[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D, Point-buy vs Rolling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 14409917481616.jpg (140 KB, 583x664) Image search: [Google]
14409917481616.jpg
140 KB, 583x664
I've heard opinions on both, now I want to know how you guys feel about either one.

pic unrelated, it's my character for a PF game I'm in.
>>
>>43592364
Rolling only works in 2e where your stats weren't all that important once chargen was completed. Rolling in 3e is just asking to get railed by bad luck.

You could roll straight 9s on a 2e fighter and still be a very capable warrior.
>>
I like rolling because it means I can blame luck rather than myself for my shitty stats.
>>
>>43592420
That's exactly what I said to a couple of my mates just a few minutes ago.
>>
I'd rather just start with the stat spread I want than go through the dance of committing suicide by monster and rerolling over again until I get one that's not shit.
>>
>>43592364
Lets say that my group doesn't let me roll for my characters stats, and not because I roll good
>>
>>43592364
Either works really. In the 5th ed game I'm running, the cleric, who rolled stats so high he too a 5 just to be interesting, gets wrecked easily. These players were new to ttrpgs in general, so they didn't have characters to design in mind.

The way I see it is that point buy helps you tailor a character to fit an image in your head perfectly, or powergame...

Don't fear the 4d6s.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
39 KB, 1280x720
>>43592503
Well, Anon. You don't roll well.
>>
>>43592364
I know it isn't really the point of this topic, but I love how some versions of old D&D had you roll for stats and then let you trade points around at 1 to 2 or 1 to 3 ratios.
>>
File: 1370283134552.png (4 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
1370283134552.png
4 KB, 512x448
3d6 in order
>>
>>43592597
This. The only time random rolls shine is when they're locked-into a specific stat. Otherwise, just use point buy or an array.
>>
>>43592533
Last character I made I had to roll 5 different arrays, and the highest one had a total modifier of +3 with highest stat a 14.
>>
>>43592597
Real men choose class first, and then roll 3d6
>>
Rolls only work in specific games, usually for purposes of comedy. Things like Maid, where the stats don't matter.

In D&D unless you're just running a stupid meatgrinder, using pointbuy or an array is always better.
>>
>>43592364
If you're allowed to roll, I'd say do it. Why even have the D&D stat system if no-one has an odd numbered ability?
>>
>>43592594
That was back when you rolled stats before class, so you would trade in points to meet the requirements of that class.
>>
File: successfulbait.png (93 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
successfulbait.png
93 KB, 1198x1200
>>43592364
Rolling for stats is for scrubs. If I want to have a certain character a certain way, I should be the one giving him the stats.

If I wanted stats allocated at random, I'd play life instead.

tl; dr: Rolling for stats is fucking idiotic.

/rant
>>
>>43592916
>Why even have the D&D stat system if no-one has an odd numbered ability?
D&D has several unfun legacy mechanics that have stuck around long after they were of any use.
>>
>>43592916

D&D would be a superior system if they dropped ability scores and just used the modifiers. The actual value of your ability score is almost completely irrelevant most of the time anyway, the system would work a lot better if stats were on a -1 to +4 scale where the stat Was the modifier, with no fiddly bits in between.
>>
>>43592412
Pretty much this.

OD&D, Basic Set, AD&D, and most OSR stuff is built so stats aren't a be all end all. With the post-AD&D editions (3.X, 4e, 5e, and any other d20 games), your class features are so closely tied to your stats that you need to have at least decent stats to function.

Rolling works for post-AD&D, but it needs to be at least 4d6 drop the lowest, if not 5d6 drop the lowest two, or 2d6+6
>>
Play a real game, you meme addicted retard.
>>
>All people in my groups always want to roll stats
>Complain for days even months when they get bad arrays
Time to find new groups
>>
>>43592364
>System where evertying is dictated by your stats
>Leaving that to luck
Sorry, I already have to roll d20s to do shit, I don't want to also have double randomness by rolling stats
>>
>>43592364
Rolling, if gives a high chance of better stats than point buy or it's a one-shot.
Otherwise point buy.
Although I generally try to avoid playing D&D at all nowadays.
>>
3D6 IN ORDER!

AS CROM INTENDED!
>>
pick class
4d6 drop lowest
assign each stack as needed

have played characters with multiple 3's in stats, had fun.
>>
>>43593494
I kind of want to randomly choose class and then 3d6 each stat in 5e and see what I can do with it.
>>
>>43593997
This. This is how I've always played, and it's worked out just fine for everyone.
>>
>>43592778
Character generation wouldn't actually make sense. Your character would have those stats before he picked a class, and there's really no reason other than weak justifications why your 5 strength 18 charisma man would choose to become a barbarian as his life career.
>>
>>43593102
>>43593102
If you've been with them for months just suggest they try point buy for once.
>>
>>43595601
You can talk shit about his barbarian all you want, but at the end of the night he's the one pleasing your wife, her sister, and her mother-in-law.
>>
>>43595622
I tried, they still want rolling for stats
>>
>>43595764
Been playing CK2 I see
>>
>>43592364
>2e
Either 4d6 drop low or assign 75-78 points depending on how awesome I expect you to be, no repeated scores except 10s and 11s.

>3e
30 PB, 32 if I intend to finish at level 10.

>5e
29PB, no you don't get to roll because the last time I had rolls we ended up with a situation where everyone who rolled less than PB either rerolled and got more, cheated and got more, or asked for PB thus fucking over players who stuck to PB.
>>
I like rolling for the random factor if I'm not that concerned about the future of the character.
Find it a lot more fun to respond to things as they happen rather than try to fit a perfect archetype or power game. Since RPing through the world is more fun (assuming the DM isn't ass) and more reliable anyway.

Point Buy is good too, but I always end up feeling constrained and wondering what could have been.
>>
>>43592364

Point-buy is superior, because it fucking sucks to have one person at the party outshine everyone else by virtue of having a total modifier of +11 when everyone else has average stats.

Or, even worse, when everyone is good and you're, just, terrible.
>>
>>43592364

When I saw this image I immediately heard his theme, but in 1920's silent comedy movie ragtime music.
>>
>>43592364
Knew a guy who used Monopoly dice for everything, he always got 3+ modifiers on all stats and hit like a truck.
Only overpowered Monk I've seen in 3.5, helps that he used broken 3rd party splatbooks
>>
>>43596589
>Tfw playing right now in a PF group (yeah, I know I know) and a guy has a total modifier of + fucking 17, the next one is a +8, and my character is a +5
4 sessions I'm literally useless, already talked to the GM and the only option that I have is leave
>>
File: 1426096509822.png (221 KB, 1230x1610) Image search: [Google]
1426096509822.png
221 KB, 1230x1610
>>43592364
I used this with some DC sexy chicks playing cards.

One guy insisted on rolling, I let him with his own dice. When he rolled poorly I let him change his mind because he wasn't capable of being a wizard or decent fighter
>>
Rolls with limiters, such as 4d6 drop lowest, or 2d6+6, as well as the option to reroll on a case-by-case basis (chosen class requires many good stats, or their stat array is much weaker compared to everyone else)

I'd always take pointbuy over rolling 3d6, though.
>>
Point buy your maximum stats and roll your starting stats. Each level up add 1 (or 2 if you have particularly shit stats) stat point(s) up to the maximum. After level 10 you can start spending points past the maximum.
>>
>>43592446
How do it go?
>>
>>43597605
This seems like an interesting albeit flawed way to do it. How many points do you get for your "maximum" stats?
>>
>>43597825
Very High fantasy point buy allowance.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.