[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QUEST Reborn In An RPG Extra 003
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 29
File: NEW LIFE OP.png (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
NEW LIFE OP.png
31 KB, 500x500
Hey guys, I finally got time to continue working on the pdf, and one of the first things I wanted to try was to standarize item crafting instead of going with a touchy-feely thing where we (and by we I mean I) just lazily grab items from videogames and other sources and try to make them usable in our system.

So... yeah, Enhancements. Items, upon creation, can have natural traits and qualities, and the more or the better they are, the higher the quality of the item.

I ....basically wanted to hear your ideas and suggestions for item enhancements. They should be different from enhantments or curses or stuff that cards add to items.

For example, a Sloth card can grant "skill delay" to a weapon. If a monster is casting a spell or skill, and is hit with a weapon equipped with a Sloth card, that skill will take an extra round to finish casting. If the whole party has weapons equipped with Sloth, then the monster may be locked into trying to cast the skill forever and die without doing anything.
Sloth + Kobold instead grant Skill Cancelling, which simply cancels the skill or spell. It has obvious benefits, but the drawback is that now the monster can, you know, do something else, like attacking you.

A enchantment example would be Arcane Blaster. A weapon with Arcane Blaster adds more points of damage to a spell, based on how much mana was used to cast that spell.

For every 2 points of mana, you get 3 extra damage, and a rare version of Arcane Blaster can make that into a 1:2 ratio instead of 2:3.

Anyway, the pdf has some ideas for enhancements. Take a look and give me some feedback, please.
>>
File: Item Enhancements.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Item Enhancements.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's the PDF
<---
>>
>>43704117
>Hey guys, I finally got time to continue working on the pdf,
you have my attention
>>
So if I'm reading this right, it should go like this?
Assuming I have +100 Int and +100 Agi, and I'm a level 50 Crafter, my base chance for getting 1 minor enhancement is 250% (guaranteed 1 minor enhancement).
Getting the 2nd minor enhancement would be a 150% chance.
Getting the 3rd minor enhancement would be a 100% chance.
4th minor enhancement is 75%.
5th minor enhancement is 62%.
6th minor enhancement is 56%.
And I can keep going until I fail the check.
>>
>>43704117
Add a section that differentiates card effects from enhancements. Put something like this description in there.
>>
>>43704117
What happens if you do a greater specific enhancement? 1/4?

wait, enhancement tier determines the quality, not the other way around?
>>
File: 0003.jpg (235 KB, 1200x1707) Image search: [Google]
0003.jpg
235 KB, 1200x1707
>>43704216
Well, check the pdf i posted, It has what i've come up with for enhancements so far.

I would like constructive criticism and suggestions. Also, looking for extra ideas for more enhancements.

Not sure how, but I want to allow items to have more than one enhancement... either you can have up to 10 tiers total, which would be enough for a minor and greater enhancement, or perhaps you can simply continue the chain with another enhancement? for example, if you successfully reach 7 tiers with a minor enhancement and still have a chance greater than 0 for another tier, try to use it to get another enhancement.

>>43704240
Close
Your base chance to get a specific minor enhancement, with an AGI of 100 and an INT of 100, as a lvl 50 crafter, would be 275
100 (AGI) + 100 (INT) + 25 (1/2 cftr level for specific enhancement) + 50 (cftr level for minor enhancement) = 275%

137% to have a second tier on that enhancement
69% to have a third tier
35% to have a fourth tier
18% to have a fifth tier
9% for a sixth tier
5% for a sevent tier

And I still haven't decided on how to apply multiple enhancements.
>>
File: 0004.jpg (228 KB, 1200x1699) Image search: [Google]
0004.jpg
228 KB, 1200x1699
>>43704291
>What happens if you do a greater specific enhancement? 1/4?
Going with the previous example of 100 AGI and 100Int on a crafter level 50...
Your chance to get (the first tier of) a random greater enhancement would be 275
Your chance to get (the first tier of) a specific greater enhancement would be 250

>wait, enhancement tier determines the quality, not the other way around?
Yes, the idea for the rework is that how many enhancement tiers an item has, determines its quality, affecting weapon damage, accessory spell resistance, or armor defense value, so it would be possible to craft a legendary wooden sword or a poor quality adamantite hammer.

Im probably going to add a bonus to base chance based on material quality, though, so there would be a greater chance of a enhancement on the adamantite hammer than on the wooden sword, but I do want crafter level to be a big factor on it.

A true master should be able to sharpen a bone and make a fucking awesome weapon, and no matter how many adamantite bars and dragon hearts you give to an apprentice, he would have a hard time coming up with a truly amazing weapon, after all.
>>
>>43704300
what are the costs of enchanting and penalty of failure?

enchantment-specific rare material? money? time? ritual actions, like secret job requirements? Reducing cards into magic powder used for enchanting?

>Executioner
make it a plus crit chance when enemy is below 50% health, increasing the crit chance rather than modifying the health threshold with every tier.

>Accelerating
how about increased number of basic attacks based on movement speed?
>>
File: 0005.jpg (1 MB, 2075x3012) Image search: [Google]
0005.jpg
1 MB, 2075x3012
Right now, a Legendary Sword deals 100 base damage per attack (before adding STR bonus or weapon tricks or whatever), but if it was a Legendary Sharp Sword it would deal 300 base damage instead.

I will probably come up with a better name than just adding Sharp to it, though if you make a legendary item it would probably have its own name, like Durandal, Grum, or whatever.

>>43704364
the old pdf has enchanting already. Basically, Item quality gives you a number of enchantment slots, but you can add more enchantment slots by adding curses to an item.

Enchanting always works as long as the weapon has enough space for the enchantment in question.

So to resume, Item enhancements affect Item quality, which affects the number and type of enchantments you can add to an item.

The number of card slots in an item is also generated randomly, but this basically through a different equation. So you can have a shit-tier weapon with 6 item slots (though that is highly unlikely) or a legendary weapon with no slots (again, highly unlikely, but it is not IMPOSSIBLE)
>>
>>43704429
>Item enhancements affect Item quality, which affects the number and type of enchantments you can add to an item.
yes, this is what confuses me. Enchanting an item....lets you enchant it even MORE?

But the costs and penalties of failure should definitely be in the pdf, heck everything you mentioned except for card slots should be in there for clarification purposes.
>>
File: 0006.jpg (1 MB, 2106x3012) Image search: [Google]
0006.jpg
1 MB, 2106x3012
Ah, sorry, I didn't read your whole post. I thought it was shorter than it was.

>>43704364
>what are the costs of enchanting
it depends on the enchantment
>and penalty of failure?
You lose the materials

>enchantment-specific rare material? money? time?
Yes
>ritual actions, like secret job requirements?
So far, no, but possibly in the future.
>Reducing cards into magic powder used for enchanting?
I don't really like that mechanic... no, I don't really dislike it, but it requires a list of every card and their exact value as powder, so its not a priority for now.

>>Executioner
>make it a plus crit chance when enemy is below 50% health, increasing the crit chance rather than modifying the health threshold with every tier.
Oh, that sounds like a good idea, but would make it 40% instead of 50%

>>Accelerating
>how about increased number of basic attacks based on movement speed?
Uhmm... that could work
>>
File: elf jeans.png (958 KB, 632x1200) Image search: [Google]
elf jeans.png
958 KB, 632x1200
>>43704458
Enhancements are intrinsically part of an item. A enhancement would work even inside an anti magic field. Its part of what the item is

Enchantments are spells and don't work on certain circumstances. An ability granted by an item enchantment can still be delayer, disrupted or resisted with spell resistance.

Enhancements =/= Enchantments
>>
>>43704300
looking at the minor enchants, additive tiers can definitely work. up to 7 total tiers should have no trouble. But what happened to enchant slots here >>43704429?

>>43704493
......WAIT, I SEE IT

Enchantments are different from Enhancements.

So you can have cards, enhancements, AND enchantments.

.....only a former accountant would do this, King. Only you.
>>
File: maid portia.png (1 MB, 1280x1158) Image search: [Google]
maid portia.png
1 MB, 1280x1158
>>43704519
Expanding on that, a really, really sharp blade will still be really really sharp inside an anti magic field.
>>
File: portia inside and outside.jpg (162 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
portia inside and outside.jpg
162 KB, 600x800
>>43704521
I'm also a former graphics designer >.>
I'm not just a calculator monkey <.<
God I miss being able to draw
>>
>>43704521
>>43704519
let's start over:

what are the costs of ENHANCING and penalty of failure?

specific rare material? money? time? ritual actions, like secret job requirements?

>>43704300
I think minor enhancements should be additive, since sticking to just one generally provides better bonuses. Beyond 7 total minor tiers, I'm not sure.

Greaters should be on their own for sure, though. Maybe only one type of Greater, period. It lacks an identity if you can have multiple greaters.
>>
>>43704521
>Enchantments are different from Enhancements.
Obviously, since they're different words.

We had this same problem when Eldric was learning about Okaba's enchantments and curses.
>>
>>43704613
sorry, I'm in a rush because it's rare for King to start before midnight over here and ever RARER for it to be about the pdfs
>>
>>43704527
So since the enhancement is a property of the item itself and can't be blocked by anti-magic fields, is it a passive part that's a part of the crafting process, rather than something that the crafter actively thinks to turn on, like a Job skill?

So the crafter thinks about the kind of enhancement they want the item to have while crafting, but they have no idea if it gets what they want or not until the item is finished.
>>
>>43704566
>>43704300
What about time as a limiter? an item can have a maximum of 7 minor tiers and 3 greater tiers, beyond that it must take a Name. Excalibur, Durandal, whatever. The item then needs to make a legend for itself, participating in grand battles or events. Every time it adds another page to its legend, you can add another minor enhancement.

4th-wall breaking/goddess rulewise, the item is allocated more memory to fit the history, and there's space left over for enhancements.
>>
File: zoe 018.jpg (110 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
zoe 018.jpg
110 KB, 500x708
Anyway, suggestions for more enhancements? and remember they are meant to be innate qualities of an item. Not really spell-like abilities. Those are enchantments or cards

>>43704566
>what are the costs of ENHANCING and penalty of failure?
Enhancing per se doesnt has any special cost. It is a byproduct of an skilled craftsman work. The penalty for failure would be limiting the quality of the item.

>specific rare material? money? time? ritual actions, like secret job requirements?
Materials should give a bonus to the base chance, I think. Poor materials could give a penalty while good materials would give a bonus.
Materials cost money, so yes that would be a factor. Remember that if you dont have a material, you can "burn" x2 as much gold as the cost of the material to replace it, though. Basically adding on expensive replacements that are more readily available.

>Time
Crafting an item for the first time has to be done manually, but once you have successfully done so once, you can repeat the process instantly with the relevant craft skill.
For example, Master Tazar needs about a week to complete a new dancer outfit for Lyann, using spider skil, imperial dyes, gold thread, crystal and gems. But after he's done with it, he can make however many he wants in a moment with his craft skill, as long as he has the materials or money available.

>Ritual actions?
Craft skill required

>Secret Jobs?
Not really, but you can't use the craft skill of a botanist to make an armor or the craft skill of a smith to make a potion.

1/?
>>
>>43704664
This way you aren't bogged down by item levels/exp. Important battle over? add 1 enhancement slot to every item.

>>43704666
But if it HAS to be done all at creation, I guess just not putting a hard cap makes sense.
>>
File: zoe 024.jpg (305 KB, 1280x1955) Image search: [Google]
zoe 024.jpg
305 KB, 1280x1955
>>43704651

>I think minor enhancements should be additive, since sticking to just one generally provides better bonuses. Beyond 7 total minor tiers, I'm not sure.

That's honestly a decision I made for fluff reasons. Or rather, to have the mechanics help support the fluff.

You see, Eldric can see what enhancements/toers an item possesses, when he uses his identify ring on it, but other people can't.

Since people in general don't know what a enhancement does, they don't hace anything like a list of enhancements to pursue beyond the VERY very obvious, like sharpness.

Most smiths, when crafting weapons, try to craft sharp weapons.

Those who simply try to craft "a high quality item" are rolling randomly to see which enhancement the item will have. Since some enhancements are totally useless on the wrong type of item, they sometimes end with stuff like Grace (a glove enhancement) on boots, which, sure, gives the boots a quality boost, but the bonus of the enhancement does not work.

Since the enhancements are not really known, like, at all, people do not try to chase after them.

You can have a legendary sharp sword but people don't really know that it is so good because of the enhancement on it. They simply attribute it to the materials and the ability of the crafter, and in a very real sense, they're not wrong, since it has a high base damage and enchantment slots.

This is, honestly, the final piece that was missing from Okaba's research on enchantments to bring the whole thing together like a Unification Theory of Itemcraft.

He already knew that items had quality grades, and that quality grade affected how many ENCHANTMENTS an item could have, and that adding curses to an item, added yet more enchantment slots. This is southern-style enchantment, in fluff

2/?
>>
>>43704666
>Linked
Basically the "set" system from before. A greater enchant that does nothing by itself, every piece grants strengthens the minor enhancements by 5/10/15% per equipment piece

>Training
>Minor
Exponentially decreases offense and max hp(but not defense, to ease calculations) to linearly increase xp rate

>Amplify [Element]
>minor
Increases MP/damage efficiency for spells that use ONLY elements that your equipment amplifies.

>Initialize
>Greater
A failed attempt at making an Anti-ERROR enhancement, this weapon absorbs and dissipates magical buffs and debuffs from targets, decreasing their duration by X turns per hit.

okay, starting to get sleepy
>>
File: zoe 017.jpg (766 KB, 1000x1370) Image search: [Google]
zoe 017.jpg
766 KB, 1000x1370
>>43704778

You helped him understand card slots. which, in fluff, are Norther-style enchanting.

With Asmund's help, you three developed a way to have mana generatos pay for the mana cost of HUGE enchantments, developing Protectorate-style enchanting.

But so far none of you has taken a really really good look at "why do some items have these enhancement thingies?". Well, Asmund and Okaba simply couldnt before now, because they didn't had the identify ring that you have. Now that Okaba developed a way to duplicate its effect with glasses, it is possible that someone may notice that some items have a final layer of complexity, which are... enhancements.

And which ironically were the least hidden. Its just that crafters many times just get enhancements which do not work at all in the item they are attached to.

But I liked >>43704679 idea of maybe adding the first tier of a different enhancement after an item gets enough renown for people to start attributing it powers ot doesn't has.

"Oh, right, that famous spear! it finished that giant king off with a single blow!"

And if enough people spread it, in the next "patch update" of the world, the spear gets "Executioner" tier 1 added to it... uhmm I don't know, seems

1- way too slow
2- too random and clunky

Maybe an item could be upgraded by adding rare materials to it? like, adding the Salamander's Heart fist-sized ruby we got, to our family's sword as pommel jewel, could give it the Elemental (fire) enhancement. Or not. It depends on the ability of the crafter adding the gem, in the end.

Gems, they are truly, truly... outrageous
>>
>>43704865
Adding new abilities/Enhancements after the item has been Crafted by consuming special materials could be part of a high-level Crafting skill called Reforging.
It allows for a Crafter to try to add a new Enhancement, rate of success being 1/2 of the Job level + 1/2(Int bonus + Agi bonus).
The material determines the Enhancement.
Maybe there's a musty old tome or carven tablet that explains some combinations figured out by a master Crafter(or instructions etched onto a Legendary set of arms and armor made by said Crafter as his masterpiece).

The chance of getting special Enhancements for deeds and feats sounds interesting, but far too random and completely up to the DM's determination to be part of a good crafting system.
>>
>>43704865
>Funnel
>Greater, Shield
all aoe attacks only target the user of the shield, at increased damage that decreases with tier

>Mystique
The cloth whips and flows in such a way to extend the effective range of a dance

>Banish
>minor
small chance to unsummon summoned creatures with every hit, including menagerie units
>>
File: zoe 013.jpg (426 KB, 800x950) Image search: [Google]
zoe 013.jpg
426 KB, 800x950
>>43704843
>Basically the "set" system from before. A greater enchant that does nothing by itself, every piece grants strengthens the minor enhancements by 5/10/15% per equipment piece

I like that idea. A full set of weapon, armor and shield, all of it crafted as a set by the same crafter, would have a linked enhancement on each piece.

>Exponentially decreases offense and max hp(but not defense, to ease calculations) to linearly increase xp rate

Shouldnt it just increase damage taken and exp accordingly? Broken bones are great teachers, you know?

8% => 15% => 22% increased damage from all sources, and increased exp gains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfbyBIh49jU

>>43704843
>Increases MP/damage efficiency for spells that use ONLY elements that your equipment amplifies.
I thought I made one like that, increasing the efficiency of converting mana into damage by 2:3 1:2 and 1:3 but maybe I forgot to punch it into the pdf. Anyway, seems good to me

>A failed attempt at making an Anti-ERROR enhancement, this weapon absorbs and dissipates magical buffs and debuffs from targets, decreasing their duration by X turns per hit.
Wouldn't it be benefitial for the target if you are going to eat away at the duration of debuffs on it?

>>43704968
I like the reforging idea. Couild make it a Craft Trick you can only learn after reaching a high level as a crafter, but Im not so fond of the material determining the type of enhancement. The material quality would, however, substract or add to the chance of success, though.

>>43704989
>all aoe attacks only target the user of the shield, at increased damage that decreases with tier
AoE attacks affecting you and your allies are turned into single target attacks affecting only you, and dealing increased damage.
33% => 23% => 10% increased damage seems good?

Probably need to improve the wording on it

1/?
>>
File: zoe 009.jpg (634 KB, 1023x800) Image search: [Google]
zoe 009.jpg
634 KB, 1023x800
>>43705063
>>43704989

>The cloth whips and flows in such a way to extend the effective range of a dance
I think Hatred on a pair of dancer's fans or another dancer weapon/accessory would do the same

>small chance to unsummon summoned creatures with every hit, including menagerie units
I'm thinking an accessory enhancement giving critical attacks dealt by you or creatures in your menageria, a chance to banish summoned creatures. Enemy menagerie creatures are considered "killed" and cannot be summoned again for 24 hours, as normal.
10% => 20% => 30% => 45% => 60% => 75% => 100%

I got sleepy too. Well, I'll go lie down for a bit, I guess, since you are going away too. Will write this all down when I come back
>>
>>43705135
single tier only minors that are mostly utility

>glows blue in the presence of magic/poison

>lights up like a torch

>the sky is reflected upon its blade

yeah, I'm out. gnight
>>
>>43705063
>but Im not so fond of the material determining the type of enhancement
It's more that certain special enhancements should require certain material components.

>Dragonslayer
Inflicts 50% greater damage and ignores damage reduction on Draconic-type enemies. Requires 6 Dragon Claws, 6 Dragon's Teeth, 1 Dragon Heart. Can only be applied to Runic and higher.
>>
File: zoe 004.jpg (576 KB, 884x1300) Image search: [Google]
zoe 004.jpg
576 KB, 884x1300
>>43705216
alright im back
>>
File: zoe 001.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
zoe 001.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>43705331
I think that sounds more like a enChantment, you know?
>>
>>43707601
Yeah, but Reforging giving an item new abilities should require new materials, I think.

Improving an existing Enhancement with better materials seems fine, but a new property should require something more exotic.
>>
File: zoe 002.png (952 KB, 1100x900) Image search: [Google]
zoe 002.png
952 KB, 1100x900
>>43708241
>Yeah, but Reforging giving an item new abilities should require new materials, I think.
Well, oviously. I think same quality or higher should be a requisite,

I think there should be a limit, though, so we don't end up with a pimped out sword that has 3 pommel gems, two blades, spikes, chains, golden and silver glow and a honey faery hanging from a keychain as if she was some sort of cellphone ornament, though.

Now, I would like ideas on what's the maximum and how do we define it?

Also, are you the same friend who went to sleep a while ago, or someone else? man, did you sleep at all?
>>
>>43708580
No, didn't go to sleep because you started the thread in my morning and it's now my afternoon.

Maybe have the Crafter's level determine how many Enhancements the item can have. Maybe a max of 4 Tier 7 Minor Enhancements and 2 Tier 9 Greater Enhancements?
5 minor enhancements in total, 3 Greater Enhancements in total?
>>
>>43708854
I decided to go with

When adding a new enhancement (reforging), the Base Chance is divided by (1 + n° of preexisting enhancements)

So if we continue the 250% example from before, you have a 125% base chance to successfully apply a wnd enhancement through reforging, which gives you a 63% for a 2nd tier of that enhancement, then a 32% for a 3rd tier, a 16% for a fourth tier, a 8% for a sixth tier, and a 4% for a seventh tier.

Don't worry TOO much, though, because I also added a bonus based on the quality of materials being used for the reforging. The material bonus cannot stack more than once, and you can't use the same material again.

After all, you can only add gold plating once before its pointless. What, more god will make it look more golden or something? its already gold plated, its not gonna do anything.
>>
File: portia swimsuit.jpg (348 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
portia swimsuit.jpg
348 KB, 600x800
>>43708996
I would like help rewording that in a clearer way, I think.

Remember, english isn't my 1st language
>>
>>43709043
There can be only 1 minor enhancement and 1 greater enhancement on an item, correct?
>>
>>43709515
actually disregard that if you can, I was distracted- Hold on I will retype it.
>>
File: portia sweater.jpg (778 KB, 1280x1843) Image search: [Google]
portia sweater.jpg
778 KB, 1280x1843
I'm thinking that there shouldn't be a hard cap, but since adding a new enhancement has very reduced chances of success, we probably wont ever see items with LOTS and LOTS of enhancements, not even with us breaking the system.

For example, going with the same crafter with AGI 100, INT 100 and level 50m plus using legendary materials that will add +135

Prime enhancement (added upon item creation) would have a 435% of success on its first tier if it was a random minor enhancement,a 405% if it was a specific OR greater enhancement, and a 385% if it was a specific greater enhancement.

So lets go with this...

Crafting with a specific greater enhancement as a goal

385% first tier
192% second tier
96% third tier

Now, for now at least, I think we should be able to try and add a new enhancement.

The chances of success for a different, specific greater enhancement while using legendary materials are 385%, right? now it would be 385/2 or 185% for the first tier..

185% first tier of 2nd GE
97% second tier of 2nd GE
48% third tier of 2nd GE

If it was a specific minor enhancement or a random greater enhancement, the chances would be 210% for the first tier of a new enhancement

If it was a random minor enhancement, the chances would be 235% for the first tier of a new enhancement

For a 3rd, specific greater enhancement, it would be 385/3 or 128%

A 4th specific greater enhancement would have to be 385/4 or 96%

Remember that each subsequent tier only has 1/2 as much chance of success so it in fact looks like this

First enhancement 385% / 192% / 96%
Second enhancement 192% / 96% / 48%
Third enhancement 128% / 64% / 32%
Fourth enhancement 96% / 48% / 24%
Fifth enhancement 77% / 38% / 19%

Uhmmm the chances do decrease a lot but are not IMPOSSIBLE. I guess we do need a hard cap after all. How about 5 enhancement "slots"- Greater enhancements use 2 slots, minor use 1?
>>
>>43709870
Alright, changed executioner into a minor enhancement

Executioner – Weapons with this enhancement give you increased chances for a critical hit against enemies with 33% or less of their maximum HP.
5% => 10% => 20% => 30% => 45% => 60% => 75%

Remember that critical hit chances are hard-capped at 75% IIRC
>>
I'm up, I'm up. Due to alarms set by other people for no purpose at all, but I'm up.

>>43708996
Base chance is divided by 2^n, where n is the number of preexisting enhancements.

The material bonus is added to the base chance before division, and must be reapplied with every reforging, using a new material.

>>43709870
did you read >>43704566?
I think Greater Enhancements should be locked to just one type, but no limit on Minor enhancements.
>>
>>43710792
That sounds pretty good. brb
>>
>>43710951
Overdrive
>Minor
deals 200/400/600/800/etc% more damage when thrown, and shatters after use. Prevents enemies from using it.

Or just have a weaker version that breaks on crit.
>>
File: 031.jpg (518 KB, 797x1200) Image search: [Google]
031.jpg
518 KB, 797x1200
>>43704566
>what are the costs of ENHANCING and penalty of failure?
They are both build around materials. If you want a bigger material bonus, you need to add more expensive materials, which are lost if you fail. Also, failing "closes" the possibility of further enhancing an item. Once you fail, that's it.

>specific rare material?
I posted the table with the bonus materials give based on their quality

>money?
You can use double the cost of a material in money if you can't get it.

>time?
You need the craft ability, so it should be instant, I think.

>ritual actions, like secret job requirements?
I am considering having reforging as a crafter trick that requires level 50 crafter to learn.

>>43711059
Isn't that a Broken Phantasm? I was worried we had lost you, FATE fan, I am happy to see you are still with us.

That said, I prefer to do bigger increases by tier than just adding a flat number. Usually
>>
>>43710792
>Base chance is divided by 2^n, where n is the number of preexisting enhancements
That's going to result in
2nd GE Tier 1 = 192
T2= 96
T3= 48

3rd GE T1 = 96
T2 = 48

4th GE T1 = 48

5th GE T1 = 24

In this case the chances go down dramatically after the 4th GE.
>>
>>43711167
no I meant that the limit of 1 Greater enhancement was in that post, but oh well.

>FATE fan
no I'm not that guy, but since there's so many limitations on what is and isn't appropriate, I'm starting to have to dip in media where weapons had gimmicks, like Noble Phantasms.

>Ultima
>Greater
Deals the square root of the user's current hp in damage. 2nd tier adds the square root of mp, and 3rd tier doubles the effect when at full health

>Unseen
>Minor
Whether invisibility or illusions, it's harder to deal with a weapon you cannot see. Add X to chance to hit.
>>
>>43711226
and? did you not read >>43709870?
>Remember that each subsequent tier only has 1/2 as much chance of success so it in fact looks like this
>>
>>43711342
The point is that making the number that divides the base chance of a new Great Enhancement increase exponentially instead of linearly like King originally had changes whether we keep the hard limit of number of Enhancements like King wanted to do.
>>
File: 093_s4UGSRK.jpg (348 KB, 1000x1434) Image search: [Google]
093_s4UGSRK.jpg
348 KB, 1000x1434
>>43711226
Uhm, so you think we can go without the hard cap and just go with a limit based on luck, by going until we roll a failure?

>>43711328
I miss that guy. I din't really mind his constant FATE references since our thread is meant to be somewhat light hearted and to make fun of stuff like that, but some people apparently did

>>Ultima
>>Greater
>Deals the square root of the user's current hp in damage. 2nd tier adds the square root of mp, and 3rd tier doubles the effect when at full health
That has the same problem the original executor enhancement had. It involves a lot of math since you have to recalculate it EACH time you take damage.

>>Unseen
>>Minor
>Whether invisibility or illusions, it's harder to deal with a weapon you cannot see. Add X to chance to hit.

Uhmm that sounds like a good glove enhancement. I think it should be a % of your current attack bonus rather than a flat number, though, that way it is relevant regardless of your level. If you are level 20 and have a +40 attack bonus, having a +100% bonus is just as important as if you were level 300 with a +600 attack bonus. The +100% is still desirable.

If it was a flat number, it would be far less relevant to high level characters and way too op for low level characters.

As >>43711342 says, the % of success... are not that bad even if we spam enhancements. But as >>43711226 says, it depends on when the materials quality bonus is added. ie before or after division.

Do you think it should be added...

>After dividing the base chance of success by (1 + n° of preexistent enhancements)
>Before dividing the base chance of success by 2^X, where X is the number of preexisting enhancements
>Other
>>
File: Heven Stella.jpg (522 KB, 1320x2000) Image search: [Google]
Heven Stella.jpg
522 KB, 1320x2000
I am undecided on wether there should be a hard cap, or just let the diminishing chances of success act as a soft cap, If we have a hard cap, then failing wouldnt "close" the item to further enhancements. It would have 5 slots of enhancements, Greater enhancements use 2 slots, Minor enhancements use 1, and failing just means you lost money and/or materials

If we leave the limit as a soft cap, then we should make it so that failing at a tier "closes" the item to any future enhancements.

>Hard limit. 5 slots
>Soft limit. Failure "closes" an item.
>Other
>>
>>43711615
>but some people apparently did
It was annoying because he wanted everything, down to how magic works at a fundamental level, to work exactly like in the Nasuverse. Maybe it didn't pop out to you because English isn't your first language, but it was really grating and obvious to others.
>>
>>43711634
I think that being able to tell whether an item is still open to Reforging or is closed should factor into the decision of a hard or soft cap.
We need to consider whether this is going to be something that can be easily done in a future where Crafters can see this, or something that should really make a person think on their decision to try Reforging.
>>
>>43711634
Of Grilling
Cooking ingredients dropped by monsters killed with this are grilled to X quality. No way to modify cooking process, but they are instantly cooked for free.
>>
>>43711634
Reactive
Explodes on contact, dealing little to no damage, but has a chance of stunning the attacker
>>
>>43705216
Makes funny sounds when struck or striking something
>>
>>43711868
>how magic works at a fundamental level
Yeah, I guess I never noticed

Uhmm I wonder if we could copy the ..oh God I forgot the name of the D&D weapons that disintegrate undead... disrupting? I think so.

Maybe we could have a Disrupting minor enhancement which would either add
+5% => +13% => +25% => +50% => +80% => +135% => +200% to chance of critical hits vs undead, outsiders (i think it would include the [ERROR]s there) and constructs

or increased damage vs a specific type of monster, on all attacks against them. A "Bane of (Insert here)" enhancement

10% => 20% => 30% => 45% => 60% => 75% => 100%

Also, having said that, I think weapon enhancements are flashy and easy to come up with, but I would really like ideas for accessories and armor pieces.

>>43711982
>I think that being able to tell whether an item is still open to Reforging or is closed should factor into the decision of a hard or soft cap.
Well right now only we and our friends with identify glasses can see it, which is why item enhancement is really poorly understood right now by pretty much everyone.

>We need to consider whether this is going to be something that can be easily done in a future where Crafters can see this, or something that should really make a person think on their decision to try Reforging.

Right now, it's the second case, but once the glasses become popular, it will be the first case.

>>43711993
IIRC either the biologist or botanist already has a class feature that upgrades the quality of monster drops. I really REALLY hate it when game developers give an item, some class' feature, making the class or job useless. I have hated it for years, and I certainly am NOT going to implement it myself.

1/?
>>
File: posrtia main.jpg (520 KB, 1890x1188) Image search: [Google]
posrtia main.jpg
520 KB, 1890x1188
>>43712129

"Oh, yeah, the assassin can turn invisible! Assassins have shit defense and shit damage after the first hit, but they can become invisible, isn't that awesome!?"

Two patches or splatbooks later...

"Hey, look, potions of invisibility! now everyone can become invisible! isn't that awesome"

And thus, the assassins became pointless.

I remember playing RFOnline, and loving my archer because it had a super long range attack, then suddenly a potion came out that gave everyone a super long reach, and my poor archer became fucking redundant. People would just grab a wizard and give it a potion of hatred, and done! bigger dps, same range!
>>
>>43712129
Reduce healing by x for y turns

Added effects on crit

Convert damage into chamce to apply a status ailment. More tiers mean more ailments.
>>
>>43712772
>Reduce healing by x for y turns
I think it should be "all healing" so it clearly includes regeneration and any healing from weird sources, to prevent confusion, and sure, it sounds fine as a minor enhancement that triggers on a critical hit.

>Added effects on crit
Right

>Convert damage into chamce to apply a status ailment. More tiers mean more ailments.
But the dancer's gimmick is to apply debuffs, and like I just said, I think like giving class abilities to items. Maybe if it was a growing chance to apply a weapon unique debuff for three rounds, something like "bleed", dealing 10% chance of a target's max health for three rounds. Successive applications of the effect don't increase the bleeding, nor does it stack the duration. Instead, it refreshes it.

So if you cause a target to bleed for 3 rounds, and next round successfully do it again, instead of it bleeding for 5 more rounds, it will bleed for 3 more rounds.

It would always be "3 more rounds since the last time bleed was successfully applied"

Uhmm... should it be on critical hit or on hit? it seems minor enough to be on hit, I think

Ah, to steal an idea from League of Legends, how about "Opressor"? deals more damage if target is affected by a debuff.

+5% => +13% => +25% => +50% => +80% => +135% => +200% bonus damage
>>
>>43712912
I suggested it because of excalipur, the fake weapon that deals only 1 damage but has a high chance to apply frog, making it arguably better than the real thing.
>>
>>43712961
>excalipur
I feel it should be called excalipun, but it sounds hilarious
>>
>>43712997
brb shower
>>
>>43712912
Necrotic
>minor
creatures slain by this weapon are raised as non-sentient undead. They don't do anything, but count as valid targets for attacking and get in the way of charges and such.
>>
>>43713494
that's it, I can't think of any more.
>>
>>43713494
Uhmm I would call it Echo

This weapon creates a non.sentient copy of creatures slain by it. The copies cannot follow instructions or attack on their own, but they do their best to get in the way of enemy charges and ranged attacks.

Maybe it can create something like a moving obstacle like a human sized boulder? though I like the idea of the owner of the weapon being able to use his int and dex to esculpt it into something more specific.
>>
>>43713632
I didn't mean moving, more like stationary meatshields that change the effective "terrain" of the field to one with cover.

but that works too.
>>
>>43713674
Ah, I like your idea, actually. How about they being basically large armored figures with tower shields who are only tangible for enemies? maybe passing through them heals you by a very small amount and consumes the pesudo summon?

1% => 1.5% => 2% => 2.5% => 3% => 4% => 5% of your maximum HP

Though, honestly, I think this is complicated enough to qualify as an enchantment instead of a enhancement, which is meant to add something to the immediate nature or effects of the weapon, armor or accessory it enhances.
>>
File: 07fd1f3be3b0fce3a6105afe0b4e422a.jpg (203 KB, 1137x1377) Image search: [Google]
07fd1f3be3b0fce3a6105afe0b4e422a.jpg
203 KB, 1137x1377
>>43714044

Actually, do you play League of Legends? im suddenly reminded of a character called Azir who can summon 5-6 soldiers on a line. All the soldiers do is charge forth, push back enemies, and be a impassable barrier (for enemies) while allowing allies to pass through and making them sliiightly faster.

In this video, my favorite play is the #4 because you dont need to understand the game to see how it was useful. It's just that obviously useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGcHZQkwAw
>>
>>43714199
been a while since I looked at LoL

I can't imagine many of the LoL moves translating into enhancements. Most of them seem like enchantments. Maybe look at the hero passives?

What about the lantern thing that allies can teleport to?
>>
>>43714512
Uhmm... I wonder how that would be make into a inherent part of a weapon, armor, shield or accessory...

I could see boots that, after using an ability or spell, give you a short "jump" or teleport.

Something like 5 => 10 => 15ft may be good for a greater boot enhancement. Is not that big a distance, but since it lets you ignore blocking terrain, it can let you do things like getting to the other side of a line of defenders, a portcullis, a wall with arrow slits and such.
>>
>>43714662
I'm pretty sure the lantern acts as a waypoint that allies can teleport TOWARDS
>>
File: elf archer cute.jpg (170 KB, 800x1082) Image search: [Google]
elf archer cute.jpg
170 KB, 800x1082
>>43714911
from LOL? you may be thinking of wards. There is a character called tresh who can throw a lanter to the ground, and an ally who clicks it is teleported to tresh, so thats may be what i got confused about.

If you ever wanna play, I have an extra account. You can log in and try some characters and maybe get ideas from their abilities and such.

Anyway, its pretty late. I'll be going soon but the regular thread is tomorrow. I wonder if I should archive this one...
>>
>>43715148
no, I'm good. It's just been a while. Really if you want to use LoL stuff, go ahead and check the wikis or something, assuming they have a color-negative mode for you to peruse
>>
File: practical.jpg (406 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
practical.jpg
406 KB, 1920x1080
>>43715262
eh, I have a google chrome add on that reverses the colors of sites just by pressing shift + F11. Its called "High Contrast Add On"

Look, this is what wikipedia looks like with the add on turned on.

I usually also use the ctrl + mouse wheel to zoom in, obviously
>>
>>43715497
there's bound to be SOME hero unique passives that you can use, so you check them out whenever you want.

doesn't seem terribly important to archive this, as long as you copy the important stuff and post the new pdf next time.
>>
>>43715497
>skythewood
Let me guess: Overlord, Gifting, Log Horizon....Gate?
>>
>>43715746
yeah, they also have a new one at the end of the list, though its only prologue and chapter 1 right now. Guy dies, pissed God off, and gets to reincarnate as a little girl in a world at war.

btw, Slave Harem is also a LN. It has a guy go into a world where he can naturally see the stats of items and people, and the author, like me, shamelessly steals the card system from ragnarok online. Sex scenes are mostly limited to "So we enjoyed the night together" one liners, so its something I would recommend to anyone.

I think the author spends way too long describing fights, though. It feels as if he uses it as filler. Also, one of the characters is the typical exposition/bookworm type, CONSTANTLY explaining what skills do, what monster is weak vs what, how cards work, stuff like that.

If you can get over that, its a decent read.

http://raisingthedead.ninja/current-projects/slave-harem/
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.