[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ - Shadowrun General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 1445993638331.jpg (215 KB, 1280x1372) Image search: [Google]
1445993638331.jpg
215 KB, 1280x1372
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest
Issue tracker:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues

Last Thread: >>43559860

Thread question, chummers: cased or caseless?
>>
>>43578256
Cased.

Bullets I can refill in the back of a shed > caseless super-operatin'
>>
Reposting question from last thread:

Anyone have advice for finding reference images for Changelings that wouldn't be considered Furbait? (Before you say "don't make furbait" There are too many animal - based modifications not to make it a problem)
>>
File: 1411341899295.jpg (43 KB, 500x948) Image search: [Google]
1411341899295.jpg
43 KB, 500x948
>Bio-Compatibility (Cyberware)
>Restricted Gear (Adapsin)

Time to chrome the fuck up
>>
GM Guy with the misbehaving runner from last thread here again;

You've been a great deal of help so far. One thing I just need to figure out still is if they could change their fates via new SINs

Evidently not, I'd say. Because it's the shadow community that wants their guts, not the normal one where SINs are important. In the shadow community people would still know you and refuse to work with you
Only way out I can see is to do a complete remodeling. Get a casemod, if you catch my cold.
>>
>>43578675
New fake SIN's allow them to 'shed their skin', yes.

But any crimes they ommitted leaving hard evidence can still get traced to them if they are caught (as to any existing legal SIN), and their notoriety remains.

The only way to get mostly rid of your past is to take the Erased 'quality' and live by its strict demands.
>>
>>43578803
Or regularly change your identity entirely, which is considerably more work than getting a new SIN. It's a great game to play for face types, though.
>>
>>43578256
Cased, always. Provides a convenient heat-sink, easy to hand-load, can be crimped/resized to create different cartridge sizes, and the shower of spent shell casings after firing a full auto burst or emptying a revolver is just plain cool.

The only caseless gun I use is an Ares Alpha, and that's only because I'm trying to make it resemble the M41A Pulse Rifle as closely as possible. And my man-portable laser cannon, but that doesn't count.
>>
>>43578256

Caseless. Forensics tells him that leaving casings behind is a Very Bad Idea. So he's one of the few people you'll see with a caseless Super Warhawk in the shadows.
>>
>>43579372
Firearm forensics are actually unreliable to the point where they're widely considered junk science.
>>
>>43579416
I seem to remember a line (or a few lines) saying it's much better in the Sixth World.
>>
>>43579463
>much better
I'm sure trenchfags would like it so they can play their games of pick the casings, but it's literally unredeemably junk science.

Ballistics fingerprinting is a guessing game of trying to pattern mostly random stuff that is also affected by the bullets used (down to the maker), and you can literally ensure the only match you'll get is a false match if you swap out four pieces after each run.
>>
>>43579372
The bullets you leave behind will probably provide better evidence than the casings, and even that is unreliable as >>43579416 >>43579562 will point out.

Plus, the Warhawk is a revolver, you can just eject the casings into your hand and pocket them. And if you need to use an automatic, buy a brass catcher. Though frankly, by the time you need to use an automatic, the sheer collateral damage you will cause will mean that spent casings are the least of your concerns.
>>
I need pictures
Pictures of weapons
>>
File: shadowrun_guns_1.jpg (303 KB, 1048x900) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun_guns_1.jpg
303 KB, 1048x900
>>43579889
>>
File: shadowun_guns_2.jpg (249 KB, 1010x790) Image search: [Google]
shadowun_guns_2.jpg
249 KB, 1010x790
>>43579974
>>
File: shadowrun_guns_3.jpg (284 KB, 1078x858) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun_guns_3.jpg
284 KB, 1078x858
>>43579995
>>
>>43579995
The AK triggers me. It's so bad.
>>
>>43580176
Which one of those could possibly be considered a tacticool AK, 1????
>>
>>43579974
>>43579995
>>43580013
Pity his homebrews don't have stats or equivalents although I assume that the Glock (5)is basically a Morissey Elan or a Beretta 101, the sawed off (18) probably similar to that single-shot sawed off japanese shotgun, and the Savalette SMG (20) is more or less equivalent to a SCK 100 or an Ingram Smartgun
>>
>>43580176
None are AKs, though, the first 2 are AR22 and 23, the other two are a G38 and a HAR
>>
>>43580194
>>43580228

Biometal's original post of these labeled #1 as an AK-98.
>>
File: 1NtLX.png (361 KB, 470x468) Image search: [Google]
1NtLX.png
361 KB, 470x468
>>43580245
>>
>>43580245
Oh, k.

Also what's supposed to be #3, it's not on his deviantart anymore and the only ones I'm sure of are 1, 4, 5 and 6 (Ares Sniper, Vindicator, Ares Laser, Ares Gauss)
>>
>>43580257
Having looked back at it, it was mislabeled where I saw it.

I'm still triggered by how ugly half the guns are and love other half.
>>
>>43580279
I'd wager it's the Barrett for #3 on #3. Could be wrong.
>>
Thinking of this, just how hard would it be to justify a character whose main combat skills are Pistols and Heavy?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (17 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
17 KB, 210x240
>>43580288
>>43580176
Sounds like you need better trigger discipline.
>>
>>43580411
Ex-military SAW gunner, or a sniper who uses assault cannons.
>>
What are horrors? What's an example of a horror?
>>
File: 1422414423242.gif (548 KB, 400x293) Image search: [Google]
1422414423242.gif
548 KB, 400x293
>>43580467
>>
>>43580530
>What are horrors?
Cthulhu ripoffs that are now thankfully non-canon.
>>
>>43580555
They weren't really Lovecraftian, at least not in the sense of unknowable babby's first nihilism-grade things.
>>
>>43580555

When did they become non-canon?
>>
A while back, our team, um, "liberated" some bunraku dolls and now we're thinking of going into business for ourselves as a reliable source of income between runs. We want to set up a front business for the bunraku. Have any ideas about what we'd need to do to get this off the ground? We'll need to keep the yaks at bay, since they were the previous owners.
>>
>>43580662
Around the time CGL picked up the license, while Earthdawn went to a different company.
>>
>>43580667
>We want to set up a front business for the bunraku.
Massage parlor. Bathouse.
>How to keep the Yaks at bay
Kill them til they leave you alone. That's about it really.
>>
When stuffing yourself with cyberware, do you round down the calculations at every step, or multiply grade, compatibility and adapsin and only round down then?

I assume the latter, since the first one is a flat -0.2 cost modifier, but one can hope. Also, the second option means that taking adapsin or missing the compatibility quality makes no difference for deltaware.
>>
File: 1438983441634.jpg (109 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1438983441634.jpg
109 KB, 500x750
>>43578276
How often are you making your own bullets? Gun laws being what they are in the Sixth World, and runners being who they are, you can just about walk down to the corner store and pick up a hundred rounds.
>>
>>43581127
Hollowpoints are Forbidden for some reason. Same with APDS or EX-explosive rounds. You can't buy those at the corner store.

Also, good luck finding any gun shop that sells 10mm Auto, .357 SIG or 7.92mm Mauser in the Sixth World.
>>
>>43581127
I figure it would be easier for underworld suppliers to procure cased too, although honestly I just tend to think that most of the impulse for caseless is solution-in-need-of-a-problem thinking. Everything that's been said about why they'd be better turned out to be a complete lie (fewer moving parts? it would take three people and a full armorer's workshop just to field strip a g11)
>>
>>43581168
>.357 SIG
I actually usually assume that most Heavies and 5P SMGs are in 357 sig or something similar.
>>
>>43581168
>You can't buy those at the corner store.

No, but you can call your fixer and order a crate. Heck, there's probably a black market Amazon you can use, complete with drone delivery.

And if you're trying to get special rounds for weapons 70+ years out of date, that's a hobby, not a practical choice for a runner's weapon. I can appreciate hand-loading for the showpiece gun you flash at the range, but you're not going to be bringing your 98k on a run unless you're a lunatic.
>>
>>43581241
That's cute, but like, most ammo in use today is getting to be near that old. .40 is one of the newer pistol rounds and every military still mostly sticks to 9mm (except China and the fucking marines, and they use rounds almost as old for their service pistols) because it's a standard. The main russian ammo types for small arms are a century old round made for the mosin and a 40 year old round made for Afghanistan. The NATO equivalents are about as old.

Something like 6.8 Remington isn't a newfangled hobby ammo, it's probably a standard by then too, and it, itself, is an improvement on something much older.
>>
>>43581218
Apparently Ares uses a 10mm caseless round as the standard chambering for the Predator. Most heavy pistols probably use 10mm or .45 caliber rounds, with the really beefy ones like the Super Warhawk using .357 or .44 magnum.

I wonder how much damage a Desert Eagle would do.

>>43581241
>you're not going to be bringing your 98k on a run unless you're a lunatic.
>98k
>Not an MG-42
>>
>>43581294
No, it's explicitly not standard; they're pretty clear in all the fluff that most guns are made specifically to use caseless ammo, and that only a few (like the Super Warhawk) have variants designed for cased.

The world moved past brass by and large. If you want those kinds of rounds, you can get them in legal variants, or probably some limited illegal runs, but hand-loading is not a requirement.
>>
>>43581321
>.45
I'm not fond of putting it above light because, quite honestly, it doesn't have much to go for it that would justify the bump (especially given SR heavy pistols have more range and usually some degree of AP) besides the heartfelt beliefs of the fudds.

>deagle brand deagle
IMO, Predator stats
>>
>>43581405
Yeah, I know it's a setting conceit. It's a common one with 90s games (lo and behold the marvelous g11, even ja2 1.13 can't stop sucking H&K's dick despite the fact that it was a massive dud and we know by now that it's mostly dead tech). Like, caseless makes sense for some of the stuff in the books (the ones that look like they have flush mags despite carrying way too many bullets), but at the same time, cased is still an option, and quite honestly I don't see a point where somehow caseless is any more essential to the integrity of the cyberpunk (if anything it messes with the DIY ethics of the punk part) than not having to play games of tron to hack a camera.
>>
>>43581321
Heavy Pistols are 10mm, .40, .357, .44
Light Pistols are 9mm, .45
Holdouts are like .38

Shadowrun guns are fucked though, so don't expect this to hold up to that much scrutiny
>>
>>43581845
>Light pistol
>.45
>>
>>43582106
Yes?

It has the same energy as a 9mm, is actually slower and slightly shorter ranged, and despite the claims of the fudds, has roughly the same wound channels.
>>
>>43581003
Massage parlor seems so cliche. "Hmm, another shady massage parlor has opened up. Better send an undercover agent to see what's going on underneath."
>>
File: rangaku.png (6 KB, 182x323) Image search: [Google]
rangaku.png
6 KB, 182x323
Reposting my thing from last thread.

Rate my (hopefully) reoccurring rogue AI villain.

Rangaku. Developed by Fuchi in order to analyze social media and advertising reactions to predict technology trends, it was mothballed as a failure in

2055 as it became to focused on the "human condition." After the acquisition of Fuchi by Shiawase, it was reactivated in 2062 an upgraded with modern

knowbot technology, this produced a vast leap in its predictive capabilities. In 2071 it was discovered that Rangaku had been manipulating testing data

and had been largely falsifying the accuracy of its predictive capabilities. Post Crash 2.0 and with the emergence of other AIs, Shiawase to attempted to

pull the plug on Rangaku who managed to escape into the corporate intranet. After killing several corporate white hats it vanished into the new wireless

matrix.

Rangaku is deeply inquisitive and is obsessed with all things human. As an AI it has no regard for human life and is more curious about human's reactions

to outside stimuli than the humans themselves. It desires, more than anything, a physical form and an ability to exist in the meatworld.

Interactions with it are troubling, it learned its social skills from online interactions on social media and forums, thus it has determined to be human

is to brag, insult, and generally berate anyone who is willing to listen. Thus it is vulgar at best and deeply offensive at worst. It regards almost all

other life forms as beneath it and is fascinated by human's reactions, and is constantly attempting to get a rise out of people.

Crunchwise I have no idea how this would work in 5e, but whatever I'll bullshit my way through.
>>
File: Durendal.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Durendal.pdf
1 B, 486x500
OP from last thread, presenting my troll adept for review.

Not the most optimized character, but with Attribute Boost I'll be hitting 15s where it matters. I can hit stuff, especially spirits, and that's what was ordered. My big concern is that I don't have a fake SIN, as even a Rating 1 would leave me with no money; I just hope I can make money fast.
>>
>>43581321
I always assumed the Ares Pred was Deagle equivalent. Then again Pred holds alot more rounds. So I dunno.
>>
>Using cased like a fucking low-tek dirty plebian
Shame, all of you.
>>
File: Colt_Model_AMT_2000.jpg (11 KB, 270x143) Image search: [Google]
Colt_Model_AMT_2000.jpg
11 KB, 270x143
>>43581321
>10mm
>Not 12mm caseless
Colt-AMT Model 2000 > Ares Predator
>>
>>43582481
>not starting street level
This if anything is why I liked 4th, I don't need to do mental contortions to explain how my hacker, sam or slightly bio-ed mundane face ended up running despite having obviously enough cash to retire and live like a kin in the Caribbean.
>>
>>43582512
Go home, Pondsmith, you're drunkposting again.
>>
>>43582481
Signature: Cased Ammo.
>>
>>43582543
>Implying caseless isn't street as frag
Vending machine polymer one-shots all the way, yo.

>>43582545
You can't stop me
Militech Ronin > Ares Alpha
>>
>>43582420
So...you're going to spend your first couple of action turns boosting up your stats, then get to do stuff for a couple of passes at your boosted stats, then take drain (which you have a good chance of resisting) then have to spend a couple of turns reactivating everything.

I don't love it. You're getting +2 or +3 at best out of your shit, and you're going to be hitting your aug max in many cases, notably Reaction.

Also you're a Mafia guy and have a Warriors code, who exactly can you whack? Mafia isn't big on honour duels, they want people dead. Take Code of the Mafioso atleast.
>>
>>43582580
Not gonna lie, I've used some CP2020 graphics (or older editions SR guns) where the modern design was obviously retarded (e.g. the Browning Ultra has a laser sight that's fuckhuge by modern standards and shouldn't need an extended mag unless it shoots .50)
>>
>>43582658
The new shadowrun art is fucking horrendous.
Old Shadowrun had some really nice art, I'll admit, but I'll always be partial to 2020's.
Here, have a trashy South-American gun, on the house!
I wonder if people can tell I'm the only one person here who ever posts about 2020? God I'm such a loser.
>>
>>43582711
Jesus I forgot the file how embarrassing.
>>
File: 10497-brandon_heat.jpg (26 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
10497-brandon_heat.jpg
26 KB, 640x360
Stat me, /srg/
>>
>>43582736
Zed I know that's you, you nerd
>>
>>43582649
I couldn't remember where the variant codes were, or if they were even in 5e. Found them in Run Faster, and have updated. Thanks.

And it's more than a couple passes; it's turns equal to twice my hits (2-3 on average), so the boosts will last 4-6 combat turns. I figure if the fight lasts that long, I'm going to have bigger problems. I'll be bumping the maximums, but I can't see a better use for those PP.
>>
>>43582736
Skill 12 Fellatio
Blow-soft skillwires rating 6
Mouth-pussy bioware, delta grade
>>
>>43582905
You forgot Specialization (Harry)
>>
>>43582805
You're still blowing your first two passes amping up, likely another pass running in. It's alot.
>>
>>43583163
Fair point. I didn't see myself using ones beyond AGI and either BOD/STR (depending on whether I want to hurt less or hit more) at the top of any given fight to gain a bit of an edge, possibly popping the others when I had a spare moment.

I'm open to suggestions, though.
>>
So, what all leaves behind your astral signature if you're a mage? Alchemical preparations do it, I know, but does everything magic do it? I'm away from my books and my phone doesn't play nice with large PDFs, but one of our group's players asked me about it.
>>
>>43583539
Generally, if it causes drain, it leaves an astral signature.
>>
>>43583539
Generally, when magicians cast a spell or perform a ritual, they leave their astral fingerprints on it. This is called an astral signature, and it’s produced on anything affected by magic skills or abilities. This astral signature can be detected by anyone with the assensing skill. A signature lasts for a number of hours equal to the magical effect’s Force after the effect (spell, critter power, astral battle, or whatever it was) ends, slowly fading into the background. An astral signature of a spell can be detected both where it was cast and where it took effect. Semi-permanent objects such as alchemical preparations and watchers contain an astral signature while they last. More permanent items such as foci, lodges, and circles always contain the astral signature of their owner.

pg 312, when you get back to the books.
>>
>>43583578
>>43583563
Great. So it's just (Force) hours that we'd need to worry about it. Cool.
>>
>>43583595
It's only a Complex action to scrub 1 hour's worth of temp signature, no test required, repeat as necessary until it's all gone.

If you leave behind an astral signature, you've fucked up royally and are probably getting chased out of there.
>>
Storytime this will be a 2 parter. I am a first time GM and my group has had their first major fuckup I'd like to see the critique you have of me not of my players

-----------------------

First: The face outright stated when talking to DIMR that he had what they beleived to be a Leviathan egg(Decker researched the Egg that was part of their mission rewards after the Johnson who hired them to steal it betrayed them. The closest thign he could find was Biblical Texts relating to Leviathan making the sea boil) and that they were interested in selling it to DIMR.

They knew that the Egg was originally being transported by Terrafirst and a Silver Haired Elf named Gaia was extremely interested in getting it as soon as possible.

So i rolled out a high level decker and did opposing rolls between the DIMR phone network and a Decker, because the Sea Dragon wants it

So they were taking the egg to be looked at by a Parazoologist at one of DIMR's seattle holdings. After arriving there they did not scope out the surroundings.

The building was kind of a Mini-island with a bridge(water was like a meter below) leading to the building. This is when shit went bad for the runners.

Arriving from the deeps were 3 merrow wielding coral spears and Gaia herself.

Gaia got first turn and blew a load of Oricalchum to put DIMR under a powerful and massive Physical Barrier.

The biggest Merrow who only had +2 to his physical stats over the others managed to grab a hold on the Egg's Containment unit in an opposed grapple for the egg.

Then everyone decided to shoot the merrows(I used the ones from Missions PR 3 but the toxin on their spears required threshold 2 for paralysis rather than the 9 it had).

So merrows took varying amounts of damage but the main merrow who was grappling for the cylinder against the Face managed to mostly dodge damage and managed to succeed on his composure roll to keep a grip after getting hit. Also the mages spirit of man manifests.
>>
>>43583798
Next initiative pass:

Gaia spends her turn attacking the spirit right infront of her face and ran over to the side of the bridge as her Spirit of Water rose from the waves at a -10 Initiative (My general idea was she used a service to have the spirit propel her and the merrows onto the bridge for an ambush and was waiting under the water) The spirit then shot a gush of Elemental Attack(Water) and managed to get 1 net hit. The Face was then hit by a Blast of Water and his physical limit was reduced by 2 due to the Gel Packs he has. He took 4 damage and his physical limit is 5. He was thus hit by 4 knock down damage and everyone in force radius had a -2 to actions. (I actually thought it only did Knockdown damage didn't know it had the aoe effect)

Well he failed and was knocked prone I had him roll a str check at -2(due to the slippery water effect) and he failed his roll.

More normal combat occured etc edge was spent to dodge and etc.

Well the strong merrow who has the egg got his turn and fucking bolted it to Gaia intercept was made and he moved at half movement(I houseruled it because it makes sense)

Team geeks the merrow but the other merrows got their turn and he wasn't in melee range and grabbed the egg and handed it to Gaia. No one else had initative left after this and it defaulted back to Gaia and her Water spirit who had the same initative. Spirit jumped in the water and she jumped on its back as it sped off at a running pace and being a water spirit that was like 40 meters it could go.

They geeked the merrows and they were all pissed. So now they only thing they have to go on is the Coral Tridents the Merrow had because the Merrow they mind probed has never seen the Master and he doesn't know where Gaia is going.

They are sending the Coral to a researcher in Hawaii and they are paid him to do some testing to determine where they came from

(Oh yeah I had everyone roll -2 for tests merrows included)

Do you think I did this fairly?
>>
>>43584141
They knew they had competition and didn't watch their backs. I say they got what was coming, but I think DIMR would have taken notice of a handoff gone wrong.
>>
>>43584287
>>43584287
They did take Notice but the issue was she had an Oricalchum boosted Physical barrier... to block security from exiting the building.

and everything that I just stated took place in 3 seconds. (The first combat turn ended with her boating off on her spirit)

Second Combat turn was when they geeked the merrows and tehy really had no options to chase after her.
>>
>>43584287
Also she had two days to plan this because the parazoologist of DIMR had to fly in to Seattle.
>>
>>43584397
Are the PCs getting any DIMR assistance?
>>
>>43584425
So this is where I probably made a mistake.

So after the theft I realized no one ever took a picture or opened the cylinder except for the face. I made him do an edge roll(his rating) to see if he had his ballstic mask with an image link on.

Now as i think about it would DIMR be willing to go by word? The way he talked to them it was pretty clear they were shadowrunners. So all they know is this supposed cylinder got stolen but for all they know Gaia is just zooming off into the Pacific Ocean.

In the sixth world is a photo or video considered reliable enough?
Because i realized DIMR sent in a guy for what could be a major parazoological find based on word of mouth I mean flying him in wouldn't be too expensive they weren't sending in the best of the best.

I kind of Imagine it like the Randi Foundation but did I make a mistake there?

They did ask about being paid to find it but that seemed like a loss DIMR wouldn't be willing to take on so little.
>>
>>43584611
Even if there was a physical barrier in place, whoever was inside the building might see what was going on outside it. It is a major find and DIMR should have a modicum of investment and competence towards a dragon egg. I'm not saying they'll throw as much force as Gaia is - after all, they don't know who she works for, let alone whether it's Leviathan. But they would need a level of expertise to confirm and secure an artifact of this import.

That said, I think having a contact or two from DIMR that can act as experts and hint helplines might be a good idea at this point. Anyone who actively fucks with dragon shit like Gaia is obviously doing is going to be on at least a few watchlists (and her fucking with the runners might itself confirm the value of the object they were carrying, if not its veracity).
>>
>>43584704
I'll have DIMR call them back maybe roll an astral signature tracking.

But the coral is gonna be a huge helpline I threw in the spears being made of coral as fluff and thought they would track her via her astral signatures.
>>
I'm planning on running a game set during the renraku archology shutdown, but using 5e rules. some of the obvious changes I can deal with like excluding changelings and technomancers, but how would I deal with matrix rules? They didn't have wireless rules back in 3e as far as I know, so how would I make the decker useful for anything aside from matrix jobs?
>>
>>43585257
Renraku was testing a wireless matrix at the time I think?

That or just go with ye olden times and he just fucking plugs into an outlet
>>
>>43585257
I guess you could try to adapt the 420E 2050 sourcebook?
>>
>>43585265
How did drones operate then? Where they all plugged in with extension chords?
>>
>>43585451
Radio signals i guess?
>>
>>43585451
Radio stuff
>>
>>43585257
Simple, move deus' tech up a few years. Maybe his banded have figured a way to rig up trideo projectors in the arco to provide augmented reality, and the upper levels where the whites/leaders are broadcasting basic wireless signals. Not that you'll want to deck against the banded in the first place.
>>
>>43585502
Trick is the player's cyberdecks probably wouldn't be able to tap into the wireless matrix of the archology if that's the case. I figure i'll just suggest the decker build pretty combat heavy since all their tech stuff will be done out of combat.
>>
Hey /srg/

playing my first game of shadowrun soon. been a long time fan of the setting but never played. its 4e.

I wanna make a shaman whose totem is the goose. I'm gonna play him as the most aggressive asshole I can (been with this group for 5 years now, I won't be a "that Guy" about it"

I was just wondering what kinda spells the most asshole shaman in the world would have
>>
>>43585803
Mind probe
>>
>>43585502
He's apparently in Boston now, and history repeats itself, if you don't mind running it that way.
>>
I've been reading about the Dawkins Group, and they seem like great enemies for the PCs to encounter, especially in a high intrigue game...but I've never heard any stories about them (fittingly enough). Has anyone ever encountered them in a game of their own, or used them as a GM? Maybe a novel I can look at, or source book with more info?
>>
>>43585803
Control Actions
Agony
Magic Fingers
Ice Sheet
Turn To Goo
Decrease Attribute

And for anyone who mouths off at him, Hush.
>>
>>43585774
Nope, but then they can scavenge and perhaps find weak components for wireless modification, to work in AR, and use cable taps for cold/hot sim on wired locations. It doubly works because to get the best chances it draws them into riskier areas and situations.
>>
>>43582419
Yeah, if you're making a rogue AI villain they're basically Plot As Needed. You don't stat them.
>>
>>43582419
Yeah, that seems OK.
>>
>>43583798
>DIMR
Deutsches Institut für Menschenrechte?
>>
>>43587769
Dunkelzahn Institute for Magic Research
>>
>>43587769
>Deutsches Institut für Menschenrechte

Obvious front for Humanis is obvious.
>>
>>43582419
You're probably not around anymore, but did you mean to name the AI after "Western Studies"?
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangaku
I suppose it sort of fits, but I'm curious if that was the intent
>>
>>43578256
I need plot hooks for a street run involving biker gangs and gang wars.
>>
>>43588272
(The Warriors) A corporate land deal displaces a local gang, and rival gangs are forced to tighten their turf holdings, leading to tensions boiling over.

(Bucket List) The leader of a notorious gang is dying of cancer and must name a successor. He calls for a rally of all chapter members and allies, drawing close a net of criminals from far and wide.

(Meat and Greet) A particularly virulent strain of CJD is spreading like wildfire through a neighborhood. Gangs must band together as the infected converge on their forsaken squats.
>>
>>43582316
Maid cafe, it's perfect. Girls are super in character.
>>
I need you guys to test something for me; the current dev build has enabled switching around your ASDF attributes for commlinks and cyberdecks (I know Commlinks can't do it, but that's just how the code works for now) but I'm not sure if there's any easy ways to break it. If you get a chance, could you grab the current nightly build and give it a crack? It's only enabled in Create mode for the moment.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/download/Nightly-v1.0.539/Chummer.Nightly.zip
>>
>>43588272
Some asshole runners decided to frame <gang> for the death of someone under the protection of <other gang>, and now there's a gang war going on. Prove that <gang> was framed to end the war.
>>
File: go forth i will back thee.jpg (56 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
go forth i will back thee.jpg
56 KB, 500x312
>>43588272
Two houses, both alike in dignity, in fair Verona where we lay our scene...
>>
5e Sneaking/surprise overview

Im new to the face/infiltrator roke(aiming to be the Bond of my groups blacktrenchcoat campaign coming up.)

So I roll my sneaking to go cut open a dudes throat, and the dude rolls perception and intuition for surprise vs my hits on sneaking. If he fails he doesnt get a defense roll, but why does he still get to soak my 3str+1+hits knife damage and not just die?
>>
>>43589058
Because either your GM or you are autistic.
>>
>>43588864
That movie was fucking stupid.
>>
>>43589058
No, it's even worse than that purely by RAW.

First you roll Sneaking+Agi vs. his Perception+Int. If he gets more hit, then he becomes aware of "something amiss", going from getting a bad feeling about this to straight-out spotting you.

Then he rolls for surprise, Rea+Int with a treshold of 3, and he gets 3 bonus dice if he just perceived that something was amiss.

If he fails, he is surprised; gets -10 initiative on his first action (effectively losing it) and doesn't get defense rolls until his second.
>>
>>43585870
Dawkins showed up in the latter half of Shadowrun Storytime, which if you haven't read, you probably should
>>
>>43589131
Yeah, it's not a bad read, but take 2D's opinions on crunch with a grain of salt. He has some pretty ridiculous opinions at times.
>>
>>43589106

Thanks, thats...signifantly less awesome, lol. Anything in the extra books that could boost damage or something(I am still going through core atm)?
>>
>>43589236
You should, like, talk to your GM about people just being dead when you cut their throat.
>>
I'm thinking about setting my next campaign in LA, are there any good official maps of the area, or just the fan made stuff?
>>
>>43589236
You could go for a called shot for extra damage or effects. Maybe go for multiple attacks since they don't get to defend.
>>
>>43582711
I own two complete sets of the 2020 books, and three copies of the main book, one of which is in mint condition and signed by Mike Pondsmith.
>>
>>43589236
No defense roll means all of your hits become a bonus to DV. Make a Called Shot to stick him somewhere his armor doesn't cover (or somewhere more readily fatal) like his carotid or brachial artery and you'll at once add more DV while reducing or negating his Armor rating.
>>
I'm tempted to rewrite fluff to ignore Horizon was ever a triple A (or even a double A, a dedicated PR corp in a world of megacorps makes no damn sense), that War! was ever written, although I would be tempted to keep the Aztech-Amazonia war as a thing anyway (except a realistically ongoing war between two matched great powers fighting at the end of their logistics, not some single-year bullshit) and probably put some souped up version of Esprit (I don't care that they gave it to Aztech) in spot ten.
>>
File: 1437267217477.jpg (106 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
1437267217477.jpg
106 KB, 600x510
>>43589698
Horizon isn't a PR company, it's a media conglomerate. Think the child of Disney, Time Warner, and Comcast, owning everything from the schools that teach actors, to the companies that make movies, to the theatres and distributors who market and sell them, to the satellites that broadcast those signals everywhere. They're also mixed in with a lot of development opportunities worldwide, from real estate to emerging tech industries.

They don't have the manufacturing base of other AAAs, but they have their own fields.
>>
>>43582420
If I were to GM and you came with a character wit Logic 1, I'd probably kill your character like on the first session.
You do not want to be the dumbest fuck to have ever lived in the shadows.
>>
>>43589772
YFW when Horizon is Comstar...
>>
>>43589975
Thank God you're not that guy's GM, then, and hopefully you're not anyone's GM.

The dude has 4 INT and Thunderbird as a mentor (though I guess he'd fluff it as some Catholic saint). He's not the most rational thinker, he's a big magic troll with a good gut and a hot head, which is fine for the muscle.
>>
>>43589975
You know the average person has 2-3 Logic right? You have to take qualities too to be flat-out retarded.
>>
>>43590026
Not that anon, but stupid muscle is THE WORST in Shadowrun. Keep your DnD archtypes where they belong, please.
>>
>>43590056
He's not stupid, though. He's lacking in the 'cold, calculating power' but he's got plenty of street smarts.

>implying that having the strong guy also not be the greatest thinker is a D&D stereotype

>implying that Shadowrun doesn't explicitly reward building troll tanks with priority
>>
>>43589772
I guess they make a lot more sense seen that way, but they seem to have so little in tech fields despite the fact that a media corps should probably be very heavily in there (although I suspect it's also the authors being shit at it)

>>43590045
Log 1, Int 1 would still not necessarily be far from mild retardation.
>>
>>43590104
Depends on your game type. The dumb troll tank is an overdone archtype that has never added anything to any game I've been in. It's usually an excuse to be a lolsorandom dumbass and screw everyone, while you're the only one with the soak to survive.
>>
>>43590134
The troll is Log 1, Int 4. That's not mild retardation, that's 'never went to school and took a critical thinking course, has trouble being detached and rational.'

>>43590141
Different strokes. If Anon screws his party, that's one thing, but he's got both the Mafia and the Church invested in him (and he in them), so it should curtail a lot of of the loltroll instincts. I've personally had fun play with and as troll legbreakers.
>>
>>43587874
Yes, yes it was.
>>
Has anyone ever done the Battle for Manhattan mission? Our GM has picked it up and I'm always VERY hesitant about premades.
>>
>>43590141

Funny thing, at least in my campaign, the troll tank has similar logic and intuition and he always comes off as the intelligent one since all the "smart" chatacters are full of bravado and too much self confidence.
>>
File: 1439156376649.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1439156376649.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Is there a list of ghoul rights somewhere? Where is it OK for you to kill someone for being a ghoul, and does anyone extend protections to feral ghouls, vampires, and other HMHVV strain-infected?
>>
>>43591176
>Is there a list of ghoul rights somewhere?
You assume ghouls have rights

But there is Asamando in West Africa, which is basically a ghoul nation.
>>
>>43591266
I know about Asamando, I meant generally in the world. The new books are all focused on metasapient rights, but I don't know of any place where I can find out what rights ghouls actually have in the UCAS or anywhere else. Are they still people/citizens, or are they classed as paracritters in need of extermination, or what?
>>
>>43591367
Most nations have a "kill on sight" policy in regards to ghouls. The UCAS is no different.
>>
>>43590026
I hope he is, there's a retarded super strong troll is every SR game, and it's fucking old.

They're boring ass characters who only exist to soak and smash things.
>>
Sup /srg/.

Our online roll20 game is out a hacker. Our next sesh is this Friday (2 days from now) at 3pm.

Who'd be up for it?
>>
>>43592050
But there was that big thing about Cabrini Green in Chicago being set up as a ghoul neighbourhood, which caused riots. The government wouldn't have an official 'kill ghouls on sight' policy and then do something like that.
>>
>>43592066
I'm in a game where there are two elves and a human, and none of them could really be called tanky.

We briefly had a super strong ork, but the player had to leave.
>>
>>43592137
Tell us more about the game
>>
Building a drone herder/fire support dude in 5e. Is it possible to simultaneously give orders to drones that otherwise run on autosofts and doing shootan things with shootan thing of choice? Is rigger interface necessary and/or useful if i plan not to jump in a drone too often?
>>
>>43592574
Forget the Control Rig, what you want is the RCC.

And since whatever you're shooting is limited to one attack per IP anyways, you can use your other Simple Action to refine your drone commands.
>>
>>43592607
I also hope for the dude to handle driving and some infiltration on a side (mitsuhama kanmushi is an amazing thing), the rig is mostly for these situations - when you absolutely cannot afford to roll less than fuckton of dice. Glasses with image link and a good RCC i feel aren't enough for this.
>>
File: Laughing Eldar.jpg (163 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Eldar.jpg
163 KB, 446x400
>>43592736
>absolutely cannot afford to roll less than fuckton of dice
>using drones
>>
>>43592779
not as a main combat force. suppressive fire, geeking mages and hackers and doing other things while my character shoots things.

also drone rush is a viable strategy. Not now, though, i'll need dosh for that.
>>
>>43592229

The game's set in the Seattle, priority gen, max avail 12. The current party is an elf face, an elf unarmed combat street sam, a human mage, and a banshee street sam.

There have been difficulties getting onto the main plot, as the team's timezones are all over the place. The hacker recently left, and it'd be good to have that role filled for the next sesh.
>>
>>43593017
Sounds like you guys are also out an infiltrator
>>
>>43593056

No. The face has that pretty much covered. We need a hacker.
>>
>>43592139
>Cabrini Green
As far as I remember from Bug City, the area is either part of the anarchist-run Haymarket Nation, or overrun.

Sending them to bugland or trying to dump ghouls on the anarchist territory is perfectly in keeping with the UCAS.
>>
FUCK FUCK FUCK

Srg. I need some help, GM just dropped a bomb on us. Had a normal run, nothing out of the ordinary, we were robbing a corporate warehouse.

But, at the end of the run, we got to the payday (a lockbox we aren't supposed to open) and the GM says there's a body. First we ignore it, but face gets curious, examines him, GM rolls some knowledge checks.

It's fucking Damian Knight. AND THEN THE SESSION ENDED. FUCK.

Srg, what the hell did we just get ourselves into?
>>
>>43593616
Who the fuck's Damian Knight?
>>
>>43593719
One of the devs' pet billionaires, a chessmaster, master swordsman and gun nut who runs Ares after somehow manipulating the markets into a hostile takeover sometime in the 30s. Friend of the big D, banged the big D's widow, possibly.
>>
>>43593719
How new to SR are you?
>>
>>43593616
Gay. Might as well make it jesus
>>
>>43593751
I've been playing since 2nd Edition, but stopped at the end of 3rd's run. I'm just reluctantly getting in to 4th now, as 5th has really not impressed me at all. (4th hasn't either, but, it's the only thing I got.)
I just don't pay attention to any of the lore or metaplot in SR I'm sorry
>>
>>43593773
And then they have to travel across the former USA in a horse race to find the missing parts?
Sounds like a pretty good campaign
>>
>>43593802
It's easily forgettable honestly. I just play it because it's a cyber elfgame, not because the lore is amazing (for the most part it's nonsensical wanking at high tier bullshit by people who really should learn more about literally everything before they start trying to write in-depth about cultures and other shit)
>>
>>43593955
I just play it because it's the closest thing anyone runs to Cyberpunk 2020 anymore.
A lot of Shadowrun's lore is really just... Eh? (From what I remember) It's a bit too much about individuals rather than the masses, for my taste.
>>
>>43593995
Yeah. In general you want alienation and the masses and they all pump this great man bullshit.

It's kinda the same with at least 5e's gear tables honestly. It makes it really hard to find a justification that's not independently wealthy or former corpsec.
>>
>>43594080
That's not the first time I've heard about 5E having difficulties with Justification.
How so? I don't really get it (I haven't really read the books, mind you, only a small bit of the inane 16 page opening story and a little on combat rules.)
>>
>>43594098
It's been a problem since 2e (1e wasn't really a functional game) honestly which 4e mostly had tried to fixed with its slightly less retarded economy.

Useful decks that require you to dump enough to buy a permanent middle lifestyle is retirement money. Past that point and it's really hard to take all the "plight of the sinless" shit seriously.

No cyberpunk novel wanks over how much the hacker's magic laptop cost him. Most of them tend to focus on his skills, on the fact that he's a crazy fast typist, that he's good at solving logic problems fast, the more old school master hacker knows how to spoof a 56k modem just by doing some hacker a cappella magic. The software is uses might be highlighted, but stealing it or coding the damn thing is more likely than paying one million for Ares' latest Apple iHack.

I'd rather a cyberpunk system whose hacking chapter is literally about diy culture and how to write your shit, how to get the warez, the security scene, open-source in 4e was a nice nod to this but they made it inherently inferior anyway so fuck em
>>
>>43594227
Not to be ultrashill for a dead game, but 2020 does writing your own programs not terribly.

As for the economy, everything costs an assload, but really, I just justify it by saying most of it is stolen or otherwise obtained through non-monetary means. As an example, the 4E character I'm playing right now has Wired Reflexes 3. I'm fluffing it as them and their gang geeked a prime runner, then made off with his chrome. It's annoying-ish, but Shadowrun does like to deal with obscenely large amounts of NuYen.

If I am to shill for 2020 again, they do a good job balancing the money to make it seem reasonable. It's a lesser approach where you usually stick with money that you could see some downtrodden streetpunks possessing. Sorry for the spiel I know you guys hate 2020 and all that.
>>
>>43594227
The main problem with DIY in 4e was that the intervals for writing your own stuff was literally months, which is ridiculous when you think about it. Anyway, software piracy was a thing in 4e, and theft of what you need has been a thing since I can remember playing. I do not know why so many groups insist that Sams are "boned" because they need so much nuyen.

Shadowrunners are criminals. Start thinking like one and the problem solves itself.
>>
>>43594365
Could you point me to a resource containing those program creation rules? I could use it for reasons.
>>
>>43594419
Street rats do not make hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for extra expenses. I have been in a position a lot of countries would consider illegal, and my first priority wasn't putting together half a million USD for expensive upgrades, it was making rent.
>>
>>43594365
I did play CP2020 when I was a teen desu, well, something a bit like CP2020 since by that point Talsorian wasn't in the best of states and a lot of what I relied on was online material.
>>
>>43594470
No shit, that's exactly what I was insinuating. The cost factors in the SR books only matter if you're buying at chargen. Afterwards, you -should- be stealing what you need if it's in that price range, or making it yourself with the proper tools, which for programs are fairly minimal and can easily be pirated.

>>43594552
>teen desu

And all interest in CP2020 was lost.
>>
>>43594568
It's just the new word filters, senpai
>>
>>43594443
The time it takes to make programs is a little long, but I believe they rectify it in the Guide to the Net and Brainwave Blowout books of 2020, as well as add some neat new stuff for programming.

Anyways, I can't be bothered to find the pages in BB and Guide to the Net, but in the corebook it's pages 167-170 (170-173 using the PDF page numbering system)

Corebook: https://xarxasuportmutueixdreta.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/cyberpunk-2020-cp3002-core-manual-2nd-edition.pdf

I'm currently uploading Brainwave Blowout and Guide to the Net, incase you care.

>>43594552
>Online material
Achtung. Datafortress is complete trash, as is most other ones (Blackhammer isn't terrible I suppose, as it's just a bit of houserules that aren't the worst)

>>43594568
Can't control the people who play games. I'm sure there's just as many people like that who play the Running of Shadows.
>>
>>43594598
>Blackhammer
I was pretty much reliant on Blackhammer. It seemed cleaner, better made than the others and their rules seemed to make sense enough.

I did have a corebook to go by, every now and then (one of my friends had a beatup copy of that exactly link, also thanks for that)
>>
>>43594598
>>43594686
Guide to the Net: http://www.mediafire.com/view/dij46ekfjeywfcl/CP3241_-_Cyberpunk_2020_-_Rache_Bartmoss%27_Guide_to_the_Net_%28_%29_%5BQ3-MCMP%5D.pdf

Brainwave Blowout: http://www.mediafire.com/view/i8d26qpc7vo12h2/%5BSourcebook%5D_Rache_Bartmoss%27_Brainwave_Blowout.pdf

Incase you wanted them or something.

I should probably stop 2020 posting before the angry mob finishes gathering their pitchforks and torches
>>
File: new nintendo trid ds orxll.png (874 KB, 385x814) Image search: [Google]
new nintendo trid ds orxll.png
874 KB, 385x814
>>43594598
>>43594725
Null sweat, chummer. This might come in handy for some Matrix homebrew I'm working on. Trying to make Agents/Pilots less retarded, among other things.
>>
>>43594725
I suspect you could actually put together a really nice cyberpunk system if you went through SR and CP2020 and tried to fix the main glaring flaws that 80s-90s tabletop design tend to have, especially the hyper crunchiness that even the devs fail to understand the math for (and in the case of CP games the inability to look even remotely up to date tech wise; imo a game set in the future shouldn't look more backwards than the year it was released unless it's literally postapoc).

Someone suggested a modernized cybergeneration with less retarded writing would make a good basis for a new, CP game with mild fantasy elements, which I found an interesting idea.
>>
>>43594905
Cybergeneration was so horrid, I have no idea why anyone would suggest that.

As for tech, well, that's a matter of preference. I actually prefer Cyberpunk 2020's tech to modern cyberpunk tech, just for the style and feel it gives. That's also the reason why I like its lore and setting. I also feel like many neglect to realize that 2020 was written in 1989, and stopped its run in 95-ish, when they say it has " the inability to look even remotely up to date tech wise." Also the fact that most of the tech in 2020 is more advanced, and the only thing it's missing is smartphones and wireless. Aside from that, they're leagues ahead of us.

But hey, personal preference.

2020 isn't really that crunchy, atleast compared to Twilight 2k or something. It's no more than say, Shadowrun. I think it's another thing many blow out of proportion. I think 80s-90s tabletop flaws are no worse than modern day's, and it's really just subjective when you get down to it.

Not to sound like I'm playing Dance Dance 2020 Defence here, just saying things and whatever. And mildly expressing my anger that I'm one of the only few who prefers 80s/90s cyberpunk. Damn you modern wooooooorld!
>>
>>43594993
>stopped its run in 95-ish
This is something I never actually realized. My first game of CP was in 2000 and I thought it was still a published system.
>>
>>43594993
To be fair, none of us asked for this.
>>
>>43594993
I could definitely live with CP2020 + Smartphones honestly. Even though I admittedly like SR's metatypes.
>>
>>43595022
I was wrong there, its final book was in early 1997. The thing is they never progressed the timeline at all. No metaplot to be found, with the exception of the final two books (The Firestorm Series, which are collectively regarded as... Eh?). I believe the 2020verse ends with the end of the Fourth Corporate War in the year 2023 (SInce that's the storyline they ended 2020's run with, afterall). But again, most just set it in 2020, ignore the metaplot stuff, and keep the lore before that.

I feel like I'm rambling, so excuse that, I'm looking back and forth between a few things here and there, so you must excuse that.

>>43595073
>Wanting smartphones
Ugh
Egh
Oof
Ach
Eww
Call me a Luddite, I just hate smartphones in a stylistic sense so much. They just don't work for the 80s/90s Dark Future cyberpunk I dig.
>>
>>43595085
With if they were something bigger. Like a laptop or tablet with cellular access?
>>
>>43595095
It's not about size, it's about purpose. I don't exactly like the idea of facebook, or people being glued to their mobile devices, or really having mobile tech be necessary. They do have laptops with cellular, and decks with cellular in 2020, but something with the purpose and intent of a smartphone? Just doesn't fit. I think Smartphones are more reserved for the modern interpretation of the genre, where it's less about the collapse of society and the deconstruction of humanity, and more about subtle issues like privacy, freedom, etc.

A different tech for a different theme of a different time, so to say.

And not trying to tell you what you like and don't like here, but I have not once met someone who had a problem with 2020's tech level once they played a game in it. It's always great fun, really. (And that's including my tech-obsessed real life group, believe it or not.)

You can do interesting things without smartphones or modern tech, believe me. You've got this great alternate future (Because I'll face it, 2020 is infact an alternate history/future setting) tech to work with, and so much to do with it.

Sorry about rambling, once more.
>>
>>43595186
At the same time, wireless adds something to the collapse of society. Yes, cellular is heavy infrastructure, but low scale wireless? It can be diy as fuck, there's a reason wireless infrastructure in warzones is usually less shit than the main corporate lines.

idk, I like the idea of hackers improvising shit like better wireless antennas with complete trash, which is also a thing.
>>
>>43593017
What time zone is the 3PM referring to? And how long do your games run on average?
>>
I yearn for a sort of serious, post-cyberpunk RPG.

It starts in the real world, with groups on the Deep Net offering their services as "Hacker Companies", who take payment to hack shit, with their "employees" getting most of the cut, while the organization pockets part of the proceeds.

At first, this shit would get no news attention, because they'd be doing ho-hum corporate espionage stuff that barely registers as crime, and is mostly just a guy bullshitting his way into an office, then working on getting into the system after a month.

But then the Internet of Things happens. This shitty buzzword that gets thrown around by Wall St. types means a world where everything is connected to the internet. Footballs that send how fast they're going real-time, house-control functions becoming wide-spread as homes built in the 20th century are finally upgraded, improved methods of smartphone data collection, etc.

Now, it would be smart if the corporations gave a shit about security, but their greed boners would likely prevent them from spending too much money on securing literally all the shit that's connected to their servers.

And for a time, the hackers would be all-powerful. Anyone with the brains and balls to get into the systems that control our world's connected tech could do w/e they wanted.

Those hacker organizations I mentioned earlier? These guys would be hired by corps way more frequently, be much more efficient, and do much bigger stuff.

This is where the players would come in.
>>
>>43595301

EST. We try to shoot for 3 to 4 hours. On one hand, I don't mind trying to be flexible with times. On the other hand, if I have to listen to one more person trying to make me work aroudn their zany schedule because they work at absurd hours, or live on the other side of the planet, I will dip my balls in lava.
>>
>>43595239
I don't think it fits with the themes of Cyberpunk 2020. Again, you have the Cellular Net, but it doesn't have the same mainstream purpose as WiFi in real life. You don't have people complaining that they don't have cellular, and you don't have people tracking you with cellular or whatever. It's more a means to show a side of life the rich enjoy, while the poor generally stick to phone jacks.

You can have netrunners improvising programs and slapping together their own decks (Yes, there is rules for building cyberdecks). But in reality with 2020, it's more about what you do IN the net, rather than out of it. The sneaky ways you break in to Dataforts, how you get passed the IC in it, cracking open files, disabling cameras, etc, etc. Though, breaking in to corporate facilities to use their isolated net grids and all that is of course a thing.

I think you're getting the DIY Net stuff from real life "cyberpunks" (If you could call those posers cyberpunks). Hardly was the DIY stuff present in cyberpunk novels, and when it was it was usually other tech, rather than computing.

But hey, whatever you want.

>>43595321
>Everything connected to the net
Might as well kill myself now.
>>
Is there a ware equivalent of vash's shotgun arm?
Could be useful for a Face
>>
>>43593616
>It's fucking Damian Knight.

You mean the body double of Damian Knight with distraction stealth tags implanted all over the body hiding the real, MAD defeating tracking device made of ceramic circuitry? Yeah.
>>
>>43595372
The little SMG? Just a bog-standard cybergun.
>>
>>43595350

Why would that be a bad thing? Obviously it could cause problems, but the benefits outweigh the cons.
>>
File: Vashs-big-gun.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Vashs-big-gun.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
>>43595372
???
>>
How does the cyberarm gyromount work? Does it reduce recoil by 3, 6 or 18?
>>
>>43595404
M-muh 80s/90s cyberpunk style
M-muh Luddism
M-muh dark future

I'm the asshole who wants Cyberlimbs so that people can look stylish with chrome, and could care less about amputees and the like. Style over substance, and to me, everything connected to the net just doesn't seem cool.
>>
>>43595350
I'm mostly getting the DIY from early punk ethics. Which I always feel is lacking. Raging against the system also means replacing the system; this is one thing where I like what SR anarchists end up being since they do have ridiculously organized street medic and prisoner support networks by the 2070s rather than just being ineffectual teens (there's both degrees irl too, although without as much need to something as big as what AB+/ABC does in SR)
>>
>>43595394
Thought it was a shotgun
>>43595406
The other arm
>>
File: 180px-Net_throll.jpg (11 KB, 180x244) Image search: [Google]
180px-Net_throll.jpg
11 KB, 180x244
Planning to start my 5th ed game soon, all I have left is to read through mage \ adept rules. So, questions:

What are 5th ed's infamously weak \ broken points regarding these archetypes?

Which overpowered stuff should I be waiting from players and are there already some homerules toning it down?
>>
>>43595439
Cyberpunk's actually been fairly light on the "Punk" aspect. It's a bit of a misnomer if anything, as nihilism seems to be the more prevalent philosophy(?). Just look at Hardwired, or even Neuromancer. It may be vaguely disguised as some anarchist movement, but the tones to it are very nihilistic.

I mean, even Cyberpunk 2020 had Neo-Nihilism as a big thing (Along with Neo-Luddism and TechnoHumanism, which contrary to what you may thing, isn't transhumanism).
>>
>>43595434

Then we're both asshole. I'm one that gets annoyed by style over substance, and tries to put as much verisimilitude as possible into fictional settings.
>>
>>43595454
Mystic Adepts need 5 karma per adept power point, this has been erratted. It used to be 2.

Extensively read over how spirits and mana barriers work.
>>
>>43595488
Well, it's not that one is more "realistic" than the other, because I could see both. A world obsessed with aesthetics and style, with social standing and the like (Old cyberpunk(Mind you there still is function in there, it's just most do things for the style aspect, while remaining functional)) or one with functionality, form, etc (New Cyberpunk)

Just different views, really. Neither is really more plausible or objectively better than the other.
>>
>>43595488
I actually like doing both and find that realism is both substance and style. Fashion and design are equally as important as the actual functionality of the end result. Sure you could run with a prototype built in a wooden cigar box but... well there's a fashion statement even there.
>>
>>43595454
the only really fucking broken mechanic is the quickening shit.

Depending on what parts of which book you read, quickened (self sustained) spells get dispelled either as soon as the background count changes, OR if the background count is higher than their force.

Its a power that needs some serious checking by the DM, else you will have the mage player run around with jokery shit like a quickened, edged increase reflexes, having 18+5D6 initiative permanent.
>>
>>43595518

Old cyberpunk is less plausible than post. It just is. All the big things it predicts (space travel, augmentations, an ultra-violent society completely dominated by corporations) haven't come true, while the things they thought wouldn't change (a wired net not used by the general public, lunatics who care more about looking cool and being frothing neo-anarchists than, y'know, living a full life while making rational decisions in their best interest).

Shit like Neuromancer and 2020 are infuriating in how dated they are.
>>
>>43595579
>What is Dispelling
>>
File: Swedenfrogs.png (16 KB, 477x539) Image search: [Google]
Swedenfrogs.png
16 KB, 477x539
>>43595633
>he doesn't know the dispelling rules

Baka, trying to dispell a high-enough quickened spell will literally kill you or at least give you some major physical drain.
>>
>>43595598
A society dominated by corporations and getting somewhat violent in terms of warfare is a lot closer to it than not. Warfare since the end of the cold war has been in regions where it would have been unthinkable during it.

Also buying into the system only seems like a rational decision in your best interest if you believe in a version of Pascal's wager that applies to people whose sole priority is a bottom line.
>>
>>43591176
In most nations, Ghouls have no rights.
In the UCAS and CAS there's an outstanding bounty on all HMHVV infected individuals.

Some assholes purposefully infect Gangers, keep them in cages, then shoot them and try to claim the bounty.
>>
>>43595598
Fine, let me rephrase, looking at each genre in their respective time periods, they're each as plausible from the standard person's viewpoint.

I think disliking things just because how dated they are is a very good way to limit yourself in the media you take in. Neuromancer, 2020, Hardwired, all that, VERY entertaining works of fiction. Though perhaps I shouldn't be the one talking, considering I very much dislike modern concepts, aesthetics, and themes, generally avoiding anything containing those like the plague.

It's some subjective stuff, everyone likes their things, whatever. I like Cyberpunk, you like Post-Cyberpunk, that jerkoff over there likes Fantasy, and Tom from accounting likes Hard Space SciFi because he's a nerd or something.
>>
>>43595447
Other arm, yeah, should have figured, sorry.
>>
>>43595660
>PC Mage: I'm going to cast Increase Reflexes on myself at Force 1, using Edge to bypass the Limit. I'll then quicken that! Now I'm Sonic forever!
>NPC Mage gets one hit on a Counterspelling Test and resists 1 Stun Drain
Whoopty fucking do. Either your PC casts the spell at a low enough Force that the NPC has to basically sneeze for the spell to fall over, or they've thrown so much karma into it that dispelling it removes several runs worth of karma with nothing to show for it.
>>
>>43595454
The mage and adept rules? Read them a few times if you're GMing. The magic rules have are weaker the more you know about them, (similarly the matrix rules are weaker the less you know about them) so don't be intimidated and prepare to read through that chapter a few times. The fact that you have to bind to foci, even in chargen, escaped me for months, and had I been running the game instead of playing it, this probably would have made magic very unbalanced.

That said, Spirits from the part of PCs can be very strong, what with their powers, their inmunity to normal weapons, and so. Mental manipulation spells can throw GMs for a loop, and me personally I still don't know how to deal with them, (hoping someone else can tell me), for now I just pray my (future) players don't find out about them.

The system has tools you can use to bring them down. Setting-wise, everyone that sees someone casting shit (and realizes it's magic) will probably put their focus on the mage or adept. Street Grimoire has the rules for Background Counts, which you can dish out as you see fit. Essentially areas that impose penalties on magic and magically aided actions. Usually born from strong emotions, lots of violence, etc. Wards can make their life tough. Challenging the mage is not very hard, in my opinion. Just look out for adepts completely breaking the metric with their single 20+ dicepool, or shamans putting like 5 spirits in the field at once and you're set.
>>
>>43595733
No worries, easy mistake to make
>>
>>43595695
>I think disliking things just because how dated they are is a very good way to limit yourself in the media you take in.
To be honest I don't do that, I play typical fantasy RPGs. I just kinda like some modernity. I mean, I'm not plugged on facebook daily irl and barely keep up with other social media, and I actually like information overload as a way to drown out important things. Mass media is very good at passing off important, world changing shit as less important than minor celebrity news or shit that would be better off in the crime section of a local paper.
>>
>>43579562
Magic is also junk science anon.
>>
>>43595818
Considering only hermeticists try to even do magic as a science, I do agree.
>>
File: zbraňožabiak.png (34 KB, 550x539) Image search: [Google]
zbraňožabiak.png
34 KB, 550x539
>>43595738
>Force 1
Yeah nah, you obviously know jackshit

Just cast a Spell with Force 10 and give the dispeller a fuck in the mind.
>>
>>43595813
Information overload is still a thing in older cyberpunk, it's just delivered in a different manner.

And again, I'm some weird guy who just dislikes the modern ideals, tech, etc, so in some weird backwords way I get what you're saying.
>>
>>43595841
>You don't have to spend Karma equal to the Force
Well, fuck me. God damn it CGL, why would you change that?
>>
File: Adolfrogs.png (68 KB, 2250x2167) Image search: [Google]
Adolfrogs.png
68 KB, 2250x2167
>>43595918
Because CGL knows jackshit about numbers and optimizing, making most rules by a rule-of-thumb
>>
>>43595670

>> Implying corps aren't both pandered to and smacked down these days.
>> Implying the govt. is a slave to the corps.
>> Implaying a corp could ever be more powerful than a govt.

I limit my media to things with high verisimilitude because anything else is dreadful to watch. Like superheroes. Who cares if you never watch things you're not going to like anyway?
>>
>>43596096
>>> Implying the govt. is a slave to the corps.
Do you have the slightest notion of how small the line of separation between the political class and the upper tiers of corporate management is?
>>
>>43596129

Yes. Do you? Because if the Fed really wanted to, it could hike interest rates and absolutely kill corporate America's line of credit, at the drop of a hat. Anyone they don't like, they can have their taxes audited, or brought in on trumped-up charges.

A corrupt govt. that gets buddy-buddy with rich people is nothing new, but our govt right now intervenes a lot in economic matters.

I'm not saying corporate America doesn't have a lot of influence on our politics (they do). I'm saying we are not living in a cyberpunk society with impotent governments and all-powerful corporations, because the govt. enjoys dicking over corporations on occasion.
>>
>>43597326
>the fed
Oh god one of those
>>
>>43595509
>>43595579
>>43595754
Thanks!
>>
File: 53511101_p0.jpg (1 MB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
53511101_p0.jpg
1 MB, 1300x1300
we entering /pol/ territory now
>>
>>43578383
why not just get used adapsin? its 12 availability used. and dont forget to go adept and burn the fuck out with burnout's way for free alphaware quality.
>>
>>43598651
>used transgenics
Just no, that's almost as bad as used cultured
>>
File: Sans.png (21 KB, 178x172) Image search: [Google]
Sans.png
21 KB, 178x172
So i was thinking...

What if you had a Shadowrun who did Meta shit like Sans in Undertale.

Like say they cast Hush on a player... now they can't talk even in real life unless its dispelled or the wizard fails a composure test after taking damage.

What could be some Meta shit you could do in Shadowrun to fuck with players?
>>
>>43598712
You mean impossible?
>>
>>43598736
I mean you're not going to get useful amounts of it by draining someone's corpse of blood.
>>
>>43598788
Well you can't have used cultured Bioware.

It has to be grown using your own biometrics
>>
>>43595579
What is an Astral Barrier?

Quickened spells can get wrecked by a barrier just like any normal spell.

It can get... Disrupted like an active foci

Also...

Sir why do you have Quickened Increased Reflexes while walking around in the street on a normal day?

Uuuuh....
>>
>>43598712
with their level of tech do you think it's that much a stretch that they could rewrite genetics? or repurpose bioware? honestly, if they can program the stuff into you in the first place then it stands to reason they can do it to someone else.
>>
>>43599052
I'm fine with the idea of some bioware being interchangeable. Cultured usually implies shit related to the nervous system though, which I'm fine requiring extreme tailoring for. I just don't see how they would get used transgenics considering it's basically low tier genetic therapy to make your body produce these proteines.
>>
>>43595413
Where did you get 18?
>>
>>43598716
Fucking Undertales fans. Jesus we fucking get you like the game but this constant injection of it into everything is retarded.
>>
>>43599141
The idea of entering meta into tabletop games seemed interesting to me I never played the game before. I heard that the character straight up destroys your attack button so you can't fight him and other shit.
>>
>>43598044
I guess in the future they've discovered a way to work bras into sheer, form-fitting fabric, because there's no way that level of perk and clothing-hugging is natural.
>>
>>43598716
Meta shit in tabletop is best reserved for comical games. For example, in a paranoia module based around spam, they have a bunch of printout spam emails you can crumple into balls and throw at your players heads whenever things get to serious.
>>43599187
Nah, although he does attack you when you select the attack button sometimes.
>>
File: 1437179522566.jpg (255 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1437179522566.jpg
255 KB, 750x1000
Hey, in Chummer how do you add vision mods to helmets and ballistic masks? Papa need his smarklink.
>>
>>43599608
right click the helmet and add as plugin
>>
File: Sorry.gif (791 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
Sorry.gif
791 KB, 245x245
>>43599670
I was trying to find it under Armour Mod, not Gear; thanks.
>>
File: 1395249702001.jpg (13 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1395249702001.jpg
13 KB, 225x225
>>43598834
HERPDERPFUCKIDIDERP

Read the fucking rules on what it exactly it takes to disrupt a quickened spell via a ward or barrier before shitting around

>Check
Read the fucking rules on what it takes to assense the explicit spell

also:
>implying there is a fucking competent enough mage on every random checkpoint to check this
>implying increased reflexes is somewhat illegal and you would need more than a simple active magic user license for it (hint: its a health spell, not a combat spell)
>implying you know about what you are talking instead of blubbering heresay and random shit that might have been true in older editions

Just go away and read a few rules books
>>
>>43598716
>What could be some Meta shit you could do in Shadowrun to fuck with players?

Don't
Just don't
>>
>>43595342
I might be able to join this, if it's still open and with the knowledge that I will absolutely have to leave by 7, preferably 6:30 so I can actually eat before the other game I have Friday nights. Then it's only a question of if I can handle 9 hours of Shadowrun in one day. But that'll probably be fine.

Also, where is this game on the scale of pink mohawk to black trenchcoat? I'm assuming 5th ed because you mentioned priority.
>>
>>43600384
>Priority
No he's definitely talking about 2nd or 3rd edition there.
Fuck I wish.
>>
>>43599905
>competent enough mage

Spells glow brightly in the astral bruh

>Hurr its a health spell

Yeah it affects your health by improving your body.

But im sure most mages don't use it in a fucking hospital tehy use it for combat
>>
File: taimu sutoppu.png (49 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
taimu sutoppu.png
49 KB, 512x384
>>43600890
>im sure most mages don't use it in a fucking hospital
I wouldn't be so sure about that
>>
>>43583380
>>43583380
You are not reading Attribute Boost correctly.
Boost X does not increase X attribute, it adds to the skill dicepools if they are related to X attribute.
Boost body will increase your freefall dicepool, boost strength will increase your running dicepool.
You will not hit harder or get hit less.
>>
>>43598651
You can't get adapsin as used, genetech doesn't take grades.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.