[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The senses are not equally represented in traditional gaming.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Five_senses.jpg (100 KB, 800x943) Image search: [Google]
Five_senses.jpg
100 KB, 800x943
>The senses are not equally represented in traditional gaming. Most games involve sight, tactile feedback, and auditory perception, but few games involve tasting or smelling.

How do we fix it?
>>
>>43611354
>Thinking there are only five senses.

Fukken plebs.
>>
Does anybody have that sceencap how true dedicated fan plays Song of Saya?
>>
>>43611387
Yeah psions should be even more broken.
>>
Does it matter? Humans aren't taste/smell dominant.
Let players who are playing predatory nonhumans that hunt differently from humans use smell/taste/sonar/whatever to go about their world.
>>
>>43611387

Some count it up to 8, others count it up to 15, and some go as far as 22-23.

There's senses of pressure, acceleration, body positioning, time, heat, cold, pain... And a bunch of others I can't remember. There's a lot more than five senses, a sixth sense would be utter mundane in that count.
>>
>>43611354
Is this really something that needs fixing? I'm not sure flavored 40k figures would catch on.
>>
>>43611354
Try licking everything in a dungeon.

You never know if there's a wall made of candy instead of stone that's hiding some magical items behind it.
>>
>>43611435
In some settings Dwarves have sense of depth, they can tell how deep underground they are at any given time.
>>
I once used presdigitation to change the flavor of someone's saliva to match the taste of the latrines at the bottom of the skaven warrens which my character had fallen into in his youth.
>>
>>43611438

Play chess with each piece molded out of candy like sweet tarts or something. Maybe chocolate, or cast/shaped out of nougat or something and dipped in chocolate.

>>43611460

Like how people have a sense of position above ground. I like that.
>>
>>43611354
We don't fix it. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
>>
Usually, when running my games, I have these things players can taste to immerse themselves in the game better.

They're called deez nuts.
>>
>>43611354
You fix it be having a senses checklist. When describing a scene list what ever sense is experiencing.

I also elect 2 arbitrary objects in a scene for special description even if they're not important.

The players like the atmosphere, and I like that when an unusual sense or special object merits special description it doesn't inadvertently alert the players to the importance.
>>
>>43611354

The senses are not equally represented in real life. I perceive things by seeing, hearing, or touching them way more than by tasting or smelling them.
>>
>smell and taste are different

Sure, and "touch with fingers" is a different sense than "touch with toes".
>>
Take a nice dump on the table if they are in the dirtyer parts of a city
>>
>>43611433
>Humans aren't taste/smell dominant.

The best ones are.
Have you ever been to a gathering of elites?
>>
>>43611354
Because food is rarely an involved part of any game. On the occasions where it is, it's appropriate to describe the taste.

Our sense of smell is basically weaksauce. Unless you have a racial trait that makes it otherwise, you should only be notified of a particular smell when it is extremely strong, and unexpected.

>EX: you enter the room, the smell of of rotting flesh assaults you, but no corpse can be seen
>>
>>43611354
>few games involve smelling
You're lucky.
>>
File: SENSE.jpg (142 KB, 800x943) Image search: [Google]
SENSE.jpg
142 KB, 800x943
>In the year 2059, global warming gives man a sixth sense
>>
>>43611407
u wot m8?

Don't tell me you're still assblasted from misreading 3.5's psion rules.
>>
File: 1369194763122.jpg (701 KB, 3686x2097) Image search: [Google]
1369194763122.jpg
701 KB, 3686x2097
>Stephen Hawes' poem Graunde Amoure shows that the five (inward) wits were "common wit", "imagination", "fantasy", "estimation", and "memory". "Common wit" corresponds to Aristotle's concept of the sensus communis, and "estimation" roughly corresponds to the modern notion of instinct.

Hey /tg/,
Which of the five wits is the least utilized by tradition gamers?
>>
>>43612221
Kinesthetic sense?
>>
>>43612256

Only in death will my ire subside.
>>
>>43612257
Common wit. At least at my table.
>>
>>43612257
imagination
>>
>>43611354
By getting a better/more engaging GM.

Just because it says "Roll for perception check" doesn't mean you're perceiving it with your eyes. Plenty of times I've had DMs tell me that my character smells something or tastes something in their food.
>>
>>43612358
>By getting a better/more engaging GM.

A GM that licks and smells his players is not a better GM.
>>
>>43612142
Wine tastings =/= taste and smell dominance.

A human can't smell his way home if he gets lost, or track prey beyond visual range by catching its scent (aside from extreme close quarters in dense brush), or detect drugs inside luggage with a sniff.

We're sight dominant, with hearing coming in a distant second. The rest of the senses aren't even worth mentioning in terms of how we conduct our daily lives.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.