[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallout PnP storyline
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
Hi guys, first post from me here, you just popped my cherry. (Also sorry for my poor english)

I'm currently gathering intel about the fallout universe, in order to DM a campaign with three of my bros.

ATM I must admit that i'm not really sure of what the storyline will be, but there's stuff I want to implement for sure, that is:

- I want them to be vault dwellers, not only because it's one most known fallout aspect, but also because it'll provide them with a "central location", and a rich way to enliven the questline

- I also want them to travel along the wasteland.
I thaught about bannishing them, but it's maybe too restrictive, some quest to retrieve an object may be too cliché.
So I gathered that if the were hunted down by some faction, or at the opposite, if they had to track someone, if would be more original in some way.

That's about everything I could imagine so far.

1/2
>>
>>43704617

Concretely it could go like:

> There's some kind of siege of the vault, ending in the attackers trying to blow up their way in (not through the blast door obviously), the explosion destroys a crucial asset of the vault (reactor?).
> The PC's are requested to go out of the vault, in order to investigate a nearby mine that was used during the construction of the vault
> Ghouls everywhere, mostly ferals, they take them down, and then arrive in a small corner of the mine, and find two non feral ghouls, unwilling to fight
> They are former vault dwellers, thrown out by the overseer for *Insert some reason that makes'em quite an equivocal sort of good guys"
> The PC's make their choices about taking them down, or bringing them back to the vault to confront the overseer, finally ending in both ghouls taking the overseer seat.
> Following said choice, due to the *major vault asset* nearly took down by the explosions, they have to go wander the wasteland in order to repair such pathetic and cliché part of the storyline
> However, due to the *badass and naughty vault-tec experiment ongoing* that was interrupted due to said broke crucial asset, the Enclave is breddy mad.
> They decides, since they're monitoring the vault and knows everything of the situation, to send some undercover dude disguised as a random wasteland scum, to help them fix said issue.
> Long travel ensues, I have plenty of ideas to fill it so no problem, I will also add some connections to the storyline, while i'll see clearer.
> They end in some long forbidden pre-war facility, filled with weird stuff ( I'm thinking robots, and in the lower levels some creepy stuff, not sure atm tho.)

2/3
>>
File: fallout-new-vegas-28641-wp.jpg (862 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
fallout-new-vegas-28641-wp.jpg
862 KB, 1920x1200
>>43704628

> Some way or another, the PC's find out the real identity of their helper, pbbly take him down since they're more good guys type (if they decide to ally with him... well, he can always betray them later).
> Doing so, they still bring the required part to the vault, but before they can even arrive, the vault emergency signal is received by PC's pip boys.
> Enclave was tired of the shit, decided to murder a good half of the dwellers (including some of the PC's family ofc lol), and took the other half somewhere to end the experiment (déjà-vu? I know, but we can manage to turn this to end differently).

So that's all I could come with at the time, thx for reading me anyway, anykind of fucked up, funny, or creative idea is welcomed, this is meant to be an Interplay type of fallour far more than a Bethesda one.

3/3
>>
>>43704617
You want the Storyteller.
He's long winded, and he'll ramble a bit, but he's the best Brotherhood member you're likely to run in to.

https://youtu.be/nvqm_pPD-aQ

He wears a suit of modified t-51b power armor, but don't let that fool you. Man's more of a historian than a Paladin. Ask him about anything, he'll give you a straight answer... just don't expect it to be about whatever you asked him.
>>
>>43705510

Hey thanks here dude, didn't knew this Youtube channel.

I am, in fact, quite aware of the lore and fluff of the Fallout series, I was more looking for some mindblowing questline full of plot twists and such.

But nevertheless, i'm gonna watch this, maybe it'll pop some ideas.
>>
>>43704617
OP, you seem to be under the impression that the PC's will do exactly as you plan.
What makes you believe that the PC's won't just fight in the siege and leave the vault through the front door to start with the old-fashioned murder-hobo antics?
>>
(Most) of these Vault doors were designed to withstand a nuclear blast. The only results tossing explosives would have on it is making the raider's arm tired, unless the door was defective.

What possible reason would a Dweller have to lead the abominations of the wasteland back to his or her Vault? That's home, yo.

Creating the Enclave has the storyline's first major villain is a bit extreme. They might not seem like much after taking them down in FO2, and you might get the interpretation that they're cannon fodder if you played Bethesda's FO3 rape-fest, but you probably just want to build up to them, rather than having them appear right away.
>>
>>43705820

That's one debatable point indeed, but keep in mind that since all they know is the vault, they want to preserve, and in that case save it. If not, then it'll be up to me to deal with it, but we all have a plan at start amirite? :^)

>>43705992

You may have misread me here, I stated NOT trough the front door pal.

Amongst the reasons to leave his vault, as I said, the explosion would have the effect to destroy a major feature of the vault, not only endangering the vault dwellers, but also interrupting the vault tec experiment. Hence the enclave.

But your point is really valid though, Enclave is the remnants of pre war US govt, so no pussies at all. What can of alternative do you have in mind when you speak about "building up to them"? Contractors / sidekick factions at first?
>>
File: fallout222.jpg (12 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
fallout222.jpg
12 KB, 284x177
>>43704617
If you feel old-fashioned (or simply as a back-up plan) remake the story of fallout 1; vault needs a new water chip so they won't run out of water, go around the wasteland trying to find one, either they could find it in an abandoned vault, or buy it at a hefty price from some old-war tec merchant, in the meantime, doing stuff like saving villages, killing raiders or helping the Brotherhood of steel for some sweet power armor as reward

Hell, if the game was good enough, you could also introduce the master as the BBEG
>>
>>43704617
Seems like a good start OP. Just remember to emphasize the vastness and the isolation of topside life.

Here's some key background bits:

>there were 151 known vaults made before the war. Most of which were social experiments instead of actual shelters.

>the most common experiment was just a delay on when the door opened. Instead of 10 years, opening in 50, or 75, or 200, or never.

>Many other vaults were intended to create super-soldiers, either through rampant cloning, subliminal messages, forced evolution, etc.

>once sealed, only the overseer had the authority to open a vault door, though raiders could theoretically breach it from the outside.

>Once sealed, a vault was intended to be a self sustaining system: one where every need would be taken care of.

>Messing with those needs is also an incredibly common experiment.
>>
>>43704617
Put them in Arizona, during the Legion conquest. They're sent out to somehow save the Vault before the savages get there and find a way in. They can also make contact with a Brotherhood of Steel Chapter located in an old Titan Missile Base (Arizona is full of them)
>>
File: 185px-Wild_Card.png (46 KB, 185x185) Image search: [Google]
185px-Wild_Card.png
46 KB, 185x185
>>43706896

That's also something I considered, and was advised to do, but since most of my PC's have played Fallout 1 & 2 in the past I can't only rely on it, even if that won't prevent me from picking some ideas in it.

I also thought about the vault experiment thanks to >>43706986.

Something about genetical engineering, but requesting that the vault stays sealed.
Since the reactor is damaged due to the explosion by some rebels who wanted to get out in the past, and became ghoulified due to being thrown out without any form of equipement, the PC's go out anyway, encourged by the overseer who don't want other dwellers to learn about the rebel incident.

Enclave however, does not accept the loss of any test subject and decides to help them in their quest to fix the vault at first, and then reveals itself by trying to capture them to perform some sick techno vivsection, in order to evaluate the results of their twisted experiments.

'Cause they're badasses, the PC manages to avoid capture (hopefully), and are now hunted down by Enclave, mercenaries and whatnot.

I know this sounds quite confused, because I really still am, not having such a long history of creating scenarios instead of only adaptating them.

And concerning the master, this could indeed be a good BBEG idea, but I yet have to find the way to implement him.

Anyways, thanks for the advices, keep posting!
>>
>>43707634

Good idea too, just not quite at the same moment in the timeline, not that it is an problem of any sort.

What sort of way could they have to save the vault? Allying with the brotherhood to protect it? Or just release all hell loose and *somehow* wipe the whole legion?
>>
>>43707976
Let the players wing it.

As a GM you should only reasonably be expected to write solutions for traps.
All you need to do is properly flesh out potentially important factions/NPCs and improvise
>>
>>43708076

I hear you, and it's also the way I want to play, not feeling too restrained by the questline. But I also want them to have a purpose, at least at the beginning. What they'll do with it will tell me enough about the way they'll want to play the rest of the game. They're mostly D&D players and are used to a strong quesline, so I want to provide them with such an option even if they won't follow it at the end
>>
File: new vegas spread.jpg (1 MB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
new vegas spread.jpg
1 MB, 1365x1024
>>43707976
>>43708212
>>43708076

Giving the player nukes to play with is a Fallout tradition
The original had the nuke under the cathedral
2 had the nuke in the oil rig
3 had the nuke in Megaton
New Vegas had the missiles in the Divide

With that in mind, it might be fun to have the missile base still be active, if the players can make some repairs and convince the Brotherhood to cooperate
>>
File: 1390576481805.gif (600 KB, 400x246) Image search: [Google]
1390576481805.gif
600 KB, 400x246
>>43704617
Currently in my Fallout game I'm taking cues from STALKER for the basic plot, but with some liberties of my own.

There's rumors about a Pre-war facility that can 'give you back what your lost' and the PCs are a rag tag team who want to find a way inside. This gives them a good endpoint to the campaign (getting inside the facility) but also makes it rather open ended since I have several ideas on how they can manage to get inside.

Additionally it lets the PCs be a bit more lenient in their backstories. One of the players is a former Highwayman/Raider. Another is a Mercenary who took extreme pride in his appearance, especially his face, but ended up horribly mutilated forcing him to wear a mask at all times to hide his shame. Another is a Slaver who is suffering from a neurological disease. etc. And while most of them probably wouldn't have ever even thought of working together before, since they all have a common goal they can put their differences aside.
>>
OP here. I red the fallout endings again, and the enclave project to destroy all mutants life could be a great idea to implement.

=> Vault tec experiment is aimed to genetically enhance the dwellers, turning them into super humans, immune to FEV, diseases and such.
In order to perform such experiment, the vault population has to stay confined, because radiation exposure would ruin the experiment.
=> Part of the Medical team came to be aware of this, and was subsequently thrown out of the vault by the overseer on false accusations, turning them into ghouls in the process.
=> The ghouls are buttmad, and decides to try to bomb the vault.
=> They almost succed, the blast badly damages it, releasing low but constant amounts of radiation into the rest of the vault
=> PC are tasked to go outside and find a way to fix this, while they're doing so, the enclave decides to send troops to capture the other vault dwellers, not wanting them to be exposed to radiations, which would ruin the experiment
=> PC unaware of this, finally (hopefully) manages to find what they needed to fix the reactor, and travels back to the vault only to find it abandonned.
=> A BoS patrol stumble upon them, tell them what hapenned
=> Turn out based BoS also wants to kick enclave's ass big time
=> But in order to so they have to learn the location where their fellow vault dwellers are detained
=> ???

>>43709847
Good advice too, there's already two crazy russian weapon and liquor dealers which goes by the names of Artyom and Strelok.

I know quite less about the STALKER series tho, but the wish granter is a good side idea I admit.
>>
Shameless bamp
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.