[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So rate this Magic concept, /tg/. >"Magic" also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: This fucking Wizard.jpg (156 KB, 1224x814) Image search: [Google]
This fucking Wizard.jpg
156 KB, 1224x814
So rate this Magic concept, /tg/.

>"Magic" also called Sorcery, Arcanism, High Spellcraft, etc. Allows the user to cast magical spells with a myraid of impressive, usually instant and obvious effects. Fireballs, summoning creatures and objects, warping space, teleportation, etc.
>"Magick" also called Low arts, The Craft, Thaumaturgy is a hodge-podge collection of various skills, disciplines, and magickal errata to work miracles and manipulate the world in often strange and subtle ways.

For example, someone with Magic can shoot fire or lightning, but someone with Magick can influence someone's mind or use a curse. Both obviously have overlap but the idea is that people in the first category have to be born with their powers, where as people in the second learn it, but don't actually cast 'spells' as we typically understand it.

How do you feel about this concept?
>>
>>43597405
why not just call them sorcery and thaumaturgy
?????
why go with two differently-spelled-but-phoetically-identical names? that will be awkward at the table
>>
You forgot one, OP
>"Majyk" also called Using Stupid Names for Things, is the art of using stupid names for things when it should be really obvious one or more of the names is shit
>>
>>43597405
I keep seeing this picture.

Where does it come from?
How old is it?
Who is he?
How many Skittles do you have to eat to hurl the rainbow?

So many questions
>>
>>43600495
Matt Rhodes concept artist
>>
>>43597405

Why use two words that are pronounced the same with only a minor variation in spelling to represent different concepts?

Try again.
>>
>>43597405
>Magic vs Magick
How would you pronounce them differently? Do characters say "magic with a k" when they say magick?
>>
>>43597405
I don't see how this is a "concept" of anything, or how is the distinction relevant to anything. Both are arcane ways of manipulating the world around you. OK, so something is inherent, something can be learned. Why call them in a confusing fashion that actually does not differenciate the term in pronounciation, neither it actually in any way meaningfully reflect the difference between the concept of "magic" and "magick" in real world?

Also, it does not really make sense to call them "high" and "low" arts, as "art" literally mean craft, and if one is something that you know intutively and the other is something you need to master, calling the first "art" does not make much sense.
>>
Magic should be more primitive the more the word is butchered.
The more inexplicable your learned pronunciation and spelling of it, the more ridiculous your spells.
>>
>>43597405
Go read the Riftwar, which does it better than the dozens of similar attempts to make a 'High' magic and 'Low' Magic where high involves an inborn talent and low involves using devices and trickery for more subtle uses. Seriously, you thought up the same idea thats been in wide use since the eighties. 3/10 das plagiarism jimmy
>>
>>43597405
Who's on First? Yes!/10
>>
>>43600290
I like your spunk, but what the hell are you trying to say?
>>
>"Madjek" also called sword fighting is the vital art of the non-magical but "madjekal" combatant. They use their muscles and bodies as a sort of conduit in a sense; powering their edged metal "staves" and "wands."
>>
You concept fails when speaking out loud, requiring people to say "with a k".
>>
>>43597405
what exactly is the unique point here? Pronunciation confusion?
>>
>>43597405
No.

It would require me to remove an important test.

The moment someone hands me a character sheet and they have put the k on the end of magic I tell them to go away and do it again.

Its a generally reliable test to see if they are going to go new age hippie. I don't have a problem with most things but it usually end up with the game turning into their New Age soap box.

If I wanted a lecture in fantasy form I would have continued Reading Sword of Truth.
>>
>>43606379
FEAR ME, AUTISMO THE WIZZORD

MY GNOMIC MAGICKS CONFOUND AND RUSTLE THY JIMMIES
>>
>>43604406
Mahjuuk is an art of creating wheeled spoons out of peanut butter. Meujik allows you to produce sapient leather paintings depicting eves standing in a hell.
>>
>>43606390
OH GOD IT FUCKING BURNS!
>>
>>43600290
Ah, reminds me of faggot vs faggyte
>>
>>43600495
>How many Skittles do you have to eat to hurl the rainbow?
There is only one way to find out. Start eating.
>>
>"Mayjiks" also called Ominous Shit, Dark Mumblings, or The Gimmest Arte is the act of calling into this world the agents of an elder evil god for an unspecified purpose. Practitioners often find themselves eaten by a roiling minion of Flthulhunep, or being overwhelmed by the powers they wield, go "full grimderp" - a fate worse than death.
>>
File: 1439873592156.png (186 KB, 307x315) Image search: [Google]
1439873592156.png
186 KB, 307x315
>"muhjeuk" or the roughly upper middle arts, wippbibblebomery, or ehhhhhjjjg, is the practice of posting snug anime images to express disapproval of shit ideas with shittier names
>>
Arcane magic is nanomachines.
Divine magic is nanomachines.
Prestidigitation is nanomachines.
Magic items are items with nanomachines.
Dragon are nanomachines.

Nanomachines.

>inb4 femtomachines
Fuck off that's unbelievable drivel.
>>
>>43606379
Who the hell are you playing with? Most people I know tend tend use the standard spelling of magic but those who do spell it differently do so just because they like to. Hell in one group everyone spelled it differently as a bit of a joke.
>>
>>43607110
>>43607110
Most of them are alright.

But then there is the "healing power of crystals" girl.
>>
>>43606890
Fuck off Kojima.
>>
>>43607857
Daily reminder that nano machines let you walk on water and soldiers are hard wired to wank off to swords.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.