[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k RPG General: Fluff Abuse Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24
File: 1447107769985[1].jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1447107769985[1].jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

What is the worst abuse of fluff that has occurred in your games?
>>
hell yeah, new thread and without shitty copypasta.

>>43709312
None, I DM 2 games and 1 I play in has a very lore-aware DM so it's all rad.

On a related note, it's been almost a week since last thread.
How was your last session, fucknuggets?

ALSO, I desire continuation of story of the Ovi the astropath. I know you're lurking here, you fucking lazy cunt, I've been waiting for over a year for you to continue.
>>
>>43709312
**Trigger Warning**
> Massive autist questions incoming

My only other experience with tabletop RPGs is Pathfinder, taught to me through the DM. (I've never read the books.) I was just there for fun doing my best to play a character and to go with the flow when the dice started rolling 1s all night.

Anyways, I have been reading the deathwatch rulebook, but holy crap; there's A LOT to digest. Is deathwatch particularly loaded, or is that the nature of any RPG? I'm willing to keep trying because the D100 system kicks ass imo. Also, how does damage work in this game? If I'm shooting a bolter and some shmuck, I roll a BS test, and assuming I get 3 hits due to degrees of success, what happens from there? Where do the hits land? and when does damage get applied? Halp ; ~ ;

tl;dr - Run me through a round of combat pls
>>
>>43709478
Not sure if any of my players lurk - but...

Session was great. Was running one of the apostasy gambit adventures where the players pretend to be relic inspectors so they can assess the cardinal for heresy. They got really into the relic inspector roles and forgot they had a job to do.

They also tried to help out with an exorcism in exchange for information. The exorcism went wrong and now Daemonhost - with the players, unarmed and unarmoured, barely having made it out of the room in time while it was busy killing the exorcist. Session ended there.

There's a Sororitas contingent on site, who'll probably execute them when they realise they aren't really relic inspectors and they've summoned a daemon.

Very excited for the next one.
>>
>>43709534
It depends. Read the boil some more. I'm the combat section there is a table that tells you where you hit based on what numbers you rolled on your bs test but reversed (80 becomes 08 which is a head hit etc). Whether you fired on semi or full auto or if your weapon had the accurate trait affects what your degrees of success do, for example you would get four hits on full auto or just two on semi auto and if your weapon is accurate and you fired on single shot you would add another d10 of damage to your damage roll.
>>
>>43709534
Bolter hits where you aim, if you make a called shot to a location. Otherwise it hits a location determined by reversing the dice (20 = 02 = head). I think it's on most character sheets.

Damage is the weapon damage (e.g. 2D10 + 5) - enemy soak (first digit toughness + armor)

Bolters have the 'tearing' rule, which means you roll and extra dice when rolling for damage and discard the lowest.

1. Roll to hit the scum. Hit the scum.
2. Scum has a chance to dodge, fails.
3. Hit location determined, roll damage.
4. Damage - armour on location - toughness bonus = wounds taken.
5. Calculate damage for each additional hit.

Then there's the rule for 'Righteous Fury', where rolling 10's on the damage dice gives you a chance to roll additional damage dice. Worth reading up though rather than me explaining here.
>>
>>43709534
why are you acting like a tumblr fagtard? I'd be happy to help, but holy fuck, just look at yourself
>>
>>43709478

The copypasta is useful, it just needed to be updated because one or two of the links didn't work.
>>
>>43710323
No, I totally agree, I just think it's too bloated. Simply dumping the links would have sufficed
>>
I've been wondering.

How often do you need to roll Fear tests in combat? I used to think that it's just once per encounter, but then I some talents and abilites in BC that let you gain Fear rating against enemies "for one round". So, does that imply that you actually need to roll Fear tests every round? Or what?
>>
>>43710548
Make a test once, if something even MORE horrifying turns up, you then test against that.

The "for one round" limit means that people you aren't currently fighting probably won't see you, and thus you won't be able to use your Fear against them.

It's like shouting Boo! at them in the middle of a sword fight.
>>
File: Hunting_Genestealers.jpg (100 KB, 960x664) Image search: [Google]
Hunting_Genestealers.jpg
100 KB, 960x664
>>43709312
So I picked up Enemies Without last week and by the Forges of Mars!!

Were they this scary in 1st?
>>
>>43710548
>>43710581
Well I think stuff like the flamers you hide up your sleeves are defiantly intended to provoke fear tests mid-combat.
>>
>>43709793
Remember Pen!

Rolled Damage - ( armor - Pen) - toughness bonus = wounds taken.

If wounds < 0, hit causes Critical damage (check the chart)
>>
>>43709478

>how was your last session fucknuggets?

Went pretty well.
My BC players just finished picking out the Officer Corps for their flagship and enrolled themselves in a Khornate Blood Play.
>>
I defeated a helldrake today by dropping a centaur on its head
>>
>>43710670
Is the full PDF out yet?
>>
>>43710670
Genestealers in 40k RPG have always been statted as horrifying beasts that can tear a Terminator open like a tin can. So like they are in Space Hulk rather than how they in the tabletop.
>>
>>43712347

By and large, the tabletop is absolute shit full stop. at representing just about anything because it's "balanced" (oh ho ho ho ho) around Space Marines being the shit-tier-grunt.
>>
Just got back from Only War, the players just realized the one session introduction rooting out pirates from a long range scanner station before they leave to go invade a tau world was a lie. It was chaos raiders coming to fuck over the entire world, better get ready for a full scale invasion.
>>
Anyone have stats for children? I tried looking through the books for generic children so I can make child sorcerers
>>
>>43718821
Size (Weedy). All Characteristics base 20, few skills, one or two Talents, 5 Wounds.
>>
>>43709478
>How was your last session, fucknuggets?
The Slaaneshi Sword-ceror cut a Bloodthirster to shreds in one turn Technically three because he cast two spells beforehand and the Dark Apostle sacrificed an entire planet to the dark gods, accidentally summoning the aforementioned Bloodthirster.
All in all, not bad.
>>
>>43710670
is it just the genestealers? i need pictures.
>>
File: some twat flipping a table.png (67 KB, 307x280) Image search: [Google]
some twat flipping a table.png
67 KB, 307x280
So I wait for days for a w40k rpg thread to pop up. Then I finally decide to make one myself, only to find out I have a ban for lecturing a newfag on the rules in another board (apparently that's off-topic). Not that I had much to post about anyway, I just like lurking in these and learning. Finally off my ban, and lo and fucking behold, a w40k rpg thread.

>pic related mrw

Side note, why are there no w40k table flip emotes? I figured there'd be a ton by now.

I do have a question for the board now though. How do you think a Pistol+Whip (or even just handgun+melee depending on the gear I get) type of approach would work in DH2e with a Frontier/Heretek/Desperado? Facepalmed when I noticed the Frontier+Heretek possibilities since I'm currently rolling a Research/Heretek/Seeker going longlas/arm mounted pistol setup right now. Found it while wondering how to do Indiana Jones. Current backup acolyte idea is a mix between Wild Wild West shenanigans and Indie in playstyle with the Frontier/Heretek/Desperado start. Thoughts?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>43719401
There's an incomplete .pdf that I can't upload right now so here's some pics of the statline.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>43719879
And two.
>>
>>43719879
>>43719893
sweet, thanks. i've got the partial pdf but i was just looking for stuff that wasn't in it.
>>
>>43719893
Hold the phone...

Do genestealers take a -20 when they use all four arms to get another attack? That can't be right can it?
>>
>>43720250
Do you want anything else?
>>
>>43720938
well, if i was only one i'd like the broodlord too, but otherwise the npc profiles that weren't covered by the incomplete pdf(so basically anything not eldar)
>>
>>43721046
I think it's actually a lictor not a broodlord.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>43721074
Shit my pic.
>>
Has anyone played Ace character from the new 2E book? How is it?
>>
>>43709312
What would be the best WH40K RPG for a party of D&D players? I have experience with Cyberpunk, Numenera, Runequest and D&D/PF as a foreverDM, but my players have only been playing D&D for 5.6 months. Which one is the most casual of the bunch?
>>
>>43721645
Only War, it's literally "Go to the place" "Kill the thing" "Go back to base" at its bare bones, everything else is just improving upon that with GM creativity or player desire to RP
>>
>>43721645
I personally recommend either Black Crusade or Rogue Trader. Both give the players tremendous freedom to act, explore and fuck themselves up. Only war, Deathwatch and Dark Heresy, while fun, they always have a feeling of (Literally) having a gun to the back of your head and forcing you to confirm to certain things or be killed.
>>
>>43721668
I'd casually disagree since black crusade kinda requires evil and backstabbing while D&D has been training them to do the opposite of that and Rogue Trader is a bit grand scale for players to actually appreciate what they're doing unless told really well exactly what their positions mean
>>
>>43721668
>>43721663
Players actually like to RP and they are pretty decent to it despite their small xp, so Rogue Trader is fun? Can anyone give me a summary of what a session feels like and what you usually have to do as "quests"?
>>
>>43721645
Dark Heresy 1e. Don't listen to dorks with the 2E fetish.
Introduce them in-game to different organisations - Arbites, Adeptus Astra Telepathica, IG, Rogue Traders, Space Marines.
Ask them what they want to do after the campaign is done.
Before you ask what's better given the choice between the first and the second edition - it doesn't matter for you because judging from your question you need your players to become familiar with the setting and 2e character creation is too flexible for beginners. In1e, classes are tied to homework (so you can't make a feudal world Arbites for example), which should "make sense" for players and make them digest the setting easier
>>
>>43721688
Rogue Trader is closest to classic adventuring, I'd say. Get all the splatbooks you can, get a feel for the Koronus Expanse, and then give them this map of the Koronus Expanse, 'cept with the planet names removed. Then just tell em, well guys, either point at a star and let's go, or try and figure out which star is which from some star maps you can dig up AND THEN jump.
>>
>>43721687

Eh? I've played lots of DnD and evil aligned parties are certainly no stranger to backstabbing and the like.
If you're talking about inter-party stuff, then backstabbing each other isn't exactly required by the system.
>>
>>43721745
What do you actually do in game?
Kill xenos?
Kill humans?
Trade?
Rogue?
>>
Sup guys. I'm writing up an intro for a rogue trader campaign. The idea is that the head of the dynasty is hosting a big party/celebration for the guy's kids, one of which will be the PC Rogue Trader, and his crew will be his attendants.

I'm planning on starting it with a firefight where the dynasty's head is assassinated, and the warrant states that in such a case, it can only go to one heir.

What I'm wondering is- how can I branch that out into a murder plot as well as typical Rogue Trader economics shenanigans, and does it sound like an interesting premise for a campaign?
>>
>>43721759
The answer to all of these is: If they pay well enough.
Being a Rogue Trader, you're pretty much outside of the traditional Imperial Power Structure, so you have plenty of leeway as to what you can do.

Your ultimate goal though is to raise your Profit Factor.
>>
>>43721645
Dark Heresy 2e. Don't listen to dorks with the 1E fetish.
Really though, 1e is god's mistake. It's a hideously bloated mess that has about eight thousand different things that don't need to be there. The later entries in the 40k RPG series are far from perfect or good, but they're a distinct step up from Dark Heresy 1e.
Ignoring the subtlety mechanic, DH2E is mostly streamlined, and the character creation is open enough that you can make the character that you actually want to make, instead of being physically forced through about 4-6 levels of filler before you get to do anything interesting - as is the case in DH1E.
Otherwise, Only War is straightforward whilst still leaving room for shenanigans and intrigue, Black Crusade can get ludicrous and is the funnest entry in the 40k RPG series in my opinion. Rogue Trader shares some of DH1E's bloat problems, but not to such a severe degree, and is the most open-ended of the systems. If your players don't know the setting lore and don't know what to do in a vacuum literally, then it might not be the best choice, but if they do it can be great fun, and generally has a lighter tone than the other games.
>>
>>43721746
There are rules in one of the tomes for getting influence points for backstabbing party objectives, that's as far as it goes as far as I remember.

any GM allowing that stuff shouldn't be GMing
>>
>>43721797
>>43721796
>>43721745
>>43721696
Thanks everyone for their feedbacks
>>
>>43721797
wow, good job with parroting
>mentions OW
oh wow, ahaha. Just go die in a fire, you're pushing this shit edition without any consideration for the question asked.
How the fuck would they know what they want of they're familiar with DnD and the likes, cockhugger?
You think everyone is as retarded as you are, don't you? Your feeble attempts at calling pile of shit "streamlined" must be a joke, you really need to start paying attention to other people's posts before spewing this nonsense.
Aptitudes can suck my dick.
>>
File: You What.gif (913 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
You What.gif
913 KB, 320x240
>>43721841
>>
>>43721799
Or, you know, has a group of players open and mature enough to handle such things in a way that doesn't tear the whole campaign apart.
>>
>>43721849
>>43721841
Just stop. Just fucking stop. Both of you. I've seen too many edition wars over the years.
>>
File: Harlock.jpg (36 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
Harlock.jpg
36 KB, 320x480
>>43721759
You make profit, of course!

Profit in the name of the Emperor!

Whether by enslaving tribal cavemen to grow you space cotton, looting xeno graves and selling their sacred objects as jewelry to the opulent nobility of the Imperium, finding priceless Archaeotech and selling it to the Techpriests for exorbitant prices, prying the heretical weapons from dead xenos' dead hands and selling them on the black market, or following star maps of dubious quality marked "HERE BE HERESY- I MEAN TREASURE PINKY PROMISE", the point is that the Rogue Trader and his trusted companions become ever richer while also bringing the God-Emperor's light to his lost children scattered across the stars beyond the Imperium (at least on paper)- preferrably without pissing off the Inquisition, the Ecclesiarchy, the Adeptus Mechanicus, the various xenos races and heretics out for their blood, their rival Rogue Traders and of course the potential buyers*

*Pissing off one or more of these may or may not be inevitable
>>
>>43721795
If you want the assassination to be hilariously overkill, open up Faith and Coin and look at the Sollex Electro-pult. It's literally a man-portable railgun. Insane range, insane damage, perfect for shooting the old man dead from a neighboring hive spire.

Alternatively, have him shot in a secluded spot with a (poisonous, of course) needler pistol, and then the whodunit may begin.
>>
>>43721885
Seems like a really cool concept
>>
File: rage.jpg (267 KB, 1022x453) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
267 KB, 1022x453
>>43721797
>Black Crusade can get ludicrous and is the funnest entry in the 40k RPG series in my opinion

I agree with this man
>>
>>43721897
Oooor, if you wanna make it really memorable, open up Creatures Anathema for DH1e and look up the entry simply titled "Vore Weapons". Unnecessarily horrific assassination by a gene-engineered instakill parasite ahoy!
>>
File: khorne.jpg (109 KB, 319x185) Image search: [Google]
khorne.jpg
109 KB, 319x185
>>43721856
What good could possibly come out of something like this, aside from muh roleplaying khorne fanatic? Why would the group continue to work with someone pulling this stunt?

At that point it could even be better to just cut your losses and kill the madman about to go on a rampage in public.
>>
>>43721934
If it works its forgivable
>>
>>43721934
Oh look, it's the same stupid example that everyone uses without bothering to look at anything else.

And you souls continue to work with them because your god/master may have demanded it, or because he is the holder of a particularly important artifact, or because his plan actually ended up working and the complicated plan would've fallen flat on its face. Not to mention it being a one time bonus. No decent GM would ever reward it more than once.
>>
>>43721934
I've played in a BC campaign where the final fight against a C'tan shard devolved into "We gon' steal the C'tan remote and get out of dodge without you fucks hahahaha"

It was among the most memorable campaign finales I had so far, and butthurt was, frankly, minimal.

I was the one grabbing the remote and running away too. Sadly, the Warp had different ideas and swallowed me whole as payment for letting my fellow conspirator get away with the thing. Then it spat out a Lord of CHange in my place that had a jolly good time trolling the Shard while the rest of the party got the fuck away.
>>
>>43721934

>what good could come from this beside roleplaying?

Are you retarded? You're playing a fucking roleplaying game. Yes, a Khornate warrior is likely to just go full ham and cut people down rather than be sneaky. This is called having consistent character.

If this actually bothers you play DH and not BC
>>
I need ideas for my Rogue Trader game: What kind of crazy stuff would the Techpriests of the Lathes cook up to try and fix a planet that's slowly going into volcanic overdrive? My players encountered such a world with humans sitting on some scraps of Archaeotech and they want to fix up the place as best as they can for the sweet profit and the eternal grateful servitude of the locals
>>
>>43712347
>>43713630
If I recall, stealers, if they get stuck in, can rip faces off, but are still generally glass cannons that can be gunned down if the GM runs them stupid.
>>
>>43721474
Not bad, it's one of the few that gives you what you need to be a decent driver off the bat, rather than kitting shit together.
>>
>>43722311
>Yes, a Khornate warrior is likely to just go full ham and cut people down rather than be sneaky. This is called having consistent character.
Having a consistent character that habitually acts counter to the party's goals gets that character shunted off via airlock.
It's like saying your D&D dickass rogue is "just being in character". The moment you need to use that as an excuse, you have already gone past the point of no return, especially in a game were alliances are in a fragile state by design.
>>
>>43724833
>Having a consistent character that habitually acts counter to the party's goals gets that character shunted off via airlock.

And that is also perfectly valid in Black Crusade

Hell, I've seen it happen to the resident That Guy. First, bomb hidden in his precious robo-bird, then after detonation, his mangled body was tossed out an airlock. The ship may or may not have been in Warp transit. It was long time coming at that point.
>>
>>43724833

Again, do you know what system you're playing? Black Crusade is designed for the characters to be dick-ass rogues. You're meant to be slimy, rule-breaking assholes who serve only themselves.
Working together to further your own plans is fine as is disregarding your allies to do your own thing. Whether the Khornate berserker is punished for his actions is for the group to decide and is not indicative of bad gaming or bad roleplaying.

If you're playing Black Crusade specifically to maintain the alliance rather than working towards your own goals, you clearly don't understand the world of chaos or the lore very well.
>>
>>43721080
>Charge range 72m
Well that's pretty fucking terrifying on a creature that no doubt has stealth bonuses out the ass.
>>
>>43724898
>If you're playing Black Crusade specifically to maintain the alliance rather than working towards your own goals, you clearly don't understand the world of chaos or the lore very well.

Or you're all playing Legion veterans who've had their backstabby fun a few thousand years ago and now just want to see lesser men and loyalists alike driven before them, and hear the lamentations of their women
>>
>>43724932

At that point you might as well just play Deathwatch if you're going to roleplay such bland followers of Chaos.
>>
>>43724963
Oh, but you can't build Daemon Engines and enslave the lowly tribals of the Screaming Vortex to mine you screaming, rainbow-colored rocks in Deathwatch, now can you?
>>
>>43724898
>>43724932
And fast track yourself to spawndom.
You aren't going to be Kharn, who is so good at killing anything he runs in to that he gets a free pass, anon, and even then, he had centuries of being one of best at what he did before that.
Fact is, you need others to help you in BC because you are not the biggest cock on the block, and if you act like you can just do whatever you want, the game gets held up by the party having to dispose of you.
I don't know many people who find constantly having to worry about the loose cannon getting the party killed fun.
>>43724963
I guess Abaddon is bland, then?
>>
>>43709478
The party successfully impersonated a Rogue Trader and his wife/entourage to gain access to the famed 'Shepherds of Commerce'. A meeting held every year on Scintilla where a huge amount of financial power is thrown around.

I've been trying to set a grimdark tone and impress on the players the sheer decadence of the ruling elite, but it kind of turned into a sitcom when the techpriest and guardsman had to hide a body in their rooms while Lady Alexia (actually the adept) was being escorted back to her quarters by a promising gentleman she'd acquired at the party (he was a bigshot in one of the highly-ranked merchant houses). The techpriest actually bluffed his way out of the situation, saying the guardsman had brought a gentleman friend back too and they were 'otherwise engaged' Was very amusing black comedy, my players are great.
>>
>>43725057
>I guess Abaddon is bland, then?

Yes, he is. He is honestly the least interesting of the major figures of chaos. Not to mention mary-sue tier.

>>43725057
>You aren't going to be Kharn
Says who? Lightning attack + Daemon weapon plus huge strength can do well over one hundred damage in a single round.
>>
>>43725174
You are not going to be a living legend that will not die because a Chaos god demands it, have lived 10k, beaten literally everything in the galaxy and destroyed 2 legions.
You will be a backstabbing cunt that everyone mistrusts on face and hates privately that dies ignobly.
>>
File: 1447384524089.jpg (431 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1447384524089.jpg
431 KB, 2880x1800
My DW group has gotten cocky of late, and, being old time TT grognards, are supremely confident in their ability to recognize any threat I could throw at in on the meta-level.

I need to step up my game, so I'm thinking of throwing them a curveball. I know from the History of the Jericho Reach that there is a renegade population of high.tech Humans in the vicinity of the Velk'Han worlds, Seriphos Secundus, who were in talks with the Tau before the Deathwatch sabotaged the meeting.

Here's what I'm going with so far: Talks were actually secretly reopened quite some time ago and are progressing swiftly - the Seriphans are caught between a rock and a hard place, what with the Imperium, the Dark Mechanicum on Samech, and Dagon's vanguard organisms. They need support and reinforcements, so they actually offer the Tau something in return for protection and vassalage: a high-tech power armor, ready for mass production. The catch is, it's designed and specified for humans, and doesn't work with Tau physiology.

Now, Velk'Han has been having some troubles with the Great Devourer recently, attacks on Zurcon most specifically, and they can't spare Fire Warriors from the Greyhell Front to combat the swarm. Their auxilliaries are vastly underequipped to deal with Tyranids though, so the suit actually comes in handy.

But now comes the curveball: ever the cunning propagandists, the Tau take the suit and purposefully model its exterior on the appearance of Mk VIII "Errant" power armor. The moment that news of Firewarriors fighting alongside "Space Marines" reach Commander Ebongrave, the Canis Salient will all but implode.

Now I just need to figure out where to go from here. Any ideas?
>>
>>43725290
>destroyed 2 legions.
?
>>
>>43725459
I'm stealing that.
Thanks!
>>
>>43725534

You're welcome. I'm actually still debating if I'm going to go with the power armor as is. Imagine the horror if 9 in 10 of these drones turn out to be a new and specialized kind of drone.
>>
>>43725459
That sounds like an MGS plotline. Embrace that aspect- all you need is a whacky codename for the doomsday weapons walking robot suit, and an increasingly batshit miniboss squad. Renegade humans and Tau working together should provide you ample opportunity for both.
>>
>>43725573
knowing deathwatch in general and several chapters in particular, they will amass a crusade of such a proportions tyranids will run away when they see how hard tau are going to get their shit stomped.
Seriously, this is both insult to the marines, the emperor and the mankind combined in one.
it's much, much worse than emperor's children keeping their name.
oh boy oh boy
>>
>>43725623

Working on it: Kais'or'es'kor'dr ("Unfailingly Skilled Power Suit"), Imperial Designation: "Kaiser Escort".

>>43725627

Mwahahaha. I think I've found my curveball.
>>
>>43725676
>Kaiser Escort

Lovin' it

Also, a miniboss squad could also be a nice curveball. Imagine! A Kroot Shaper who knows the terrain like the back of his... hand-like appendage, an expert Tau warrior and his experimental combat suit, a whole elite unit of renegade humans wearing the power armour, hell, you could even through an unsanctioned (or sanctioned but defected) psyker in the mix! The possibilities are vast and wondrous!
>>
>>43724744
I am very tempted to to lower their soak values as they are very durable but still make them kill on contact. Maybe give them more stealth and tracking things.
>>
I'm thinking whether should we set up some sort of conference to swap ideas/maps/resources for DMs?
>>
>>43725793
>Kroot Shaper

Oooooh. Nice idea. Sending the team into a Tau-Tyranid hot zone, with no support in place, sworn to utmost secrecy (and deniability)... yeah, this is METAL GEAR.

Can you say Riptide prototype, anon?
>>
>>43721759
yes
>>
>>43724513
Lava forges and massive systems that latch onto volcanoes and literally suck away excess magma for processing and refining.
>>
I'm currently basically playing sundowner, and it is absolutely wonderful
>ex chem-dog, now a mercenary and assassin
>currently dual wielding stub automatics with amputator shells and a mono machete
not having to operate with any semblance of morality is a lot of fun
>>
>>43725847
I agree. 13 soak? When a nob only has 8 soak?
>>
>>43726608
Yeah when you put it like that it makes it sound more like Broodlord values.
>>
>>43726670
I think they shortchanged a lot of things in the book, like ANYTHING Ork related (I wager people fought them often, and they got a lot of feedback complaining they were too hard to crack with basic gear) and overstated Nids because just as many people bitched they couldn't weather sustained, direct fire (they aren't supposed to do that, they are supposed to be sneaky gits).
A lot of people doing it wrong, and their fuck ups became status quo, rather than telling people they fucked up.
The Archon doesn't have iron wall or step aside. The ARCHON doesn't have the basic 2nd tier combat talents.
>>
>>43726463
Now, how much need my players dole out to have such things brought to and installed at a planet in the bloody Expanse, I wonder?
>>
>>43726810
A considerable risk.
I'd say they must risk 5-9 permanent PF, with a reward of up to three times the amount risked if they pull it off.
They are essentially starting up a seed colony, and they will need serious Admech backing if they want it to work, or lay in with some severe hereteks.
Lava has a shitton of different ores, pre separated metals, hell, even on earth, you can find pure tin, lead, precious metals IN lava if you can separate it while still molten, on top of using the lava itself for geothermic power to not only power the entire place, but to create hydroponics, desalination stations, portable battery packs and the like.
>>
>>43726774
Genestealers are awkward to run because ambush predators always feel cheap to pull on PCs but they also function best as something that leaps out an air vent and turns you into chunky salsa in one or two turns.
>>
>>43727008
One great risk is that the planet has high gravity and thick atmosphere. Unprotected humans can barely move a limb. The local humans are mostly all stuffed into the last functioning gravity- and airproofed biodome left from the Dark Age, or living in their dinghy primitive offworld colonies.
>>
>>43727021
But now they are clearly designed to run stupidly at players, tank all their return fire, then get into melee.
I consider it more cheap than ambush because 40k, genestealers, if the players are running into them, they should have at least a fucking clue.
Now, the premier stealth and ambush creature of the entire franchise can tank more hits in a stand up fight than a goddamn NOB, on top of being strong literally across the board, tougher, faster, smarter, and more dangerous in CC.
A single stealer could ideally bring down 2+ pcs before getting splattered, and that is assuming concentrated fire from a group of 4. A handful at 100 meters will not only make it into CC with ease, they *might* lose one of their number. What was FFG thinking with this book?
Another complaint! Where is the misc. gear at? Where is the odd off tools, bits and knickknacks that make life easier? Why this massive emphasis on more weapons and armor players will likely NEVER use, and none for the small things that they will use often?
>>
page 10 bump
>>
stupid cunts, post stuff
>>
>>43729997
posting a small BC story to keep the thread alive, please bare with me as this was a while ago and im recalling it all on the spot.
>be DM, be running the shatter spires adventure (or w.e its called, the one taking place on Q'sal.
>party consisting of a pirate prince, and chem dog, and chem dog mercenary, and a fleshshaper.
>party comes to the one spire with the hermit-esque sorcerer perched at the top meditating, they need to find a way up there as there are no stairs or anything.
>pirate prince spots a chariot attached to a few tzeetchian daemon mounts, wants to use it to reach the top.
>"ive got hotshot pilot guys lets do thi"
>loads on, only to realize oh god no this is a horrible idea.
>prince rolls poorly, I even gave him a few redemption rolls to try and regain control of the mounts.
>ends of falling off the chariot mid-air, about to plummet to his death.
>prince needs to think on his feet, remembers hes carrying what basically amounts to a pocket dimension he took off the corpse of a heretic prophet that was used to house a eldar-daemon hybrid.
>manages somehow through retarded rolls DM fiat to stuff himself into the box as it falls, saving himself but also trapping himself.
>party recovers the box, decides theyre gonna leave him in there to think about what he did for a while.

session had to end there because of time, but I laughed.
>>
File: HO1_Koronus.jpg (975 KB, 3000x1963) Image search: [Google]
HO1_Koronus.jpg
975 KB, 3000x1963
>>43721745
>planet names removed

HTH
>>
>>43725174
>well over one hundred damage in a single round
That's some weak-ass shit right there. 3k damage in a single round is more like it.
>>
File: Koronus Expanse.png (2 MB, 1502x1126) Image search: [Google]
Koronus Expanse.png
2 MB, 1502x1126
>>43731220

And eventually, you'll end up with something like this.
>>
>>43730933

>not feeding the box to a daemon of Khorne as an offering
>>
>>43727186
Agreed, little side items are basically non-existent.
>>
>>43709312
>Starting a similar event to the Macharian Crusade.
Which has gotten a bit out of hand.
Each factions War Council now exceeds 30+ members. Along with several billion souls committed on both sides.
>>
File: 1444670499574.jpg (44 KB, 635x457) Image search: [Google]
1444670499574.jpg
44 KB, 635x457
>>43734385
Gonna need an explanation there, anon
>>
>>43734401
I'll take a shot at a general overview.

I wrote up this group of worlds called The Reaving (Thanks Battletech!) organized under an Imperial 'splinter-faction' I called the Empire of Theed. Basically the Theedians got Gothic'd and have a warp storm swallow the system after some shenanigans. Which may be or may not have involved extreme warp shenanigans and time travel.

After the storm abates (unknown number of years later) Imperial exploratory fleets are dispatched to the system. Theedians have established an Empire over 19 Major Worlds, including 5 Forgeworlds, 3 Ports, and a number of Star Fortresses. Declare the Reaving their domain ala Huron/Badab. During their 'exile' they managed to sway a large number of late-successor chapters to their banner (about 30 odd chapters or 35+k space marines).They have allied with local Xeno using a unique sonic based weaponry system (shades of slaanesh?) and use a sub-species of the Dark Eldar Snake dudes as bodyguards much to the chagrin of some of their SM allies (lots of double/triple backstabbery going on atm).

So now the Imperials are massing an invasion fleet to retake the Reaving. Note they don't actually know the numbers of the Theedians or anything beyond they have SM allies and lots of bullshit.
So far they have gathered..6 Billion soldiers or there abouts. 50k+ Space Marines. Titan Legion/Fleets/Knight Houses, etc. Inquisitor/Admech allies, SoB, Skitarii, a dozen planetary lords and several more Imperial commanders, Astartes representatives from the various assembled chapters, auxiliary staff. Even a few Emperor Titans are in the mix. With the Arch Militant/Inq beating the drum for more.

The Theedians have lots more.
Though one guy seems to be playing both sides, I don't know his end game.

Also starring CSM Warbands in large numbers. (So far) Undisturbed necron Tomb Warriors. A Gathering ork Waagh, and Tau battlesuit armada yet to make their move..
>>
So, any tips for a DH2e Heretek trying to make existing tech in-game from spare parts? I randomly asked my GM about making an Omni-Scope due to being unable to procure/install one at this early in the game, and all he said was "That is the most Heretek thing you've said yet." Honestly, as it was via text, I'm not sure if he was proud or not. I also don't know if he has anything in mind should I attempt it. I planned to take him to the side and ask him before or after our next session, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it due to workchaos. Figured either way, in the meantime, I'd see what you anons have to say.
>>
>>43734148
>implying any member of the party was dedicated to the worst god
get rekt rage-nerd.
>>
>>43734808
sounds busy
>>
>>43734808
>19 worlds
>30 SM chapters
That's ridiculous, did they conquer Ultramar or what?
>>
>>43734908
Just try to kudge together the individual things that an omniscope does at once.
>>
>>43734908
>building a standard, if rare, piece of equipment.
>tech heresy
come off it, there are deathwatch-aligned admech cult reverse engineering xenos tech who are grudgingly tolerated. Fundamentalists are not as common as it is thought, but they make a good colourful example to show how grim the far future is.
Also, my players are on an infiltration mission in a research facility with goals of sabotaging enemy research and s&r undercover imperial asset.
They are aware security response will be an overkill if the alarm is raised, but they show remarkable laxity in covering their tracks and seem to be unconcerned with consequences, saying they can tear through the security with ease and appear to welcome the prospect of violent confrontation, oblivious to the fact TPK is the most likely outcome.
I feel kind of bad to let so much prepared material and key information vital for the entire campaign go to waste, but I'm leaning towards responding proportionally to their decisions.
The session ended on a cliffhanger, with security drones detecting the techmarine who had failed tech use test, I wonder if they try disabling them gently or go on rampage almost immediately upon arrival
>>
Hey /tg/

My RT party's enemies ar prooobably gonna lay them an ambush at Footfall the next time they come back through the Maw- they aim to kidnap a crazy old man who knows the key to finding some family treasure AND perhaps also cause the party grievous bodily harm. What kind of ambush should I spring on the players that's interesting?
>>
>>43737006
Make 'em capture the party. It's an enemy research facility, right? Well, who wouldn't want living Space Marine specimen?

This'll give the party a nice chance to try and prison break outta there
>>
File: Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg (792 KB, 873x876) Image search: [Google]
Alpharius_Pythian_Scales.jpg
792 KB, 873x876
>>43737011
Have them meet a group of old small women. Then, at an opportune moment, reveal that all the women are really Alpha Legionaires in disguise, still weraing power armour and weapons.
>>
>>43737011
Start with power cut. Everything is funnier in the dark.
Then have preysense goggled look burst in and gun down blind pcs.
Use snare weapons too.
And stun grenades.
And snipers making called shots though the windows.
>>
>>43737006
Building standard equipment outside of approved methods, using methods not approved of by the Cult Mechanicus. I mean, think of how long it must have taken them to "invent" an omniscope, and now some lone Heretek wants to make his own version out of spare parts he finds in his travels? That doesn't sound like AdMech approved procedure at all.
>>
>>43737097
There's no "approved procedure", admech is not monolithic. Aggression to innovation is a common dogma, but rebuilding existing equipment is what admech do.
It's as kosher as it gets.
If you want thrill of excitement, try researching necrontech
>>
>>43737144
Well, I do have a particular interest in Eldar tech, love the way it looks.
>>
File: 1436904087384.jpg (141 KB, 692x763) Image search: [Google]
1436904087384.jpg
141 KB, 692x763
>>43737181
that would make you gay
>>
>>43737190
Sorry, the shit looks like sci-fi elven shit, and I love muh elves.

Now if there was significant gene splicing data in-game to work with I'd totally go for supersoldier Heretek mode. Screw your technology, all of it, I'll stick to the perfection of a perfect life form! But yeah, not enough to work with that I've found so for now I'm mostly throwing darts at xenos interests and trying to see what sticks in-session.
>>
>>43734808
>19 worlds

>5 FW
>30 SM chapters

You have a very busy interpretation of the Warhammer Galaxy. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but that is on the very high end of density of shit.
>>
>>43737213
So look at RT, invest in forbidden lore (Xenos lots of them), medicae, and start splicing on parts.
What, are you new to 40k or something? I remember way back when, this thread clobbed together a way to get a single human up to 100+ in 5 stats via natural xp boosts and grafts before corruption/insanity deep sixed them.
>>
>>43709534
Everyone else seems to have it covered when it comes to walking you through combat. But I have two things to say.

1. Stop typing like a fucking retard.
2. And 40k isn't a particularly overly rules-heavy game. It is about on the level of pathfinder when it comes to density, and lime pathfinder or dnd or what have you, not everyone at the table needs to scour through the whole book to play. As long as one or two people know what they are doing they can teach it to everyone else, I find it easier to learn that way.
>>
>>43737233

You keep using this word "busy"
What the fuck are you trying to say?
>>
>>43738063
I'm not him, but do you not understand the meaning of the word or do you just not understand the context?
>>
How would I go about RPing a Lamenter in Deathwatch?
>>
>>43738135
>try to care about civilians
>take crippling casualties in every encounter
> get depression
>>
>>43738063
not him, but thats a fuckload of marines in such a small space. Theres a thousand, total, marine chapters in 40 999, and theres varying amounts of planets in the imperium but the minimum is in the millions. Very few are Forge Worlds, even fewer are Marine chapter homeworlds. While it can happen, thats one of the densest, or most 'busy' areas of space in the galaxies, as far as important resources goes.
>>
>>43738244
>>43738063
Also, thats multiple space marine chapters based on the same worlds, which basically i have never heard of outside of maybe ultramar. 19 worlds and 30 chapters, with five worlds being Forge Worlds, is kinda crazy. Like, every other world producing either food or mining resources in order to keep five forge worlds running. While it's possible, and it might make an interesting campaign, its still stretching the plausibility of 40k's ridiculous numbers.
>>
>>43738223
I got the 3rd covered already. I was asking more about personality quirks and how I'd go about interacting with other members of the kill-team.
Lamenters are distrusted, but also seeking validation from other marines, right? Are deathwatch members aware of the members present in kill-teams separate from their own? If not, how would a marine behave if he suspected he was the last of his chapter?
>>
>>43738273

You're assuming that

1. These are super massive forge worlds on par with the biggest, most resource hungry that you can find in the Imperium. Forge worlds come in various sizes.
2. That these are full Space Marine chapters. Not all chapters reach near the 1000 marine limit. It's possible that none of them even crack 100 battle brothers.
>>
>>43734808
>During their 'exile' they managed to sway a large number of late-successor chapters to their banner (about 30 odd chapters or 35+k space marines)
pls no
That's completely and utterly unbelievable
Huron, a chapter master himself, was able to sway 4 other chapters into joining his rebellion (which spanned several sectors), and it was considered one of the worst in recent history. 30 chapters going rogue would amount to a minor apocalypse.
Also, it is stated that there is less than one space marine per imperial world, so how come this minor fringe "Empire" has probably 1500-2000 per world?
>>
>>43738063
keep? Like, saying it once, as well as another guy saying it? oh I am so sorry, let me put it another way: You have far more of the iconic shit per square light year than the actual fluff does.

more clear?
>>
>>43719007
So about as tough as some rank 1 acolytes.
>>
File: 1437564360486.jpg (41 KB, 417x514) Image search: [Google]
1437564360486.jpg
41 KB, 417x514
>>43738452
>>
>>43712242
This interests me greatly
>>
>>43738316
They are not neurotic. They are marines and give zero fucks about peer validation. See the Corinth crusade incident where they rebuffed Ultramarines.
Deathwatch takes place long before Badab War and as such both Astral Claws and Lamenters are considered untainted.
Don't get overly dramatic, there's a score of Lamenters survivors in the Jericho Reach at the time of the Achillus Crusade.
They are thought to bring bad luck and then again you need to realise there's a lot of chapters around as well and some might not be fully aware of lamenters reputation and vice versa (do you know a lot about the Red Wolves for example?).
It's also largely up to the DM to introduce element of "misfortune", although it can be difficult to pull off in a graceful way
>>
>>43738322
he is assuming that

1. they are the same kind of forge worlds that are being called forge worlds in the fluff, rather than just a world with production capabilities, in which case calling them forge worlds would have been weird.
2. That there are a.)35k+ SMs there, and b.) that there are 35 of a total of give or take 1000 chapters in a space of 19 planets.
>>
>>43738464
Ah, my knowledge of the timeline was off, that simplifies things.
Cheers.
>>
>>43738322
>Forge worlds come in various sizes.
But unless it is owned and run by the mechanicum, it is not a forge world, and if it is run by the mechanicum, then its a resource-hungry monster of an industrial planet since they rarely do things in half-measures
>full Space Marine chapters
35 chapters assumes they have the capability to field 1000 battle brothers. If they had a tenth of that, then thats still an insanely dense space marine/world ratio, not to mention the amount of wargear probably carried by them. This is ignoring the factor of how many chapters are on these planets. If it was a splinter empire of 200~ planets, then 4000 space marines might be an appropriate amount. Having that many chapters is really, really thick on the ground as far as my knowledge of the fluff. Therefore, the place is 'busy', which is what the caustic dickhead i was replying to was querying
>>
>>43721934
LEEEROOOY JEEEENKIINS!!!
>>
>>43709312
Are there rules for being a Sister of Battle in Dark Heresy 2ed? I know the game focuses more on general classes like warrior or assassin rather than specific ones, but is there anything for the Sororitas? I ask because a player of mine wants to be one, but the best I could tell her was to be a warrior with the Ministrorum as her background.
>>
File: a6981aef05[1].jpg (437 KB, 1247x869) Image search: [Google]
a6981aef05[1].jpg
437 KB, 1247x869
>>43739359
Enemies Within. There's a background for the Adepta Sororitas as a whole, and an Elite Advance for Sisters of Battle.
>>
>>43739471
Thanks. Anyone have the full rules? Preferably not in torrent format and just as a picture?
>>
>>43739359
>>43739509
https://mega.nz/#!2YEVQYhB!lvbTG_62NmPHQx8dtWhOm2ZZfok55xCl4VS_W5IfnA8
>>
>>43739359
Enemies within bro. It has a whole background and elite advance for exactly what you're asking for.
>>
Could anyone with Enemies Without post at least the PC options?
>>
>>43739735
Just torrent it, jesus...
>inb4 how does me downlode from intertent???
>>
>>43739785
As far as I can tell, there isn't a torrent yet.
>>
File: oQLkCm8.jpg (94 KB, 482x641) Image search: [Google]
oQLkCm8.jpg
94 KB, 482x641
>>43709312

Goddamnit OP, didn't post the links. Blah, blah, chosen one, blah, blah, cast it into darkness. Here's the fucking Copypasta.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z7zgas8lm1cw2#mk26o8f7w9uxm (Not working, anyone have a good link?)

Enemies Without:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.
>>
>>43740178
Thisncopypasra is lame and bloated, just reekt yourwelfmamte
>>
Page 8 bump wtf why aren't you posting
>>
>>43741706
Because the DH2e game I was running died from players vanishing.
>>
So what's the preferred edition of DH that's run? Looking to start a game with DH but not sure which edition to go with.
>>
>>43742210
2e
Everyone who says different should be euthanized
>>
File: daemonettes fucked up stats.png (303 KB, 421x464) Image search: [Google]
daemonettes fucked up stats.png
303 KB, 421x464
anyone got daemonette stats for black crusade that aren't fucked up from typos?

I think they switched the numbers on fellowship and intelligence around

because I seriously doubt a daemonette has lower intelligence than a juggernaut of khorne and a fellowship of 8
>>
>>43742210
contentious meme topic desu senpai, honestly they both do the same thing in different ways. Do you like classes, or do you prefer no classes? thats the main difference.
>>
>>43742210
1e, the anon who suggested 2e must be lobotomised.
>>
>>43742696
Oh shut up with your 2e hateboner already
>>
>>43742372
>WS 37

See now this is why I like FFG but don't trust them.
>>
Im trying to start a game that can use all the books intertwined, but obviously we got a bunch of differences in rules, especially the combat. Which book has the best combat/rules to use? My group is really combat oriented so thats the bigger issue.
>>
>>43737695
Yes, extremely new to 40k. As in, first exposure to it ever happened less than a dozen weeks ago (aside from cursory knowledge of what it was and all the memes of course). RT = Rogue Trader? Are the different games compatible with eachother? Because I'm playing DH2e
>>
>>43742210
2e gameplay
1e setting
>>
>>43742372
I copied the stats from the Dark Heresy and Deathwatch daemonette and just saw that I misread the question, but perhaps they are of some help as the systems have some similarities?
>>
>>43743985

Depends. Human or Space Marine characters?
If human Only War was built for combat. If SM, Deathwatch captures the hilarious overpowered feel of the SMs. Black Crusade is a more balanced form of them if you're doing a mixed party.
>>
>>43744750
One possible reason BC Daemonettes may be so nerfed in the mental department is to make cramming them into Daemon weapons easier for PCs.
>>
>>43743985
>best combat rules
Only War.
>>43744150
Alright.
First, lurk moar. Read the different 40k/30k general and get a feel for the setting. If there is anything that you can be told, it is this: The Imperium is the star of the setting, with all others revolving around them, so don't complain when the setting is based on it's trials.
As for compatibility? Gear, perhaps, rules, talents and such, no. You will need GM dispension for anything from any other book. As it stands, most of the other game lines operate on a higher base power level expectation than DH, so even I would have a care if someone wanted to pull from BC or RT. That is, however, covered under the Elite Advances rules, so expect to pay a HEFTY xp cost even if you get the greenlight, up to maybe 3x the highest cost.
As I had mentioned before, I generally mine the other game lines for gear, because DH2e has fuck all for the situation gear bonuses that make you able to pass tests early in the game.
>>
>>43742696
You really ought to get over yourself. DH2 isn't perfect but it's asinine to pretend that a legion of splatbooks made DH1 perfect. The legion of splatbooks addressed a multitude of problems and created a load more, as is the way of these things. DH2 has two splatbooks that are just eh, they offer a few things people wanted (more roles, new unique homeworlds) and a bit more fluff on a sector that's divisive to say the least.
>>
>>43745089
I get it, you like bland castrated editions, dear eunuch.why wont you go and play dns instead of shitposting by the way?
>>
>>43746401
>>43745089
Go and fuck already.
Have little crippled DH3e babies and spare us your drivel.
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.