[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or is looking cool while you are fighting as important,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 13
File: fighting.gif (950 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
fighting.gif
950 KB, 500x349
Is it just me or is looking cool while you are fighting as important, if not more important, than actual fighting ability?
>>
If history has taught me anything; it is Landsknecht.

And if Landsknecht has taught me anything; it is that you are completely correct.
>>
>>43586973
Of course, that's why Genos gets the fanclubs and Saitama gets called Caped Baldy.
>>
There's a reason Anima: Beyond Fantasy has a "Style" skill just for you to look good doing things.
>>
>>43586973
Yes when it comes to to tabletop on most occasions. It's been a long running thing for my pathfinder games and I always advice new players to go for style instead of maximizing their fighting potential. Works 99% of times unless you tacle that 1% TPK encounter where you really need to know when and how to retreat.
>>
It's not just that you look impressive, it's about who you're impressing. Busting out your special attire, or a really good move on a random ass guard in front of a crowd of nobody not only is a waste of effort, but it also cheapens the move the next time you do it against an important NPC. No matter how cool it is, you don't want a "Oh, so you do that thing you always do" from your fellow players or the GM, ESPECIALLY not the GM because if he gets bored with your antics he might decide they won't work the next time.
>>
>>43586973
depends on the game. Some games discourage being flashy and just sticking to what your character can do best, like Vampire the masquerade
>>
>>43588083
That's just because Storyteller as a system is not very good at nuanced combat, every single fight I've had in Vampire or Mage either amounted to a super lethal duel where first blood always wins, or an ugly drunken street brawl where nobody ever really won as much as they survived slightly more than the other guy.
>>
>>43588137
the reason is irrelevant
>>
>>43586973
Actual fighting ability MAKES you look cool. Uther Doul was the most terrifyingly impressive fighter because every move was pared down to its most brutally efficient.
>>
File: 1446688309978.jpg (89 KB, 884x680) Image search: [Google]
1446688309978.jpg
89 KB, 884x680
>>43586973
Style is more important when it comes to fights in pop culture, nobody wants to read about someone who just punches and kicks with no flair or emotion put behind it. Even Saitama is funny when he fights.

>Saitama gets dropped into Terra(40k) what happens?
>>
>>43588601
Saitama gets to apartment shopping, despairs at the high cost of living, stumbles into some monster punches it, saving the earth, rocks gently that he doesn't have a place to live.
>>
>>43586973
This should answer your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PqUKgXusoY
>>
>>43588667
but neither of them look cool.
>>
>>43588601
>>Saitama gets dropped into Terra(40k) what happens?
Since he's alone he punches a stray demon and kills it in one hit. One incredibly strong psyker is impressed and teams up with him to do very high flying action battles with random people/demons. Eventually he gets to the golden throne and accidentally punches the rift below the throne into oblivion because he really wanted a mosquito dead.
>>
>>43588601
I could deal with this.

But the Mecha Milk shirt kills me.

I'd use him too as long as he has girly voice as well.
>>
>>43588667
He's doing it wrong, you gotta go full Nas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JP3bS5_M58

Or, like, half a Genki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0JjBGcTuWc
>>
>>43587057
>There's a reason Anima: Beyond Fantasy has a "Style" skill just for you to look good while failing miserably.
fix'd
>>
>>43589022
Holy fucking shit that first dude.
>>
>>43586973
This is more true where visuals get more important.
Videogames, Movies, Cartoons, Comics.

Altough unless it's a satire like Bunraku, or Kill Bill, fighting efficently also carries some weight. You cannot forsake everything for the sake of visuals.
>>
>>43586973
In Scion that is literally the case.

Of course, you have to gut the system to make it work, but that's part of the fun, right?
>>
>>43589022
>even while losing, I laugh about it and look cool

this is how you win regardless of victory
>>
File: 13438321.jpg (39 KB, 640x475) Image search: [Google]
13438321.jpg
39 KB, 640x475
>>43588601
Jesus Genos.
>>
If we're talking from a purely mechanical standpoint, not really. You could argue that a greater degree of flair may throw your opponents off or encourage others to cheer you on, which would give you an advantage in terms of morale and charisma, but if it comes at the expense of combat ability for the sake of cooler looking attributes, it won't physically help beyond that.

However, beyond that, I could not agree more. Nothing entertains less than a character whose entire combat style is "efficient", their attire is "efficient", their motives are "efficient", and everything else is done for the sake of min/maxing over flair and extravagance. Yes, a particularly nasty snake can kill an adventurer because he bit the adventurer's foot and the venom is thoroughly deadly. It's not going to be as entertaining watching that over a battle between our adventurers and a giant snake in a cave that has no venom, but instead has huge gnashing fangs and belches out clouds of noxious fumes. The same applies to heroes. Very few will root for the guy wearing nothing but a hauberk and chainmail plating and a kettle helm because "It was cost-effective and protects my body enough that a normal human could blah blah blah". Everybody always wants to see the man wearing a seven-foot red headband that flows in the wind as he cleaves his opponents in half and garners legendary status for possessing "A crimson band around his head that seems to only extend with each drop of blood he spills".
>>
>>43589166
>>43587057
>Not min-maxing to be a murderking
>Wanting to look good
FOLLOWERS OF THE BERYLS OUT.
OOOUUUUT.
>>
>>43589198
Full disclosure: Naseem did eventually get completely shrekt by an all business all the time type boxer after growing lazy and slow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ISwivnhMpI

Meanwhile Genki Sudo went from spinning back punches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO8tMzHubgs

To... dancing in public spaces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlK5abIJRyM
>>
>>43589553
.....I am very dissapointed to see that.....WTF happened? That didn't even look like the same guy anymore. No confidence in the moves. Much slower reactions. Just slower everything in general.
Did he get into drugs or something?
>>
>>43589488
>Being a dull psychopath and murdering everything.
>Not leading everyone to emptiness and apathy through the best sex they'll ever have.
>989
Unimaginative Zemial follower detected.
>>
>>43588601
Emps is saved, Chaos and everything else is dead. Sooner or later.
>>
>>43589600
He got too good for his own good, basically. Stopped taking his training seriously.
The week leading up to that fight he was partying in a hotel suite with a private jacuzzi while his opponent was running up and down a nearby mountain.
>>
>>43589022
As a boxer I've always admired Naseem's ability. He has incredible strength and footwork and knows how to put on a show for the crowd.

Not to mention that his performance is backed up with a strong open offensive style that makes great use of his shifting footwork and flexibility to dodge punches but get a large amount of energy very quickly from body rotation that a defensive boxer simply cannot do. Makes his jabs far more threatening than one would expect and when he steps in from one of his wider stances there is a lot of extra power behind that movement.
>>
>>43589022
That shit only really works in a sporting enviroment like boxing or MMA where blows to the back of the head are prohibited, in a real fight the enemy wouldn't hesitate no matter how confused they are.
>>
>>43587014
Landsknecht are not the best example though, cuz outside the colorfulness of their clothing/armor, it was good clothing/armor, and their formations were about maximizing fighting ability not to look cool.

>>43589022
Combat sports and real fighting are very different.
>>
Of course, what's the point of being a badass if you can't do it with style?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPPLrePwBU
>7:21
>>
File: 134746859.png (41 KB, 232x447) Image search: [Google]
134746859.png
41 KB, 232x447
>>43586973
>>
File: 1457568.png (845 KB, 1593x5000) Image search: [Google]
1457568.png
845 KB, 1593x5000
>>43588601
Saitama is basically Power-man, soooo...
>>
>>43590610
The only thing Saitama can't do is make /v/ like vidya. Truly, Power Man will never be defeated.
>>
>>43590626
That is until platinum acquires the rights to a OPM game.
>>
File: 1446605504924.png (509 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
1446605504924.png
509 KB, 860x1236
>>43588601
>>
>>43586973
To be honest, I'd rather be Genos than Saitama. At least he knows what the thrill of a fight feels like.

But if I had the choice between him and Sonic, I'd go with Sonic, because I like him better!
>>
>>43591194
To be honest, I'd rather be Saitama than Genos. I mean, what kind of psycho wants to enjoy killing people and being a robot. At least Saitama knows what the thrill of a good vegetables sale feels like.
>>
File: One Salt Man.jpg (199 KB, 515x810) Image search: [Google]
One Salt Man.jpg
199 KB, 515x810
>>43590626
Anon, I don't know how to tell you this, but Saitama IS /v/.
>>
File: 6RJayWb[1].png (48 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
6RJayWb[1].png
48 KB, 500x351
>All these scrubs who think Saitama doesn't have style
He has the best hoodie that has ever existed, prove me fucking wrong.
>>
>>43589553
>perfectly synchronized japanese businessmen.

This is the superhero group I can believe in.
>>
>>43591294
I kind of wish I had a hoodie like that.
>>
>>43589629
Wow, so all those feelgood sports movies WERE right.
>>
>>43591641
Just go on Redbubble and search One Punch Man.
>>
>>43591251
For all his absurd reaction times, Saitam still loses to King. King alone can say without lying that he has won again Saitama consistently. Truly, he is the greatest of Heroes.
>>
>>43590661
You know, i actually thought that sonic was a woman the first time he was introduced, actually all the way up until he was fighting naked i did.
>>
File: tumblr_n1b4xeSYTo1toamj8o1_400.gif (897 KB, 320x216) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1b4xeSYTo1toamj8o1_400.gif
897 KB, 320x216
>>43586973
Not always
>>
>>43595692

I'd rather watch prequel lightsaber twirling than the horrible fight choreography of New Hope.
>>
>>43596048

The production team felt the same way, which is why they had Bob Anderson--the master swordsman whose trained the actors in just about every movie with swords in it from the past fifty years--wear the Vader costume for the fight scenes in Empire and Return of the Jedi.

Those actually felt like real fight scenes, and were a huge improvement over the two guys swinging sticks around in the first movie and were much more elegant and engaging than the vidya-tier spectacles of the prequels.
>>
>>43595587
I'm sure the authors had a lot of fun with making his body as androgynous as possible and then putting him in the flashiest poses possibles.
he'll always be my waifu
>>
>>43590661
>actually female Sonic somehow less feminine and attractive than dude Sonic

/tg/ what have you done to me
>>
>>43595692
But this is an actual swordfighting move IRL, ain't it?
>>
>>43596524

You can also explain it as since anakin and obiwan both use forms of lightsaber combat that aren't melee only (like Duku's form 2 combat meant for lightsaber vs. lightsaber), they are going to sometimes have the occasional flourish meant to deflect blaster bolts. I know Obiwan uses form 3, which is the most defensive form of lightsaber, so he's definitely going to have a lot of guard and parry moves that he may throw in out of muscle memory.
>>
>>43596402

It's because she's wearing an unflattering costume that only shows mild cleavage and some curves, and her hair got cut. meanwhile, sonic has that foxy ponytail going on and has that trap/androgynous/questionable gender erotic taboo going on.

Same reason a really sexy trap is going to be hotter than a really ugly female.
>>
>>43596877
>>43596524
I thought the alleged reason for that sillyness was because of their Force fuckery they both could see a couple seconds into the future and were shifting their swords around to try to get an advantage on each other
>>
>>43586973
It's just you. And people with Downs. And all of Japan.
>>
Only in a OPM style game/universe where being flashy will get you more support than being a bit stronger or tougher.
>>
>>43596048
nigga it's grandad vs robocop, whaddya want? The original trilogy fights were good because of what they meant, not cg midgets flipping all over the place. When lightsabers came out, it was a Big Deal, not a glowstick rave to fill screentime.
>>
>>43595692
hey.
That doesn't look cool.
>>
>>43597639
Go do an actual longform review, Plinkett
>>
>>43599407
Can't. gotta mail out all those pizza rolls.
>>
>>43589022
Jesus christ, that first guy is basically a Punch-Out character.
>>
>>43590610

I still call bs on that comic, getting /v/ just no, wont ever happen.
>>
>>43589553
"It's hard to wrap your head around Genki Sudo. He spent most of his fights grinning, dancing, or checking to see if Bruce Lee moves actually worked. Then he retired to start a robot techno band and write free-spirit books like Let's Be, Cat! He started his fights by leading a parade of costumed dancers to the ring and ended them by holding up a friendship flag. My point is, he behaves strangely for a man who kicks people for a living. It's suspiciously like he and Zooey Deschanel just got done coveting each other's lives while holding the same magical amulet. Is she maybe in an adult dodgeball league somewhere, screaming in Japanese and elbowing a man in the neck?"
>>
>>43599695
>>43589553
>perfectly synchronized businessman boxing
I never knew how badly I wanted this until now.
>>
>>43590610
there needs to be a panel where power man beats saitama at videogames using the infinite combo.
>>
File: The_Kurgan_6.png (239 KB, 622x344) Image search: [Google]
The_Kurgan_6.png
239 KB, 622x344
>>43589553

better to burn out than to fade away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FC4M3j6aDo
>>
>>43588601
He lives normally. Since there aren't rampaging monsters on Terra at this point, his fighting ability is irrelevant.

If he wound up in underhive areas, he might be something like the secret banchou of Mob 100, in that people try to use him to their advantage.
>>
>>43595692
I will never not laugh at that gif.
>>
>>43588601
What about Tatsumaki?
>>
>>43588703
But one of them thinks he does.
>>
>>43602656
that's where he fails.
It's not whether YOU think you look cool.
It's whether the girls watching think you look cool.
>>
>all this fighting
Remember that the best is to be hardcore as fuck. All other style pales in the face of actual badassery.

https://youtu.be/BSdMiVV_fnQ
>>
>>43602787
hot damn, the production values on that are atrocious.
>>
>>43602852
Who needs production values when you have electrified barbed wire?
>>
>>43602872
I just mean the production values are too low for me to actually tell who is supposed to be hype.

Was the champion the heel? I don't even know.
>>
>>43602915
Sir, I have some bad news. You have been so poisoned by WWE that it now renders you unable to enjoy a fight that isn't staged.
>>
>>43602951
>japanese costumed lucha
>not staged

Bruh you're in too deep.
>>
>Is it just me or is looking cool while you are fighting as important, if not more important, than actual fighting ability?

It is, but there's one important caveat to that you must always remember

You're only going to look cool while you're winning. Trying to look cool while you're getting your shit slapped just makes you look like a tryhard. If you wanna look cool, you gotta git gud.
>>
>>43595692
Spinning's a good trick
>>
>>43591233
Iif you think about it, Saitama is a psychopath just like Sonic.

After all, he doesn't have any friends he cares about. If he had those he would experience fear, fear of losing them. But he keeps being empty inside.
>>
>>43603523
He's not off the deep end yet, the whole reason nobody respects him is because he took the heat for Licenseless Rider when people started to think he was lame.

Besides, I don't think he's ever actually seen any of his friends in danger? Usually he's busy fighting the Big Bad somewhere offscreen while they're all in mortal peril.
>>
>>43603523
He's friends with Genos, he just knows that Genos can get his shit rekt without actually dying due to the whole having his vital organs replaced with robot bits thing.
>>
>>43586973
Style at the expense of function is literally the most retarded thing for me. It's why the new star wars movie fights were shit and obvious flash.

I would love if someone was doing crazy gymnastic Kung fu and the other guy just punches him in the throat or just grabs him and strangles him to death.

Combat is romanticized enough, I like it when morons are humbled by common sense and practical martial arts.
>>
>>43603570
>that one time with the colossal titan man who killed thousands
>that one time he took ages to find the sea King and people survived only because of plot

If it was more grim, there should've been way more deaths going on.
>>
>>43603523
>After all, he doesn't have any friends he cares about.
He's friends with Genos, kungfu master guy and King.
Two of those are S Class that wouldn't just die so easily to most things.
King is very killable but he manages to pull through.
>>
>>43586973
Solid advice in all things, at all points in life:
80% of everything is acting.
>>
watch how ronda rousey fights. it looks kind of silly, right?

notice how she doesn't lose, and the fight is very rarely a combined time of over a minute.

low-key utilitarian destruction.
>>
>>43596951
>>43596877
The justification I always hear is that lightsabers act like gyroscopes and build up crazy amounts of momentum.
>>
>>43603591
He didn't know that when mosquito girl was tearing him up, apparently.
>>
>>43604047
This is before they were friends.
>>
>>43604056
He still doesn't give a fuck. When Genos and Sonic where about to kill each other, he stepped in only because he didn't want his house vaporized. He cares about doing the right thing because he protected Blizzard-chick, but he doesn't feel fear or anything if his pals are in danger.
>>
>>43604090
Were*
>>
>>43604090
He isn't babying Genos, so he lets him do the thing.

Like I said, he doesn't worry too much because Genos is an S-Class hero after all.
>>
>>43604105
If he cared, then we would know it. At the start he said that he didn't like being that strong because it made everything boring. Nothing changed from the start 'till now.
>>
>>43604090
>Genos and Sonic where about to kill each other, he stepped in only because he didn't want his house vaporized.

his friend and his acquaintance were being idiots and he didn't really want any part of it.
"trying to kill eachother" doesn't mean a whole lot for nigh-unkillable animes.

It's like that bit in Keychain of Creation where two exalts had a minor argument but were punching eachother through trees.
>>
>>43604135
Except for the bit that they were really going all out, but that's apparently not important right?
>>
>>43604142
They were really going all out at being foolish and he stopped it before it got out of hand.
>>
It's incredible how One-Punch Man attracts autists like moths to a flame. It's almost like a worse Kill la Kill.
It might have something to do with its self-absorbed focus on its "original" gimmick, its overdone referential/in-joke humor and its Mary Sue pseudo-self-insert protagonist. In any case, it seems to attract absolute autists who get their ego stroked from watching yet another rehashed chop-socky series with a few cheap gimmicks tacked on, because it makes them feel cool to watch a "deconstruction" (in name only) and to be able to laugh along to the lowest-common-denominator references.
>>
>>43604148
Not because he cared for them though, but because he didn't want his house destroyed.
>>
>>43604151
He's a typical Japanese male, ya dingus.
He is culturally obligated to be somewhat blasé not unlike the straight-man in comedy duos.
You can't take shit like that literally, or do you honestly believe every tough guy in anime actually hallucinates that it is raining during dramatic moments?
>>
>>43588601

He becomes the hero that the Imperium needs, but doesn't deserve.
>>
>>43604151
He probably didn't want them to die either. The fact that that's what he was worried about was likely because that's what he considered a realistic possibility.
>>
>>43604178
>>43604170
>>43604151
Great, now I'm thinking about a tsundere Saitama that goes "I didn't save you because I cared for you or anything!"

Thanks guys!
>>
>>43604170
>culturally obligated
Do you really know anything about Japan except for what you've seen in this one series? You sound like it's your first anime and you're already proclaiming yourself a cultural expert.
If anything, you should be able to compare it to other series and see that Saitama's behavior here is out of proportion to his "cultural obligation".
It's officially my main theory, then. Saitama is a self-insert protagonist, because it's the only way that people can get so ridiculously caught up in trying to spin his character into being either a perfect "nice guy" or a "cool, antisocial anti-hero". This conversation is utterly pitiful.
>>
>>43604196
>either a perfect "nice guy" or a "cool, antisocial anti-hero"

He's neither of these things and I make no claim otherwise.
You can keep repeating "he's a psycho" to yourself over and over until you believe it to be true, but you can't just go stuffing words into other people's mouths until they agree with you.
>>
>>43604208
Fun fact: I'm neither of the people in the argument. I don't even watch the series, but I get flooded with it from the rest of the Internet.
If you didn't notice, I was insulting both of you.
>>
>>43604216
>if i just pretend to be someone else maybe i can ignore that i was dumb

okay.
>>
>>43604170

Nah, 1-P Man is more assertive than your average Japanese male, and he'd probably be considered quite subordinate by their standards. He knows when he has a situation under control and sees no need to be tense about it, probably because he's already seen it all.
>>
File: here.png (71 KB, 1334x622) Image search: [Google]
here.png
71 KB, 1334x622
>>43604226
Jesus fucking Christ. It's fucking amazing. I really am another guy, and here's a screenshot to prove it. Hopefully, I'll reply quickly enough that you won't accuse me of shooping it.
>>
>>43586973
I hope you're not talking about actual fighting.
>>
>>43588530
Also his sword was a magic vibrator.
>>
>>43604216
>watch the series
Me neither. The webcomic is the best version of it.

>>43604226
He didn't put anything in the name field, did he?
>>
File: 1446688460050.png (246 KB, 600x627) Image search: [Google]
1446688460050.png
246 KB, 600x627
>>43602632
Friendzoned so hard he doesn't even claim to be a friend.
>>
>>43589022
Genki is the best, even his music is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35hCo_grAqw
>>
>>43604226
Here's a tip for you: just hide the post of the haters.

Replying to them gives them power, power you should deny thim. Not give them.

>>43588530
I don't agree with this assessment: sometimes you're cool when you're fighting.

Most of the time you're cool because you've WON a fight.
>>
>>43604487
Wrong sister.
>>
>>43605968
Considering that sister is actively trying to kill him, I thought it was Fubuki he was referring to and used the wrong name.
>>
>>43606121
>>43605968
>>43602632
bato.to/comic/_/comics/onepunch-man-gaiden-tatsumaki-no-koto-doujinshi-r15137
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.