[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about Fantasy Craft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
My group, which otherwise play only Pathfinder/3.5, asked me if I could lead Fantasy Craft. Does anyone know it and can tell about it?
>>
You'll be looking at a ramp up of rules crunch. Also, you'll need to do the conversion for the Gods and whatnot. Alignment is not the same as in TOG or TOG 3.75.

On the plus side, the player characters are much cooler and balanced. NPCs are really easy to use once you grok that system.

Fantasy Craft is the best of the D20 systems IMHO - but I like crunch... toolbox systems... and being awesome. Fantasy Craft does those things.
>>
Fantasy Craft is a great system, especially coming from 3.5/PF. Non-combat characters are better supported. Feats and martials are actually fun and interesting. Magic was made to be besides other classes, instead of outstripping them. In fact, all classes are 'Tier 3', to use TOG's tiers.

But, I could go on about generalities, so feel free to ask about any specifics!

>>43614655
>You'll be looking at a ramp up of rules crunch.
What? It's a ramp down from PF/3.5.
>Also, you'll need to do the conversion for the Gods and whatnot.
IF you want to use them. But, why must you?
>>
>>43614655
>>43614936

Thank you for the replies. Sounds good, particularly that non combat is better supportet. How are Feats and alignments in FC?
>>
>>43616104
Feats are more powerful. There's only one tax feat in the whole game. And the reat are more powerful than TOG.

Alignments are completely different. Rather than being a Myers-Briggs type thing, alignment is basically your religion/god/philosophy. You aren't Chaotic Good - but your a follower of Thor. So your alignment is Thor. You can set them up anyway you, the GM, want to. So if you want the classic D&D spectrum (Lawful/Good/Neutral/Evil/Chaotic) you can do that. You'll have to build it.
>>
>>43616104
Feats are so damn good.
There are a couple that I like to trot out every time, the first few as comparison to TOG and the last to truly show how fun the system is.

>Veteran Adventurer: You gain a +1 insight bonus with Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves. Also, once per session when making a saving throw, you may roll twice, keeping the result you prefer.
This is one of the most comparable to TOG, but even as it resembles a port it goes beyond that to give you a choice. It gives you agency in when and where you want to resist something.

RAGE BASICS
Benefit: You gain a +2 morale bonus with Intimidate checks.
Also, you gain a stance.
Berserk Stance (Stance): Your Strength and Constitution scores rise by 3 each. You may not make skill checks while in this stance (but you may still oppose them as normal). When you leave this stance you become fatigued.
RAGE MASTERY
Prerequisites: Rage Basics
Benefit: While in Berserk Stance you may make Intimidate checks and your Strength and Constitution scores rise by an additional 2 each (total 5 each).
RAGE SUPREMACY
Prerequisites: Rage Mastery
Benefit: You may make skill checks in Berserk Stance. Also, if you take a half action to change stance or return to normal stance, you don’t become fatigued.

Here's your berserk line. Notice a few things. First, there is no prerequisite to attain this. Any character can fly into a rage. Second, that the supremacy feat is VERY powerful, without breaking the game. It locks out very few options (you can only have one stance) while giving alternatives or bonuses to all others. Third, and this is not readily visible without reading the stance rules, is that this has a very blatant weakness. You lose your stance when you are sprawled, which is a skill check against your Acrobatics(Dex) skill. This means that it is very good, without being a must have.
>>
>>43616352
Now, here are some of the ones that blow TOG out of the water.

>KNIFE BASICS
>Prerequisites: Edged forte
>Benefit: All knives on your person are considered armed at all times. Also, you gain a stance.
>Wicked Dance (Stance): Your 1-handed melee attacks inflict 2 additional dice of sneak attack damage. You may not take move actions (though you may still take 5-ft. Bonus Steps as normal).
I love how understated that benefit line is, yet how useful it can be. You can have all of your hands free, but still have a stiletto ready to shank with. You can be hanging for dear life from a precipice, but be able to throw any of your 500 daggers. You want to be Wolverine? Knife Basics.
The stance is pretty neat, too.

>AXE SUPREMACY
>Prerequisites: Axe Mastery
>Benefit: Your Strength score rises by 1 and you gain a trick.
>Cleave in Twain (Axe Attack Trick): If your target is a standard character with a lower Strength score than yours, he immediately fails his Damage save (damage isn’t rolled). You may use this trick once per round.
Here is one of the Supremacy feats that can instakill a standard character (think mooks). There is one of these for each attribute.

>I CAN SWIM
>Benefit: You don’t have to spend your skill points immediately when you level. Instead, you may ‘reveal’ your skills, spending skill points to purchase ranks at any time during play (not to exceed your maximum rank for each skill). All unspent skill points must be spent before you gain your next level.
This is a fun one. Don't know what skill will best serve you down the road? Take this and have what you need, when you need it.

>SURGE OF SPEED
>Benefit: Once per round you may take 1 additional non-attack half action as a free action. You may use this ability a number of times per session equal to your starting action dice.
This has so many uses. From that extra move action to clear a conflagration to the extra handle item to feeding a dying ally a potion.
>>
>>43617050
I never realized until now that I CAN SWIM was an l5r reference. Someone at Crafty must like Scorpions.
>>
How much support is there for Fantasy Craft? One of the biggest draws of Pathfinder/3.5 (for me) is the sheer breadth of options and DM materials (monsters, magic items, etc.) that are already statted for you.

If there isn't much support, how easy is it to homebrew your own materials? Are there guidelines for making monsters, magic items, and whatnot?

I've been running a west marches style Pathfinder/3.5 campaign, but I've been looking into other systems that might work for that type of game.
>>
>>43617702
Fantasy Craft is a tool box system when it comes to options and DM materials. There are pre-statted mosters and a few items, but Fantasy Craft gives you the framework to make your own items and monsters.

When statting out monsters, you put in one time investment to pick out the abilities and attributes. Once that is done, you can reuse that monster forever, just running the block of attribute grades through the converter to the appropriate level you need.

There are many guides for making homebrew races, specialties, etc.

I don't know what a 'west marches' style game is, so I can't help you there.
>>
Bumping with the old copypasta that needs a new, comlete torrent and download folder.

Fantasy Craft is a d20 P&P RPG using the OGL. It's geared towards cinematic play where every character can contribute, with solid mechanics designed to give groups lots of flexibility to tailor games to individual preferences. Rather than just a set of bolt-on additions to the OGL d20 system, Fantasy Craft tears it all down and rebuilds from the ground up, steering clear of the major pitfalls of other OGL games and aiming for a more cinematic, narrative-focused style.

Noteworthy points:
>Drastically reined-in magic system putting casters on equal footing with non-casters
>Classes and the game as a whole designed to ensure everyone can contribute in a wide range of circumstances, even outside their primary niche
>Separate cash and Reputation economies keep mundane gear relevant and magic items special
>Custom monster and NPC design is a breeze
>Optional Campaign Qualities tweak mechanics to suit your preferred style and tone

>If you have the money and want to support the game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/63884/Fantasy-Craft-Second-Printing
>If you want to try before you buy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rscnai437ptu23k/FantasyCraft.torrent
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/nzs6xsnzbid4t/Fantasy_Craft

Other useful links:
>Errata & accessories
http://www.crafty-games.com/node/851

>Web NPC builder
http://www.meadicus.plus.com/craftygames/npc-builder/NPCBuilder.html

>Custom PC Species creation guides
http://www.crafty-games.com/index.php?q=content/species-and-talent-creation
http://sletchweb.wikidot.com/fc-origin-creation

>Species feat creation guide & reference spreadsheet
http://www.crafty-games.com/content/blankbeards-unofficial-guide-creating-species-feats
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1016700/species%20feats.xls

>Class design guidelines
http://www.crafty-games.com/node/691
>>
>>43617702
Fantasy Craft is still supported but the latest resource book is coming out in a loooooooong time.
>>
And thus, the long and slow slide to page ten begins.
For none wish to converse on FC.
>>
>>43620638
That's what happens when games ain't popular. Which makes getting a use for my drake slayer character harsh.
>>
>>43620915
It's really a shame. The only thing that TOGs could possibly have on FC is adventure paths. Even those can be ported over with minimum fuss.
>>
>>43620915

A bigger problem is in my opinion the high crunch factor. There is a reason why the Indie games are all light.
>>
What the fuck is 'TOG' supposed to be? Never heard of it until today. Some new slang for 3.PF?
>>
>>43616204
What's the tax feat?
>>
>>43624574
That Other Game, or The Original Game.

AKA D&D.
>>
>>43624608
Bushwack Basics. It does nothing without a crit.

That's why these were made.
>>
Spellbound never.
>>
>>43625448
Also, Those Other Games for PF and D&D.
>>
>>43625636

Will this ever be released?
>>
>>43628035

When they finish it, yes.
>>
Why haven't you sent in your application as a dollar-a-year man to Crafty, Anon?
>>
>>43629354

Who are you talking to?
>>
>>43633101
Anon.
>>
Anyone want to roll up a character by dice?
Anyone interested?
>>
>>43635255
I'm interested.
>>
>>43635744
Roll 1d14 for class.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d14)

>>43635768
>>
>>43635953
Keeper.

Roll 12d6.

Each die will be paired in order and have 7 added to them. The two top rolls will go to INT and WIS, 1st and 2nd respectively. The rest will be distributed through CON, CHA, STR and DEX, in that order. The final result will be checked against the point buy. Points will be added or subtracted as needed to fit, making the least change necessary.
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 1, 4, 6, 3, 4, 3, 6, 4, 4, 6 = 44 (12d6)

>>43636008
>>
I hit 7 instead of 6. Supposed to say "have 6 added".

>>43636079

16 Int
16 Wis to 14
9 Con
11 Cha
15 Str to 14
11 Dex to 10

14 Str
9 Con
11 Dex
16 Int
14 Wis
11 Cha

Half odds, half evens, and a high Strength. Interesting Keeper.

Roll 1d12 for Race and 1d44 for specialty.
>>
>>43636181
Shit, Cha was supposed to have 13 to start. It would have still been reduced and it doesn't matter. So, it will stay as is.
>>
>>43636181
>>
Rolled 34 (1d44)

>>43636311
shit fuck
>>
Rolled 12 (1d12)

>>43636311
>>
>>43636331
>>43636338
Unborn Vanguard Keeper, huh? Well, our Charisma just plummeted to 7. What do we add the +2 to?

Roll 1d6 for attribute to increase. Roll 1d20 for enlightened skill.
>>
>>43614655
>>43614936
What is TOG?
>>
Rolled 12 + 1 (1d20 + 1)

>>43636382

>>43636475
See
>>43625448
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

>>43636382
>>
>>43636511
>>43636518
Enlightened Notice, +2 to Int.

Roll 2d20 for origin skills.
>>
Rolled 3, 5 = 8 (2d20)

>>43636562
>>
>>43636725
Blend and Crafting.

Alright, for skills I was going to say to do things to determine skills. But, between paired skills and 18 Int, we have max ranks in all 13 skills we are capable of putting ranks into.

Roll 1d12 for feat category.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.