[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yu Gi Oh RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1442935900230.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1442935900230.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Has anyone tried to homebrew a system for a yu-gi-oh rpg? I remember in a different thread people telling their experiences with the idea.
>>
>>43627681
No need for homebrew.
There's Card Ranker.
>>
>>43627681
Grab a simple Dice and Skill Mechanic from any other game you like for all the trivial stuff that leads up to a duel.
Resolve Combat by grabbing your Cards and playing the tcg.
There you have it, functional Yugi-RPG.
>>
>>43627681
Do we need to use catapult turtle to shatter the ring of something something causing a moon to fall on the enemy units?
>>
>>43627786
>Resolve Combat by grabbing your Cards and playing the tcg.

People aren't interested in playing the TCG, though. They're interested in playing the ridiculous, hyper stylized version of the game as seen in the anime.

It doesn't exactly fit the mood to spend a bunch of turns futzing about, before someone activates a trap card on your big, ultrahype play and offs you.

Also, this requires the GM to have like, 50 decks, and means no skill variation in the opponents.

It's kind of like having a Beyblade anime actually represented by Beyblades. It's neat in concept, but as soon as you put a seconds thought into it it falls apart.
>>
>>43627681
Use Fate Core, fiddle with adding card-related shenanigans to your skill list.
>>
>>43627681
FATE has several good qualities that would fit a Yu-Gi-Oh game quite nicely.
>Characters are archetypical, with 1-2 main defining traits and a handful of skills
>Luck is the core 'resource' and most characters have to choose between having lots of cool stuff (Kaiba, Marik, Pegasus) and having absurd luck (Yugi, Joey, etc.)
>Characters can choose to take disadvantages instead of getting hurt or dying; getting shoved into a playing card, soul going to the shadow realm, having your evil dark side take over your body, etc. are all completely valid means of not dying

Characters could have several skills be related to card games, like the following:
>Wealth would let you buy or otherwise access higher-quality cards
>Composure would help resist all sorts of psychic shenanigans or penalty games
>Insight might let you try to understand what your opponent is planning
>Tactics might let you sequence cards in ways that pull off combos
>Charm might let you distract or otherwise intimidate your opponent, or fool them into thinking you have supernatural powers (cough) (cough)
>Magic might let you do shit like set up Shadow Realm games or otherwise mess with the stakes or consequences of the card games

Those are just a few examples. Look up FATE if you don't already know it and see if you like it.
>>
Card Ranker is Yugioh with the serial numbers filed off
>>
>>43628236
Is it only out in Japan?
>>
>>43628236
How does that play?
>>
I've basically played freeform silliness, where rules only had a place when there was a duel. We all had decks and just bullshitted card interactions. We were basically playing Mornington Crescent. I was the GM, and I let the players win one they'd been sufficiently silly.
>>
>>43627681
Just play the card game?
>>
>>43628236
Has it been translated?
>>
>>43628254
come out last year and no sight of a western release.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.