[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remove elves. Replace with protoss. Continued from >>43623793.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: Screenshot2015-11-15 16_53_46.jpg (689 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot2015-11-15 16_53_46.jpg
689 KB, 1920x1080
Remove elves. Replace with protoss. Continued from >>43623793.
>>
well last I was playing Dungeons the Dragoning, so The Eldarin are now The Conclave, the Elves are the Nerazim and the Dark Eldarin are the Tal'darim, potentially interesting implications for the Syrn, and possible drama with the Kythons
>>
>>43658156
dammit I fucking love these stupid Justice league style team line up shots, they are always kinda forced but it still puts a smile on my face
>>
File: Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg (48 KB, 433x440) Image search: [Google]
Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg
48 KB, 433x440
Alarak is fucking awesome.
I hope Blizzard will make more content that features him. The brief part where you got to control him was fun as fuck, especially because of his banter with Vorazun.
Also, his arrival to the Spear of Adun was bloody great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HElDA_hNuHQ
>>
>>43658541
you mentioned wanting him as Heroes of the storm character, I'm with you there, I wouldn't mind some kind of Hybrid as a playable myself
>>
>>43658541
His voice is pure sex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPaP6bptny4
>>
>>43658603
Alarak is voiced by the same guy who did Q on Star Trek isn't he?

Fenix also sounds like General Warfield with a lazy filter slapped on.
>>
>>43658156
Shadowrun becomes an even weirder setting, I guess. Not sure if our elf face man becomes more or less effective as a result.
>>
>>43658662
I think he is.
In any case, whoever voiced him really brought him alive.
>>
>>43658490
I always found it weird that not a single Protoss cheer after Artanis' speeches. I guess it's a polite thing and cheering reserved for lesser races with orifices.
>>
>>>43644885

Amon probably killed the Xel'naga again in the Void, he says that he's fought and killed them before in the final mission.

Killing Xel'naga does kind of mean Amon gets closer to winning anyway, because apparently they need a senior Xel'naga to sacrifice itself besides a purity of form and essence to ascend. This means Phoenix Force Kerrigan is the last one, and if she dies before finding a successor the cycle ends and Amon posthumously gets what he wants. Unless Raynor manages to impregnate Kerrigan with Xel'naga angel babies.
>>
>>43658490
Our mutual love of silly things is what binds us together, anon.
>>
>>43659290
might be like Japan, reverent silence is saved for the best of speeches and performances, a couple of the guys who worked on the first star wars movie though the Japaneses audience hated it because of this mix up
>>
>>43659319
that spoiler made me puke in my mouth, nearly everything about the Epilogue was utter bile, tacked on because they forgot to conclude the story in the protoss campaign (probably for the better in that regard as it was a better story for it)
>>
>>43660025
Agreed.
The Protoss campaign itself was bloody great, and I pretty much loved everything about it. The Epilogue was however, horrible, and dumb.
>>
>>43660197
Agreed except for the removal of the Khala.
If Amon's gone, the Khala is no longer a liability, and remains a strict advantage.
>>
>>43660242
Yeah.
It would be weird if it was not adopted again.
>>
>>43660242
I still say a war could break out over the reintroduction of the Khala. Would make for at least half a plotline.
>>
>>43660282
>I still say a war could break out over the reintroduction of the Khala.
I don't really see why, unless Khala membership is made compulsory which would go completely against the Protoss race's character development since vanilla SC.
>>
>>43660323
I could definitely see a traditionalist sort of faction emerging from the new unification. With the abolition of the caste system, it allows more lateral movement at all levels of protoss society. There's bound to be some malcontents that don't like the direction their society is going - think of Rohana as a microcosm of protoss attitudes. She's horribly racist and classist, and while she eventually seems to come to terms with it for the sake of the species, that kind of prejudice can't be overcome, overnight.
>>
>>43661120
That's a good point, perhaps have another protoss splinter faction that leaves to create their own Khala with caste system, blackjack and hookers?
>>
>>43661120
>>43661198
Which gives us the Khalai, Nerazim, Tal'Darim, Purifiers, and this hypothetical traditionalist faction.

Compare the Terrans, which have the Kel-Morians, the Umojans, the Dominion, and the Neo-Confederates, I guess.

Seems reasonable to me.
>>
>>43661414
What subfactions would the Zerg have?
Swarm, Feral and Hybrid-led?
>>
>>43661491
Pretty much. More if Zagara reintroduces Cerebrates, but I can't think of a reason to do that.
>>
>>43661491
That's easy. Individual ambitious brood mothers striking out on their own.
The Zerg are no longer bound to a single, overriding will without which they are directionless. Instead, each of the Brood Mothers are basically independent cerebrates that can do their own thing, but are held in line by the force of will and might of the one at the top of the hierarchy, be it Kerrigan, or now Zagara.

They are still not mentally slaved to the top like the Cerebrates were to the overmind.
>>
>>43661541
I'm not even sure if "feral" zerg would be a thing at this point. Wouldn't rogue hive clusters eventually spawn their own queens once they reach a certain population density? At which point, they stop being "feral" and become that queen's swarm.
>>
>>43661579
Yeah.
Kerrigan basically redesigned the swarm to be able to survive and exist without falling upon itself if the head gets axed, like what happened when the Overmind died.
>>
>>43661414
Doesn't the UED count as a faction of Terrans?
>>
File: 14439845333410.jpg (733 KB, 2400x3600) Image search: [Google]
14439845333410.jpg
733 KB, 2400x3600
>>43658156
They are shit because they can't perform blowjobs.
>>
>>43661620
Wrong part of the galaxy. Earth is a ways away and the UED hasn't bothered to follow up since Dugalle's expedition disappeared. There's actually a mercenary unit of UED Goliaths that were stranded in the Koprulu sector when the fleet pulled out.
>>
>>43661672
I wonder how mad the koreans would get if the UED got dropped in as faction #4
>>
>>43661697
I don't think they need to be a discrete faction. They're just Terrans with different unit skins. If anything, it'd be like the Templar/Dark Templar/Tal'darim/Purifier unit selections in LotV, same basic battlefield role, different abilities.
>>
>>43661619
>>43661579
>>43661541
so you might get factions that mingle with the Zerus packs and those like Abathur who think they should just be wiped out, and on top you get Hybrid survivors dealing with the fact that their God is fucking dead and his plan failed hard
>>
>>43662837
I think the less said about Zerus, the better. The Zerg homeworld is Char, now.
>>
>>43664538
okay the Primal Zerg are bit of a guilty pleasure for me based on the simple fact that, I liked their visual design
>>
>>43664647
I can't fault the art direction in StarCraft II, everything is very well realized and aesthetically pleasing. I just can't deal with the fact that they threw out everything about the zerg and Zerus. And, now, the xel'naga and the protoss, too. Retcons - especially sloppy, ugly retcons - infuriate me. It's lazy writing. It says, "I'm not clever enough to write myself out of this corner so I'll just contradict myself, instead."
>>
>>43665444
HotS particularly feels like it went through a major last minute re-write
>>
>>43665666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmC_6nfzVGE
>Uploaded Dec 26, 2010
All of the worst elements of Heart of the Swarm were already baked into the cake. There may have been some tweaks here or there, but for the ending to be that close to the final product, that far out, they already knew exactly where they were going.
>>
>>43658156
So how would Love Can Bloom be if LIVII fell for a Protoss?
>>
File: Spectre_SC2_Head2.jpg (26 KB, 577x637) Image search: [Google]
Spectre_SC2_Head2.jpg
26 KB, 577x637
>>43666089
One shot is all I need.
>>
File: Wyq52jj[1].png (355 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wyq52jj[1].png
355 KB, 768x1024
wait, how does this work
>>
>>43661619
I never understood that mindset. Only way you would give your "people" autonomy is if you cared about them. I just can't see Kerrigan caring about the zerg enough to give them power to function in her absence. Kerrigan was gunning straight for mengsk with no regard after all
>>
>>43666158
It never occurred to me until now to ask, but how do protoss breed?
>>
>>43661697
>>43661811
There are so many unit variations now, I actually suspected that we were at risk of a 9 faction game.
reminder that Dustin Bowder's background is command and conquer, although he wasn't responsible for kane's wrath as far as i know, it feels dangerously possible.
I'm not actually afraid of that gameplay wise, because I guess i can deal with learning 6 additional matchups

however, plotwise, they did close most of the plot threads from the first game, but almost all of those plot threads were already closed! throughout the 3.5 campaigns in star2, it was really clear that nobody from the original starcraft team was around to reign in the plot threads. The best addition was retroactively lionizing the overmind's motivations making him into a fully badass planner with a death gambit, but SPESS SATAN is not a compelling antagonist, and then shoving him into IT WAS I, SPESS DIO SATAN ALL ALONG and making him responsible for everything the xel'naga did, duran, and adun did is absurd.
how is he even responsible for the khala, that shit was invented by adun, after the xel'naga, retconned to just be amon, abandoned the protoss because they lost the psionic link they had before any xelnaga interference at all.

its like they didnt understand the characterization from from the first game, and just reassigned generic protagonist roles to returning characters, and it feels poorly executed
>>
>>43666438
Osmosis, though since protoss are an "artificial" race I wouldnt be surprised if breeding by mixing genes in a tube wasnt placed by the Xel'naga when they started their upbringing.
>>
I only played Wings of Liberty, not continuing on because the game left a sour taste in my mouth.

Is it true that FENIX THE MAN is back in Legacy of the Void?
>>
>>43666580
Sort of?
>>
>>43666580
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Kind of, but still no.
>>
>>43666438
>>43666570
they arent artificial though. blizz cant even remember for lotv, that they had psychic link before any xelnaga, before the aeon of strife, before adun, before dark templar. they always had it, lost it due to various reasons, and got it back via the khala or something.

anyway, they photosynthesize, so reproduction probably is modeled after similar plant xenobiology.

>>43666580
less true than you'd hope.
also he has much less impact than you'd hope.
and his character resists damage, much less than you'd hope.

whatever happened to daggoth?
>>
Races are a way for stupid people to rp, sorry to say

You can either be your races stereotype, or base your character around fulfilling some role that is the opposite of the stereotype for randumb

no elves for us
>>
>>43666059
that some how is worse, because in my head the only reason for Kerrigen just FLYING away had to have been something pulled out of one's ass at the last moment, the fact that they came up with this for this long and honest to god thought it was a good idea.... at least we didn't have to hear her pontificate about how the Zerg are free when they explicitly need purpos to live
>>
>>43666649
>whatever happened to daggoth?
presumably killed by either the UED or Kerrigen in the Brood wars
>>
>>43667043
I assume kerrigan offed him, but they didnt even give him a footnote about it. Wasnt his brood the hero brood? devouring ones, hunter killers, unclean ones, yggdrasils were all his strains, and he controlled over half the swarm during broodwar and was the driving force for all the non jormungandr brood zerg actions, such as reforming the overmind and stuff, to off him offscreen with no fanfare is one thing, but that shouldn't be a trivial fight for kerrigan, jormungandr was a smaller brood
>>
>>43667135
actually Jormungandr was one of the larger broods and the Brood the player Cerebrates command are a detachment of that swarm, I agree Daggoth should have gotten a proper on screen death
>>
>>43665444
The stuff about Xel'naga and the Protoss in LotV didn't feel like as big of a slap on the face retcon as the Primal Zerg shit felt.
>>
YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS
>>
>>43667035
>the fact that they came up with this for this long and honest to god thought it was a good idea
is anyone really surprised, though?

I mean, when is the last time they honestly made a good story? Fifteen years ago?
>>
>>43667526
agreed, back in the old starcraft days I had assumed the Xel'naga were abusive or apathetic precursors to start, so them and the Khala being the work of the villain gelled well, the Primal Zerg while cool looking, were utterly divorced from what the instruction manuals had, mentioned of their ancestral forms, leading to me assuming they must have been a sort of prototype zerg before the overmind controlled version was created
>>
>>43661414
Weren't the tal'darim originally supposed to be that hyper traditionalist faction until they became pre-khala protoss murder hobos?
>>
>>43666649
>blizz cant even remember for lotv, that they had psychic link before any xelnaga, before the aeon of strife, before adun, before dark templar. they always had it, lost it due to various reasons, and got it back via the khala or something.

Notice that in LoTV they can still communicate without mouths. So they still have some psychic connection.

It's presumable they are reliant on the Khala for it at this point and redeveloping it would be troublesome.

Actually it'd be interesting if that was one of the changes that Amon put in place. Limited their ability to form that link without aid and set up them having to create an artificial link in the far future. Which Amon could then fuck with.

>>43667554
I mean Blizzard has always had kind of basic to a bit above basic stories. What they've actually lost is how they tell them. SC1 has some parallel story telling by jumping from one perspective/faction/side to another. Same with Warcraft 3. It creates a feeling that the story being told is one of the race/side/army. All of their more recent works have had a horrible "giant talking heads" problem where they stick way too tight to one protagonist/antagonist.

It's method of story telling that works great in an MMO where someone might be fucking around for a days before getting back to the story. It really doesn't frame the kind of stories they told in their other game genres well at all.

>>43667526
>>43667619
Agreed primal Zerg felt very awkward. Though when I put a primal and a Protoss next to each other in front of that Xel'Naga temple in my mind's eye it looks appropriate.

Also where the hell does humanity fit into this whole giant space cthulian elephant plan anyway?
>>
>>43667714
>Also where the hell does humanity fit into this whole giant space cthulian elephant plan
It doesn't, humans are not native to the khoprulu sector. I was kind of hoping humanity would be the x factor to change shit but.. Oh well.

The changes to the Xel'naga were stupid as hell, the tale of the Xel'naga was originally one of hubris- when their pet protoss didn't behave exactly as they wanted they abandons abandoned them, and when they uplifted the zerg they created a monster they couldn't control and it consumes them. The only thing about the new plot I like is adding depth to the Overmind, who I felt should have been some kind of super wise mind created from the union of a zerg infesting a Xel'naga and his goal was just to create the ultimate lifeform.and usher in universal peace.
>>
>>43667714

>Also where the hell does humanity fit into this whole giant space cthulian elephant plan anyway?

There wasn't a specific place for any species in the true xel'naga plan, they were just waiting for any species to evolve naturally to the point they could be ascended but Amon messed it up.

As Xel'naga were almost all killed there can be no further ascensions as they were required to sacrifice themselves to complete the process. Kerrigan was just strong enough to fulfill the requirements due to her zerg hybridization and psionic powers, but she is the only Xel'naga (but see >>43659319)
>>
>>43667464
huh, i always thought the brood under the player's command was jormungandr, but that makes sense considering the purple zerg in brood war UED missions. Actually that reminds me, those purple zerg were feral for a few missions and had to be exterminated, kerrigan's fighting force couldnt have been the entirety of jormungandr even in BW, until a certain point since she had to trick people into helping her. I can accept that she kills the cerebrates after repelling mengsk, the protoss, and slaughtering the UED, but seriously, Daggoth was plot important enough to not only need an onscreen death, but a justification for how in the world regular zerglings and hydra are supposed to be devouring ones, hunter killers, and unclean ones, and this is assuming he didnt have torrasques.

>>43667554
I can still remember almost the entire script of starcraft 1 and broodwar. the zerg opening monologue was extremely powerful
>awaken my child and embrace the glory that is your birthright
>if ever your flesh should fail, that flesh shall be made anew
there are almost no lines as powerful or chilling in the entire star2 sequence. the best they can do was in a trailer, and only because "hell, it's about time" is short enough to easily remember.
the game is stuffed full of one note characters that exist only to be storytelling devices for the protagonist of the campaign. Stettman exists just to be a hollywood sounding nerd so that raynor can ignore him. Zagara exists just to be the audience surrogate, and perhaps most egregiously, zeretul dies to push motivation onto artanis, after 17 fucking years of saving the galaxy, he becomes a weak plot device.

>>43667619
the xelnaga werent even responsible for the khala, it was created after the xelnaga abandoned them. that abandonment caused the aeon of strife, which was ended by adun's creation of the khala.
and that's ignoring that before all of that happened, when the xelnaga found them originally, they already had a psionic link.
>>
>>43667714
No! I don't mean that they're psychic, I mean they had a link that connected them all, the way the khala does, before the xelnaga arrived. infact, this trait was what made the xelnaga interested in the first place! and the decay of this natrual ability, implied as a result of xelnaga revealing themselves and *social* tampering, was what caused the xelnaga to abandon them, leading to the aeon of strife and the loss of the link.
at one point it was implied that this psychic link was purity of form, but it was only implied once and rather weakly.

for comparison, the overmind was essentially created to psionically link all zerg, who had purity of essence.
the concept of purity of form and purity of essence wasnt even simultaneous. xelnaga were looking for form first, and when that failed, they looked for essence. it makes no goddamn sense that it was prophesied on stone tablets, because the concepts didnt exist until they created them, in a goddamn sequence.

if anything, originally, the xelnaga's interference was what fucked it up. they had purity of form and purity of essence, but the gods tinkering and genetic engineering caused it to go to shit, and presumably, the zerg fucked up the xelnaga in their progression.
originally this was what killed them all.
they fucked with the protoss, and when they decided to dump them like a bastard boyfriend, the protoss killed most of them.
not wanting to repeat the same mistake, they decided that purity of form was garbage, and tried for a different kind of purity, but guess what, that killed the remainder of them

>>43667740
because it was originally a tale of hubris. you have the right idea. had the xel'naga not fucked with anything, they would still be alive. it's nonsense that amon killed them all, because the protoss and the zerg killed them all 17 years ago! adding the motivation to the overmind was the only good part of the writing, but they introduced it by leaping through huge plotholes.
>>
>>43667755
Even that's stupid and inconsistent. They treat the cycle as if it's the xel'naga's reproductive cycle - they inseminate the universe with life and eventually, one of the myriad species they spawn gestates into a new baby xel'naga - but Kerrigan's ascension is zero sum; she replaces Ouros, who transfers all of his energy into her so she can become the Phoenix Force.
>>
>>43668676
I think that Ouros transferred the energy in order for Kerrigan to be able to kill off Amon, not so that Kerrigan would continue the cycle or something.
I mean, Amon had by all means, ended the cycle by killing off most of the Xel'naga, and disrupting the development of the races, and there was nothing Ouros could do to fix it. However, trough Kerrigan, he could still have his vengeance upon Amon.
>>
>>43667778
Adun didn't discover the Khala, that was Khas.

Adun was the one who exiled/saved the the Dark Templar from the Conclave
>>
>>43668744
he even says so, with that end of eternity bullshit
>>
So was that Nova in the ending with Raynor at the bar?
>>
>>43668799
kerrigan
>>
>>43668805
But I though Kerrigan was being Xel'Naga somewhere? Considering Nova is geting a set of missions soon. It makes sense?
>>
>>43668799
>>43668805
>>43668808
It was Raynor's drunken fever dream.
>>
Will we ever here from Raynor's son who was psychic?
>>
>>43668827
Probably not. It's expanded universe bullshit, which means that Blizzard is even less beholden to it than they are to their core continuity - which, as we've already seen, is not at all.

>>43668808
Kerrigan is off being xel'naga somewhere. She came down from space heaven to rapture Raynor away, which is why he was never heard from again. They're in love, you see, and love conquers all.
>>
>>43668827
>implying metzen will use him when they have a juicy human/zerg/xel'naga hybrid child cooking
>>
>>43668827
he'll be the main character of StarCraft 3 Terran Campaign
>>
Raynor's first wife is superior
>>
>>43668899
tell me about her
>>
>>43668890
Valerian's personal bodyguard?
>>
>>43668907
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Lidya_Raynor
>>
>>43668921
thats it?
>>
>>43668933
well you can read Liberty's Crusade
>>
>>43668941
I read knaak and golden for warcraft lore
it makes gW books look like high literature
>>
>>43668954
This. Knaak is awful. Liberty's Crusade is awful.
>>
Why didnt kerrigan turn into some sort of flying angel looking ship, then they made the kerrigan in the bar be a very convincing long range illusion she made to help raynor get over the loss? Why metzen writes bad fanfiction?
>>
Was it ever explained why Kerrigan sat on her arse for a decade and let everyone (somehow) rebuild?
>>
>>43669025
they pumped out a shitty book
>>
>>43658156
>Pretending that protoss are not just an elf reskin
Whats next? saying that zerg aren't orcs?
>>
>>43669056
Was it ever explained why the creative talent got sucked out of blizzard?
>>
>>43669078
Metzen had his soul eaten.
>>
>>43669078
cocaine, and a huge part of the original blizzard team left after WoW became a thing and ended any chance of a wc4
>>
File: AndyChambers.jpg (11 KB, 200x283) Image search: [Google]
AndyChambers.jpg
11 KB, 200x283
>>43669171
I blame Andy Chambers. He was credited as Lead Story Writer for Wings if Liberty and he introduced all of the 40k-lite bullshit into the series. Even now that he's gone, the damage is done. I am absolutely convinced that they're still working from his outline.
>>
>>43669253
Can his presence explain Diablo 3 and the main WoW stories, though?
>>
>>43669293
WoW's story has always been kind of a train wreck because Warcraft's story has always been kind of a train wreck. There were liberties taken with established plot points in Warcraft III, remember, and it was from that tainted well that World of Warcraft now flows.

Diablo has never been good, however. The first game wasn't even developed by Blizzard, they just acquired the studio that did, which became Blizzard North; Diablo II was considered a hot mess at the time, too, it just wasn't hampered by an annoying sidekick and crippling technical issues at launch.
>>
>>43669350
>wc3 story was a trainwreck
it was a good story that was far more character driven than before.
blizzard shit the bed with Burning crusade
>>
>>43669350
>Diablo has never been good, however. The first game wasn't even developed by Blizzard, they just acquired the studio that did, which became Blizzard North; Diablo II was considered a hot mess at the time, too, it just wasn't hampered by an annoying sidekick and crippling technical issues at launch.
According to the dev diaries of D3, the biggest part was the plot because there was literally no plot and no communication between the different deparments. That is, diablo 1 had an opening and ending animation. The opening one was "just make something spooky looking" and the ending the art deparment decided to have him jam the gem into his own head on a whim because "it looked cool" when he was supposed to destroy it, and the deparment that put everything together only got that video a week before the game came out.
Likewise with D2 there was a lot of winging it going on.
So for D3 which was a big budget title suddenly and was taken seriously they set out to make the plot ahead of time, and the first thing was actually even managing to come up with a plot at all that was internally consistent with the first two games with minimal to no retcons.
>>
>>43669384
I agree, WC3 was the best in the series.
>>
wow, this forest sure is a lot less cunt-y than I remember.
>>
>>43669422
not in the least because it had grimness juxtaposed with the cartoonish vibe they were going for.
>>
>>43669405

This. Metzen says that he made the first Diablo ending like that to riff on Exorcist, but didn't mean the universe to be really grimdark.

>It soon becomes clear that total hopelessness, or a bleak outlook on human nature, hold no interest to Metzen as a storyteller, though he admits some responsibility for introducing the theme to Diablo. "I think at the end of the first game I had written that the hero takes Diablo through the stone into himself. It was a riff on the ending of the Exorcist movie. It's so bleak and bittersweet at the end of that game. But I think the dev team had gotten this impression that Diablo stories by definition have to be bleak, always, every time, there is no hope, there is no light. And I've always contended with that. I think that that is a ridiculous conclusion."

Though even Diablo 3 is grimdarker than other Blizzard games, every host of Diablo is screwed, there's that woman in the expansion who's forcibly transformed into demon and you have to kill her etc etc.
>>
>>43669631
blizzard games aren't grimdark by any stretch of the imagination.
>literally hate righteous retribution
its sad to see WoW become this, when in Wc3 you had the story embark you on a crusade into the lands of the undead to kill a demon lord
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (16 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
16 KB, 1280x720
>>43669712
>blizzard games aren't grimdark by any stretch of the imagination.
They used to be.
>>
>>43669738
well, compared to WH40k, it is pretty lighthearted
>>
>>43669747
40K used to be a parody.

Well, it's still a parody, only a bad one.
>>
>>43669747

And Fantasy. The storyline difference between Blizzard games and Warhammers is that in the latter it was said in the very beginning (like WFRP 1st edition) that Chaos will eventually win. So it should not come as a surprise it does.

Metzen says that he wants storylines to be inspirational so the biggest baddest guy winning isn't going to happen there.
>>
>>43669769
That's a recent development because Brood War ended on such a downer. Kerrigan was ascendant, freed from the Overmind's control but unrepentantly evil; General Duke, Fenix and Raszagal were dead; the UED expeditionary force had been repelled and destroyed; the Dominion was in taters, Mengsk was only still alive so that he could witness Kerrigan's systematic destruction of everything he'd achieved; Raynor was on the run; and Duran was revealed to be an agent of a new, mysterious power with some kind of connection to the Xel'naga.

It was such an incredibly bleak cliffhanger. How do the heroes recover? Humanity is on the ropes, the Protoss are all but extinct and the Zerg are rampaging unchecked across the sector! Whatever hope remained for Kerrigan's redemption had been crushed beneath her chitinous heel as she fully embraced her role as the Queen of Blades and perhaps the one man in the galaxy who had ever truly cared for her has sworn to see her dead by his hand.

Well, as it turns out, they don't need to because the Zerg promptly disappear and everything returns to the status quo. Oh, and by the way, it's a love story so Kerrigan wasn't responsible for any of her actions while under Amon's control. Boy, do I feel inspired! That's some inspirational writing, right there.
>>
>>43669758
40k used to be a pastiche, that was grimdark and yet cool and inspiring in it's own way. Not shining heroes in armor inspiring, but red army choir inspiring
but then I am an IGfag.
>>
>>43658156
What with sith and robocop protoss?
>>
>>43671060
Purifiers are robot Protoss; Tal'darim are Sith Protoss.
>>
>>43669939
I'm telling you some one in blizzard just snapped and got sick of bad ends to the point That they would allow any sort if schmatz
>>
>>43671411
>sith
they are dark eldar to the core
>>
>>43672093
Seemed more Drow to me.
>>
>>43669758
Sincerity and parody are not binary states.
You could say it used to take itself less seriously in the past, but it was by no means a parody.
>>
>>43669738
>>43669747
>dem terran brood war cinematics

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-00uQzXyujI
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uIt4tmkvVtE

Brood War seriously has some of Blizzard's Best cinematics, even if they're obviously inspired by Apocalypse Now, especially because of that actually.
>>
>>43669939
>Well, as it turns out, they don't need to because the Zerg promptly disappear and everything returns to the status quo

Guess someone's memory is rusty? Kerrigan returned it to status quo at end of BW.

> Oh, and by the way, it's a love story so Kerrigan wasn't responsible for any of her actions while under Amon's control

Nobody denies this but Raynor. Noone.

Nobody even claims she was under Amon's control IC.
>>
>>43672444
The entire arc of Heart of the Swarm is all about how the Swarm is corrupted by Amon and Kerrigan was, too, until Raynor and company used the Keystone to purge her. It's a tacit acknowledgment that she can't be held accountable for her actions because lol corruption.

You don't need to have a character turn to the camera and address the audience, "Kerrigan can't be held accountable for her actions because lol corruption." It's all right there, already.
>>
>>43672093
Nah, its more sith, especially by the end of the campaign. At the beginning and in prior installments its more Chaos.

They're missing out on all dark eldar elements like power through pain, debauched practices that led to the fall of their interstellar empire (I'm sure the Tal'darim may have been debauched, but they mention that the Nerazim were also viewed as violent savages by the Judicators).
>>
>>43672656
>be corrupted
>do horrible shit
>not my fault cus corruption
>gets purged
>then get right back to your murderous rampage while spouting edgy oneliners and recorrupt yourself because you think someone killed your boyfriend

Same as orcs in Warcraft, sure they were corrupted, but MoP and WoD proved that they were cunts to begin with and that Daelin Proudmore was right.
>>
>>43672656
>The entire arc of Heart of the Swarm is all about how the Swarm is corrupted by Amon and Kerrigan was

>entire arc

Do you know what words mean? I'm honestly curious. "Entire" is a gross exaggeration. When the point is raised, that she may have been influenced by Amon, Kerrigan, despite not being sure of anything else she did as the Queen of Blades, is confident he was long dead. Whatever influence he had over her was soft control (fatalism etc.), since as the QoB she was still trying to get the artifact and stop the Moebius Foundation.

There also isn't any implication that the Swarm is no longer "corrupted" by Amon after Kerrigan is returned. That's why she has Abathur make the Brood Mothers as uncontrollable, dangerous, independent, and clever as possible.

>You don't need to have a character turn to the camera and address the audience, "Kerrigan can't be held accountable for her actions because lol corruption."

Sure you do. The protoss and Dominion sure as fuck hold her accountable, and she never contradicts this at all. She likewise never denies her responsibility.
>>
>>43672869
Ironically, Kerrigan, in all likelihood, killed more people with the Zerg as a Terran than as a Zerg.

There were probably, what, 6 billion (oy vey) people on Tarsonis? She even kills the Protoss to keep them from purging the Zerg. The number given in all direct accounts for how many people she killed as the QoB are "millions," all of her appearances in WoL are in places with Moebius installations or artifacts, and the only possible exception is an excerpt from the old UED newscast that said "casualties in the billions," referring to Zerg casualties caused by the UED.
>>
>>43672958
ackshually, the UED newcast said that zerg casualties were in the millions while having a number with so many digits I'm fairly sure it said it was in the TRILLIONS
>>
You know, as far as inoffensively heroic protagonists go, I like Artanis.
>>
>>43673089
I suppose you would like Rodimus Prime as well?
>>
>>43673391
>>43673089
Rodimus was alright, Artanis is better
>>
>>43673391
>>43673408

It isn't task at all to find a g1 Transformers counterpart for every Protoss character in Starcraft.
>>
>>43672958
>>43673029
I believe she's referred to as "The Worst Mass Murderer in History" in WoL with billions dead when she attacked the Dominion in SC2.

I read that Tarsonis had a population of 2 billion.

She killed quite a lot of Protoss in BW too, and caused the death of Aldaris, the Templar that stood with him, Fenix and the Dark Templar Matriarch.

She also orders some Brood Mothers to raze several planets for being major bases for military industry in HoTS.

She didn't do nuthin wrong doe.
>>
>>43673653
Medium mode: Only one char can be Optimus Prime
>>
>>43673708

Jean killed billions as the Dark Phoenix too, they had to retcon it to be the actions of a clone to keep her with the main cast. Blizzard at least didn't do that and sent Phoenix Kerrigan into parts unknown though she took Raynor with her.
>>
>>43673708
She killed a number of combatant and politically important protoss, but its not at all clear she had a worthwhile body count.

Its very likely that her body count as a good zerg was a hell of a lot higher than as a bad zerg, probably thousands of times worse.
>>
>>43673653
Simple, Tassadar
>>
Can't we just all agree that the galaxy is a much better place with Kerrigan out of the way?
>>
>>43673757
A couple times her hand was forced and she explicitly altered her tactics on korhal to allow civilian evacuation, of course the planet raising was a hole from an earlier build where those would be side missions to test out gene strains and such, much like the abathur missions, that they left the set up for them in despite the lack of plot relavence is bothersome
>>
>>43673757
Very likely. While she was crucial in the Zerg attack on Aiur, you can't really say she was responsible for it. The Protoss deaths from that period "don't count" as she didn't have free will.

Furthermore she was only under the Overmind's control for like, 2 months.

I didn't mean to imply that the Protoss body count was comparable to the Terran, only that after Aiur fell, every Protoss life got a hell of a lot more precious, so they might act like she killed the equivalent of billions of Protoss.

Also, Protoss don't forget shit like the murder of their most beloved leaders either.

>>43673748
Still hate it. I hate that Kerrigan got off just because "SHE IMPORTANTH" so they could have their goddamn love story.

Tychus was right, that bitch deserves a bullet in the head.

The epilogue of LoTV should have been a trial after which Kerrigan is summarily executed.

>Captcha was DEUS

God Wills It
>>
>>43674024
But redemption !
>>
>>43674101
I remember when starcraft was a tragic story, where good people turn irredeemably evil of their own will and have to be killed, none if this happy ending garbage
>>
>>43674135
Good thing starcraft is still a tragic story, not sure what you're on about.

Though the whole "good people turning irredeemably evil for no reason" stuff is basically just Brood War, with the only point of the expansion seeming to be that protoss aren't allowed to have nice things and to confirm that Kerrigan is now spitefully evil because ??reasons unrelated to zerg mind control?? Also she can mind control people now too?
>>
>>43674479
>that Kerrigan is now spitefully evil because ??reasons unrelated to zerg mind control??

Power corrupts, with the swarm Kerrigan held almost absolute power within the sector, besides her story was always one being used as a pawn by various powers (Confederacy, Mensgk, Overmind) that finally has her chance at freedom and rebellion and being the one in control and acting her revenge even if it meant sacrificing whatever humanity she had left.
>>
>>43674479
And don't forget that the home that you, dear viewer, live on is a shithole so much worse than the sisterfucking country music sector that you HAVE to sympathize with the Terrans.

Fuck the fact that Dugalle and Stukov are noble demons at worst.
>>
>>43674533

>Power corrupts

Its fine to create whatever motivation one desires for her, but she wasn't given one.

>revenge

It absolutely wasn't revenge, as she was particularly brutal with the protoss and particularly light on Mengsk, having saved the sector and turned it back over to him. Her being such a bitch to the Nerazim was particularly out of character, since they had saved her from the Overmind, and then with the cerebrates.
>>
>>43658156
I find this amusing considering Protoss is just Eldar, Terrains are Space marines, and Zerg is Tyranids. and Blizzard has been sued over Starcraft multiple times by GW and Blizzard lost every time... but yeah, no elves...
>>
>>43675438
>Blizzard has been sued over Starcraft multiple times by GW and Blizzard lost every time
You are welcome to point to just one court filing to support your assertion. Only one. All I need is a docket number.
>>
>>43658156
You know, I always wanted the UED remnants to play a much larger part in the story, specifically WoL. They could have gutted any number of the minor characters they added and replaced them with the UED captain instead, and have them acting as a form of reference to the previous Brood Wars era, with advocating for things such as Kerrigan's execution, outright war with the Dominion, reworking of UED tech as the reason for Raynor's Raiders having such weirdly advanced tech.

It would have been neat. That, and you could have had Stukov play a bigger role than he already did, considering that HotS was kinda shit. Although, I will give Blizz credit for him killing Narud, that was pretty neat.
>>
>>43672868
its blizzard version of dark eldar.
family friendly and safe like coldsteel the hedgehog
>>
>>43674628
>turned it back over to him

No. She left him on a ruined planet with minimal forces so he could watch as she stomped everything he wanted into the dust and take control of 'his' sector. Well, that was how it supposed to go at least.
>>
>>43677766
It would have been nice it worked out that way.
>>
>>43678568

>Kerrigan finishes stomping the Terrans and Protoss, then sets off for earth
>UED fighting a losing battle when suicidal Protoss remnants, led by Zeratul, show up
>Kerrigan still slowly winning until suddenly, hybrids
>butthurt Xel'naga who survived the Zerg and Protoss are back
>time to slap their traitorous children down
>>
File: adept.webm (1 MB, 1920x1000) Image search: [Google]
adept.webm
1 MB, 1920x1000
This is a protoss thread. Post more protoss.
>>
>>43675467
>>43675438

>He can't find one
>The trial took place in his rectum, where the courts have no jurisdiction.

But seriously, copying is still copying, but Blizzard's IP is different enough from 40k that if a court ruled in favor of GW (probably through clerical error) it'd probably be immediately overturned.
>>
>>43680162
Considering how GW got BTFO when they tried to sue Chapterhouse - which was a high-profile IP infringement lawsuit against a one-man operation being represented pro bono?
>>
>>43658541

I loved Alarak. This is pretty much how you do an "edgy" character right. Him showing up in HotS would definitely sign me up to play.
>>
>>43680529
holy shit, all you'd have to do for the ice planet arc is replace daelam protoss evacuating to Shakuras with his Taldarim, evading to Slayn, suddenly Kerrigan looks alot less bitchy
>>
>>43680054
Goddamn, that 'toss is stacked. Look at dem titties.
>>
>>43680529
Same here. Blizzard can't just forget a character as smug and badass as he was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPaP6bptny4
>>
>>43680054
>>43680988
Why would protoss have titties?
>>
>>43658603
I think i just orgasmed with that voice...
>>
>>43681257
For the porn, obviously.
>>
>>43681257
What, you thought hybrids were exclusively Protoss/Zerg?
>>
>>43681521
Terran/Protoss hybrids are created the traditional way.
>>
What I wouldn't do for a SC RPG based around early era protoss.
>>
>>43682668
What's stopping you?
>>
>>43682668
Is there a SC RPG to begin with?
>>
Aldaris = Rodimus
Karax = Wheeljack
Fenix = Grimlock
Alarak = Starscream
>>
>>43684074
>Alarak = Starscream
Since when was Starscream in the running for 'most powerful transformer ever seen'?
>>
>>43684222
TF Armada? but to be honest I think he matches G1 Blitzwing
>>
>>43684074
>>43684074
Amon= Unicron
Mal'Ash= Galvatron
Tassadar = Optimus
>>
File: Carbot executor.gif (171 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Carbot executor.gif
171 KB, 500x282
>Elves in my setting are a bunch of Nordic/scandinavian viking folk, essentially tolkien elves but with bork bork bork accents, a Lothlorien-esque city with pine rather than oak, and the capacity for mirth and song that the movie elves all seemed to lack.
>Also make the best damn booze on the continent, rivaling even the dwarven drinks in potency and taste.
>Now all a bunch of Viking-like Protoss of the frozen north.

Fucking sick, I like this new elf substitute
Brewing would be difficult though, best possible substitute for psionic booze I can think of is compilations of reading or music that sends people into dazes and drunken-esque states, like ASMR with a more guaranteed rate of working and a stronger effect.
>>
>>43684493
maybe they soak the beer through their skin like a frog
>>
>>43676269
Well no, its dark eldar minus everything that makes them dark eldary. The only commonality is that they're... kinda mean. So no.
>>
>>43684393
>Tassadar = Optimus

Eeehhh. Maybe, though Zeratul seems to fit that role a bit better, closer voice and he hands down leadership to Aldaris, even though Zeratul is much edgier and Raziely than Optimus.
>>
>>43681257
Why wouldn't they?

It mentions they were a predatory species before the xel'naga dicked around with them, so presumably the xel'naga left their titties intact.
>>
>>43681257

It's very common for species to have body parts with no purpose. Humans have a shit ton of them. It makes a lot of sense that a species that was forcibly evolved by a higher being would suffer from this.

But really it's so that they look more feminine, and that's all there is to it.
>>
>>43684849
coincidentally that's also the reason for tits on humans
>>
>>43684922
Well that and milk but yeah at least part of it is so we can visually identify mates
>>
>>43658156
>Remove elves

B-baka!
>>
>>43684922
>I fail basic mammalian biology please rape my useless face that holds my pointless brain in my unnecessary skull.
There's plenty of real examples you could skirt the issue with and maintain some kind of troll dignity, but you had to go whole hog wrong right away.
>>
>>43667740
>humanity would be the x factor to change shit but.. Oh well.
They were hinting that in the novels. Saying that humaniy can surpass the protoss in psionic might because they are not pscionically linked thus giving them the ability to evolve unprecedentedly.
>>
>>43668842
>love conquers all.
i was really excited for the whole raynor kerrigan reunion in WOL. Especially after Raynors badass im gonna kill you speech in SC1
>>
>>43669024
I dont think Metzen writes anything anymore. Blizzards new shit feels like it was made by a design committee.
>>
>>43662837
There's also a chance that Abathur has against Kerrigan's orders harvested some genetic information from herself (potentially when she almost died vs Narud and was healing in the pool) and maybe at some point from Stukov (he was manually spliced infested terran with far greater capabilities than the swarm got out of terrans)
>>
>>43686013
Did the writers forget that Dark Templar were a thing or something?
>>
>>43686317
The difference being that the Dark Templar are still protoss and their evolution has already been set. By uplifting them to the point that they're right on the cusp of existing as beings of pure energy, the Xel'naga/Amon have made it so they can't progress naturally on their own.
>>
So are archons just a mini ascension of two protoss? A purity of essence without any purity of form? How is the Khala related to this new being or is it separate from the Khala?

Also, missed opportunity for either Amon to force all the mind controlled templar to fuse together to create a vessel for himself or to have two named character protoss fuse into a named archon. Can you imagine the dialogue talking to a being that was once two of your allies? It would be incredibly interesting. I'd say Vorazun and Alarak since there is obvious tension between the the two that could become extra interesting but Alarak is too strong of a character and too willful to ever share his power with another.
>>
>>43659290
they are mouthless remember ?
they have psionic cheer
>>
>>43686662
An Archon is a being of pure energy, composed of the combined psionic might of two protoss.
Or as Starcraft Field Manual put it, friggin magic.
>>
>>43686662
>Can you imagine the dialogue talking to a being that was once two of your allies?
>tfw no Tassadar/Zeratul ghost superarchon to steal Kerrigan's thunder as the new Xel'naga in the epilogue
>>
>>43687282
>Tassadar/Zeratul ghost superarchon
FUCK.

That would have been so much better.

I would have been at maximum hype that entire mission.

You could have even had them de-infest Kerrigan 100% or whatever after that so that you could have the silly love story ending.
>>
>>43687322
Could have foreshadowed it by having Tassadar and Zeratul appear as visions to Artanis throughout the entire LotV campaign.
Maybe have one of the levels or sub-arcs in the campaign be Amon invading Artanis' mind via contact with a Xel'naga artifact and Tassadar/Zeratul use their shared memories with Artanis to help him fight it off.
Their only shared memories are of the Battle of Aiur, so you fight a twisted retelling of battles in the original SC, with void corruption everywhere and Tassadar and Zeratul acting oddly.
>>
>>43687492
No, see, that actually might have been good storytelling.
>>
I think a more interesting question is what happens when your setting's "cliche evil race" (zombies if nothing else) is replaced with the zerg.
>>
>>43688088
The "clichéd evil race" depends entirely on the cliché. Drow are a different cliché than orcs, which are a different cliché than zombies, etc., etc.

Zerg would actually be very hard on most settings because they're just so unstoppable. You can deal with a minor infestation if you're capable of industrial warfare but most fantasy settings are likely to be completely overrun; and that minor infestation isn't going to stay minor for long. Mar Sara was overrun in a matter of days and had to be purged with orbital bombardment.
>>
>>43688067
You know what else would have been good storytelling?
Actually including the Protoss characters from the previous SC2 games in LotV, along with Kaldalis (the one-eyed Zealot from the opening cinematic).
Seriously, adding in Amon-controlled Khalai heroes to fight/avoid/free in certain missions opens a whole new bag of narrative possibilities.
>>
>>43688384
Not a big fan of how they treated Fenix either. All he does is sit around and have an existential crisis and you get to use him in a mission all of once.
>>
>>43688513
Perhaps they could've given the option of using hero units in missions, at the cost of gaining another point of failure (the hero dying) and maybe preventing achievement acquisition?
>>
>>43688513
He's deployable via the spear of adun
>>
>>43688088
Starship Troopers "bugs" are basicaly zergs.
>>
>>43688384
Imagine the player punch of having to kill Mohondar, urune and selendis
>>
>>43688611
I was thinking more as arc villains that you end up either running from or freeing as part of a mission (thus increasing UNITY), but I guess killing them for emotional impact works too.
>>
>>43685682
Outside of aesthetics, there might be tiny buds while lactating, but I wouldn't really call those tits. And considering protoss almost certainly don't lactate, they most likely have bosoms for the same reason humans do, to provide visual and tactile entertainment.
>>
>>43667740

Its pretty amusing to imagine Blizzard implementing the cosmically retarded SC1 manual Xel'naga in a cutscene.

>take a hunting predator that has "purity of form"
>change said form by removing the whole predator element and mouth, making it feed off psi or whatever
>get attacked by them
>get pissed off that stone age barbarians who you turned into freaks reacted unpleasantly
>leave
>take worms with a super power of mind control that have "purity of essence"
>give intelligence and make them shapeshifters instead because why not, that won't mess with their essence
>get BTFOed by a race you can observe from orbit that has no technology as it clumsily attempts to use organic only means to obtain escape velocity from a planet by super evolution

How the hell is it possible to fuck up that badly?
>>
>>43688595
But he doesn't get nearly the same amount of character development and screen time as say, Tychus. So in the end he ends up being a call in you may never use, like those mercenary units from Wings of Liberty. All of those "I MUST GO ALONE" Artanis missions could have had Fenix added to them so they could kick ass together.

Bit of a wasted opportunity I feel. That whole Purifier thing was poorly written in general.

>Oh noes the zerg invaded Endor!
>Hey bearded dwarf protoss guy, how many scientists used to live here
>About 800k, ripperonies

Did they all die in the past 10 minutes? Did they never call for help? What the fuck happened there.

>Artanis the purifiers cannot be trusted, they turned on us!
>All we have to do is not treat them like slaves!
>Hey purifiers, come work with us!
>YOU'RE GONNA MAKE US SLAVES AREN'T YOU
>No I'm not going to make you slaves!
>OH OKAY THEN, ACHIEVING CONSENSUS BRB

Definitely could have been more substance there.
>>
>>43688805
>How the hell is it possible to fuck up that badly?
In StarCraft? Hubris. In StarCraft II? Just as planned!
>>
>>43688513
He gets a hell of a lot more use than he ever did in SC1/BW. One of the highlights of the game.
>>
>>43688833
It WAS cool to see him again, I'll give them that much. I don't think the significance of his green armour was lost on anyone.
>>
>>43688833
SC1/BW had like eight missions per campaign, though.
>>
>>43688857
I loved the heroic teal
>>
>>43688824
Yeah, I much preferred the Xel'naga to be anything other than a race of incompetents who removed themselves from the setting due to their own stupidity.

Pretty much I was hoping for all this ever since the sooper sekrit Brood War mission. I figured for a long time that Blizzard had forgotten about the protoss/zerg hybrid stuff (that even predates BW) when they revealed that infestation doesn't work on protoss.
>>
>>43688876

Yeah, but he's nowhere near as helpful in the levels he shows up in, and dies of a randumb visual gag in SC1, and dies again because Kerrigan decided to be a bitch due to Metzen having a traumatic divorce.
>>
So now that sc2 is done, when do you think we should expect a sequel to Losthe Vikings based around one of the vikings trying to hunt down his corrupted comrade, who has kidnapped the third viking, the tragic love interest of the first?
>>
>>43689000
You mean that's what caused her to grow a zerg mustache to twirl? Talk about petty. What got him to 180 into a love story?
>>
>>43689000
>due to Metzen having a traumatic divorce
Oh wow, was there ever a time where Metzen wasn't shit?

And honestly, Heroes in general were weaker in SC1 than in SC2.
>>
>>43689048
All art comes from pain. Clearly, we must break Metzen's legs.
>>
>>43689072
That's because they were generally just Stat boosted normals you had to protect, now days they have special abilities and enhanced survivability, also their abilities are all on cool down instead of mana
>>
>>43689048
>What got him to 180 into a love story?

He got over it.

IF they just didn't have Kerrigan appear in BW, or didn't have her become generically evil without any attempt at an explanation, things could have flowed a lot more naturally.

Perhaps Terran Campaign = UED, Zerg Campaign = UED controlled Zerg (breaking free at end as they realize they created a monster), Protoss Campaign = save the sector instead of another protoss homeworld getting devastated.

As de-overminded infested Kerrigan never had a particular reason to be evil, she could have had her forces usurped by the UED and Protoss not bothering to work with the Zerg.

Then for SC2, you could just have things pick up with WoL being just about the rebellion stuff. Her forces could have only been built up enough to be relevant as of HotS.

Bam, no de/reinfestation nonsense required.
>>
>>43689072
>And honestly, Heroes in general were weaker in SC1 than in SC2.

Kerrigan and debatably Tassadar and Zeratul stood out pretty well. Being able to feed Kerrigan broodlings for unlimited psi storm is okay, especially against marines.
>>
>>43689116
One kneecap = thrall dies
>>
>>43689048
Diablo's SL isn't confirmed, but it could be interpreted as a custody battle over the kids.

Also, "Kerrigan, what did they do to you?!" stood out as a very memorable line to me. A lot of the highlights of SC1 were basically all about feels anyway.
>>
>>43689176
I can see that, she shows up, offers limited support to the protoss, then the UED hijack everything with the slave overmind, then the zerg champaign is mostly the same but she only screws over the dominion because she has actual reason to hate Mengsk, then with her forces exhausted she dissappears to go find herself, possibly even after being screwed by Duran who could use his pull in the swarm to frame her for some things
>>
>>43689176
>generically evil without any attempt at an explanation
I don't know that it was entirely unexplained. All her life, Kerrigan had been a pawn; of the Confederacy, of Mengsk, of the Overmind; and now she had the power all to herself. All she needed was a little help to remove the last few remaining obstacles from her path.

The Queen of Blades is the product of abuse. It's all the hurt and pain and betrayal that Kerrigan had ever experienced distilled into a single, sociopathic personification.

They would have been better served by trying to address Kerrigan and the Queen of Blades as separate psychic entities - something akin to the relationship between Bruce Banner and the Hulk. They almost flirt with the idea, briefly, in Wings of Liberty, but that plot is never developed in any way. It might be left over from an earlier draft.
>>
>>43689414
Man I remember as a teen making that in the map editor, this battle in Kerrigan's mind, you as Sarah against the Queen of blades, all micro and juking with limited back up spawning in
>>
>>43658603
Whoever voiced him is a perfect substitute for Tony Jay.
He could easily voice The Elder God if Legacy of Kain is somehow revived though god forbid
>>
>>43689615
That there is John Delancy
>>
>>43689523
What would have been cool if if the psychic Queen of Blades was this completely inhuman Zerg monster, not just a sexy infested Terran. Really hammer home the idea that it represents all the worst parts of her.
>>
>>43689348
Yeah really. The main question is really what sort of plot you'd want to use to keep Raynor and Kerrigan, or their forces, apart in WoL.

The Char invasion scenario was extremely awesome, so I'm not sure how they'd redo it without an evilified Kerrigan.

If you wanted to have the whole falling off the wagon element, they could have been treating her for Zergitis, and pretty similar stuff at having to fall off the wagon again to either regain control of the Zergs, or to stop Mengsk, or whatever.

I think a lot of people really enjoyed the Primal Zerg despite them not fitting well with SC1 manual fluff.

So while you could use them as is, you could also have:
1. used the Feral Zerg left on Aiur instead of the Primal Zerg,
2. have the Swarm be ran by the Feral Zerg bosses (and Kerrigan would need to tame or devour their essence to regain Swarm control),
3. use Aiur for the Zerus scenes.

You could still have the elements of resentment and people feeling betrayed etc. by her relapsing into Zergity, and her looking the same as she did as the Queen of Blades makes more sense if it was a relapse rather than turning into something new.

Weirdly, the Psi Destroyer doesn't affect Primal Zerg, but does destroy Swarm Zerg, and does harm Kerrigan. Alternately, it could be cool to have seen Primal Kerrigan be a fancier looking Primal Zerg, and visibly distinguihsable as a result.

All in all I greatly enjoyed SC1-2's story, just there are a lot of ways they could have made the plot require less convolution.
>>
>>43689615
Its sad that Raziel dies in the LotV campaign.
>>
>>43689748
I think a particularly fun use of the QoB being a totally inhuman zerg monster would be the way Samus has had at least two evil twins of herself at various times.

Also I rather like how similar Zerg are to X-Parasites.
>>
>>43689862
Er, what I mean is, is that it'd be a nice touch that if it seemed only to be a different form of Kerrigan, and her or her friends running into it again as a separate entity could be pretty fucked up.

In fact I could have sworn that some developer or blurb implied the campaigns were going to portray QoB as a separate being, but Raynor seems the only person to think this.
>>
File: 1370943057230.png (75 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
1370943057230.png
75 KB, 201x199
>>43689844
>>
>>43690043
Dammit, Carlos, that's not even a pun.
>>
>>43689923
I still don't understand what you're trying to say.
>>
>>43689817
Char invasion was fucking great, full on ugly planet. Then it turned into the lion king ending.
>>
>>43688820
>Did they all die in the past 10 minutes? Did they never call for help? What the fuck happened there.
I thought the purifiers killed all of them in the original rebellion.
>>
>>43690830
Ah found it. I was misremembering who was talking to who.

TLDR the zerg on the planet are Amon's, not Kerrigans. So that means Amon invaded in the recent past and killed everyone. Or more likely took them over through the Khala assuming the protoss here didn't get the memo.

https://youtu.be/WRIQwCTX4AY?t=1m56s
>>
So did anyone else get the impression that Artanis' speech to Rohana about how the past should always be viewed through the lense of the present was partly intended as a ''suck it up'' to the fans about how the new lore contradicts the old?
>>
>>43691236
Yes, it was very on the nose and more than a little condescending.
>>
>>43688820
he's not really comparable to the mercs, as he can and does hold off entire armies by himself and can be used many many times.

>No I'm not going to make you slaves!

they consent to treat the Purifier on their ship as their Executor.
>>
>>43691236
I never got that impression, there was nothing I could see on lore contradictions
>>
>>43691952
They're referring to old outdated SC1 manual fluff, sometimes outdated by the game itself, like how the Overmind wanted to assimilate the terrans to use against the protoss, and then leaves Kerrigan behind to go fight the protoss.
>>
>>43692025
That was some to shelf world building, anon, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. A lot of thought clearly went into StarCraft's setting. It's a shame that they decided to abandon it.
>>
>>43692117
>you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

There's worldbuilding that adds new potential for the setting and worldbuilding that strictly subtracts.

>Zerus being left a 100% lifeless ball of rock
>Xel'naga 100% exterminating themselves due to their own dismal stupidity

While I can't say I heard of anyone wondering what Zerus per se was like, I've definitely speculated what pre-Overmind Zerg would have been like, and whether Zerg can still mindworm people (apparently they can). Likewise, the option for what Duran and "the power he served for countless ages" could have been were limited to:

1. The obvious, Xel'naga
2. Brand new faction that would piss off everyone even more

Since the manual fluff was contradicted as early as Brood War, not sure why people were hoping it would be sacrosanct.

What exactly did you sacrosanct manual people want on that front, btw? Specifically regarding the way the Overmind and Duran wanted to create protoss/zerg hybrids and the way Duran served a higher power. What did you expect it to be?
>>
>>43692269
>What did you expect it to be?

I expected the Queen Bitch of the Universe to not have a redemption arc and continue being the Queen Bitch, I expected Raynor to still hate Kerrigan and keep his promise, I expected anything BUT this bullshit that we got.
>>
>>43692371
Eh, the Queen Bitch thing was just a dose of out of character mustache twirling villainy injected because Metzen had a traumatic divorce, I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>43692371
>I expected the Queen Bitch of the Universe to not have a redemption arc and continue being the Queen Bitch
well what would that have to do with Duran?
>>
>>43692269
Lone xel naga revival is fine by Duran.

Overmind dreaming of hybrid should've followed the original. Overmind achieved maximum evolution boner by looking at the protoss and did his damnest to make a hybrid.

Kerrigan should have been the step toward the protoss not toward freedom and destiny.
>>
>>43692534
Well you gotta admit, its odd to have two totally (?) different beings, one of which can emulate zerg powers, both wanting to create protoss zerg hybrids.

>Kerrigan should have been the step toward the protoss not toward freedom and destiny.

The Overmind sincerely thought Kerrigan was his finest creation and that her existence was super duper important, but whatever she was for, the purpose was not mentioned in SC1, other than that he had no need to use her to counter the protoss, contrary to the manual's suggestions. So while LotV was a bit much, it wasn't out of character with how the Overmind spoke of her. Don't forget that the sole purpose of him attacking the Terrans at all was to get someone like her, and apparently only one person like her.
>>
unrelated question, do you think Kerrigen's Zerg-locks are an emulation of protoss nerve cords?
>>
>>43692670
makes me wonder what if the Overmind had nabbed some one Like Tosh or Nova, or hell Stukov before Kerrigen
>>
>>43692670
>the sole purpose of him attacking the Terrans at all was to get someone like her, and apparently only one person like her.
Incorrect. The purpose of assimilating someone like Kerrigan was to acquire her genes. Kerrigan, herself, may have still been useful in another capacity but once she'd been infested, the Overmind had all the psychic mojo he needed to invade Aiur.
>>
>>43692734
I have to wonder. She keeps them as a peoples, but was still able to control zerg to a basic extent (seemingly only zerg whose brood mother consented or who lacked one).
>>
>>43692751
Was Stukov actually supposed to be a psychic? I was always under the impression that he was a Ghost hero because they didn't want to just do another Marine hero. The genetic mutations that resulted in the Koprulu Terrans developing psychic abilities were all eradicated on Earth, so nobody in the UED should've been naturally talented.
>>
>>43692754
According to the dialogue in the campaign, it was definitely all about her in particular.
>>
>>43692818
>The genetic mutations that resulted in the Koprulu Terrans developing psychic abilities were all eradicated on Earth, so nobody in the UED should've been naturally talented.

The former organization that the UED overthrew (UPD? something like that) and that exiled the terrans *attempted* to do so. However, the fact that both of the big UED guys were ghosts in the map editor and the fact that the UED broadcast specifically refers to powerful psychics and drugs controlling the Overmind greatly implies the UED is fine with controlled psykers. Since both UED commander types were so, its possible that the psykers being genocided were the ones spearheading the overthrow of the old regime.

It is POSSIBLE that the ghosts controlling the Overmind were all locally recruited, which would be... incredibly strange.
>>
>>43692907
what if the UED is actually psionic supremacist
>>
>>43692269
Ok let me try some fan fiction.

WoL
plot is jimmy fucking around and depressed while zerg attack. Consumed with vengeance he goes knee deep until he realizes that moebius corp controls the zerg like the confederacy and UED did. Kerrigan asks for help which jimmy says fuck you. Moebius corp burns Mar Sara probably for dramatic measures and rehash terran mission 3.
Jimmy still doesn't trust her but they do some adventures together and he starts softening. Narud capture and forcibly deinfest her after a dominon raid. Now it appears dominion has both terran and zerg forces.
Dun dun dun

HotS
deinfested kerrigan is rescued by Jimmy but romance takes a down turn as it becomes increasingly obvious that she is obsessed with killing mengsk and attaining power. Kills Mengsk half way through but realizes that the zerg are not feral and is still controlled. Narud twirls moustache and reveal hybrids. Kills Jimmy and zeratul saves kerrigan. Kerrigan angsts about jimmy while forming counter offensive.

Lotv
same as now but artanis now bonds over with vallerian as young leaders left to take charge and teams up with kerrigan early and it's hybrid fight all the time and no xelnaga. Zeratul's prophesy doesn't come to pass and kerrigan and artanis die together, artanis mimicking tassadar and kerrigan dying with jimmy kissing white background dream sequence hoping for what it could've been.

Epilogue shows protoss rebuilding honoring the decrees of artanis, zerg inter fighting amongst cerebrates, and dominion consolidating its borders.

I'm not a writer, but I would've enjoyed that.
>>
>>43659290
They're cheering through the khala. You don't need to hear it- you can feel all of your companions, all feeling the same emotions at the same time as you, swelling and coursing like a flood of cheer.
>>
>>43693229
So... what was the "far greater power" in this scenario? Imaginary?
>>
>>43693476
Amon still but get rid of the cycle bs and just make him evil and mind controly because he's butt hurt that his creations dared to defy him in the past. I mean Xelnaga died due to hubris, evil control freak seems right up that alley.

As I said, I'm not a writer and I know what I dislike more than what's good.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.