[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, would you say Judge Holden from Blood Meridian is Chaotic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: JudgeHolden.jpg (196 KB, 810x1101) Image search: [Google]
JudgeHolden.jpg
196 KB, 810x1101
Hey /tg/, would you say Judge Holden from Blood Meridian is Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil?
>>
>>43713731
very, very lawful evil
least chaotic of the party
>>
>>43713918
Yeah, but his behavior, like when he throws a bunch of puppies in a river and starts shooting them, or when he rapes and murders that little kid, seems pretty chaotic evil, bordering on stupid evil, actually.
>>
>>43713967
He has a very clear worldview and adheres to it closely. It's all in his sketchbook and notes.

Considering the traditional example of Hitler, the core of the Lawful Evil character isn't respect for laws and customs but self-consistency.
>>
I read the book a long time ago, but I might even suggest NE. I think Judge Holden was intended more as an avatar of unchecked cruelty for its own sake on the frontiers of civilization than an individual person per se. That's why sometimes he seems very lawful and sometimes does random crap for seemingly no reason; they're all just different forms of evil taking place in frontier society. My 2 cents anyway.

If you're looking for an unambiguous LE in Cormac McCarthy Anton Chigurh is clearly your man.
>>
>>43716360
Anton Chigurh is pure Chaotic Neutral
>>
>>43713731

My impression was that Judge Holden was meant to be past morality as we can understand it.
>>
>>43713967
He paid for the dogs, and the little kid was a member of a group of people he had a contract with the government to exterminate
>>
>>43716634

He starts LE devoted to his weird ideas of chance and fste, is tempted and gives in to greed and violence by the end of the movie where he's punished for his transgressions. You could make a case that he starts that movie as a LE paladin who falls when he chooses to kill the woman who rejects his coin flip.
>>
>>43716797
>You could make a case that he starts that movie as a LE paladin who falls when he chooses to kill the woman who rejects his coin flip.

But the whole reason he killed her is he promised the protagonist he would. He gave his word.
>>
File: suttree.jpg (352 KB, 1075x1600) Image search: [Google]
suttree.jpg
352 KB, 1075x1600
>>43713731
Who SUTTREE here?
>>
>>43716867

He tried to impose the coon flip on her, she told him that if he's going to kill her she won't play along and it will be his choice. Maybe it's because in this one instance he tried invoking his usual rite and then fucked it up by becoming an active participant instead of a conduit for fate?
>>
>>43717041

Coin flip. That's a real fuckup of a typo for autocorrect not to catch.
>>
>>43716893

Never read it but I'm planning to. How is it?
>>
File: 1381880232678.jpg (167 KB, 904x1000) Image search: [Google]
1381880232678.jpg
167 KB, 904x1000
>>43717247
It has no storyline but the prose is even better than Blood Meridian

>>43713918
>>43713967
>>43716158
>The man who believes that the secrets of the world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate.

The Judge views himself as a force of order in the world, even if he kills and destroys things seemingly at random
>>
>>43716360
Cosigned on the Judge.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.