[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D - /5eg/ 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 6izg9aP.jpg (182 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
6izg9aP.jpg
182 KB, 1600x1200
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Old thread >>43643664

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

Polite reminder to READ THE DAMN BOOKS.

How is your setting special?
>>
>>43677160
It has moogles.
>>
To that anon asking about Tieflings with wings in the last thread - it's a new option in the SCAG.
>>
So my party and I are at castle skyreach in the final episode of hotdq.

We managed to diplomacy our way out of the blogothkus encounter. We aren't going near the vampire (unless there is treasure up there?).

Rezmir almost killed us all. The mask teleported away. I got the sword. We are taking a long rest in her room.

Azbara Jos and Rath Modar are going to be in the red wizard tower, we won't have to fight the stone giants (i don't think), and I'm scared of Glazhael.

How can we avoid dying?
>>
>>43677160
All dragons talk with an Australian accent.
>>
>>43677160
Silvered weapons actually matter.
>>
If a Variant Human is reincarnated, do they lose their feat?
>>
File: LordofBlades.jpg (248 KB, 598x547) Image search: [Google]
LordofBlades.jpg
248 KB, 598x547
How do you fix Warforged in an edition that doesn't allow negative racial traits nor level adjustment?
>>
>>43677756
>doesn't allow negative racial traits

That's not true, drow get sunlight sensitivity.
>>
>>43677812
Sorry, meant negative racial Ability Modifiers.
>>
>>43677756
You use Keith Baker's "homebrew" which can be found on his blog. Him being the creator of the Eberron setting.
>>
>>43677756
> using UA content
> urrr how i fixx??
>>
>>43674327
SCAG
>>
File: 1388115439078.png (225 KB, 366x648) Image search: [Google]
1388115439078.png
225 KB, 366x648
Never got a satisfying answer to >>43663234
There were some responses, but I wasn't convinced. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am. Otherwise, these are the rules I'm passing on to my players:

Monks are proficient with shortswords and all simple weapons. Period. However, they also have the Martial Arts feature that allows them to also do a few things. These things can only be done with shortswords and simple melee weapons that aren't heavy or two handed, and versatile weapons only when used one handed.

These abilities are:
-Use STR or DEX for attack and damage as if they had finesse.
-Substitute your Martial Arts damage for the given damage.
-Make an extra unarmed strike as part of your attack.

This means monks can use their proficiency bonus on shortbows, shuriken, and greatclubs, but they can't use any of the above abilities. Quarterstaves can use these abilities, but only when used one handed. If you want to do 1d8 with a quarterstaff, you can't use your Dex, you can't substitute damage, and you can't make an extra attack.

Some people had issues with what I said about the quarterstaff, but no one said anything about any other part.
>>
>>43677756
Depends. What do you think is wrong with Warforged. And why?
Because by answering that you'd get most of the way to fixing it.
>>
>>43677881
It's still pretty awful though
>>
>>43677733
I like you.

On that note, a quick survey of opinions:
1. who would want 5e Ravenloft?
2. who would want 5e Masque of the Red Death?
>>
>>43677756
UA Eberron in general must be fixed, Shifters are shit, Warforgeds are shit, Changelings are uberbroken because their main feature is worded so awful it attracts munchkins like honey attracts bears.
>>
>>43677160
>How is your setting special?
I have absolute control over my players
>>
>>43677734
I would say yes, unless they get reincarnated as a human.

>>43677969
Monk abilities apply to versatile simple weapons even when used two-handed: a one-handed weapon being used in both hands is not the same as it being a two-handed weapon. Only weapons that actually have the two-handed property are two-handed weapons.

If you want to change that for your game, that's fine, it's your game. I just wanted to clarify the actual rule for you.
>>
>>43677969
>and versatile weapons only when used one handed.
Stop pulling shit out of your ass, it's bad for your rectum.

The fucking PHB uses the versatile quarterstaff (1d8 instead of 1d6), so you're wrong.
>>
File: 1441704099423.jpg (266 KB, 700x1200) Image search: [Google]
1441704099423.jpg
266 KB, 700x1200
>>43678151
Ok.

I've seen a few places online that say that monks are simply not proficient with ANY two-handed, heavy, or ranged weapons. I think this is just poor wording in the Martial Arts feature and monks are supposed to still be proficient, just can't use Martial Arts with those weapons.
>>
>>43678052
>absolute control over my players
Some kind of hypnotism? Brainwashing? Blackmail?
>>
>>43677969
>-Substitute your Martial Arts damage for the given damage.
Unless the other damage is higher, but that goes without saying.

>-Make an extra unarmed strike as part of your attack.
Pretty sure you have the right idea, but I'm going to clarify just to be certain:
Not as part of the attack per se, but by using your Bonus Action and making another attack (but not another Attack Action; yeah, the terminology can get muddled like this a bit).
And, like other additional attacks, you can move between your triggering attack, your Bonus Action martial arts attack, and if you have the feature your Extra Attack.
You can also order them however you like--technically you can make the Martial Arts attack before the attack that will allow to use it, as long as you do use it on your turn. The order of operations on that (and two-weapon fighting, shield bash, and other Bonus Action attacks/abilities) isn't important, as long as it's kosher when everything's accounted for.

>but only when used one handed
You can use the feature when using quarterstaves both one- or two-handed. The [Versatile] property is not the same as the [Two-handed] property, and the feature specifically says "two-handed or heavy property".
>>
>>43677733
God, this.

First thing I did was houserule a silver/cold iron list from the MM and make that stuff actually matter.
>>
>>43678218
Not pulling shit out of my ass. It does reference quarterstaff, but not whether it's used one or two handed.

>When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarter-staff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn.
>>
>>43678238
>Poor wording
No, it's poor reading comprehension from you

They can use martial arts with "unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property"
Is versatile porperty among those restrictions? no, seems like it isn't, therefore versatile spear and versatile quarterstaff are valid choices for martial arts.
>>
File: spiderman-facepalm[1].jpg (29 KB, 650x395) Image search: [Google]
spiderman-facepalm[1].jpg
29 KB, 650x395
>>43677969
>This means monks can use their proficiency bonus on shortbows, shuriken, and greatclubs, but they can't use any of the above abilities. Quarterstaves can use these abilities, but only when used one handed. If you want to do 1d8 with a quarterstaff, you can't use your Dex, you can't substitute damage, and you can't make an extra attack.
Stop this. You tried to start this argument last thread and everyone called you retarded. If you dont want monks to use a QS than houserule that.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/08/28/monk-with-two-hands-quarterstaff-and-unarmed-strike/
>>
>Eternal Mountain Defense is a 17th level feature
>At 18th level you gain Empty Body which the same, but way better
Who the fuck did thsi?
>>
>>43678400
Same jackass that ruined water whip
>>
>>43677969
Don't forget that monks can't move when they FoB.

We need to nerf monks as much as possible, they're the best martial damage dealers, if you don't count fighters, paladins, rangers, barbarians, rogues and any caster with GFB or BB.
>>
>>43678400
Jeremy Nofun Crawford
>>
File: 1389935936448.jpg (99 KB, 709x1000) Image search: [Google]
1389935936448.jpg
99 KB, 709x1000
>>43678359
>>43678358
>>43678282
Ok. Quarterstaves are versatile. Fine.

Different question that no one has mentioned. Everyone latches on to quarterstaff and ignores the rest.
I have seen several arguments that "unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property" means that "monk weapons are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property". I disagree. Am I wrong?
>>
>>43678484
>I have seen several arguments that "unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property" means that "monk weapons are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property". I disagree.

You disagree with what, a literal copy-paste of the rules?
>>
>>43677969
Two-handed is a specific weapon property. You can find it under the Equipment section:
>Two-Handed. This weapon requires two hands to use.
That is, Two-handed is a keyword specifying that a weapon (of appropriate size to the character) can ONLY be used with two hands. A polearm is two-handed. A zweihander is two-handed.

Any weapon that can be used with only hand, even if it could ALSO be used with two is, by definition, not a Two-handed weapon.

A baseball bat is not a two-handed weapon, even if it can be used in two hands, because you can still smash someone's head in with one hand. (As such, it would be a Versatile weapon.)

Evidently from the above, there is a difference between using a weapon two-handed, and using a weapon with the two-handed property. As the Martial Arts entry specifies the latter, weapons that do not have the two-handed property, but are wielded in two hands (and meet all the other requirements I'm not going into here), would still qualify for Martial Arts.

>tl;dr Two-handed is a weapon property, inherent to the weapon itself and not the way you are wielding it at the time.
>>
>>43678282
And thank you, this is helpful.
>>
>>43678484
Monk weapons are indeed shortswords and any simple melee weapon that doesn't have the two-handed or heavy property.
>>
>>43678020
>2. who would want 5e Masque of the Red Death?
YES

The only problem really is that it requires its own classes to get the proper toning down. MOTRD classes were basically NPC-tier remakes ot PC classes in 2e.
>>
>>43678484
Is this a joke or are you genuinely mentally handicapped?
>>
>>43678484
What is the basis of your disagreement? Talk us through it.

Otherwise we won't be able to help you other than simply saying 'NO YOUR WRONG RTFM FAGET'.

But yeah, monk weapons are literally shortswords and any simple melee weapon that [doesn't] have the two-handed or heavy property.
>>
>>43678020
I love me some Ravenloft, but I prefer it as a site of adventure rather than as a world/campaign setting.
>>
>>43678484
>>43678238
>>43677969
Ok, I'm going to assume that English is not your first language, or second, or even third.
>>
>>43677863
They don't need negative ability modifiers, so what's your hangup? Basically this>>43677981

>>43677969
You got an answer last thread. Monk early game damage doesn't need to be nerfed, and staff and spear are perfectly acceptable primary monk weapons. Using a shortsword lets them sneak attack if they multi with rogue, and grapple if they expertise athletics. Martial arts is not finesse, martial arts damage is an option, not necessary (they don't deal 1d4 damage with shortswords at level 1), and the extra unarmed attack takes a bonus action.

>>43678400
Previously, on Way of the Four Elements.
>Learn Eternal Mountain Defense at level 11.
>Can't spend 5 Ki to cast a spell until level 13.
Anyway, it lasts up to an hour instead of up to a minute, so I guess someone thought that made it an alternative. I'm not buying it (and wouldn't when it's sitting next to Wall of Stone and Fire)

>>43678484
You are wrong. Those are monk weapons. I think you're confused because you think the monk's weapon proficiency is "monk weapons" and it's actually simple weapons and shortswords.
>>
>>43678621
>it lasts up to an hour instead of up to a minute
Eternal Mountain Defense is a concentration spell though, so I fucking doubt it lasts more than two hits
>>
>>43678640
You get Con save proficiency at 14, and can spend Ki to reroll a failed save, so it's really unlikely that you'll drop concentration unless you want to, or get hit by a Con save dragon's breath (Since you also have Evasion.) No, spending more Ki to keep it up does not sound like a good idea, but there it is.
>>
>>43678678
Evasion is only for dex saves
>>
>>43678539
>>43678560
>>43678596

It says a monk's proficiencies are Shortswords and Simple Weapons on pg 77 PHB. That's all it says.

Then under Martial Arts, the next page, it says:

At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.

It seems strange that they didn't mention ranged, heavy, or two-handed weapons on the previous page. I'm saying that they mean that only these weapons can be used with this feature. However, the monk is still proficient with shortbows (two-handed and ranged) and darts/shuriken (ranged). They just can't use the Martial Arts abilities. Everyone just says "no, you're retarded."
>>
>>43678400
>Going wot4e
>Ever
Obvious trap option is obvious
>>
>>43678573
I think you could manage with a handful of house rules. Maybe players can only take every other level in a spellcasting class until they hit level 5 or so?
>>
>>43678721
Hell darts are a part of the starting equipment.
>>
>>43678721
>It seems strange that they didn't mention ranged, heavy, or two-handed weapons on the previous page.
Simple weapons include the Simple Ranged Weapons category and the Great-Club, which is both Two-Handed and Heavy.
While the monk is proficient and can freely use things like the Light Crossbow, Shortbow, and Greatclub, they do not allow follow-up Martial Arts-allowed bonus attacks.

However once a monk gets its Extra Attack feature at level 5, you could make an attack with one of those and then follow up with an attack with an allowed weapon, which would then enable you to make the bonus action attack.
>>
>>43678721
>Everyone just says "no, you're retarded."
That's because you write like a retard, and say that you don't think monk weapons are monk weapons.
>"unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property" means that "monk weapons are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two-handed or heavy property". I disagree.
>>
>>43678721
Again, is English your first language?
>>
>>43678721
>>43678721
>It says a monk's proficiencies are Shortswords and Simple Weapons on pg 77 PHB
Correct.

>At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
Also correct.

>I'm saying that they mean that only these weapons can be used with this feature.
Correct.

>It seems strange that they didn't mention ranged, heavy, or two-handed weapons on the previous page.
Simple ranged weapons are also simple weapons, and monks are proficient in them.

>However, the monk is still proficient with shortbows (two-handed and ranged) and darts/shuriken (ranged). They just can't use the Martial Arts abilities.
This is the intention. They can't, for instance, shoot a shortbow and then Flurry after.

You literally have everything correct here.

But, to go over it again, monks are proficient with some weapons which do not fall under the category of 'monk weapons' which basically means 'weapons that monks can use their Martial Arts feature with'. Monks are proficient in all monk weapons, but not all weapons the monk is proficient with are monk weapons.

I'm not sure what the issue is here.
>>
>>43678721
Yes, what the rules say is what they say.

A "monk weapon" isn't "whatever weapons a monk is proficient with," it's "simple melee weapons without the two-handed or heavy properties, and shortswords."

Like has been said a million times.
>>
File: Zuggtmoy_Wedding.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1160) Image search: [Google]
Zuggtmoy_Wedding.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1160
Here's a wallpaper for just for you guys.
>>
File: Shooting a bow.jpg (251 KB, 700x2380) Image search: [Google]
Shooting a bow.jpg
251 KB, 700x2380
>>43678807
>shoot a shortbow
Fuck me, I need to proof my posts more.

Or go the fuck to sleep, I guess.
>>
>>43678807
>>43678808
>>43678784
Ok. Thank you. Apparently I need to word my questions better. Sorry. I have seen several places online where "monk weapons" and "weapons monks are proficient with" have been used interchangeably. This answers all of my questions. Fucking off now.
>>
>>43678728
I would probably increase the place of ritual magic, make more spells ritual and make ritual casters only able to cast them, since halfcasters aren't really a thing.

Alternately, I guess you could try to make a Halfcaster ritualist that would be based on a mix of Rogue and their respective casters.

Honestly it's not like Mystic and Adept were that nerfed in 2e, it's just that they were mostly useless as combat casters.
>>
>>43678721
Monk is proficient in "monk weapons" and greatclubs, light crossbows, slings, darts and shortbows

This is similar to Monk is proficient in simple weapons and shortswords

You can use Martial Arts with shortswords

You can't use Martial Arts with darts
>>
>>43678924
>inb4 Martial Darts puns.
>Had to solve 3 captchas for this shitty post.
>>
>>43678901
>Honestly it's not like Mystic and Adept were that nerfed in 2e, it's just that they were mostly useless as combat casters.

You could nearly do that just with restricting or nerfing the spells you give PCs.

Oh, and Warlocks, almost every caster is a Warlock.
>>
Hello
>>
>>43678986
I guess if you gave eery caster warlock casting maybe. IDK, on the other hand I suspect the power level of base 5e compares more or less to the power level of MotRD so long as you ban spells (and neither Ravenloft nor MotRD were afraid to ban half the PHB)
>>
>>43678924
Honestly, this doesn't really make sense to me. Why can a monk Flurry after chucking a dagger at someone, but not a dart?

Not to mention that hardly all conceivable monk weapons can be stated with one-handed simple melee and shortsword.

Would it be balanced to make it monk weapons 'all melee weapons and thrown weapons the monk is proficient in that do not have the two-handed or heavy property'?
>>
>>43679108
Monk can Flurry with whatever weapon he wants, he can't martial arts with whatever weapon he wants though, only monk weapons and unarmed strikes.
>>
>>43679026
>every caster warlock casting
>level 6 necromancer camps in a graveyard for 24 hours and strolls out with 600 skeletons
jesuschristhowhorrifying.jpg
>>
>>43679165
How are you getting that math?

Because there is literally no way to get anywhere near there.
>>
>>43679140
My bad. He can Flurry, but can't use the Martial Arts bonus action attack. He also can't substitute his damage dice.

Point still stands - why a dagger but not a dart? Surely a dart would be MORE dexterous a weapon and therefore MORE eligible?
>>
>>43679209
Why Paladins can move however they want their shield hand (while wielding a shield) to meet the somatic requirements, but a dude can't reload a hand xbow with his shield hand (while wielding a shield)? Because magic.
>>
>>43679209
melee only. darts are ranged.
>>
>>43679299
Because the shield is a magical focus. It's not a crank.
>>
My group and I are starting a new campaign and we are thinking about rotating the GM, has anyone here done it? how did it go? do you have any suggestions on how to do it?
>>
>>43679206
Because I am smart and for some reason ran the numbers for an 11th level necromancer. He should only have a maximum of 115 skeletons in tow at 6th level.
>>
>>43679299
I'd like to think that Martial Arts, available before a monk even unlocks ki, don't require magic to perform.

>>43679319
Looking for a fluff reason here, I know perfectly well the mechanics for it I said, right after misquoting the mechanics.
>>
>>43679331
That sounds awful.
>>
>>43679026
I wasn't suggesting making everyone work like warlocks, I'd just realised how well warlocks fit the setting. And the less blatantly magical sorts of monk.

But yeah, ban or restrict a bunch of spells and magic weapons (to make finding monster weaknesses important), make some of the more common spells less flashy (so you can reasonably have a setting where the occult is actually occult) and invent some appropriate Cleric archetypes (you can probably leave Wizards as they are, given the spell stuff).
>>
>>43679322
What if the somatic component of a spell is imitating the movement of reloading a crossbow? A paladin can do it with a shield, because magic.
>>
>>43679389
When there's something you can't explain and doens't make sense, magic.
>>
>>43679419
What exactly is your argument here? That magic is incomprehensible?
>>
>>43679419
The only somatic component a paladin can do with their shield is the kind that requires holding your holy symbol in your hand and waving it around.
>>
>>43679467
All daggers in 5e are actually magical. Got it.

Will no one comment constructively on the proposed houserule?
>>
>>43679513
In my world the somatic components imply the most convoluted hip hop moves ever, this makes xbow xperts extra salty, in fact, some somatic components require to reload a handcrossbow, but not to fire it though, they can still attack with their swords and parry with their shield.
>>
>>43679540
Foci aren't magic items. Neither are your material components.
>>
>>43679540
Daggers aren't magic, is just that the universe uses its magic to not allow you to use darts with martial arts

Similar on how you can wave your hand with a shield to cast a spell, but not with a dagger
>>
>>43679625
I

What?

How does this relate to the counterargument of "Magic" (to the question of "Why can I Martial Arts with a thrown dagger but not a dart?") leading to the logical conclusion of "Daggers are inherently magical" (or otherwise "The arbitrarily-defined group of people in-universe which are mechanically 'monks' are inherently cursed to be shit with darts for some reason")?
>>
What do you guys think of the mage slayer feat? I feel like if I'm ever next to a mage, they are just going to teleport away anyway
>>
>>43679736
Mages generally don't have unlimited teleports.

However, it is an extremely narrow feat that you are unlikely to get much mileage out of.
>>
>>43679721
It's the later
>>
>>43679702
This is quite possibly the worst fluff justification of mechanics I have seen in recent memory. Literally:
>The universe is shitting in you. Deal with it.
>>
>>43679758
While they don't have unlimited, I doubt they will get through all their slots in one combat
>>
>>43679342
According to this: http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/38530929/#q38534025, you should get up to 168 skeletons, though that's using slightly different mechanics.
>>
>>43679784
You can't the person who made the rules arbitrarily said you can't, better?
>>
>>43679808
Fuck me, I cannot math right now.

For a necromancer with warlock spells, its 2 per spell*2 per short rest*23 rests for a total of 92 over a 24 hour period. The maximum he can drag around is 5*2*23 which is 230.

This is because necromancers get to add 1 to both number raised and number maintained when casting Animate Dead.
>>
>>43679903
You forgot Arcane Recovery.
>>
File: Some_day....jpg (618 KB, 1324x1654) Image search: [Google]
Some_day....jpg
618 KB, 1324x1654
>>43678020
I have a question.
1.) Who would want 5e Spelljammer?
>>
>>43680032
Would be cool.

WotC is probably gonna do the more popular settings (Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc) before moving on to stuff like that, though.
>>
>>43680101
Well than here is hoping Greyhawk is next on the list of settings to get an adventurer's guide.
>>
Reposting from last thread with an attention grabbing image since the last one got no replies
Is the Oath of the Crown's Champion Challenge Channel Divinity a free action? It doesn't specify what it is, and it sounds like it could be considered a verbal thing.
>>
>>43677969
Versatile isn't Two Handed, simpleton.
>>
>Playing Neutral Good sorcerer whose daughter was kidnapped
>Hates criminals with a passion to the point where the Paladin in our party offered me the chance to take an oath
>Just want to find my daughter
>The closer I get the more far away she seems
>>
>>43680677
That was so gay it almost killed the thread.
>>
>>43680332
Definitely a mistake not specifying, hopefully will be errata'd / sage'd.
>>
so is there literally any reason to take a greataxe over a greatsword?
>>
File: Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43679331
Yes, but we do the rotation is every six months to a year. No experience with anything shorter.

Do the worldbuilding as a group. The absolute most fun way is playing Dawn of Worlds (attached) for one or two sessions at the beginning.
>>
>>43678838
That image made me crack up in laughter.
>>
File: rlslegacy_treasureplanet.jpg (37 KB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
rlslegacy_treasureplanet.jpg
37 KB, 400x217
>>43680032
hell fucking yes
>>
File: Thri-kreen_archer.jpg (271 KB, 823x831) Image search: [Google]
Thri-kreen_archer.jpg
271 KB, 823x831
I am convinced Dark Sun is the next campaign setting because it is inexplicably at the very top of the PotA "adaptation" section.
>>
>>43681570
flavor?

The difference is not actually that huge but the 100% optimal melee weapons are definitely Rapier/Greatsword/Glaive (with Scimitar and Quarterstaff I guess for the odd styles)
>>
>>43681700
why rapier and glaive?

also, I'm curious how porting over the 3.5 effect of the great axe, an extra crit die, would effect overall balance. what are you guys' thoughts?
>>
>>43677160
Well, the world's ending in 15 years, there are rabbitfolk halflings, orcs have their own non-aggressive nation, an assassination plot is going down in the largest city in the world, there's a chemical that can completely change your physical build at the cost of crippling pain and weakness for several days, and there's a bunch of people who think they saw the future but didn't and now nobody can see the future at all except for the servants of a dark goddess.
>>
>>43681717
>I'm curious how porting over the 3.5 effect of the great axe, an extra crit die, would effect overall balance. what are you guys' thoughts?
Well, since you have a 5% chance to crit on a given attack roll, and the average damage of a 1d12 is 6.5, it ups the average damage by 6.5 * 0.05 = 0.325

So average damages:
Greatsword: 7 + (7 * .05) = 7.35
Greataxe: 6.5 + (6.5 * .05) = 6.825
Greataxe with extra crit: 6.5 + (2 * 6.5 * 0.05) = 7.15

So I mean, sure? It just makes it an even better choice for Champions and Barbarians, who have abilities that affect crits.
>>
>>43681717
That's a whole race and/or class feature now, which I think the best use case for a Greataxe.

Don't change it, for the Half-Orcs Barbarians
>>
>>43681570
If you're a level 9+ Barbarian or a half-orc, I believe that changes the (very very tiny) advantage from the greatsword to the greataxe because of the bonus crit damage.

In the end, the damage increase of the greatsword over the greataxe (or vice versa if you have the right class/race) is so incredibly small as to be essentially insignificant. If you really can't do without squeezing out that additional 0.025 average DPR, take the greatsword. Otherwise, just take what you think is cooler.
>>
>>43681570
Other than fluff, 2d6 vs 1d12 has 2d6 averaging better, but also being most likely midrange on any given roll, where 1d12 has equal odds of 1 through 12.

Rolling min or max on 2d6 only has a 1/36 chance of occurring, vs 1/12 for 1d12.
>>
>>43681717
Rapier is the top Finesse weapon
Glaive/Halberd is the top for the Polearm mastery stuff
>>
>>43681935
2d6 gets a hell of a lot better if you have Great Weapon Fighting.
>>
>>43680332
Channel Divinity is an Action.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440287240951.jpg (32 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440287240951.jpg
32 KB, 500x400
>>43678818
Lovely.
>>
>>43682013
Not true, it never says any such thing in the player's handbook, and the Death Cleric's Touch of Death Channel Divinity is meant to be used in conjunction with a melee attack.
>>
>>43680677
Sounds interesting. Not too original but neither is my sorcerer backstory.

>half elf sorcerer lives a normal life up into his mid twenties.
>Is married, owns and runs a tavern. Loves meeting adventures but never planned on being one.
>New mayor is elected. He's a complete tyrant and taxes shoot through the roof.
>crime rates in the town triple. New mayor corrupts guards to do dirty work for him.
>stress of poverty and crimes causes the bartender`s Innate magical powers to awaken.
>decided to hide them in fear of his wife leaving him.
>he is forced to use them in self defense one day. Kills a corrupt guard by burning him to death.
>wife leaves to stay with her family after finding out what she did.
>guards and mayor bust into his bar to arrest him a few days later.
>sets the whole bar on fire with Molotov cocktails and fire magic to kill the tyrant and his guards.
>Is now a fugitive and a folk hero for his sacrifice.
>adventures to help others who are oppressed and in need as an agent of the Harper organization.
>>
Any creative advice for low level magic items to introduce in my campaign?
>>
I fucked up /tg/. I postponed last week's session to this week because we had a work conflict and I didn't get anything ready.

All I have left is my notes of stuff the party didn't get to last session.

I'm probably gonna have to leave work early to squeeze in some extra time to get shit done and then come back after the session.

I talked about it with you guys, I'm adding a few empty chambers and graves to the dungeon for the other hags. Probably should put some cryptic clues about the possible location of the still living hags.

I will need to expand the dungeon a bunch, unless of course, they decide to leave. But I bet they won't.
>>
File: 1447524490554.png (246 KB, 1194x2176) Image search: [Google]
1447524490554.png
246 KB, 1194x2176
Rolled 83 (1d100)

>>43682351
The dungeon contains...
>>
>>43682311
Just don't make them do anything for combat effectiveness.

Replicating a ritual is a good bet.
>>
>>43682311
Depends on your party and whether or not you plan to make your own items or just want something interesting from the DMG. The two low rarity magic items I gave my party was a magic greataxe that gave advantage on death saving throws and an alchemy jug.
>>
File: 1329836066794.jpg (299 KB, 792x1224) Image search: [Google]
1329836066794.jpg
299 KB, 792x1224
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dd-now-available-virtual-reality

>DnD now in virtual reality with oculus rift!
>virtual room
>virtual table
>virtual models on virtual graph paper
>virtual dice
>virtual friends standing around staring at popup chat windows

ARE
YOU
JOKING
>>
>>43682502
>>43682523
Can I give them a powerful temporary magic item for the sake of bringing down a poweful foe?
>>
>>43682640
https://youtu.be/aLGa7G9lZ6U

why does wizards do this shit?
>>
>>43682690
Why does Wizards do anything, anon?
Because they can, and because someone will buy it.
>>
>>43680677
Was that a reference to Loss?
>>
>>43682679
Sounds good to me. The best option in that case would be a scroll of a high level spell or a scroll / artifact with a very unique and temporary power that weakens the powerful foe drastically.
>>
>>43682690
I can dig it. I pref in person but up until this past July I had only a small group of friends to play with and our campaigns never lasted longer that two months because of a that guy in our group. We're only now coming to an unanimous agreement to cut him loose.
>>
>>43682819
>>43682679
Yes, make sure it's obviously temporary like a scroll or potion because players get butthurt when you take away their shiny things
>>
>>43677160
Mountain dwarves are commies, hill dwarves are pirates, gnomes are present day gypsies.

Wizard's magic is considered cheating the laws of nature, while warlock's, sorcerer's, divine magic aren't, because "you are worthy" of it - be it by a pact, bloodline, or dedication to a deity.

Most wizards are elves, and they are always treated with fear and hate, because elves have been fucking dicks for the last thousands of years.
>>
File: 1419606325820.jpg (260 KB, 554x930) Image search: [Google]
1419606325820.jpg
260 KB, 554x930
What is up with surprise?

How can a rogue roll a lower initiative then the target and yet the target cannot move at all or do anything on it's turn. The target is then no longer surprised even though it cannot move, it someone knows it's throat is being slit, so that makes a difference.
>>
>>43683182
Surprise as a mechanic is somewhat based on the fact that it used to be initiative was rolled every round of combat. So if a character was surprised, they didn't roll initiative that round.
The fact they do roll when surprised now is just an example of mechanics not matching up with fluff, but you just need to recognize it as that.

It may help to remember that an entire round of combat is implied to be everyone acting frantically and hectically at the same time as one another, and spacing out actions and taking turns is just to facilitate figuring out what people do.
That may also make your issue worse considering how bad most D&D editions are at illustrating that fact.
>>
>>43683182
The Rouge "Goes first" because they are the ones instigating the combat. Rounds and turns are just granular measurements of time that is going on constantly- this is not JRPG style "everyone lines up neatly and politely takes turns. "
The target isn't paralyzed, they are doing whatever it is they were doing before the rouge attacked. The knife sliding across their throat is the first indication they have that an enemy is present. Rolling initiative is merely a contest of the target recovering and striking back versus the rouge getting an extra hit in.
>>
File: oh god cat.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
oh god cat.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
>>43683182
A round is 6 seconds.

A creature that is surprised is caught unawares completely and cannot/does not act in the first 6 seconds of that combat.
>>
File: aragorn.jpg (22 KB, 360x264) Image search: [Google]
aragorn.jpg
22 KB, 360x264
So what's the deal with rangers?

I haven't played 5ed yet, but I heard they're not as good. Can someone set the record straight.
>>
>>43683695
Hunter is okay, the base class' abilities are entirely situational, and they shine mainly in a spell list that could just as well be class abilities.
>>
>>43681691
Forgotten Realms is the only 5e setting.

They are not going to change the business model that is selling D&D better than decades previous.
>>
>>43681691
FR is confirmed for the next campaign (the one based on Giants and Shakespeare).
>>
>>43683715
Except they already said they were doing at least Ravenloft and Darksun among others, and have conversion guides for Greyhawk, Eberron, and Dragonlance in the core modules.
>>
>>43683695
WotC decided that Two-Weapon fighting should be universally shit and that ranged weapon viability should be stuck behind a spell that Bards can pick up 8 levels before Ranger.
>>
>>43683707
>>43683695

The fact they're spells is one of the biggest contributor to why Ranger ends up being so bad: Bards can steal the best part of Rangers by using Magical Secrets. Everything else that remains is just situational travel garbage.
>>
>>43683695
Okay, so you know how in AD&D Rangers had this weird side-niche like the paladin?
They weren't as good as a straight fighter, but they were fucking metal when given two weapons, and could get some druidic magics for good measure?

Well 5e wants to have protected niches for all classes again, but given that the fighter has to be the best in all weapon scenarios, the ranger just isn't very good in comparison.
His spells are limited, and the progression is so slow that the game-changing spells come too fucking late.
His nature abilities are mostly those that can be taken by anyone, and have little impact on the game mechanically, with almost all of the benefits of being a ranger solely dependent on fluff and DM's willingness to let shit slide for fluff reasons.

In short: It's weak mechanically, and relies on group communication and cooperation, which is not a guarantee outside of close-knit groups.
>>
>>43683805
It really doesn't help when a single background covers the only part of Ranger anyone really gives a shit about that's not just as easily dealt with the an archery focused Paladin or Bard.
>>
So does Undying Light Warlock make Light Cleric shit now, or what?
>>
>>43683695
Rangers have always been a shitty mud class. If you want to play a fighter, be a Fighter. If you want to be a skillmonkey, be a Lore Bard. If you want to be a hippie, be a Druid. Not that Bard and Druid aren't shitty mud-classes, too, but that's another discussion.
>>
>>43684072

Anon, Clerics are the best class in the game. Warlock ain't shit compared to them.
>>
>>43684126
I would contest and say clerics have a hard time dealing ranged damage but arcane cleric fixed that easily. Hill dwarf arcane cleric is the best caster in the game.
>>
>>43681468
Yer mom's gay lmao
>>
>>43678692

other anon-kun is saying you can use evasion to avoid taking damage or take significantly less damage, bypassing or lowering your required concentration save
>>
Rolled 13, 14, 12, 17, 8, 3 = 67 (6d20)

Rolling for a barbarian
>>
>How is your setting special?

MELLIFLUOUS is a place where music is magically empowered. Pic related are the basic alternate rules. I've also got a chart of gods and am writing an adventure. It's goin' pretty well.
>>
>>43684643
respect
>>
>>43684643
Say if a bard played the triangle, would he do a d4 damage?
>>
File: tumblr_mp85iuA8zn1roaz4co1_1280.jpg (396 KB, 516x798) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mp85iuA8zn1roaz4co1_1280.jpg
396 KB, 516x798
pretty sure at this point in my party's campaign, our DM is having us essentially work for a loli silver dragon, so we have that working for us.

when its not that we are playing an alt campaign where we got kidnapped out of time or resurrected or something, not sure yet, by a powerful wizard, who sends us on these trippy quests, and in that campaign pretty much anything goes within reason, homebrew, weird combos, nonsense multiclassing, asking for DM fiat, my paladins name is Fourchan
>>
>>43684730
>Paladins name is fourchañ

Literally cringed
>>
File: XM9QrQN-1.png (2 MB, 3600x2700) Image search: [Google]
XM9QrQN-1.png
2 MB, 3600x2700
The adventure is about a touring band trying to get invited to the Raucous Turnier, a kingdom-wide battle of the bands. This tournament is actually controlled by an organization called Canticum, attempting to spread The Drudge, an infection of repetitive boring music that basically brainwashes people. Canticum sacrifices most of the bands at the tournament, and tons of devils show up. The group then has to quest for legendary instruments, which they may use to put on a show to stop The Drudge, and fight a ton of devils.

That's the basic idea.

>>43684685
I don't think a triangle requires proficiency, but maybe 1 thunder damage with a range of 10/20 feet.
>>
>>43683695
I'm seriously considering making one for my next character...

the problem, perhaps, in my estimation, is 1) some of their abilities are pretty weak or convoluted, and 2) most of the rest of them are powerful but weirdly specific (and sometimes 3) not powerful enough).

but I think I might try it out and make an outsider background hunter ranger pic related
>>
>>43684738
haha he's pretty weird idk if my party knows what to think about the whole thing but whatever... our side campaign was originally going to just be one shots so i just made a weird paladin build, but now everyone likes those characters a lot so they've become recurring, and i thought of changing his name but it feels like cheating, so fourchan it is...!
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for a short premade adventure, that lasts around 6 sessions?

Also one that has the option of not starting at level 1, because a lvl1 start will lead to endless complaints from one of the players.
I can find some lists off google but have no idea how good the options are.
>>
>>43684774
sorry i mean "far traveler" from scag
>>
File: 1418346980770.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1418346980770.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1080
>Make a Fighter/Barbarian gestalt Midboss for the PCs to fight
>Obliterates both melee PCs in a single round

I didn't mean it to be like this
>>
>>43684114
>Bard and Druid
>Shitty
Kek

I give you land druid, but moon druid and any bard are both probably among the best classes in 5e
>>
>>43685050
Sounds cool but DMPC bosses can easily be either very weak or very powerful. How many levels was he above the party and what kinda gear did you give him?
>>
>>43684643
>Bard does't have access to this
Why?
>>
>>43684738
>ñ
>As the end of a word
That's not how ñ works
>>
>>43685136
My votes for most powerful class would fall on arcane cleric, battle master fighter, and valor bard. Bladesinger wizard gets an honorable mention because A.C. 19 at level 1 for a full minute is really good for a full caster plus wizards are always really strong.
>>
>>43684774
>>43684926
Try Hunter or Deep Stalker, don't even look at Beastmaster.

Also assume that Sharpshooter is a must.
>>
>>43685050
Level? fighter/barbarian ratio? stats? supposed CR? Party's level?
>>
>>43685170
so many feats to fit in... i might just go dual wielding and not worry too much about ranged weapons, just to make it all fit in and be easier (no parrying guns anyway...)

i feel like mobility or whatever its called is a must, to stop opportunity attacks, be faster, etc,.

defensive duelist might be good but then again the hunter might have enough defensive tricks as is. dual wielding feat in the case of not worrying about range, crossbow expert if not to use a hand crossbow, so many more.

i would/am/will definitely go/ing hunter ranger. deep stalker seems good but i think hunter captures the theme more.

i kind of want to use strength for whatever reason instead of dex even tho thats pretty much unoptimal... but maybe i'll start 16/16 strength dex and get medium armor master at some point... idk

too many choices

probably will want to multi out of ranger if i live that long at some point... fighter? swashbuckler really fits too. vengeance paladin could be cool. almost like blade lock (or maybe tome lock since i'll have extra attack anyway). barbarian gets some cool tricks.

so many options...
>>
Is the archfey pact for warlock any good? I've only ever played fiend pact warlock before but my new character only really work with the fae pact.
>>
Should I go for one of the SCAG melee cantrips as an arcana cleric? Or just a more melee focused character in general?

I don't really know what I'm supposed to go for as an arcana cleric, never played a cleric before and I'm stupid and lack 5e experience
>>
>>43685902
Use a Bow.
>>
>>43685902
do you want to melee?
as a cleric, you'll cast a buff (bless is great, and you get it at lvl 1), and then some offensive spells and cantrips, maybe that spiritual weapon bonus action spell.
if you don't know what you'll be doing in melee, you'll end up having to eventually lose concentration for a small amount of extra damage, it's wasteful. just spam a ranged cantrip instead.
>>
>>43685990
Not necessarily, someone described clerics to me as 'battlemages', but I think he's talking about Tempest or War clerics since they get proficiency with martial weapons.

Yeah, I'll think I'll stick to a more caster focused type of character and I'll be sure to pick up that bless spell. Thanks
>>
>>43685902
Get shocking grasp and either fire bolt, chill touch, or Ray of frost. You ultimately want to stay ranged but if melee happens shocking grasp allows for some easy damage most likely. Plus it removes their reaction for an easy no move action away.
>>
>>43684632
Ad you got a but ugly wizard who's also great with swords.
>>
>>43686074
even war clerics are better off casting, unless they multiclass to get more martial goodies and at least one extra attack.
it's just how the class is built, 9th level spells and 1 attack per round are pretty clear, it's a caster.
>>
>Melee orientated rogue
What feat do I take?
>>
>>43686455
Great Weapon Master or Alert.
Nothing like forcing greataxe crits as an assassin!
>>
>>43685902
I intend to try one. I suggest Magic Initiate for Shillelagh, so you only need Wisdom.
>>
>>43686500
you'll need cha anyway, to get that second 'attack'
>>
I'm trying to create a Bard but I have no character ideas, any suggestions? Setting is Forgotten realms.
>>
>>43686477
You know you can't sneak attack with greataxes, right?
>>
>>43686675
you can still assassinate with them, tho.
>>
>>43686521
What second 'attack'?
>>
>>43686532
Play a bard who made a deal with a fae lord played by David Bowie for musical power. Bonus points if that deal involved trading his infant brother.
>>
>>43686696
If you got some sorcerer levels, you could quicken a second greenflame blade.
It's better than the bonus actions a cleric gets, but IDK if it's worth the hassle to get metamagics.
>>
>>43686723

Multiclassing is stupid and never worth it.
>>
>>43677160
I don't want to be a wizard anymore
>>
>>43686755
Only the Sith deals in absolutes.
It's an option, kinda balanced - do it wrong, and it's stupid, do it right, and it's debetable if it's more powerful than a single-classed character, or it's a wash.
>>
>>43686723
I was actually considering a single level of Sorcerer for Con save proficiency and Shield, but Spiritual Weapon and/or ordering Animate Dead around aren't bad uses of a bonus action. I think the Arcana Cleric capstone is too good to delay more than a level at most.
>>
>>43686775
Why not anon? Do you not rule the multiverse yet?
>>
>>43686755
Multiclassing is worth it for short games played around mid-level. If you're playing 1-20 then you're better off staying single class, but hardly anyone plays games like that. If your character's starting at level 10 in a short campaign, or if you're making a character for a one-shot, then combining class features can be more effective and more interesting.
>>
>>43686800
Multiclassing doesn't give save proficiencies.
>>
>>43686443
Basically, clerics have a good amount of bonus action spells, so on those turns you either sacred flame or use a weapon, depending on what type of cleric you are.
>>
>>43686800
Remember that you have to have a hand free to cast shield. Some people fuck that up. Arcana cleric should generally be fine, but you know.
>>
>>43686955
sacred flame is always better, unless the cleric multiclasses somewhat heavily into a more martial class, and grab an extra attack and some more goodies, like smites or manouvers.
>>
>>43686989
If you've got potent spellcasting. If you have divine strike, the weapon is often better.
>>
>>43685050
>building an NPC like a player character
>not building for CR
You could have prevented this by READING THE BOOK.
>>
>>43686989
>Level 1
SF - 1d8 (4.5)
Melee - 1d8+3 (8.5)

>Level 5
SF - 2d8 (9)
Melee - 1d8+4 (9.5)

>Level 8
SF - 2d8 (9)
Melee - 2d8+5 (14)

>Level 11
SF - 3d8 (13.5)
Melee - 2d8+5 (14)

>Level 14
SF - 3d8 (13.5)
Melee - 3d8+5 (18.5)

>Level 17
SF - 4d8 (18)
Melee - 3d8+5 (18.5)

Sacred flame has the advantage of being ranged while still being able to use a shield. As a war or tempest cleric can just use a heavy crossbow for ranged attacks if needed
>>
Posted this in the thread yesterday.

I am designing a solo quest for a PC in which he chases someone down and defuses a bomb. Someone had a good idea that the bomb is magically stabilized and needs to be carefully dismantled.

Now I am wondering, since he is a very impulsive PC, how I can instruct him on proper bomb defusal without it seeming forced?
>>
>>43687062
going melee still runs the risk of losing concentration. an higher risk, if the monsters are smart.
that would impact on the expected damage in a way that your math doesn't show.
>>
>>43687062
Oh wait, I'm retarded, crossbow is dex, and you wouldn't be maxing strength before wisdom. You could still throw javelins, although, the range isn't as good as sacred flame. Assuming you aren't maxing strength first, I guess it depends on what level you are

>Level 1
SF - 1d8 (4.5)
Melee - 1d8+3 (8.5)

>Level 5
SF - 2d8 (9)
Melee - 1d8+3 (8.5)

>Level 8
SF - 2d8 (9)
Melee - 2d8+3 (12)

>Level 11
SF - 3d8 (13.5)
Melee - 2d8+3 (12)

>Level 14
SF - 3d8 (13.5)
Melee - 3d8+4 (17.5)

>Level 17
SF - 4d8 (18)
Melee - 3d8+5 (18.5)
>>
>>43686944
I mean first level Sorcerer, rest Cleric.

>>43686974
Being SAD means Warcaster is easy to fit in. Then you also get Booming Blade as a AoO.
>>
>>43687130
You could still throw a javelin every round, or go dex cleric and use a longbow/heavy crossbow
>>
>>43687157
that would be much better, are there returning javelins in 5e? otherwise you're losing out on the shield.
>>
>>43687178
Nope, but why would you lose out on the shield? You can pull out a javelin and throw it on the same turn and you don't need two hands. War clerics are better of going dex though. Thrown weapons aren't great with multiple attacks
>>
>>43687137
The biggest factor will usually be whichever one is more accurate for the given situation which varies wildly.
>>
Okay so our current party plan for an upcomming campaign is:

Necromancer Wizard
Bard with Animate Dead as one of his secrets
Warlock/Wizard, ultimately 14/6 Fiend/Necromancer
Death Cleric
Oathbreaker Paladin.

How much is the DM going to hate us?
>>
>>43687975
Is he aware you were interested in an evil campaign?

Is he adaptable enough to say "fuck it, you're in the Cabal of Kelthas Azhrahul..." and go from there?

In either of these cases he won't care or will get a sensible chuckle. Otherwise he'll cringe, as is his right in that situation, and do his best or ask you guys to try a different theme.
>>
Great Weapon nerf?https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/666462581184315394
>>
>>43687975
Perfectly fine, to me: evil setting that can range from hack and slash to diplomacy with demons and eventually party betrayal.
There are waaaaay worse premises to start a campaign with.
>>
File: 1445411389845.jpg (184 KB, 640x1040) Image search: [Google]
1445411389845.jpg
184 KB, 640x1040
>>43688042
Damn. Well, there goes 0.75 average damage for each smite die, along with every other buff you've got. What next, crits only double the weapon's damage die?
>>
>>43688042
He does say intent there, so that's still RAI not RAW. Doesn't surprise me though.
>>
>tfw can't generate maps for shit

This is especially annoying when dming on roll20.
>>
File: 1447672796205.jpg (944 KB, 1085x1500) Image search: [Google]
1447672796205.jpg
944 KB, 1085x1500
Which character sheet does everyone prefer, and how do you feel about hand-drawn sheets like pic related? I'm currently making a simpler, one-page sheet for my group and am basing it off of this.
>>
>>43688042
>Jeremy Nofun Crawford strikes again
>>
>>43688310
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/game-programming/polygon-map-generation/demo.html
>>
>>43688325
My sheets tend to be just notepaper.
>>
>>43688042
>Make distinction between Weapon's damage dice and Damage dice everytime everyfucking time
>Suddenly don't make the distinction here and both are the same thing
This is one of the main problems with 5e, wording is fucking shit and sage doesn't help with that
>>
>>43687988
>>43688052
We're going to be DM'd for by whoever's campaign (of the three our group is running) collapses first. We'll probably warn whichever one of us it is about it beforehand but we're just sort of waiting for that person to materialize.
>>
So, I never got a satisfying answer to this. If we know and have quantified the difficulty of multi monster encounters to a specific XP value using the multiplier, why do we not use it when awarding XP?

6 troglodytes is a harder fight than one gargoyle (600 XP vs. 450 XP) but it only awards 300 XP. Why?
>>
>>43688545
To make level progression slower in campaigns with harder encounters, while still accounting for multi-enemy action economy in encounter building.
>>
>>43688530
Tell them each ahead of time, as motivation.
>>
>>43688560
By why would you make level progression slower for only CERTAIN encounters rather than just across the board?

I don't want to feel like I am denying the party XP just because I thought it would be more thematic they fought a horde rather than a troll.

I shouldn't have to throw convenient single monster encounters at my party in order to keep their experience from lagging. It would get boring.
>>
Soon to be level 18 Divination Wizard here; what spells should I take for my spell mastery? I was thinking Misty Step and Shield for maximum survivability.
>>
>>43688545
1) To punish players for fighting 6 troglodytes at once.
2) Reverse: To reward players for splitting up the troglodytes to fight them one at a time.
3) To match the monetary reward more closely with the XP reward from each creature.
4) The experience is made up and the points don't matter.
5) Quest completion experience is supposed ot make up the difference. Rescuing villagers from a troglodyte den is worth more experience than fending off an angry gargoyle that you encountered on the road.
>>
>>43688663
This is why I do soft xp.
>>
>>43688678
Those are both good ideas, alternatively Mirror Image as opposed to Misty Step.
>>
File: 1409706704753s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1409706704753s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
what do i say to my DM and the rest of the group to try and convince them to help me stop the guy playing a lawl so random wizard who spends time either entering random rooms before we sneak into them or on his phone
>>
How game breaking would it be to allow my player (he's an elf sorcerer) to take one of the following metamagics:

Alter Element: 1 point to change the element of the spell cast, changing damage and behavior accordingly.

Shape Spell: 2 points to alter the shape of a spell (he basically wants to do Wall of Fire)

Alternatively, are there any homebrews that focus on Metamagics for Sorcerers?
>>
>>43688758
Raise your concerns that his antics are disruptive and not helpful to the party.

Can you give us a specific example of his behaviour?
>>
>>43688831
>Shape Spell: 2 points to alter the shape of a spell (he basically wants to do Wall of Fire)

Wall of Fire is already a spell. Careful Spell is the metamagic for shaping how your spell is... shaped.
>>
Any tips and tricks you all can give me for 5e druid? Already had the first session, still only level 1, going circle of the land.
>>
>>43688877
Play Circle of the Moon instead or you're going to have a very bad and pretty boring time.
>>
>>43688831
>Alter Element: 1 point to change the element of the spell cast, changing damage and behavior accordingly.
OK, but no thunder.
>>
>>43688839
me and the rogue were trying to unlock a door on one side of the room. she failed and i went to try it then he jump on the chance to to blast into the other door and we had to fight with the party not ready. he also ran off before we fought a boss into a room full of goblins.
>>
>>43688877
Land isn't as good as moon, as you wild shape is useless in combat. Make sure you use short rests.

You are a Druid wizard, don't try to be a frontliner. Early levels Healing Word is great as it is a bonus action, verbal only and heals about as much as a cure light wounds.
>>
>>43688926
He's a traitor and working for the goblins.
>>
>>43688863
>Wall of Fire is already a spell. Careful Spell is the metamagic for shaping how your spell is... shaped.

All parties involved are retarded. Thank you.
>>
>>43688950
i am playing an angry drunk who was raised by wolves, is there anything funny i can do to him to stop him?
>>
>>43689004
eat him?
he fled, why are you adventuring with a coward?
>>
>>43688887
Other than having weaker wildshapes, for awhile why is it bad?
>>
>>43689004
Tackle him and take his food. Or go into battle drunk and when he pulls stupid antics continue the fight in a drunken haze screaming about how he looks like a goblin and you're going to eat his face.
>>
>>43689004
No, be an adult and tell him about your concerns out of character.
>>
Anyone try out the swashbuckler yet? It looks like fun but Im not sure how well it will run in game
>>
>>43689055
Weaker wildshapes, loaded down with concentration spells, lackluster features that don't help you much and no proper method of attack at range so you have to sit there and concentrate on Faerie Fire or Entangle forever. You get a little better when you can Conjure Animals, but honestly everything you can do a Moon Druid can do too and can do it while also a Dire Wolf.
>>
>>43689082
he just wines muh karecture and you role play and asshole and no one cares.
>>
>>43689106
Can't cast spells while wild shaped until level 18.
>>
>>43689036
i can't kill him i am the new guy and everyone else hates that.
>>43689073
i might do that actually
>>
>>43689135
his character has gone insane.
maybe he always was a coward, but now it looks like he snapped.
take the hint from Darkest Dungeon: do you adventure with insane and overstressed characters? no!
you throw them in the Asylum. and then in the whore-pit, if more is needed.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.