[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you port psychic blanks from 40k over to Shadowrun?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Sisters_of_Silence_art.jpg (56 KB, 659x525) Image search: [Google]
Sisters_of_Silence_art.jpg
56 KB, 659x525
How would you port psychic blanks from 40k over to Shadowrun? And if you did, how would corps and authorities react to these walking balls of anti magic popping up?
>>
>>43703478
it's shadowrun, the authorities would react to it the same way they react to absolutely everything else: they'd capture them, shove a lot of needles and probes into their asses and keep them in underground cells waiting for them to go berzerk and nuke half the city because they're tired of getting probed all the time by idiot scientists who think probing everything is the only way to get cred.
>>
>>43703502
this
>>
>>43703478
Pretty sure such things already exist, but they tend to be locational not persons. Since magic is the essence of life, really the only thing that could qualify would be a cyberzombie stapled together with cyber necromancy. Certain metatypes like gnomes have inherent magic resistance, but a full on essence hole would be something... Not alive. A real abomination. An un-thing.

As for how the corps and authorities would react, anon hit it. Experimentation, direction, exploitation, pogroms, etc
>>
Arcane Arrester with Astral Hazing qualities. All spells cast on them are cast at -4 (potentially more) as per mana ebb rules and all spells that actually connect lead to halved force. Even the strongest (uninitiated) mages can only hit them at Force 1 - the equivalent of a child slapping you with a bat.
>>
>>43703478
During 3rd edition there was something like that in the Germany/Austria/Swizerland splatbook, though I don't know if that ever got translated.
The idea there was less 'psychic blank' and more 'Bavarians are too stupid to be affected by magic', though. They could basically roll to disbelieve, nullifying any magic in their area. The less intelligent the character was, the higher the chance of success.
Yes, it was retarded as fuck, but the authors back than had this huge hateboner for Bavaria, so....yeah.
>>
>>43703478
People who are essentially walking sources of background count, since their souls are a hole in the manasphere or something.

I'd say they're treated as having ESS 0 for determining their social limit, have additional penalties on social skills due to their horrible/unnatural nature, cannot ever do magic, are impossible to astrally perceive, passively raise the background count by some value, and can do an interrupt that either increases it further, or throws an additional penalty on magic.

Being too close to a blank/untouchable/paraiah would probably cause mages and spirits to make drain-resistance tests. Spirits would get penalties on all their rolls, and would have to make really hard checks just to get close to one. Regularly forcing spirits to interact with a blanks may harm one's reputation in the metaplanes.
>>
>>43705455
Okay, but what about blank's and augmentations? If they don't have a essence issue, then they can use whatever augments they please.
>>
>>43706076
Fuck forgot to add something.
Why have we never heard of blank's in the lore before? Did they just show up one day?
>>
>>43706076
>>43706093'
>what about blank's and augmentations?
I said they're treated as ESS 0 for their social limit only, since they're freaky and unnatural. Aside from that, they're still metahuman and their actual ESS score works normally (start at 6, die at 0, penalties on medicine checks, etc).

>Why have we never heard of blank's in the lore before? Did they just show up one day?
Yes. Just like mages, funky metatypes, and everything else in SR. There are some lines about "new types of metatype/magician/etc are appearing every day", which is pretty much the usual excuse for canon additions. One could also say that they're so rare that there's not much public awareness about them. Or that some corps have been keeping them secret while studying them. Or even just retcon them in.
>>
Blanks for the most part already exist in the form of cyberzombies. That said, magic and the warp work totally different. Hard to make a direct analogue for anything from one in the other.
>>
>>43706549
To be fair, blanks and cyberzombies aren't exactly on the same level.
If you did put a blank next to a mage, then the mage would have a fucking seizure.
Do it with a cyberzombie, and not as much. Blanks are walking hazards to wage mages and spirits.
>>
>>43706716
>If you did put a blank next to a mage, then the mage would have a fucking seizure.
That's the problem; no they wouldn't. Magic isn't psyker power. It's not fueled by the warp. And mana works far different from the warp and serves a different purpose in the Shadowrun universe.
>>
>>43706751
That's the problem with the thread really, are these psychic blanks just psychic blanks, or are they magic blanks?
OP said psychic blanks, but then he turned around and called them "walking balls of anti magic".

So are they psychic blanks or magic blanks? If psychic, they do jack shit rather than people feeling spooked around them. Magic blanks I'm not so sure about really.
>>
If I remember correctly there was something like that in one of the german novels by Markus Heitz. Should be TAKC 3000 and the characters name was Keimag or something. Now, whether or not that was ever canon, I don't know...
>>
>>43703478
I'm pretty sure there are anti-mages in shadowrun. At least in one of the books.
>>
>>43706751
It's pretty easy to port the concept of blanks. You pretty much replace "psyker" with "awakened" and "warp" with "mana".

SR version of blanks would fuck with mana. They would make life really hard for mages and spirits.
>>
>>43706845
Yeah,He knocked up a magic using chick that got sick from the anti-magic fetus
>>
Seems to be a German thing however, as all the sources I could find for Nega-Magie were in German Novels: Wiener Blut, TAKC 3000, Gottes Engel, Aeternitas, Sturmvogel, 05:58, and Jede Wette.
>>
>>43706856
>SR version of blanks would fuck with mana. They would make life really hard for mages and spirits.
And once again, we're back to them just being natural versions of cyberzombies, because that's basically what they sound like.

It makes no sense for these "blanks" to hurt mages, because mages aren't inherently hurt by voids of magic. It disrupts and fucks with their spells, and makes astral sight dangerous as fuck, but otherwise does nothing harmful to them.
>>
>>43707101
Well in 40k, there is a blank scale. Meaning that there are stronger blanks, so cyberzombies could just be very weak blanks.
>>
>>43707174
>Meaning that there are stronger blanks, so cyberzombies could just be very weak blanks.
I thought that the rating for blanks was just dependent on how big the void they produce is? That means that a cyberzombie's "blank level" is literally just a measure of how bad their background count is (there are varying strengths of cyberzombie as well).
>>
>>43707267
Something like that, also their sheer ability to disrupt anything like that. The powerful ones can shut down most Pskyers.

Even the best still potentially explode when trying to shut down things like Alpha Plus Pskyers or Demon Titans.

It's like throwing a bucket of water on a burning oil plant.
>>
>>43707311
>It's like throwing a bucket of water on a burning oil plant.
And there's the problem: magic in Shadowrun is nothing like that. Mages aren't forced to use their power, and won't die without it. It's uncomforting to be around a cyberzombie (and magic won't work right), but the only thing that will kill a mage about being around such a thing is the giant metal arms of the cyberzombie itself.
>>
>>43707375
What exactly are cyberzombies? Are they just robozombies or some shit?
>>
>>43707395
Cyberware (and essence loss in general) weakens the link between the soul and the body. When you run out of essence, you die.

At some point, someone discovered that you can artificially maintain the link between soul and body using magic, allowing a creature to live long after their essence goes below 0... but with a catch. The powerful magicks that bind their soul also warp the ambient mana around them, and the subject is driven well into madness.

In simplest terms, they are super-cyborgs kept alive through necromancy and hi-tech.
>>
>>43707446
The double problem is that blanks flat out don't have a soul at all, yet they are still working. They wouldn't work in Shadowrun at all.
Unless they're using some weird Anti MagicTM
>>
>>43706904
Apparently. The kebab addicted journalist and the hawai-shirt troll together with negative magic sounded like heitz just wrote the log of a silly homebrew SR game
>>
I'd imagine Blanks becoming too chromed up would work similarly to how it works with regular people but possibly

Your lack of soul starts to realize it doesn't work, and without a proper body to anchor it starts to implode.
>>
>>43707779
>Your lack of soul starts to realize it doesn't work, and without a proper body to anchor it starts to implode.
Problem: souls are in EVERYTHING in Shadowrun. Bacteria have souls. The fucking planet has a soul. Only inanimate objects generate no aura, and the only natural astral void is the empty vacuum of space.
>>
>>43707856
That would make them scarier, right?
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 253x199) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 253x199
>>43707892
More like "how do you function?". They would be like fucking pic related, but even more unnatural.
>>
>>43707892
>That would make them scarier, right?
It would make them a paradox. It'd be like having a creature that breathes vacuum, or an invisibly-green gem, or having something that's so cold that it lights things on fire.
>>
>>43707942
Sounds like a PC alright, it would get full of needles in seconds tho.
Pink Invisible Unicorn when?
>>
>>43707375
>Mages aren't forced to use their power, and won't die without it.

I'm pretty sure they die if they don't have mana. That's why they can't go too far away from the manasphere/earth.
>>
>>43708415
>I'm pretty sure they die if they don't have mana. That's why they can't go too far away from the manasphere/earth.
Only true in the astral plane. As long as they aren't dual-natured (a state they can turn on and off at will), they are like every other human, and equally affected by mana voids.
>>
>>43707942
This, so it's impossible for them to function in Shadowrun if you do that.
You can just say "they naturally fuck with magic like a cyberzombie would" and leave it at that.
>>
File: do you people even read.jpg (84 KB, 294x355) Image search: [Google]
do you people even read.jpg
84 KB, 294x355
I can't believe no one has actually considered, say, looking at the sourcebooks.

Run Faster, p. 119, Metagenic Negative Qualities.
>>
>>43711441
Astral Hazing does not make it so you don't have a soul, boss.
>>
>>43712774
No, but it does make a "walking ball of anti-magic" as the OP was looking for.
>>
>>43712911
>No, but it does make a "walking ball of anti-magic" as the OP was looking for.
Tainted background isn't really the same as anti-magic. It's corrupted magic.

Now that I think about it, cyberzombies have taint too, not a void of magic. There aren't many examples of mana voids.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.