[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the single edgiest thing in a tabletop game ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: c9a.png (168 KB, 328x327) Image search: [Google]
c9a.png
168 KB, 328x327
So what's the single edgiest thing in a tabletop game ever?
>>
File: D30.jpg (59 KB, 1022x1029) Image search: [Google]
D30.jpg
59 KB, 1022x1029
Probably this.

Yes, there's the d100, but that's more of a dimpled golf ball than a die.
>>
File: dayshallcomeagain.jpg (43 KB, 656x425) Image search: [Google]
dayshallcomeagain.jpg
43 KB, 656x425
>>43646944
I don't think you had good intentions when you made this thread OP.
>>
>>43646944
OP's facebook
>>
>>43646944

phylactery womb
>>
>>43646944
A razor blade golem?
>>
My last session in my old group we had to go kill a pregnant woman

I seemed to be the only one with ethical objections
>>
File: 1421558522749-2.jpg (12 KB, 206x210) Image search: [Google]
1421558522749-2.jpg
12 KB, 206x210
>>43647229
>ethical objections

Moralfag detected.
>>
>>43647229
>implying that ethics aren't relative to culture and upbringing
This isn't you hugbox ignorant polpig.
>>
FATAL
>>
>Ten posts in
>No mention of fatal
c'mon /tg/ where's your head at
>>
>>43647229
Was the woman a villain, or the baby a demon, or something like that?
>>
>>43646944
swords, typically.
>>
>>43646944
One time, this old lady wanted help crossing the street, so I said I would, and then I didn't!
>>
>>43647392
The context we were given is she was just on some mafioso's shit list
>>
>>43647480
If your characters are supposed to be the types to have ethical concerns about things why are they being hitmen for the mafia?
>>
>>43647507

I should rephrase this.

I was the only one who seemed to have OOC issues with it. Everyone else seemed rather gleeful
>>
>>43646979
underrated
>>
>>43647548
Depends so much on the tone and context of the table. Anything can be amusing if it's primed with the right social context.

Basically I'm saying you might have autism.

Anyways. You're just playing pretend, deal with it.
>>
>>43647726
You seem to be reading an awful lot into his short, mostly neutral posts. Insecurity, maybe?
>>
>>43647389
I would actually put Black Tokyo above fatal in terms of edgy for edgy sake.
>>
>>43647368
>ethical/cultural relativism
>implying it is not the single most immoral thing humanity does in order to make itself feel better
>>
>>43651062
Morals aren't just relative, they literally don't exist. They're imaginary. We made them up to make justification of our actions simpler and demonization of our enemies easier.
>>
>>43651430
We don't have to conciously make them up, but they aren't dictated to us either. They evolve naturally from the fact that we are a reasoning and social species. But there is a correct way to live together that maximizes happiness and minimizes suffering, and some systems of morality and some cultures fall lower on this continuum than others, and are therefor invalid. Moral relativism is accepting that someone's else's evil is just as valid as your good. And that is bullshit.
>>
>>43651430
Also... did you really just say that ideas don't exist because they only exist in our heads? Seriously?
>>
Turning a baby into a vampire, starving it a bit and then making it fight a rabid pitbull.

Edgy af
>>
>>43651696
Rabid vampire babies cockfights sound funny though,
>>
>>43651536
What I mean is that they don't exist as inexorable components of the universe like some people pretend they are. Morals are not the laws of physics. Humans may have made up words to describe the laws of physics, but they were already there, embedded in the universe. They were there before we existed and they will continue being there when we are gone. Morals will not. They are ideas that humans made up, entirely, and they will die with us.
>>
>>43652517
>they will continue being there when we are gone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
>>
>>43652517
And that makes them no less valid to life.

I would quote Hogfather but I think most of /tg/ has that page memorized by now.
>>
>>43652551
>morals
>2015
It's people like you who're holding genetics back.

I haven't read Hogfather, so please do.
>>
>>43652517
To further clarify, morals do not exist in the world outside of our minds. They only exist as ideas. Things like heat, cold, and energy exist measurably in the world around us, we just have ideas to describe them. Morals only exist as ideas. And no one person's idea of morals is correct. That's like saying one single person's idea of perfection can be correct, which it can't, because many people's ideas of perfection are different. It is the same with morals. There is one correct standard of morals. You say that the morals that will maximize happiness are the ones that should be considered correct, but I disagree, because different people find happiness in different things. I believe that one should attempt to live in a way that will maximize happiness and minimize suffering, but one can never be sure, and even that is only my opinion.
>>
A sharp Sword
>>
Skinned alive a female werewolf. The character was more than a bit bipolar when it comes to alignment.
>>
>>43652551
>>43652560
The above anon is not me, by the way. I'm >43652562.
>>
The single edgiest thing in a tabletop game ever is muh no morals anon
>>
I have no morals, but I recognize that other do.
>>
“WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.

"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.”

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”
>>
>>43651458
>But there is a correct way to live together that maximizes happiness and minimizes suffering
You're an utter retard.

Why is that something to strive for?

Oh is it because of your personal morals?

>And that is bullshit.
Small-minded pleb detected.

Fucking "waa moral relativists might make me question myself" faggots are disgusting.
>>
>>43652592
Alright, let me make an example. Someone who believes in objective right and wrong might say it's wrong to kill. But I challenge that view by saying that there are some hypothetical situations in which choosing to take a life might objectively create or preserve more net extant happiness than it destroys.

For instance, if a crazed shooter is holding a crowd hostage at gunpoint, about to kill more of them, and you are behind him, and have a loaded gun, but he is not aware of your presence.
>>
>>43652592
You have to understand that I'm not a person who would willingly kill or hurt someone, taking away someone's happiness, unless some extraordinarily unusual circumstances forced me to.

I do not want to cause suffering. I believe that life becomes pointless without happiness, and I would not wish that on anyone.

I believe all this, and yet I do not believe in morals.
>>
>>43652637
I wouldn't refrain from decreasing the net happiness of others because I believe it is WRONG to do so, I simply would choose not to do so because I respect their happiness, and I have no reason to wish for them to suffer. And that is my opinion, my point of view. Not objective fact. Simply what I want.
>>
>>43646944

The Underworld in Exalted has a brothel where the Madams are the ghosts of rape victims. They take the souls of rapists and reshape them into attractive women, so they can be endlessly raped by evil ghosts.

Yeah. Exalted can get like that.
>>
>>43652592
Basically, what I'm saying is that you have to accept that your morals are not fact. Almost no point of view that a human can hold is fact, I daresay, but even that is only my opinion, and ultimately, you will believe what you want to, and I have no control over what that will be, nor do I wish to. I merely wish to show you another point of view.
>>
>>43652592
I definitely don't believe in one, singular "correct" way to live that will maximize happiness for everyone, that definitely doesn't exist. But I believe in trying my best. And I don't need a juvenile concept like morals to do that.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.