[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What sort of society would develop inside a generation ship on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: 060211_1_asteromo_3.jpg (36 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
060211_1_asteromo_3.jpg
36 KB, 450x350
What sort of society would develop inside a generation ship on a centuries-long voyage?
>>
>>43674579

Anyone who says "the ship moves" gets thrown out the airlock.
>>
An inbred one
>>
File: kju20141011228705.jpg (38 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
kju20141011228705.jpg
38 KB, 620x372
North Korea in space. No way to escape. Nowhere to hide. And a rebellion might doom the entire population depending on how much damage cause the insurrection.
>>
>>43674579
It would be like a functional, benevolent version of Communism.

On the one hand, you would have basically no privacy or freedom. Resources are extremely scarce. What there is is what there is and that's it. You would probably be forced to marry against your will and could only have children when the administrators said so, and with whom they said so, in order to maintain genetic diversity and keep the population carefully controlled.

Everybody works together because, if they don't they all die. Also, you can be reasonable assured of no purges and good medical care because, every person who dies without producing children reduces the genetic diversity, and thus long-term viability, of the eventual colony.
>>
>>43674579
If the interior landmass is at least equivalent in size to Eurasia, then I think it Would have a better chance of turning out positively.
>>
In similar vein, how would a society of humans from WWIII Earth function after being dropped on their asses on a new planet, preserved by way of cryosleep?

WWIII Earth is pretty much as expected when they're only post-modern. Nascent laser weapons, scarce resources, powered armour, some mechs.
>>
The arrival to their destination would likely be viewed as a religious event. Whole mythologies would spring up over time about what would happen at The Arrival.
>>
>>43674773
Wouldn't they use artificial insemination? and maybe sterilization after getting the "samples" so people can have sex freely.
>>
>>43675639
so filthy liberal hippy paradise sex party?
>>
>>43674579
You ever read Rama?
>>
>>43674579
Non-Stop, Brian Aldiss, 1958.
>>
>>43675762
And somewhere across the galaxy a mini-slaanesh is born.
>>
>>43675639
Yeah, artificial insemination seems like the way to go. Maybe even artificial wombs, no living mother required. This way all citizens, male or female, can focus on their daily lives, without having to worry about being bogged down by pregnancy, while also ensuring genetic diversity.
>>
>>43674579
What we see as Noah's ark, other alien races see as virulent spores.
>>
>>43675762
Hopefully, no. If anything, they'd use ectogenesis and would genetically modify the humans to have a reduced or non-existent libido. chemical pleasure seeking (beyond "normal" pleasure seeking) wouldn't be a good behavior to foster on this ship.
>>
>>43677088
I often think that society in general could be improved if humans had less of a desire for sex. We've definitely advanced far enough as a species that we don't depend on an intense libido to survive. At this point, it just gets in the way.
>>
Knights of sidonia
Most of the population wears some kind of space ready suit, most are ship workers, cloning to quickly replace a sudden death of a person.
>>
>>43674579
Read Orphans of the Sky
>>
>>43677173
Agreed, but then people will start complaining about a "loss of freedom" and "sex is what makes us human!" Fucking hippies; I'll just join a commune or whatever and create an army of sexless ubermenschen sans vestigal organs and male nipples.
>>
>>43677175
I agree.

God-tier btw
>>
File: Metamorphosis Alpha.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Metamorphosis Alpha.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43674579

Try this one out
>>
There would be a hard cap on population. The ship only has so much capacity and to exceed that puts everyone in danger. That means couples are limited to only two children . This could lead to a Sophie's Choice situation where a family already has one child and then gets twins. They would have to either abort one of the twins or one of the parents has to commit suicide to maintain the balance.

Also, your job would be picked for you. Hopefully the leadership is wise and matches people based on the individual but if a critical job needs to be done and you are the only person available you don't have a choice.
>>
>>43677363
>They would have to either abort one of the twins or one of the parents has to commit suicide to maintain the balance.
Or one other family that only has one or no children could volunteer (or be forced) to not have a second child.
>>
File: book of the long sun.jpg (360 KB, 1105x1825) Image search: [Google]
book of the long sun.jpg
360 KB, 1105x1825
>>43674579
>ctrl f "Long Sun"
>no results
>>
>>43674579
Watch Ascension.
>Cultural stasis
>controlled birth/death
>Your choice of employment and the path your life takes is extremely limited
>Homosexuality is banned, if you're unwilling to reproduce to sustain the population cap, you have no purpose
>Class tensions
>People doing/modifying whatever they can to get even the slightest bit of change or happiness
>Depression
>>
>>43674579
masochistic bio-tech only warriors bent on galactic domination
>>
I wonder if an all female crew would be viable? The idea being they can pump out babies when they reach their destination. Possibly less aggression with no males around.

If they had a small crew they could use technology to prevent inbreeding. They carry sperm and egg donations from the entire earth. Using artificial insemination and sex selection they keep the ships population at cap.
>>
>>43678788
How have you not heard of this disaster before

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1168182/Catfights-handbags-tears-toilets-When-producer-launched-women-TV-company-thought-shed-kissed-goodbye-conflict-.html
>>
File: OH GOD GET THIS SPIDER OFF ME.jpg (64 KB, 544x400) Image search: [Google]
OH GOD GET THIS SPIDER OFF ME.jpg
64 KB, 544x400
>>43678788
>Possibly less aggression with no males around
>>
>>43678788
Isn't it scientific fact or something that people are less assholish when there's a balance between the sexes in a company?
I dunno, it just seems like something that makes sense.
>>
>>43678788
women only tv companies crash and burn terribly, a women only spaceship would literally crash and burn
>>
>>43678788
Does anyone have the screencap of the all male survival island vs the all female survival island?

IIRC, the women spent the first day sunbathing and let their shit get washed out to see, and then bitched at each other about it, while the men actually get stuff done.

Face it anon, the only thing women have going for them is that they have tits, ass, and are necessary (for now) to keep the species going.
>>
>>43677220
Well appendices are actually good for something. Doctors use them to fix baby ass if they get screwed up during birth.
Scientists think it might also be a breeding ground for helpful bacteria as well, but we're not sure.
>>
>>43679111
Well, at the very least, can we get rid of wisdom teeth and male nipples?
>>
>>43679015
Dude, it's because men know how hierarchies work.
You do realize 'First World entitled bitches' is not representative of women, right?
>>
>>43679015
Oh man, it gets better.
We can do weird stuff with injecting proteins to create pretty much whatever cell we want. So you don't even need women for their eggs. You don't need men per se either, so it looks like we're heading towards sexless ubermenschs.
And that's the power of research fueled by dead babies!
>>
>>43679174
Yeah, those need to go. Wisdom teeth removal hurts like a bitch.
>>
>>43679192
Why even keep humanoid form? Surely we can create a self sustaining flesh wall to advance humanity.
>>
>>43679192
>You don't need men per se either, so it looks like we're heading towards sexless ubermenschs.
>humanity becomes a race of dr.atoms (preferably with more tastefully colored skin; I'm partial to grey-tan or alabaster) kept alive through their mastery of technology
>post-humans are still based on the male chasis since it's best
Can't fucking wait desu senpai.

>>43679270
Too inefficient, square cube law and all that. I mean, I'd like to be a twelve foot tall ubermensch, but the proportions to maintain such a form would look wonky as fuck. That is, of course, unless we figure out how to infuse titanium in our bones and other such augmentations.
>>
I image it would be xenophobic
>>
File: tumblr_lt35u3ecV01r4aclto1_540.jpg (128 KB, 525x542) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lt35u3ecV01r4aclto1_540.jpg
128 KB, 525x542
>>43679297
How long till humanity goes full DRR DRR DRR mode?
>>
>>43679297
Just taking things down their logical routes, this is a good way to justify meeting rubber forehead aliens and beyond, they were once human, and then they did weird stuff to themselves before meeting up with the other ships.
>>
>>43679337
Hopefully never, too brittle and unsymmetrical. In all honesty, the human form is pretty good. It could probably be improved with extra arms, maybe(and that's a big maybe) an extra set of legs or two, but the vertical structure works out pretty well.

>you will never be a post-human with 6 arms for punchan, and mechendrites for toolan.
>>
>>43679355
>there's a planet of lamia somewhere out there

Better scenario; humanity is actually the progenitor species, and we go around dropping undeveloped modern-humans/base-humans on terraformed worlds to see what they do. The ones that eventually work out technological apotheosis get to join the greater human federation, and the rest just get to tool around in their local group until another group of humans wipe them out or assimilate them.
>>
>>43679391
You kidding? With such tiny and noodle like bodies, we could reduce material use by 3 fold! Hallways would be just slightly larger than a air duct as we could just cling to the walls as we skitter across. Not to mention ease of reach.
>>
>>43679472
But it looks weird as fuck; the current human form is aesthetically pleasing to such an absurd degree that I cannot even.
>>
>>43679495
So what you're saying is that we should work on neurology to make us see beauty in spaghetti like critters, correct?
>>
>>43679554
No, I'm saying we should work at perfecting the human form and all its reasonable derivatives.
>>
>>43679495
That's nothing a little applied psychology can't fix.
>>
>>43679586
That sounds so EXPENSIVE though, why not work on budgeting everything, including everything about our bodies?
>>
>>43679615
>Caring about expenses when the future of groriousu humanity is on the line
Luddite pls go reee.

>>43679597
But is it in need of fixing?
>>
>>43679192
>>43679297
But I like the female form. Can't we find a way to increase the strength per pound and get rid of the shitty hormones/illogical hysteria without sacrificing the general shape?
>>
>>43680090
But if there's no libido, why? The malformed would be stronger with the same improvements.
>>
>>43679762
>But is it in need of fixing?
It is if our distant descendants are noodle-esque.
But adjust might have been a better word.
>>
>>43680141
You have your aesthetic preferences, I have mine. Nothing more.
Must a painting use oil to be beautiful?
>>
>>43680158
>future space humanity will be a floating bag of organs with four manipulator appendages that propels itself through zero-gravity/freefall via powerfarting
>>
>>43680203
>allTomorrows.pdf
>>
>>43674593
The Ship is all.
>>
File: 1444796947519.jpg (34 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
1444796947519.jpg
34 KB, 425x340
>>43674579
>>
>>43674593
Conversely, anyone who questions the movement of the ship gets spaced.
The Ship continues on. Fuel has not run out. We are not stranded in space. Return to your work.
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1334x750
>>43680245
Here's the smartest race in the universe.
>>
File: sidonia view.jpg (241 KB, 1200x858) Image search: [Google]
sidonia view.jpg
241 KB, 1200x858
There's going to be a seriously strange set of waifus, that's for sure.

Tentacle waifu is best, waifu/husbando is second
>>
>they are trying to send meat bodies to another solar system!
LaughingAIs.xp
>>
>>43680606
They would be, if being a waifu wasn't a death flag in that setting
>>
>>43674579
Oh, shit, is that The Stone from Eon?
>>
>>43679192
If you can do that, you can just automatically brew up a bunch of humans when you reach your destination, and you don't even need a generation ship, just a drone with a human-maker attached.
>>
>>43680950
And with modern 3D-printing technologies they'll come out in a flash!

Just imagine, an entire drone fleet going about the cosmos, finding suitable worlds then just shitting out new humans by the thousands.
>>
>>43674579
You might want to see this.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/31538422/
>>
so what IS the ship moves anyway? I always see it mentioned

some sort of 40k AU?
>>
>>43682114
>>43682114
>some sort of 40k AU?
Yeah

>Emprah actually manages to get an order out
>commands humanity to harvest pretty much everything
>use these resources to build a giant ship with which humanity can escape the galaxy, harvesting stuff along the way
>this isn't just a giant ship
>it's a scale giant ship
>meaning the portholes are several kilometers in diameter, and rivets are the size of small plateaus
>the ship ate a tombworld along the way, so now the hull is infused with necrodermis and is self-repairing
>at the bridge, the Emperor guides the ship
>the ship moves
>>
>>43679337
That was a stupid manga.
>>
>>43674579
Error correction algorithms making sure the digitized genetic and cultural archives survive the long voyage.

Face it, generation ships are a dumb idea, Seed ships and von-newman swarms are where it's at.
>>
>>43674579
Just read Robert Heinlein's Universe
>>
>>43682114
It's a reference to the original science fiction story about a Generation Ship, Robert A. Heinlein's "Universe" in which, after a mutiny and a failure of the drive system, a generation ship turned into a theocratic dictatorship.

This might not seem too interesting now, but remember that this was the first time anyone had ever written anything about a Generation Ship, so it was also most peoples' introduction to the entire concept.

That said, it's not particularly well written, because Heinlein's quality varied a lot.
>>
>>43675639
That would make the most sense. Males give a sperm sample when they hit puberty and then get a vasectomy. Women give egg samples at puberty and could maybe also have some sort of sterilization, but the vasectomies should pretty much cover it.
>>
>>43679495
>the current human form is aesthetically pleasing
This is because your brain has a chunk designed to find it so. It's easily reparable - anime does most of the work on its own, especially if you don't interact with other people. That's why hardcore NEETs start finding 3d pd.

The Mirror Neurons are also responsible for you finding your reflection less attractive the longer you look at it, and for beauty fading over time - they gloss over minor flaws at close glance, and only register them over time.

That, coupled with wearing makeup, is why women get insecure about their appearance if they have enough mirrors, and part of the reason for this: >>43678867
>>
>>43677088
>>43677088
>>43677054
>>43677054
Found the turbovirgins
>>
>>43674579

All I know is that they would traverse inside the ship by means of dorky looking scooters that go at about 3 miles an hour.
>>
>>43674579
Depends on so many factors, etc.
>>
>>43677363
>>43677430
And in case of early deaths of non-parents, a lucky couple gets to have another child.
>>
>80 posts and no mention of Logan's Run
It's the perfect solution to all your population problems.
>>
>>43680533
that's debatable.
>>
>>43680506
>Fuel has not run out
as long as we didn't halt motion before running out, we'd just continue on at the same speed because inertia
lrn2space
>>
File: tumblr_mnsvha7uDz1ro4lgoo2_500.gif (844 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnsvha7uDz1ro4lgoo2_500.gif
844 KB, 500x375
>>43674593
>>
>>43683584

Ok, I can tell you're making a joke, but I don't get it.
>>
>>43679217
>>43679174
You small mouthed pussies, I kept my wisdom teeth.
>>
>>43674579
> Century-long journey
> Not using cryogeny, stasis, or gravity-induced time manipulation to reach the destination in what seems to be a blink of an eye.
>>
>>43677220
>>43677173
Faggot virgins
>>
>>43679174
> Getting rid of male nipples
Oh boy, you clearly neved had your girlfriend slowly caress them with her tongue.

>>43679217
> What is local anesthesy
Think of the people who had to get them removed without having their entire fucking face numbed to oblivion
>>
>>43683921
Let's assume that cold sleep doesn't work for whatever reason and fast travel like warp drives or black hole drives are beyond the technology of the time.
Besides, as other anons pointed out the most efficient way is robot probes and bio-printers.
>>
>>43679391
>but the vertical structure works out pretty well.
Back problems. There's definitely room for improvement there.
>>
>>43677788
Putting that on my to read list.
>>
>>43684024
>robot probes and bio-printers
Assuming we can imprint a fast-grown-clone with a functioning mind and education, something I am far from certain of. If we can't, we'll have to make robot mothers and teachers, so we can grow the colonists slow.

One of 16 Psyche's little sisters hollowed out, fitted with VASIMR or Orion drive, ~100,000 square foot floor plan (of berthing, science stations, engineering stations, entertainment spaces, public spaces, etc equivalent to a 3500 crew aircraft carrier), spin gravity with counterweight, and an initial crew of 500 would be an undertaking of only a little more effort, and might simply be more feasible, period.
>>
>>43683953
>Think of the people who had to get them removed without having their entire fucking face numbed to oblivion
Fuck that noise. When I had mine taken out I went to an oral surgeon and got the lights out anesthesia. Entire procedure from my stand point consisted of "ow why are you poking me with a needle, hey this feels warm" followed by "what a comfy bed I just woke up in". The recovery sucked though.
>>
>>43679217
>>43684837
>>43683855
Is this really that much of a problem?

I hadn't realized wisdom teeth were a problem. Mine came through and once the skin was scraped off the top of them they just sat there unobtrusive and happy. They still sit there just minding their own business and being of no concern.

How common is this?
>>
File: 1416261313982.gif (4 MB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
1416261313982.gif
4 MB, 500x368
>mfw people still using a scripted tv show to show that woman only groups don't work
>mfw a similar british show used the same gimmick and their female only group preformed almost the same as the male group
>mfw

The fact that people actually use an episode of Survivor to circle jerk is almost amazing as how the it's been coming up in the same situation for years now.
>>
>>43685446
>almost

says it all

i wouldn't put my trust in "almost" in.a war
>>
>>43675969
Which one do you have to read to learn about society on Rama?
>>
>>43685446
>almost the same
and when someone almost drags your ass out of a burning building, I'm sure you'll be grateful that they attempted it
>>
>>43685456
Only Europe and America did do this, and it went really well. Just that they fired all the women that were doing vital jobs the moment that the men came back. In mass quantities too.

Then they wondered why the women got pissed off and started the second wave of feminism.
>>
>>43685456

Technically 'almost the same' doesn't mean that they did worse. If they'd done better it would be also 'Almost the same'
>>
>>43685555
Because that's unique to women.

Although for the record I would be very thankful that anyone put their own life on the line to save mine, whether they succeed or not.

>>43685560
Also this. I love how they assumed it means that the women did horrifically worse too.
>>
>>43685559
The vast majority of women doing those jobs quit in just a few weeks time

Only a small minority thought that getting up early to work hard physical labor was fun

Second wave feminism was started by bratty college aged sociopaths who lionized women who did hard labor while supporting politicians which sent those jobs overseas or gave them to mexicans and demanding quotas in nice office jobs
>>
>>43685580
[citation needed]
>>
>>43678867
Unlike females, men can put grudges aside and work together, if neccesary.

There was a nice experiment with all female and all male groups that should survive on empty islands.

Guess which group was able to provide resources for the other group that fucked up after the first week?
>>
>>43685627
Retard detected

Can you not tell the difference between WWII propaganda that became feminist propaganda and reality?
>>
>>43682250
I want to believe
>>
>>43685572
>Because that's unique to women.
It's not, and that'd be one of the more (if not the most) extreme examples.

But relaxing physical standards for inclusivity's sake is just something I have a strong opinion against. Even in more mundane labor jobs it's a huge safety risk.
>>
>>43685633
>There was a nice experiment

You mean an episode of Survivor?
>>
>>43685633

Citation of that experiment?

Either that or a note from your proctologist if you plan to pull that much out of your ass.
>>
>>43685669
That's not even what I was talking about, but okay. Shift goal posts if you want anon-kun.

>>43685650
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-24843320
>>
>>43685718
>Shift goal posts if you want anon-kun.

All in the name of inclusiveness.
>>
>>43685718
>>43685672
>>43685650
>>43685633
>>43685580
>>43685572
>>43685559
>>43685446

I don't know why I thought /tg/ was above this shit. This is /co/ level shit.
>>
>>43685732
I could care less about inclusiveness. The only one pushing that in any manner is you

What I'm talking about is facts and history. If 'they' can do it, good. If they can't, fine. But don't willfully ignore things that are proven to have happened, or use a TV of all things to push your agenda.
>>
File: 1373525203023.jpg (76 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1373525203023.jpg
76 KB, 500x750
>>43685745
You thought that /tg/ was above actual evidence and sources? Are you fucking retarded or have you just never been here before? We have threads about weapons, armor, and historical shit all the time. Before /hist/ was actually made into a board it was /tg/ and /k/ that hosted such topics.

If you're wrong then you're going to be called out on it. That's how it's always been here.
>>
>>43685753
>don't willfully ignore things that are proven to have happened

When there is actual proof I will take it, but funny enough much like global warming and evolution, requests for that "proof" just make the propagandists clam up
>>
>>43685798
>evolution
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>43685798
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-24843320

Google also exists. You have no excuse to not look for proof yourself.
>>
>>43685775
Okay I might have phrased that wrong. /tg/ has definitely been one to argue about every last fucking thing, evidence or not, but my disbelief was more because of the subject itself.

I just don't see the subject of feminism being argued here that often. I suppose my time on /co/ has caused me to develop a knee jerk reaction to anything regarding feminism; pro or not.

Also I've been here for almost 6 years. (I'm not an oldfag but getting there)
>>
>>43685813
burden of proof is on the accused, bitch

>>43685801
I'm trying to say we have let darwinist lies into schools and our kids are indoctrinated to believe we are all apes
>>
File: 1384112459141.jpg (52 KB, 595x446) Image search: [Google]
1384112459141.jpg
52 KB, 595x446
>>43685798
>but funny enough much like global warming and evolution

Oh. Ooooooh, never fucking mind. You're one of those people.

Do you also think that Vaccines cause autism? Genuinely interested.
>>
>>43685821
>I just don't see the subject of feminism being argued here that often.

We had at least on thread on november 4th make it to auto sage. -4 STR threads are years old tradition. We have had this thread happen likely countless times before, probably to the letter.

You might have been around for 6 years, but you either don't seem to come here very often or go beyond the front page.
>>
File: Bait Master.jpg (85 KB, 600x752) Image search: [Google]
Bait Master.jpg
85 KB, 600x752
>>43685798
>Global warming and evolution is propaganda

I hope your bait. If not you should really think about killing yourself.
>>
>>43685831
Isn't it predictable, you leap straight to the accusations of being a crank as soon as someone challenges the gospel of your lord and saviour Al Gore

Face it, you are just swallowing the ecocock
>>
>>43685826
>I'm trying to say we have let Darwinist lies into schools and our kids are indoctrinated to believe we are all apes

Well okay then. Would you rather return to /x/ or put on a name and trip?
>>
>>43685847
>oh no, someone has different opinion than me!
>i'll meme on him!
>that will shut him up!
>>
>>43685826
>I'm trying to say we have let darwinist lies into schools and our kids are indoctrinated to believe we are all apes
Back to the Vatican, peasant.
>>
>>43685856
Jokes you on, I'm from New Zealand.
>>
>>43685864

Actually, the Vatican wouldn't want him. It's firmly pro-evolution.
>>
>>43685864
...you do realise that catholic church doesn't have anything against theory of evolution, right? It's protestants who rage against it.
>>
>>43685845
I suppose you're right now that I dwell on it. It's more that I have the threads that I like and stop posting when these things break out. Also I have been very off and on, I will admit.

To be frank I have no idea why I even posted in the first place. Just a bad knee jerk on my part.
>>
>>43685881
It's all cool dude. Everyone does that once in a while.
>>
>>43685894
Thanks for understanding, I would say sorry for shitting up this thread, but this thread has pretty much gone to hell already.
>>
>>43685261
>How common is this?
I don't have numbers, but at least among the group of friends I had dinner with over the weekend, 4 out of 8 had them removed, and the 5th guy is going in tomorrow to have it done.

So pretty common, I guess.
>>
>>43685856
Wow. You belong in a museum.
>>
>>43683949
>>43683574
Found the sexual insecure teenager.
>>
>>43685912
I had no idea.

Nobody in my family has ever had this problem and only two of my friends have.

Those two are exceptionally weird people.

One has had three natural sets of teeth. So I have no idea what the fuck is going on there.

The other only had problems with one of them so he removed it himself using the contents of a toolbox. It shattered the tooth and now he has a sort of black stump. He says it doesn't hurt so he has left it alone for the last 15 years.

So out of the normal people that I know and most of the abnormal ones I assumed it wasn't a thing except in exceptional cases.
>>
>>43685826

Anon why dont you try some biology before taking empirical science as lies?
>>
>>43685864
I'm Catholic.

Catholic Church is all for the theory of evolution. Taking the book of Genesis as literal truth hasn't officially been a thing for us since St Hippo. He has been dead since 430AD.

There is a reason the Church was so glad to see the back of the nutters when they started getting on boats and looking at another continent.
>>
>>43685718
>Some 9,000 British women were recruited to work in forestry during the war.
>"Physically it was very, very hard work”

What am I supposed to be reading here that supports your argument?
>>
>>43685946
so please tell me exactly what the "problem" is. You can't though because actually codifying your stance would mean you can't move the goalposts to spread misinformation and fear.
>>
>>43686053
>The other only had problems with one of them so he removed it himself using the contents of a toolbox. It shattered the tooth and now he has a sort of black stump. He says it doesn't hurt so he has left it alone for the last 15 years.

Who the fuck does this?! Is he some kind of weird redneck or what? Tooth infection shit can go into your brain and kill you!
>>
>traditional gaming is still overwhelmingly male
>/tg/ still manages to fit into the pussified nerd stereotype

If women had the stomach for actually bothering with paints and glues and crafting you guys would be fucked six ways to sunday
>>
>>43686075
>catholics
>in charge of being christian

ayy lmao who trusts micks and greasers to interpret the word of the lord

go back to beating off to false idols
>>
>>43686081
>misinformation and fear.
The only fear here is yours. Evolution is visible in microbial colonies.
>>
>>43686093

This was expressly about 'Go back to the Vatican'.

The Catholics ARE in charge of being Catholic.
>>
>>43686102
>The Catholics ARE in charge of being Catholic.
Top kek.
>>
>>43686075
>the nutters
>catholic church is hugely corrupt and molests kids, but at least they don't take genesis literally
>also believes pope is supreme pontiff when the church had always functioned on a first among equals model until the pope got his own pet "Roman" emperor

Yeah you sure showed them

>>43685864
The Big Bang theory was created by a priest. Learning is historically hand-in-hand with religion, it is only in the modern age that fedoras have tried to divorce them in an effort to feel smart about something they can't prove either way.
>>
File: 1392388151549.jpg (67 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1392388151549.jpg
67 KB, 500x730
>>43686077
>They said objectively hard work commonly thought of and called hard labor is hard!
>By them stating the obvious, this means that the source does not support anon's stance on historical facts being factual!
>Never mind that my comment was about it being propaganda and not real

gg no re
>>
>>43686081
Mutation rates correlate with chemical dating metods and geological dating metods.
You can preditc the age of a geological formation is there a fosil near , and then use the other two metod to be sure.
>>
>>43686114
You were supposed to be proving that women didn't dump the jobs as soon as the men came back.
>>
>>43686090
>What is scrap booking
>What is etsy
>What is arts and crafts being almost completely seen as something for women and gay flammers

Are you retarded or blind?
>>
>>43686114
How stupid are you exactly? I never said that Rosies didn't exist you fucking moron, I said that the actual impact of the Rosies was far less than people think and most women didn't actually enjoy that hard work and were eager to quit. That the image of the Rosies was used as WWII propaganda and were later appropriated as feminist propaganda by college aged women in the 1960s who never had any intention of actually working in a factory (because lower class women who didn't go to college often worked to support their family anyway, the idea of being a stay at home mom is mostly a middle class ideal).
>>
>>43686084
His life reads like the sort of unrealistic backstory people wouldn't use as a PC origin story.

>?! Is he some kind of weird redneck or what?

Worse.

I think he might be an orc PC. His backstory fucking reads like one.

In his time he has been a doorman and barman to clubs and pubs, a professional of several illegal professions I won't name here, ran away from home and school in his teens, narrowly avoided seeing the rest of his family in prison numerous times, fathered a small tribe of children to many different women, had his liver pack in in his early 20s because of heavy drinking since he was 12, been given a life expectancy from a doctor that expired about 7 years ago, lives off of about 95% meat diet, and has survived and recovered from shit that would have killed or crippled me several times over.

I have worked with him for the better part of a decade.

Home dentistry is the least thing he has done. The risk of infection is barely worth noting. Assuming a mundane infection could survive in the chemical sludge he calls blood.

He even looks like Fester Addams.
>>
>>43686124
>you're supposed to be disproving propaganda as told by feminists decades later

http://www.alearned.com/rosie-the-riveter/

Okay there you go, the woman whose image became the iconic Rosie quit because it was too dangerous for her womanly sensibilities. Ready to accept that Rosie was primarily propaganda yet?
>>
>>43677220
>This is the Captain speaking. Lately i have been receiving reports that many of you are complaining about the restriction of liberties.
>May i remind everyone that we are living inside a nearly derelict ship that has finite resources. Our ancestors has signed off a lot of our liberties the moment they stepped inside this ship.
>The next to preaches about "human rights" will get jettisoned off the airlock.
>>
>>43686168
Do you know what side you're arguing for, because I didn't up until that post.
>>
>>43686124
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/7027/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_World_War_II
http://www.westga.edu/~hgoodson/Women%20and%20Work.htm
http://www.striking-women.org/module/women-and-work/post-world-war-ii-1946-1970
http://www.kcts9.org/sites/default/files/unit5_readings_womenandworkafterwwii.pdf

They were fired and not allowed to be rehired. They did not like this.
>>
>>43686179
I don't know who is arguing with who
>>
>>43686183
No. Stop it. I'm sexually insecure and find women threatening, and by disparaging them and advocating strong gender roles where women are effectively excluded from meaningful jobs by lack of perceived ability, I make myself feel more secure. Also, that one woman once said something mean about video games or pornography, and I lack perspective and so blew that way out of proportion, making it seem like it was a vitally important world event, and generalizing her stance to the larger population of women, who are alien and hard to relate to for somebody like me.
>>
>>43686302
Not that guy or anything but

Why is raising children not seen as a meaningful job?

genuinely curious?
>>
>>43686329
Depends on your definition of a job, if it's something you get paid to do then raising children is a really shitty job. Since even childminders only do it to lessen the amount they lose by looking after their own kids. (or make looking after their own kids slightly more profitable, depending on your outlook)

There's probably edge cases where rich people will pay you to essentially raise their kids for them, but that's not the norm for people who spend time they could be employed doing other work raising kids.

So what it comes down to is you being dependant on another person for income/support, which means you're reliant on the actions of another to survive. Now that's not an awful thing but depending on how much importance you place on raising children then it can be seen as the subservient role in the relationship. Whether it is or not is up to personal interpretation.
>>
>>43674579
Wasn't one of the functions of the Vaults in Fallout to study human adaptation to isolation and limited resources in preparation for an interstellar flight, if Earth turned out to be too badly damaged to re-colonize by the Enclave?
>>
>>43686376
I see. Thank you.

I would see it as a mutually beneficial trade.

One parent, traditionally the mother, stays at home and looks after the kid. This allows the other parent, traditionally the father, to concentrate on gathering resources/earning cash to look after their mutual offspring.

Men are, on average, stronger than women. So they can earn more from simple work.

I get that in the civilized word this is not always the case. That in many professions physical brawn is not a prominent need. In some case the mother would earn more. It is only logical that she would earn and he would raise the kid.

But in neither case is the continuation of civilization any less than massively important. That's how I see it in any case.
>>
>>43686329
In all seriousness, raising children is a very important job, and one I wish more households would take seriously (and had the economic freedom to devote the proper time to*). It's the whole "it's all women good for" perspective that I find troubling. My mother stayed home and raised us, and I consider that a good thing. But she also had the freedom to go to night classes, get a computer degree, and start her own job once we got a bit older. And dad took an early retirement after his field kind of collapsed due to mergers (and he was overqualified to get any sort of related employment), while mom worked. Not that it would've somehow invalidated my mother's child raising if she hadn't later gotten a job, but rather that it was the opportunity to do something different (if she wanted to) that was important. I have nothing at all against (individual) women occupying what has been their historical gender role, as long as its a choice that's freely made, and other opportunities are left open to them.

*Ironically, one of the bigger obstacles to having a stay-at-home parent is that of low wage jobs forcing both parents to work. The fiscal policies of conservatives do much to undermine the social ideals of conservatives.
>>
>>43686389
Nah, all the Vaults do different things. Ex: 101 was never to be opened, 111 was an experiment in cryopreservation, 13 was either a control or a 200-year closure, 15 was an experiment in cramming a bunch of different ideologies into a single vault, 21 was gambling anarchy, 75 was eugenics, and 22 was plants,
>>
>>43686329
I think a big question is: Who's gonna pay you for it? The one receiving the care is the baby, so do you bill him once he's 18 for the goods and services he received, plus the overtime and all that?

Nobody pays me for keeping my house clean or making my own dinners. Why would I get paid for raising my own kids. Who do I bill for changing the oil on my car or mowing my own lawn?
>>
>>43686435
This.

But all of them, especially the control vaults like 101, were also a good indication of what an off-world colony would be like.

Robco were planning or just starting automated off-world mining operations when the bombs fell and Mr house seems to know how to build an inter-stellar ship.

If The War could have been delayed 20 or 30 or maybe even 10 years it would have been far less relevant as America would have had sustainable colonies off of Earth and some civilization would have survived somewhere out amongst the stars.
>>
>>43686435
Yes? Different experiments testing different parameters and their effects on the society of the Vaults and the psychology of the inhabitants. Plus a number of control vaults that weren't fucked with.

I remember one of the games talking about how colonizing another planet was considered an option if Earth got too fucked in the war.
>>
>>43686474
101 wasn't a control, 101 was investigating inbreeding by keeping everybody trapped inside forever.
>>
>>43686413
See what you're saying makes sense, and is ultimately how a lot of people live their lives (with either sex working while the other raises the children), but it can also not be as simple as that once you consider other aspects.

For example the family wealth. You'd need to remove any claim the working partner had over the money, or have the non-working partner act as treasurer and divide up funds (which again does happen etc) otherwise it becomes a case of the working partner having a position of authority because they have all the money. It's better to consider it as Family Balance that gets split between everyone to support the entire family unit, rather than Working Person's Balance which gets given to the non-working parent as support.

Although I may be advocating some weird form of micro-communism now between a family unit.

But as another anon said, the reason devoting your time to raising children often gets a bad rap isn't because it's not seen as worthwhile to do, but because certain groups/people see it as the only thing another group should do.
>>
File: cr 90.jpg (4 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
cr 90.jpg
4 MB, 4000x3000
>>43674579
Their society would probably fall apart and get rebuilt several times during their trip. I'm guessing that 80% of ships wouldn't leave any survivors whatsoever. Those that make it to their destination with any crew left whatsoever will probably have wasted 80% of their biomass, resources and knowledge. Probably only to find out that a safer, more modern ship had already colonized their destination centuries ago.

Crews that survive and prosper against all odds will probably not want to leave the ship at all, except to resupply, upgrade or replace it for a better one. They are effectively Ironborn at this point.
>>
>>43677088
>chemical pleasure seeking (beyond "normal" pleasure seeking) wouldn't be a good behavior to foster on this ship
What do you mean by chemical pleasure seeking? All human behavior is guided by brain chemistry and what not.
>>
File: Gambino.jpg (66 KB, 287x475) Image search: [Google]
Gambino.jpg
66 KB, 287x475
>>43674579
Basically the Butterfly of Stars
the book of itself is not that great, but it is the ideas behind him that make it worth reading.
>>
File: disapproval2.jpg (3 KB, 83x125) Image search: [Google]
disapproval2.jpg
3 KB, 83x125
>>43679174

>removing male nipples
>>
>>43679391

Nah, human weakness expecially in the males is poor circulation
>>
>>43685261

Quite common if you haven't perfect teeth to begin with.

Mine had come out fine, but they created a small sack bewteen mouth and gums so I developed an abscess and had to remove one
>>
>>43685876
>>43685872

If I recall correctly the only thing the Vatican adds is that despite evolution the "soul" still is an intangible quality bestowed by god on humankind and cannot happen naturally
>>
>>43686583
That's what I meant; orgasm and such is more pleasurable than normal pleasurable activities because of a correspondingly larger amount of hormones and brain chemicals released upon orgasm.

>>43688313
>being a faggot
>>
>>43686113

Learning was historically hand in hand with religion in medieval times, it has long since divorced from that.

The 2 things are simply not mutually exclusive

the same sadly holds true for academia
>>
>>43688369
That can be easily fixed with a jury rigged aquarium pump.
>>
>>43688490

>implying I'm not one
>>
>>43688506

The most pressing problems is the male gender incapacity to properly store fats, you would have pumps clogged up with fat and shit.

Women main problems can eb easily solved by replacing the skeleton with titanium
>>
>>43688551
Lol fagget

>>43688564
But to fix women, you'd not only have to strengthen their skeleton, but also ther muscles and also fix their brains.
>>
>>43679174
I'm pretty sure removing male nipples without horrific consequences would be impossible, and attempts to do so would probably fuck over human foetal development in a terrible way.

A child forming in the womb is a fucking insane thing and is ridiculously complex. (as in the large amount of interacting parts complex)
>>
>>43688988
>and attempts to do so would probably fuck over human foetal development in a terrible way.
Wut?
>>
>>43686113
>The Big Bang theory was created by a priest. Learning is historically hand-in-hand with religio
That Church offered to endorse his theory. He refused in the name of secularism.
>>
>>43690062
Baby making is difficult, attempts to mess with it are even more difficult. IIRC nipple formation happens early on, before the 'make it male' stuff kicks in. So you'd need to have something that retroactively removes them (in which case you'd be adding even more stuff to the delicate cocktail that is the womb) or somehow delay the formation until after make it male is determined.

Hell just look at what happens when imbalances/thing overreact in the womb and you get the myriad of disorders and birth defects you can see in human population. Some aren't too hindering, some are extensively hindering.

There are disorders that cause bones to never fully form, that's how ridiculously delicate stuff happening in the womb is.
>>
>>43678336
wouldn't the ship become over-populated after some time?
>>
>>43690062
I also assumed (possibly wrongly) in my first post here >>43690271 that it was being engineered rather than bred for.

But even if you about it by picking male members of the human population (rather than any kind of direct engineering) those who lack nipples usually lack them due to a series of disorders with wider reaching effects, and inbreeding their offspring a bunch will probably make these (hereditary) disorders have worse effects.
>>
>>43690271
So what you're saying is that we need to reach Qu-tier levels of genetic fuckery.
>>
>>43690620
It's just an absurd thing to make happen, it might be possible eventually, but again you're adding an extra part into a process that is extremely complicated and reacts badly to any kind of fuckups. You might end up adding more potential disorders into the list of things that can go wrong during foetal development and have people born with their skin removed by the thing that gets rid of nipples or something. It just seems really dangerous to introduce into a population for nothing but an aesthetic payoff.
>>
>>43690762
>It just seems really dangerous to introduce into a population for nothing but an aesthetic payoff.
>implying aesthetics isn't worth it
Breh, what's the point in the species existing if we don't look god-like while doing so?
>>
>>43690801
But would you sacrifice the stability of the human race to do so?

Especially considering that many people would disagree with you saying no nipples looks better.
>>
>>43674773
>would be like a functional, benevolent version of Communism.
No such thing, and i started the thread suspending enought disbelief to accept a generation ship.
>>
>>43690849
>But would you sacrifice the stability of the human race to do so?
Only if doing so had a 99.5% chance or greater to not fuck over humanity.
I'd say that those people have shit taste, and that nipples only look good on women.

>>43690856
Assuming humanity succesfully creates a friend computer with a near-omniscient knowledge of the wants and needs of those under it's jurisdiction, along with its production and trade capabilities, communism would -technically- be possible.
>>
>The generation catches up to, and rides in the midst of, the radio broadcasts of the 1930s-1950s

What happens?
>>
>>43691015
They enjoy the golden age of American civilization, culture, society, and morals. Upon landing, they turn the entire planet into what Columbia ought to have been.
>>
>>43690964
I'd say there's close to a 100% certainty that whatever process you engineer in to remove nipples has a chance to go wrong and cause some kind of birth defect.

Obviously the chances of that defect happening are probably going to be pretty damn low, but still you will be introducing new birth defects into your ship population.

So I don't know how you want to judge that 99.5%, since less than 0.5% of people will probably have a disorder or defect resulting from the a complication off the process you engineered, but you will almost definitely (like 99.99 recurring %) be introducing problems.
>>
>>43691070
worth it
>>
Guys, why are we putting human bodies on the ship at all?

Why not download a thousand or so minds into a pleasant virtual reality, jam a couple thousand vials of preserved eggs and sperm into cold storage, and add a robot for every human mind to operate once they get to the planet for colonization and settlement construction?

If you do it right you're not even risking any loves beyond the copies, who only run the minor risk of becoming trapped in an eternal digital nightmare.
>>
>>43683584
"DIRK HARDPEC!"
"CRUNCH SLABGROIN!"
"BUFF DRINKLOTS!"
"ROLL FIZZLEBEEF!"
"BOB JOHNSON... wait."
>>
>>43690964
>Assuming humanity succesfully creates a friend computer with a near-omniscient knowledge of the wants and needs of those under it's jurisdiction, along with its production and trade capabilities, communism would -technically- be possible.

Sounds exactly like MULTIVAC from Asimov novels.

Better yet, it's worth mentioning that MULTIVAC was entirely benevolent, the most violent thing it's ever done was beg for death because, as you said, it was assigned all the troubles of the world and can't deal with it.
>>
>>43691040

Or they listen to Hitler and Nazi propaganda.
>>
>>43683786
Exactly.

The ship actually passed its destination over 100 years ago and has no delta-vee left to reverse course or slow down.

Anyone who points this out gets spaced.
>>
>>43691150
Poor Jeb.
>>
>>43691141
To be honest, either are acceptable.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 288x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 288x413
>>43686108
>>43686093
Protestant heretics are so cute! They think they're people!
>>
>>43686093
>>43686108
>Protestants
Ayy lmao.
>>
>>43686113
>>catholic church is hugely corrupt and molests kids, but at least they don't take genesis literally
>>also believes pope is supreme pontiff when the church had always functioned on a first among equals model until the pope got his own pet "Roman" emperor
Citation needed on both.
>>
Daily reminder that both Theistic Catholicism and Secular Catholicism are the only acceptable moral and belief systems.
>>
>going through this much trouble to preserve outdated meat technology

Fuck the human form senpai. Our descendants WILL colonize the stars, but their souls will be couched in binary, not nucleotides. Robots, not apes.
>>
>>43690964
You of course realize that this would obsolete mankind and would make the whole point of space colonization moot.
Ian Banks shows it in his culture series: we only ever read about people in "Special Circumstances" because everyone else is fucking and drugging the existential crysis out of their head.
>>
>>43691226
Vedic Hinduism is pretty based IMO.
>>
>>43691226
Whatever would secularist catholicism even mean?
>>
>>43674660
yeah basically. Blind faith and ruthless totalitarianism would be the only way to stave off crippling nihilism when you and everyone you've ever known or will know is just a middle transaction in a big picture so far gone that no one has retained any agency, and so far from completion that you'll never see the fruits of your labor.
>>
>>43691189
>>43691202
Fucking telepaths.
>>
>>43691319
>You of course realize that this would obsolete mankind and would make the whole point of space colonization moot.
That's implying that humanity doesn't become the friend computer(s)

>>43691324
>Eastern religions
No.
>>
>>43691342
"I'm going to follow pretty much all the rules and morals of the Catholic church, but I also don't believe in God, nor in Jesus as the son of god."

Basically it's just fedora tipping where that fedora's personal morality aligns with Catholic doctrine.
>>
>>43691365
Your adoptive super AI son with all your memories still isn't You desu sempai.
>>
>>43691387
I am not Me either, anon.
>2015
>believing consciousness to be a singular, unbroken entity
>implying "you" don't die and are reborn several million times a second
>>
>>43691365
>Implying there is only one path to God
>Implying one man has a monopoly on holiness

This is my biggest gripe with Christianity, and also the reason why I only ever read the Bible as a student --not a devotee. Was Christ very close to God? I believe so. Was he the only prophet of his caliber in the history of the world? Hell no.
>>
>>43691300
Of course, but they can still LOOK like humans.
>not wanting humanity's prodigy to be aesthetic as fuck
>not wanting to have your meatbrain transplanted into a perfectly engineered robo-body with high density nano-muscles and damage-resistant alabaster skin.
>>
File: SmugWeeabooRobot.jpg (106 KB, 1165x660) Image search: [Google]
SmugWeeabooRobot.jpg
106 KB, 1165x660
>>43691442
>panorthodoxy
>panthesists
>gnostics
>>
>>43691385
I guess at least the intentions are good, and catholic ethic philosophy is very developed, so they could be doing worse.
>>
>>43691420
I gear this bullshit every time some trashumanist gets out his cave.
No, the fact my cells react with homo a and neurotrasmissors and that most of them dies and is sobstitute d by other similar cells doesn't make "me" into "not-me". Anyone saying this fails at biology forever.
>>
>>43691565
>Anyone saying this fails at biology forever.
It seems like you failed English pretty hard.

Fun fact: Every atom in your body is replaced with a year; "you" are not the actual cells that make up your brain, but rather the pattern arising from the processes within your brain, however, this pattern is discrete.
>>
>>43691442
Jesus wasn't just any Holy Man. The've been thousands of those; some closer to the mark than others but all humans and fallible. Revelation means God incarnating to talk to us and explain what we got right and what we got wrong.
>>43691469
Gnosticism is Just satanism by another name. It's all there: humans being divinized, God being Actually an asshole because he won't give You Everything You want forever so the world is an horrible prison; You yes YOU personally being the smartest man alive; the one that figured the cospiracy out and now lives a life above and beyond that of the sheeple... A Christian Gnostic is a contradiction of terms.
>>
>>43691623
1) my iphone fails at autocorrect pretty hard.
2) no, my neurons for one never get sobsituted they're a certain number and those up to death. Even if you were right however this lune of argument doesn't make sense. You're arguing that since your nails grow and You have to cut them every week, You actually have no nails.
>>
>>43691685
>humans being divinized
Well, to be fair, even as an atheist I consider humans to be the closest thing to "divine" there is, whatever that word means; there's certainly potential at least.

Call it naive optimism, arrogance, or what have you, but I like to think that humans are pretty damn good on the whole.
>>
>>43691747
>no, my neurons for one never get sobsituted they're a certain number and those up to death.
Lolnope; even if you did have a certain, set number of Neurons from birth to death, they still flush out old molecules and consume new ones. They're constantly being tore down and rebuilt.

>Even... nails.
My argument is that consciousness is a "snapshot" of the processes occurring in your brain; these are just so fast that it appears to be a continuous experience. The person you were a year, month, or day ago is dead; you just don't notice because how similar you are to him.
>>
File: robosnipes.jpg (348 KB, 1169x1653) Image search: [Google]
robosnipes.jpg
348 KB, 1169x1653
>>43691446
>Choosing form over function
>>
>>43691747
This talking about cells.
When we talk about atoms the things get even dumber.
A molecule of glucose doesn't change it's nature as long as it mantains the same formula and stereoisomery. You can oxidate and reduce it in the same ways thousands of times and as long ad You have energy it'll always be a molecule of glucose.
The fact that some atoms got "exchanged" in the process is immaterial: its the same thing at the same space in the same way. It underwent reactions and that's it.
If there were two; they wouldn't be the same molecule, they each would have identity.
>>
>>43691851
>implying the human form isn't suited for most relevant functions

>>43691865
>If there were two; they wouldn't be the same molecule, they each would have identity.
Well, to be fair, they technically do once you get into quantum wankery. I don't know anything about that however, so I won't talk about it.
>>
>>43691851
>function
>that image
>>
>>43691849
From development to death.
I don't care if they're "rebuilt"; it's still them with Smite same material in the same space and the same interactions with other things.
>>My argument is that consciousness is a "snapshot" of the processes occurring in your brain;
i understand your argument.
What i don't understand is your conclusion because it doesn't follow.
You don't think or act like you've got a Brand new set of teeth every few years, because You brush.
>>43691785
We're animals and angels. Capable of good and Evil.
We live our life allways searching for something true, trustworthy, "infinite" of not in dimension at least in valor (a new theory that'll change physics forever, the great painting that'll create a new genre, the ideology that'll change the world and bring Justice to the land...) even if we've never seen or experienced anything like it. At the same time we get continuosly distracted by small, worthless passing pleasures. This is because we're homesick for Heaven. We long the one thing we can't have in this universe, God Allmighty.
And He Came to us and fulfilled us.
The only way in wich we're divine is in how much work we put into imitating Him (read "The Imitation of Christ"), trying to be "divine" on our strenght result in milions of deaths, tyranny, obscurantism... Satanism.
Satanism is not nevessarily to worship Satan. Just doing as he does is more than enought.
>>
>>43691913
>quantum wankery
Quantum wankery doesn't Mean You get a "get out of cause and effect free" Card. It Just means cause and effect are a WAY more complex system than we tought.
>>
>>43677363
>They would have to either abort one of the twins or one of the parents has to commit suicide to maintain the balance.
This has to be the most retarded and edgy solution possible.
>>
>>43692171
Typical social engineering.
>>
>>43691446
>>43691851
>>43691913

Guys, the robots would *have* to be humanoid otherwise the human mind operating them will go insane from the mind/body disconnect.

Haven't any of you played Soma?
>>
So all of this speculation begs the question, after humanity reaches this robotic divinity stage and leaves to colonize, what happens with all the niggers? Do they inherit the Earth?
>>
>>43694053
Genetic samples of all life on Earth (sans niggers) is collected and sequences, I.E. Titan A.E.; the Earth is then purged in holy flame, left to cool for a decade or so, and life is reintroduced.

After nature has re-established itself, the post-human ubermenschen who have at this point achieved technological apotheosis and become as gods return to Earth and construct glorious shining arcologies, enjoying harmonious co-existence with, but ultimately being above, nature.
>>
>>43678958
my job was fine when it was just white guys
now there's everythign and its horrible
>>
>>43678958
>equal ratio of men to women
Everything is good.
>more men than women by a significant amount, 65% or more
Nothing gets done because men are fighting over women.
>all men
Everything is good because there are no women for men to fight over.
>more women than men by a significant amount, 65% or more
Nothing gets done because women are fighting over men.
>all women
Nothing gets done because women are fighting each other because there's no men to fight over.

Either go 50/50, or go all men; women can't be trusted to play nice with each other.
>>
>>43678958
>At work
>Entire management is all women over 40
>Every other week, they fire exactly 10 people.
>If they can't find anyone worth firing, they randomly pick people including lower grade supervisors
>Each termination is done with all of them sitting in and basically shitting on you for 30 minutes before making you sign the termination papers
>They throw cake parties for themselves when they're done
>I stole their cakes when they canned me
>>
>>43678867
>dailymail
>>
>>43694560
>all men
Nothing gets done because men are fighting over traps.
>>
>>43694663
>letting traps into your company
It's usually good sense to find an excuse to not hire the mentally ill.
>>
>>43694676
You don't run a successful business without office homosexuality anon.
>>
>>43694716
Trannies aren't homos anon, they're mentally defective. You may as well hire furries in fursuits.
>>
File: Guide.jpg (103 KB, 595x361) Image search: [Google]
Guide.jpg
103 KB, 595x361
>>43694716
Refer to guide.
>>
>>43694750
traps aren't transexuals anon, they're just cross dressers.
>>
I'd imagine it starts out as a strict society that's already prepared for the journey. So they have a pre-established hierarchy (presumably with a captain at the top). So they already thought about resource consumption and inbreeding and everything. So it's not so much a question of society developing, as it is of where it goes from there.

The next question is: How long are they underway? What are the logistics? The arbitrary minimum for a generation ship would be 100 years. Enough time for one generation to mostly die on the ship, and the next to grow up there. Usually it's assumed they are travelling much longer. Certainly they have a destination in mind, at least. The ship probably also has a store of fuel or some other resource to slow the ship down once the destination comes into reach. The engines and associated resources would be some of the most important things on the ship.

Overall a ship like this requires a lot of expertise to keep functioning. Parts that break need to be replaced, and those replacements need to be manufactured on site. Even to operate stuff like fusion reactors you need a lot of expertise. They're also certainly still looking at the stars, plotting their course, and marking points of interest along the way. If they need to gather resources, they might even stop at a star system on the way. This would be a dangerous thing to do, but given the glacial pace of travel, they can afford to train people years or decades in advance.

Decision-making on these things is probably a very slow process, ordinarily, only reverting back to snap-decision military command when problems arise. Overall, life on a generation ship would probably be uneventful. But there'd also be massive pressure to work for the community. Everyone knows everyone, and there's nowhere else to go. Plus, not meeting its expertise quota would be potentially disastrous.

Overall I predict it's a strict, boring society based entirely around the management of its finite resources
>>
>>43694798
This; the most "fun" thing they would do their would be more intellectual, or at the very least non-physical, games. You can't be losing your valuable specialists (of which EVERYONE would be, since there's no room for plebs) thanks to a micro-g football injury, and exercise would likely be tightly regulated and heavily monitored to make sure that no one hurts themselves.

In addition, I'm betting that alcohol would be prohibited, or at least prohibited above a certain strength, along with all drugs that induce a state of mind that is not conducive to work or safety; You can't have people high off their asses when shit needs to be done.

To combat this extremely limited form of recreation, they'd probably have to outright indoctrinate children from the get go to disdain anything but space-chess or what have you.
>>
>>43686054
He's a creationist. He left logic at the door a long time ago.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.