[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are space marines just overgrown child soldiers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16
File: 1446553755621.jpg (174 KB, 686x944) Image search: [Google]
1446553755621.jpg
174 KB, 686x944
Are space marines just overgrown child soldiers?
>>
>>43629400
No.
>>
>>43629404
Why not?
>>
>>43629400
I mean, kinda. They do start their indoctrination at like 12 years old. However they go through years of surgery and psycho-indoctrination before they are full battle brothers. So really they are more like overgrown child super soldiers.
>>
>>43629400
>>43629435

No.

Child soldiers are children that are given guns and then herded into battle to eat bullets, usually high out of their minds on drugs.

Space Marines begin training to become Space Marines usually as adolescents, but they do not actually become true Space Marines for decades, by which point they are full-grown "men."
>>
>>43629475
>by which point they are full-grown "men."
with the mental state of a teenager
>>
>>43629400
Only in that child soldiers are frequently indoctrinated, and the Imperium is one big indoctrination camp.
>>
File: Perplexed Koreans.gif (4 MB, 627x278) Image search: [Google]
Perplexed Koreans.gif
4 MB, 627x278
>>43629483
>implying a marine's mental state can be rightly compared to anything you or I would know
>>
>>43629483

I'm not sure any teenager--let alone any human being--has the same mental state as a space marine.
>>
>>43629539
We were all space marines once.
>>
File: samus_is_at_a_loss.png (52 KB, 346x360) Image search: [Google]
samus_is_at_a_loss.png
52 KB, 346x360
>>43629483
What the fuck makes you take that leap in logic?
>>
>>43629549

That's deep.
>>
>>43629539
>RIP AND TEAR

Wait, wrong franchise.

>RIP AND TEAR FOR THE EMPEROR!
>>
File: really deep.jpg (101 KB, 968x685) Image search: [Google]
really deep.jpg
101 KB, 968x685
>>43629549
>>
>>43629400
Are soldiers just overgrown child soldiers?
>>
>>43629598

Are dogs just overgrown puppies?
>>
>>43629552
Being retarded made him do it. Don't shame him!
>>
An anon explained quite well how SM were children in their convictions and way of thinking, the way they were sure of everything, and that sort of thing.
>>
>>43629611
Are trees just overgrown seeds?
>>
>>43629611
Dogs are literally overgrown wolf cubs tho.
>>
>>43629693
SM deal in absolutes, just like teenagers.
>>
>>43629704
is not communication just overgrown grunting?
>>
>"Well, for starters, Space Marines are chosen as children, tortured by SCIENCE!, and then drafted into an eternity of being monastic murder machines whose sole purpose is to hold up the crumbling foundations of an omnicidal dystopia in the name of a rotting carcass that eats psykers like chiclets. They're emotionally stunted orphans who were brainwashed and weaponized before being unleashed on a galaxy where EVERYTHING is trying to kill them. They never even had a chance to be people before someone turned them into a gun instead.

>Stormcast, on the other hand, are dead heroes, chosen for their valour and faith, resurrected and sent to free the Mortal Realms from the abominations currently running the show, on behalf of a benevolent god-king. They're traumatized heroes who had lives, personalities and histories prior to being crammed into primary colored hulkbuster armor and filled full of lightning so that they could go save their descendants from the eldritch horrors of a nightmare dimension. They endure death after death, losing a bit more of their soul each time, in order to prevent anyone else from suffering the fate which befell them.

>One group are so far removed from humanity as to be utterly alien. The other group are so human it causes them pain. One group feels little in the way of emotion, the other group feels emotion as strongly as they did before death. One group hates and fears the alien. The other group allies regularly with space-lizards, skeletors and green monster-men. One group is the personification of the grim future in which they live. The other is a thing born of hope.
>>
>>43630180
>The similarities are cosmetic: big guys in easily paintable armor sell better than little dudes with fiddly bits. But the context for those cosmetic similarities is quite different. Think of it this way...Space Marines are Batman and Stormcast are Captain America. Both are super-heroes, both wear costumes, both punch bad guys, both save people. But they ain't the same, are they?"

-Josh Reynolds (BL freelancer writer who worked on several fantasy, 40K, and AoS books)

Yes, Space Marine are brainwashed soldiers devoid of personality and with the mentality of children. The writers see that so why can't you? .
>>
File: fuck off casual.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
fuck off casual.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>43629693
>>43630180

>no dude like, space marines are totally puerile and I'm a really smart guy, here's my super serious analysis about something that I'm tooooootally above, completely lame right how childish are these stupid male power fap fantasies

not impressed in 2015 tee bee aych, gotta step your shitpost game up if you want me to think you're an insightful and profound bloke
>>
File: bait_league_of_legends.png (88 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bait_league_of_legends.png
88 KB, 1000x1000
>>43630180
Good boy!
>>
>>43629552
>What the fuck makes you take that leap in logic?
he is probably assuming that for some reason the fact that they undergo military training freezes their mental development in time and as such they never mature into adults, forever frozen in the state of the 12 year old child who first underwent the blood trials
>>
>>43629400
Are computers just over grown calculators?
>>
File: I was only joking.jpg (50 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
I was only joking.jpg
50 KB, 349x642
>>43630239
>he is probably assuming
PS. he is assuming that because he is a retard.
I honestly don't think this is a bait thread, OP is really this retarded
>>
>>43630229
>>43630236
Look, dudes, these are not my words. They are words of a BL author who worked on both SM and Stormcast books.

Do you want me to did up more quotes from authors on the differences between Space Marines and Stormcast? They are relevant to this thread because each other basically repeats the same thing. Space Marines due to their mental conditioning are manchildren.
>>
>>43629400
Are OPs just overgrown abortions?
>>
File: bait_earthbound.png (47 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
bait_earthbound.png
47 KB, 540x540
>>43630343
>a BL author
>>
>>43630380
I dunno what's up with you but these guys are the writers in charge of giving space marines depth and character.

What they have to say is very relevant.
>>
>>43629693
And on what authority did he assume that the zeitgeist and thought paradygm will remain the same as today over tens of millennia? I bet my sweet ass he was taking liberal arts classes.
>>
>>43630343
1) that's not the point, the point is people being smug about it need to git out because
2) implying 40k lore is consistent and some random faggot offering his opinion on a decades old franchise by making extraordinary claims means he's an authority on anything. In the past I rankled against this meme but now I fully admit it: BL is fucking paid fanfiction tier.

Now I could write an entire thesis on how many aspects of Space Marines in many contexts takes them far away from being manchildren, while in other stories they are indeed written as manchildren by shit writers, but instead I'll just mention it and hope that you know enough about 40k to think of examples.
>>
>>43629400
They're no more child soldiers than Knights.
>>
>>43630487
Actually, many agree that the manchildren approach to writing space marines is the valid one.

Space Marines are not suppose to be human. They are not suppose to be relatable. But I guess since GW is dialing down the grimdark of setting and whitewashing it, things started to change for the Space Marines.
>>
Come gather 'round wherever you roam. SING IT WITH ME
>>
>>43630758
And admit that the waters around you have grown
>>
>>43630779
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
>>
>>43630586
>Spare Marines are not suppose to be human.

But they are. They've got oversized human heads and they worship the same god the citizens do and speak the same language. They have a need to be relatable in-universe because they're skirting so close to the dangerous mutant line it's unreal.
Look, Emps could've just gone with killer robots, retired them when he was done, and call it a day. The decision to use humans to be turned into genetically modified killers despite their inherent frailty suggests a design decision that is beyond their original purpose; at the least, having your instruments of war look human probably helps ease tensions across all those foreign subjugated people.
>>
>>43630180
>>43630208
Totally forgetting that some marines vavlue human life, and live with their families. Salamanders say "You're a faggot."
>>
>>43630468
This. Things change.
>>
>>43629457
So they're man-children.

Okay, I think the thread is a wrap guys!
>>
File: 1447207602901.jpg (100 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1447207602901.jpg
100 KB, 800x600
They are completely selfless - they honor and protect something greater than themselves. They put everything else before themselves - their brothers, their duty, their god, their race, their honor. They are the opposite of children.
>>
File: wp_ss_20151114_0001.png (707 KB, 664x955) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151114_0001.png
707 KB, 664x955
>>43635154
>tfw you can hear the sound of regenerating carnifex flesh
>>
>>43631005
>They have a need to be relatable in-universe because they're skirting so close to the dangerous mutant line it's unreal.

Do we need someone to post that short comic that ends with the imperial dirt farmer praying in a church that Orks never invade their planet again, because that means another visit from the Emperor's Angels of Death, who frighten him more than the Orks do?
>>
>>43630487
>>43630586

Y'all niggers are misusing the word manchildren. Space Marines aren't manchildren in the same sense that you neckbeards are manchildren living in momma's basement. They do have certain stunted aspects of their personality due to their culture, but most of them are high functioning adults capable of diplomacy and strategy.

There's nothing "childish" about their psyches. The closest example would be from a weeaboo anime. The main character from Full Metal Panic is completely ignorant about civilian life and only knows how to live as a soldier. I think he was a child mercenary or some shit and now drives a mech because Japan.
>>
>>43630884
For the times they are a chaaaangin'
>>
>>43636139

>high functioning

>Implying you arent cherrypicking authors and trying to portray the marines as something mature
>Implying the average marine is a "purge purge purge" muscular neckbeard who can only destroy

Grimdark and all, this is still a product to sell, you are only finding depth in a author you like.
>>
File: A techmarine.png (31 KB, 201x281) Image search: [Google]
A techmarine.png
31 KB, 201x281
>>43637869
>>high functioning
>implying manchildren can be a cogboy or an apothecary
>>
>>43630229
What the fuck you on about?

I just said one anon described it, in a thread a long time ago, quite beautifully.
>>
>orphans
Don't the families of recruits become serfs? Marines are better than Stormcasts anyway. Acid spit, check. Far more diverse? Double check.
>>
I keep hearing how space marines only recruit the greatest warriors, but all their candidates are prepubescent. Do they just send scouts to local playgrounds and see who the biggest bullys are or something?
>>
File: SM - Flesh Tearer Marine.jpg (40 KB, 713x960) Image search: [Google]
SM - Flesh Tearer Marine.jpg
40 KB, 713x960
>>43638291
No. Flesh Tears make you kill dinosaurs.
>>
>>43638291

Essentially yeah. Each chapter has different protocols on how they recruit but it boils down to:

"Yo, you did some hardcore shit and you're just a kid! Want to be an immortal Space Marine?"
>>
>>43637869
>Implying the average marine is a "purge purge purge" muscular neckbeard who can only destroy
>implying memes are a fair depiction of a fictional reality
>>
>>43638291
I'd always thought they meant that, out of the recruits, only the best are selected.
>>
>>43638291
Each chapter has different recruiting methods.
>>
>>43629710
Cubs are for bears.
>>
>>43639122
Shit.
Pup, then?
>>
>>43629725
>teenagers deal in absolutes
>not advocates of moral relativism to justify their shitty behavior and half-baked philosophies
>>
>>43629400
>child soldiers
Maybe, some parts of the regular human psyche is missing because they haven't had a number of experiences. They haven't fathered and cared for families of their own, they ignore many of what day to day responsibilities consist of since they are basically cared for and coddled to be just weapons, directed as seen fit.
They are trained and brainwashed quite thoroughly. Something in their way of thinking is very child-like, as a human character in the NL trilogy actually states out loud.

Also, think of what would happen in peace times.
Should the Imperium ever know true peace, the IG would all be more or less able to settle down and start living normal civilian lives. The more indoctrinated cases, like commissars, might find that a lot harder. I think that except for certain chapters who foster their homeworlds like Salamanders and Ultramarines, there is no place in a peaceful galaxy for space marines, and they wouldn't have their place in a civilian, peace time society.
>>
>>43636072
kek
>>
>>43629475
>but they do not actually become true Space Marines for decades
I didn't think it took that long for the process to complete. I thought it was a year or so.
>>
>>43641727
It takes about 4 years with the last year or two spent as scouts IIRC. The Black Carapace is supposed to be implanted between age 16 and 18
>>
>>43641727
>I didn't think it took that long for the process to complete.

It doesn't.
>>
File: HB.jpg (122 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
HB.jpg
122 KB, 250x250
>>43641758

It doesn't matter. A 21yo Chapter Marine probably thinks much like a 21yo in the Royal Marines would today - if Royal Marines got to Only War in the Grimdark for centuries. As is, SM canonically endure those centuries until they're no longer called "kid" or "rook" and accepted as full Brothers.

>this one guy said

Saying, "Marines would never mature" is retarded, no matter who you are.
>>
File: thatsthejoke.jpg (29 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
thatsthejoke.jpg
29 KB, 560x420
>>43629400
Yes
>>
>>43630180
I like all this actually, even though it's bait, but I really like it.
however>>43630487 is right in that 40k lore isn't consistent to begin with.
>>
>>43629693
Unfortunately there are plenty of adults who still believe in blindly following religion.
>>
>>43629570
>implying that doomguy wouldn't be a honorary grey knight
>>
>>43641311
>since they are basically cared for and coddled to be just weapons, directed as seen fit.

People like you should stop talking about things they know nothing about.

Marines have to maintain their own gear. You might as well call Bruce Wayne or people with butlers and servants coddled. Yeah they are actually being "coddled" but they worked hard to get to that point. You think it's easy to become a space marine or something?
>>
>>43637869

Yeah it's called the main rulebook and every fucking space marine codex author that existed.

Space Marines are soldiers, not Keyman.

>implying you're not a retard who doesn't know anything about space marines and just runs off memes
>>
>>43643798
Well good for you to think you're not being coddled when you don't have to work for your food and never do your space marine laundry and basically don't have to care about anything except being a supersoldier with superweapons.
>have to maintain their own gear
artificers say hi

IG have to maintain their gear and aren't coddled, please anon, stay in your mansion's basement.
>>
>>43629400
During the crusade they were humans but better (sterile because the emp didn't want to replace humanity just protect it for a time) that said they were capable of emotion and reasoning that is suppressed in modern marines by hypnosis to prevent any further corruption like horus or well normal humans.
>>
>>43639122
Misinformed furries pls leave
>>
>>43636590
The best version of this song for me is by Blackmore's Night.
>>
>>43629400
well their armor was certainly designed by one.
>>
>>43629400
>>43629457
>>43629483
>>43629533
>What are spartans?
>>
>>43645438
Wolves have pups.
>>
File: 1438416728304.png (335 KB, 610x616) Image search: [Google]
1438416728304.png
335 KB, 610x616
>>43645402
Cont

It makes them kinda autistic and is far from perfect, but yes I would agree that they could be seen as child soldiers conscripted indoctrinated and sent to die for the benefit of others, in this case humanity as a whole.
>>
>>43645584
But there are no wolves on fenris, only mutants.
>>
>>43645627
That in no way means Wolves don't have pups or Bears don't have cubs.
>>
>>43644934
What is Bolter Drills/Target Practice.?
Most codex chapters follow a set schedule for training and sleep. i dont have the picture but they have to maintain their Armour And Bolters themselves. Most chapters where possible often hint their own game.
>>
>>43644934

So I guess I was coddled in the Marine Corps because I was issued my cammies instead of hand weaving them myself and I didn't have to cook my own meals in the chow hall.

"Coddled".
>>
>>43644934
>space marines are children because they do their jobs

Their job isn't to cook or clean.

IG don't do their own laundry either. Just because someone does your laundry for you because you are too busy doing an even more important job like KEEPING HUMANITY ALIVE doesn't mean you're coddled.
>>
>>43644934

Space Marines do work for their food. They aren't fed for doing nothing.

In fact, nobody in the Imperium has to "work for their food" by your logic, except the agri-world farmers. By your retarded ass logic, only farmers, cooks, and laundry women are adults.
>>
>>43645678
Wolves on fenris don't have cubs or pups only degenarate mutant spawn.
>>
>>43646122

They prefer to call those "neophytes", Anonymous.
>>
>>43629400
Not really.
They are not sent into battle as children.
They are more like Spartans or Janissaries.
Elite slave soldiers trained from a very early age.
While yes, Spartan soldiers were higher in status, they were still far from free people.
House Nigger is still a boy.
>>
File: marine.png (580 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
marine.png
580 KB, 600x400
>>43629400
Are US Marines just overgrown child soldiers? Indoctrinated with violent war "simulators" (CoD lel), force fed patriotic movies and books, taught to play violent sports, then at the age of 18 put through brutal training, after which they are given a gun and told to kill Jihadi John to protect Murica.
>>
Are warriors just overgrown gaunts?
>>
>>43649077
They are Damn close
>>
>>43645563
Overhyped
>>
>>43629483
How are they like teenagers? Teenagers are defined by insecurity, egotism, and self-fulfillment. Mahreens are literally trained to purge all these things from them.

Marines have higher IQ's than normal humans (shit like photographic memory is standard) and live for hundreds of years.
>>
>>43650066
does anyone want to search the archive for a post about how well Space Marines would do in normal life? It talks about a Space Wolf Baker making huge building sized croissants that are wolf Themed
>>
>>43638291
Recruiting officers roaming hive cities, looking for most violent juvenile gangs, watching them fight to death
and then abducting the survivors, if they proved to be bad ass motherfuckers seems to be pretty often used recruiting method.

Others recruit actual child soldiers and then there are those who recruit from more primitive worlds where cults to provide fresh recruits for "angels of death from sky" work hard brainwashing and testing young males.

War orphans make a steady supply of potential marines.

Hell, some even take volunteers.
>>
>>43650955
>Some even take volunteers

Chirst are there any good stories about that? what kind of desperate suicidal fool would want to sign up to become a superhuman living weapon?
>>
>>43650991

People who live shit lives. We have people volunteering to be suicide bombers and rebel fighters even today. Even first world military volunteers are technically idiots, speaking from experience having enlisted in the infantry.
>>
>>43650991
Blood Angels, kinda.
They held contests for willing aspirants. These end with many dead kids.
And the kids will come despite this, because Baal is shit world and its people sickly and desperate.
>>
>>43631005
>>43631005
>But they are. They've got oversized human heads and they worship the same god the citizens do and speak the same language.

They are posthuman, they literally do not understand fear, they are psycho-indoctrinated fanatic cyber-monks who rarely if ever interact with anyone other than themselves. This is backed up in every piece of lore written about them ever.

The fact they speak gothic means fucking nothing. Also 95% of them do not follow the imperial creed. Do you even know what 40k is?
>>
I always thought that they were beings that had more artificial ingredients than a Milky Way candy bar. :c
>>
>>43629400

Yes. It's the more grimdark option, so the answer is yes by default.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.