[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All elves in your setting have been replaced by protoss. How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Artanis_SC2_Art1.jpg (167 KB, 550x815) Image search: [Google]
Artanis_SC2_Art1.jpg
167 KB, 550x815
All elves in your setting have been replaced by protoss. How does this affect your campaign?
>>
I play OW, Eldar have stronger shields and that's it
>>
The setting just got a lot less generic. Psionic elves isn't new, but it's a more interesting flavour than downright tolkensien wood/high elves.
>>
Does this mean all those sixth world scholars that said psionics is just an imperfect understanding of magic were wrong after all?
>>
>>43623793
Everyone else is fucked.
>>
>>43623793
>no elves
Absolutely fuck-all.
>>
>>43623793
How do they eat without mouths?
>>
>>43623793

My setting is Science Fantasy, and the elves have a strong focus on psionics. It changes little.
>>
>>43623793
My setting has no elves, so I guess all it does is change in-universe fiction
>>
>>43623793
writing somehow gets worse
>>
>>43624124
Protoss are slugs, they eat with their feet.
>>
>>43624333
Does that mean that a protoss footjob is also a blowjob?
>>
>>43624124
Photosynthesis.
>>
>>43624333
Huh, in another thread a bit ago I think I read that they don't eat at all, but perform something similair to photosynthesis. Can you give me a source on what you said?

Might get the Field Manual and try to make a Starcraft campaign
>>
>>43623793
you mean besides no longer being pansies?

>>43624124
Photosynthesis

No, seriously, that's the actual lore
>>
>>43624396
I always assumed they fed psychically from stuff. Dark Protoss from the Void and normal Protoss from Auir.
>>
>>43624427
That would actually make more sense than what they've come up with. Photosynthesis is an incredibly inefficient way of consuming energy, it can't work on organisms more complex than plants.

Calorie density is the key to cognition, which is why the smartest animals tend to be at the top of the food chain; carnivores eat herbivores eat plants. To be as smart as they are and channel as much psychic phenomenon as they do, the protoss gastrointestinal system ought to look like an organic zero point energy reactor.
>>
nothing since we don't have elves.

>>43624427
>I always assumed they fed psychically from stuff. Dark Protoss from the Void and normal Protoss from Khala.

FTFY
>>
>>43623793
Political marriages between species have become slightly different kind of fun. Also there's a lot less halfbreeds running around.
>>
>>43624573
Do protoss even have multiple sexes if they are slugs?
>>
>>43623793
I don't know how three half-wit fighters and their wizard employer are going to go about constructing additional pylons, but I'm ready to find out!
>>
>>43624613
They are not slugs, that anon was bulshitting you. And they definitely do have separate sexes, there was already a matriarch in Brood War so even if you don't consider SC2 female protoss there is precedent.
>>
>>43624573
Nah, the halfbreeds just look different.
>>
>>43623793
Elves are essentially extinct Ancient Aliens style. Nothing much changes directly, except all the fey look a tad more Alien then usual, and the NotOrcs will need a complete redesign
>>
>>43624687
Do the 'toss have reproductive organs?
>>
>>43624801
They'd have to, they have different genders and such. I assume they reproduce sexually.

Wasn't there mention of a father and son or similar relation?
>>
>>43624855
Vorazun, the matriarch of the Dark Templar in Legacy of the Void, is the daughter of Raszagal, matriarch during Brood War.
>>
>>43624613
>>43624855
>>43624917
Protoss do have males and females, and concepts like brothers/sisters, mothers/fathers are familiar to them, so that implies sexual reproduction.

However, the Lore book that comes with Legacy of the Void's collectors edition states that the protoss do not have orifices of any kind, so the way they actually do the babymaking does evidently not involve any horizontal tango.

Maybe they do it like the Kroot, and deliver genetic data via skin? So sexytime would be backrubs for the toss.
That just leaves the question of how the babby is born.
>>
>>43624917
I didn't know that. Not getting Legacy of the Void due to no comp.

But thanks for the info.
>>
>>43625009
Budding maybe?
>>
>>43625009
>no penis
>no vagina
Why live?
>>
>>43625050
For Aiur obvs.
>>
>>43623793
The campaign ends because all players refuse to take part in the idiocy of arbitrarily retconning the entirety of elven existence in the setting.
>>
>>43625009
Maybe a temporary version of how Angler Fish mate. Or they get naked, embrace, and perform some complicated version of Karyogamy?
>>
>>43625050
Where we are going, there is no need for penors or vagoos.
Sexy backrubs, and amazing, psionic mindsex await!
>>
File: 2700.png (259 KB, 950x450) Image search: [Google]
2700.png
259 KB, 950x450
>>43625050
>>
>>43623793
Jokes on you, all my elves are already dead and/or zombified.

I'm sure that Atropus would've made an impact on them, though. Also, Father Llymic. Gotta love how he makes light just stop being a thing in the setting.
>>
How DO Protoss breed?
>>
>>43625197
Clearly sexually, but not via fucking.
The rest is up in the air, and I doubt Blizzard will shed any light on it.

The facts that we do know are as follows:
>Protoss have 2 genders.
>Prooss children exist.
>Protoss lack any orifices in their bodies.
>>
>>43623793
You just gave me an awesome idea, thank You oh OP!
>>
>>43625228
>>43625197
Cloning? They're certainly advanced enough to splice DNA from the two parents together.
>>
>>43625228
that pretty much leaves two options
a) some sort of osmosis
b) traumatic insemination
>>
>>43625228
I'm going to disregard the whole no orifices thing. That's stupid and dumb. It's like telling little kids that babies come from a stork that drops them down their parents' chimney. Protoss clearly have sexual organs because they reproduce sexually and that is that.
>>
>>43625228
Maybe there's a third birthing gender that we don't know about.
>>
>>43625009
Oh the Field manual is in the CE? How good is it? Is there enough information to use it for a Campaign/Setting?
>>
>>43625197
See>>43625080
Birthing probably invloves budding, or the formation of a fruiting body
>>
>>43625267
I doubt that their reproduction is technolgically assisted, as they basically regressed back into tribalism and stone age tech after the Xel Naga left.

>>43625269
Seeing how they gain nutrients via basically osmosis trough their skin I'm gonna go with that.
Now the matter is how the actual baby gets into the world.

>>43625285
You may disagree with it, but it is official canon just as is the fact that protoss are photosynthetic, and feed trough their skin.

>>43625288
Doubtful.

>>43625328
It is pretty neat, though the unit descriptions themselves are kinda too short imo. Just few paragraphs at best. The art is gorgeous though, and there are various appendix materials, including stuff about both the protoss and the zerg. That is where the "no orifices" thing is from.
>>
>>43625269
They could also do something like an archon merge. It's well established that protoss can transform their bodies into energy. Zealots use it as a combat technique. Maybe when a male and female protoss merge their essences, it can result in insemination.
>>
>>43623793
I end the campaign and start a new one.
>>
>>43625405
Doesn't explain what they were doing before they got hi-tech.
Remember, they were savages on Aiur for a very long time.
>>
>>43624427
>>43624516

It would actually be pretty neat if the Protoss ate the "essence" of food, rather than raw psychic stuff or sunlight.
>>
>>43625429
It isn't a technologically assisted phenomenon, it's a psionic one.

And there's no telling what the protoss were like prior to their uplift.

>>43625378
>You may disagree with it, but it is official canon
Yeah, no. There is no such thing as official canon where Blizzard is concerned, so long as all continuity is fluid. Legacy of the Void just took a huge, steaming shit all over SC/BW's canon. Canon doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
>>
>>43623793
None at all. Rest of the races got fed up with elves. Living forever, knowing great and crazy knowledge, naturally gifted with magic and they go and waste it on petty things to avoid manual labor and further useless research while they could have made world peace and cured the sick. massive armies formed and the elves being idiots and pet themselves into natural pockets of seclusion. They were surrounded and seperated before the first blades of war were even forged. elves are dead and gone, their half elf offspring are magic slaves working for the betterment of all kinds, and their hoarded knowledge is available and taught to all with the advent of printed paper and a moderated education system.
>>
>>43625426
In a different seeing? Because OP's statement concerned the setting, not your campaign.
>>
>>43624491
>Calorie density is the key to cognition, which is why the smartest animals tend to be at the top of the food chain; carnivores eat herbivores eat plants. To be as smart as they are and channel as much psychic phenomenon as they do, the protoss gastrointestinal system ought to look like an organic zero point energy reactor.

They weren't described as having "Purity of Form" for nothing, anon. The Protoss are effectively the most advanced species in the galaxy.
>>
File: 1377546797342.jpg (12 KB, 251x206) Image search: [Google]
1377546797342.jpg
12 KB, 251x206
>>43625009
>>43625029
>>43625050

Maybe the baby gestates in a Khaydarin crystal?
>>
>>43625560
Again, you may disagree, but it is canon as far as blizzard is concerned.
I don't like it either, but the fact is that Blizzard has been basically rebooting Starcraft since Wings of Liberty, with a completely new tone and story, and only using SC/BW as a source material that they can contradict whenever they themselves see fit.

SC2 is not a proper sequel to Brood War story wise, as sad it is.
>>
>>43625685
I could get behind this. It explains why you can't have more units without pylons.
> WE NEED MORE WARRIORS!
> BUILD SOME FUCKING SPACE EGGS TO HATCH THEM!
>>
>>43625685
If they have, in their current form, always been able to Transform into energy as another anon upthread mentioned, maybe a female and male 'toss get into their energy states, merge a bit essence of both into another energy being, help it into physical form and then get back themselves. Or something.
Probably a pretty stupid idea, but eh. Putting it out anyways
>>
>>43625081
>psionic mindsex
Talk about a mind fuck.
>>
>>43626359
Since >>43624687 posted an asari as an example of what a half-protoss might look like, I'm imagining protoss sex as basically the Liara romance option from Mass Effect.
>>
>>43626359
Here is a crazy thought, but what if the female protoss shed "seeds" from their skin after the whole sexy backrub thing, and those seeds are planted, and from them, babby protoss are born, with the nerve cords being sorta roots for them as they grow?
>>
>>43624124
They insert pylons inside their anuses.
>>
>>43626643
But they have no anuses.
>>
>>43625065
Underrated post.
>>
>>43626601
That could work. They are photosynthetic after all.
>>
>>43625197
>>43625228
>>43625269
Psiblades, Anon.
Psiblades.

Like with snails, except they have defined genders.

And you thought that white part was ethereal energy or some dumb shit.
>>
>>43626702
>the basic protoss warrior unit uses a laser penis to fight bugs

I don't care what anyone says, this is my canon now.
>>
>>43626702
>They're making you explode from the inside with burning blades of jizz
>Sometimes they fire it at you from afar

Protoss are Bydo given a few million years to evolve a civilization.
>>
>>43623793
The "Elven" kingdom gets easily conquered and the Protoss are wiped out without Kerrigan to save them.
>>
>>43623793
Lots of mixed families in my setting, things are getting akward.

>Berac Skullcleaver is one of the most succesful monster slayers in the bleeding mountains and single father
>Yet he find himself in a completely new challenge as one day his four year old daughter is turned into a mouthless alien
>Hijinks ensue as a dorky human scholar moves in to study the case, much to Berac's disdain
>>
>>43624674
Actually it Dark Templar that are matriarchal.
>>
>>43629096
That poor girl will never know the joy of sucking dick.
>>
>>43623793
>How does this affect your campaign?
Faggot McFaggotson That Player makes a Warlock Contract with Amon. Nothing else changes.
>>
I would have used the Githzari for this myself
>>
>>43629224
Githrazi didn't just have a vidya come out.
>>
>>43629245
No I mean as the ones to be swapped with protoss
>>
>>43629334
Oh. Maybe. Now that the Tal'darim are basically protoss drow, the elf analogue seems stronger.
>>
>>43623793
Seeing how elves are extinct in my campaign, absolutely nothing happens.
>>
>>43624124 >>43624491
Photosynthesis confirmed.
Thread relevant(?): it has some extremely BS but "you tried" numbers on how that'd work out
http://gamelore.tumblr.com/post/38693415201/protoss-physiology
>>
>>43623793
>Elves are extinct
>Protoss are extinct
I guess the ruins and suchlike are different?
>>
Ok I'm just going to post this for the whole thread

Protoss photosynthesis doesn't work like plant photosynthesis, protoss obsorb a wide range of the EM spectrum up to and including cosmic background radiation and get nutriants from osmossis
>>
>>43629614
Sounds like the organic zero point reactor idea holds weight to it then
>>
>>43629500
Glowy-er, maybe. Higher chance of disintegration than regular elf ruins.
>>
>>43624362
*protosssynthesis
>>
>>43629614
So the difference is.......? Just what wavelengths they take in? I mean obviously they're not green so it's not chlorophyll. I guess I'm curious what point you thought you were making.
>>
>>43625197
However they do it, they will probably start doing alot of it now that they basically have to rebuild their race following the fall of Aiur, the destruction of Shakuras, and Amon fucking with the Khala.

Artanis better have gotten a harem end
>>
>>43630379
Selendis, Vorazun and Rohana. At the same time.
>>
>>43629727
He means that they're more efficient in drawing energy since its not limited to solar power, but a whole spectrum of pseudo-sci-fi bullshit.

As for reproduction - There are no Protoss children. They're effectively born adults. And since Protoss can manifest themselves as energy constructs, this brings to mind that maybe they're incubated from inside a Pylon from the energies of a male and female protoss and finally emerge as a full grown adult when they can 'stabilize' their own energy by themselves.
>>
>>43630410
There are other people who said it higher up but you're the most recent so replying to you.

Like 80% sure protoss didn't have the crystals the entire time they existed. 100% certain they aren't used in reproduction. It does make sense, but the various books have basically ruled that entirely out without actually saying anything on the subject explicitly.

I am 100% (deez percents right) behind trying to make them make sense, but they have sexual dimorphism...thus they're a sexual species...that doesn't have orifices at all because....reasons.
>>
File: Sieppaa.png (194 KB, 334x429) Image search: [Google]
Sieppaa.png
194 KB, 334x429
>>43630410
>there are no protoss children.
>they're effectively born adults.

Source of fuck off.
The Reclamation animation clearly showcases a Protoss family, with a child, and a mother and a father.
Pic related.
>>
>>43630477
>that doesn't have orifices at all because....reasons.
Because they are aliens.

It has been established in the fluff that their skin is extremely complex, and can absorb nutrients etc trough it. It is not much of a stretch to assume that they pass their genes during sexy times that way as well.

The real question is how are protoss babbies born.
>>
>>43624333
That's Andalites.
>>
>>43630528
I still prefer the psychic energy fusion sex idea, myself.
>>
>>43630389
Fuck Rohana, she a bitch.

My boy Artanis knows better than to stick his blue dick in crazy.
>>
>>43630410
>And since Protoss can manifest themselves as energy constructs, this brings to mind that maybe they're incubated from inside a Pylon from the energies of a male and female protoss and finally emerge as a full grown adult when they can 'stabilize' their own energy by themselves.

Cut off the part about being incubated within a Pylon and its plausible that a female toss is incubating a Baby Toss within her but not as a fetus - but as a blob of energy
>>
>>43630610
He'll fuck the crazy out of her. Have faith in your boy.
>>
Regardless of whether it's good or bad, additional pylons must be constructed.
>>
File: BlackVulcan.jpg (18 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
BlackVulcan.jpg
18 KB, 280x210
>>43630825
I'm constructing a pylon right now.
>>
What purpose does a Pylon have anyways?

Are they something like servers for the Khala network or something?
>>
>>43630872
basically power generators for buildings and allow for direct warping of troops.
>>
>>43630872
They power structures.
>>
>>43630872
>>43630913
>>43630914
All of these.
>>
>>43629727
It means that they're takeing in more that 100x more power
>>43630872
It's a power structure but also a kala relay so basically yeah
>>
>>43630545
This people are super confused about protoss biology and seem to be mixing them up with namekians and andalites
Christ I'm a nerd
>>
So what happens now /tg/?

Are all Protoss babby going to be nerve-circumcised at birth now? Or with Amon dead will there be a movement to rebuild the Khala with the next generation?
>>
>>43631299
>people are super confused about protoss biology
Only because protoss biology is super confusing.
>>
File: earth pride korprulu wide.jpg (37 KB, 600x289) Image search: [Google]
earth pride korprulu wide.jpg
37 KB, 600x289
>>43631478
Wars have been fought over less, anon. And history is doomed to repeat.

I'm incredibly excited to never see that plot thread exploited.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>43623793
Original lore was they nourish themselves with energy from Kaydarin crystals, which is why you need pylons to support troop pop as well as buildings.
>>
>>43631478
The Khala might be rebuilt with the psi matrix, although it's unlikely for a long time.

The whole point of the khala was to stop a civil war and prevent the clans from tearing each other to shreds. With the recent events, the Khala isn't really necessary.
>>
I'll just leave this here.

>>>/aco/185218
>>
>>43631561
No it wasn't photosynthesis is sc1
>>
>>43631478
>>43631579

Good question, I would wager they start rebuilding the Khala, which inevitably leads to ANOTHER Schism among the Protoss. The Protoss, though it's easy to forget because of Executor UNITY MCUNION FACE, are all HOT BLOODED as fuck, and generally need some way/means to channel that HOT BLOODEDness or they start murderfucking each other. That was the point of the Khala, as well as the Templar Brotherhood and the Caste System. It allowed the protoss to channel how fucking ALL READY ALL THE TIME they were into productive channels, while receiving support and positive reinforcement from their fellow 'toss.

>>43631621
Nigger I have the manual around here somewhere, I am almost certain it says they received nourishment from the Kaydarin crystals.
>>
>>43631630
By all means
>>
>>43625104
1000 years is pretty old for a Protoss
>>
>>43631684
I can;t, I have work soon and i'm too fucking lazy to get up. I'll concede to you. But man I could've sworn... oh well. It doesn't matter because Blizzard gives 0 fucks about it's past writing.
>>
>>43631751
>Blizzard gives 0 fucks about it's past writing
For truth. There was some grade A worldbuilding in the StarCraft manual and all of it just got thrown right the hell out when StarCraft II came around.
>>
File: 1416782973862.png (72 KB, 286x301) Image search: [Google]
1416782973862.png
72 KB, 286x301
>>43632251
>>
I just sat through an hour load of LOV cutscenes and I still have no fucking clue what Amon's deal is.

So space manatees die and reborn constantly with the universe and he hates this... why? I still have no idea why he's so butthurt about everything.

Only anti race ressurection angst I've seen before is from Wakfu from Quilby, but at least he had the excuse of being the unique snowflake that remembers his past lives. Amon is just normal Xelnaga and butthurt for some reason?
>>
>>43633298
It's never elaborated on. He just seems to have decided that he didn't want to be a space manatee, anymore, so he was going to uplift his own purity of form and purity of essence and use them to make a physical body to house his consciousness in this dimension. No explanation is ever given for why this is advantageous, since he already seems to be pretty godlike.

The whole eternal cycle thing is such incredible bullshit, anyway. So, somehow, we're supposed to believe that the incomprehensibly long life of the universe - not the galaxy, the UNIVERSE - is the xel'naga's gestational period, beginning with the insemination of all life in that universe by the xel'naga, the course of evolution on an incalculably large number of worlds until, eventually, two separate species evolve - on their own, without any interference - to represent the incredibly arbitrary criteria of purity of form and purity of essence.

Then, somehow, those species find their way to the warp rift that the xel'naga came from and - what, ascend in their billions to become new xel'naga?

Which, by the way, can be either a space manatee like Amon and Ouros, or a fiery angel like Kerrigan.

And then the cycle starts over again?

That's not just circuitous, that's downright labyrinthine. It doesn't even make sense in context. And why the fucking hell does the sci-fi franchise need a fantasy trope like elder gods warring over creation?

The whole Amon arc just left me enraged. Thank God the mission design was enjoyable, at least, because I might've legitimately lost my shit, otherwise. As it is, I can't even bring myself to finish the epilogue. After all this other bullshit, fiery angel xel'naga Kerrigan is a bridge too far.
>>
I'm confused as to how Karrigan even became Xel'naga. Even with Ouros feeding her his life energy she's just Pure of Essence. Where did the Purity of Form come enter the equation there? When that cutscene began I honestly though Kerrigan and Artanis were gonna do the fusion dance to form the next Xel'naga. AT least that would have made sense
>>
>>43633450
It's Phoenix Force Kerrigan
>>
>>43633985

She was a fucking potent psyker after the infestation and the Xel Naga artifact probably force fed her a lot psionic energy that awoke when she becomes the QoB again
>>
>>43634240
But Ouros looks at Artanis when commenting on the Purity of Form. In addition we also have him comment that both of them made it there. Plus Artanis was needed to open the gates to the Xel'naga ealier. All of that suggests that they go full archon.
>>
>>43634282
They didn't want to sully their pure zerg waifu with protoss dick.

Actually, a more inspired choice would've been to have Rohana insist on merging with Kerrigan, since Artanis' leadership was too important to the unified protoss race and she didn't really have a place in it with the end of the khala and caste system.

Which is clearly why it didn't happen.
>>
>>43634325
No, Rohana really isn't a forward thinker like that. She is grossed about humans possessing mouths for cripes sake, do you think she will just offer to fuse with bug hitler?
>>
>>43634359
She has an ax to grind against Amon, I think she'd be prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure his destruction.
>>
I liked the lore better when the xel'naga were dead because the zerg fucking ate them.

The Overmind did nothing wrong.
>>
>>43634387
By that logic, every protoss would be lining up to fuse with kerrigan pussy, and that doesn't make a lick of sense.

More sensible thing would be to just be done without the epilogue or both Kerrigan and Artanis shoot space laser to obliterate Amon.

Or, thirdly they just fuck off and invent something else to make amon permabanned. With the most of the Xelnaga dead, Zeratul's prophesy was already starting to fall apart, might as well go full grimdark hopeless where they need to find a completely different way to seal Amon. Hell, they could've self destructed the hedron or something for the destruction. Or Artanis sacrifices himself like Tassadar did.

Jesus, the plot could've gone everywhere.
>>
>>43634453
This was what I'd hoping they'd do, subvert the prophecy shit with the prophecy being btfo so they have to come up with their own solution which involves macguyvering protoss tech and zerg bioshit together with the keystone to make a giant fuck you laser

Also did anyone else get really fucking mad at the laziness of names? SOLARITE, BLOOD CRYSTALS, AKDJSBSJDJS
>>
>>43623793
Given the intensity with which elves were sexualized in my campaign, this change makes it substantially less fun. Unless "YOU NEED MORE PYLONS" is now just a euphemism for something ;)
>>
>>43634521
I was fine with solarite since it's used for making a miniature sun. My problem was that EVERY SIDE MISSION involved collecting solarite. I thought these things were rare? why the fuck is solarite everywhere?
>>
File: likefeelsintherain.png (465 KB, 680x762) Image search: [Google]
likefeelsintherain.png
465 KB, 680x762
>you'll never be one with the Khala
>you'll never feel the glory of combining thought and action with your Templar brothers on the battlefield
>you'll never march against the Swarm with phaseblades slicing through chitin and biomass in a whirlwind of righteous fury
>you'll never find a loving, dutiful wife who gives you beautiful children whose voices in your mind give you further clarity and discipline
>you'll never give your life for Aiur
>>
>>43633985
>>43634240
>>43634282
>>43634325
>>43634359
>>43634387
>>43634453
>>43634521
Sadly, the entire Epilogue to Legacy of the Void makes perfect sense, when you consider they wanted to make an ending for the series that was clean enough to establish future games there, especially since there's still that rabid fanbase demanding a starcraft mmo.

And the fact that last year Blizzard cancelled another mmo they were working on.

And MMOs, especially ones that pretend they have a huge overarching story, thrive on the concept of "Oh my god, this character who vanished forever is returned, and you get to team up with her husbando to save her in this high end dungeon/raid!"
>>
>>43625065
Very underrated post.
>>
>>43634693
Being clean is terrible for establishing future games though. Basically every single conflict has been resolved into neutral state at this point. Zerg being assholes or Taldarim being assholes are the only possible avenue now.

I mean, wrath of the lich king had hype because of the cliffhanger of WC3.
>>
>>43634761
If they wanted to do a Starcraft MMO, which I honestly admit I would play because I'm a shill for Blizzard, then hype isn't necessarily required from the plot itself. People would be hyped for hype's sake. Really, you can play it safe and get the same results as taking risks, so why take the risk at all when you can just invent a reason for players to slap the shit of asshole A and asshole B?
>>
>>43634761
Considering that the entire story takes place within the korprulu sector, which is only a fraction of the galaxy, there's plenty of room for new stuff to happen.

Maybe while humans, zerg, and protoss were fucking around with the xel'naga shit was happening back on earth, and that'll show up in the next trilogy.

Meanwhile back on Terra, the Earth and its surrounding systems have been unified under the hand of an incredibly powerful immortal psionic human. Giant legions of genetically-mondified super soldiers under the command of even stronger beings, said to be intentionally imperfect clones of the leader of Terra, are reconquering the stars, including the Koprulu sector...
>>
>>43634855
That's the kind of hubris that wrecks companies. WoW lost so many people during Pandaria, even if it's still a cash cow.

Currently Blizzard has a lot of flack for their financial handling of games so the last thing they need to do is make the content even more shitty.
>>
>>43635017
Flak from who? Everyone thought Hearthstone would fail, now it makes them like two million a month.
>>
>>43635034
Overwatch and Diablo 3 has gotten flak for the business model.
>>
>>43623793
Doesn't that make the Protoss the lewdest race in the setting?
>>
>>43635067
>Protoss are quick to detect unity.jpg
>>
>>43635060

What's Overwatch's business model?
>>
>>43635060
>Overwatch
Oh no! Someone's actually asking you to BUY A FUCKING GAME AND GET EVERYTHING instead of putting characters behind a paywall/DLC!
>>
>>43634855
Of World of StarCraft happens, what would the playable races be? Just Terran, Protos & Zerg? What about Hybrids & others? I don't think that they have as much diversity as 40k there.
>>
>>43625065
EXTREMELY underrated post.
>>
Where the sexy Protoss at?
>>
>>43635382
I don't even know what a playable Zerg character would look like. Like, put aside character creation, what would classes be?
>>
>>43625476
>they eat prana
Protoss confirmed for very, very advanced Hindu.
>>
>>43635483
No classes. Start as a larva, disregard bitches, acquire biomass. Infest shit, get swole.
>>
>>43635067
>THE MERGING IS COMPLETE
>all half-elves are now archons

Welp.
>>
File: 1417218479498.gif (3 MB, 375x346) Image search: [Google]
1417218479498.gif
3 MB, 375x346
>>43635625
It's very possible. I mean, their psychic abilities already let them do crazy bullshit, why not suck prana/mana/chi/orenda/od from the void?

>>43635634
>starting zone as some shitty larva, eventually become ultralisk
>mfw
>>
>>43635483

Primal Zerg, classless system

Kill Mobs, Acquire Essence.

Instead of phat loot, raid bosses have a chance to drop genetic sequences
>>
>>43635654
POWER OVERWHELMING
>>
>>43635676
Sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of loot you get dgenetics and biomass, instead of exp you get essence
>>
File: 1401342514081.jpg (121 KB, 352x338) Image search: [Google]
1401342514081.jpg
121 KB, 352x338
>>43635676
>>43635696
>mfw intentionally ganking low-level female protoss for their sweet, sweet essence
>>
>>43635676
>primal Zerg
>essence
pls no
>>
My setting doesn't have Elves - life goes on as normal.
>>
>>43635900
ESSENCE ESSENCE ESSENCE ESSENCE ACQUIRE ESSENCE TO FIX GIMPY TREX ARM ESSENCE
>>
>>43635103
You buy the game and get the game. Then they sell you shit so you can play the game.
>>
File: CTV1kP-UsAAzTQP.png (191 KB, 600x617) Image search: [Google]
CTV1kP-UsAAzTQP.png
191 KB, 600x617
>>43635970
>>
>>43623793
Are we including dark elves? Because that's like 2.
>>
File: Dehaka_SC2-HotS_Story1.jpg (81 KB, 800x564) Image search: [Google]
Dehaka_SC2-HotS_Story1.jpg
81 KB, 800x564
>>43635900
>saying no to essence
>ever
>mfw
>>
>>43636047
that left hand on the right is really fucked up.
>>
>>43636066
You see that stump under his left mandible? That's what's left of his other little arm.

It's not that Dehaka has one normal arm and one fugged up arm, it's that his particular breed of primal zerg has 4 arms (2 big and 2 little), but Dehaka's maimed from a lifetime of survival.
>>
>>43624124
Seconding the energy thing. I swear that was part of the SC1 lore, although that may have changed.

Regardless of whether its their only source of energy, High Templar draw energy from their psychic collective and Dark Templar cut their head-tails off and draw from space. That used to be a big deal, but then in SC1 the Zerg fucked up both their home planets and now they work together; some of the protoss units have gold armour and the others have silver armour.
>>
>>43636148
And then SC2 fucked their entire race up an there are also spiky red Sith Protoss and protossminators.
>>
>>43636239
Implying the Space ISIS aren't the best
>>
>>43636247
Conehead is pretty great, but they're not very Protoss-y as a faction.
>>
>>43636255
>Space Satan betrayed us
>our tradition demands that betrayal must be avenged or face is lost
>therefore, we must kill Space Satan or it'd be a damn shamefur display
>>
>>43636255
No they aren't, extremist protoss conservatives would be better instead of 'toss death cult.
>>
>>43636267
The conservatives are ded, though.
I could see a religious Protoss faction, even one dedicated to Space Satan as creator (preserving the plot outline), but they went quite overboard. I'd prefer Fremen instead of Sith.
>>
>>43636259
I love that their justification for turning on Aemon is "he fucked with us now we gotta go kill his ass". Absolutely no concern about morality or the fate of the universe, just that murder tradition demands it.
>>
>>43636286
True, the conservatards all died with the Judicator when he went full retard didn't they?
>>
>>43636294
The player personally kills like half the Judicator caste in SC1.
>>
>>43636288
It's even better when you realize it's probably Amon that shaped those traditions.
>>
>>43636294
>when he went full retard
Aldaris was right, though. The problem is no one believed him.
>>
>>43623793
Ohhhh noooo

everything is 145% more gay now

god damn it
>>
>>43636315
He was right but instead of telling anyone he has an armed insurrection
>>
>>43636400
Not like anyone else was going to listen to him. The Matriarch was already infested, meaning turning to any DT was out. Raynor was too busy mirin' Kerrigan to envision betrayal, and Artanis wasn't going to act if Zeratul and Raynor didn't. Plus people still remembered that he was wrong about Tassadar. It's a wonder he managed to gather troops to start with.
>>
>>43635976

What do you mean with the second part? Is it subscription like WoW?
>>
>>43636294
The Judicators fought twice, the first time against their own and the second against Kerrigan.

Protoss are scattered enough no single tribe could be wiped out though.
>>
>>43629379
Githzerai and Githyanki, son.

Replace Xel'Naga with Illithids, Amon with some ancient Aboleth, Zergs with Beholder/Neogi coalition and you can go Spelljamming.
>>
>>43624645
This
>>
>>43636002
Tal'darim are Dark Elves, Nerazim are Wood Elves, Templar are High Elves.
>>
>>43636096
You find his big arm when you kill the primal Zerg leaders.
>>
>>43635382
>Space of StarCraft
FIFY
>>
>>43635483
Either primal Zerg, or lesser Brood Mothers
>>
>>43623793
It's not rape if it's a protoss.
>>
>>43637941
You can try and rape a protoss. I don't know how well that's going to work out for you, though.
>>
File: Explain further.png (52 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
Explain further.png
52 KB, 180x240
>>43635625
>eat prana
Well now I'm reminded of Saber's 2nd H-scene. I never thought /tg/ could do that.
>>
You know whats weird? Zeratul has nipples.

Why is it weird, well assume that mean the Protoss have nipples. For what purpose they don't have mouths. I guess that's just their version of appendix.
>>
Playing SC2 protoss campaign right now, finished Shakuras missions, Artanis is a badass.
>>
File: Adept_SC2-LotV_Story1.png (454 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Adept_SC2-LotV_Story1.png
454 KB, 500x500
>>43640303
>Zeratul has nipples.
Makes sense. Vorazun and Rohana are both pretty flat, but Selendis and Lasarra wear pretty curvaceous armor. Protoss do canonically have breasts.
>>
>>43640545
Maybe Vorazun and Rohana Photosynthesize less?

Perhaps their weight is directly related to how much exercise they get and how much clothing covers their skin?

So Protoss nudists are really fat by default.
>>
>>43633298
He is an INCREDIBLY one dimensional bland villain, he has no real motivation apart from "I SHOULD BE IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING"

He lives in the shadow realm of the void and has shadow void threshers and monster hybrids and is "the ancient evil" but he literally has no motivations other than "im evil!"
>>
File: darkseid.jpg (187 KB, 640x746) Image search: [Google]
darkseid.jpg
187 KB, 640x746
>>43640842
So he's Darkseid only not as well written?
>>
It's eberron so they turn from hedonistic junkies to zealous pylon junkies?
>>
>>43640545
Why though? They have no mouths
>>
>>43640933
Vestigial organs from before their uplift. Sexy vestigial organs.
>>
>>43640867
Not well written at all, he just kinda shows up outta nowhere, mentioned he is just the universes most ancient evil and the prophecy said he would come, and then is just left to be "totally evil"
>>
>>43640933
They absorb nutrients through their skin, maybe they spray milk on their young?
>>
>>43641243
Breast bukkake?
>>
>>43640902
Scary.

>>43641243
Darn. Protoss biology is crazy.
>>
>>43631551
Reminder that stukov died a heroes death and was never revived and infested.
suggesting so is heresy.
>>
>>43625076
The campaign continues when it comes to light that the ELVES THEMSELVES find this highly perturbing, and it wasn't so much an arbitrary retcon as HOLY FUCK, ERRYONE WITH POINTED EARS JUST MUTATED OVERNIGHT WITH NO SAVING THROWS!
>>
>>43641844
But my husband said he killed him!
>>
Protoss are like 12 feet tall super strong psychics with reality bending technology. They'll probably do fine.
>>
File: GO HOME XENO SCUM.png (270 KB, 602x404) Image search: [Google]
GO HOME XENO SCUM.png
270 KB, 602x404
>>43634944
>kerrigan's head being paraded on a pike through the streets of augustgrad
>>
>>43642729
helena pls.
>>
File: 1274423384698.png (146 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1274423384698.png
146 KB, 1000x1000
>>43625104
Wish Jo would do /tg/ porn again.
>>
>>43643626
Girls kissing girls? But that's heresy!
>>
>>43623793
I don't know what protoss are, so I just play them like elves
>>
>>43624491
Exactly as >>43625611 said, Protoss were DESIGNED by Xel'nagas or Amon, and that's why their photosynthesis works. They are not the product of natural evolution; their bodies are perfect, optimal.
>>
>>43643793
Yeah basically this idk why everyone needs to categorize every race as like elves orcs or dwarfs. Don't just assume
>>
>>43643793
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss
>>
>>43640842
From what I gathered, he didn't want to be enslaved to the cycle any longer, and wanted to put an end to it.
>>
Legit spoilers here for those who haven't played the game yet.
Fenix returns as a Purifier robot, and he is bloody awesome. You can even drop him onto the battlefield, where he wrecks some serious shit.
Well, technically, he isn't Fenix, he is a robot with the personality, and memories of Fenix, and over the course of the game, he struggles to come to terms with his existence.
>>
>>43625378
>>43625009
We know that some protoss are "female" and some others are "male", but we don't know if they reproduce sexually (and I never heard of a protoss child anywhere). It looks possible that protoss genders are just a social thing and that protoss simply do not reproduce. That would explain their inevitable demographic decline.
>>
>>43644752
Fucking bullshit. Just let Fenix RIP in peace, already.
>>
>>43623793
as long as we get Alarak everything will be fine
>this ship is too bright. It hurts my eyes
>>
>>43644767
Except as >>43624917 has already stated, they canonically have mothers and fathers so they clearly reproduce.
>>
>>43644726

So why didn't he just kill himself?
>>
>>43644776
Spoilers senpai.
He is legit awesome though. One of the best things in the game imo, which is something I was really surprised by.

>>43644808
Why kill yourself when you start doing your own spesh conquest, with blackjack and hookers.
>>
>>43644797
Okay, if we go by LoV's additions. However, in Brood War, Vorazun didn't exist yet.
>>
>>43644794
>this ship is too bright
>everyone is so loud
>why won't Artanis shut up about unity?
>my eyes hurt
>I wish I was at home executing underlings
>>
>>43644794
Man that guy has an amazing voice. I could listen to him be snide and arrogant all day.

>>43644834
The fact that the protoss age and that some are younger than others, was canon in Brood War already, and indicates some form of reproduction.
>>
>>43644834
Absence of proof is not proof of absence. By your logic, there are no Terran children, either, because we never see any.
>>
>>43644726
Nigga thats not "what you gathered" that's literally what he said, multiple fucking times. And its still meaningless and explains nothing.

Why does he think the cycle is corrupt? Why does he think he is "enslaved" to it despite the fact he seems to already "exist" and does not need Purity of Essence and Purity of Form to "birth" him. Why is is superior host body made up of Protoss and Overmind bits just like the hybrids are fusions of Protoss and Zerg? Isn't that just what the cycle dictates happen anyway? Duran says that when his physical form was killed he was banished to the Void, same thing happens to Amon. So where are the Void forms of all the other dead Xel'naga we see on their homewold? If they were permakill in the Void like Stukov did to Duran why didn't they also kill off Ouros since they had him prisoner anyway?

None of this shit makes sense
>>
>>43644868
No, because I didn't say I proved anything. I just gave a possible interpretation, a plausible answer, without excluding the others.

>>43644862
>The fact that the protoss age and that some are younger than others, was canon in Brood War already
Really? Could you tell me more about that?
>>
>>43644888
Artanis was introduced as a young preator in BW.
>>
>>43644885
Amon has like one line in the final epilogue mission where he says that he was forced to ascend so maybe he's not happy about it? Doesn't matter, he's a cookie-cutter villain with a cookie-cutter motivation. Sucks all the way through.
>>
>>43644902
Wasn't Artanis the Executor in Vanilla SC?
Why would he get demoted to Praetor?
>>
>>43644902
"young praetor" can mean that he was named praetor recently, without telling anything about his age as an individual
>>
>>43644902
Also, ages are given for Tassadar, Fenix and Aldaris in the StarCraft manual. My recollection is that Fenix was only three or four hundred years old, while Aldaris was close to a thousand.
>>
>>43644913
We do not know if Prators is a lower rank than an Excecutor in protoss society.
>>
>>43644945
Executor was held by Tassadar, who effectively took command of everyone when he showed up.
By contrast, Praetor was held by Fenix, who deferred to the player.
>>
>>43644913
Judicators were probably mad butthurt about what happened in SC1? I mean he did run off to help Tassadar use his filthy Twilight mind-magic and even then didn't recover Aiur
>>
File: derpling.jpg (7 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
derpling.jpg
7 KB, 229x220
>>43644848
laughingbanelings.jpg
10/10 post
>>
File: Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg (48 KB, 433x440) Image search: [Google]
Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg
48 KB, 433x440
>>43644848

Based on his looks, I expected him to be a total edgelord, but he ended up being surprisingly mirthful and entertaining character.
>>
>>43645007
I think that everyone agrees he's the best character in LoV, maybe along with Talandar
>>
>>43645007
Even his dickishness isn't him being edgy just honest to god cynical about how things work
>>
>>43645021
I kinda like Karax
>>
>>43645049
You mean Dr. Octoprotoss?
>>
>>43634434
Yes.
>>
>>43645049
He's a bro.
The only thing I don't like about him is that weird "beard" he has. It looks dumb.
>>
>>43645060
Yeah, he's a Protoss and manages to have a neck beard
>>
>>43645049
I personally think Karax doesn't need all of that Solarite to power your ship, and instead just smokes it in the engine room between missions and that's why he has that tooth beard thing
>>
>>43645073
I agree. His beard made him unlikable to me since the begining. Happily, I found out later that he's in fact interesting, but this beard made that difficult. I mean, it's stupid, no other protoss has similar appendages, it just looks TOO anthropomorphic - and I hate anthropomorphism.
>>
>>43645104
Now I want a picture of Karax blazing on some Solarite.
>>
Dragoons and Reavers are super awesome in the campaign.
God damn I love using them.
Them combined with a bunch of Centurions to stun foes, that try to get into melee, and a couple of Ascendants to fling their red orbs of doom, make for a suberb wall of death.
>>
>>43645260
Those Purifier sentries are friggin amazing.
The speed boost, and the ability to create a powerfield where ever they happen to be, are fucking fantastic.
>>
So why is it that SC related threads are going pretty well on /tg/. As in: they recive a big amount of replys and are mostly qiute polite.
I've seen a few when the LotV cinematic was revealed a bit back and it was all pretty good..
>>
>>43645739
Because /tg/ likes to discuss fluff and interesting settings.
Also, the bandwagon hate towards SC2 that festers on /v/ is nearly absent here. Sure, people justifiably criticize and dislike shitty aspects of SC2 (and it's story sure has loads of them) but the attitude here isn't simply just "it's shit because it sucks" like it is on /v/.
>>
>>43645556
tal'darim Sentries are amazing. I prefer the range boost to the speed boost
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.