[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Orcs germanic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 29
File: orc_warlord_by_tsabo6-d5r95xb.jpg (62 KB, 999x799) Image search: [Google]
orc_warlord_by_tsabo6-d5r95xb.jpg
62 KB, 999x799
Are Orcs germanic?
>>
>>43690230
During the Roman days, yeah. Rome was never able to conquer their territories because they were a freakishly strong warrior race that knew how to take advantage of their land.

And once Rome lost control of Britannia, the Germans later crossed the waters and unleashed a mass genocide on the people there, raping their women and "colonizing" the island.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/the-anglo-saxon-invasion-britain-is-more-germanic-than-it-thinks-a-768706-2.html

Very orcish. At least historically.
>>
>>43690230
No. I'm pretty sure they're from Scottland, actually. Orkney, to be specific.
>>
>>43690577
That article is bullshit, buddy. Hell, even the name is silly, since the English have been referring to themselves as Anglo-Saxon for forever, so Britain's certainly not "more Germanic than it thinks." And the Romans did conquer Germany, by the way.

In answer to OP's question, well, it depends. Tolkien's orcs were not Germanic, at all. They were Asian. Think Mongolian horde.

It would be totally appropriate to make orcs Germanic though, since to the Romans the Germans were the epitome of a savage warrior race.

Hell, one of the interesting things about European history is how the pacifistic religion of Christianity was adopted by the savage Germans, but in the process we ended up with this weird mix of culture that ended up in the crusades.
>>
>>43690230
>Germans
FOREST
DWELLERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>43690939
My primary source is actually the documentary "Monarchy," that was just the only page I could find on Google that wasn't about World War II.
>>
>>43690939
To be fair the Romans did it first. When Christianity was adopted by the Empire the Church was pretty quick to switch from "Rome is the doom of the world and it's armies oppress" to "Rome is the protector of Christendom and it's armies fight the good fight".

That said the germanics converting was definitely weirder, especially the late comers like the Normans and Scandinavians. Not that it stopped their raiding and pillaging much
>>
>>43690230
In shadowrun, orks can be any ethnicity
>>
>>43690939
How are Tolkien orcs at all similar to Mongols?
>>
File: Warboss Otto Von Thraka.jpg (240 KB, 734x1000) Image search: [Google]
Warboss Otto Von Thraka.jpg
240 KB, 734x1000
>I must unite the orcish peoples under one WAAAGH
>>
>>43690230
I always associated orcs with niggers. Tribal, colored skin, strong, stupid, ill-mannered and barbaric. Im guessing whichever author first put pen to paper and created orcs, was thinking the same thing.
>>
File: aba[1].jpg (500 KB, 1354x1053) Image search: [Google]
aba[1].jpg
500 KB, 1354x1053
>>43690230
>Savage brutes who, despite dedicating their entire lives to destruction, have never advanced past the basic zerg rush
Sounds about right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
>>43691455
Guy is taking a quote out of context where Tolkien uses the term "mongoloid." Tolkien doesn't mean orcs=asians there. And certainly isn't trying to draw any comparisons to the Mongols.
>>
>>43691975
>Tolkien orcs
>tribal
>stupid
Shit troll or actual retard? We may never know.
>>
>>43691455
>Slant eyes
>Broad faces
>Flat noses
>Quick-attacking marauders
>Coming "from the east"
>Using a harsh sounding language
>Using scimitars

These aspects are applicable to Mongols and Huns, however it's also possible he just generally drew inspiration from what, at the time, was the knowledge of "barbaric" cultures, which was heavily based on the consensual state of Hun and Mongolian culture.
>>
>>43692163
>mongols
>scimitars
>>
>>43692181

Did they use fucking katanas ?
>>
>>43690230

I think I saw this thread yesterday, except it said "Are Orcs white?".

My conclusion is that these are thinly veiled bait threads which we'll see a lot of in the coming weeks. I can't imagine anything remotely interesting happening in these threads, so sage and move on.
>>
File: 1334628464173[2].jpg (17 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
1334628464173[2].jpg
17 KB, 350x277
>>43692206
How else did they conquer Eurasia? Not with blunt longswords that can't even cut through butter, let alone solid steel.
>>
>>43692163
If they were based on Steppe raiders they'd have horse archers.

And in actuality Orcs come from the north, Angband and Utumno.
>>
>>43692163
>Slant eyes
>Tolkien orcs
>Scimitars
>Mongols
Also, weren't there any actual Eastern races in his settings? Like those elephant riding dudes?
Orcs are middle-earth thing.
>>
>>43691455
>>43692051

Tolkien didn't call his Orc's "mongoloid".

What he said was

"...they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types."

A lot of people have argued over whether or not this comment is racist, but I don't think it is. I think the parenthetical "to Europeans" implies he meant his Orcs were meant to look like racist caricatures of Mongolians made by Europeans, not like what he thought Mongolians actually looked like.
>>
>>43691975
>I always associated orcs with niggers. Tribal, colored skin, strong, stupid, ill-mannered and barbaric.

You know what's funny, you could apply that same rhetoric to Germans/Celts from the Roman/Greek point of view and it'd be accurate! Wow!
>>
>>43692267
Oliphants came from the south, and were ridden by the Haradrim.

To the east was lands like Khand and Rhun, which were mannish kingdoms.
>>
>>43690230

To answer OP:

Depends on the setting.

Warcraft, for example, borrows heavily from Germanic history/myth/etc. for their orcs. Some of the parallels are so stupidly obvious, like Garrosh and his dreams of lebensraum for the Orcish race. Grommash even makes mention of "blood and iron" in one of the WoD promo videos. Not to mention the wolf symbolism, berserker rages, going into battle half-naked, axe fetishism, etc.
>>
>>43692206
They actually did use scimitars, as a side-arm. They mainly relied on bows and lances.
>>
File: 1406161122192.png (18 KB, 509x411) Image search: [Google]
1406161122192.png
18 KB, 509x411
>>43692383
Retardation inbound, but due to their Shamanistic nature, as well as the Savannah-like looks of the Barrens in WoW, I always assumed the Orcs were supposed to be African inspired, and their instinctive friendship with the Native American inspired Tauren was supposed to reflect the nature of the noble savage, whereas the humans only met the orcs with hostility.

I'm probably wrong, but even after having played Warcraft 3, Germanic tribes is the last thing I would've expected as their inspiration. It does sound plausible on second thought.
>>
>>43692163
>quick-attacking marauders
They were? Orcs, I mean. The rest is purely superficial as well, and doesn't make them anything like Mongols.
>>
>>43692456

>whereas the humans only met the orcs with hostility.

Yeah generally when a group of demon-fueled monsters barge in from another planet, kill all your people, burn your city, and murder your king you tend to not be too keen on being buddies with them.

Especially when their new leader openly venerates two of their most bloodthirsty guys from the previous war.
>>
>>43692456

Orcish Shamanism is more like Tengri than African voodoo stuff. Besides, I didn't say the Orcs WERE Germanic, just that they borrowed heavily from the "iconic" Germanic barbarians. The Orcs of Warcraft also borrow from the Mongols, the Celts, the Native Americans, the Japanese, the Spartans, etc. When you take a pretty critical and in-depth look at them though, you'll find very little about the Orcs that is African. Blizzard just took what they thought was cool from iconic barbarians/super badass warrior cultures/etc. and jumbled it up until they came up with Orcs.

The Orc campaign in WC3 is titled "the Invasion of Kalimdor" at which point the Orcs begin slaughtering the natives en masse, befriending a few, and then using their new native allies to help kill their enemies. That is far closer to the European colonization of Kalimdor than anything in the history of Subsaharan Africa.
>>
>>43692645
>European colonization of Kalimdor

Meant to say European colonization of America.
>>
>>43692253
I'll agree on Angband and Utumno being "north", but judging from the map illustration of the Silmarillion, I still could draw the argument that those locations are "east" of the more elvish and "Westmen" populated regions.

And the question comes to mind if Tolkien wanted them as "Steppe Raiders" or as "vicious barbaric attackers" and just picked those aspects he liked and left the rest out.

I imagine he didn't want to be as truthful to the "source material" to appear knowledgeable like the average modern /tg/-world builder, mind you.

It's actually stated somewhere that he hated allegory, that his work was purely fiction and that he didn't want to transport or convey any deeper meaning, while also that he was fine with people simply applying personal opinions and values on his work without trying to accuse him of aiming for that exact interpretation.
>>
>>43692495
Orcs were described as primarily raiders unless a greater evil led them, such as Melkor or Sauron, as well as being very violent in nature. Those aspects make it easy for me to interpret them as focusing attacking hard and fast, especially in regard to them being said to be physically weaker than a Westman.

So they focus on coming over the flanks, kill and loot as much as they can and run before too many of them get cut down in the ensuing counterattack.

On account of "not making them anything like Mongols":

That is very possibly true, especially in our modern understanding of Mongol and Hun culture. But back then, studies of such cultures was purely based on medieval and ancient writers that were more superficial than anthing, as well. I think it's fairly easy to say that, since the Orcs weren't supposed to be anything more than just vicious, outlandish barbarians with no capacity to create their own governed state, the appeal was to just paint them equally superficial in appearance.
>>
File: TG a magical place.jpg (123 KB, 600x1824) Image search: [Google]
TG a magical place.jpg
123 KB, 600x1824
>>43692710
>I still could draw the argument that those locations are "east" of the more elvish and "Westmen" populated regions.

That's a stretch. When each fortress is relevant, it's closely identified as the North. The East belongs to men, if anything.

Honestly I think you're over emphasizing the Mongol quote. We know basically nothing about the specific trappings of Orc culture, or even where their major population centers were besides Angband, Utumno, Misty Mountains, and Mordor.

Mordor is the only one of those that's described as "eastern" and it has zip all to do with the mongols.

Tolkien's thoughts on allegory can be found in the forward to LotR. He's pretty explicit saying that there's few if any, /consistent/ parallels to be drawn between Middle Earth and any later civilization.

There is plenty of deeper meaning to his work, it's just not found by trying associate peoples and places with historical equivalents.

You can try to do that, and maybe even find some close matches, but drawing conclusions from such an exercise isn't going to yield much insight.
>>
>>43692645
Well, you have the merry band of Andalusian mercs, Spanish Mercs and Morocoans, aprox 4.000, lead be an Eunuch invaded the Songhay and became the defacto rulers, later named as Arma (in Castilian it means weapon, probably from the voice A la arma than its the tipical call to arms) making petty kingdom ruled be they offspring after they allied with the local clans and married the local princesses.
>>
>>43690230
I always thought of them as Rome

>To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace.
>>
Can Orcs be Romans? Can grots be citizens?
>>
>>43693631
That makes no sense whatsoever.

Orcs usually fulfil all the worst stereotypes the Romans had of barbarians, they don't bring running water, organisation and urban planning. Rome is almost as far from a typical fantasy orc as it is possible to be.
>>
>>43692249
>can't even cut through butter
Harlaus need a word with you mate
>>
File: 522.gif (7 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
522.gif
7 KB, 600x550
>>43690230
In a game of pretend, they can be whatever you want
>>
>>43693782
>Pagan empire
>Ruled by an evil emperor
>Brutal and warlike
>Expansionist

>Not orcs
>>
>>43693631
The Romans were pretty nice conquerors, relative to the other civilizations of their time (save Persia). Sure, they did some messed-up stuff, which was standard for conquest, but they would also improve the places they conquered with their technology and civility.

They would even make quite a few conquered peoples citizens, which is more than what a lot of other civilizations at the time did.

Were the Romans nice from a modern perspective? No. But for their time? They were pretty good.
>>
>>43693893
Also Conquer is a very vague term.

Much of the ground Romans claimed were simply done by buying out the kings and making them extremely wealthy vassals.

Briton was quite famous for this, because almost all of the large Roman settlements were just Celtic cities that received funding from Rome.
>>
>>43693893
I guess, it just depends on what you value.
I mean, sure they murdered thousands upon thousands of people and stole their lands.

But hey, aqueducts are pretty neat.
>>
>>43692307
>Implying Germans aren't just forest niggers.
Only meds are true whites; except the Greeks, they're olive niggers.
>>
>>43690230

Oh nice, the "Are Orcs black?" thread got reposted, except maybe now the modfag will fuck off because you're allowed to unfavorably compare things to whites.

Also, to that one dumb fuck who brought up muh crusades before that thread got deleted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
>>
>>43694012
>there are people on this planet who think anything other than pale nordics is white

I'm not even concerned with whiteness because it's a retarded term that mostly came to prominence due to american idiocy, but let's not delude ourselves. The idea that swarthy as fuck moorish mongrels are white is pretty historically dubious, Iberians and such have literally never been white and still aren't. There's a difference between acknowledging you're civilized westerner who is not a pitch black tribal and being full white, which is a very specific thing.
>>
>>43694258
But if the nords are the only ones that are truly white, I won't be able to conflate the color of skin with "humaness" and how civilized a people are!
On account of scandis either being barbaric viking shits, or spineless keks; not once in their history have they been civilized
Fuck Germanics
>>
File: MxXIBUX.jpg (89 KB, 599x743) Image search: [Google]
MxXIBUX.jpg
89 KB, 599x743
>>43690230
Nah, that would be Hobgoblins.
>>
>>43693867
So you are just pretending to be stupid, got it.
>>
>>43693851
Vivec pls go and stay go.
>>
>>43693867
>>Pagan empire
>not worshiping SOL INVICTVS

>>Ruled by an evil emperor
Say that to my face and see what happens, plebeian.

>>Brutal and warlike
The uncivilized barbarians deserve nothing less.

>>Expansionist
The vncivilized barbarians shovld be gratefvl for a chance to become civilized people as Roman citizens!

Let me gvess, yov're one of those "enlightenment" "thinkers" who think that all nations have an intrinsic right to existence and self-determination.
>>
File: Irony.jpg (80 KB, 561x385) Image search: [Google]
Irony.jpg
80 KB, 561x385
>>43694474
This is why no one invites you to parties anymore Cicero.
>>
>>43690230
I prefer Mongolian Orcs but that works
>>
>>43694258
Let's put it this way.

If swarthy-as-fuck-moorish-mongrels aren't white.

That means literally every little claim to civilization and cultural accomplishment the leftover whites have (i.e. germanics, maybe balts and some slavs and celts if feeling generous) are entirely from non-whites down to the last detail.

White supremacism only makes sense if the culture you call white has cultural achievements of its own.
>>
>>43694518
Fvck off you filthy plebeian.
>>
File: 1400180226173.png (145 KB, 702x397) Image search: [Google]
1400180226173.png
145 KB, 702x397
>>43694607
That's the painful irony even the Nazis had trouble dealing with, the fact that until about two centuries ago everything worth talking about came from South of the Rhine and the Alps. Of course, Nazi Germany solved it by assuming literally every single Roman Emperor was Germanic. Even the ones that came from Africa.
>>
File: HAH.png (1 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
HAH.png
1 KB, 125x125
>>43694684
>mfw Afrocentrists are literally reverse Nazis
>>
>>43694642
Boudica did nothing wrong.
>>
>>43694847
>t. Tacitus
>>
>>43694847
She repelled the Romans, that's one thing.
>>
File: 1399803665114.jpg (93 KB, 500x398) Image search: [Google]
1399803665114.jpg
93 KB, 500x398
>>43694847
>Boudica
>Some hag who tried to oppose the Romans
>Got #rekt by them
>Modern day Brits worship her

>Arthur
>"Once and would be king"
>Was nowhere to be found when tha Anglo-Saxon rape train decided its next stop was England

What is it with Anglo-Normans and their fetish for unsuccesful Celtic leaders?
>>
>>43690230
Orcs are from Orcland.
>>
No, they're not. They don't even look alike, don't even have the same tactics, beliefs or anything. Look up ancient germans, they're far from savage barbarians.
>>
File: Superlative.jpg (331 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
Superlative.jpg
331 KB, 517x768
>>43695168
>Look up ancient germans, they're far from savage barbarians.
>Germans actually believe this
>>
>>43695216

ebin :DDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>43694684
>roman emeporer
>from Africa

Uhm, no?
>>
File: Orc_Warrior_by_kossork.png (993 KB, 635x827) Image search: [Google]
Orc_Warrior_by_kossork.png
993 KB, 635x827
>>43695168
>ancient germans
>run into battle naked/semi-naked with funny haircuts
>give themselves personal names relating to war, weapons, and wolves
>rape, pillage, and conquer
>get BTFO by civilized neighbors
>eventually destroy civilization and overrun the remnants of the civilized world
>eventually industrialize and conquer the entire world
>implying this isnt orcish as fuck
>>
File: 100%purekek.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
100%purekek.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1200
>>43695323
>German
>"people"
>>
>>43695393
But those facts are not correct.

Also implying there is some kind of correlation between ancient germans and germans nowadays.
>>
>>43696006
>Also implying there is some kind of correlation between ancient germans and germans nowadays.
You're right, modern Germans are Slavic rape babies.
>>
>>43696006

What about that is incorrect? There are accounts of Germanic barbarians running into battle naked.

There are many Germanic names, some still in use today, with the words "spear," "wolf," "sword," and "army" in them.

The germanic barbarians most certainly did pillage, rape, and conquer.

They were most certainly BTFO by Rome on more than one occasion.

They most certainly conquered Rome and then overran her former provinces such as Gaul, Britannia, Iberia, and Italy.

Did England not industrialize and create the largest empire known to man?

Sure, if you wanna get technical, it can be argued that the Visigoths weren't "true" barbarians by the time they conquered Rome. It could be argued that the English certainly weren't barbarians or very "Germanic" when they industrialized, but nobody is taking this THAT seriously aside from you for whatever reason.
>>
>>43694960
>Destroyed three cities and only lost because she refused to change tactics at her last battle
>>
>>43696041
I'm not even german, friend. But civilizations don't have a continuity like you imagine they do. That's what nations nowadays do to form a national identity and fool you into being a nationalist

>>43696089
I'm just stating the facts, not taking it too seriously.

About the germanics running naked, yes, and so are there accounts of greek people doing exactly the same, and I'll tell you why. If you're poor and have no armor, it's better to have no clothes, because a glancing strike could get a piece of cloth in your wound and cause an infection. Also intimidation, again, only if you got no money. Noblemen and actual soldiers did wear armor.

About the names, and so are there many names in other tongues that mean the same. Lots of spanish surnames for example mean the same "Lobo", "Guerrero", "Soldado". You'll even find people having surnames about professions! How shocking!

Everyone pillaged, raped and conquered.

Everyone was BTFO'd by Rome, they were extremely succesful.

They did, but when they conquered Rome it wasn't through pillage, rape and destruction. They were already a part of the roman armies, as external contractors. Rome had been hiring germans in their armies since the IV century, because being a soldier was no longer something desired among romans, and so they needed to find volunteers elsewhere.

Roman armies then got btfo'd, and they needed to hire entire tribes, under the command of their tribal leaders, giving the germans full power over the fate of Rome. Once they got fed up with taxes bullshit they just took over.

No, the greatest empire known to man is actually America.

>>43696107
Boudica was actually shit, stop with that meme woman
>>
>>43696282
>That's what nations nowadays do to form a national identity and fool you into being a nationalist
>fool you into being a nationalist
Fuck off you filthy subhuman.
>>
>>43696329
Why are you troubled, friend?
>>
>>43693953
Well, that was kinda my point. Being subjugated doesn't feel good in many cases, but the Romans were, relative to the other conquerors of their time, pretty civil to the people they took over. Slaves were taken, yes, and genocides likely happened, but many others would even have a chance at citizenship.

As opposed to some other assholes, who will probably just wipe you out and take your women without any other opportunity.

Point is, Rome is a terrible comparison to Rome. The Romans are probably more comparable to either martial elves or, well, humans, in a fantasy setting.

Also, what >>43693931
said.
>>
>>43696380
FUCKING GLOBALISTS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>43692279
I've always thought that elves seem to be charicatures of Asian features, but focusing on the positive traits: naturally straight hair, slenderer features, slanted eyes, curved, artistic weapons, artistic armor, veneration of spirits, etc. It makes sense that orcs, as corruptions of elves, would be charicatures embodying the negative equivalents of such traits.
>>
>>43696427
Rome usually got the support of a part of the local nobility. Imagine the case of the celts, the Aedui were supporters of Rome, and the Arverni were not (after Vercingetorix's uprising). But after their conquest, Rome usually appointed local leaders, and even adopted some of the local gods (namely Epona was one of the most worshiped gods in Roma after the inclusion of the gauls in the empire)
>>
>>43696507
Oh, a meme, how nice
>>
>>43696282
>No, the greatest empire known to man is actually America.

Hahahaha.

Why is it Romefags are ALWAYS American lardbeasts?
>>
>>43696618
Why did you assume he's a romefag?
>>
>>43696656
Because a good 40% of his post is jerking off the Roman Empire.

Let's be honest here, the Roman Empire started out almost hilariously by luck.
>>
>>43696562
Globalism is meme.
>>
>>43696282
>>About the germanics running naked, yes, and so are there accounts of greek people doing exactly the same, and I'll tell you why. If you're poor and have no armor, it's better to have no clothes, because a glancing strike could get a piece of cloth in your wound and cause an infection. Also intimidation, again, only if you got no money. Noblemen and actual soldiers did wear armor.

Doesn't sound very different from Orcish behavior, friend.

>>About the names, and so are there many names in other tongues that mean the same. Lots of spanish surnames for example mean the same "Lobo", "Guerrero", "Soldado". You'll even find people having surnames about professions! How shocking!

Of course. I'm pretty sure, however, that the guys at Blizzard were not influenced by Spanish surnames when giving their Orcs names like Grom, Orgrim, Fenris, and so on. It's a pretty safe assumption that we, as English speakers, are probably more influenced by ancient Germanic names (from which some of our own names are derived) rather than some Turkic name that means "wolf" or Spanish name that means "warrior."
>>
>>43696282

>>They did, but when they conquered Rome it wasn't through pillage, rape and destruction

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sack_of_Rome_(410)
>On August 24, 410, the Visigoths entered Rome through its Salarian Gate, according to some opened by treachery, according to others by want of food, and pillaged the city for three days.[77][78]

Many of the city's great buildings were ransacked, including the mausoleums of Augustus and Hadrian, in which many Roman Emperors of the past were buried; the ashes of the urns in both tombs were scattered.[79] Any and all moveable goods were stolen all over the city. Some of the few places the Goths spared were the two major basilicas connected to Peter and Paul, though from the Lateran Palace they stole a massive, 2,025 pound silver ciborium that had been a gift from Constantine.[76] Structural damage to buildings was largely limited to the areas near the old Senate house and the Salarian Gate, where the Gardens of Sallust were burned and never rebuilt.[80][81] The Basilica Aemilia and the Basilica Julia were also burned.[82][83]

The city's citizens were devastated. Many Romans were taken captive, including the Emperor's sister, Galla Placidia. Some citizens would be ransomed, others would be sold into slavery, and still others would be raped and killed.[84] Refugees from Rome fleeing the Goths flooded the province of Africa.[85] Jerome wrote that Heraclian, the Count of Africa, sold some of the young refugees into Eastern brothels.[86]

Many Romans were tortured into revealing the locations of their valuables. One was the 85-year-old[87] Saint Marcella, who had no hidden gold as she lived in pious poverty. She was a close friend of Jerome, and he detailed the incident in a letter to a woman named Principia who had been with Marcella during the sack.
>>
They are Asians op
>>
File: CL_Orcs_heads_in_gasmask_1.jpg (144 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
CL_Orcs_heads_in_gasmask_1.jpg
144 KB, 800x600
>>43690230
>>
>>43696777
That's not the whole process though
>>
>>43690230
Well, Elves are basically Aryan Master Race...
And Orcs were created in Mockery of Elves...

Signs point to yes.
>>
>>43696282
I'll stop with my meme woman when you stop with your meme empire Aebringa.
>>
File: m'zurga.jpg (150 KB, 597x956) Image search: [Google]
m'zurga.jpg
150 KB, 597x956
>>43690230

"We must preserve the purity of our race, anon."
>>
>>43698313
I actually think that the romans weren't these larger-than-life better-than-everyone dudes who just steamrolled everyone because they were better. Most of their success comes from a little bit of luck and the ability to maintain a HUGE population.

Ancient germans and celt are pretty cool, I was just stating that Boudica was just shit. If you want to look at cool celtic leaders go read about Vercingetorix, Brennus (the one who sacked Rome and the one who invaded ancient Greece and Macedon), or, I don't know, anyone who's not her.
>>
File: 1424549334298.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1489) Image search: [Google]
1424549334298.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1489
>>43690230
They're not, but depending on the setting they can resemble a flawed foreign perception of Germans; even this perception varies somewhat, both historically and culturally.
The closest version is probably what >>43690577 touches on, but anything after Charlemagne's time would resemble 'generic fantasy human civilisation' far too closely to be considered the basis for Orcs.
Weak bait though, OP. If this is the best you have, I'm genuinely concerned. Are you well? Do you have brain damage?
TL;DR yes but only if you're talking pre medieval shit
>>
>>43699371
'Germanic' in this context usually refers to the pre-christian Germanic peoples.
Otherwise you'd just say German or maybe the Holy Roman Empire.
>>
>>43695383
Several actually, some of the best.
>>
>>43692267
Yes. "Mumakill" is actually an arab word for "elephant".

Umbar and Haradrim could be likened to medieval North Africa, with barbary pirates and moors plus ethiopian elephants.

I think Rhûn is somewhat asian nomads.

But he mixed it up. "Variag" is an alternate name for varanguians from the Varanguian Guard, and they never used chariots like in Middle-Earth.
>>
>>43696529
Not that I agree, but this is an interesting point of view.

Could you elaborate, please?
>>
>>
File: 1430432952421.jpg (176 KB, 512x394) Image search: [Google]
1430432952421.jpg
176 KB, 512x394
>>43694021
>The crusaders were trying to free their christian brothers and sisters from jihad
>The motivation of the crusaders was to free Christians
>>
>>43690230
Depends on the setting
>>
>>43703730
You do know why the crusades occurred right? Lets hope you are not hilariously uneducated about the causes like most people these days.
>>
>>43690980
Thank you for posting this fiercely ebin video my friend.
>>
>>43694904
>repelled
kek.
>>
>>43691551
Gazkull in a nutshell
>>
>>43696672
Not him, but they started by going to war with the Sabines after raping their women.

There was no luck, but an insane amount of hardship overcome by sheer Romanness.
>>
File: Rhodok master race.png (28 KB, 1910x930) Image search: [Google]
Rhodok master race.png
28 KB, 1910x930
>>43693812
Let him come, see if he can come within earshot.
>>
>>43690230
>>
>>43695383
Erm yes. You do realize the problem with afrocentricists is assuming everyone from Africa was black, not assuming that important people came from Africa. Some of the african emperors were more phoenician and berber (numinidian, african proper, etc) than latin.
>>
>>43690230
Most definetly not!
Tu brute, stupid and Ugly for the noble Germanic Race!
>>
File: laughing hitlers.jpg (25 KB, 608x402) Image search: [Google]
laughing hitlers.jpg
25 KB, 608x402
>>43692048
>the holocaust lives on as both the single most despicable act ever committed in history
>as well as Germany's only deed worthy of note
>>
>>43706724
desu if you look at the Germanic tribes and the early kingdoms they are pretty much orcs, but from the 5th century on this rather rapidly changed.
>>
File: 64363669[1].jpg (230 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
64363669[1].jpg
230 KB, 500x627
>>43709230
>but from the 5th century on this rather rapidly changed
Literally only because of the Franks. France is what happens when Germans try to be Romans.
>>
>>43692048
I always liked how everyone treats Blitzkrieg as some sort of genius tactic when it's literally "just conquer shit fast using zerg rush and hope for the best".
>>
File: laughing3--a[1].jpg (42 KB, 580x431) Image search: [Google]
laughing3--a[1].jpg
42 KB, 580x431
>>43709492
And it only worked because the French made the single biggest mistake in their long history as a military power: assuming the Germans could be reasoned with.
>>
File: White_Dwarf_098_Page_15.jpg (321 KB, 1161x1742) Image search: [Google]
White_Dwarf_098_Page_15.jpg
321 KB, 1161x1742
>>43690230
You tell me.
>>
>>43690230
No, Orcs are French.

That's not meant to be political/social commentary, I just really like imagining Orcs acting like Orcs with painfully thick French accents.

Actually though, La Marseillaise is a pretty orcish national anthem if you know what the lyrics mean. Someone find more orc/French parallels, I'm too tired to think of any.
>>
>>43709580
>implying
The french were getting ready for war over Munich, it's the english and the poles who blocked fucking everything.
>>
>>43709823
>Someone find more orc/French parallels, I'm too tired to think of any.

Comte de Melac: How do you want your German territories, famme?
Louis XIV: JUST FUCK THEIR SHIT UP
>>
>>43703863
>implying the crusaders didn't see middle eastern christians as heretics worthy of being cut down even more than the muzzies
>>
>>43709823
The French Revolution was a pretty orcish affair. Bascially one big pointless slaughter-a-thon.
>>
>>43709969
>Bascially one big pointless slaughter-a-thon.
And then there's this monarchist
>>
>>43709467
Yeah and Eastern Francia became the HRE, which became Germany, so what is the big deal.
>>
>>43690577
>freakishly strong warrior race
its always funny when idiots like you gob that kind of propaganda
>>
>>43709969
And yet again it was germanics fucking shit up.
>>
>>43690230
40k orks used to wear picklehaube-like helmets
>>
>>43691551
OTTUK VORG BITEMARK
>>
>>43694881
Ok I keep seeing this new epic meem where people sign shit with "t." and then a name. Where did this come from and what exactly does it mean?
I'm guessing its some new normie meme like baka desu senpai (which got wordfiltered)
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.