the pain of being hurt affects your character much?
>IRL Sometimes shooting someone just makes them angrier.

That's still an effect, even if it can be seen as positive in some ways.
>>
>>43720451
>Instant Kill wound level is self-explanatory.
Nu-uh, the book doesn't list any penalties for being dead! I should get to keep playing!
>>
>>43719264
Fuck off, shill.
>>
>>43716636
I'm gonna stab your dick and then we see how you react
>>
>>43720433
Fucking people man. Some of them have survived falling out of a plane without a parachute unharmed and some of them have died from tripping over and knocking their head off the pavement.
>>
>>43720514
This isn't /v/, we don't use those words round here friendo
>>
>>43720514
But he's absolutely right. Wounds cause a penalty to actions making you less likely to succeed in their success in dark heresy.
>>
>>43720488
Thanks, you reminded me that somewhere there is probably a player that would try this.
>>
World of Darkness has wound penalties, too.
>>
>>43716636
GURPS. Or just by doing HP right.
>>
>>43716636
>But for gmes like D&D and Dark Heresy, you can be stabbed or hurt without the pain affecting your actions much at all.
You do realize that HP in D&D is an abstraction, right? Losing HP isn't necessarily the same thing as being injured.
>>
>>43720514
what
how the fuck do you get shill from that.
>>
>>43716636
Literally hundreds. Stop playing d20.
>>
Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>43716636
>Dark Heresy

Average players have 9-11 wounds and 4 Armor.

Most guns have 1d10+2 damage.

If they're living past three rounds of combat, you suck, or your GM sucks.

Git gud, faggot.
>>
>>43726456
I played dark heresy for a few sessions

I found it to be pretty confusing. It didn't help at all that the rule book was all dark and dingy. Impossible to find what you want in it.

however my biggest problem was more with the universe than the system. Nothing made sense. Everything was "if you look at or touch the wrong thing, you die. And no I'm not telling you which things are the wrong things. (Spoiler: it's everything, and there's no logical reason other than fuck you)"
>>
>>43727524
Welcome to Warhammer, nigga.
>>
>>43716636
Shadowrun, you take a -1 to everything except damage resistance for every 3 damage you take.
>>
>>43716636
Werewolf has you take increasing penalties at each health level.

Of course, being a werewolf, you regenerate from everything that isn't either silver or supernatural, so if you get too shot up you can just hide behind cover for a few rounds, CoD-style.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.