[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alignment of Alarak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 10
File: Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg (48 KB, 433x440) Image search: [Google]
Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg
48 KB, 433x440
Which Alignment has Alarak from legacy of the void?
>>
>>43589944
Chaotic flipflop
>>
Lawful Evil
>>
What's his deal?
>>
>>43594004
he's the head cultist of the evil gods that then isn't.

Also gets healed by death.
>>
>>43594064
Sounds very terrible
>>
>>43589944
Neutral evil if going by DnD rules, much more ambiguous if going by reality
>>
>>43589944

How bad is the writing in that campaign? I played Wings of Liberty and was appalled at how awful it was.

I came back to play Heart of Swarm last year because I missed Starcraft and was amazed to find it hadn't improved (though the nature of the story did much less damage to the existing setting)

I expect LotV hasn't improved any?
>>
>>43597052
improved in SOME ways, Much worse in others, you will hate the ending but the guy in the OP is one of the better things to come from it
>>
File: 1366047280235.jpg (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1366047280235.jpg
39 KB, 800x600
>>43597052
A step up from Heart of the Swarm guaranteed. Plot's still meh, but this introduced some pretty fun characters. OP's pic is one of my favorite, pretty fun pragmatic villain that you get to work with.
>>
>>43597052
You don't play Blizzard Campaigns for the plot, you play them for the interesting and varied missions and to laugh at the terrible writing.
>>
>>43597231
Not always... it wasn't always like this...
>>
>>43597337
it all changed with WoW and activision
>>
>>43597337
Zug-zug!
https://youtu.be/ZPceWwNia6I?t=13s
>>
>>43597052

Main campaign was mostly tolerable. Epilogue was HotS tier garbage.
>>
>>43597370
Meh, the decline had already started at WCIII.
I mean, don't get me wrong. The campaigns were pretty great, and I don't know how many hundreds of hours I spent on that game, but Regin of Chaos did have it's fair share of cringeworthy writing.

The endless thirst for higher power levels and new bosses of WoW-expansions kinda accelerated it though.
>>
>>43597231
This is not historically accurate
>>
>>43597423
Epilogue was actually beyond HotS tier in terms of bile
>>
File: UNITY.jpg (115 KB, 702x370) Image search: [Google]
UNITY.jpg
115 KB, 702x370
LET'S FIGHT AS ONE FOR UNITY AND THEN STAND AS ONE IN PURE UNITY AGAINST AGAINST THE FORCES THAT WANT TO BREAK OUR SACRED UNITY! WE'LL BE AS ONE IN THE STARS AND NEVER WE WILL HAVE BEEN SO UNITED.
>>
>>43597502
I'm curious, what's the tldr?
>>
>>43597459
Wasn't it more of the voice acting? I found the plot serviceable.
>>
>>43597758
The very first thing the plot did was drag back Medivh for a PROPHECY OF DOOM and focus on a half-orc noble savage.

Very first fucking thing. The plot was a writeoff from the start, even if there was fun to be had within.
>>
>>43597758
Might have been in part that. It was such a long time ago.
>>
>>43597052
>though the nature of the story did much less damage to the existing setting
I'd argue that killing Mengsk did quite a lot of harm. His voice acting was the best thing about SC2.
>>
>>43597805
Also they completely reused the plot with Kerr... Sylvanas becomming Zer... Undead.
>>
>>43597805
Which made sense since the entire point was to make orcs less of a one dimensional thing. And a ghost of one of the greatest magic wielder in history is that ridiculous to you?
>>
>>43597732
(Ill assume you have finished Heart of the Swarm's campain)
>Amon was banished in the void, but will return one day
>Kerrigan hears a dark benevolent voice calling for help from the void
>Kerrigan calls Artanis and Raynor for help, and all three go into the void through a portal opened by Amon previously to his defeat
>The void is actually exactly the same as real space, except it's read and painful, because it's evil
>They suddenly appear on a world without any explanation, and then Artanis hears Tassadar's voice, which is calling for help
>Together they free Tassadar who was imprisoned by Narud, who happened to be a xel'naga like Amon
>Narud is killed in the void, and therefore killed forever
>Tassadar reveals he's not Tassadar, he's in fact another xel'naga called Ouros, and it's him, not Tassadar, that appeared earlier in SC2's campain
>Ouros reveals the Zeratul was right and that indeed Kerrigan is the ultimate key to Amon's problem
>Why? Because Kerrigan is now a good receptacle for Ouros' essence, and Kerrigan has to become a xel'naga
>Raynor says "no, don't do it, you don't have to do it", and Kerrigan does "I need to, because I didn't so much bad things"
>Kerrigan becomes a xel'naga, Ouros dies, Kerrigan is now the last xel'naga, she's not a zerg or a human anymore, she's now a flying fire angel with infinite power and true vision of all space and time
>With help of Artanis and Raynor, Kerrigan fights Amon
>Amon is protected by monoliths
>Kerrigan destroys monoliths
>Kerrigan kills Amon
>Amon says HAAAAAA
>Kerrigan kisses Raynor within an hallucination
>Kerrigan disappears
>Raynor goes into a bar
>Time passes, life mysteriously florishes if Koprulu
>Kerrigan appears to him as a human ghost
>Raynor says "hell, it's about time", and leaves with her, never to be seen again
>the end
>>
>>43594004
Manipulative, somewhat snarky evil asshole.

Voiced by John de Lancie.
>>
>>43597983
They couldn't at least have made her xel'naga form actually interesting?
>>
>>43597983
Sorry, I made some weird typos, I'm tired.
In order:
>except it's RED and painful
>Ouros reveals THAT Zeratul
>"I need to, because I DID so much bad things"
>Time passes, THEN Raynor goes into a bar
>>
>>43597983
Ehnnk

So it's NOT about retaking Aiur?
>>
>>43598068
That's the mission at first then Amon hijacks the kala
>>
File: Artanis_SC1_Head2.jpg (9 KB, 370x330) Image search: [Google]
Artanis_SC1_Head2.jpg
9 KB, 370x330
>>43597052
They forgot Artanis' single most defining characteristic.
>>
>>43597983
>human ghost

At this point I have to ask if you're referring to the afterlife kind or the stealth unit type.
>>
>>43597732

LotV is divided into three parts. First is the prologue, which is just Zeratul wandering about trying to figure out how to kill Amon.

Next, the main campaign. Artanis tries to retake Aiur, Amon infests the khala and posses the protoss. Zeratul saves Artanis at the cost of the his own life. Artanis saves a few others, runs away to get the artifact from WoL. Does so, winds up uniting various protoss factions, including OP guy and mecha-Fenix. Uses artifact as a map to go to xel'naga homeworld (actually a space station) to ask for help, they all dead. Also, Amon is the one who created the 'toss/zerg. Plan B; go back to Aiur and use artifact to suck Amon out of the Khala and give all the possesed 'toss a haircut to free them. It happens, without a body/bodies Amon gets sent back to the Void. Hooray.

Finally, the epilogue. Kerrigan calls the Scooby gang together, tells them Amon will be back eventually, and so they turn the xel'naga home into a portal into the Void to go kill him. They find the last good xel'naga, who somehow turns Kerrigan into one of his kind, despite the fact she never merged with a 'toss to achieve the whole 'purity of form' thing, so she can kill Amon. She does this by turning into a Super Saiyan giant ape form and Kamehameha-ing him to death. Everybody goes home and has a happy life except Jim, but he gets a good end when Kerrigan reappears to shack up with him or take him back to the Void with her or something.
>>
>>43598068
What I explained is JUST the epilogue, that is to say the three last missions, separated from Protoss campain. Protoss campain is about retaking Aiur, then failing to retake Aiur, then banishing Amon against all odds, and by the way retaking Aiur.
>>
>>43598099
The stealth unit type, it's like she's beautiful and normal again. Seriously I don't really understand what happens here, except "POWER OF LOVE"
>>
>>43597052
You know how orcs were retconned out of being evil assholes in Warcraft?
Guess what race that happened to this time
Hint: It's the zerg.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gAz7EtslMws
>>
>>43598217
So yea, the big wise-zergy-blob-thing is Ouros, as explained here >>43597983
>>
>>43597983
Final ending, starting from Amon's final death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpw4Zi2aAFQ
>>
>>43598106

At least Raynor got his fucked up redheaded ghost waifu in the end.
>>
>>43598098
And what would that be?
>>
>>43598895
His nerve cords were already severed. That's why he'd been sent to work with the Dark Templar.
>>
>>43598538
I miss Queen Bitch of the Universe.
She was more fun and interesting than good commando gurl waifu
>>
>>43598931
do they grow back? do Dark Templar have to recut them constantly?
>>
>>43599487
but she was evil
>>
>>43599594
Yes, and...?

I still suspect they turned her into weak human waifu to pander to koreans.
>>
>>43599638
personally I don't think she needed to lose her bite for redemption to work, and I think they did it because Metzin became obsessed
>>
>>43599749
You are now realising the reason Jaina turned into a massive racist bitch in recent WoW stuff is because one of the other writers made her say she didn't love Thrall so Metzen turned her into a turbo-bitch
>>
They should've stuck with the original plan to have Kerrigan clones in Heart of the Swarm; have Kerrigan Prime go full Zerg and let Jimmy keep one of the copies.
>>
>>43599594
Good. Evil is interesting.

Fuck misunderstood noble intent.
>>
>>43599813
so what book or movie or whatever did someone at Blizzard read/watch about 10 years ago that made them obsessed with the "actually noble savages" thing?
>>
>>43599813
Evil is boring, all it is, is selfish dickery, there is no nuance to be found
>>
>>43599923
I think they just got hooked on the idea of grey conflicts and found the best way was to make most villains turn out to be misunderstood or under mind control or otherwise have the conflict be between people who aren't evil. Until you need a threat for them to all unite against
>>
File: lich king arthas.jpg (89 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lich king arthas.jpg
89 KB, 1024x768
>>43599961
And then that threat turns out to have been mind controlled/misunderstood/secretly working with best intentions too (but only discovered at the moment of defeat).

Pic related.
>>
>>43599638
As a Korean I can say that we were more waifuing Nova than Kerrigan. She's used goods.
>>
>>43600190
yeah, its a nesting doll of new threats followed by attempt to make sympathetic, Diablo was good at avoiding this, Diablo is the fucking devil, nothing to make sympathetic
>>
>>43600236
well at least korea has some taste
>>
>>43600242
Wonder if they'll pull that shit in this upcoming WoW expansion. Since it's about the Burning Legion again, which is led by the WoW-verse's version of Satan.
Probably not, but they likely will in the sub-plot about the TOTALLY NOT CTHULHUS REALLY they will do
>>
>>43599926
>nuance
are you seriously calling 'craft antagonists nuanced?
>>
>>43599923
Because people ate that shit up for warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 basically expanded the stereotypical aspect of Warcraft 2 and basically gave explanations for Orcs vs Humans and indication of a greater plot with the Legion and undead.

Problem is that they never put on the brakes.

Blizzard forgot that Starcraft's story appeal was that everyone was morally gray because everyone was an asshole, not because everyone was good.
>>
>>43600282
no, I just think evil characters are less interesting
>>
>>43600278
Well, Sargeras already has that going in his origin. He fought demons and basically fell of the path due to the futility of it all.
>>
>>43600283
if everyone is an asshole it's not grey, just black, nobody to give a shit about
>>
>>43600283
Oh, so it's like how Moffat interpreted the reason the fans loved the Who episode "Blink" so much as being because they liked those monsters, not because it was a fucking Master Crafted Episode. So they gave us more episodes of those monsters, ruining their mystique and novelty factor, instead of writing more good episodes.
>>
>>43600331
the irony is that a writer will often have only a shallow understanding of their own greatest works
>>
>>43600329
>nobody gives a shit about assholes
who elected you as king of the universe
>>
>>43600428
but it's true, if some one is just an asshole whats the point? The conflict has no meaning if there is nobody to care about
>>
Lawful Evil

Also if he played 40k he'd play Dark Eldar.
>>
>>43600463
>but it's true
most of the people you care about are also assholes, dude
>>
>>43600482
no they are not, my friends and family are not assholes
>>
>>43597052
Main campaign was decent. Epilogue was the worst yet...
>>
>>43600499
it felt... tacked on, like they forgot to end the greater conflicts for the setting and rushed the epilogue campaign into being
>>
>>43600482
oh you're one of those moral relativist types who thinks goodness is a myth
>>
>>43600420
A lot of creative types do not truly understand why their shit is good. Plenty understand why it's bad (few fix it) and will try to analyze that rather than accentuating the good.

Fanbase are also misleading to developers.
>Kerrigan and Jimmy had romantic feelings, that was so sad that shit went so south
>WE'LL FORCE THE ROMANCE SO HARD DOWN YOUR THROATS

>Kerrigan was the weirdest organism being a perfect zerg hybrid with great powers and leader of the zerg
>WE NEED TO TURN HER INTO THE MOST SPECIAL THING EVER

>Arcturus was a snake in the grass, oh how we hate that guy
>I CAN'T STOP TRYING TO KILL MY SINGLE BATTLECRUISER OWNING REBEL EVEN IF MY SON IS KILLED.
>>
>>43600529

Funny, I thought something similar. Like, they made the campaign, banished Amon, and suddenly realized they forgot to include Kerrigan, the supposed chosen one, in all this.
>>
>>43600628
I would have instead have made a final selection of three campaigns, and each one tells a different ending, mutually exclusive, all bittersweet in their own way, except for the hidden hybrid campaign where you get to be the bad ending
>>
>>43600671
Eh, multiple endings are usually shit unless the story branches out early.
>>
>>43600694
>not liking the plot being linear until literally one scene before the ending where you choose one of 3-4 options
>>
>>43600707
Those kind of writings usually lack a consistent theme since the ending changes every implication that was made before.
>>
>>43600707
commander shepard pls go
>>
Old Blizzard writing (Warcraft 1,2. Diablo 1,2 - Starcraft + Broodwar) wasn't award winning but was at least serviceable.
This new writing shit is embarrassing. Metzen has corrupted it all. It's terrible
I'd rather have a setting in Warcraft 1 back when all orcs were demon worshiping monsters and there wasn't this Orc Jesus and Orc Hitler bullshit - or the whole "everyone was once a robot but cthulu devolved them into fleshy stuff".
Diablo had a tiny bit of story but it was at least interesting. Diablo 3 has all the demon lords come off as Saturday morning cartoon villians.
Watching the starcraft story felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach. It's deviantart grade levels of bad.
Where are the old blizzard guys now? I know some left and made Torchlight 1 and 2. I heard some worked on Guildwars 1 and 2.
Actually who was writing for the old stuff anyway? Was it samwise?
>>
>>43600760
>everyone was once a robot but cthulu devolved them into fleshy stuff

u wot m8?
>>
So is everyone just going to let the Zerg be?
>>
>>43600786

They did nothing wrong, it would be evil to attack them now!
>>
>>43600778
It's in WoW. About half the races turn out to have been corrupted by the "Old Gods" from their original forms of being basically golems. Or branched-off evolutionary paths of the same.
Off the top of my head Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, and the various Elves don't count of the playable races.
>>
>>43600733
the key there is that for this you'd have a whole campaign to align with
>>
>>43600606
no, I'm someone who believes even assholes are capable of good, and can even be compelling
>>
>>43600786
Seems like the perfect opportunity to stomp them.
Terrans and Protoss have both united their races and are in a powerful alliance together. Zerg no longer have the Overmind, Kerrigan or cerebrates, they're just a remnant led by that weak queen Zagara.
Bombing Char and the nearby systems seems like it would be a walk in the park.
>>
File: Attendant_Tock.jpg (46 KB, 459x571) Image search: [Google]
Attendant_Tock.jpg
46 KB, 459x571
>>43600778
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Curse_of_Flesh
>>The curse changed the structure and >>appearance of these races from their original >>stony/metallic forms into the fleshy forms >>we know of today.

Short version from character dialogue.
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Quest:The_Mechagnomes
>>According to Mechazod, it's a condition that >>eventually befalls all creations of the Titans! >>In other words, we all supposedly start out >>as robots of some kind, and, over thousands >>of years, slowly turn into fleshy beings!

>>43600822
Yeah and basically elves evolved from trolls somehow.

>>43600786
>>43600806
According to Heart of the Swarm they were CORRUPTED and the overmind was originally good.
Then something about primal zerg free of evil influence. Something something dragon ball Z powers and ESSENCE.
>>
>>43600822
Draenei as well for the same reason as Orcs. As far as we know.
Someone on the WoW team fucking loves their "lovecraft-inspired" sub-story.
>>
>>43600864

Especially since Kerrigan outright states the attack on Ulnar place wiped out most of her forces. They're as weak as they've ever been.
>>
>>43600760
Diablo depresses me the most. Warcraft/Starcraft always had at least a little of cheesy blizz humor, but Diablo really didn't.
Of course they then filled Diablo 3 to the brim with cheesy one liners.
>>
>>43600760
My personal theory:
>Blizzard makes games in genres where stories take a back seat
>write stories for fluff and to string missions together
>over time, story becomes more and more of a focus for games of all genres
>Blizzard decides to get in on this
>write stories for the sake of having a story
>turns out Blizzard are shit at writing narrative stories
>>
>>43600861
I think this is coming to a disagreement of the term asshole, one thinking it means complete asshole with no redeeming qualities and one who thinks it just means deeply flawed
>>
>>43600891
>elves evolved from trolls somehow.
I think that one's an outright ITS MAGIC I AINT GOTTA EXPLAIN SHIT.
>>
File: 1445382788648.jpg (132 KB, 357x597) Image search: [Google]
1445382788648.jpg
132 KB, 357x597
>>43600898
>they're finally releasing another diablo!
>they're including the demon lords they skipped in 2!
>more of those funky glowtentacle angels!
I can't believe I paid money for it. They will never get another cent from me.
>>
>>43600908
>>43600760
Before WC3, Blizzard thought it was fine for you to play as bad guys. For WC3 and everything after, every single playable faction has to be the good guys. Which means they have to come up with ridiculously contrived reasons for good guys to fight each other, and asspull some stupid ancient evil for them to team up against.
>>
>>43600995

Not really true. Scourge definitely weren't good, and Sylvannas wasn't any better until WoW came along.
>>
>>43601020
They keep changing their mind on Sylvanas actually. Sometimes she's just MISUNDERSTOOD, sometimes she's an outright bitch who wants to turn everyone into Forsakens too.
>>
Is it just me or did they re-retcon the stuff about the Overmind having SECRET PLANS? Really came across to me that not-Tassadar implied he just made that up to make the Protoss do the things he wanted.
>>
>>43601283
it's possible, they probably wanted to leave that part of it ambiguous. Making the thing Not-Tassadar was probably because force ghost Tassadar pissed people off
>>
>>43597402

Damn the new WoW moving is looking hella tight.

How can it look realer than real life?!
>>
>>43601283

Kerrigan was the Overmind's secret plan. Given how improbable it is he could predict the kind of shit that happened, he was probably being mind-raped by not-Tassadar as well as Amon. Poor Overmind. Nothing but the xel'naga's bitch.
>>
>>43600891
>>43600966
Original Well of Eternity changed some trolls into Night Elves.
>>
>>43601283
>>43601322
That's the way I saw it. They knew how mad force ghost Tassadar and secretly good Overmind made everyone.
>>
>>43597231
Blizzard is like watching a WWE match.
A bunch of huge steroid-abusing characters talk about or are talked about how badass they are and on occasion have some great unbelivable cosmic power, but it always comes down to the steroided dudes smacking the shit off of each other with big telegraphed Neanderthal moves in a fight that lasts a third of the time the bragging actually did.

It's not a bad thing mind you; it's just not for everyone.
>>
>>43601382
the real issue isn't strictly the story, its that it was clearly slapped together as they went, if they had planned it out ahead of time and stuck to those plans, it would probably have been better
>>
>>43601322
Yeah this way they can dust that idea off again when they make Starcraft 3 in another 15 years.
Not that they need an excuse to have Zerg villains. Was that one Zerg Broodmother on that protoss cruiser brought up from HOTS again?
>>
>>43601471

Nope. I they mentioned they plan on making more little mini-campaigns, like the Nova one, so she'll probably show up in one of those.
>>
>>43601491
It was such an obvious hook for a side-mission or two I can't believe they wasted it without realising it, so they must be saving it for something yeah.
>>
>>43601563
Although this is Blizzard we're talking about, who regularly get corrected on their own lore by people at Q&As at conventions, on shit like which secondary characters are dead, so...
>>
>>43601587
Knowing the way they work now with WoW stuff, it'll be explained in a spinoff book you can only buy in three places, written by Knaak about how his personal author insert mary sue saved the day.
>>
>>43601738
Don't even joke. I'm still mad about Liberty's Crusade and that was fifteen fucking years ago.
>>
>>43600760
Modern Blizzard is literally just lolcorruption for almost every single villain in their games.
>>
>>43600760

I am kind of torn.

Blizz back in the day was the company known for Bad Ends for good guys. With Metzen at the helm though it felt like they wanted factions to be "likeable".

Given how every fucking game lately have been hammering us with NOGUDGUYS ONLY DIKS VS DIKS. Blizz making the faction we play as more heroic is a shock at best.
>>
>>43601990
I think some one got burnt out on bad endings and just let Metzen have his fun, but now its getting kinda nuts, I mean hell at the end of Brood war I wanted Raynor to catch a break
>>
>>43602006
At least they dragged Metzen away from voicing 50% of the characters?
>>
>>43597052
The main protoss campaign was well above the average set by HotS and WoL. The missions, story and characters were all great, and the only truly bad parts about the protoss campaign were the parts tha referenced the events of HotS and WoL.

Then, faster than I've ever seen, the game takes a nosedive into pants on head retarded with the epilogue, the enemy you spend the entire protoss campaign fighting is defeated, but they follow him into the void, which is a mix of the lava tileset and the shakuras tileset, where they encounter a giant testicle monster who says that in order to destroy amon once and for all, kerrigan (because they fucked themselves plot-wise by having her be the chosen one or whatever) has to merge with testes-mon to become a glowing fiery winged macguffin. Amon gets pissy, and sends a bunch of terrans, zerg, and protoss after you on the planet that you conveniently find in the void. At that point i stopped, turned off SC2 and played brood war while crying into my Boxer throw pillow. I'm still traumatized by that fucking epilogue
>>
GREETINGS MORTALS WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD
>>
>>43597620
You have to fit freedom in there somewhere.
>>
>>43600864
Didn't the epilogue say that everyone went back licking their wounds, EXCEPT for the Zerg, who immediately "forcibly conquered" every planet neighboring Char?
>>
>>43602315
Go away Fat Cthulhu, no one likes you anyway.
>>
A lot of people are saying Artanis is dumb for losing his army on aiur but wouldnt he have lost it still because Amon raped the khala?
>>
>>43594261

You just described Legacy of the Void.
>>
Is it just me, or did they manage between Brood War and The SC2 Trilogy make the Xel'Naga go from "Vague, but basically the Elder Race" to "Kinda-defined, and really interesting." to "Fucking Retarded Fat-Cthulhu's, oh, and all the Xel'Naga that the Zerg and 'Toss killed? Were actually Amon's employees."
>>
>>43603607

You could say the same about almost everything in the Starcraft universe from Brood War to SC2.

I loved the Zerg. Then suddenly PRIMAL ZERG and other nonsense. Kerrigan went from being one of my favourite characters and one of the best video game villains to the worst thing about SC2. Even the Terrans, in terms of Mengk's motivations and actions and the general dynamic between their factions was stupid.

Although I must admit, the Protoss campaign parts actually made me more interested in their lore than ever before. The Tal'darim and purifiers were pretty cool. I think they're the only thing in SC2 that came out ahead or at least even compared to Brood War.
>>
>>43603724

I thought the IDEA of the Primal Zerg was kinda cool...

Biologically immortal super predators that evolve and adapt on the cellular level almost every moment of their either incredibly long or incredibly short lives, oh, and apparently their cells generate more energy during these adaptations and evolutions or even when replacing themselves and each other than they use up.
>>
You know, what?

I'm okay with it. It's a happy ending, and the threads that are left open are at least somewhat interesting.

2015's just been a shitty year, I'm happy something partially good came out of it.
>>
>>43602315
God is terrifying.
>>
>>43598051
Really?! no way
>>
>>43601862
I kinda enjoyed Liberty's Crusade. Much better than, say, Day of the Dragon, anyway.
>>
>>43589944
Probably lawful evil, but maybe lawful neutral, depending on how you look at it. All this assuming the "classic" D&D 3x3 alignment system, of course.
>>
>>43606086
Well when he did leave to form his society he gave all anyone who didn't want in one chance to join the templar
>>
>>43589944
What alignments exist in the setting?
>>
>>43606716
It doesn't have that kind of system. Although if you were being aTVTroper you could probably find personality categories to cram everyone into.
>>
>>43597983
Heart of the swarm made me drop Starcraft with how much of a let down the story was, and how much of an E sport the rest of the game was so this just frees me from coming back.
Sounds like the Kerrigan CHOSSEN ONE fanfic finally went critical.
The secound you have to do an avoidence dance in WoW boss style, you stop being an RTS with a shred of diginity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us_2XxZdGqY
>>
>>43600278
They brought back Ilidan as a class leader, so yes.

Fandom can't even let the dead be without their spunk festering everywhere.

I wish they could atleast leave well enough alone...

>Dat fate of Frostmourne

If you are going to bring up that can of worms, you keep the current failure of an art team away from making a "better" version at all fucking cost.
>>
>>43600236
Korea confirmed for good taste.

>>43589944
Alarak is the ONLY good Character in this fucking game. And he's LE.

God his voice is amazing too.
>>
>>43606881
Eh, Illidan always had that whole "i do what everyone else calls evil acts for the greater good" thing going on.
>>
THE TAL'DAREEM DID NOTHING WRONG

REMOVE INFERIOR LIFE

REMOVE HERETICS

CYKA BLYAT
>>
say the game was the same except without the epilogue, how improved is it?
>>
>>43606927
True.

But my point was even the dead are not safe from being thrown on the block for the fanwank.
>>
>>43606927
sure except the raid he was the boss of in WoW outright said we'd killed him, it was voice acted and everything
and now he's coming back because they're finally adding the most requested class (even though it shouldve just been one of the specs for Warlock)and they needed an "iconic" character NPC to lead that shit
>>
>>43606760
Well, then he has no alignment, given that alignments in D&D have nothing to do with morals or ethics and are simply aspects of the cosmic order which makes up most everything in the setting.
>>
>>43607066
wow when put like that they sound like they make the setting much smaller
>>
>>43606993
very, if they wanted to end the series they would need one more round of full campaigns
>>
>>43597480
>warcraft I - very basic in every respect
>Diablo I - not much of a story, just a premise and a twist. Mission design not varied or interesting. Amazing atmosphere though
>warcraft II - super basic story, very fun mission design
>starcraft & BW
>diablo II - The story was bearable at best and the atmosphere got worse. 'Missions' as I will call the gameplay for terminology consistance were good.
>starcraft & BW - good, often great in all respects
>warcraft III - the first two campaigns are definitely good in both design and story, the latter ones vary in both, but this one is definitely not following the trend
>Diablo III - lel
>SC2 Wol, HotS, LotV -lelest
>>
I like Alarak.
>>
>>43606469
Precisely why I made the argument for LN.
>>43606881
What happened to Frostmourne? I never did much raiding, so I missed a lot of stuff, and I stopped playing after Cata.
>>
Legacy of the Void is out? Was it better than Heart of the Swarm (not that it's a high standard to meet)?
>>
>>43607683
most of it is good but there is a trio of epilogue missions that are fucking god awful in there attempt to cap off the setting
>>
>>43603344
The Protoss are busy rebuilding Aiur, but Valerian leads the Dominion into a golden age, suggesting they'd be able to take on the zerg if they wanted to.
>>
>>43607683
The mission design is top notch but everything about the story infuriates me. Amon is in all regards a rehash of Sargeras, the entire arc of StarCraft II feels dissonant to the original.
>>
Lets just be honest, these last 3 "games" have just been a massive setup for Universe of Starcraft. And i'm kind of OK with that.

And yes I know they've said numerous times they'd never make it.

They also said Diablo 3 would be good.
>>
File: Queen-of-Blades.jpg (973 KB, 4096x1740) Image search: [Google]
Queen-of-Blades.jpg
973 KB, 4096x1740
you wouldn't a queen of blades, would you?
>>
>>43608188
this is /tg/ queen of blades is vanilla to us
>>
File: Queen_SC2_Art3.jpg (170 KB, 748x719) Image search: [Google]
Queen_SC2_Art3.jpg
170 KB, 748x719
>>43608241
This.
>>
>>43589944
He looks like a Warp Spider Exarch
>>
>>43608619
Blizzard has gone all in on appropriating from 40k. I used to defend StarCraft against those kind of accusations but I can't, anymore. The Tal'darim are straight up Dark Eldar; and when you combine that with the Templar and Dark Templar factions, you get the exact same racial dynamic as the Dark Eldar, Craftworld Eldar and Exodite Eldar.
>>
>>43608009
>They also said Diablo 3 would be good.

Oh come on, that's just the standard lie every game producer is guilty of when their games aren't good. Has any studio ever said "yes, this game will be shit?"
>>
>>43608713

Goat Simulator
>>
>>43608704
>40k invented elf splinter factions
Holy shit you kids are delusional
>>
>>43608704
>The Tal'darim are straight up Dark Eldar

What.
>>
>>43608944
You're right. We should be blaming Warcraft.
>>
>>43598137
>>43598099
>Kerrigan becomes Xel'anaga
>Xel'naga are known for being able to make shit
>Kerrigan makes herself a new body
>"Sup Jim, I'm back"
>>
>>43589944
God, I loved him.
I giggled like a little girl over his gravitas.
I think the faceplate of his helm needs to have had some sort of spiral filigree so he truly could have a twirly mustache.

Chaotic nyahaha! For sure
>>
>>43609794
that isa brilliant idea I mean hell the protoss science dude had a beard
>>
Between the UED, the current Tal'Darim, Zagara's command of the zerg, the current situation with the protoss, the Umojans, the Kel-Morians, and the Dominion, the setup of the Starcraft setting is quite a bit more interesting now that they've gotten the ANCIENT EVIL out of the way.
>>
>>43610318
A literal neckbeard of rocks, yeah
>>
>>43610367
Ironically I feel like Starcraft 3 has more potential then 2 now that its back to just the factions trying to figure it out, hell imagine Hybrid Survivors trying to find their place in the universe/continue the dead god's plans
>>
>>43611195
That would be pretty baller, actually.

>Hybrids
Not enough to really be more than a minor faction, but I could probably see at least a few units (and a hero character) slipping neatly into the Protoss or as merc units in some campaign down the line.

>Tal'Darim
I'd love to see a campaign of them, honestly. Interacting with Artanis' protoss with the possibility of civil war looming over their heads, there's plenty of room for political stuff going on.

>UED
Fuck it. Either have them return to the sector as a 100% new faction and make them the new baddies (they were more interesting than any other villain Starcraft has had anyway) or have a fight for Earth's fate become a plotline. DuGalle may not have been the best leadership, but he certainly wasn't the devil himself, proving that there are some decent people in the UED. Gray up humanity again.

>Zerg
They're evil bugmonsters that have lost their morally wishy-washy queen and their infighting cerebrates. Go nuts.
>>
>>43611350
they do have a Queen who is at least practical enough to parlay with other races
>>
>>43611350
I'd like to see a system similar to the protoss campaign units where you can customize your army composition but also in multiplayer, selecting which unit type is in what role slot
>>
>>43611350
Idea, the Tal'Darim end up meeting the second wave of the UED first, too far from the other factions to be in close contact, but very much near Zerus, so you end up with UED, Ta'ldarim and Primal zerg, a sort of spinoff sequel
>>
>>43610367
all that's really changed is knocking off the minor as hell hybrid plotline from brood war and killing off/ruining all the interesting characters they made in the first game
>>
>>43600242
>Diablo was good at avoiding this
well, until D3 at least
>>
>>43611829
did id suddenly give the devil a sympathetic backstory?
>>
>>43611863
Kinda, may NPC is acts as a vessel for Diablo
>>
>>43611863
the devil's host, yeah.

Personally it came off as pretty stupid. Lazarus kidnapping the king's son and sacrificing him? The Warrior stabbing himself in the forehead to try and contain the evil (and failing)? Those are compelling stories.

Being fucking stapled to a spunky female orphan protagonist for the bulk of the game did not endear me to them.
>>
>>43611956
to be fair you always feel bad for the unwilling host, that's normal
>>
>>43612017
Right, but when it's an unwilling but annoying host you're just relieved that you get to kill them now.
>>
>>43612070
that is fair, the scrappy effect
>>
>>43598538

Naked fire angel Kerrigan as Heroes of the Storm skin when though?
>>
>>43601033

Sylvanas had relatively consistent motivations, pre-cata it was to kill the Lich King using Forsaken, fuck everyone else. Then she found out that she was destined to go to hell and it became about using Forsaken and a diminishing reserve of Valkyries to keep herself undead instead of dead. That's also when the forceful expansion of Forsaken started. Knowing she's damned and has nothing to lose also did a number on her last moral restraits.
>>
>>43612286
so basically she's too selfish to care about anyone else's souls
>>
>>43612398

Yeah, though as far as we know no other Warcraft character has felt the particulars of damnation and gotten a chance to come back from it. Probably does a number on your moral compass, knowing there's nothing that can be done to avert it except not die.

Arthas was in the same place and his identity had been reduced into a tortured child.
>>
>>43612451
Although Kael'Thas probably SHOULD have had the chance, but they needed a raid boss instead.

Way to ruin my favourite character ever, Blizzard.
>>
>>43613428
MMO's are bad for story telling unless its a setting made just for it
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.