[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help a fellow anon here and tell me what is the best way to start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Warhammer40kNecrons.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer40kNecrons.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Help a fellow anon here and tell me what is the best way to start on Warhammer 40k? I have played the dawn of war series and am trying to get into the table top game with a couple of friends. Are Necrons a good set to start off with or are there better factions?
>>
>>43604309
Pick a faction that you like the most... be prepared to lose a lot.
Personalize your army so win/lose you enjoy taking it out for a spin.
Start with a battle box or something, and add to it as you feel like.
>>
>>43604343
I'll go with Necrons then.

Is there a particular set up you like using with any of the factions?
>>
>>43604343
>Pick a faction that you like the most... be prepared to lose a lot.
Unless you pick necrons

>>43604441
The first question I would ask is what kind of army are you looking for? How important is being competitive or are you ok with an army this is fun but will almost never win?
>>
>>43604468
For just friends, I just want a fun army I guess.
>>
>>43604511
I mean, what's your thing? You you like the idea of melee or ranged? Magic or technology? Sneaky gits or honourable fucks? Mortals or super-humans? Bad guys or not-so-bad guys? Reasonable or Obsessive and insane?

When you think of the guys you want to lead in your mind's eye what do they look like?
>>
>>43604528
Sorry anon.

I love ranged, technology guys who give zero shits on how they get to where they are, as long as they destroy.
>>
>>43604540
Necrons do sound right then.
Mostly emotionless machine men, that other than being locked out of the psychic phase, don't have a gimmick other than being able to eat attacks that would smush other factions for breakfast.

It's pretty hard to go wrong with them whatever as they're must stronger than other factions right now but you will need lots of warriors.
Teleporting snipers, robot spider swarms, huge blocks of shooty guys or teleporting slashy guys and lots and lots of robots.

Buy the codex first and take a look at what you like the look of, for a basic CAD (hq and 2 troops mandatory, no more than 2 HQ or 3 elites heavy or fast attack slots.)
>>
>>43604593
With buy he means download. Avoid doing any math and focus on the lore and just emerge into what you find cool.

If it is just with friends I recommend you all pick 1 hq 2 troops (20 ish guys) and 1 cool unit. Then calculate point cost for each person and see if there is a huge imbalance there. Talk the lists over. An IG or Ork player might need 30 guys while a grey knight might only have 10 Then buy.. for painting consider buying vajello and share the pots as needed. Do yourself a favor and pick an easy color scheme (avoid yellow white and black as primary). Easiest are official ones with paint guides. Also try to have a painting agreement so you all help each other ensure the painting gets done. If you fail at the painting part then consider that 40k isn't your thing.

Cheapest entry would be buying stuff from eBay but if you want the fun joining experience go to a gw store.. just ensure you have a set spend limit. Also have a look if you can split starter boxes such as dark vengeance.

Post result on /tg/ for win

Inb4 people start nagging 40k sucks and gw sucks et all
>>
>>43604735
Restating what this guy said: don't buy anything from GW that you don't have to. You're paying enough for the models, get your paints, glue etc elsewhere, and download PDFs of the books. Every dollar you save is (1/5th of) another cool model.
>>
>>43604309
>>43604309
Yeah man just pick a faction you like the most, its the only way you will properly enjoy it

Eldar necrons and tau and pretty top tier atm

I myself am a Tyranid player of 12 years, they're my favourite but boy have we steadily gone down hill since 3rd
>>
File: necron_01.jpg (34 KB, 256x320) Image search: [Google]
necron_01.jpg
34 KB, 256x320
>>43604309
It's generally agreed that the best start for someone who wants to start with necrons as their first faction is the battle force + a command barge; note that you can use the lord of the command barge on his own, as your first hq.
However, you want to read the rules first. Ask your friends to split the money for the main rulebook - there is a cheaper version with only the rules on ebay (it comes from the dark vengeance starter box) - but the full rulebook has a pretty good background back for beginners.
You also need the Necron Codex for the army specific rules and background info.
>>
>>43604309
Always wondered who would win 1 on 1 between a space marine and necron warrior

Assuming they both have their guns, and then assuming in a 2nd fight both have nothing but their bare hands
>>
>>43604441
If you're running Necrons pick up their codex ( or be smart and download it) then (if you want to be an asshole) base your army around the decurian formation. (If you're just planning on playing around with some cool models pick up whatever you like and have fun, that's really the most important thing. Necrons are a pretty strong faction at the moment (top three), so be prepared for the occasional person giving you grief at your FLGS
>>
>>43604343
This
>>
File: Oldcron hobby section.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Oldcron hobby section.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43606965
>then (if you want to be an asshole) base your army around the decurian formation.

Of course I want to be an asshole.
But seriously, with the Decurian formation, can I take Deathmarks or Flayed ones with a C'tan?
>>
>>43604309
>the best way to start on Warhammer 40k?
go back in time 5-10 years and get a starter box, you get 2 armies and a rule book to get you started. I usually recommend space marines for beginners as their units are fairly hardy and will give you some wiggle-room for making mistakes.

Today... you're better off playing DoW1 and reminiscing about days and editions gone by.
>>
File: sprue.bits.crystals.jpg (120 KB, 723x542) Image search: [Google]
sprue.bits.crystals.jpg
120 KB, 723x542
bumping this question >>43609697 as an anon who wants to know more about Decurian formations. What can you add to it?
>>
bump?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.