[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Touhou Games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: 53606759_p0.png (36 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
53606759_p0.png
36 KB, 640x320
Hey guys, would Touhou work better as a Role Playing game, or more of a Skirmish/Board Game? Kind of like X Wing or something so you have to do shit like dodge or barrel roll out of the fire zones.
>>
There is at least one 2hu rpg out there, called something danmaku something I believe. And by that I mean actually fan-translated, not just in moonrunes.
>>
File: a touhou rpg.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
a touhou rpg.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43716696
It's too big, here's a different one while I put it on mediafire.
>>
>>43716696
https://www.mediafire.com/?bab1q6k1ifmaaw9

This is the one you were talking about, it still uses a board, IIRC.
>>
File: 1335887928788.jpg (191 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1335887928788.jpg
191 KB, 600x849
>>43716696
I heard some of them werent all that great
>>
>>43716428

Danmaku doesn't really translate well to a trpg format, and it's strongly based in being about beauty and skill - things that aren't easy to get across.

But Gensokyo in general? Yeah, that works just fine. It has a lot going for it as a setting, and if it was done pre-Spellcard then that removes the problematic part.
>>
>>43720475
Or just do like those fan-anime versions do and basically ignore Danmaku altogether.
>which does mean they have to have Reimu sit out most of the fights but whatever
>>
arent there touhou card game too?

seems thematic to the game anyways (spell cards n shit)
>>
I've been wanting to try out an rpg set in Gensokyo for a while now. Even discounting the games themselves, it's a great setting.

What sort of system would be best for it, if I were to ignore the danmaku aspect, or just use them like spells/maneuvers? I'm thinking something like GURPS' 3d6 system, although probably not GURPS exactly.
>>
There are two already made. The "Danmaku Yuugi" game is translated from Japanese and while it has a really neat style I have no idea how the fuck you're supposed to play it. Then there's Touhou RPG: Tale of Phantasmal Land made by a Canadian guy and it makes a lot more sense than the other it's really a meh game. Just a weird blend of more traditional mechanics for a tabletop game and the Touhou game mechanics (bombs, lies, graze, etc).

A skirmish game could be interesting and likely work better, but if you want to do an RPG just know it's been tried before and the results weren't so great. If you want a Touhou game the best bet is still to just use Mutants and Masterminds and change the word "powers" to "spellcards."
>>
File: touhou.full.60947.jpg (5 MB, 6958x950) Image search: [Google]
touhou.full.60947.jpg
5 MB, 6958x950
>>43722546
>What sort of system would be best for it, if I were to ignore the danmaku aspect

something incredibly lethal and non forgiving I bet

heck maybe try to finagle with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay if you're using base humans. Well I suppose you can crank up the PCs a bit to not die against faeries
>>
>>43722546
>>43722570
>incredibly lethal and non forgiving
But the whole point of danmaku fights is that they don't want a lethal conflict. The "fights" are basically magical dick measuring contests.
>>
File: 52956354_p0.jpg (7 MB, 5000x3321) Image search: [Google]
52956354_p0.jpg
7 MB, 5000x3321
>>43722853
did you read the original poster

he wants to IGNORE the danmaku aspect

so thus very lethal fights
>>
>>43723221
Then that's not very Touhou.
>>
>>43723221
well what would you expect from a GURPS shitter right
>>
>>43723221
In that case, what about a system that kept the magical dick-measuring contest aspect without needing to keep track of danmaku patterns and such?

Ideally, I would like to keep the general feel of Touhou. I would just rather not have to keep track of projectiles on a game board.
>>
>>43722546
Golden Sky Stories.
>>
>>43723230
>not very touhou

whats wrong with playing Pre Reimu Touhou?

Vampire Slayer Sakuya is a go!
>>
An option is to use the fighting games as a reference to making spellcards and fighting abilties. Any point buy system is nice enough to try this.

I could recommend my work, but no one here understands PT-BR.
>>
>>43723869
Having just looked it up, the setting itself is great. With some tweaking of the system itself to make it able to handle combat, I could probably pretty easily make it work for my group.

Thanks, guys.
>>
File: 52400557_p0.png (1 MB, 2000x690) Image search: [Google]
52400557_p0.png
1 MB, 2000x690
>>43724350
>but no one here understands PT-BR.

what?
>>
>>43725002
This, I suppose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Portuguese
>>
>>43724573
GSS is not very Touhou at all.
>>
>>43725070
I assume OP intends to take doujins (non-h, anyway) as the standard of touhou happenings, instead of the games.
>>
>>43723393

>Ideally, I would like to keep the general feel of Touhou.

Adventures in Touhou are not especially complex. In a sense, they follow a fairly typical "superheros protecting the city, encountering villains, defeating said villains, and sparing them so that they may be added to the rogues' gallery" format.

1. Gensokyo is normal, for a given value of "normal."
2. Bizarre and mysterious events are befalling the local youkai and humans.
3. Our brave heroes set off to investigate.
4. Our heroes encounter a number of unusual and eccentric antagonists with equally quirky superpowers (many of which are minions of some mastermind), engage in snarky banter with those antagonists, trounce them, and then spare them so that they may be added to Gensokyo's rogues' gallery.
5. Our heroes finally encounter the profoundly eccentric mastermind, and then defeat said mastermind.
6. They may or may not have tea with said mastermind and mastermind's minions after all is said and done.
7. Return to #1.

You would effectively be running any old superhero campaign, albeit with more fairy-tale magic and whimsy to the surroundings and the storylines, more mythological inspiration, and antagonists who are ofttimes simply misunderstood and willing to be civilized after they are shown up in battle.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.