[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a nice way/program to make good maps for my players?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6
File: PZOSQW30040_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x611) Image search: [Google]
PZOSQW30040_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x611
What's a nice way/program to make good maps for my players? I'd like to treat them to something more than just black doodles on a white grid for once.
>>
i always liked hexographer and dungeonographer.
>>
File: Area 2.png (4 MB, 4500x4500) Image search: [Google]
Area 2.png
4 MB, 4500x4500
>>43622618
i also used gimp to make tiles for my dungeons once upon a time. then i realized that i was going to all that effort for nothing really.
>>
File: Area 5.png (2 MB, 4500x4500) Image search: [Google]
Area 5.png
2 MB, 4500x4500
>>43622648
>>
File: Area7.jpg (549 KB, 2400x3300) Image search: [Google]
Area7.jpg
549 KB, 2400x3300
>>43622679
>>
File: Area12.jpg (85 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Area12.jpg
85 KB, 600x600
>>43622697
>>
Sometime if im going for something fancy i use rpgmaker then screencap and print or import into a laptop to show them during the session
>>
Make them draw their own maps.

The only time you should have a map on the table is if you're in combat, or they've paid in gold or blood for one.
>>
>>43623323
ancient player detected.

this is pretty solid advice. i usually only make the map tiles for rooms where we will see combat. and i made map tiles for the entire mega dungeon, but that was my baby and took 20 years to finish so its a special case.
>>
I have been using a color printer and printing onto cardstock. I have bought a few tile sets for just a few dollars on drivethrurpg.

I also use the D&D tile sets for dungeon crawls.
>>
File: B6zoejACIAEB6dc.jpg large.jpg (144 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
B6zoejACIAEB6dc.jpg large.jpg
144 KB, 768x1024
Black doodles on a white grid are the best.

It's hard to make pretty maps unless you're actually an artist. Most software and dungeon tiles look very samey, or the assets just don't look very good to begin with. If the idea is that those identical statues are just symbols that represent different statues, what's wrong with using actual symbols?

Of course the flip side is when someone draws an entire map at once. Some of the Paizo Flip-Mats look really good, but they're limited. Mike Schley has made lots of good maps for D&D and his website. Codename: Morningstar was going to have a map builder with some stuff drawn by him, but sadly that died. The guy should create a Kickstarter for his own line of dungeon tiles or something.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.