[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG casual/kitchen table general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 23
File: tmp_2652-1440875275601398170937.jpg (170 KB, 1000x1102) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2652-1440875275601398170937.jpg
170 KB, 1000x1102
It's that time again! This is the magic casual general for newer and noncompetitive players to ask rules questions or discuss deck building.

Please don't type your deck lists out here. Used tappedout.net or a similar website. Nobody is going to read a wall of text and go look up every individual card.

Resources:
http://gatherer.wizards.com
>Official card search engine

http://magiccards.info
>Unofficial card search engine, but preferred by many

http://tcgplayer.com
>let's you find prices of cards from multiple retailers

http://tappedout.net
>requires sign up but the deck list function is GOAT.
>>
How would you make a "praise the sun".dek? My initial idea is 4x sun titan and things that synergize with him, but I wanted to know if there are other key cards with a sun theme to include
>>
>>43706111
heliod, god of the sun and elspeth, sun's champion seem like natural fits, possibly leonin sun standard. there a number of cards that reference the five suns on mirrodin, you may or may not want any of them including white sun's zenith. this quickly becomes a very different deck though, obviously.

sunbeam spellbomb and sunbond might get a little more mileage in a sun titan deck specifically.
>>
File: 420praiseit.jpg (130 KB, 410x288) Image search: [Google]
420praiseit.jpg
130 KB, 410x288
>>43706111
I've been trying to think of a similar deck myself for awhile now. I think you'd find this combo to your liking.
>>
>>43706350
He can add sunlance and celestial flare as removal. It's not the best white's got but it fits the theme
>>
>tfw keep buying singles from Time Spiral
Holy shit I can't stop, they're all just so rad

Tons of good effects for 60-card multiplayer too, which is what my group usually plays
>>
>>43706111
There are a lot of little white creatures in Theros and Mirrodin that mention suns, or you could go more controlling with Sun droplets, Sun titan, culling sun, etc.

You could also play five-color starring the Sunburst mechanic (and Fist of Suns, etc.)
>>
>>43706914
>tfw there will never be another block as fun or interesting as time spiral because " it confused new players "
>tfw I didn't have the foresight to buy more time spiral boosters in high school
>>
>>43705285
That image is BS, Chandra still has cards in hand
>>
>>43707568
>>43706914

I agree, Time Spiral was the best, I think that's why I've been mostly disappointed with sets since then.

Thankfully it came out back when I was going to a lot of events so I actually won enough boosters to have over a complete playset of all the commons and uncommons.
>>
If my creatrue has vigilance and is also tapped ¿Can it attack? Becouse, creatures with vigilance dont need to tap for attack
>>
I wanna build a green/black deck with biorhythim as my win con. Many suggestions?
>>
File: Image.ashx(7).jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx(7).jpg
35 KB, 223x310
Altered my old elemental tribal deck into a fun modern deck. Pretty sure it belongs here. The first time I swung for 11 on T3 again was so satisfying. Brought me back to the days of losing to Faeries game one so I could have fun playing with other tribal decks. Sorry for the lack of tapped out. Haven't got a chance.

// Deck: Fifth Element (60)

// Lands
1 Mutavault
1 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Cavern of Souls
2 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Mountain
4 Primal Beyond
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
4 Flamekin Harbinger
4 Mulldrifter
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Generator Servant
4 Smokebraider
4 Incandescent Soulstoke
4 Nova Chaser
2 Horde of Notions
2 Doomgape
4 Liege of the Tangle
>>
>>43707831
tapped creatures cannot be declared as attackers, period. vigilance just means you do not have to tap them when they are, it does not remove the restriction of being untapped in the first place

>>43707879
add sac outlets and stronghold justice?
>>
>>43707879

Green Mana dorks (elves typically) for quick ramp, Dosan the Falling Leaf for protection against counterspells.
>>
>>43707568
Fuck that shit, I've been playing for a little under a year and there is nothing confusing about Time Spiral. I miss some of the references to old Magic cards, sure, but it's a great set and a great block in general
>>
Could i make a decent deck around ajani steadfast, gideon ally of zendikar, and nahiri? Sort of an ally equipment deck or something?
>>
This is my latest brew, I dubbed it the Compost heap's revenge. I just dump everything I have into my graveyard as quickly as I can while ramping and drawing a few key creatures, who then becomes fuckhuge because their strength depends on the number of creatures in your graveyard. It's a pretty fun rollercoaster to ride.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/composts-revenge/
>>
>>43710178
Probably
>>
>>43711119
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/composts-revenge/
if you want a big badaboom surprise finish you could add a 1-of haunting misery. I think you might also replace nemesis of mortals with an avatar of woe; a 10/10 is big, but he's still a vanilla creature that can be chumped. avatar beats him in evasion and utility
>>
>>43711763
for some reason despite looking at the list extensively i thought it was G/B. I now realize it's monoG so ignore those suggestions I guess.
>>
>>43705285
Rude, Liliana is giving chandra the finger.
>>
>>43712203
Maybe she wants to turn rude into lewd
>>
>>43707719
>red
she can be playing with cards like wheel of fortune effects.
>>
>>43706111
[Spoiler]Second Sunrise Eggs [/spoiler]
>>
>>43713540
U fukd it up
>>
This is a casual deck I've been working on for a little while. The new people I've met at my university have a "modern cards only" house rule, which meant my old reanimator deck was no bueno, so I tried to make a casual gifts deck with a reanimator win con. I alreayd had most of these cards, the only thing I had to buy was a playset of gifts ungiven and iona.
>>
>>43716462
and of course, I forget the link.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/casual-gifts-1/
>>
>>43716462
QUT?
>>
>>43718146
qut?
>>
File: Thoughtful expression.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
Thoughtful expression.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
Is doing a Knight tribal possible? What about mono Knight tribal?
>>
File: karador.jpg (15 KB, 215x300) Image search: [Google]
karador.jpg
15 KB, 215x300
trying to build a commander deck with the new ezuri but my biggest problem is taking cards out since im a newer player and havent had time to play test cards or even the library of cards to search through

so my question is, could some people please help me figure out what to take out of this dang deck?
http://deckstats.net/deck-8352316-d68e52256025e55627497e8f75ee3e51.html
>>
>>43718425
wrong picture but the question still stands
>>
File: tumblr_nn68xeEgfh1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg (225 KB, 1004x758) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn68xeEgfh1ri1r1uo1_1280.jpg
225 KB, 1004x758
hey all! this seems to be the best place to ask.

I've been playing Magic Duels:Origins on Steam, and it was... fine. Then a bug happened, and i've been unable to fix it even after reinstalling.
basically, when i try to use the deckbuilder, game derps out. It lets me choose the deck, shows me the first 4-5 cards, almost makes me select one, but when i do every artwork goes fuzzy, the cards disappear, no new ones appear and after 5 seconds the game freezes. There seem to be no reports about this issue.
Even when i try to autofill the error comes up, quickly getting derpy once more and just... fucking up.
Should i try to contact WotC, do anything else or change game?
>>
File: 1432696055917.jpg (168 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1432696055917.jpg
168 KB, 600x900
>>43718356
Dude, white knights is easy as fuck to into. I've seen really great knight decks, as well as a equipment knights deck, and a Black knights and White knights. It's really fun
>>
>>43712031
Well I was thinking about splashing in some black, but I wanted to challenge myself by making it mono green budget.

What would be some good cards to splash in? I'll have enough ramp to dig up some swamps so I'm not too worried about my mana base.
>>
>>43718356
I have a white knight deck. It is basically a bunch of 2 mana knights like Meadowgrain, Holy Nimbus, White Orchid, Skyhunter. a couple more expensive ones like Wilt-leaf, Kinsbaile and the most important card: Knight Exemplar.

As for spells, You will want stuff like Silence, cheap exiles and Brave the Elements(Game ending card).

But this deck shows a lot more value if you are willing to use a sideboard, since you can put in a lot of cards like Silver Knight, White Knight, Fiendslayer Paladin, Mirran Crusader... that have protection from a specific color.
>>
>>43720880
>>43721588
Besides, most knights are part of the Human tribe, which opens up a few nice options as well, like putting in a playset of Champion of the Parish. 1 mana for a dude that gets bigger with every human you enter on the battlefield without any particular effort on your end.
>>
>>43722059
Champion of the Parish is not that good though. Leonin is the only air force you have, and it is a cat, and both Meadowgrain and Kinsbaile are a must and both are kithkins. I also run Wilt-Leaf that is an elf.

Without to mention that Champion won't benefit from the best buff in your deck, Knight Exemplar's +1/+1 and indestructible to all knights and also won't get double strike from Kinsbaile.
>>
>>43722164
Champion of the Parish shines best in a pure human/soldier deck, yeah.
>>
>>43711119
Made a G/U Version with some Skaabs. It's got a lot more bodies on the table to block stuff. I'm just not sure what to do with the sideboard.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-stupid-simic-graveyard/
>>
>>43722592
I would hold on some of them, since we are revisiting innistrad, it means that white human tokens will be a thing again.
>>
File: burnout.jpg (155 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
burnout.jpg
155 KB, 2304x1296
>tfw no one can keep up with my supercharged Goblin deck
>>
>>43722803
Do none of your friends own a pyroclasm?
>>
>>43718483
Get out to a store and play real Magic. Duels is a steaming heap of shit that they don't seem inclined to fix anytime soon.
>>
>>43722803
You are the reason why I still mainboard Fog.

I usually go 50/50 against gobbo decks with my green aggro deck, though. Gotta love undying.
>>
>>43722680
I'm really hoping for some cool new human lords and soldiers.
>>
>>43722997
Nope

>>43723103
Undying is neat, I just like overwhelming people with dinky little hasty guys. I have a Flayer of the Hatebound I've been meaning to abuse, but I've never figured out how. Maybe with Marchesa
>>
>>43723103
if your not bound by standard use moments peace.
>>
>>43723103
git arachnogenesis, fuk up gablins.
>>
I want to use lightning axe. Any ideas?
>>
>>43723382
>>43723205
also tangle.
>>
>>43724747
use creatures that are better in the grave then in play
golgari grave troll
gravecrawler
bloodsoaked champion
nether traitor
that new dragon that costs 2 black from the grave

if you want a reason to throw it there's always the casual allstar stuffy doll.
>>
What is the best site to see how much a card is worth?
>>
>>43725635
tcgplayer, it gives a wide range of prices from multiple sites.
>>
File: 51FGhmAFzuL.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51FGhmAFzuL.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
Is possible to do a relatively good splicer deck?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good budget UW Control deck for Modern?
>>
>>43726141
Yes, I do have a GW one.
You will want a couple small guys like Avacyn's Pilgrim to correct and acelerate mana, run 4x Master/Blade and couple of other splicers like Sensor and Vital. A couple Garruk's Packleader
I run a single Maul Splicer and a Golem Artisan because they are fun and Maul Splicer has Jason Chan tier art.

For spells, there are Cloudshift,Evolution Charm, and War report(Important! Since your deck is slow, and you might bite some heavy damage, you will usually end up with 5 or so life at turn 4~5, so when you cast it, I usually get around 12~16 life which puts me back on the clock, but my deck hasn't run out of gas yet.)

As for lands, I run a couple of both Hideaway lands(Mosswort Bridge and Windbrisk Heights) since they are easy to activate with this deck and they can turn a tie into a victory.

Also, get at least 6 copies of golem tokens, I have 8 and sometimes I use them all.

Overrall it is not a top tier deck, but fairly cheap(most expensive card are the Blade splicer and the Hideaway lands that comes for 2$ each) and very fun to play with. I do use it a lot to play again a friend of mine who runs a RG werewolf deck(no huntmaster, because budget), and we have an almost 50/50.

If you want to improve it, you can run better duals and fetches(Noble Hierarch instead of the mana dorks) to afford Blue and get wing splicer into the fun.
>>
>>43726579
is this the modern thread???
>>
>>43726709
thanks
>>
Running a RWG Ally deck with four Lantern Scouts; do you think that'd be enough source of life gain to make running one or two Serene Stewards worthwhile?
>>
Trying to build a standard deck and I need help.

I recently built my first deck to play with a lot of thopter creation cards and ensoul artifact. But I wanted to build a standard deck to play FNM at my LGS for the first time.

I do like thopter/artifact decks.
>>
>>43729679
Is this the standard thread???
>>
>>43729679

You sort of missed the boat on artifacts, the best things about it were the Darksteel Citadel/Ensoul Artifact combo and Shrapnel Blast, which are all gone. You can still do something with thopters if you force it but it's honestly not going to work great with just the Origins cards.
>>
>>43722164
Maybe you can replace Champion with Student of Warfare, she can get pretty ridiculous in Knight tribal.
>>
>>43730572
The problem is that to put Knight of Warfare in, I have to take someone out, and she can't really replace anyone there, white knight deck is really fast to hit, and usually ends the game in T5/6, so mana is very scarce, and your cards have a costing range of 1~2 and sometimes 3 (only 4 mana cards is Kinsbaile and board wipe in side), making it really hard to have an extra mana or two to level Student.

There aren't many 1cmc knights, and the better ones aren't really good, adding some extra protection like Gods Willing would be better, since protecting Knight Exemplar is vital to the deck.
>>
long time laxed magic player [how long? the last time i played was before homeland came out]
have the rules change that much since then? i know that Terror is apparently all but useless now.
>>
File: SiAr.jpg (41 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
SiAr.jpg
41 KB, 312x445
Quick, post your casualbro
>>
So I just started playing and have been practicing with some friends, but I don;t really know where to go from here. I got a blue/white starter deck, which booster packs and stuff should I buy? Is there a specific rotation I need to run in tournaments, if I ever become interested in doing that?
>>
Long winded question here but
>My opponent wants to kill my lotleth troll
>tries to act of treason my lotleth troll so he can burn it without me regenerating it
>I regenerate in response under the idea that the regenerating effect will save it anyway
>he doesn't believe regenerating lasts until EOT like that
Who right teeg?
>>
>>43733238
you are. he can burn it twice to kill it.
>>
>>43733238
Regenerating a creature basically means to put a shield on him and the next time he would be 'destroyed' or take enough dmg to be considered lethal, then the creature removes all damage from it, removes itself from combat and becomes tapped. The shield last until end of turn and can be stacked as many times as you can, but will dissipate during the end of turn clean up step, so you are right, he will have to burn it twice since you put on one shield of regenerate on him.
Side note, regenerate does not work on sacrifice effects, exile, or creatures dying due to toughness being lowered to zero.
>>
>>43705285
Should I run 2 Quicksand and 16 Islands in my mono blue delver pauper, or 18 Islands?
>>
>>43727924
I instinctively went and asked for advice here because I was a poorfag and a casual
>>
File: aura gnarlid.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
aura gnarlid.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>43732280
>>
>>43733238
Act of Treason simply switches control of the creature, since it didn't leave the battlefield, all effects on him will still be valid, it is the same as he casting act of treason on a creature you had played Giant Growth on, he will get a creature with +3/+3.
>>
>>43735377
why dont we ever get any cool commons like aura gnarlid or kiln fiend anymore? so many kitchen table decks were built around those guys
>>
why do people use 3 or 4 of the same card in a deck? If you don't do this are you at a disadvantage ?
>>
>>43737896
if you only use cards that work well together then you have more consistency game to game
>>
>>43737896

All the Versatility in the world doesn't matter if you can't get it in the right place at the right time. Full playsets are good because the chance of actually getting them over the course of a game is much higher than one-of a card.
>>
File: Solaire.png (240 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
Solaire.png
240 KB, 630x630
>>43706400
AND HE PRAISES!
>>
>>43706111
sun titan and things that synergize with him sounds like it would be an overall stronger deck than just "things with sun in the name"
>>
>>43737896
Because you need to have 60 cards in your deck. A lot of times you get in a situation that the card you want to use in your deck is the only ones that does what you want, and at the same time, he is vital for the deck to work. So you will use 4 of them to give higher chances to draw him at least one time every game.
>>
i bought selesnya event deck. what other cards can i put in for max 10-15 bucks that make it worth for kitchen-fnm? i put in 4 path to exile and a fetch i have
>>
>>43737819
gotta make sure them brand new never-even-heard-of-magic-until-five-fucking-minutes-ago players can dive right in and understand all the cards without getting confused.
>>
>>43730066
No but it is the new players/casual thread and I am a new player.

>>43730137
Damn.
>>
>>43739920
I guess you are talking abou the Dragon's Maze Strenght of Selesnya.
Some changes I would make are:

>Remove the slower stuff
Guys like Honored Monk, Increasing Devotion, Champion of Lambholt and Growing Ranks. Either cost too much or are too slow to take advantage of it.
Wake the reflections is specially a bad card, even though it is cheap, it doen't give you much advantage and it probably won't take you out of a sticky situation.

>Fix and acelerate your mana base
Godless Shrine is cool, but because of Lingering Souls flashback, you had to fit a lot of shit to fix the mana base, stick to GW, and take out all those Evolving Wilds that slow down the deck. Substitute Lingering Souls for Midnight Haunting(instant speed).
For aceleration, get Arbor Elves(especially good if you got plains/forest lands) and Avacyn's Pilgrim.

>Enchatntments: Removal and Threat
Oblivion Rings is a must, you should get some in your deck. Rancor is specially a really good card in your deck, not only it gives trample to wayfaring temple, but since it keeps bouncing back to your hand, you shouldn't be afraid of using them on your 1/1 spirits.

>Cards to consider
Trostani, her first ability can keep you alive longer, and your deck scales really well thanks to populate being able to target bigger stuff like 5/5 wurms.

Spirit Bonds, it offers you a token generation, and also a way to protect your better creture like Odric and Wayfaring Temple from being destroyed.

Gavony Township, better than Grove of the Guardian, since it costs less and gets all your creatures bigger.

Soul's Attendant, if you think that you are losing too much life, maybe this is your solution, every creature(yours or theirs) hitting the field is 1 life to you.
>>
OK dudes, help a beginner out.

Dabbled with MTG 10 years ago and forgot all about it. Now last week a friend let me take out a deck from his collection and keep it, just to get going. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/newb-minotaur-deck/

Went for a red/black Minotaur deck, not having a clue what I am doing. Anyway, MTG seems pretty fun and I'd like to build on my new deck. Allot has happened since I first tried MTG so a couple of questions from someone who is new to multicolored decks:
Is there any characteristic red/black functionality I am missing out on? What blocks should i look into for essential Minotaur and red/black cards? Haven't checked since
>>
>>43741408
minotaurs were pretty much a strictly theros block thing.
>>
File: mino newb.jpg (97 KB, 669x310) Image search: [Google]
mino newb.jpg
97 KB, 669x310
>>43741408

In addition to getting these if you can, I'd also suggest trying to get more 4 ofs on the minotaurs and replacing the non minotaurs. Get more of an aggressive tribal deck going.
>>
File: rageblood shaman.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
rageblood shaman.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>43741408
>>43741541

Oh, I missed something! I assumed this guy was in the deck. Rageblood shaman is a must if you want to go minos.

On the other hand, if you don't care about tribal, you could instead work towards making an aggressive red black deck that doesn't care about creature types.
>>
>>43741628
Great! Cheers for the tip, I'll stick with the minos until i get a hang of things / red black.
>>
File: spike jester.jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
spike jester.jpg
32 KB, 223x310
>>43741408

Return to Ravnica and Dragon's Maze sets have some cool red black stuff.

In general, I recommend dorking around here to look for cards http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>>
>>43741689
Kollaghan's Command(really expensive now), Dreadbore, Despise, and there is a pseudo minotaur too, called "Taurean Mauler".

Rain of Gore is situational, Fists of Demigod, and there is Mogis, the minotaur god.

Make sure to load on the low cost(1~3) guys and get a couple of the more expensive(4~5) ones.
>>
A friend of mine and >>43741408 donated his cards to me aswell so I could bring them home and learn some MTG. We all got to pick different types of colors and I chose green-blue counter deck by instinct and on a whim. Got positively surprised as I really like the playstyle so far (tried my deck three times) and would like to continue building on it. I've never played MTG before. I'm looking for general advice on how to play and win in different ways with counter decks as well as what cards I should keep and what I should replace.

Here's my deck: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/babys-first-deck-counter/
>>
>>43742936
I'd recommend taking a look at the "Simic Synthesis" starter deck.

Some good cards to have would be Cloudfin Raptor, Experiment One, and Shambleshark.
>>
>>43742936
You should look for the keywords "Evolve", "Graft", and "Proliferate" some notable cards are Plaxcaster Frogling, Forced Adaptation, Polymorphist's Jest(since most of the power from your creatures comes from +1/+1, your creatures will be much stronger than theirs), Vigean Hydropon(great counter source and also evolve trigger), and Vorel(he has an ability to double the counters on a permanent you control)

Combo of Vigean Grafter and Elusive Krasis gives you an unblockable attacker and a strong defender when needed.

Simic Charm works wonder in this deck, being able to buff a creature for the final blow, hexproof to all of them to protect your precious counters, or return to hand, that can be used as a reload to Vigean Hydropon counters(and possibly triggering more evolves), or take out a threat temporarily.

Give/Take is a good way to either buff or draw.
Urban Evolution is a card worth considering, since this deck eats mana, there aren't any specialized mana dorks other than Gyre Sage, but be careful, when Gyre Sage gets a good amount of counters on it, it will be top priority to your opponent to destroy it.

Get some counterspells too, like Fuel for the cause, or mana leak. Some other proliferate cards are Steady Progress and Tezzeret's Gambit. Thrummingbird is also a very good card.
>>
>>43743731
Thrummingbird can get specially good with cards like Aqueous Form, and plaxcaster Frogling to protect it from spells. If it gets a counter on it, he can multiply those too.
>>
>>43741426
>>43741541
>>43741628
>>43741709
>>43742286
Sweet, got a lot of stuff to work on now. Great info, minotaurs coming up.
>>
>>43742936
Well, what you want most is consistency. Run four of the same creature if you want to have a good chance of getting it on the table in every game.

Try to get your hands on three more Elusive Krasis, some Simic Manipulators, more Turn to Frogs, and 4x cloudfin raptor. Simic is best guild. And don't you ever forget it.
>>
>>43737896
>If you don't do this are you at a disadvantage ?
You can be. Personally, I have more fun when they doesn't play out nearly identically every time. I've been dropping full playsets in a lot of my recent decks to make things a little more interesting for me.
>>
you guys wanna see my peasant cube? my friends and I play it with planechase
>>
I hope this is the right place to ask this; I got slapped down repeatedly by a really snacky Artifact deck tonight, is there a card similar to Mass Calcify (my usual "wipe" strategy) that works on Artifacts rather than just creatures? I run mono-white and normally don't struggle to this degree
>>
>>43746241
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Adestroy+o%3Aall+o%3Aartifact+c%21w&v=card&s=cname
>>
>>43732280
this plus menace would be very fun.
>>
>>43746529
Fantastic, just the kind of things I was looking for. Thanks Anon
>>
>>43746727
Or Iroas
>>
So today someone taught me how to play MTG and gave me the event deck he bought sans 4 cards he wanted for his decks.
The deck is called Ultimate Sacrifice and I was wondering if anyone had advice for using a deck like this without group counter spells, I feel like I could get easily overwhelmed if too many enemies come onto the field
>>
>>43718425
Just looking through, you should cut Abundant Growth ,negate, nullify, naturalize, divination, refocus, singing bell strike, shape the sands, aphetto alchemist, branchsnap lorian, disruptive pitmage, coral trickster, guardian shield bearer, kin tree warden, heir of the wilds, patron of the wild.

You need your spells in EDH to do things, cheap 1 for 1s or stupid combat tricks give you nothing in a multiplayer 20 turn game.
>>
>>43747037
Stuff like grave pact and dictate of erebos work very nicely to clear the board. you can add more stuff like rot shambler (swarm of bloodflies comes to mind) to get really big threats.
>>
>>43747037
Murderous Cut
Bone Splinters
Ultimate Price.

If Languish was the card removed, maybe get those back.

Ruthless deathfang maybe?
>>
>>43747037
group counter spells? I don't understand what you mean.

this deck shouldn't have a problem with creatures because:
>you want to trade creatures, since you get advantage on them dying
>creatures you can't trade with combat can be dealt with bone splinters or murderous cut.

If you meant mass destruction, it is not really worth it in this deck because there are some creatures that you don't want to die, and at the same time you trade so many creatures that it is not really worth destroying what is left.

try getting some blood artists, they are the best when it comes down to creatures dying.
>>
>>43747237
Four rare cards were removed and honestly I can't really ask the guy to let me have them considering he did pay for the deck and let me have a deck when I couldn't afford one. I think Languish and Ruthless Deathfang must be two after I checked the deck.
>>
>>43747289
I think he meant buying copies of them by "get those back".

Also, looking at the decklist, there aren't any Languish or especially Ruthless Deathfang on it.
>>
>>43747335
Alright, I'll hunt the cards down when I get the cash, they don't seem fairly expensive
>>
>>43734095
>The shield last until end of turn and can be stacked as many times as you can
Does that mean if I activate the regenerate ability twice, the creature has to be killed three time until it stays dead?
>>
>>43747335
>>43747289
He may have taken the hangarback Walker, Tasigur, warden of the first tree and Whisperwood elemental. those are the most expensive cards in the deck.
>>
>>43747289
like, one ruthless deathfang and one languish and two unknowns, or two ruthless and two languish?
>>
>>43747375
>hangarback walker
hate that card with a passion.
literally worse than meme rhino
>>
>>43747289
nigga just look up what cards the deck is suosed to have, then count up what you do and don't have, then you know what cards are missing and we can plan around it.

But if you're gonna ask advice we need to know what we're working with here.
>>
>>43747363
by that point use a Gift of Immortality as well just for kicks.

>>43747363
but no, it just doesn't die when it should die. it never hits the graveyard. very important distinction.
>>
>>43747424
the deck comes with a little paper insert too that says what it has, just read that
>>
>>43747375
I still have Warden and Whisperwood, was Tasigur critical?
>>
>>43747450
http://www.quietspeculation.com/2015/09/battle-for-zendikar-event-deck-contents-released-ultimate-sacrifice/

See which cards are missing and tell us which.
>>
>>43747424
I'm missing Tasigur, the Walker, Evolutionary Leap, Corpseweft and the Wastes.
>>
>>43747450
I wouldn't say tasigur was critical, but yeah, he is pretty good, since he can recycle cards in your grave for a reasonable price.
Hangarback Walker is a strong card and was even played in multiple decks during standard tournaments, it is expensive though.

I guess the other two missing must be Llanowar Wastes and Evolutionary Leap then. And evolutionary is important to the deck.
>>
>>43747508
thats 5 cards.
>>
>>43747536
My bad, it looked like four. Either way that's what I'm missing
>>
>>43747521
>was even played in EVERY SINGLE DECK during standard tournaments
FTFY
>>
>>43747508
Get evolutionary and Corpseweft, evolutionary is important to keep creatures flowing into your hand, and corpseweft can make big threats with a couple of creatures in your grave.
>>
I really don't have anywhere else to brag about this, so I 'm gonna do it here.

Me and 6 friends drafted BFZ yesterday. I'm the only one with BFZ draft experience, but most of them have been playing forever.

Tl;Dr of the draft: white/blue was wide open, and I drafted the best awaken combo deck I'll probably ever see.

In a round robin i ended up winning 12 of 13 games losing once to R/G landfall that got just a stupid nut draw(leopard into gnarlid into predator)

So what does this have to do with Kitchentable magic?

Well one of my friends brought along his mono-red deck that he's been building for ~15 years and decided I'd been winning too much that night and challenged me.

I didn't bring any decks. So I jokingly suggested using my draft deck. They all thought it'd be hilarious.

So I agreed.

Now when I say he's been building for 15+ years I mean it. This thing is 90% of a legacy deck and is running like stuff like ball lightning, sulfuric vortex, bolt, rift bolt etc.

I won 6 out of 10.

I don't think I'll ever have a better night playing magic. Just everything was completely on point.
>>
>>43747581
Screencapped for future reference
>>
>>43747643
Nice. Now try to tweak it if there are any weak spots and go to a standard or modern tournament with a "set constructed" deck.
>>
>>43709064

That's just what they say, according to their research apparently new players can handle very little. I'm almost convinced they have a family of lemurs in a basement somewhere that they use to base all NWO complexity decisions on.
>>
>>43747643
List? Genuinely interested.
>>
File: Magister-Sphinx.jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Magister-Sphinx.jpg
76 KB, 312x445
>>43732280
Is this guy casual enough? I really love him.
>>
for someone with no experience playing EDH, what not-super-expensive cards would your recommend adding to the Mizzix deck?
>>
>>43745853
Yes (:
>>
>>43748132
Well they advertise their game as 13yo or older, so they must test complexity with kids about 13yo, this is why they keep complaining about memory problems and never introduce something that interacts with the stack.
>>
>>43749302
>7 mana
>5/5 flying
>may or not get a decent advantage
Yeah, it is casual enough,
>>
>>43749722
my little brother is 13 and I've tried to teach him magic. he refuses to read cards and just wants to tell me his craw wurm killed my elf because he attacked it and I tell him it doesn't fucking work that way and he says "well it should"

apparently this is how the kids at his school play. they just let the creatures attack each other directly and whoever plays the biggest fucker wins, none of them actually read the cards beyond the P/T.
>>
>>43749958
Let him play Hearthstone, then.
>>
>>43749958
he wants original flavor yu gi oh.
>>
>>43749958
>this is what Timmys actually believe
>>
>>43749958
what elf has more than 6 toughness?
>>
is thera standard thread? i cant find one.
>>
>>43750299
The one where it doesn't matter because the elf never blocked the Craw Wurm.
>>
>>43749958
have you tried showing him the Force of Will card game?
>>
>>43750299
the one where I said "i take it" when he attacked and he told me "no I want it to kill your dude" and I told him it doesn't work like that
>>
>>43750314
then he didn't attack the elf, now did he.
he attacked you directly. take your 6 life like a man and stop whining.
>>
>>43750322
hell no, he thinks some of the art on MTG cards is cool, im pretty sure force of will art would just gross him out
>>
>>43750326
so how does he think damage happens in the game?

do you just keep killing the other guys monsters til he runs out of them then you hit his face?

because it seems to me as long as you have chump blockers he cold never win that way.
>>
>>43749958
>Wizards R&D reveals the origin of the fight ability: 13 year old play testers
>>
>>43750334
are you sure he is a 13 year old male?
>>
>>43750329
That's the point entirely. The little brother doesn't want to hit his older brother in the face for 6. He wants to kill the elf but the elf didn't block it.

And I'm not that dude so you can take your whining complaints to the Modern thread.
>>
>>43750299
>>43750329
I found the kid brother
>>
File: kuso wiabu.jpg (118 KB, 530x370) Image search: [Google]
kuso wiabu.jpg
118 KB, 530x370
>>43750365
show me the 13 year old male who thinks this is cool. for an example of what he likes, he thinks the artwork on my graveborn crosis is badass.
>>
well since I cant find the standard thread please r8 h8 or d b8 this deck. I just built it for standard.
>>
>>43750431
7.5/10 could be better
>>
>>43749958
That was my problem when I started. That and the rules being hard as fuck to understand for a 13 year old. Just don't let him bend the rules.
>>
File: Queen_of_Atlantis-0.jpg (41 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
Queen_of_Atlantis-0.jpg
41 KB, 250x350
>>43750409
i mean like i would have fapped to the slutty ones at 13

but i guess theres more internet now
>>
>>43750437
how? should i add sorin?
>>
>>43750345
Ogre Slumlord will teach him to stop blocking everything.
>>
>>43750409
needs more cleavage for 13. you can't satisfy them with lolis like you can late 20 somethings.
>>
File: EDHG.png (313 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
EDHG.png
313 KB, 500x300
>>43750459
yeah, the internet is a wonderful thing.
>>
>>43750500
man that's like weird, 13 year olds have bad taste
>>
back when i played in high school, I loved mill decks with just a bit of efficient control thrown in. Specifically, i enjoyed filling up my opponent's hand to the limit and forcing discards, so any cards that gave enemy draw as a 'cost' to utilize were favorites. throw in a few counterspells and, if things worked out, they were holding everything they wanted and were totally unable to use any of it. anything out in the past few years that works well to that play style?
>>
>>43750519
eh, is a phase. you were there once too. you got better.
>>
File: talrand.png (123 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
talrand.png
123 KB, 223x311
>>43750531
talrand & 32 counterspells.dek
>>
>>43750531
that's a little sadistic. truly a black/blue player.
>>
>>43750557
Yeah I can't believe I used to be obsessed with giant tits
>>
>>43750531
black vise would be a nice addition if it wasn't already part.
>>
>>43750561
very nice. cheers, mate
>>43750566
the worst thing to me is a salty opponent. i want them to watch as every choice they can make are stripped away from them. I want to watch them give up of their own free will. no complaints about a cheap haste with fly, no crying about rare card bullshit. i want to watch them throw away everything they considered precious and embrace defeat. blue black for life.
>>
>>43750431
I forgot to add some cards like bloodlord vampire give it a new look. Do I need complete disreguard in this deck?
>>
>>43750597
yup, often leave two in the side-deck if i need to switch up from raw draw. I kind of fetishize draw-out victory though, so they don't see as much play as would probably be smart.
>>
>>43750659
orim's chant on an isochron scepter.
>>
>>43750531
let's see... temple bell. howling mine. blue sun zenith. dakra mystic. Dictate of Kruphix, Fascination. infernal offering. jace. Prosperity. Seizan, Forced Fruition. Master of the Feast. Nekusar, the Mindrazer.

eh, none of those ae like, really really new except maybe the theros ones.

honestly its not been a common mechanic recently.
>>
File: EDGE.jpg (110 KB, 562x793) Image search: [Google]
EDGE.jpg
110 KB, 562x793
>>43750607
>>
>>43751068
say what you want.
folks can't say 'i would have won if i did x' to this kind of setup.
I had a lot of that crap flying around, folks always believing they deserved more victories than they got. The fact that it bugged me enough to make a favorite set to specifically counter that mindset kind of speaks volumes as to how much it annoyed me.
>>
>>43750758
>isochron scepter
what the hell is this?
am i reading this right?
time to make a deck around this fabulous thing.
>>
>>43751522
Isochron Scepter is good, but you need a couple turns to make it worth its price
>>
>>43751522
and yes, you may pay an additional cost like kicker when you cast a spell copy with the scepter. I have a friend who has a deck that is dedicated to putting orim's chant on a scepter and locking you out of the game until he can get an infinite turn combo and mill you to death with jace's erasure
>>
Hey, I'm looking to get into Magic since a friend is starting to play again and I thought it would be as good as time as any to pick it up.

I'm guessing standard is the way newcomers play for the most part? Are there any deck types that are better suited to newer players or does any colour work? Any suggested starter decks?

Sorry for the questions, thanks!
>>
>>43753628
I suggest you start with an Event deck, any of them will be fine. More than just colors, it is more about deck strategy, in some of them you have to attack as much as you can as fast as you can, in others you have to control what is happening to make sure you can win. Each deck should have a small description of how it is supposed to be played, just get the one that you think suits you the most.
>>
what kind of house rules do you guys go by?
My friends and I don't use hand size limit
>>
>>43754671
my play group has a modern legal cards only house rule because apparently someone showed up once with a fluctuator combo deck and killed them on turn 3-4 while they were tapping out to ramp up and cast those craw wurms. also friendly mulligans.
>>
Trying to build a legacy/casual deck but I can't decide between Mono Blue or Blue Black(control of course)

Thoughts
>>
>>43754798
what do you want to be your win con?
>>
>>43754869
I'm trying to go classic control, counter and kill until i can get a big bomb out.

Something like Guile, or if Blue Black a big demon.
>>
>>43754671
None because the rules of the game are perfectly serviceable. You can be considerate of each other and make sure your not the asshole bringing the tier 1 modern deck to the casual table but houseruling shit like that is needlessly petty.
>>
>>43754741
how does your group feel about splinter twin? Or Exquisite blood Sanguine Bond?

Out of all the shit in legacy fluctuator is pretty meh.
>>
>>43755078
i know, right? I've been tempted to build that midnight-gond pauper deck and shit on them niggas just to make a point but I don't want to stir the waters in the only group at my uni
>>
>>43751475
>folks can't say 'i would have won if i did x' to this kind of setup

stax 4 lyfe

if they want to bitch at least make them bitch about something other than their "bad luck" or "shit draws"
>>
File: inkwell leviathan alter.jpg (137 KB, 328x460) Image search: [Google]
inkwell leviathan alter.jpg
137 KB, 328x460
>>43754905
rune-scarred demon is a big guy. frost titan and grave titan are also pretty good beat sticks.

inkwell leviathan is probably one of my favorite beaters to close games out but 9cmc is a lot even for control, you usually have to include some way to cheat him out in your deck.
>>
>>43755382
Did you do that alter? That's sexy as fuck.
>>
>>43755553
i did not, but I like it.
>>
>>43754671
1 free mulligan. We let each other mulligan once for free, if your hand is really fucked up, like no lands.
>>
File: 130.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
130.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>43741408
http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Aminotaur&v=card&s=cname
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.