[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't Imperial Guard lasguns made completely useless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10
File: lasguns.jpg (39 KB, 736x409) Image search: [Google]
lasguns.jpg
39 KB, 736x409
Why aren't Imperial Guard lasguns made completely useless by the existence of mirrors?
>>
>>43616536
You forgot the "excuse me commisar" bit.
>>
>>43616536
If the 40k setting followed any kind of basic logic at all the whole thing would completely fall apart immediately.
Sorry dude, but it's not a particularly well thought-out setting that really only exists as a vehicle for a wargame that itself only exists as a vehicle to sell models.
>>
>>43616536
You try keeping a mirror clean enough to reflect a beam on a muddy battlefield.
>>
>>43616536
The answer to this question is, as always, the fact that we use lasers to cut mirrors IRL.
>>
>>43616556
You need to stop.
>>
>>43616536
Mirrors might reflect the light, but not the heat used to destroy shit. You would need a stupidly hardened mirror to deflect lasgun fire.
>>
>>43616536
Where does the power pack go on the Ryza?
>>
>>43616536
> an orc wearing perfectly shined and cleaned, and very dense mirror-armour
>>
>>43616536
>Expecting 40k to make sense

its fantasy, I aint got to explain shit
>>
>>43616798
>it works

Fucking orkz.
>>
File: MORBO.jpg (9 KB, 272x254) Image search: [Google]
MORBO.jpg
9 KB, 272x254
>>43616536

LASERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY.

GOODNIGHT.
>>
>>43616756
I would assume sheltered completely in the striated triangle next to the trigger there, or protruding slightly. The Ryza pattern is designed for close quarters, therefore being as small and fluid is ideal.
>>
File: DropPod10.png (376 KB, 755x680) Image search: [Google]
DropPod10.png
376 KB, 755x680
Were's the fuel kept?
>>
Those things aren't laser pointers. they emit enough energy to cause a small explosion, so they would probably burn through a mirror before being reflected by it.
>>
Accatran>Kantrael>Voss>Triplex>Lucius>Galaxy>Ryza>Mars

In order of sexiness
>>
>>43616990
Assumedly where the engine is, as putting it anywhere else on the vehicle basically makes it a bomb when it hits the ground.

They also need very little fuel, as gravity does most of the work until they need to slow down.
>>
>>43616990
Someone's asking to get servitorised
>>
File: 6eQQS9z.png (39 KB, 1117x554) Image search: [Google]
6eQQS9z.png
39 KB, 1117x554
>40k_timeline.jpg
>>
>>43616536
Mirrors are not actually efficient enough reflectors to serve as effective armor against lasers with sufficient intensity to function as weapons. It's like trying to stop a waterjet cutter with a raincoat.

And even if it worked, any dirt or grease on the mirror would still be heated sufficiently to degrade the mirror's reflectivity, and then the mirror would rapidly be destroyed.
>>
>>43616536
No mirror is a perfect reflector, there will always be some energy imparted on the surface. Given how much energy a lasgun beam has, even a very small fraction of its energy is enough to damage the mirror. This is only worsened if the mirror has any imperfections or is dirty. Blocking a weapons-grade laser with a mirror is therefore essentially impossible. Though mirrored armor would cause enough of the light to scatter off that it would be a blinding hazard to anyone in the area out to the horizon, so it could have some use as a deterrent.
>>
>>43617053
Were's the gun servitor kept?
>>
>>43616600
This.
My father is a Laser Engineer and this has essentially been his response each time it's been asked. You need the correct kind of mirror for the correct power source and power level of laser for it to reflect.

Not just any mirror will cut it.
>>
>>43617134
Fuck off you stupid fucking beaner holy fucking shit kill yourself.
>>
>>43616536
Because if you shoot a mirror with a weapons-grade laser, the mirror melts or explodes (depending on how quickly you heat it up).
>>
>>43616536
Many reasons. A mirror may only reflect a certain band of electromagnetic radiation, probably visual, but absorb another band, say, ultraviolet. In that case, using an ultraviolet laser would punch through the mirror easily, though this is just an example.

It would actually be easier and more effective to simply paint your armor the color of your enemy's lasers. If your lasers operate somewhere between 620 and 750 nm range, red paint will actually reflect a significant portion of the light they put out, more than any mirror would.
>>
>>43617082
k-ksp...
>>
ITT people ask way too much of a stupid setting.
>>
>>43617082
>>43617176
KSP like many Early Release games listened far too much to a specific subset of "fans" who urged in a specific direction no one else wanted or liked.

Of course unlike other ER games, KSP then started completely ignoring the fanbase and renegading on things they swore would be in the finished product.
>>
>>43617018
I'd switch Ryza and Mars personally but other than that I'd agree with you.
>>
>>43617242
I stopped playing it ages ago; did it really get so shitty? It started out so joyously whimsical. If you want something realistic, go play Orbiter
>>
>>43617417
No; it's a perfectly good game.

/kspg/ is just so relentlessly negative that it took me three months to start enjoying the game again after I quit browsing it.
>>
File: renegade.jpg (9 KB, 624x373) Image search: [Google]
renegade.jpg
9 KB, 624x373
>>43617242
>renegading on things they swore would be in the finished product.
>renegading
Not sure if that's a better or worse choice of words.
>>
>>43617150
You seem unreasonably upset. Do you need a hug?
>>
File: i-dun-get-it.jpg (12 KB, 320x325) Image search: [Google]
i-dun-get-it.jpg
12 KB, 320x325
>>43617082
>>
>>43617099
you think they still use the whole body?
no no, the sevitor has probably been reduced to a pair of arms and a head if not just a brain in a jar.
>>
>>43618079
Kerbal Space Program recently implemented a new, more sophisticated aerodynamics model, and attempted to rebalance the plane parts accordingly.

They didn't quite get it right.
>>
File: magos explorator face.jpg (124 KB, 457x525) Image search: [Google]
magos explorator face.jpg
124 KB, 457x525
>>43616536
>dat Lucius-pattern lasgun
I think they meant Luscious-pattern, goddamn that thing is sexy.
>>
>>43618553
>>
File: Yarrick-Imperial-Creed.jpg (104 KB, 600x845) Image search: [Google]
Yarrick-Imperial-Creed.jpg
104 KB, 600x845
>>43616536
Have you not read Imperial Creed? The lasguns of Chaos cultists are literally made useless by an Inquisitor's shiny chrome armor.
>>
>>43616536
you have no idea how lasers, nor mirrors, work.
>>
>>43618135
It's only a targeting system. It's probably not even a whole or human brain.
>>
>>43617099
From memory, Marine Drop pods along with Land Raiders and maybe a couple other of their vehicles use an advanced machine spirit instead of a servitor.
>>
>>43616536
I remember something from the Gaunts Ghosts books, where there was a regiment that had changing armour. Depending if they were facing solid rounds or las, the had like red mirror armour I think.
>>
>>43617156
This is interesting, if this is true, my red-painted IG could make even more sense than just iron oxide desert camo!
>>
>>43616536
>>43616572
>>43616582

Once again, the average /tg/ poster proves they doesn't know shit about anything.
>>
>>43616536
>>43616572
>>43616582
Most mirrors only actually reflect a fraction of the light that hits them, and not uniformly in every wavelenght.

Simply put, a mirror will not reflect all of the light, enough will be absorbed that the heat transfer destroys the mirror.

Even in some kind of hypothetical scenario where enemies are somehow all walking around with 100% perfect bullshit physics textbook example mirrors, all you need to do is paintbomb the enemy until there's enough non-.reflective surface to shoot at.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.