[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Traveller NPC generation [Quest]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: Traveller Cover.jpg (9 KB, 260x334) Image search: [Google]
Traveller Cover.jpg
9 KB, 260x334
This is not a quest thread, although it is a thread that requires voting and the rolling of dice, and is not directly intended for the purpose of discussion, so I branded it such out of consideration for those who would rather avoid these threads.

I will be using the standard character generation rules for the Mongoose version of traveller. As I do not intentionally receive any monetary benefit for doing so, nor am I sharing the source material, I believe I am not infringing upon the copyright policy set forth by the game producers. If I am, feel free to email me and let me know at: [email protected]

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I am here to generate a series of NPCs using travellers character creation system. I hope that the random and 'organic' style of character creation present in the core book will provide me with solid, real-feeling, NPCs.

In the next post, I will detail the main attributes. Any poster who links a roll of 2d6 will have the value of the roll used as a base attribute. I will use the rolls in the order that the attributes are listed in the next post.
>>
Strength (Str): A character’s physical strength, fit ness and forcefulness

Dexterity (Dex): Physical co-ordination and agility, reflexes. A character’s Dexterity affects his accuracy in ranged combat and his reaction speed.

Endurance (End): A character’s ability to sustain damage, stamina and determination. A character’s resilience is based on his Endurance score, so a character with a low Endurance score will be very vulnerable in a firefight.

Intelligence (Int):A character’s intellect and quickness of mind. Intelligence is used in a great many skill checks. Education (Edu): Education (Edu): A measure of a character’s learning and experience. Education is also used in a great many skill checks.

Social Standing (Soc): A character’s place in society. Characters with a high Social Standing can claim a noble title in the Imperium and will fi nd life much easier thanks to their reputation and contacts.
>>
Rolled 5, 6 = 11 (2d6)

>>43582582
You need to make this entertaining for us somehow. For instance: Link 10d6 and a short personality blurb.
>>
File: traveller in a nutshell.jpg (16 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
traveller in a nutshell.jpg
16 KB, 400x533
Rolled 2, 4 = 6 (2d6)

>>43582918
>You need to make this entertaining for us somehow.
Nah, people make these threads all the time. The personality quirks will be noted by the people in the thread as they emerge.

Rollin' on down the line.
>>
File: signing bonus.jpg (40 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
signing bonus.jpg
40 KB, 600x480
Also, I notice OP did not list the Education stat.
>>
Rolled 5, 3 = 8 (2d6)

Endurance
>>
>>43583625
I just didnt format correctly. I am copypasting from the book pdf. It's connected to intelligence.
>>
>>43584382
OP still here btw. Waiting on more rolls. Will be here until thread is pruned or deleted.
>>
Rolled 5, 2 = 7 (2d6)

>>43584426
wassup traveller

>>43583748
haha hes gonna die sooo fast
>>
>>43584453
In the Mongoose rules, it is always optional to kill the character in character creation, favoring instead a series of stat reductions and injuries.
>>
Rolled 1, 2 = 3 (2d6)

Now to see if they stayed in school
>>
Rolled 2, 2 = 4 (2d6)

2d6 gives really low rolls desu i can see why they say combat is lethal in this game
>>
>>43584533
I know, I had my friend do that because he's the kind that complains about shit and it was only after one period
>>
File: random race.jpg (196 KB, 641x437) Image search: [Google]
random race.jpg
196 KB, 641x437
Rolled 6, 6, 6 = 18 (3d6)

>>43584536
he dumb

>>43584545
and pretty poor social skills.

rolling for race (if you'll allow that) 1st dice is type, second dice if major race, 3rd dice if esoteric race
>>
>>43584633
>666
oh boy here we go.

So hes a freak or mutant (if OP allows that)

fuck yes
>>
what book is this table from >>43584633
>>
>>43584666
Mongoose Supplement 9, campaign guide

Its in here:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/puqo88hi0x9vs/TRAVELLER
>>
STR 11 (+1)
DEX 6 (+0)
END 8 (+0)
INT 7 (+0)
EDU 3 (-1)
SOC 4 (-1)

Alright guys, this is our character at this stage. Now, we move onto selecting home-world/education traits. These are skills we develop between birth and the age of eighteen. Our education modifier is -1 meaning we only get to choose two skills from the total list. You must choose at least one skill from the home-world traits list.

Lists to follow.
>>
>>43584633
Sorry, for this NPC making exercise, I only need humans. I have not read any of the supplements yet.

>>43584684
Thank you for linking this though, I will definitely lawfully purchase these and read them at a later date. (Maybe making a new thread)
>>
Homeworld:
Growing up on your homeworld gave you skills that depend on the planet’s nature. You can select any skill that matches your homeworld’s planetary description and trade codes.

Agricultural: Animals 0

Asteroid: Zero-G 0

Desert: Survival 0

Fluid Oceans: Seafarer 0

Garden: Animals 0

High Technology: Computers 0

High Population: Streetwise 0

Ice-Capped: Vacc Suit 0

Industrial: Trade 0

Low Technology: Survival 0

Poor: Animals 0

Rich: Carouse 0

Water World: Seafarer 0

Vacuum: Vacc Suit 0

>Listed first is the world trait, then the skill which it raises to 0 (or trained, meaning you get no bonus to rolls, but do not take the untrained penalty of -3 to rolls)

>The next list is a list of skills that can be raised through education.
>>
>>43584788
Education:
A formal education gives you a basic level of competence in various sciences and academic disciplines. Any character may choose from the following list:

Admin 0

Advocate 0

Art 0

Carouse 0

Comms 0

Computer 0

Drive 0

Engineer 0

Language 0

Medic 0

Physical Science 0

Life Science 0

Social Science 0

Space Science 0

Trade 0
>>
>>43584815
Choose one skill from the homeworld list, then either choose another homeworld skill or choose an education skill. Post these. The two skills that get to three total votes first will be selected.
>>
>>43584788
>>43584815
>>43584833
Survival 0
Drive 0
>>
>>43584788
With that EDU he may only get one.
>>
>>43584788
>>43584815
Animals 0
survivor 0
>>
File: Traveller_front_9.jpg (206 KB, 2008x945) Image search: [Google]
Traveller_front_9.jpg
206 KB, 2008x945
>>43585345
>>43584912
Survival has two votes, both drive and animals have one vote. This is moving really slow.
>>
>>43585525
It seems like a slow night.
>>
>>43585535
In that case, survival is locked. Meaning we came from either a desert or low technology world. I am going to say with our low education level, we came from a low tech world.

Next skill to reach two votes will be selected.
>>
>>43585592
Rolling might be an easier way to decide with this amount of traffic.
>>
Rolled 5, 1 = 6 (2d6)

>>43585592
ART
>>
>>43585592
I'll change my second vote from animals to drive
>>
>>43585816
With that, we take the skills:

Survival 0 and Drive 0

Here is the fun part.

Our character is from a low technology world, and was taught how to drive. Why? Any and all suggestions are valid. Was it like present day earth where large portions of he population use automobiles to get around? Is the atmosphere on our characters planet denser and therefor everyone gets around via personal helicopter? You decide. These stats are only the base template, and I would love to have multiple ideas for each set of skills and abilities.

Next, we decide on our first occupation.

I am going to say that since our education level is so low, and because we are from a low technology planet, I am going to limit our choices at the start to:

Imperial Navy
Imperial Army
Civilian
or Drifter.

Roll 1d4, first roll linked to this post decides.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d4)

>>43585879
Considering "low tech" is </= TL5 Which correlates to the mid 20th century how about we learned to drive the combine on the family farm.

Hoping for Army/civilian.
>>
>>43585934
I try to be lose with the tech levels, plus I didn't expect anyone to know them. That's an awesome idea. The farm-boy tractor driver tries to enlist with the Imperial Army through a small outpost on his planet. In awe of their advanced weaponry and worldliness, he hopes to find adventure and see the world. But first, he has to make the cut.

The enlistment roll is an endurance check, with a target number of five or more.

Roll 2d6+0 (our endurance roll). First post linked to this one will be used.
>>
Rolled 5, 1 = 6 (2d6)

>>43585979
>>
>>43586003
Enlistment passed! Through months of training, our character has become a member of the Imperial Army. He receives basic training, giving him the skills:

Athletics 0
Gun Combat 0
Recon 0
Melee 0
Heavy Weapons 0

Next, we choose an assignment for this term. This is what we will be doing for the next four years of our lives, and will receive special training to do so.

Support: You were an engineer, technician, medic, cook or in some other role behind the front lines.

Infantry: You were one of the Poor Bloody Infantry on the ground.

Cavalry: You rode a tank or other ground vehicle.

Roll 1d3, first linked post chooses.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d3)

>>43586069
Infantry get.
>>
>>43586069
Also don't forget we have gun combat (slug rifle or energy rifle) 1 for rank 0 in the army.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>43586094
I feel like this is the beginning of a novel where everyone dies at the end. Our humble tractor driving farm boy becomes a member of the Imperial Army's infantry. Mostly staying within the sector, he experiences things he never would have experienced otherwise. He gets practice in one skill from one of three categories available.

Service skills: Improving the skills learned through basic training.

Personal development: A mix of attribute improvements and other skills.

Infantry skills: Skills specific to the infantry.

Each of these categories has a corresponding table with numbers 1-6. I will roll 1d3 with this post to decide which table will be used, and the first linked post will be the number rolled on the table. For example, if this post rolls a 3, and the first linked number rolled is a 4, the selection will be the skill in the 4th position of the infantry table.

>>43586138
Forgot this, glad you are paying attention. We will take slug rifle as we are primarily stationed on a low tech planet. Will include at character update at end of term.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>43586174
Here we go
>>
>>43586218
This means an improvement of our melee skill to 1. We can choose a specialty. Roll 1d3.

1.Unarmed
2.Blade
3.Bludgeon
>>
Rolled 3 (1d3)

>>43586261
>>
>>43586261
Bludgeon it is!
Avoiding the use of lethal force, our character opts for a more blunt approach.

Now we make our survival check. Failing this check in the original Traveller meant having your character die. Seeing that as a waste of time in the creation of NPCs, I am choosing to forgo that rule, and instead have a failing roll mean a subsequent roll on the 'mishap' table.

This is what the Mongoose Traveller suggests, and I enjoy this system more. Some of my players choose to kill their characters when presented with a failed survival roll, mostly as a chance to start fresh.

The survival roll for a member of the Imperial Infantry is a strength check of six or more.

Roll 2d6+1
>>
Rolled 5, 1 + 1 = 7 (2d6 + 1)

>>43586326
The second roll is for the mishap table if applicable.
>>
Rolled 2, 6 = 8 (2d6)

>>43586357
event roll
>>
>>43586371
You pass the survival roll, and during your term you are offered a special training. Make an education check of eight or more to benefit from it.

roll 2d6-1
>>
Rolled 1, 6 + 1 = 8 (2d6 + 1)

>>43586394
>>
>>43586414
Sorry I accidently put +1 instead of -1.
>>
Rolled 3, 6 + 1 = 10 (2d6 + 1)

>>43586394
>>
>>43586414
With a 6, the character did not benefit from the training. It seems a baton if far easier to grasp than advanced mathematical concepts.

Now you may roll to advance to the next rank in your career. You can advance down the path of an enlisted man with an education check of six or more (2d6-1) or attempt to take on an officer position by trying a commission roll (a Social Status check of eight or more: 2d6-1)
>>
Rolled 5, 4 - 1 = 8 (2d6 - 1)

>>43586474
Commission roll
>>
Rolled 2 (1d3)

>>43586478
Success! You not only advance, but achieve an officer's rank. The character is now a Rank 1 Lieutenant and receives Leadership 1 as a skill.

For advancing, we also get to roll on the skill tables again. This post will roll 1d3 for the table, and the first linked post of 1d6 chooses the skill.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d6)

>>43586522
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.