[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A member of the party is a runaway royal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: thumbsdown.jpg (11 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
thumbsdown.jpg
11 KB, 300x170
>>
>>43645270

>"A ___ is ___"
>Disapproving picture.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>43645309
This.
/thread
>>
>>43645270
>A member of the party is long-lost royalty
>they're really upset about it and pissed off this missing side of the family never contacted them
>"FINE. RUN your little kingdom. You didn't have time for me, I don't have time for you."
>plothook is never resolved
>>
>>43645270
Sounds like fun to me.
>>
>>43645270
>Member of the party is 13th in line to the throne
>Still get taught swordsmanship, chivalry, all that jazz because they're still family dammit
>Will never see a shred of the inheritance
>Decide to bugger off into the wilderness to put their training to use, maybe carve out a kingdom of their own.
>Meet up with some like-minded adventurers.
>Travel the kingdom kicking ass, taking names, and wooing wenches.
>Would take this life over ruling some boring-ass castle.
>>
My very first character was sort of that

Wasn't so much runaway royalty as a run away noble. He was a human that grew up among elves.

He ran away from home forsook his riches to be a traveling bard.
>>
I wish my players gave enough shit about the setting and games I run to do that.
>>
>they really did mean it when they renounced their inheritance
>when the kingdom is in chaos and people come and find the rumored lost heir they let it burn rather than go back
>>
File: 1406485120900.jpg (26 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1406485120900.jpg
26 KB, 500x375
>>43645270
>Partying with peasants
>>
>>43647435

>edgelord mcedgertone edging up the edginess
>>
>>43645270
>Play a character who is very distantly in line for the throne.
>I believe when I wrote the backstory I was something like 43rd in line.
>GM decides he doesn't like my character and wants me to roll a new one.
>Sudden plague hits home country.
>Conveniently, all 42 people in front of me die horrible deaths.
>Get recalled and forced on the throne
>Have to retire character because the king can't go adventuring to stop a dread lich when the kingdom is suffering from a plague.
>I'm 90% sure that the lich was going to have been responsible for the plague, but the GM lost interest in D&D and decided he only wanted to play grimdark games in the 40k setting, which no one else in the group did.
>>
File: JoJo.png (1 MB, 1366x650) Image search: [Google]
JoJo.png
1 MB, 1366x650
>>43645270
>A member of the party turns out to have dragon/angel/c'thulu blood from their great great bard grandfather.
>They only find out about it when their distant relatives come to take them back to the home plane.
>>
>>43645309
>>43645340
>we've been on 4chan for three weeks, it's so much more le cool than Reddit was!

Time for you two to leave.
>>
>>43647566
That sounds terrible.
>>
>>43645270
>Play as a scammer claiming to be a runaway royal, the actual royal is just simply missing and the party member has no idea what actually happened to the guy. Watch as it turns out he was either assassinated and dumped in a ditch or actually is a runaway and gets pissed to find out someone is pretending to be him.
>>
I always wanted to play a game where that actually mattered. Like have the campaign be about the princess and her trusted advisor escaping the country with the help of two vagrant mercenaries.
>>
>>43647566
What a shit GM
>>
>>43645270
Why does he has to be runaway.
Why not just royal with all the power that entails?
>>
File: this is how i nomads.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
this is how i nomads.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>first time player
>male playing female
>secretly a long-lost noble
>also has dragon blood that is manifesting in strange ways when she uses magic (her old skin is sometimes replaced with dragon scales over time and vice versa)
>body type is described as 'thick'

He's a solid bro and nothing has gone wrong whatsoever.
>>
>>43647975
In 99% of games though, the players of the princess and her female attendant/ladyknight will decide that the two are gay for each other, and they're eloping because the king wants the princess to marry a guy.

Because no one in tabletop knows how to play a heterosexual female.
>>
File: 1446165492585.gif (497 KB, 448x256) Image search: [Google]
1446165492585.gif
497 KB, 448x256
>>43645270
>A member of the party is a runaway royal who thinks he still has power and status
>A member of the party is a runaway royal who expects the party to care and drop everything to return him to power
>Bonus points if he made a usurper NPC rival he expects the GM to use
>Bonus points if he wields the family sword, "Edge of a Thousand Slit-Wrists"
>>
File: 1430694372418.png (169 KB, 330x417) Image search: [Google]
1430694372418.png
169 KB, 330x417
>A member of the part has amnesia
>>
>A member of the royal throws a runaway party
>>
>party member keeps referring to dark past
>wont tell anyone what it is,
>>
File: slyshep.jpg (118 KB, 653x786) Image search: [Google]
slyshep.jpg
118 KB, 653x786
>>43648150
Is it still a cringy cliche is the players are actual homosensual females?
Because that's what happened in my campaign, right down to the runaway princess and ladykngiht.
It was still cringy, but for reasons unrelated to those characters
>>
>>43645270
Ain't nothing wrong with that, nigga.

Sure, it's overdone, but that doesn't mean it can't be interesting.
>>
>>43645270
My recent campaign did this extremely well. The character eventually turned into one of the cornerstones of epic tier, and had quite the excellent ascension.
>>
>>43649210
Story?
>>
>>43645270
What about exiled minor noblemen kicked out of their country for their "eccentricities?"
>>
>>43649257

Character was a fleeing Nth in line prince (almost certainly not going to take the throne) running away from his problems and being a drunk. I think the character was actually originally intended to be disruptive to campaigns for comedic purposes. Eventually, I gave him enough role-play opportunities that we improved a backstory about him trying to marry a commoner, and her being executed by her staunchly lawful-neutral-dredd-style king/father.

Party winds up "shipwrecked" in a pocket realm, which unbeknownst to them is time dilated. After trying to use divination a way to get out, he sees a vision of his home realm: every other member of his family is dead and the excalibur/mjolnir that can only be weilded by the rightful heir is unused. It's the only thing that can defeat the spirits that are killing the last of his family's subjects.

He winds up making a deal with a fey lord masquerading as a dwarven god to be able to open up a gate to rescue his people from their dying realm. As long as he lives, and rules in her name, his reign will be peaceful and prosperous. The portal only goes between the dying dwarf realm and the realm they're trapped in (because fey like fucking with people) and the burgeoning dwarf refugee camp becomes the base of operations for the party for the second half of paragon tier.

More to follow...
>>
>>43645340
/threading your own post is like high fiving yourself in public. Except more retarded.

>>43645270
I'd be ok with it, but there would have to be some serious drawbacks to this and an explanation as to why they ran away.

>Royal Agents following the party with orders to bring back their target unarmed. No one else matters
>Assassins from a rival for the thrown attack the party repeatedly
>The royal family is hated, if anyone knew who they were the entire party would be driven out of town at best
>The party member is trying to organized a rebellion against hte crown, causing lots of problems due to the fact the King is generally well liked.

Most people shouldn't do it because most people can't do it well.
>>
>>43646130
>>Member of the party is 13th in line to the throne
>>Still get taught swordsmanship, chivalry, all that jazz because they're still family dammit
>>Will never see a shred of the inheritance
>>Decide to bugger off into the wilderness to put their training to use, maybe carve out a kingdom of their own.
>>Meet up with some like-minded adventurers.
>>Travel the kingdom kicking ass, taking names, and wooing wenches.
>>Would take this life over ruling some boring-ass castle.

Not THAT'S a good start. Just add
>eventually they become very successful
>even mange to carve out their own little kingdom like they wanted
>and because of this are now seen as a threat by their former family...
>>
>Character is a son of noble and powerful house
>Spend all his time fucking around with magic
>Spends all his time at satanic parties bringing disappointment and shame to his name
>Father tells him to "go visit the cousins" cut off his allowance, put all his portraits in the basement, pretends he doesn't exist

Dude is now an adventurer looking for his cousin's castle. He's wandered into a foreign land and his remaining gold is dwindling. Claims of his relation to a house no ones heard of mixed with his now tattered appearance point to the image of a madman.
>>
>>43650464
>>43649257

At the very end of paragon tier, after successfully collecting soul-shards and reconstructing a titan that was fucking up the world (and making random things paragon-tier strong) the reconstructed primordial titan (who was unbeknownst to them the embodiment of entropy and endings) granted them each one wish (which I of course turned on them monkey-paw style as the justification for epic-tier campaign.) Each wish made broke one of the chains binding the titan to the mortal realm.

The dwarven king, after having been the king of the surviving dwarves for 5 levels of paragon, had slowly become less of a drunk, and more of a reluctant captain-dwarven-america paladin. His wish to the death-god-titan (also the last wish in the chain) was "all I wish is for you to be free," because he'd gone full paragon, and already had everything he needed.

For a brief moment, the embodiment of death felt compassion and gratitude towards a mortal being, and in that moment he became immortal (can still be knocked out, just never dies no matter how low HP go, and SLOWLY regenerates any lost anything starting with the head.) He didn't actually KNOW that he had become immortal though.

However the fey-lord/god that had made a deal with him DID know what was going on and was FURIOUS. All of a sudden, the end condition of her deal was never going to happen, and she was going out her way to actively FUCK WITH the immortal dwarf. Also, a genuine immortal, is fundamentally profane to the fey, and the courts in general made it a point to find a way to eliminate this threat to the natural order.
More to come
>>
>>43648681
>A member of the party pretends to have amnesia.
>>
>>43650578
>>43650464
>>43649257

One epic-tier-adventure later, they had defeated the fey lieges and destabilized the structure of magic in the universe. As the fey realms were crumbling around them, the surviving lieges made a deal with them, to restructure the new fey courts. They had previously been oriented around the four seasons, and later the fates/nords/wyrd-sisters took advantage of one dead liege to restructure the fey realm around the 3-act story structure (beginning, middle, end or maiden, matron, chrone etc...) They eventually settled on a six-axis system, around a six branched Yggdrasil, but the Chrone (the architect of most of their wowes during epic tier, and the fey-liege of endings) had one last twist for the immortal dwarf.

As the one true immortal in the multiverse, the dwarf was linked to Yggdrasil as its guardian. They had recently defeated the Chrone as a major BBEG boss, and hung her from her own fate threads... and she was hanging from the tree. As the queen of endings, she returned his old fiancee to life by "relinquishing her ending." However, she would only live as long as the dwarf never returned to the mortal realm, and if he ever did return, his beloved would again die, and the Chrone would be freed. Stoically and nobly, he took up his hammer and vowed to be take up an eternal vigil.

From now on, dwarven strongholds are ruled by a Reagent in Absentia, as the one true king of the dwarves is elsewhere, never to return until Ragnarok, and his story is written into the narrative fabric of magic and the universe.

/storytime.
>>
>>43650686
man i need a group like y 'all
>>
>>43645270
I've actually played a 'go out and become a man so that thou might return a wise and just king' character.
It helped that I later took up the role of DM and was able to quietly shuffle him off into the background cast.
As DM I determined that most of the council that sent him off believed him an incompetent blowhard and were in league with the BBEG all along and wanted him to get killed without implicating themselves. I have never revealed this to the other players.
He's planned to return as a quest-giver/'we have the money to do that thing you want done' character or an enemy, depending on how things boil off.
>>
I recently had to leave a group because I couldn't justify playing with a party that acted like that. Essentially what occurred was I was told it'd be fairly light hearted. Not knowing the other player's characters I built a TN buffing/crafting wizard, as I thought it fits pretty much every party and was fairly innocuous.

Things went to shit from here. First of all people expected when getting magic items from me that I pay the material cost. I told them that a wand of cure light wounds was for party use, not just my own, and that they requested it. They refused to pay in so I decided not to make it, they threw a fit. Someone asked me to upgrade their armor, and wouldn't pay me the gold for materials, the DM then made me pay the gold for upgrading his gear. I have no idea people even did this, it floored me.

Next they would request buffs, then get angry when I ran out. They seemed to have no concept that I had limited resources I was working it and couldn't buff all of them all the time.

This prompted my character being called useless, normally by whoever I didn't have a buff for at the time.

I was the only one with any int based skills as well, no one had knowledges besides me except the rogue with knowledge local. I was also the only person with spellcraft and linguistics. I ended up being the translator, knowledge monkey, and item crafter.

I tried. I FUCKING tried to play that game, but after a while I just couldn't fucking take it. I ended up turning on the party, then getting kicked from the game by the GM after having my character taken over by him. I haven't looked back since.
>>
>>43647917
I played a character once that was hired by a runaway prince (and by hired, I mean "If you don't do this for me, I'll leave you to rot in this cell until you die.") to pretend to be him and be seen now and then. That way, the bounty hunters sent out to bring the wayward prince home would be after me, so the prince himself could continue his plans in peace (turned out he was gathering artifacts, trying to gain enough arcane power to rule the world, but sadly that plotline never got resolved 'cuz the game ended).

It was pretty cool. I got to get dragged back "home" every now and then and live in luxury for a few days before running off again. I even managed to use that to get myself out of prison once. And I got to pull the "Oh, but in reality I'm..." trick on my fellow players twice, which was fun.
>>
>>43650520
The new mission is to march up to the old castle where you grew up, walk through the front door because the guards are your childhood friends, march into the throne room and force the reigning monarch to accept your little realm as a semi-independent fiefdom. You pay a ceremonial tribute and they stay off your land.

If they break this contract you will coat all their food, bed sheets, wallpaper, water, servants, carpet, candles and clothes in arsenic.

This isn't war. No armies will be involved. This is family.
>>
>>43645270
Fuck you. As a GM I would love that.
>>
>The system is D&D
>>
>>43647566
>Conveniently, all 42 people in front of me die horrible deaths.
At that point you just leave the table, because that's a whole new level of bullshit
>>
>>43649018
Its still cringey but like, half as cringey
>>
>>43645270
>Playing a runaway Royal.
>Specifically, a noble so minor and so far removed from the actual aristocracy that he's utterly unimportant and not in line for the throne in any way.
>Also, he has a personal messenger who periodically shows up at camp with a load of paperwork that he has to review, sign, or reject.
>And he took his wife with him, she thinks of it as a vacation.
>And an accountant whose job is keeping the finances of an adventuring party and a small town in line.
>Has had all these companions since level 1
>Because 5e is awesome.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.