[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system would you use to run a game set in 90s cartoons and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: angrybeavers.jpg (218 KB, 1395x1250) Image search: [Google]
angrybeavers.jpg
218 KB, 1395x1250
What system would you use to run a game set in 90s cartoons and why?

> First person to say GURPS gets set on fire.
>>
Toon or Cartoon Action Heroes? The first is for wackiness, and the second is for cheesy yet harmless heroics. But I'd have to look at the systems a bit more to see if they'd fit well enough for 90s cartoon sitcoms (like Angry Beavers above)
>>
>>43707698
Toon sitcom style. Supers have plenty of choices, but I've yet to find anything I could run non-supers in.
>>
>>43707698
>>43707748
And now I realize those aren't genres, but actual rpg titles. I'll have to check out Toon.
>>
>>43707607
GURPS
But seriously of all the things I'd recommend GURPS for cartoony games are not one of them, unless you want to contrast goofy cartoon shit with a bit of gritty realism, I'm familiar with TOON but there may be better systems.
>>
>>43707698
>>43707748
>>43707851
>people remember toon and it still has life
You're good people. I stopped by to say that.
>>
>>43707607
Toon or GURPS. GURPS has supplements for it.
>>
>>43707851
>I'm familiar with TOON
And yet you don't seem to understand that it's just GURPS with 2d6 instead of 3d6

>>43707961
It got a big boost in /tg/ popularity a couple years ago when the Futurama supplement was made.
>>
>>43707978
It's been litteraly years since I played toon, I wasn't even into GURPS back then.
>>
>>43707607
I don't have much to contribute except to say that I'm nostalgia-ing hard right now since OP posted my favourite show from way back when.
>>
>>43708825
Woot spooty
>>
My old group plays a lot of TV based campaigns in Primetime Adventures. Not sure if thats what you're looking for though
>>
>>43707978
You, sir, are an idiot. The two systems are almost nothing alike, other than using D6's.
>>
File: Risus - The Anything RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Risus - The Anything RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43707607
Risus, because it can handle just about anything.
Case in point: one comedy cartoon character, and one action cartoon character.
Comedy: Sheldon, Rocko's Modern Life
Cliche: Nerdish friend of Rocko
>Turtle (4)
>Hypochondriac(4)
>Mr. Lucky (2)

Action: Throttle, Biker Mice from Mars
Cliche: Badass Biker Mouse
>Biker Mouse (3)
>Cyborg (4)
>Not a Rat (3)
>>
>>43707607
For quite a while I've been using paorou's srw iwaku system for mostly anything with minor adaptations(https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Super_Robot_Taisen_Iwaku).
For a cartoon game I'd probably change the stats to whackyness, strength and smarts.
I'd go from there to fusing the robot's hp part to the actual character, and pre-make items that use the character's stats. So, when the characters are in a scene they may find a chainsaw... the strong guy would try to use it, but it wouldn't work, then the smart guy would be all like "that's not how you use it musclehead", but wouldn't be able to use it either, and then the whacky guy would try it and it would go berserk and everyone would have to run.
I'm sleepy and don't know if i'm getting the point across, but anything yiou build from a scratch would work better for a super specific game provided you put some effort into it. All encompassing systems like gurops may be ok, but they're usually either overly complicated, or not an actual system and just something that says "the gm makes shit up and ocasionally asks for rolls".
>>
>>43707607
here's how you do it:
Step one: Get Toon
Step two: take near-deadly amounts of robottussen with your gaming group and sip faygo and everclear cocktails
Step 3: play
Step 4: ??????
>>
>>43719127

I think that's how you get Ren & Stimpy, not Angry Beavers.
>>
>>43707607
FATAL, obviously.
>>
>>43707607
FAE: FATE Accelerated.

Instead of skills and whatnot (many cartoon characters lack skills almost entirely) everything is defined by Approaches. Which covers the way cartoon characters are characterized pretty well IMO.
>>
>>43707978
>every game published by SJG is GURPS

You're not too bright.

TOON is a pretty good system for what it's meant to be: fast, unrealistic slapstick comedy where making the other players laugh is way more important than "winning".
>>
>>43707607
I prefer Maid to Toon.
>>
GURPS because it's the right answer, dumbass.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.