[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mapping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1530
how do you make maps for your campaigns? what method do you use?

>only self made hand-drawn shit for me and my pals
>maps often take up to 8 a4 sheets of paper
>>
I draw them too, but I put in way less effort then you do.
>>
>>43610341
look at your rivers and think for a bit.
>>
>>43610612
i think you mean how there arent enough river sources around mountains and stuff? or anything else?

i already know that only little of this stuff is geographicly accurate , so be more precise with it please
>>
File: Land1.jpg (395 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Land1.jpg
395 KB, 800x600
I'm going to DM my first game soon, so I threw this together to help plan my campaign.
>>
>>43610745
Not prev. poster.

They flow from a lake to the sea or vice versa? Retarded anyway. First thing I noticed. Consider taking a look at real maps first.
>>
>>43610829
tool?
>>
>>43610861
it is a crater lake , which is filled by rain and fjords , the rivers flow downwards into the sea (the photo is shitty , therefore you can hardly see the lines that indicate the geographical height)
>>
>>43610868
autoREALM
>>
>>43610745
do you really not understand that rivers start small at the high points, and flow downwards, converging, to sea level?

your rivers, OP, are a trainwreck. it makes no logical sense, at all.
>>
>>43611291
i see

not like this is too much of a problem , considering the purpose
however , i will use your advice for future projects
>>
>>43611291
This guy is being picky but he's right. Water doesnt work that way.
Go on googlemaps and look at the water pathways of the great lakes and Saint-Laurent around the USA and Canada for inspiration.
>>
>>43611405
>>43611291
also , you got some of the actual flow directions wrong

you see the orange lines on the map? they indicate roughly the height differences on the map
if on one side there is a black little triangle , it means that the overall terain height is higher than on the other side

on this basis , the river flows from higher to lower places , even though i have to admit that some parts look rather odd which would give a false impression of direction
>>
>>43610341
>>43611488
I'd recommend looking at maps of Lake Winnipegosis and the connecting lakes and rivers.
>>
>>43611405
well, if the purpose is to do some sort of Magical Realm of topsy-turvy water that does weird shit, fine.

For the rest, if your poor players are going to try to map that, they're going be confused to hell.

Try to remember that rivers flow in one direction (downwards), they converge as they approach the sea.
Rivers split apart only at the very end of their flow, into deltas, not into two separate rivers.

Rivers do not flow from one coast, to another coast.
When they flow, they do not join up with branches flowing in the opposite direction, like many of your little branches do.

Rivers flowing into large lakes that do not drain to the sea (what is termed a endorheic basin) generally result in toxic saline waters, like the dead sea, or great salt flats, or they have to be fucking vast - like the Caspian sea. Most such basins in any sort of wet temperate environment simply keep filling over the centuries, before bursting over the lowest point in a fast flood (ie, what happened in the Mediterranean, or the Bonneville flats).
>>
>>43611739
please read >>43611488
this will explain some things
>>
I found a pretty cool tutorial recently.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=10655

I tried AutoRealm recently, and it's quite nice for banging out really quick maps. They're not quite as pretty as something you'd do in a graphics program, but they're good enough, and the icons are great to have.

The best part of digital maps is that you can print out a few copies and hand them out to the players, and have a big one on the table to write or move tokens around on. Cut out the various rooms and only put them down as they are encountered. Add/remove layers to include more/less information, so you can quickly make treasure maps or whatever.
>>
File: stillprettynonsensical.jpg (471 KB, 2048x1530) Image search: [Google]
stillprettynonsensical.jpg
471 KB, 2048x1530
>>43611488
>also , you got some of the actual flow directions wrong

>you see the orange lines on the map? they indicate roughly the height differences on the map

Ok, lets clean it up a bit.

Altitude marked by darkening brown tint, seas of major water bodies blue.

Now, the flow directions make a little sense, but you've got a clusterfuck of splits where rivers are going the wrong way marked in red (divergent, instead of convergent,) that bit in the centre of the bottom-left page is just a complete mess, and the bottom-centre of the upper page is just a complete mess of flow goingin contradictory directions in ways they never would.
>>
>>43610922
hows the program, any good?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.