[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
House rules
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 236x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 236x328
What are your house rules in your games?
>>
>>43583612
>40K RPGs
Wounds on the head location are limited to your modified Toughness Bonus.
Wear a helmet.
>>
>Pathfinder
Use the spells and magic rules from 5e, including multiclassing rules.
>>
>>43583612
Free tax-feats at each odd level except first.
>>
>>43583631
Called shots to the head every shot.
Can kill space marines with ease with just a -20 to the roll. Just need a basic weapon with the accurate quality and spending an action aim. Bam dead.
>>
>Pathfinder
Fighters add their level to melee weapon damage and add half their level to thrown weapon damage of any weapon they're proficient with.
>>
>>43583612

Narrate your social skill checks. I'm not asking for an Oscar performance. It's enough just to broadly describe what you're saying. That way I know where to set the DC for the check.

That extends to things like gather information too. I'm looser here - players can just roll for it, but if they talk about specific contacts or methods then I'll adjust the DC accordingly (sometimes upwards if their idea is retarded).
>>
>>43583612
You can make any one roll a crit or null one crit fail if you pay for the food
>>
>>43583658
>Bam dead.
Still 16 points of soak and 8 wounds to get through before you get to the critical effects, and even then you've got the True Grit talent to deal with most of the time.

So to kill a Space Marine even with a headshot, you still need to be able to deal 38 wounds (8 from Toughness, 8 from Armour, 8 to get rid of his wounds, 14 to kill with an Explosive hit to the head).

That's beyond the maximum damage of most Accurate weaponry. The Solo Pattern Boltgun can only just manage it, and that takes some VERY lucky rolling.
>>
>>43583799
>8 from Armour
But don't some space marines forgo the helmet?
>>
>>43583612
> Brigada Ligeira Estelar/Star Light Brigade
You can't spend xp to get auto-crits.

>Pathfinder
Fighters add their level to damage. Weapon Focus allows them to bypass rd with half their level. (Like, a Fighter 20 will ignore 10 RD)
>>
>>43583854
In which case it's still 30.
However those Space Marines are likely "important" characters and will have additional protections beyond the normal ones that your generic Tactical Marine will have.
>>
Rule #1: You're in character when talking to an NPC. Period. No third-person shit.

Rule #2: All skill check rolls for mental skills are rolled blind. Which means you can initiate them, but you don't ever see the result. You get the information, and it's up to you to decide what that means. You need to decide if you didn't find a trap on that door because there really isn't one, or because you rolled a 1 on your Perception.

Rule #3: Roleplay before roll. You don't decide what skill is being used to influence or perform until AFTER you've actually explained or acted out what you intend to say or do. No roleplay, no roll.

That's mostly it.
>>
>>43583948
>Rule #2: All skill check rolls for mental skills are rolled blind. Which means you can initiate them, but you don't ever see the result. You get the information, and it's up to you to decide what that means. You need to decide if you didn't find a trap on that door because there really isn't one, or because you rolled a 1 on your Perception.

I really liked that one
>>
>>43583612
Everybody lies
>>
>>43583959
Use it. It makes a lot of things better.

Nothing annoys me more than players scrambling for the party to make up for that low Perception roll someone made, or having a player half-assedly pretend their character has no clue there's a trap ahead, when they actually do because they are aware they got a Nat 1.

Instead, ask them to describe their actions in detail (Where are you checking? How are you examining? What are you looking for specifically?) and if you decide a check is necessary, you ask for their modifier and roll it yourself behind the screen, and tell them what they know based on the roll, but not how well they did.

Also remember: Players do not choose when to roll skills. Ever. Players roleplay, and the DM asks for skill checks when necessary, but don't ever let a player demand a skill check, or worse, just roll something and declare the result and ask what happens.
>>
>>43583612
1. It's never lupus.
>>
>>43584052
Except when it is.
>>
>>43584048
>Also remember: Players do not choose when to roll skills. Ever.

This is only partially true.
It is correct to assume that the player does not choose to roll his skill check, but you make it sound as if they don't know when will it happen, because by the rules, you must roll a skill check if there is a chance to fail it.

So, a player can avoid having to roll by not putting himself in a situation in wich he could fail it, and consciously doing so if they think they can pass it.
>>
>>43583612
My group plays 5e. The only house rule that we use that I like is a rule that allows for an extra attack action in place of a move action. This allows for faster combat without breaking the game.

One of my players constantly is pushing this auto crit / critical point rule that would basically allow the party (Mostly him since any rule he suggests he always exploits) to kill all the enemies by aiming for the head and then justifying why their measly 10 damage ax swing should kill any enemy despite their HP and other endurance features. The group hates the guy who has been suggesting it and we plan to kick him out at the end of the month.
>>
>>43583948
>Rule #1: You're in character when talking to an NPC. Period. No third-person shit.
How about *cough cough* "pass me some water please"
Does that run afoul of your rule?
>>
>>43584114
But in that case, nobody is going to mention that It may be lupus.
>>
Monks don't have to roll for bonus attacks made with Martial Artist.
>>
In my group of friends, one of our house rules is that if you are directly responsible for the death of the entire party, your next character must be a fighter, because nobody has ever directly killed another PC while playing fighter.

This has come up more times than any of us care to admit.
>>
>>43583612
I experimented with "hyperlethal combat" in Only War. Any instance of a d10 on the damage table becomes a d5+5.

Lasgun's d10+3 becomes d5+8
Lascannon's 5d10+10 becomes 5d5+35
Grenades don't do 2d10, they do 2d5+10

I was getting tired of people getting shot in the face and shrugging it off. It was fun, it made enemies rightly dangerous while also buffing the players. I had a boss fight that was just a dude in carapace carrying a heavy stubber at the end of a long hallway, and it was suitably cinematic. Rather than tanking one round of his shooting so they could dogpile him, they actually had to plan around NOT getting shot.
>>
>>43584196
I had a similar mechanic for a while. If you kill another player, BOTH players lose a number of fate points equal to the lower of the two characters. Yes, this means if you kill someone with less fate they stay dead. If you kill someone with more fate you lose all of your fate, which sucks because the party probably considers you expendable now.
>>
Diplomacy isn't a skill that grows with how many monsters you've stabbed. That's fucking retarded. A level 4 aristocrat or whatever is literally not allowed to be stubborn and must do whatever a level 18 commoner says? Cram it up your ass.

It's a Charisma check modified by a Cooperativeness stat from both sides which you pick at character creation (and can change slowly if you want). Someone with a high Cooperativeness can persuade other people easier but can be persuaded himself easier too.
>>
1. Jew Class is canon, if the system doesn't have one, we will implement one.
2. FATE games are not a privilege, they're a punishment
>>
>>43583653
Hmmm....I need more details, this sounds interesting...
>>
>>43583612
At the first opportunity, have the players enter an Inn.

>They see in the corner a young man in studded leather chatting animatedly with an older woman in heavy armour.
>An old man wearing a ragged cloak over equally ragged clothes nurses a cooling cup of coffee while watching their antics, stirring in a spoonful of sugar after a exploratory taste.
>A man with dark skin pays for his meal with several unfamiliar coins, before brushing past the party. He wears a vest made of soft leather over a loose cotton shirt, a short sword in its sheath across his back, held by a series of leather straps and small metal rungs.
>A young girl greets you animatedly, and asks if any of you were interested in buying some of the potato and rabbit stew that is currently cooking, or if they'd like rooms for the night.

If a player raises a complaint about any part of the description without a valid explanation other than "Muh Versilmitude" or "That didn't exist in medieval Europe", I quietly make a note to myself disinviting them to future sessions.

It is a spectacularly effective form of That Guy prevention.
>>
None.

No need, when you run a system you've developed yourself. If a rule doesn't work out it just gets changed for the next release.
>>
>>43584221
Your rule makes no sense too.

Someone who is good at persuading people can be just as stubborn as anyone else, and maybe they only want to do things their way, which is why they learned to persuade people in the first place.

Bad rule man.
>>
>>43584370
I don't get it.
>>
>>43583959
Really wish I had started this with my current group, will 100% do it in the future.
>>
>>43583722
this can be a double edged sword,

not all "bard" players are 18+ charisma in real life but still want to play a silver tongued devil
>>
>>43584410
Not him, but sugar, potatoes, Coffee, female knights, and black guys were not around in medieval europe. So anyone who complains about "anachronisms" is a dick and should be avoided
>>
>>43584410
That anon is just autistic, don't pay him any mind
>>
File: image3937[2].jpg (46 KB, 350x664) Image search: [Google]
image3937[2].jpg
46 KB, 350x664
>>43584462
>black guys were not around in medieval europe
Nigga you what?
>>
File: tudor tapestry.jpg (49 KB, 440x301) Image search: [Google]
tudor tapestry.jpg
49 KB, 440x301
>>43584462
>black guys were not around in medieval europe
>>
>>43584487
fuck if I know, I'm in political science, we don't give a fuck about history before 1945, 1900 if you're lucky.
>>
>>43584370
All of these but the coffee and sugar would fly with me, unless it was a wealthy ass inn
>>
>>43584462
You missed studded leather, coffee, cotton, sword on the guys back, from a cursory glance.
>>
>>43584537
Eh, it wouldn't be TOO out there for someone who's aggressively foregin to be wearing cotton if they're wealthy enough
>>
>>43584370
Why don't we, the party of adventurers, recognize those coins if the Inn still accepts them?
>>
>>43584370
>I'm so paranoid about That Guys that I have crafted a specific scenario to sniff them out and passive-aggressively omit them from future games
That DM detected
>>
>>43584370
>>43584572
But then, I'm intentionally nitpicking and would have no problem with this in a game
>>
>>43584370
>if players raise questions about shit that doesn't make sense in my games, I don't let them play again

Massive That DM. You couldn't disinvite me - I'd quit.
>>
>>43584572
If the Inn is in a town that sees a bunch of travel, then it's possible that the Innkeeper would recognize and accept foreign currencies that are otherwise rare and unlikely to be seen by random adventurers.

Of course, that would require the Innkeep to be knowledgeable and confident in the purity of the coins to know what the correct exchange rate should be.
>>
>>43583948
We have a similar house rule. It's called "Don't ever ask the DM if you should make rolls, because if he lets you get away with it then that's one less chance you could have failed.
>>
>>43584672
Anon, why are you pretending to be me and blatantly shitposting while doing so?

I'm aware that some players would view attempts to preemptively identify bad players as being too aggressive or overreacting, but I've had games ruined by the actions of individual players, and the lack of similar events occurring since I began this "rule" has vindicated me.
>>
>>43584457
He's not asking them to be a silver-tongued devil, he's asking them to make a good attempt at it. This is a rule my group runs with. if you say "I don't really know how to phrase this, but my character would" and then you do your best to say it, the DM should count that as having RPed it properly. Sometimes you have a brain fart, but at least you have to try.
>>
File: getrektfgt.jpg (497 KB, 747x1328) Image search: [Google]
getrektfgt.jpg
497 KB, 747x1328
>>43584672
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (26 KB, 289x127) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
26 KB, 289x127
NO FUCKING WARPERS
>>
>>43583612
>Rule 0: DM Trumps Rules.
Sometimes the DM might do something he feels will make a better narrative story (yeah, forgot that the DM's also a story teller didn't you?) that will fall outside the rules or an enemy might exhibit behavior that appears on the surface to be outside the rules. The DM is the ultimate arbiter of what is "fair" and what isn't. Don't like it, find another game.

>Rule 00: Put Yourself In The DM's Shoes.
If you think you would have concerns or objections to something if you were the DM, then you probably shouldn't do it. At a minimum run it by your DM first.

>Ties go to defender
My gaming group uses this in almost every game we run.
>>
>>43584142
I handle called shits as follows: if your attack deals 1/8 of their current HP or less, no effect. If it's more than 1/8 but no more than 1/4, they get some reasonable penalty for a round: -5 speed, -1 to hit, etc. If it's more than 1/4 but no more than 1/2, the effect lasts until healed. If it's more than 1/2 but doesn't cause them to hit 0, they get a more major penalty - half speed, count as blind, etc. If they hit 0, the part is destroyed.

Fuck bypassing HP with called shots.
>>
>>43584370
I like this one. In an elfgame about wizards, dragons, and wizard-dragons, I don't give a hot gay fuck about potatoes and medieval Europe. This isn't medieval Europe.
>>
Roll dice first, then roleplay out the result.

I've come to notice that going roleplay first tends to make players always try to play their characters in a way that's the most optimal. Everything will be worded or described in a way to get the best result. Going dice first removes a lot of arbitrary DM interaction and gives the players a chance to have fun and be creative with their failures.
>>
File: 450px-Shadow_the_fomo.jpg (55 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
450px-Shadow_the_fomo.jpg
55 KB, 450x600
I'm gonna get flak for this, but I generally enforce weapons restrictions like open carry, licensing, and assault weapons bans in my Stars Without Number games. I play at a family-friendly FLGS, and I don't want pic related running amok.

Walking like a space-mall ninja with a mag rifle is small fine-worthy. You want to have a 2d8 save-or-die sniper rifle? Either save up for a carrying case, or save up for a ticket. Plasma-grenade launchers are confiscation bait. To compensate, I statted up mostly-legal weapons like semi-automatic carbines and pump-action shotguns so the players have something between "fudd trash" and "atomic death-ray submachine gun" (SWN sucks in that respect).

Of course, outside civilization or at a private game, all bets are off. They can keep a suitcase nuke in their gravRV's trunk for all I care, just so long as they don't use it or have it visible within city limits or around kids.
>>
Beverage on the game table owes a 6pack
>>
>>43585137
I hope to god you insist on coasters too.
>>
>>43585117
I think that's reasonable. I have similar restrictions, although it's less "pay a fine" and more "look suspicious as fuck" given that it's 40k. Everyone has a gun, but the guy with the man-portable heavy weapon is gonna get some attention.
>>
>>43585117
>>
>creating an entire homebrew system
>it's the most autistic thing ever
>stat love
>stat debilitating addiction
>stat SIN
>>
>>43583683
I like this
>>
>>43583683
That's like the only thing fighters don't need to do better. Their damage is fine, it's everything else that's shit.
>>
>>43585117
Reminds me of my Star Wars RPG Saga Edition game where I actually enforced weapons license rules. It forced everyone to diversify their loadouts for missions in cities and other populated, civilized areas and to keep track of what was concealable and what wasn't, and it meant the player who took the feats for modding weapons was extremely useful in beefing up their limited firepower.
>>
you can't seduce another players character into having sex with you if they aren't cool with it, even if you did make your persuasion check.
>>
>>43584793
Uh, why didn't you just take a screenshot?
>>
>>43585242
I love systems that are just complex mechanics stacked on top of complex mechanics. one of my current groups is having me run savage worlds and I hate it.
>>
>>43585324
Probably to prevent people from saying that he edited it, even though he could have edited the screenshot and then took a phone picture
>>
File: 1446139428356.jpg (128 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
1446139428356.jpg
128 KB, 800x650
>>43585318
Holy shit, you actually require CONSENT? What kind of monster are you?!
>>
File: worst gm, or best gm.png (267 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
worst gm, or best gm.png
267 KB, 800x500
>>43583612
The rules are simple. You do what I ask, and you get compensated for it. I like to think you have enough sense to do the right thing. The rewards for doing so are immense... as are the punishments for not doing so.
>>
>>43583959
>>43584048
>>43584438
This gets completely fucked up by abilities that let you choose to add bonuses to skills on a limited basis.
>>
>>43585242
SIN?
>>
File: run run run.jpg (536 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
run run run.jpg
536 KB, 1920x1200
>>43583612
>Turn timers are used during all combat. Each charater's turn time is based on a weighted combination of INT, DEX, and WIS (or whatever their equivalents are in the system). Failing to get your action conveyed within the time limit results in your character repeating their last action. Getting your action in significantly early can result in a move, initiative, or to-hit bonus.

We've a few more, but that's the big one. We all swear by it, even when it sucks for us players, since it makes combat feel hectic and challenging instead of just being a sort of puzzle.
>>
Example is for D&D, but could easily be applied to anything.
We have a few house rules, like token XP and shared XP totals, but the most innovative is... story travel!

Story travel works as such:
1. Nobody writes a backstory. Nobody wants to read your shit, and in-character, there's no reason your fellow PCs should know it, unless you guys go way back.
2. During overland travel, the DM skips out on any random encounters which he thinks are boring. When there are no events of any concern, players take turns telling in-character stories to fluff out their characters. One story per hex (so old school it hurts). No spotlight hogging.
3. Players are then rewarded with sweet, sweet XP, or drama points, or something.

Aside from being believable, because it's not like a ragtag band of 3-5 misfits is going to remain completely silent for multiple days, it lends to some fantastic character development and gives the DM some opportunities to write characters into the plot.
>>
>>43585678
From the thumbnail, I was completely expecting to see jellybeans falling out of his pockets.
>>
>>43585693
>1. Nobody writes a backstory

Any backstories or personality traits I write for my characters are short and point-form so I can fill in the blanks as I go. Fuck people who write these gigantic-ass multi-page stories. That's just masturbation. Here's the "backstory" for my previous character, in its entirety:
>disgraced noble; banished from home
>has stolen heirlooms
>out for revenge against brother
That's it. That's all you need.
>>
>>43585726
This.
>>
>>43584572
That question being raised could help flesh out a setting...
>>
>>43585726
"Is this the most interesting part of this person's life? If not, why aren't we playing that?" - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.
>>
>>43583948
Rule 1 is horrible. I suspect rule three suffers from the same myopic garbage that makes people think stuff like rule one is a great idea, but I like 2 and 3 as stated.
>>
>>43585117
This is something I enjoy about Shadowrun as it can keep PCs more aware of their character's public appearance and prevents the game from going full pink mohawk most of the time.
>>
>>43585671
Source?
>>
>>43585892
No clue, Chummer.
>>
>>43585726
>>43585802
These are dead-on for good backstory. Laying down the bare bones and fleshing them out as the story progresses is much more interesting and leads to better RP.
>>
>>43585908
Damn. Still curious... If any other anon knows the source I would greatly appreciate you cluing me in since this is what I imagine happening to my mage in SR if anyone ever finds out he is SINless.
>>
>>43584370
Half way through, my ruse alarm would ring loud and terrible.
I'd probably step out of the campaign after confronting you about the nature of this rehearsed spiel, disgusted at not necessarily the lack of trust in your players, but your apparent inability to talk to them during Session 0 like a grown ass man about how you run your fantasy settings like a fantasy setting.
>>
>>43585892
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons
>>
>>43584370
This reeks of tumblroid butthurt

You should just ask your fucking """""problematic""""" players if they'd rather play a historical game some other time.
>>
File: u kno u fuckin feel me.png (189 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
u kno u fuckin feel me.png
189 KB, 1280x720
>>43585735
>>43585802
>>43585917
>>
>>43585693
Do you have no appreciation for the ways that character backstories can be integrated into the adventures beforehand? Even just a single paragraph jotted down in the notes section of the sheet can give the DM some good fodder for future hooks or involvement to anchor that character the world.

While I certainly appreciate the organic growth of characters through play -it's always where I develop the meat of mine- leaning on that entirely for backstory with anyone but an old and trusted group of friends can create plenty of contradictions through ignorance, should the DM be trying to flesh out a setting.
>>
>>43585501
People like you are the reason that my Character's notices of resignation tend to be forceful and start with the guard closest to the front door.
>>
always play with the spirit of the rules in mind contrasted by the players fun. if something doesn't make sense and is unfun than the designer probably didn't intend that to happen so experiment until you get something that works
>>
>>43584370
>not a single person pointed out that nigger actually touching you
>>
>>43584498
>not knowing Dirty Dan of Devonshire
>>
File: NanbanGroup.jpg (174 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
NanbanGroup.jpg
174 KB, 480x640
>>43584498
Nobunaga had a black slave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

Damn, now I'm just imagining Nobunaga in a white suit owning a plantation.
>>
Our current campaigns houserules:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rQYn_UsV27usXR2YoyECO-C-3FGF_h2afIO02B4gKgo/edit
Our old campaigns:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xeFN0cCxvN8yOy-t_z_qK_4Na0gyMtp6FMA8YhEGfHc/edit

All for pathfinder.
>>
File: 2Extreme4You.jpg (146 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2Extreme4You.jpg
146 KB, 1280x720
>>43587274
Madness and Genius, clarified.
>>
>>43583612
Blood Angels Dreadnoughts have +2 attacks

You can pick your psyker's powers. Randumb =/= fun

Tau can shoot 2 weapons in the over watch phase.

We don't follow complicated dumb shit like the proper way to do assaults. If you're in, all your dudes are in.
>>
>>43583948
Rule 1 is kind of obnoxious, and rules 2 and 3 CANNOT work in certain systems like Legends of the Wulin.
>>
>>43587286
Er, what?
>>
>>43583612
Social skill checks are contested - characters will act appropriately depending on how much they're beaten by and the specifics of the situation. The same goes for PCs, when NPCs use social skill checks against them.

This is all left up to the honour system. If I can't trust someone to play this out honestly and fairly, I don't need them in my group.
>>
>>43583658
Enjoy never using Auto or Semi-Auto again, I guess.

Just blasting someone with an Autocannon is the most effective way of killing them 9/10 times.
>>
>>43587346
The rules presented contain a combination of common sense, good design, and batshit insanity.

The considerations about healing magic and necromancy are what D&D used to do, and should always have done, and the amount of effort smacks of a DM possessed of admirable passion, but the attempts to fix Pathfinder -and some of the rules for chargen and the like- peek into a mind becoming warped at the effort.
>>
>>43584370
I would assume that the old man is a rich fuck in disguise and either tail him or offer my services, depending on what I'm playing.
>>
File: 1447156661691.jpg (5 KB, 204x200) Image search: [Google]
1447156661691.jpg
5 KB, 204x200
>>43587301
Casul detected
>>
>>43587394
Oh I see. Any other thoughts on which rules are good and which ones are bad?
>>
If I ever have to fucking run 3.PF I'll demand tier 3 or 4 only. Goodbye fighters, wizards, clerics, most of the core classes in fact. Fun classes allowed only.

In 13th Age I kill ritual casting. Instead, doing "out of combat magic" is called "rolling an appropriate background and describing it as being magical". E.g. disguising the party can be "I am a Master Criminal +3, I totally know how to do that given some time to scrounge up disguises" or "I am a Wise Shaman +3, I can totally do that given time to perform the ritual of No-Face".

If you have a weird irritating laugh that's like "HYUH HYUH HYUH" then you don't get invited to the game.
>>
>>43587532
Later, maybe, I'll pore over them.
Right now I'm typing up a paper about Traumatic Brain Injury.
>>
>>43587596
>Traumatic Brain Injury.
Seems like a good subject to research here
>>
>>43585802
Just because a random-ass person said so doesn't make it right you know?
>>
>>43587639
Also, Yahtzee was talking about single-player videogames. That is totally different than a group RPG.
>>
Not much of a house rule so much as a chargen tool.
With character sheets/backstory getting turned in, I ask for a short questionaire which consists of these questions:
>Where are they from?
>Who were their parents/siblings? What were they like?
>What was their childhood like? Their teenage years?
>What is their relation to their family currently?
>Do they have any close friends? If not, why? If so, who/why?
>What is their general disposition? How about when meeting a new person?
>What are 2-3 ideals your character supports (charity, self-relience, etc.)
>Name 2-3 short term goals for your character (Get money for rent, join the local fighters guild)
>Name 1 long term goal you character has (Pay off mafia debts, become leader of the fighters guild)

I find it's very useful as a final checklist for characters, and helps new players think of their character as a seperate entity than themselves.
>>
>>43585693
Story travel sounds fun, I might try and get our group to try it. I however am a firm believer in backstory. Even a paragraph makes it much easier for me (even if nobody ever hears it) to roleplay my character because I can build up a framework of how they would react to certain situations based on their past.

Not that there's anything wrong with your aproach per se, I just like having a backstory for my characters. It gives them more life.
>>
>D&D 3.5E
If you get a 20 for a to hit, roll another 20. 1 negates crit, 20 is instakill, erverything else is regular crit.
If you get a 1, roll again. 20 negates fumble, another one has dire consequences
>>
>>43587320
How can RPing before making dice happen ever not be possible?
>>
>>43587357
This reminded me of another houserule after a particularly disastrous game.

>PCs may not force other PCs to do or feel things solely through social skill checks.

The ground work for this was one player who forced my stingy and penny thrift character to buy her character excessively expensive items solely because she had a better Diplomacy roll than me. I realize that this is a failing on the DM's part for letting it happen, but now it's a rule because unfortunately, just like the guy who put his cat in the microwave to dry it, rules need to be made to prevent stupid people from acting on their stupidity.
>>
>>43587743
I allow bluff/persuasion rolls against players however only as a measure to let the player being affected know how well the other character did, they then chose how they react sans dice rolls.
>>
>>43587743
Exactly what I'm trying to prevent. No one can force anyone else to do anything with social skill rolls in my game.
>>
>>43587758
I allow bluff, but I let the opposing player pick their temperament (which in turn sets the DC). I don't however, let them roll diplomacy. It's okay trying to cover something up via bluff, or to trick somebody into doing something, but no diplomacy to effectively mind control people.
>>
D&D 3.5, 4e (for the two sessions we played it), and 5e:

Divine Intervention
> Once per level, you may spend your divine intervention to cheat death. If any effect would kill you, it leaves you barely alive and stable. In this state, you are effectively removed from combat and can come back later but cannot be revived until after the encounter is over. This does NOT save you from a TPK in most situations.
> If you level up and haven't used your divine intervention, you may may make a wish. The DM then rolls a d% and on a 1% chance, you get your wish. DMs are encouraged to veto things that would badly imbalance the game, don't make sense in the setting, or for other valid reasons. Conversely, the DM may improve the chances of a success if the wish is minor, or is appropriate to the game.

Examples of successful divine interventions (the wish, not the get out of death card) from the last few campaigns:
> Cause the floor to collapse under the half-dragon mummy, dumping him into lava. This saved the party from a TPK.
> The ability to speak door (inside joke. Think Dor from Xanth's magical power to speak to inanimate objects but limited to doors). Doors are assholes and rarely give useful info.
> An extra set of wings (the character already had one set)
> Additional details to the visions the character was having. It was part of a personal sidequest plot, character was having vague visions of an ominous nature. We weren't going to follow the sidequest, but we're starting to think it actually might be connected to the main plot.
> A town named after the character, like Jaynestown in Firefly. Turned into a fun sidequest.
>>
>>43587773
Well-designed games do this already.
Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts, for example, don't force the character to do something. Instead, if a PC socials another PC, what happens is either the other PC gets a negative to a roll against them, or they get free XP if they act for them.
>>
>>43587941
I don't do individual XP.
>>
File: 1446784012383.jpg (20 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1446784012383.jpg
20 KB, 420x300
>A List of Good Rules that Almost All Groups Could Benefit From
>For those that don't want to sift through the thread

>>43583948
Rule 2 and 3 are awesome, but won't work with some specific systems. Other than that, they're great.
>>43585011 also gets it.

>>43585117
In any modern game, or even some fantasy games, this is golden. Having your character walking around with two uzis, a bazooka, and full body armor would get law enforcement on them wholesale.
Same goes for fantasy, to an extent. Most people don't want to talk to the barbarian with a greatsword that's still covered in blood.
It also encourages PCs to break out of their mold, and have a 'social' set that you can use to tailor encounters to, and have them think outside their normal box.

>>43585678
Could work well, but would also need the whole group to be OK with it. Some games aren't meant to be hectic, and be more "Pizza and beers, with some dice thrown in."

>>43585693
Rules 2 and 3 are all good, though 3 is optional.
Refer instead to >>43585726, >>43585917, or >>43586093 for better backstory thoughts. However, rule 1 is correct in saying that PCs shouldn't be reading each others' backstories without a good reason.

>>43587743 leads to >>43587782, but the core concept is that a player should never be able to actually control another player's character. Influence, sure, but never control.
The 'opposing temperaments set by the player' rule of the 2nd post is also good.
>>
40K RPGs' Fate Points are swell and now in all games I plan to run.
>>
The dipsomancy spell "god looks out for drunks" is completely banned as it ruins the game.

That'd pretty much the only rule we've got for our unknown armies campaign
>>
>>43583612
If you don't show up to the session, your character will be put on autopilot. If you don't show up to the session and don't have an explanation for why, I (the GM) will roleplay your character for the session, and you lose all right to complain if he or she does something that is "against character". If you care so much about your character, maybe you could fucking show up on time for once, or at least tell us beforehand if you're going to bail for whatever reason.
>>
If a player was distracted with something else and missed something, their character did too.

Looking at your phone and missed your initiative roll? Flatfooted.
>>
>>43583722
I do this. I've seen /tg/ LOSE their shit over this rule. Its often compared to the argument of making the fighters player lift a fridge. But fuck those people, I like this.
>>
>>43588264
That's bullshit. Demanding they act it out is "lift a fridge." Demanding they narrate it is "say what you're doing instead of 'I roll to hit.'"

Gotta admit, though, I kind of want to give >>43585011 a try next time. It sounds like it could be a ton of fun.
>>
>>43588264
Me too.
Like anon said, we're not asking the shy, socially backward player to actually *be* suave, but they should be able to at least describe the gist of what they want to do.
>>
>>43588552
>>43588538
>>43588264
Don't conflate the people who get upset at "now ACT" with how people react to "now describe your reaction."
>>
>>43587719
In legend of the Wulin, you declare the most basic action you're doing, then your dicepool. You take all the sets and one of them is used for your action. The other sets? They can be used for minor actions which can be anything from activating your fire punch to knocking a person over to reading a book to even kissing your foe while you're fighting him to break his concentration.
>>
>>43588264
>>43588538
See, it might just be me, but I agree with acting it out too, whenever possible.
A bit.
I take a player saying "I think your dress is nice." and rolling a 20 on Diplomacy or whatever and I translate that to a suitably charming comment on the fit and style of the dress with compliments to her obviously talented dressmaker.
I'm not going to insist on actually charming compliments, but saying "I compliment her dress." is not harder than saying, "I like your dress."
Narrating simple things feels disconnected and lazy.

But if you want your character to give a 15 minute rousing speech, I'll take a narration.
>>
>>43584462
So spain confirmed for not europe?
>>
Specific modified weapons dead extra base damage during special attacks. Like a wrist blade does 2d4 base damage during a sneak attack and a hammer does triple damage against doors and inanimate objects for a full round action and etc.
>>
>>43588600
>is not harder than
Wait. Reverse that.
Ah, you know what I meant.
>>
>>43584457
I take it as the more effort they put into their RP, the better the chances of them passing the DC.
(no matter how shitty their speech was, it's the effort they put into it that counts)
>>
Oh, I just thought of one we use all the time.

>If an argument cannot be resolved in a few minutes or less, the GM makes a ruling and it is tabled until the end of the session.
>>
>>43583612

Its never lupus
>>
for 3.p I import all the HP, armor, and weapons rules from fantasycraft.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 391x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 391x391
>>43583612
>DND 5e
If a Druid dies in animal form his character drops to 0 hit points.

Also he dies in real life.
>>
>>43591356
What, don't want the level 20 druid to infinitely cycle forms for infinite HP?
>>
>>43584048
>Playing character with high charisma
>Living with a -4 charisma modifier
>DM is asking me what I say to woo the women

This is a situation where I would prefer to roll for a diplomacy rather than role play it.
>>
>>43587951
I like you.
>>
>>43584197
Criminally underrated post. You gave my resident DH DM the best case of Joker grin and laugh.
>>
>>43588148
Try FFG's Star wars Force Points that you trade back and forth between GM and Players.
>>
File: pge27.png (10 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
pge27.png
10 KB, 128x128
D&D 5e.

Short rests take 5 minutes.
>>
>>43587951
Seconded. There's no reason to ever calculate XP except on a party basis. If you repeatedly miss sessions we're going to talk; if you go above and beyond there are better rewards than putting you a level above the party.
>>
>>43584922
When you do this, if someone makes a called shot and succeeds does the target take HP damage as well? In my interpretation you choose to either deal HP damage normally or attempt to gimp the target with a called shot, otherwise it would be all called shots 100% of the time, which would slow the game down as you do division of the target's current HP.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.