[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not have a LCG thread? what are you playing? which are you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5
File: LCG_boxes.png (414 KB, 600x294) Image search: [Google]
LCG_boxes.png
414 KB, 600x294
Why not have a LCG thread? what are you playing? which are you planning to get? anything you want to see in a LCG format? Ashes and Doomtown are welcome too.
>>
Currently playing and greatly enjoying Game of Thrones 2.0. My local group has picked it up as our L5R replacement until the LCG launches.

On that note, we were playing Doomtown pretty frequently, but due to how AEG handled the sale of L5R, we don't know if we want to continue.
>>
>tfw want to be part of Netrunner
>tfw have starter sets plus a few packs
>tfw no one to play with
>tfw its kind of too late now as the community seems competitive and there's 9 million cards now
>>
>>43718402
Shit man, I'm right there with you
>>
>>43718402
It's not THAT bad and there are still casual events around (depending on where you live). There's also OCTGN which is full of scrubs and try hards but it gets around the 9-million card thing.

Beyond that, the game is quite good about being "there isn't one best deck but there is a best deck FOR YOU". Even if you can't build the flavor of the month deck, if you make a deck that's well built and fits your play style, you can still do quite well competitively.
>>
Did Murder at the Prancing Pony last friday.

Was a lot more interesting than the Gencon one was, and while still a fucker, at least it feels beatable. We won our second run, but it was skin of the teeth.

Have a song deck that I'm actually enjoying the shit out of for four player games, though I need to muck with it some more.
>>
>>43716742
>but due to how AEG handled the sale of L5R
what do you mean with that?
>>
Apart of AEG and PHG anything about other companies tying to do their own incursion to the format?

now as a silly wish, I would like to see one day if something in the universe of Deadlands Noir
>>
>>43720712
The sale announcement came out of nowhere (and actually happened in the middle of a preview cycle for the next card set).

At Gencon, rumors of a sale taking place were floating around, but the owner of AEG was all "no guys, that's not true, that's completely unfounded, we're not selling the game." Yet, the sale was announced just a couple weeks later. He keeps saying that the sale "happened quickly" after Gencon, but there's no way a sale of that size happened that fast. He also claims that FFG came to him about the sale after Gencon was done, and that he hadn't been in the market to sell, but what company just randomly goes "hey, can we buy your biggest brand off you?" Out of nowhere?

So everything was going along business as usual, then one day you get "oh hey, we sold this whole game off. All of your cards are now useless."

This makes it really hard for me to want to give then company any money, when they have no issues lying to you and just canceling a game with no forewarning.
>>
>>43715360

Played Conquest recently, have Zogwort's Curse and The Threat Beyond. Having a ball with IG. How come they get such godlike supports in the core set alone?

>inb4 mandrakes with hypex injectors
>>
>>43721567
Oh that's the case. I see your point and now I'm filled with doubt I mean I'm making a deal with someone nearby to buy him 2 cores of doomtown by a low price but now you say such a thing now I fear something would happen to the IP and be left/sold or anything.
basically I wonder if still a good time to try to join to Doomtown before gets too late (like it happens with Netrunner and his card pool)
>>
>>43721584
Clarify me one thing, but is true that in conquest the "general" thing is to throw everything you have in one planet for secure it? if that is the case why should one try to divide his forces in the planets if the more effective thing is to hoard everything in one place and watch the massacre held after?
>>
>>43721597
The game itself is a lot of fun, I have no intention of stopping playing with what I have for it right now, and I have a good amount of friends on llaytest for the team, so I'd like to support their work, but the company behind it sucks.
>>
File: holdmeback.jpg (44 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
holdmeback.jpg
44 KB, 640x640
>>43721597
I can confirm this as an ex l5r player. The announcement came just days after people placed their orders for the newest expansion. Essentially, they released their new l5r product, waited for everyone to send the monies, then announced "LOL WE SOLD IT". On top of all, there is one last expansion coming out from AEG. None of us will buy it. By now, the 40+ people who play L5R at my FLG play Big Deck, meaning we make decks with 100 dynasty and 100 fate cards, from all eras of all cards except a list of 15 banned or so. Limitation: 1 card/each. Shit is crazy entertaining. Sometimes we just raise the number of provinces to 6 to make it faster.

That said, I am looking forward to the L5R from FFG. Maybe it will be better. AEG handled many things poorly (whole display box of boosters with of cards rare, other displays with 0 rare. AEG blamed the printing company, yeah sure.)

But I am not touching ANYTHING from that company ever again. It can come with complementary pack of cocaine and gold, not even then.
>>
>>43721634

Depends on whether or not you have initiative. It's usually a bad idea to blow your load on a single planet if you don't have initiative.

Once you've achieved critical mass in your HQ for any reason, though, you've practically won the game. Preparation is key if you're not a race that is balls-to-the wall powerful in a confrontation (core set Craftworld Eldar).
>>
>>43721674
>That said, I am looking forward to the L5R from FFG. Maybe it will be better. AEG handled many things poorly (whole display box of boosters without rare cards, other displays with 0 rare. AEG blamed the printing company, yeah sure.)

I fixed that. Not sure how I managed to type in such broken English.
>>
>>43721680

>Addendum: Preparation is key.

Part of the game's strategic aspect is resource management. You need to find ways to seize resources from the non-first planets to gain an advantage.
>>
>>43721674

how was the situation for L5R before the nasty surprise? and also how is the situation of Doomtown for AEG? I mean at this point the only thing I have to support myself is that Doomtown is doing good enough for at least maintain his ass safe for a few years more before AEG decides to go full retard again and sell the IP.

>>43721686
>I fixed that. Not sure how I managed to type in such broken English.
don't worry I also make mistakes.
>>
>>43721722
>how was the situation for L5R before the nasty surprise?

I wouldn't say it was doing particularly well. I, for one, was not buying boosters besides the basic deck after Celestial Edition and their fuckups with the aforementioned distribution issues. We purchased 3 whole displays with friends once. We had 10 shit rares in god knows how many packs. Can you imagine that? I basically quit at that time, but people were gifting me common/uncommon cards, and I bought my rares once in a while from ebay. 90% of the time I just proxy'd them. Besides, we had some toxic folks in the community. Not openly toxic, they were kind and funny to have around, however, they were fucking petty and jewish when it came to lending cards for european tourneys and kotei. They had the cards but did not attend the event, however, did not lend said cards to the player who was asking for it.

Why? Because they were of opposing clans. Imagine. That.

Back to the topic: I would say AEG handles their IP below average. One thing is to run a business. Another one is to keep fucking it up on a yearly basis, losing customers in the long run.
>>
>>43721722
L5R had been losing players left and right for a couple of years. AEG decided to drop the power level of the game way down, and changed a lot of core mechanics to make the game "more accessible" which really just lead to players getting pissed and leaving. At the end, it was mostly just a die hard core of players left in the game (as far as I could see).
>>
Fun annecdote from Gencon:

>Doomtown tournament
>guy from rules team is playing a guy from story team
>story team guy plays some card to win the game, says it works one way
>rules team guy argues it works another way
>judge rules in favor of story team guy, as that's the way the rules work
>rules team guy gets super butthurt and tells story team guy "I'm on rules team, I'm going to change the way that works"
>>
>>43721634
You'll usually end up having a few guys on other planets to gain resources. Some cards are actually made for the sole purpose of hanging solo on planets just to grab money/cards (Rogue Trader, Void Pirate).
>>
>>43722053
That's disgusting.
>>
>>43722564
From what I've heard, that particular rules team guy is a huge asshat.
>>
bump cause want more than netrunner to exist on this board.
>>
What's all Conquest bros playing?

I'm running Shadowsun and Straken currently. Both have been my favorite Warlords since it came out, but just resleeved my Straken.

Shadowsun is really in strong, I don't see why she isn't more dominant. Archon does fuck you up sometimes, but it fucks everyone but Eldar.
>>
>>43726790
Well how it looks it might take us a few weeks more before we can even consider to play along with netrunna
>>
>>43727646
Listen I play both Thrones and Netrunner. Both of them my girlfriend beats me at hardcore.
>>
>>43727895
I can't help except to laugh a little. tell to your girlfriend that she have good taste
>>
>>43727966
I will do.
>>
Just got Conquest and I was wondering:
Are the 30-card starter decks balanced against each other?
What pairs of factions are the strongest with a single core set?
>>
>>43727895
>>43728007
Do you already have the 2nd edition? what can you tell for someone who looks to get into the game but doesn't have any experience with the 1st edition?
>>
Hearing all the stuff about AEG's management is worrying. I absolutely love DTR but man I can't help but have the potential of AEG fucking it up hard be in the back of my head.
>>
>>43728280
As standard for FFG, you'll want to put pick up three of the core sets to have a full playset of each card.

All of the factions are pretty balanced right now. Night's Watch and Tyrell seem to be on the lower end of the power curve as "Main" houses, although Tyrell is excellent as an ally.
>>
>>43728932
3 CORES!? Sure these fellas of FFG knows how to play dirt.
>>
>>43728824
That's something I've asking. how is the situation of Doomtown? it at least can ensure the game keep going for who knows how much more?
>>
>>43729485
Yeah, it sucks. 2 is functional, but the third copy is kind of necessary for full optimization.

I'm not looking forward to dropping the money when L5R relaunches, as I'll probably be buying at least 6 for myself and the missus.
>>
>>43727299
Keeping a Packmaster Kith deck for my GF, thinking about putting together a support focused Coteaz list to fight her.
>>
>>43729963
Tell me about it. That is not even counting how many clans there maybe in the core.
>>
Bump with qt kung-fu warrior
>>
>>43733390
I haven't played in the past month or so, but is 108 Landslide still broken as shit?

I went to an OP tournament right after the pine box was released, and I played Abram's Crusaders Blessed. All of my matches were against 108 Landslide and there was absolutely nothing I could do them. Kidnappin' can only do so much work.
>>
>>43733532
if that is the case then I would feel really pleased to use Chen more regularly and the rest of the 108, now something I know is that the inclusion of the "jetpack" in the latest pine box hard-counters the kung-fu skills and by extension most of the 108 faction
>>
>>43733616
The decks I saw didn't even include the Kung Fu techniques. From what I saw the deck was:
>Start 6 dudes, may or may not include Hamshanks
>Play deeds
>Never move anyone out of home
>Buy cheapass 108 and Drifter dudes with influence and little/no upkeep
>Win
>>
>>43728226

Most of the factions in the core set are pretty solid, though if you're just starting out, some of them might have a playstyle you might have to adapt to (Chaos). Tau are pretty fucking powerful within the core set alone, while IG gets unholy shit like Staging Ground.

I haven't tried making allied decks for all of the core races, but SM-IG is pretty good. SM have some solid units you can put on the field with Staging Ground. Straken with Orks is also nice.
>>
>>43733753
Shet I wish I could lend you a hand here but I'm not that experimented with doomtown yet.
>>
>>43733855
Any idea on how to make a Nid deck that is balanced with the starter decks? I have Great Devourer as well, but I fear it will just stomp any core deck due to the fact I can actually have 3 of a unit if it's good.
>>
>>43733390
what's doing a cutie like her in a town like Gomorra? (I know I shouldn't but I feel urged to print a playmat with her.)
>>
>>43733864
The best ways around it that I could see are to play landslide yourself, spam your own bodies to take over their deeds, or play Law Dogs and go with all of the call out at home cards (Judge Harry XP, Kidnappin', Good Ol' Fashioned Hangin', Bounty Hunter, etc.).
>>
>>43715360
Alright, my group has already decided that we love Netrunner and GoT2. LotR is fun sometimes, too.

But how are Star Wars and 40k Conquest? I never hear them talked about, and they looked kind of boring, but looks can be deceiving, I suppose.

How is Ashes, too? Summoner Wars was neat, and Ashes looks far and away better than SW based on looks alone. And is it me, or does someone at Plaid Hat really, really like phoenixes?
>>
>>43734025
From what I know Star Wars is the weakest of the whole LCG family and the only reason why FFG still prints new packs is because of the IP.

WH40K Conquest it said that is pretty solid, and as you can see in this thread is more "tactical" than it appears. if you like the 40K universe then is more than clear that you should get it.

Ashes is kinda another Magic "cousin", what it does different is the resource management, deck management and building. if you're more interested Watch it Played have a series of videos explaining how Ashes is played, I would recommend to watch them.
>>
>>43734025

Conquest is pretty good; for a strictly 2-player card game of grimdark warfare, there's a lot of planning to do on the fly.
>>
>>43729880
The scene in my city is pretty small (I'm Australian), but so far the game has been really healthy in terms of expansion quality. That being said I'm actually pretty new to the LCG game so my word isn't the best here.
>>
>>43734025
>>43734025
Conquest is fun, but it's probably my least favorite of the LCGs I play (Netrunner, Conquest, GoT2.0, and Doomtown). I enjoy it for casual play, don't think I could play it competitively.
>>
>>43734025
Ashes is like a weird baby of Magic and Hearthstone, with dice. I didn't mind it but it felt a bit too plain for me to consider as a preferable investment.
>>
>>43729963

>Two is functional

It is only really necessary to get two or more sets if you are playing a seriously competitive or tournament style setting. Just putting that out there.

If you and a few bros are playing every so often on set is fine.

>LCG games being discussed
>Nobody gives a shit about the one LCG I actually play

Being a Call of Cthulhu fan is appropriately maddening.
>>
>>43721674
Too be fair Evil Portents was released "free" to distro/strongholds. I was however ticked that I bought a bunch of singles for my kotei the day of the announcement. They realistically could have said something at Gencon instead of a feelgood retrospective.
Honestly them announcing 7th Sea was just the final icing on the cake.
>>
>>43733390
Fuck, I want that as a playmat. (also what set she in? Kinda want a copy of the card now)
>>
forgotten realms could make a good LCG.
>>
>>43736197
Look for Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force pine box
>>
>>43734554
Don't blame the players, blame FFG that is giving to CoC its final hours.
>>
Looking to grab one of these LGC. Which would do you like the best/recommend? Trying to decide but want to hear what others think. Only card game I've played recently was with the Gwent decks I got from Witcher 3.
>>
>>43736550

I can't blame FFG for ending the game. It isn't profitable compared to the other games. Why give it time and resources when it isn't making them money and other titles are and those game designers can be pulled from a less successful product to a more successful one to make it more robust? It just makes sense from a business prospective. It was more than generous of them to finish off the big box expansions for each expansion and will reprint them and the asylum packs.
>>
File: L5R.jpg (97 KB, 590x390) Image search: [Google]
L5R.jpg
97 KB, 590x390
I hope the L5R game is multiplayer focused.
>>
>>43738391
it depends of what you like.
you like Political intrigue and betrayal at every corner? A Game of thrones 2.0
you like dystopian cyberpunk future ruled by massive corporations? Netrunner
The wild west setting filled with magic, ghosts, abominations and who knows what else? Doomtown
Grim dark future in an never ending war? Warhammer 40K
Tolkien Fantasy + a cooperative component? Lord of The Rings
A twist to the MTG formula? Ashes

you chose, you have plenty of options to pick.
>>
>>43738471

If you hate life? Call of Cthulhu.
>>
>>43739809
Come on anon.
is sad that shit is true.
>>
>>43738471
Thanks for the reply. Bought me some Doomtown.
>>
>>43742306
My standard recommendation to new players for Doomtown is: make sure you learn and understand the movement rules (including who can join shootouts/jobs), and remember that getting into a large shootout is usually not the smartest play you can make.
>>
>>43743432
Since you mention it, Willingdone have a video explaining how movement works in game as also deckbuilding and jobs.
very useful information.

https://youtu.be/5A7jLzKlFk4
>>
>>43743432
>>43743771
Thanks guys. I'm really hyped for this now. I had watched a demo game of it and the whole poker thing with how it generally moves just looked like a blast. Other than the core set anything recommended to get along with it?
>>
>>43744146
mmm 2 core sets? well the pine boxes seems to be the main thing in the game. why you would ask? because these boxes usually include new mechanics and sometimes new factions or outfits for the factions what already exists.
things like the 108 bandits, the native americans, the miracles and blessed dudes, the union and the confederate dudes and so on and so forth are in the pine boxes
>>
>>43744234
I've never played a LCG so didn't know if should roll with the core set from the start or if getting some of the other packs was worth it from the start. So I'll just roll with the core set and buy a box every month till I have them all.
>>
>>43744290
Start with the coreset, and check out DoomtownDB. You can see all the cards, play around with deck lists, and see if there are any packs that you want to give priority to buying
>>
>>43744290
Election Day Slaughter includes the eponymous card and Jake Smiley, a very popular and useful dude. If you're going to grab a single Saddlebag, I recommend it
>>
mmm. I wonder what does Netrunner have that they can allow themselves a separated general. is the card pool? the fanbase?

in the meanwhile have some WH40K Conquest
>>
>>43744290
The first thing you're gonna want is a 2nd core desu. Doomtown's core gives you 2 copies of all the base cards, but you can fit up to 4 of a card in a deck. It's a good bit of extra deck building freedom to be able to fill out a poker value with a single card, especially with actions that don't discourage it.

After that, if you go to the Gomorra Gazette, there's an article that tells you what saddlebags and pine boxes are the best based on which faction you want to play the most. That should tell you which direction to go when filling out your collection.
>>
>>43739839

I know, man. I know.

I love the game, I love the challenge system, I love being able to make a functioning deck that can revolve around those mechanics (Hastur's psycho detectives is fun as hell and I put it up there with my Sexy lady deck) but holy shit it is retarded how hard it is to get someone into the game because it requires a few plays to get the hang of it and even then god damn the analysis paralysis for what to assign as resources is kind of legendary.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.