[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pathfinder General /pfg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: 1383708577970.jpg (274 KB, 584x797) Image search: [Google]
1383708577970.jpg
274 KB, 584x797
Pathfinder General /pfg/

Monstrous Races Edition edition

If you are asking for build advice, please mention if any third-party books are allowed, and if so, which.

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
http://pastebin.com/HwxEjiKW [Embed]

Previous: >>43588578
>>
File: happyfox.png (204 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
happyfox.png
204 KB, 512x512
Kitsune
>>
Repeating
>>43594913
For the new thread.
>>
Reposting from previous thread-
>>43594871
>I just started building my first vizier, and I'm wondering if it isn't way too strong. I'm going for a debuffer, level 12, 24 INT, Enhanced Capacity (Stare of the Ghaele), Path of the Ruler. I have a +2 Akashic Catalyst. My veils are Stare of the Ghaele, Pestilence Cloak, Cerebral Catastrophe Cinch, Ring of the Abjurer, Aboleth Tentacles, Crown of Inevitable Command, and Cuirass of Confidence.
>My big concern is how high I can get the DC on some of these, especially Stare of the Ghaele. At this level I have 20 essence from class, race, and feats, and the capacity on my Stare is 6, 5 for my other veils. The DC on my Stare is 12 (base) + 8 (essence) + 4 (investment bonus) + 5 (Pestilence Cloak), and Path of the Ruler inflicts a -3 penalty to Will saves against enemies within 30 feet, giving me an effective DC of 32 to stagger enemies with my gaze. Isn't that a bit high?
>>
File: mecha hitler.jpg (22 KB, 340x350) Image search: [Google]
mecha hitler.jpg
22 KB, 340x350
>>43594960
I imagine wand golems to attack something like this guy, rotating 'barrels' of wants just dumping stupid amounts of spells on you if you encounter it.
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 1000x1000
Is there any naga race like pic that is statted out for pathfinder that also isn't overpowered? A cultural background and fleshed out civilization and traditions I can build off of would also be appreciated.
>>
File: Shocking Grasp.gif (1010 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Shocking Grasp.gif
1010 KB, 500x375
>>43594953
Fourth for unarmed strike Magus.
>>
>>43595030
Nagaji and vishkanya are hardly overpowered. If neither strike your fancy, take the tail-based shit from the merfolk race, refluff it for being a snake, and slap it on either of those two.
>>
>>43595005
I just realized I forgot to add my +7 from Int, so the DC is actually 39.
>>
Anyone got Occult Realms?
>>
>>43594986
Should probably repost:
So, I'm gonna be using the myridion+improved quickdraw+cut from the air combo, to be a quickdrawing, AoO monster. What're some feats/items/whatever, that will give bonuses for quickdrawing, and 5 foot stepping?
>>
>>43594912
Do you mean multiplied on a crit? Because i don't see why there would be multipliers on each hit.

I also came up with a very different (both to mine and to the existing) silver crown strike just now.

You do your iterative to hits etc (lets not assume the massive cap i did before, since you hated it's ability to scale with resource expenditure) but rather than roll the damage for each attack, each additional attack multiplies the first attacks damage. So hit 3 times, you do 3 times damage. If you crit, the multiplier is only the original damage, so if you got 2 hits and a crit with x3 multiplier, it would total 4 times damage, or 4 hits and a x2 crit would be 5 times damage.
>>
>>43595057
I'd like something more like the picture I posted, but the nagaji are interesting. I'll keep note of them while I keep looking.
>>
>>43595093
Do you absolutely need to use Paizo material? If not, you can look at how merfolk's stats reflect their lack of legs and apply it to nagaji for a snake tail. Also give them more arms if you like.
>>
>>43595038
My GM is actually pretty decent, so he's willing to work with me here.

Just trying to make sure this works, because I want to choke the shit out of wizards.
>>
>no half axiomite/inevitable
>no half proteans
>no half as one
>no half elementals (venues don't count)
When will paizo get on the ball?
Are we going to have to homebrew this ourselves?
>>
>>43595133
>as one
fuck
I meant aeons
>>
>>43595133
Aren't the Ganzi technically half-Protean

And what the hells is 'as one'?
>>
>>43594959
I was actually hoping to do something a bit... silly and use a pick. Not if i went Bushi of course, but a Brutal Slayer pick to the head build. Bring down the mines on these fools.
>>43595093
The Nagaji have an amazing druid archetype that lets them transform into "true nagas" with wild shape.

Rite Publishing's "In the Company of Medusa" might tickle your fancy, it has two medusa based races in it (one for legs, one without) that are balanced (except maybe for their ability to petrify for a few rounds 1/day, which you can trade away with alternate racial trats) but are really mostly designed for use with the Medusa Paragon racial class.
>>
>>43595153
Nah, they're one-quarter or some shit, same as aasimar and tieflings.

>>43595133
The genie-kin races have alternate racial traits to let you refluff them as being descended from elementals instead. Check them out.
>>
File: Sthein.png (770 KB, 535x643) Image search: [Google]
Sthein.png
770 KB, 535x643
>>43595115
If you have access to Bloodforge, there's a half-elf/half-naga race you could use.
>>
>>43595116
Okay, I'll try and convey this as simply as possible.
If you have Greater Grapple and maintain grapple as a move action, you can use a standard action strike WITHOUT having to avoid the grappled condition. But you cannot make AoOs and you cannot move, so strikes involving movement will not work.

Also the -2 to all attacks and damage applies to your strike, even if its against the target of your grapple.
>>
>>43595157
You can do that, if you don't particularly care about being optimal.

You want to play a stalker for crits. That's really most of what they're good at.
>>
>>43595153
Ganzi explicitly call out they have no outsider ancestry, but are the results of "the chaotic energies of the material plane".
>>
>>43595115
It doesn't have to be piazo material. It could even be 4th party for all I care as long as it's balanced and has detail.
>>
>>43595189
I'm his GM. We already know this. This specifically came up when he wanted to make strikes and grapple in the same round and I specifically told him to take greater grapple.

>>43595207
Cool. Then make your own race or possibly wildshape into a naga with nagaji's naga aspirant.
>>
Way of the Wicked pdfs or the new Throne of Night?
>>
>>43595189
But if you don't actually have the Grappled condition due to a seperate feat, you can still make AoOs, correct?
>>
>>43595207
4th party? Would that be guys who make materials for Dreamscarred the way DSP makes materials for Pathfinder? Or is that shorthand for homebrew?
>>
>>43595273
I think homebrew would be 2nd party and anon was just exaggerating to illustrate a point.
>>
>>43595273
Homebrew would be 2nd party. 4th party would be homebrew of people who don't actually buy paizo products, I guess?
>>
>>43595296
I am anon and this guy is correct. I exaggerated.
>>
Speaking of grapple, how is a true dragon expected to use the crush attack effectively? Is it noted anywhere that a dragon can maintain all the pins it causes, or if/when the dragon gains the grappled condition?
>>
>>43595318
Ah, makes sense.
>>
>>43591940
Woah, a small race with a Strength bonus, finally I can do a mounted -
>Own Two Feet
What the *fuck*.
>>
>>43595330
Well. It says the dragon has to succeed on a CMB check "as normal" in crush's description. So... no, apparently a dragon can't keep crushing more than one foe. It even specifies they only take bludgeoning damage next round so it can't just keep flying up and down.
>>
>>43595005
>>43595076

Maybe a better way to start the question would be "Is a DC 39 Will save too high for a 12th level PC ability? What other classes could do that?"
>>
>>43595383
THEY KNEW
>>
>>43595383
Right?
What is the best small race from Paizo for cavaliers or mounted hunters currently?
>>
File: sighing hank.jpg (42 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sighing hank.jpg
42 KB, 500x375
>>43595429
Well, yeah, of course they knew someone would have fun. Paizos are quick to recognize fun-having. Someone has to stop those goddamn monkeys from riding things!
>>
>>43595450
Wayangs probably win by default by being the only small race without a Strength penalty.
>>
>>43595410
That would depend entirely on what the ability does. Even if it's de facto 95% success rate, that doesn't mean much if the effect is paltry 5d6 damage or -1 to attack rolls.
>>
>>43595558
>While wearing this veil you gain a gaze attack; enemies within 30 feet who fail their Will save vs. this ability are shaken for 1d6+1 rounds. Once a creature has failed its save vs. this ability, it cannot be affected by this ability again for 24 hours. This ability can be activated or deactivated as a standard action.

>Chakra Bind (Head): Binding this veil to your Head chakra (vizier 6) allows you to bring even more of the ghaele’s potent gaze to bear; instead of inflicting the shaken condition, enemies who fail their save vs. the veil’s ability are staggered.
>>
>>43595558
Staggered, 1d6+1 rounds, target can only be affected 1/ 24 hours.
>>
>>43595597
Staggered is pretty damn strong, so yeah, that might be a bit overpowered.
>>
>>43595193
With a Pick I'll be rolling sweet sweet D10s though, or multiplying the strength bonus damage from brutal slayer.
>>
>>43595222
Oh i didn't think you didn't know, i just wanted to cut it down to a more concise version from my wall of text earlier and repost it in this thread.
Many people don't get grappling, so if i keep repeating how it works in the thread, more people will learn.
>>43595237
Yes, the "no AoOs" is part of the condition, not "being in a grapple". So if Grab or a similar effect lets you dodge the condition, you can AoO all day.
>>
>>43595680
Falchion and Greatsword do the same thing, but better. Stalker also supports it better with increased crit range.
>>
>>43595719
Fair, probably a good idea to get better grapple education too. One of my different players took literally ten minutes to figure out his turn after I linked him the flowcharts, the Grapple section, and the Grappled condition. I kept having to remind him he couldn't use somatic or material components.
>>
Straight witch gishing. How mandatory is Still Spell? Am I better off using a spell or magic item to give me my armour bonus?
>>
>>43595133
>homebrew this ourselves
Do we want to?
I wouldn't mind
>>
>>43595468
Small tieflings or aasimar?
>>
How does a level one magus with a constitution penalty do combat? Somehow making use of the unique class features without dying seems tricky.
>>
>>43595834
I don't think anybody really counts that sloppy mess of a Fiendish Heritage table as useful. Do you really want to go roll a d100 to see if your character works?
>>
>>43595834
Wouldn't they still take the Strength penalty for going down a size category?
>>
>>43595845
Die, hope I'm not your DM (ie don't have any rule against playing the same classes as your last death), roll a better Magus.
>>
>>43595845
Eldritch Archer.
>>
>>43595895
Not at all. Size changes themselves dont have an inherent strength change.
>>
>>43595845
Start at fighter at level 1, at level 2 pick a level of magus and retrain your fighter level!

Fight like a caster at level 1 magus maybe? You do have the daze cantrip and can use a crossbow.
>>
>>43595762
What? How do Falchion and Greatsword give me x4s? Increased Crit Range is only good if i don't use any of the many ways of getting deadly strikes WITHOUT critting, where as if i make use of those stalker arts then my D10s will be more valuable.

Don't forget as an initiator my base weapon dice matter much less than they do to a martial, so 1d6 instead of 2d6 isn't that important when most of my damage is from strikes and deadly strike.
>>
Speaking of just starting to play Magus, why is Weapon Finesse + Dervish Dance popular? The idea as I'm told is to eliminate MAD, but why aren't you just using Strength instead of spending two feats to turn Dexterity into Strength?
>>
>>43595950
A trox gets a plus six to strength score, and four of those points are stated to be from large size. I was flipping through the bestiary recently.
>>
Just as a check: do the akashic archetypes that have access to the Daevic's veil list let you use (not necessarily bind) blood veils, or do you need to be a daevic to get that slot?
>>
>>43596049
Pretty sure that size bonuses are entirely case by case. Hell, Alter Self gives you a+2 size bonus to strength for taking a medium form regardless of if you were medium already or not.
>>
>>43596059
Actually wait, the wording on Daevic Aspect implies that there are ways of using that veil without being a daevic, so that answers my question.
>>
>>43596021
You want Ki for other things too, though, like boosting saves.

Also, if you're playing a Brutal Slayer, you don't get Deadly Strikes, you get Furious Strikes, which is +Str, which you need crits to take advantage of.
>>
>>43594953
What is the line that defines a monstrous race? Do blinklings count? Decataurs?
>>
>>43596059
Pretty sure you don't even have the slot unless something gives it to you, like in the daevic's veilweaving class feature.
>>
>>43595845
>Con penalty
>level 1
>melee combat
No. Try eldritch archer, maybe.
>>
>>43596033
Spending two feats is superior to being MAD. Dervish dance magus gets to use Dexterity for damage, dodge, saves, and initiative, and intelligence for skill points and spellcasting (if kensai, also for dodge and initiative).

Aside from that, you're using a scimitar or a rapier anyway since you rely on crits for spellstrike.
>>
>>43596111
Having racial hit dice rather than advancing entirely by class levels.
>>
>>43594953
is that a Yian Kut-Ku in a business suit?
and if so, why?
>>
>>43596059
As an extension of this, what about ring veils for those who use the "vizier's veil list". I assume i can't get the bound abilities, but i can weave them in the unbound way right?
>>43596110
Well maybe i wouldn't combine Pick to the Head with that then. It seems a little wasteful to combine it with Bushi though, so i guess I'll stick with standard Stalker if i go through with this.
>>
How does the Stalker Art "Deadly Ambush" work?
It says i use the deadly strike class feature, does that mean i apply the weakness to deadly strikes for initiation modifier rounds or does it mean just the damage itself?
>>
Playing around with an Arcanist Blade Adept build right now. Inspired Blade lvl 1 dip seems really good, you get a lot out of it. It post-pones access to EK or Hellknight Signifier, but it definitely seems worth it.

Obviously this isn't optimized, it's just an exercise to see if it could be functional but I'd appreciate some advice, especially for stats as this is quite MAD at 20pt.
>>
>>43596200
The Daevic's veilweaving says "The daevic also gains access to a special veil slot, Blood" and the Vizier has a very similar line about Rings. Seems like you'd need some way to access the slot to shape the veils, even if they are technically on your list.
>>
>>43595206

Ganzi are a huge special snowflake race, aren't they.
>>
>>43596364
Yes. Also full of political bullshit.

On an unrelated note, one of my players wants to dump Wisdom without being fucked by Will saves. Anyone know a way for a Zwei warder to change the stat their Will keys off of?
>>
>>43596337
But considering >>43596099 ,
>When you shape this veil, choose one of the following Passions: Desire, Dominion, or Wrath. If you have levels in the daevic class you must choose the same Passion as that granted by your class.

It sounds like there's a way of shaping the veil without being a daevic.
Is there a way to get the blood slot without taking levels in the class?
>>
File: JojoICannotDecide.png (534 KB, 598x512) Image search: [Google]
JojoICannotDecide.png
534 KB, 598x512
So quick question about the tier list: Why the is Promethean Alchemist/Preservationist a tier 2 class when is effectively just "a gimped summoner", even with planar preservationist? Promethean Alchemist looks pretty mediocre, and (Planar) Preservationist by itself honestly looks like it's far better, since you retain the ability to be an effective fighter /and/ throw down your pokeballs. Is it just because you can get more monsters out in a single turn? That hardly seems worth giving up bombs and all those other class features.
>>
>>43596364
>>43596408
No they aren't, the fuck?
There's no political bullshit in the Ganzi and the only thing you could take as "special snowflake" is their hair changes colour as months pass in "vibrant colours". Which doesn't mean pink and blue, but from all the art means orangey browns and the like.

They are mutants with extra fingers, eyes and toes that get them ostracized outside of this one nation. Ganzi aren't the special snowflakes, they are the non-lamashtan mutant freaks and probably the best thing Crystal has ever written.
>>
>>43596535
By which i mean the only good thing i know of, not that "normally shes good, now shes great".
>>
>An amentum is a long leather thong that attaches to a standard javelin. Before throwing, the amentum is wound about the javelin’s shaft. You then throw the javelin while gripping the amentum, imparting spin on the weapon and greatly improving its range. Attaching an amentum to a javelin is a move action, and winding it is a full-round action. Javelins can be stored with amenta already wound about them. A javelin wound with an amentum is considered a martial weapon.

Magical amentum winder for blinkback belts/returning javelins when?
>>
>>43596594
shit, just looked up the blinkback belt, and even it's not a thing that works with javelins.
>>
>>43596594
Are you sure you would want to trust automatic magic to rapidly wind a long leather thong around your javelin's shaft in the middle of combat?
>>
>>43596529
Because gimped summoner or not, it's still powerful. Summon monster SLA is more powerful than some people realize.
>>
>>43596529
Honestly /tg/ doesn't understand tiers is the only answer i can give you. By their own definitons Cavalier is Tier 4, but its in tier 5. Its got 4+ skill points, receives an animal companion and all the many out of combat and in combat benefits that entails and can acquire several unique abilities and bonuses to skills, all whilst being the second best at single target damage after the Magus. By no possible measurement is it tier 5, its clearly tier 4, being great at one thing and okay at others. They also think the Spirit Dancer is tier 3 and the medium tier 4, when each should be dumped down one tier. They also consider Summoner and Unchained Summoner to be the same tier, despite being worlds apart in level of power and flexibility.

Ultimately the tier system is very clearly just altered by one guy who makes all the decisions arbitrarily with dubious understanding of the game.

At least its not buildposter tho, that would be a really weird tier list.
>>
>>43596659
>Buildposter
You spelled Shitposter wrong.
>>
>>43596522
Could Just be forward thinking design, leaving the door open in case they do add something. Right now, I don't think there's anything that specifically gives the Blood slot other than the daevic.
>>
>>43596659
minor quibble: it doesn't get an animal companion, it gets a horse or riding dog.
>>
>>43596659
>By their own definitons Cavalier is Tier 4, but its in tier 5[...]
I don't think anyone has really taken an in-depth look at the cavalier the last time its tier placement was decided, so I believe in this case it has little to do with "not knowing tier lists". Also worth noting that a mount is not the same thing as an animal companion.

>They also consider Summoner and Unchained Summoner to be the same tier, despite being worlds apart in level of power and flexibility.
Unchained summoner is still incredibly powerful, even if it's less powerful than the summoner. The summon monster ability was left unmolested, and that in and of itself offers a bunch of flexibility in combat, not to mention it still has access to an eidolon and spells like grease and create pit.

>Ultimately the tier system is very clearly just altered by one guy who makes all the decisions arbitrarily with dubious understanding of the game.
you sound like buildposter now.
>>
>>43596641
The Summoner's Summon Monster SLA gives basically all the tools needed to qualify a class as Tier 2 all by itself. You have a huge tool chest of options you can pick from as needed, with everything from dolphins for aquatic mounts to trumpet archons for instant cleric access, and that doesn't even touch on what you Gate in.
>>
File: Urban Druids.png (142 KB, 843x1200) Image search: [Google]
Urban Druids.png
142 KB, 843x1200
>>43596111
I intended to mean "anything that would possibly get run out-of-town in a traditional village, and would still get stares even in a big city". That could include the Bloodforge races, as well as things like Trox or characters with racial hit dice.
>>
>>43595845

>Frontline fighter
>CON penalty

Pick one.
>>
>>43596641
>>43596659
I dunno, Promethean seems like a badly designed archetype, and I say that as someone who absolutely adores the concept. The fact that Preservationist can be stacked on it means that you can, at best, break even with a vanilla alchemist, and straight up inferior to an alchemist that only takes Preservationist.

I think the only thing it's actually better at is item crafting, since you can have your homunculus set up your extracts and regular, simple alchemy items while you craft harder stuff.
>>
>>43596904
Look, my rolls were 14/13/11/11/10/6 and I wanted to play an elf. Unless I dedicate one of my two """strong""" stats to CON, I have to take a penalty.

Group is new players anyway.
>>
>>43596659
As the guy who argued with folks until the Aegis got brought up to Tier 3, I'm pretty fucking certain there's more than one person involved in figuring out those fucking tiers.

The majority of them have had plenty of discussion.
>>
>>43596963
Good lord
>>
File: 1378572691030.gif (1 MB, 499x341) Image search: [Google]
1378572691030.gif
1 MB, 499x341
>>43596963
>rolling stats
STOP DOING THIS
25-30 PB or GO HOME
>>
>>43596737
Which has all the stats and feat progression of an animal companion. Yes, it sucks you cant get a flying one (without feats like monstrous mount, where you do) but it still provides a huge range of options in or out of combat.
>>43596761
Its been brought up in like 1 in 3 threads. Every time someone brings up tiers cavalier gets brought up. Yes, a mount is the same thing as an animal companion for everything except combat and movement types. A horse is just as capable as a bear of T rex of carrying things, alerting others, being a guard dog/alarm, tracking, getting 3 int so you can stop using tricks and everything else.

I could be buildposter for all you know, for whatever reason he took off his name. Accusing anonymous people of being other anonymous people won't accomplish anything though.

Honestly my contention with summoner was not that unchained should move down, but that summoner should move up. The versatility and game breaking that exists in its spell list, SLAs and Eidolon makes me feel its capable of adapting to any situation and doing game breakers like binding outsiders for wishes. But i feel the distinction as to whether summoner is tier 1 or tier 2 is less important than some other issues on the list. Tier 1/2 distinction has always seemed a little vague compared to the others.
>>
>>43596963
>rolling for stats
>getting a total of less then +3
Ask the GM if you can reroll them, a character is assumed to be too weak even for PFS if they don't have at least a total of a +4 to their attributes in-total. Let's put it this way, you're worse with that statline than the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, and 8 that NPCs get to start with. Hell ask if you can take that statline, it's better than that crap you have now.
>>
>>43596529
The tier list, despite being USED for comparison quite a bit, is not in and of itself a direct comparative listing of characters.

You can be immensely weaker than another class and still be within the same tier. This is especially true of the upper ones, where position is increasingly determined by ability to tell a GM "No, the story goes this way now".
>>
>>43597007
20-25 is normal, who the fuck plays 30?
>>
>>43597040
People who like monks and other MAD classes.
>>
File: fix_it.jpg (30 KB, 391x366) Image search: [Google]
fix_it.jpg
30 KB, 391x366
>>43596963

If you're really going to play that, then even a quasi-MAD class like magus is inadvisable. Consider wizard or something else that needs a single good stat, or ask your GM for a reroll.

Or, better yet, use a statgen method that isn't garbage.
>>
>>43596967
There are a shit ton of discussions about tiers all the time, for example buildposters insane ranting about how the kineticist in one build is better than tier 5, even when that build was objectively tier 5.

But almost every discussion ends in no change, which makes me think its just touhoufag, as hes the one who makes the threads and thus choose which pastebin we see and i think changes only get made when he sees discussions on it and agrees with it.

Its just a theory, but i don't think its a baseless one.
>>
>>43597055
I think you can play monk on 25, or sorta kinda play monk on 20. 30 is extreme, even for mad classes. I've played a lot of monks and gishes and other mad builds and i really don't see how 30 is necessary, its really just going to lead to SAD classes having no weak points at all with great saves against everything and little gain for MAD classes compared to 25.
>>
>>43596535

Paizo has really weird ideas on who should or should not be shunned by society, and why.
>>
>>43597140
>>43597040
I'm playing 30PB as a monk right now. Although I'm also cheating because I'm playing that one game DTG is running that got everyone excited a month or so back
>>
>>43596976
>>43597007
>>43597016
>>43597071
Yeah okay. I guess I'll try and reroll next session, but it looks bad making power grabs since I'm the 3.5e rules library guy helping introduce everyone to the game.
>>
>>43597162
Yes, well these guys are usually only as shunned as they are freaky. The guy with seven belly buttons can probably hide it, whilst the guy hairy elbows or who grows toenails on his forehead cant.
>>43597187
Then why aren't you the DM?
>>
>>43597187

If you're introducing 3.5 people to Pathfinder, why the hell aren't you teaching them point buy? That's PF's standard statgen system. If they go on to play with anyone else, that's what they'll use.
>>
Which "discipline combination" feats are the best?
>>
>>43597015
>getting 3 int so you can stop using tricks and everything else.

Boosting the animal's INT to 3 doesn't mean you don't have to use tricks.

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lejb?Animals-and-Their-Tricks

"If you have increased your animal companion's intelligence score to 3 using various means, then great! You can now have your companion learn any feat it can physically perform, and it can put ranks into any skill. What this increase does not accomplish, however, is any advantage in commanding your companion whatsoever. It's still the same DC 10 to handle and DC 25 to push. It may still only learn six tricks plus your druid bonus tricks. However, for every point of Intelligence it gains above 2, that is three more tricks it can learn. A smart animal will have more versatility without needing to rely on pushing."
>>
>>43596111
>>43590893
>>
Well considering I am the one who updates the pastebin tier, allow me to put some speculation to rest:

>1. There is more than just me who makes the decisions. Think of it like a council almost wherein each of the individuals has a fair wealth of experience ranging from AD&D in its heyday to theoretical optimization from the various message boards.
>2. We do take /tg/'s arguments and stances into consideration - even changing things as the need presents itself. Sometimes this is faster for some movements than others.
>3. I've never watched Touhou nor do I start the threads.
>4. We aren't regular at updating. This is mostly my fault as late due to lack of communication. Sometimes real life interferes.

Generally it is best to look for or make suggestions towards tier adjustments around a book release. We'll field questions anonymously and engage in discussion for a fair while before bringing it back into internal discussion to make sure we have /tg/'s input.
>>
>>43597369
I'm someone who knows 3.5 helping out in a group that is just starting Pathfinder from mostly 0 roleplaying experience aside from the DM. They're literally being introduced to dice that have more than 6 sides for the first time, we're rolling shit rather than trusting them to know math or use lookup tables.
>>
>>43597388
That blog post totally ignores that you can have it put its point in linguistics, learning a language, which is what gives you the advantage, not inherently it being 3 intelligence. Speak with animals explicitly states animals you can speak to who are friendly to you or your allies can perform tasks for you.

Yes, i can see the RAI, but its not a RAW dismissal of commanding animal companions using common.
>>43597393
Cavalier's been an issue for months I've brought up several times and seen brought up many others. Get a move on with it.
>>
>>43597466
Coddle them and they will never learn. Use a point buy calculator or something.
>>
>>43597094
>its just touhoufag, as hes the one who makes the threads
Touhoufag stopped monopolizing thread creation a while back.

>>43597393
>I've never watched Touhou
Touhou isn't an anime, it is a series of bullet-hell games.
>>
Is there a vitalist guide that's finished? I read 'mental medicine' but that didn't really cover feats or items, or go into archetypes. Are there any tips from experienced vitalists?
>>
>>43597516
It's not even up to me and I'm not about to make this shit more complicated for non-nerds when that makes them so much more likely to quit before it begins. And in a session that's taken up entirely by character creation, you might as well get them excited to see some dice rolls since the rest is dry as hell for them.
>>
>>43597490
Even if the animal had the capacity for speech by putting points in linguistics, you still have to deal with a creature whose nase instincts and thought processes are different than your own. Speak With Animals is a spell, so its effects aren't really relevant. You could make a good argument that the animal having a capacity for speech means you could use Diplomacy instead of Handle Animal, but seeing as how that will almost always be less efficient than just using trained tricks, it's not very relevant.

On the usefulness of mounts vs. "true" animal companions - mounts generally have very specific limitations. You can't teach a horse to wield a glaive or pick locks like you can an ape, and getting flight requires either the (terrible) monstrous mount feats, or that you be a half orc, which falls into the "narrow specific builds don't change a classes overall tier" category. A mount is manifestly not as good as the option to choose any animal companion from the druid list.

I actually agree that Cavalier is Tier 4 though.
>>
File: 1436022660458.png (121 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1436022660458.png
121 KB, 480x480
>This is a lower-powered game. Characters will be weaker than normal. Note that enemies will be stronger than normal--so don't be afraid to run from an encounter. You'll need to use your wits to win fights.
>10 PB
>>
>>43597988
What's the worst that could happen?
>>
>>43597988
Ouch. Good thing you can still play an effective spellcaster.
>>
>>43597694
It doesn't gain the capacity for speech, it gains the capacity to understand speech. Any being that can understand speech can act on it. There are no rules for using handle animal on humanoids because they understand speech, not because they have the humanoid type. Same as how handle animal affects magical beasts of animal intelligence.

Your fucking criticism of mounts is ridiculous. Teaching an ape to pick locks or use a glaive is a very specific and odd build, using a mount to break down doors, carry party loot, function as an alarm, gather food, track prey, obviously improve travel speed, scout ahead, act as bait, manage prisoners, retrieve items or the other bloody things it can do are still all incredibly useful abilities that greatly increase the versatility of a class without even considering breaching the trick limit.
>>
>>43597988

This is one of those campaigns that run for two very not fun months before falling apart due to "unknown" reasons, isn't it.

Is this really the right way to make a campaign feel more deadly? Give the party 10 PB (which is 5 below the recommended lowest by Paizo), raise the encounter CRs by 1, and watch as the party gets slaughtered?

Oh and I just checked where that game is from, you copy+pasted that from Myth-Weavers, you do know this might very well be another one of those "I actually get off on this" campaigns that we learned were actually a thing on that site?
>>
>>43597988
>10pb
>Wits

WHAT wits?

Oh, right, the wits that someone who put all ten points in their casting stat gets to have, as opposed to the poor fucker with 14 strength, 12 dex and 13 con...

>>43598162
The most common type of mythweavers campaign is the false one. Where they get all the players to write up as much as they can for their characters villages/towns/etc to "fill up the world", and the GM just runs away with all of it around the time they start asking "hey, when's the first session? weren't we starting tomorrow?".

Then a few months down the line some chucklefuck's trying to hawk his 'original content, donut steel' world.
>>
>>43598100
Understand speech does not mean "instantly reacts the way you want to want it to". Still an animal. It's not even really worth arguing; the rules are ambiguous at best, and they've already been clarified by Paizo.

You can think whatever you want is ridiculous, but the simple fact is that animal companion from full druid list > than mount. You get more versatility, more options, etc. There's simply more that you can accomplish with the expanded list, and you have the option of switching out to an environmentally appropriate companion with 24 hours prep, allowing you to access companions more closely tailored to your current adventure.
>>
>>43598259
>WHAT wits?
>Oh, right, the wits that someone who put all ten points in their casting stat gets to have, as opposed to the poor fucker with 14 strength, 12 dex and 13 con...

That's what I got out of it. "Wizards and SAD casters only, others need not apply".
>>
>>43598259

He's probably referring to the "yeah flank once or twice and run from half the fights" kind of wits.

Because you can just tell this DM's going to craft unwinnable scenarios to either add "cinematic moments" or make a scenario go his way (oh, you didn't stop the plot-critical summoning ritual? While I *totally* wrote what happens if you did, let me break out the old tome describing what happens if you don't...)
>>
File: 1445886888663.jpg (23 KB, 350x396) Image search: [Google]
1445886888663.jpg
23 KB, 350x396
>>43598162
> "I actually get off on this" campaigns that we learned were actually a thing on that site?
Wait. What.
You mean some people are "satisfied" by watching low power PCs fail? Please elaborate.
>>
>>43597389
No word yet. My suggestion would be to PM the guy if you have an account. If you don't, lemme know. IIRC you can also send messages via the gofundme, which'll let you note the incorrect email address (so he knows which one is you) and offer the correction (so you get your shit).
>>
>>43598384
>You mean some people are "satisfied" by watching low power PCs fail? Please elaborate.

Myth-Weavers campaigns, when they die, become Archived. When a campaign is archived, every single post in the campaign is revealed, including stuff only the DM or specific individuals could see, including private messages.

Anon some months ago posted a link to an archived campaign where the DM and a couple of her favored butt-buddies were casually chuckling about the misfortunes she was deliberately forcing upon PCs in their campaign, up to and including in-game psychological torture and straight up murder... Which the DM was happy to do since it gave her a "killcount."

There is literally zero reason for a DM with any level of competency to need hideously low PB and upgraded encounters to make their campaign more "lethal" unless they get off on killing PCs, or want an easy way to corral PCs into doing exactly what they want for the campaign's railroad plot.
>>
File: Llandra - Copy.png (246 KB, 488x748) Image search: [Google]
Llandra - Copy.png
246 KB, 488x748
>>43594953
Hey all: Need help making a Tiefling Calistra Cleric.

I'm doing this for PFS, and need help optimizing the shit outta her.
>>
File: 1347501790697.png (87 KB, 167x296) Image search: [Google]
1347501790697.png
87 KB, 167x296
>>43597988
Taking this hypothetical to its actual conclusion, it's not even mechanically disastrous, at least combat-wise. What happens is your players pick one of these:

18 / 15 / 8 / 7 / 7 / 7

18 / 13 / 12 / 7 / 7 / 7

16 / 16 / 12 / 7 / 7 / 7

16 / 14 / 14 / 8 / 7 / 7

16 / 14 / 12 / 11 / 7 / 7

16 / 12 / 12 / 12 / 8 / 7

14 / 14 / 14 / 13 / 7 / 7

14 / 14 / 12 / 12 / 10 / 7

14 / 13 / 12 / 12 / 12 / 7

12 / 12 / 12 / 12 / 12 / 10

And then they roleplay as the mentally-childlike characters you made them create. To reward you.
>>
>>43598489
Fuck, do you have a link to the archive of the thread or at least a campaign name? I've been having a shit day and could use a chuckle.
>>
>>43598655
>tfw >>43596963 and these all look more fun than what I got using 4d6b3
>>
>>43598655
>gritty edgy shitfarmer 10pb
>every single player ends up being a wizard with 3 dump stats

Truly we have learned nothing since 2001.
>>
>>43598835
Now you know why rolling is shit.
>>
>>43598401
I do not, but I only just noticed the Contact Organizer button after you told me, so I'm going to go do that.
>>
File: 1440214735967.png (2 MB, 1342x1600) Image search: [Google]
1440214735967.png
2 MB, 1342x1600
>>43597988
I've played characters with worse stats. I once played a Fighter with 10 Str, 9 Dex, 8 Con, 11 Int, 11 Wis, and 12 Cha. That's 1 PB, son. No re-rolls were permitted. The GM had a minimum attribute requirement (at least one 13+) for all classes other than Fighter, so I was stuck with that class. My character still managed to outlive the rest of the original party by a dozen sessions.
>>
>not rolling 9d6b3, 8d6b3, 7d6b5, 6d6b3, 5d6b3, 4d6b3, 3d6, then playing a roll set trading game with other players so everyone gets the scores they want
>>
>>43599114
que
>>
>>43598956
>implying some of them aren't playing the 4 dump stat array
>>
Everyone hates random ability scores and there's a fix for that, but what do you do for hit dice? You can't just take half the die's maximum and pretend that's average, because it's actually 0.5 higher than that.
>>
File: 1432981493912.gif (220 KB, 232x288) Image search: [Google]
1432981493912.gif
220 KB, 232x288
>You know the rules, roll 1d100
>Get a 100
>... Roll me a 1d3
>Get a 3
>Congratulations, it's triplets.
>>
>>43599247
X/2 + 1
>>
>>43599247
Alternate it, you moron.

Gain 5hp on odd levels and 6hp on even.

Was that so hard?
>>
>>43599247
which is why you add 1 at 3rd level and every 2 levels thereafter
>>
>>43599247
I generally either do average-rounded up on each die. Some of my DMs like true average, rounded up at the end.
>>
>>43596299
>How does the Stalker Art "Deadly Ambush" work?
>It says i use the deadly strike class feature, does that mean i apply the weakness to deadly strikes for initiation modifier rounds or does it mean just the damage itself?

Different anon, but I also wouldn't mind knowing this. It seems rather vague.
>>
>>43596299
>>43599305
it's pretty much just sneak attack with different dice rules. you're welcome.
>>
>>43599247
The way both games I'm in do it is you keep track of your point-5s, so it works like FCBs with their fractional bonuses.

Drowanon's game takes it a step further though. In his game we roll for hp, but if we get less than the average, we get the average. So rolling a 1 is an 'oh well' rather than a 'fuck', but you can still roll well.

We're also allowed to retrain our hp, which is also nice.
>>
>>43598655
These only stop looking disgusting at The point where there are less than three negative modifiers (16/14/12/11/7/7).
>>
Messing around with a Blade Adept build. Does this look passable? WBL is 1.5x.
>>
>>43599495
Is that 16 int AFTER the headband? You probably want 2 more int.
>>
>>43599637

The build is so damn MAD I did what I could, I suppose dropping STR to 7 is doable but then I'm at 21/20, and I don't have a clue what to drop at that point.
>>
>>43599637
Looks like it checks out to 20pb m8.
>>
>>43599724
I'm not questioning his point buy, I'm questioning his choice of how to use it.
>>43599495
>>43599705
Maybe you could like play an elf or other dex/int race instead of a human? You have good int so skilled isn't necessary, isn't there any racial bonuses that might tempt you away from that feat?
>>
I am in a campaign that is supposed to be "optimized." We start at 3rd level with 20 point buy, and we have access to only first-party materials and the GM's own homebrew. We have in the party an oracle of some kind, a house-rule-fixed magus (Eldritch Scion), and my own character, a devil-blooded tiefling "sage," a homebrew high tier 2 class by the GM:
http://kindofonfire.weebly.com/original-pathfinder-content/meet-the-sage

And then we have a human aether kineticist:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=616617
(Bear in mind that this character is supposed to be a dual-talent human, yet lacks 5 points of point buy.)

How should I best persuade the player to do away with such a build that lacks even Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, or better still, convince the player to switch classes altogether? What would be an ideal class to switch to that still captures the concept of a telekinetic blaster? The GM's homebrew does not directly accommodate such a concept, sadly.

I am not so sure that consigning this character to the "token comedy relief" role will be very fair to them.
>>
>Murderous Insight
>Swift action, make an attack and roll twice to hit
Alright, fair enough
>This has a duration equal to 1 plus wis mod rounds
What? Is this just for the roll twice to hit thing?
>>
>>43599849
To quote last thread: "don't, let him suffer the consequences of his actions. It is only through pain that a man can truly learn"
>>
>>43599849
Direct him to the aether kineticist build on the pathfinder guides guide.
Its a guide that says "the aether kineticist is shit, but can trip people and is kind of fun". Its specific to aether and should help him a lot.
>>
>>43599758

Hmm, I swapped to Elf and moved the stats around a bit so base array is now

8 STR, 16 DEX, 10 CON, 16 INT, 10 WIS, 16 CHA

Bringing me to 8 STR, 22 DEX, 14 CON, 18 INT, 10 WIS, 16 CHA after items.

>>43599849
>house-rule fixed Eldritch Scion

I'd love to hear these.
>>
File: 1446623644722.png (1 MB, 1073x1449) Image search: [Google]
1446623644722.png
1 MB, 1073x1449
>>43599904
Through extreme pain?
>>
>>43599965
Should be fine if you have someone else to carry your gear or buy something that gives constant ant haul.
>>
>>43599856
Yeah it's a little absurd.
>>
>>43599856
What's that from? That can't be balanced.
>>
File: Agnaktor.png (356 KB, 678x885) Image search: [Google]
Agnaktor.png
356 KB, 678x885
>>43596172
Why not?
>>
>>43600019
Muleback Cords are also good for carrying what you can't or don't want to carry in extradimensional storage; ant haul item is RAW a belt, so it conflicts with the DEX belt, but Muleback cords aren't belt slot, so they can be bought before he has the dosh to slap ant haul on the belt.
>>
>>43600449
Muleback cords occupy the shoulder slot though, which he's currently using for the cloak of resistance.
>>
>>43600449
Wow, rereading my post has shown what a horrid pile of word spaghetti it is. I'm actually kind of ashamed of myself.
>>
>>43599980
Why does this face remind me of Bateman? Have I been on here for too long?
>>
>>43600494
I am still trying to determine for myself if it's a shooped face or not.
>>
>>43600503
>Excuse me Daedalus,
>>
>>43600494
The face is CIA.
>>
>>43595084
Gonna bump this question. I feel like there should be something that keys off one of those, at the very least, or if not that, all the AoOs.
>>
>>43595084
Mithral Current discipline, I think. The landschnekt prc likes it too.
>>
>>43600481
Get a Vest of Resistance from Steelforge.
>>
Is there a weapon like Vegas' claw? I can't seem to find one.
>>
>>43600616
Spiked gauntlet?
>>
File: 1446165892527.jpg (39 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1446165892527.jpg
39 KB, 960x540
>>43600635
But Vegas claw can be disarmed.
>>
>>43600668
Refluffed punch dagger?
>>
>>43600679
I figured that's what I'd roll with if I couldn't find anything, hoped to keep refluffing to a minimum but it can't be helped.
>>
>>43600616
Tekko Kagi. Martial Weapon. Was in Ultimate Combat. On SRD.

You're welcome
>>
File: 6TlrFuI.gif (1004 KB, 258x200) Image search: [Google]
6TlrFuI.gif
1004 KB, 258x200
>>43600668
>>
File: 1399655766927.png (563 KB, 848x900) Image search: [Google]
1399655766927.png
563 KB, 848x900
>>43600730
>Exotic, 1d3, 20/x2, can disarm, +2 to disarm only against shitty swords
They need to establish a design rule where writers are not allowed to even put a weapon into a table if with a 1d3 damage entry unless it's a table of improvised garbage to throw around a bar brawl.
>>
File: 2B01jU2.gif (2 MB, 360x196) Image search: [Google]
2B01jU2.gif
2 MB, 360x196
>>43600730
>1d3 exotic weapon with 20x2 crit range
>Not even a monk weapon.
>>
>>43600879
Wow! Even a Dagger does more and has a better crit range. Hope the disarm is worth it.
>>
>>43600616
Claw blades and rending claw blades. Also, Talons of leng if you have mad money

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/claw-blades

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/rending-claw-blade
>>
>>43600934
Literally only for Catfolk and aren't weapons in their own right anyway.
>>
>>43600879
>>43600886
Hey, all I said was they existed, not that they were any good at all. It's still exactly the same Weapon as Vega's, not my fault Bhulman was bullied by another nerd who mained him in SF.
>>
>>43599904
>>43599963

I have spoken with the player in question for a bit, and all they have to say in response is:

>i like the telekinesis and abilities and i want to try it out instead of playing something i always play.

Should I let them play the aether kineticist anyway?
>>
>>43601000
Does your game have access to SoP? Maybe you could convince them to play a character from there with the TK sphere.
>>
>>43601000
Let him fall anon. Let him fall upon his sword.
>>
>>43600996
>humans
>caring about racial restrictions
>>
>>43601013

No. As I mentioned above, the only allowed sources are first-party material and the GM's own homebrew, which does not contain anything telekinetic-related.
>>
>>43601084
I'd consider talking the DM into making burn into just a daily resource, instead of one that damages him. They're a very low tier 4ish, but changing that would make them merely mediocre instead of awful.
>>
>>43601084
>>43601128
Be sure to have math on hand when you do this, it's been posted a few times in previous threads here, of how shit Burn is as a mechanic.
>>
Are there any good ways of getting unlimited out of combat healing for the whole party in a campaign with 3.5 and DSP allowed, that aren't:
-Hitting stuff with silver crane / unquiet grave
-Having a vitalist in the party
-Boots of the earth
-Ring of regeneration
-Cure Minor Wounds as an Orison
-Getting a small positive energy elemental familiar
?
>>
How do I make the Double Hackbut/Culverin work?
Its a really cool weapon but combat is usually half over by the time you set it up or you'll be spraying half your guys in the back if you shoot it.
Would a Large Size character race and dealing with the inappropriate weapon size make it worth it?
>>
I haven't paid attention to any /pfg/s since last week. Have I missed anything notable?
>>
>>43601128
FINALLY! the opportunity to shill my kineticist overhaul

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RnvxfcyHuFN86Sj4dNn6SsX_8RxEuOMNS8JuY8OJZ3Y/edit?usp=sharing

things to note though is that even though I've looked through it a couple of times, there may very well be things I missed that don't quite make sense, but for the most part it should be much better than the default kineticist.
>>
>>43601391
Use Psitech (ArcForge?) Mechs to carry and load the weapon, since it can make siege weapons and similar more viable.
>>
>>43601399
/tg/ saved ErrantX from homelessness

That was pretty cool
>>
>>43601457
Wut. How'd we do that?
>>
Hey, what do you think would be the most appropriate skill to roll secretly for determining if a PC notices the fine print in a contract? Perception, Linguistics, or Sense Motive?

Also, supposing no PC passed the check, whatever it it, do you think it's a dick move on my part? If the contract comes back up later, the party will have hunter-knights from the cabal of undeath that they made shady dealings with chasing after them for execution and re-animation.
>>
>>43601473
ErrantX's life imploded. They had a gofundme. We managed to raise enough money to meet the goal in literally a day.
>>
>>43601487
Look up Forgery kits, they should lead you to Forgery rules, which are probably the best thing to compare this to.

>>43601516
Huh. Neat. We do still get shit done.
>>
>>43601378
Persisted Mass Lesser Vigor is doable with 19,800gp and two feats. Empower Spell, Persistent Spell, a minor schema of Concurrent Infusions, and a minor schema of Metamagic Item.

Concurrent Infusions -> Spell-Storing Item infusion to make a 1-charge wand of any spell of up to 4th level, then Metamagic Item the wand to apply Persistent Spell to it. In a pinch, it can also become literally any other persisted buff of those levels.
>>
>>43601516
That makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

>>43601524
Okay, haven't heard of them before but I'll check them out. Not that it actually matters, since I am the DM, but are they 3PP?

Also, you know, while I was worried about some of my players possibly getting upset at me over the situation if it happens, it suddenly dawns on me that if a player gets buttmad about something like that I probably should consider that his problem, not mine. I mean, I never promised I'd make everything nice for the PCs, and if you're considering dealing with shady organizations you better be ready for them to pull something shady.

I dunno, it just seems like making secret rolls on behalf of the PCs, even though it preserves the atmosphere and keeps the surprise, is kinda prone to making people feel angry. Never even mind the people that accuse you of fudging or never even making said secret rolls.
>>
>>43600996
>>43600886
>>43600879
So, what stats should we use to "fix" the iron claws/Tekko Kagi? 1d6 19-20/x3?
>>
>>43594953
I'm building a Steelfist Commando for a friend, not knowing much about it, should it be Strength or Dex focused?
>>
>>43600879
Don't forget it's also a spiked buckler.
>>
>>43601539
That's something I never would have thought of due to my inexperience with 3.5 stuff, thanks.

I'll run it by the GM.
>>
>>43601619
>Not that it actually matters, since I am the DM, but are they 3PP?
They're Ultimate Equipment, they provide bonuses to Forgery checks, I just couldn't remember which skills are involved, but I knew the PFSRD links to the skill involved in the kit description.

As for the rest, you can have them roll a d20 and tell you the result, that way it's their dice that did the roll. You can say "Remember that d20 I had you roll? Yeah, that was for this."

I personally find that a lot of skills are best rolled entirely in secret, so that the player can't and won't be tempted to meta the outcome based on the die result. Bluff, for example.
>>
>a campaign where the entire point is to play as a party full of the weirder races who are sent to the far away land of humans, dwarfed, elves, and other strange shit
>all the natives notice how odd you all look
>you get to experience an "alien" culture
Would it be good?
>>
>>43601629
That is worth EWP I think. I'd rather have it just be a martial weapon though, so:
1d6 19-20/x2.
>>
>>43601788
This is every game I've played.
>>
>>43601701
Yeah, it's something I've always felt is a point of contention. Some people are untrusting of the DM, or trust the DM but still prefer to roll their own checks so that they're at least fucked by their own dice. I know other people with a "let the dice fall where they may" mentality that will just take it as it happens because that's how putting dice into a game works: sometimes you roll well and sometimes you don't.

Some people just really get mad when you tell them "Yeah, your character just got ganked by an assassin. No, you failed the perception check I secretly rolled for you." But you shouldn't be afraid to roll checks in secret just because you're worried your players will get angry if it doesn't work out for them.
>>
>>43601788
Being treated differently is half the fun of playing races like tieflings and orkz, so I'd say yes.
>>
>>43601829
I usually make sure my sneaky assassins are tragically not as efficient as they thought they were, and outside of sleep-kills (which are cheap for PCs anyway), I try to avoid giving them the potential to instakill a party member. Instead, I place 3 to 5 of them against the party, the last 2 of which wait until the party is comprised or their allies are losing to participate.
>>
>>43601908
The assassin was just a generic example really, and I've never actually sent one after a PC. I'm just kind of an oddly paranoid DM because I feel like I'm walking on eggshells with one of my players. Which... on some level kind of strikes me as wrong, like I shouldn't have to be worried about offending my players because of stuff like that. I feel like I should probably have a tougher attitude, but on the other hand he's still a friend of mine so I don't actually want to upset him. I wouldn't call him entitled, it's just... Well, once I made a pretty bad mistake while GMing and he more-or-less said he won't be able to trust me as a GM after that.
>>
>>43601968
That you recognize your mistakes and want to avoid them in the future is a good sign. As long as you're trying, there's really nothing else your players can ask of you - and being nervous is better than total callousness, which inevitably leads to jaded asshole syndrome and ruins everything.
>>
Whats the best Cavalier archetype, /pfg/?
>>
>>43601411
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RnvxfcyHuFN86Sj4dNn6SsX_8RxEuOMNS8JuY8OJZ3Y/edit?usp=sharing

Why not turn Burn into a pool much like Ki?
>Everything that adds burn decreases the pool.
>Gather Power/Supercharge lower the cost
>Infusion specialization/Composite specialization/Metakinesis master all lower cost
>Internal buffer is a pool that allows you to bypass your turn by turn spending limit
>Elemental Overflow kicks in when you spend points ie. spend 3 points at level 6 for the lowest form to spend 7 points to gain highest benefits

This completely removes the non-lethal issue and can keep Con mod as the stat for the pool's modifier. This also opens up easy ports to feats like Extra Ki to increase the Burn pool and eases the mechanical aspect of archetype design (rendering Monk, Unchained Monk, and Ninja as immediate options - but with a little tweaking could easily do a Swashbuckler/Samurai based on Kinetic Blade, a Gunslinger that shoots elemental bullets or even a 6th caster like the Magus with limited at will blasting).

Just seems a lot easier for what you aim to do with much less work.
>>
>>43602190
None of it because Cavalier is a bad class.
>>
>>43602190
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/esquire-cavalier-archetype
>>
>>43602190
Depends on what you want to do. Beast Rider gains an animal companion so T-Rex or large cat becomes an option. Daring Champion is effectively a better Swashbuckler than Swashbuckler.
>>
>>43602190
Beast Rider is good.
If you don't mind losing your mount,
Huntsmaster
Daring Champion(Better Swashbuckler)

Really depends on if you want the mount or will be playing most of the game on foot.
>>
homebrewer here

what do you think about tails giving certain advatages/disadvantages and which ones should i choose?
>>
>>43602190
Beast Rider is the ONLY Cavalier archetype in my mind. Well, except for Daring Champion, I guess maybe, but I hear it and everything else that got Swashbuckler deeds was nerfed a while back.

>>43602280
I'd be all for a decent archetype of Cavalier that gives up its mount, just to have the option. It's just a terrible shame that Huntsmaster is not decent.
>>
>>43602215
>Why not turn Burn into a pool much like Ki?
It's one of the many options I considered, but eventually I settled on the current iteration of it given that it was intended to be an "all day" class. I'm not going to say that my design is the best way of doing it, only that it's the way I feel I could have handled it best.

The problem with resource pools I've seen in pathfinder is that they're so wide so as to not actually matter (rage, bardic performance, alchemist bombs, spells per day), or they're so restrictive that you avoid using suboptimal options that would suck precious points from it (kineticist, gunslinger, unchained monk). I could have gone with what you suggested, but I ultimately decided that I wanted to minimize the bookkeeping of the class in every way I could.

I'm very happy with the way it has turned out, as it's now extremely flavor agnostic and I feel it has an absolutely staggering number of viable (though not necessarily optimal) build options.
>>
>>43602340
>Swashbuckler deeds was nerfed
This is why Daring Champion is sad now.
>decent archetype for Cavalier that gives up its mount
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/esquire-cavalier-archetype

Seriously, this.
>>
>>43602190
Hunter :^)
>>
>>43601487
I would avoid doing something like this. If you're the type of DM to glance over the minor unimportant things when they say they read the paper or search a book for notes, they'll feel lied to by you. In the future they may meta game super paranoid and waste time on double checking things you didn't intend to go too much into detail about.

When signing away your soul, the being doesn't need to trick you. They'll get your soul when you die. Why wouldn't whoever they contract with just kill you and control you without making a deal? Is the fineprint "oh yeah we'll add you to our zombie army at some point"?

The first time you use poison to kill a player character, they'll grab poison immunity or start checking their food for poison every time. They'll cast the spell checking their food for poison in front of the goddamn king and his royal chef and everyone at the feast, insulting his dignity. And why would they do that? Because they don't want their level 12 character to die from poison because you've done it before. Because they know the one time they decide not to, you've opened up the possibility.

So they need to check, not because it makes sense for the PC to do so, but because they don't want to be fucked by bullshit. It's like how a Paladin is always forced into save the orphans or kill the bad guy situations.

The PCs need to be able to get fucked, but it has to be organic. SUPRISE THAT DEAL YOU MADE A WHILE AGO COMPLETELY FORFEITS YOUR LIFE is not one of them. Giving them a deal that gives them an immediate benefit but a long term set back is a good idea. Having successive deals with greater and greater rewards but harsher penalties can work. Or they have to agree to the cabal resurrection thing upfront, but then they can make future deals for little cost or have time to attempt to secretly worm their way out of it. If they are caught trying to keep what they've gained and trying to renege on their deal do the death squads come to claim them.
>>
>>43602392
>It's like how a Paladin is always forced into save the orphans or kill the bad guy situations

Not to nitpick, but a Paladin promotes Good first and upholds the Law second.
There is rarely a grey morality for a Paladin to fall as long as they always promote good rather than combat evil.
>>
>>43602235

Cavalier is a great class you tosser, it's just there aren't many situations you can actually use the class abilities.
>>
>>43602333
Tails for what?
>>
>>43602476
Anastasia approves.
>>
>>43602340
What is the problem with Huntmaster? I know the Tactician hit is really shitty but you're still able to use outflank and paired Opportunist without worrying about your teammates getting in place since you can set it up yourself.
Bestial Challenge is also pretty good.
>>
Who killed D20PFSRD?
>>
File: 1431745075822.png (59 KB, 580x356) Image search: [Google]
1431745075822.png
59 KB, 580x356
>>43602501
>>
>>43602544
My guess, and this is really just a guess, is that the Dog's or Bird's stats are incredibly poor when compared to say, Beast Rider's Tyrannosaurus, and investing so much of your class ability into a Dog or Bird might leave you sitting on your hands.
>>
New release for Spheres Of Power just launched, it's a handbook for the Nature sphere.
>>
>>43602515
Gareth, I got a question regarding the Harbinger Ravenlord archetype.

Does it strictly have to be a Raven and not any animal with flight? Because I was planning on being fantasy batman.
>>
>>43602582
>Black Armor, Sword and Cape
>Jet black hair and Bloodshot eyes
>Raven flock
>Looks like a black visual kei album cover

Definitely a Harbinger
>>
>>43602572
Thing is the Huntmaster is a bad archetype because the Hunter Packmaster and Feral Hunter archetype does it better.
>>
>>43602544
See >>43602572. I'd like it if there was an archetype that gave up the animal buddy completely and altogether, but kept the teamwork feats and other not-mount-related aspects of the class. Sometimes I want to be the clever battlefield commander without also riding around on some animal. Huntsmaster lets me do that, but it'd be nice if I got something more useful in exchange for the lost mount.
>>
>>43602551
>Who killed D20PFSRD?

Don't know, but it seems to be alive again.
>>
>>43602582
Anything you feel comfortable representing with the Bird stats from the animal companion list.
>>
>>43602578
We've had that in the list of links for 2 months.

Nobody really cares about it.
>>
>>43602677
I mean the official release for it. There's apparently going to be a monthly thing for each Sphere? And it's all by freelancers? That sounds really risky from a business perspective.
>>
>>43602582
I still say this makes a great art for the Harbinger page
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.