[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50
File: imuge.jpg (332 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
imuge.jpg
332 KB, 1024x768
Cant think of a title edition

Links:

>Rules databases

https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

https://kickass.to/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>Novels Archive

https://mega.co.nz/#F!vAQkADhB!1RaGDBHigHrd67SvpGHlEw

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V5.pdf

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

FAQ’s
http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V6.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index
>>
inb4 OP is a fag for not having a title.
>>
File: 1447085269881.jpg (34 KB, 318x336) Image search: [Google]
1447085269881.jpg
34 KB, 318x336
First. Eldar did nothing wrong.
>>
>>43571907
>still copy and pasting the novels archive link
Holy shit it's been dead for nearly half a year now.
>>
>>43571907
How do I get started with Warhammer 40k? I know nothing. Do I just pick up the 7th edition and read it?
>>
Right as the last thread ended I asked if anyone from earlier is still in here but I had asked for help with my Space Wolves 1000 list because I am new.

When I showed it to the GW employee and two of the people playing there they basically accused me of netdecking and being too WAAC.

>>43562666

This is the list.

When I first came in and bought my codex, paints,templates and wolflord on wolf he said they were starting a winter league for 1000 pts geared towards newer players.
>>
>>43571929
So has been the Emperor, yet the faith of the Imperials will not falter.
>>
File: compensator class dread.jpg (68 KB, 654x720) Image search: [Google]
compensator class dread.jpg
68 KB, 654x720
what you guys think about recasts? I got some shit from china and russia for pretty cheap, well cheap compared to forge world. I have never gotten any before so i got a sample from each country so I can compare. Does anyone have any? Thoughts on quality, morality?
>>
Do Chaos Space Marine Aspiring Champions have bolters?
>>
Land Raiders, worth the points cost? If yes, when? Good for Blood Angels when I also have Stormravens?
>>
>>43571945
Read some lore, find a faction you like, see your budgit, buy some models, paint bad, continue to paint bad till you paint well, voila, you are into Warhammer 40k.

Now if you are here for a compeditive game, time for you to find a new game.
>>
>>43571956
Some recasts can be amazing. Fuck GW for price hiking. I fully encourage gettimg models second hand or recasted if it gets GW to bring down their prices.
>>
Which Chaos Legion is the best and why is it the clever manipulative shits known as the Word Bearers?
>>
>>43571956
morally it is a very grey area

GW and FW models are a super premium, though the premium-ness varies a lot. Please consider supporting the companies if you enjoy their products.

I've seen good recast and a lot of shit recasts.

GW has far more resources than the re-casters, that is for sure, and as of late GWs plastic sculpts have been top notch.

Personally I've always been on the fence about forge world. It is nice stuff but it has a lot of hard lines. The paint jobs on their web store are not very flattering either.
>>
>>43571945

You have to understand that 40k as a hobby is much more than a game. A lot of the time spent will be assembling and painting models.

My first suggestion would b checking out the Wiki and 1dchan, maybe watching some BatReps (make sure its 7e) to see some gameplay.

Obviously you can just torrent the big rulebook so you can read the fluff there and slowly understand the rules.

Once you feel a bit more comfortable with your knowledge start thinking about what army you would enjoy. Look at their modes, read the lore and make sure you like them for that reason first.

NOW you can download a Codex and read even more fluff and see even more models. Since you should understand a datasheet by now you can compare units and start thinking of a list.

At the very least you will need one HQ (leader) and two troop choices. Each army is different.

Most Games Workshops and some FLGS will play demo games to show you. If you are looking into the hobby find the location of either of these stores ASAP.
>>
>>43572009
That's not how you spell Night Lords
>>
>>43571956
>>43572003
zhanchui's last batch of stuff i got was fucking ass, major mold slips and missing pieces
need me another guy, how is CCON compared to zhanchui?
and has wardream been around, or did he ded?
>>
>>43571951
What the fuck is "netdecking"

Those people, especially the GW employee, are absolute morons. The list is in no way un-fluffy, OP, WAAC or Cheesey.

God I fucking HATE Games-Workshop. What exactly did they say is wrong with it?
>>
>>43571945
Painting and assembling models is a lot of fun. If you wanna just play, i would recommend going on ebay or something and waiting until you can find a nice little force for 200$ or something that way you can play games and paint as you need to. some people get overwhelmed buy painting and assembling that they never play a game so if you wanna skip that buy somebody elses failed dreams for cheap
>>
>>43571960
They have a bolt pistol and CCW by default, but you can replace any of these with a bolter for free.
>>
>>43571945
Naturally, all of the advice you've gotten so far sucks dick. But only because it's out of order

The first thing you should do, before you read anything, is go on the Games-Workshop site and browse every faction. The one that you fall in love with, the one your gut tells you "yes, this is me, this is my army" is the one you start to collect.

Then you do what all of the others are saying. Read, buy, paint, play, enjoy.
>>
>>43572028

Netdecking is bringing a top8 deck in magic just to bring a top8 deck. I have never heard it in 40k.
>>
>>43572060

So right off the bat, those should be abortions at the GW store are using a totally irrelevant and incorrect term.
>>
>>43572046
I don't see any text about getting a bolter

>Power Armour
>Boltgun
>Bolt Pistol
>Close Combat Weapon (Champion Only)
>Frag Grenades
>Krak Grenades

>Any space marine may take a close combat weapon (2pts/model)
>or replace his boltgun (free)

That kind of makes it sound like all the marines (including the Champion) have a boltgun and bolt pistol, but the Champion gets a free close combat weapon. Once upon a time though that was absolutely not how it was though, so I ask.
>>
>>43572003
Ya I mean, i dont really have it in my budget to get some of the really cool forge world stuff, gw loves keeping price high here where i live,
>>43572013
ive played 40k for a while and spent way to much money on it haha. i obvi support GW's but im not scared of trying other guys for some cool models. i found 2 sonic dreadnoughts with weapons on ebay in the package from FW, so i have those to compare
>>43572027
desu man i know nothing about the recasters besides what i have read on forums. i just got the shit from ebay, chinese guy was stephen3478547 or some shit
>>
>>43571951
There is nothing wrong with that list at all.

Had you taken 3 squads of TWC and 3 squads of Long Fangs AND the 195 point Wolf Lord that is 3+/3++ S7 AP2 Rending A6(+3 if out numbered, so A9) T5 W4.

Then yeah, that'd have been cheesy.
>>
>>43572015
>>43571945
this guy gets it. also, considering just spending 200$ or so for an army off of ebay or locally using Kijiji or craigslist. a lot of people sell whole armies for cheap so keeping your eyes open can help keep your wallet heavy
>>
>>43572028

Things I remember from the GW employee:

>Bringing 4 storm shields may be overkill
>I can't believe you knew to split your weapons like that
>Did you find this list on a forum

Things I remember from the Ork Player:

>4 Rhinos in a 1000pt game is a bit much
>I wouldn't want face it if I were new
>Most people are bringing named characters as their HQ to be more fluffy, why not do that?

Things I remember from the Grey Knights Player:

>You should try different units then just the popular ones to see what you like.
>Bringing so much melta will make you seem like a tryhard.

Plus they were trying to quiz me on why I brought what I brought like I was some sort of idiot. The Grey player even said he was surprised a new player could make a well rounded list.
>>
>>43572090
This is correct. They all have a Bolter and a Bolt Pistol. So they get +1A from having two melee weapons.

There is lots of these examples around, so it isn't a mistake. For example, Honour Guard (I think) have Bolter and Power Weapon, but also Bolt Pistol. So they always have +1A.

It only doesn't apply if the unit wargears are split up. It's a bit like why the Orks and Necrons don't get to take more than one Relic per model from their codex, but everybody else can (though they can take one relic from their supplements and normal codex on one char, which is all you need for Necrons).

Or what about Forge Worlds 30k Red Butchers? They have Bolt Pistol and Chainaxe. You can swap their Bolt Pistol for a Chainaxe for free. But why would you? You always get the +1A anyway. Yes, they're BS2, but you're still going to get SOME hits with their pistols.
>>
>>43571929
FAQ&Errata link is also outdated, it should be replaced with:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Rules-Errata
>>
>>43572131
>Bringing so much melta will make you seem like a tryhard.

Yeah fuck that nigger, I bet he had a Dreadknight up his ass while he said it
>>
>>43572131

Well, you're on /tg/ and you're getting help from experienced players. Fuck those guys. They even said it was well-rounded.

Absolutely keep both Tac units in Rhino's. The Dev's you could probably leave out if you feel bad about it.

Keep the TWC, it's a must have and you only have three for fucks sake.
>>
>>43572159
Meaning leave them out of the Rhino's, not the list. You should keep long range support in the list.
>>
>>43572131
>>43572159
>not using my 195 Wolf Lord build to rape their faces to piss them off

It's what I'd do.
>>
>>43572151
not quit was I was referring to but right enough

specifically, aspiring champions are always modeled with a pistol and melee weapon. Do they actually get to keep their bolter in this edition (it is a little vague but the wording suggests they do) or is that for the rank-and-file only?
>>
>>43572159

As helpful as /tg/ was the only changes were to add the TWC with storm shields and Long Fangs. I bounced ideas off people but I choose the wargear and stuff myself.

I don't feel bad about anything, from my understanding of lurking here for the last month as I prepared to get into the hobby I know Space Wolves aren't ultra competitive.

I've already talked to two other new players who were in there while I was watching their 750 game and they are playing Necrons and Ultramarines.
>>
>>43572191

195? What am I missing? Mine is 190:

Wolf Lord (190pts)
Thunderwolf, Warlord
Power Armour
Storm Shield, Wolf Claw
>>
>>43572207
>as helpful as /tg/ was the only changes were to add the TWC with storm shields and

I know, I was the one who told you that desu senpai ;)

You didn't know what TWC stood for, remember? ;)

- Your guardian /tg/ furry angel
>>
>>43572221
>wolf claw
>no pfist/thunder hammer/krakenbone sword
>>
I I use my pathfinders as bait and I want them more for their Ion/Rail rifles, should I give them a Bonding Knife?
>>
>>43572237
>>43572221

he's right desu senpai
>>
>>43572237

and here I am wasting points on Melta Bombs, thanks anon.
>>
>>43572131
Sounds like they were either expecting a easy win over a new player or that they had some goofy dysfunctional "fun" list on their mind. 40k is funny game in that aspect that some people play it like it's a game like poker or football where playing as good as you can along the rules is the way to go and some play it like narrative/interactive show with some plastic armydude props and dice.
>>
>>43572131

I hope theres an flgs near you. Those guys sound kinda shitty, and if the redshirt was part of it, thats not a good sign.

When I first started getting into 40k, I bought from and played at the GW. I was fielding CSM in rhinos and getting waxed by the regulars every week. Taudar, Deathwing, Flying Circus, you name it. It was a waac meta full of douches. When I showed up with a Fire Raptor one week, the redshirt said I couldnt use it in store w/o permission in advance. All the regulars then proceeded to give me shit for 'trying to bring cheese' etc. The redshirt told me FW was cheesy and I shouldnt bring it.

I started going to the flgs and the crowd is so much better. Casual and competitive players. Mostly friendly. Cool staff and friendly regulars.

Try to avoid GW stores if possible.
>>
>>43572267

If he wanted me to play fluffy he would have told me to buy the Bjorn I was looking at and not suggest the lord on wolf. Come to think of it he was also pushing me to buy Rhinos and a Stormfang (which /tg/ later told me would've been bad in a 1000pt game) as well.
>>
>>43572267
>>43572265
>>43572207
>>43572131

Additonally, even though the list is good, the codex is under powered as it is so these options are kind of must haves.

The list also has counters: you have no psychic, you have one deathstar that could be tarpitted, rhinos are extremely easy to pop, you have no deep strike, you're relatively short ranged, except for your death star you will have trouble in most assaults
>>
>>43572131

Holy fuck, don't listen to them. I could sperg out right now about all the things wrong with what they said. If you can help it just don't fucking play there if these kids get assmad at a Space Wolves list like yours.
>>
>>43572221
Wolf Lord: 105 points
Storm Shield (3++): 15 points
Black Death (+2S AP2 +3A when out numbered): 25 points
Thunder Wolf (+1S +1T +1W +1A +Rending to all melee attacks) 50 points

S4+1+2 = S7, AP2 weapon, Rending from TW. +3A when outnumbered (which isn't hard) +1A on charge AND +1A when recieving charge due to CA. +1A from TW. So 6A base, charging or not. Then you get +3A when outnumbered.

Stick him in a squad of 3 TWC with Storm Shields. You'll be outnumbered by pretty much every troop choice in the game. Yes, you're Unwieldy, but with W4 and T5 3++ you shouldn't have a problem killing most things. Use the 3 TWC as ablative wounds.

If you want to go cuh-razy. Put Wulfen Stone on Wolf Lord, gives him Furious Charge (+1S on charge, so now S8) and Rage (so +1A, so does 10A when outnumbered, 7A when not). Oh and it also gives Furious Charge to your TWC guys, so they go up to S6. It's 40 points though.

Want to go cuh-razier? In the Champions of Fenris codex, there is a armour which is 2+/4++, gives IWND, Relentless but you can't make Sweeping Advances. If you want to, drop the Storm Shield (you lose 3++, but 4++ isn't bad) and gain IWND. And this means you end up with ANOTHER attack due to having a pistol + melee weapon. So you now do 11A when outnumbered and 9 when you're not. At S8 AP2 Rending. But it's 40 points.

By then you're looking at 270 points or so. So, I wouldn't recommend it. 195 is fine and is better than most Lord of Wars. As I said, only down-side is Unwieldy, hence the TWC support.
>>
File: Blood_Angels_symbol.jpg (73 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
Blood_Angels_symbol.jpg
73 KB, 250x248
So this is my first Blood Angels army, and my first army I've made. The list is semi-tentative, as I've already bought and/or assembled more than half of it. I've talked with my veteran player friend about it and done pretty well playing against my other newbie friends, so I'd like to see how it holds up.

/blogshit here's the list:

Blood Angels--1850 Point Army

Combined Arms Detachment--

>HQ

Sanguinary Priest (Attached to Sanguinary Guard)
-Jump Pack
-Lightning Claw

>Troops

Tactical Squad x5
-Heavy Flamer
-Combi-Flamer (Sarge)
-Dedicated Transport Drop Pod

Cassor the Damned

>Elites

Sanguinary Guard x5
-Enarmine Sword x3
-Encarmine Axe x1
-Power Fist x1
-Chapter Banner

Death Company Squad x5
-Jump Packs
-Thunder Hammer x1
-Power Sword x1

Furioso Dreadnought
-Frag Cannon
-Magna-Grapple

>Fast Attack

Assault Squad
-Jump Packs
-Melta Gun x2
-Melta Bombs x1 (Sarge)

Assault Squad
-Melta Gun x2
-Combi-Melta x1 (sarge)

Razorback
-Lascannon and Twin-Linked Plasma Gun
-Dozer Blade

>Heavy Support

Predator
-Lascannon x2 (Pair)
-Overcharged Engines
-Dozer Blade
Allied Detachment [Imperial Fists]--

>HQ

Librarian (Attached to Sternguard)
-Force Stave
-Lv. 2 Psyker
-Combi-Plasma Gun

>Troops

Tactical Squad x5
-Plasma Gun x1
-Combi-Plasma x1 (Sarge)

>Elites

Sternguard Veteran Squad x5 (Embarked in Razorback)
-Combi-Grav x3

>Fast Attack

Stormtalon Gunship
-Skyhammer Missile Launcher
I know that the DC and Sang Guard are kind of redundant, but I like both units too damn much.
>>
>>43572301
Because Rhinos are a fantastic must have option for most space marine armies
>>
File: 23472304123.gif (28 KB, 91x90) Image search: [Google]
23472304123.gif
28 KB, 91x90
>>43571956
I have no problem with them, as long as it's in moderation. I may hate GW for being price gouging dickbags, but I do need my plastic crack, and I don't want them to go under.

I usually use recasts as a sort of Blockbuster for Mini's service - if I see a model line I'm curious about, I'll snag the cheap version. If I like the piece/the line enough, I'll throw my local FLGS some money, to keep them floating.
>>
>>43572314
See, don't do this. Then they have a legitimate point in calling you out on a lame list.
>>
>>43571969
bumping this question
>>
>>43572320

But then he nods with the Ork player telling me not to bring 4 rhinos.

I knew they were good either way since I see them in every batrep that has a space marine near it.

>>43572314

Black Deat > Powerfist

I will screenshot your advice for later, every month of the tournaments it goes up 250 points so I will have more room for wargear in January. Probably will bring your crazy lord build and another 3 TWC

>>43572310

but anon, you are sperging out. and I appreciate the sentiment

>>43572288

If there is a FLGS I haven't found it yet.
>>
>>43572366

meant league not tournament
>>
>>43572366
Yep, Rhinos are good. But for your Furry Devs? Can they disembark and shoot their heavy weapons?

They are probably better off hunkering down in some 4+ cover with good LOS and you spending some points elsewhere, if not.
>>
So, what's better? Take just 3 riptides, each in its own elite slot, or combine them in 1 squad with bs boost?
>>
>>43572341
That's why I said do it to piss them off. The guys list isn't cheesy at all, show them what TRUE cheddar looks like.

>>43571956
Do it. It becomes 'morally' (kek, morals) wrong when you buy dozens of £200+ models for £50 or whatever.

You want a couple of Knights or Super Heavies? Go for it. Want that Warhound Titan? Go for it.

But when you buy 20 Baneblade Variants, 20 Knight Titans and couple of Warlord Titans for the same price as a single FW Warlord, you're getting into bullshit areas.

But this is my personal opinion, I've been screwed over in another hobby I used to have by 10 year olds downloading copy cards from the internet and cheating. So, I'm biased.

But this is, I guess, different. So go for it mate.
>>
>>43572386
You can combine them into squads now? What the fuck?

See, the Kauyon book doesn't have this in. It mentions Fire Support or whatever the +1BS rule is, but doesn't mention Riptides being able to combine now.

So... I can now take MORE Riptides than ever!
>>
>>43572386
-Do you need elite slots for something else?
-How good is your markerlight support?
-Are you expecting deathstars and/or massed Instant Death/D-weapons. Tying up 3 riptides gives them crazy good offensive potential thanks to lessened markerlight demand and that free +1 bs but it restricts their movement and all this ~600p ball of death is conveniently in one unit for the enemy to deal with.
>>
>>43572384

but if there isn't cover in my deployment zone I have to footslog there if there are any left if I'm not going first. Additionally the rhinos provide cover to hide behind when they deploy. Don't think they can shoot heavy weapons after disembarking but I would have to double check.
>>
>>43572410
Yup, you can.
>>
HQ: x1 Etheral
Troop: x6 Fire Warriors
Elite: x3 Riptides
Heavy: x3 R'varna Riptides
Fast Attack: x3 Y'vahra Riptides

Ally Detachment: Farsight Enclaves
HQ: Farsight, x1 Other, Riptide HQ

MWhahahaha. BOW DOWN TO SUPERIOR FIREPOWER. 36 Riptides! Fuck Marker Lights!

Do Double FOC's still exist? If so, just double this to 72 Riptides iirc how they work.

Battleforged baby.
>>
File: 1447094602263.jpg (69 KB, 640x701) Image search: [Google]
1447094602263.jpg
69 KB, 640x701
>>43572431
I thought this would be the response, so see >>43572437 as my response.

Oh and this picture.
>>
>>43572421

If there isn't cover or terrain in your deployment zone, you're not really playing on a real table / you're playing on a really, really shitty table. 40K games usually have 25%-30% of the board covered in terrain.

Your GW store sounds like it sucks, hit your city's reddit or something and find a FLGS or a group of guys who want to play for real. You're not in Chicago by chance are you?
>>
>>43572437
If I saw the player across from me unpacking this shit in a pickup game I would decline the game without reservation.
>>
>>43572318
Not a bad list, battle brother. Cassor is amazing if you don't mind the point cost. I love running him up to bi squads and challenging sergeants- especially since most of the guys I play with seem to forget he's a character. I also love Dante and you should consider getting him at some point. You already have most of the stuff you need to run an amazing "honor guard" squad for the Lord Commander. Dante with a squad of Sanguinary guard and a jump pack priest is awesome- you can always throw in a librarian too for lols if you have points to spare. That squad charging and using Hit & Run is so much fun. For Sanguinius and the Emperor!
>>
>>43572318
>>43572508
Running Dante with a squad of Death Company is also good if you don't have the points to spend on a priest or sanguinary guard.
>>
>>43572454

Not that Anon but I am the newer Dread Mob player who is switching to Dark Angels because the GW out in Downer's Grove won't let me run forgeworld in stuff. Know anything in the south side suburbs?
>>
>>43572206
>>43572151
>>43572090
>>43572046
>>43571960
I never got a concrete answer but I am leaning towards yes since RAW seem to learn more that way, despite the models, and old editions, almost always done otherwise.
>>
>>43572454

Unfortunately not, Missouri.
>>
>>43572532

Come to the city on Wednesday nights. We have a place called the Chicagoland Games Dice Dojo. Every wednesday we play 40k. tournaments once a month.
>>
>>43572508
Thanks, I tried to cover my bases. It's gone through numerous revisions (added melta when vehicles started stomping my dudes at 500, and got anti-air after getting massacred by tyranid flyers at 1000), but I feel like I got it pretty well-rounded at this point.

I'll probably try to find a way to chuck in Dante for a 2000 point game, because I agree with everything you said about him.
>>
>>43572544
Email GW. They usually reply. They replied about the Stormsurge and Garg Creature problem.

As I said, many units separate the wargear, these don't. Remember the video game Space Marine? You always had a Bolt Pistol. The idea is they magnetically lock to the armour of the SM while they wield another weapon.

>>43572478
Of course you would. Still funny as fuck. Besides, even if Double FOC doesn't exist and I didn't bother with Allying Farsight. I'd still be rocking 27 instead of 37 (I said 36 originally).

Come on anon, you can beat me! I have no Marker Lights ;) Just hide in cover, bro!
>>
>>43572532
>>43572570

I don't know of any gaming stores in the south burbs. I do know that the GW in DG sucks balls and the guy who works there is a total tool.

Night and day if you come out to the city and our FLGS
>>
>>43571956
Russian recasters are usually pretty decent.

Chinese recasters are about 75% bad. Z is the cheapest, and it shows in his casts. Some of the ebay chinese guys have comparable quality to Z but for twice as much.

As a rule of thumb, look for guys using very light-colored resin, as it is higher quality.
>>
>>43572595
>I have no Marker Lights
B-but, you can upgrade shas'ui with markerligts and marker drones!
>>
>>43572595
>>43572437
What points total is that crap? I just want to theorize how to counter it with orks.
>>
>>43572674

>counter it with orks

You could take a bunch of the cheap Kustom Stompas.

But the points value for that is probably over what most people would bring to a normal game.
>>
>>43572570
>>43572606

Looks like a great store.

About an hour drive, plus paying for parking. I doubt I could come regularly on a Wednesday with work.

The only other good shop I head of was an hour and a half north of me. Forgot the name though.

Honestly I just want to find people in my area and bordering suburbs that will meet in a garage/basement whatever but I can't even find those because those players don't go to GW.
>>
>>43572009
mah apostle

>>43572016
disgusting infidel half a step up from imperials/10
>>
How/where can I get my hands on cheap models in Europe?
I've seen a bunch of websites selling them for 5-10% cheaper than GW does, but since it's shipping from GB for the vast majority, shipping price is ridiculously high (25+£, which makes the price drop almost unappealing if you don't order more than 500+€ of goods at the same time.)
I've been looking through second-hand websites, and if they're not scams, they are mostly already assembled and (badly) painted.
I'm fairly new to the hobby, and seeing that I spent about 100€ for just a pathfinder and Crisis team makes me think that I'd have to spend at least 500 more bucks to actually start playing the game.
Any ideas or advises?
>>
>>43571956
say, one of those guns might look cool on my warboss' bike
thanks for the idea
>>
Imagine a space marine.

Would you pay +2 points per model for +1 A?

What about +5 points per model for +2 A and the ability to take 5 flamers and a combiflamer in a single squad?

Would you let the galaxy burn?
>>
>>43572437
Even without the allies that's 6188 points barebones. Good luck finding a game of that size outside of apocalypse and then you have equally ridiculous enemy unit and formations to go up against.

I get it, Riptides are good for their points, but they're not the ultimate unit. They fold to grav-spam, destroyer weapons, powerfists, massed poison and Darkstrider buffing Str10 (except R'varna but they're only okay).

They're not even all-powerful. Sure an Ion Accelerator will melt Terminators but it's pretty inefficient at anything less than 3+ save. It can't even handle cover saves without backup. Not to mention it struggles with heavy vehicles.
>>
>>43572792
5 dollars worth of solvents and a bucket will strip paint and disassemble used models pretty easily
>>
What's the average roll for a Zzap gun?
>>
>>43572009
Alpha Legion, best legion and chapter.
>>
>>43572827
Won't the figurines end up looking damaged? Doesn't GWs glue somehow weld plastic parts together
>>
>>43572009
Black Legion. Duh.

Even the Word Bearer Primarch bends the knee to them.
>>
So, the Rules say that an Independent Character can't join a Monstrous Creatures. Can you join Gargantuan creatures, then?
>>
>>43572891

>Gargantuan Creatures are Monstrous Creatures that have the additional rules and exceptions given below.
>>
>>43572891
Gargantuan Creatures act as Monstrous Creatures apart from the exceptions posed in their specific section of the rulebook. I found this out when looking if Monster Hunter affected them.
>>
File: hahaha.png (95 KB, 147x261) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.png
95 KB, 147x261
>>43572674
Oh god, I went afk. Let me work it out.

HQ: x1 Etheral - 50pts
Troop: x6 Fire Warriors - 54pts
Troop: x6 Fire Warriors - 54pts
Elite: x3 Riptides - 540pts
Heavy: x3 R'varna Riptides - 780pts
Fast Attack: x3 Y'vahra Riptides - 690pts

Total: 6188

That's naked. As for the FSE Allies, I can't remember the HQ costs. But x6 FW is 54 points. x3 Riptides (naked ofc) is 540, x3 R'varna are 780pts and x3 Y'vahra are 690pts

Assume you taking just an Ethereal HQ for FSE. That's 2114 points.

So Total: 8232 points.

if double FOC's exist. Double it. 16464 points

I'd then personally take Stim-Inject of every Riptide. So that's 27 for first one, so 35 pts each. 945 pts extra. Then the 9 in FSE so 315 pts extra.

So without Allies and FnP on all Riptides, it's 7063. 2429 is total for FSE Allies if you put Stim Injec on them as well.

9492 Total. That's for 36 Riptides with FnP.
>>
>>43572826
I know bro, check >>43572936 I worked it at there.

I'd love to do it as an Apoc Game. But at that stage, somebody will bring like 30 Deathstrike missiles or 60 Manticore Batteries and just AoE you to death.
>>
>>43572042
>>43572119
>want to play an army
>It's tau
>they just got a new codex and all new units
Fuck, I can't tell if that means people will sell all the old shitty looking stuff or if it means nobody will be selling anything.
>>
>>43572879
depends on the solvents and glue

some solvents can damage plastics, while others leave them unharmed

plastic glues do fuse plastic parts together, but many people still use normal superglue which is just an adhesive. Also plastic glue only works on plastic, so when non plastic components are involved super glue must be used instead.
>>
File: Big_Boss8.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Big_Boss8.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
Can Farsight deploy Stormsurges, Breachers, Coldstars, and Ghostkeels?
>>
>>43573006

Breachers, absolutely: They're retconned in rather than a "new" development.

The other ones, it depends how good his recast guy is.
>>
>>43572994
Neither. But the chances of them are going to be pretty high price anyway due to their prowess on the TT.

But, you can get lucky. I remember getting £1000 worth of Lizardmen for bout £350 on Ebay.
>>
File: 1441975956145.jpg (136 KB, 680x622) Image search: [Google]
1441975956145.jpg
136 KB, 680x622
>>43571907
hey dudes, I'm just beginning to work towards my first list, and here's what I've got so far.

+++ Two-Headed Waaagh 2000 (1995pts) +++

++ Orks: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1995pts) ++

+ HQ (260pts) +

Big Mek (120pts) [Bosspole, Warbike]
Basic Ork Armour [Big Choppa, Shokk Attack Gun]

Warboss (140pts) [Bosspole, Gift: Da Lucky Stikk, Warbike, Warlord]
Basic Ork Armour [Power Klaw, Slugga]

+ Elites (495pts) +

Meganobz (165pts) [Meganob w/ Twin-linked Shoota, Meganob w/ Twin-linked Shoota]
Boss Meganob w/ Killsaws [Bosspole]
Trukk [Big Shoota]

Tankbustas (165pts) [Bomb Squig, 10x Tankbusta]
Trukk [Rokkit Launcha]

Tankbustas (165pts) [Bomb Squig, 10x Tankbusta]
Trukk [Rokkit Launcha]

+ Troops (208pts) +

Boyz (173pts) [2x Boy w/ Big Shoota]
Boss Nob [Bosspole, Power Klaw, Twin-linked Shoota]
17x Boy [17x Slugga]

Gretchin (35pts) [10x Gretchin]
Runtherd [Grabba stik]

+ Fast Attack (516pts) +

Stormboyz (229pts) [20x Stormboy]
Stormboy Nob [Bosspole, Power Klaw]

Warbikers (125pts) [4x Warbiker]
Warbiker Nob [Power Klaw]

Warbikers (162pts) [9x Warbiker]

+ Heavy Support (516pts) +

Battlewagon (120pts) [Big Shoota, Reinforced Ram]

Lootas (210pts) [15x Loota]

Mek Gunz (186pts) [2x Ammo Runt, 10x Extra Gretchin, 5x Kustom Mega-kannon w/ Grots]
------

the mek is with the larger biker mob without the nob, he'll keep at range and bring dakka round the flank
the boss runs with the other bikers and harasses while looking for the right git to jump and krump
the stormboyz are a distraction to buy time for the trukk convoy, tie up threats fast, and generally die horribly for the sake of fast just in time for the tankbustas to arrive (plus they're so cool)
wagon runs block for softer units, hopefully the more prescient threats cause it to be ignored and it can drop a payload of boyz on an objective or sommat
gunz and lootas do what it do

this is how I imagine it, but I came to you guys to find out why I'm wrong for science. thanks in advance
>>
>>43573041

SAG on the biker-mek is a bit weird. Yes, it means he gets Relentless, which is great, but if you have to Jink (and bikers are great with Jinking thanks to +1 to Jink saves and twin-linked guns) he can't shoot the SAG. Plus the SAG is really a for fun weapon only; it's just too unreliable (it is hilarious though).

Personally I'd combine the two Biker squads into one mega-squad, stick a KFF on the Mek and get a Painboy in there. Bikers are the one legitimate deathstar we can field; it's nowhere near as good as other deathstars but it's surprisingly good.

All Trukks should have Rokkit Launchas.

Mek Gunz, I'd max out the ammo runts. That many extra grots is overkill. If the unit is assaulted nothing will save it, and it's fairly survivable against ranged attacks thanks to T7 on the whole unit. Might I suggest an Aegis line? For 50 points you'll give the Lootas and the Gunz a 4+ cover save. Can be a great option for Orks.

Stormboyz I've never used due to the disgusting amount of weaponry that can fuck them up. The strategy you're using with them is the logical one however.

Can't go wrong with MANZ missiles.
>>
>>43573126
Dunno.
Random effect sure but ap2 pies and chance to teleport bikers into a charge is interesting.
>>
>>43573126
good points. I did put the SAG on there specifically for the funny shit that might happen, and am also working on a deathstar list with the mek in a great waaagh detachment for the mega kff and the extra hq slot for the painboy
about that, can you put a big bosspole and a MFF on the same dude? he gets pricy but fearless mite b cool I guess
the aegis line is something I hadn't considered at all, interesting.
>>
>>43572652
Where are these Russian guys? I'd love an alternative to Z
>>
>>43571945
I started with the first Dawn of war when I was 10. Might be an ok place to start.
>>
>>43572318

I thought Cassor couldn't take a dedicated pod? You'd probably have to put that in fast attack. Also, a command squad with grav guns might be a better bet than sternguard with combi-grav.

>>43572508
>>43572523

I think DC are just better than SG. You can take 10 to 12 DC with jump packs and a heavy dose of power weapons for the same price as 6 SG and a priest with the banner. Those extra wounds will make a difference, there's nobody to be challenged out of the squad, and you'll get a lot more attacks to help deal with hoards or tough/2+ opponents.
>>
>>43572792

>5-10%

Try Darksphere or Wayland for UK shops, 25% off as standard. There's probably someone nearer to where you are with a similar discount.
>>
guys what's a good space yiff build. i have one box of marines so far and ive done them up with ccw and one plasma gun/combi plasma on the pack leader.
where should i go? rhinos, termis, longfangs? cavalry, drop pods?
>>
>>43573006
>>43573025
Isn't there fluff to suggestion Space Pope is giving him new tech to keep up the fight? Which is why he sent the martial arts Ethereal to go get him
>>
>>43573343
No, Aun'va despises Farsight. The Ethereal High Council has no idea how Farsight keeps getting new Tau stuff.

It's implied that Aun'shi is the one smuggling stuff to the Enclave behind the backs of the Ethereal Council.
>>
>>43573357
>>43573343
It's not a new thing for government to say one thing and do the exact opposite. Farsight must be kept as a villain for the Empire to keep it's core values. But Farsights Diamond Dogs are needed to keep the war effort from going sour. But I think it's Farsight himself who would have trouble of getting aid from ethereals.
>>
>>43573374
Except it's outright stated that Aun'va the Supreme Ethereal of the Tau Empire is enraged at Farsight's rebellion and wants him killed. The presence of Farsight is a destabilizing the Ethereal grip on the Tau and threatens to derail the Tau from their "core values".

Only Aun'shi seems to support the Enclaves and we don't know his motives behind this.
>>
>>43573166
>about that, can you put a big bosspole and a MFF on the same dude? he gets pricy but fearless mite b cool I guess

You could make a very RAW argument that they can because the stipulation that a model can only take one relic is only in the Ork Codex and not the Ghaz supplement. However the accepted interpretation is that you can only take one per model.

MFF in a biker deathstar can be quite scary. 4++ invul against shooting, 5+ FNP, with a 3+ Jink and a 4+ armour, with a Warboss up front to take Str 10 hits. Helps to negate Ignore Cover which otherwise is very nasty against Bikes.

And yeah, I swear by the Aegis line. Partially that's because I got my hands on GW's brilliant Ork Barricades back when they still made them, which are the same length as an Aegis line. But they can be a real Mork-send to help us out, especially with Lootas and Mek Gunz. One of the only advantages to us losing Fearless in big mobs is that Lootas can now choose to go to ground behind an Aegis line if they want, and gain a 2+ cover save.

Oh yeah, and if you have any FMCs in your local meta, a 3-man squad of Traktor Kannons can be invaluable. Keep the small and cheap though (just the guns + 3 ammo runts) because if the enemy brings no flyers, they're snapshotting Rokkits.
>>
>>43573401
>>43573374
>>43573357
Yet in one of the BL books, Aun'shi has been sent to get Farsight and bring him back to the Empire. Whether to bring him back as a hero (as they say) or to bring him back to execute him, it is not known. Aun'shi then gets captured by Dark Eldar and forced to fight, but obviously escapes and meets up with Farsight at a later date.

So, which is it?
>>
>>43573374
In a really may be like that, but the fact is that right now there is nothing supporting that theory.
Right now your theory has the same weight of someone saying "The God-Emperor is actually a demon of Tzeentch that is acting some kind of convoluted plan to lead to the final Chaos victory".

Both are theories that hypothetically may be true, but that needs to consider pages and pages of current canon as a big lie to actually happen
>>
>>43573440
>Yet in one of the BL books, Aun'shi has been sent to get Farsight and bring him back to the Empire.

It's older than the BL short story. It was first mentioned in the BFG Tau rulebook that Aun'shi is being sent to the Ethereal Council to the Enclaves to investigate it and bring the Enclave Tau to the fold.

In the Damocles Anthology, Aun'shi who returned from the enclave speaks with Shadowsun about what Farsight told him. What's obvious Farsight told him no but whatever else happened between them is unknown.

As for Aun'Va, he is grooming Shadowsun to the assassin that will rid him of Farsight.
>>
>>43573443
The Ethereal High Council has no idea how Farsight has lived so long and how he continues to acquire new Tau wargear (straight for the new Tau dex).

It's obvious that Farsight is getting help from insiders in the Tau Empire but it's certainly not sanctioned by the Ethereal High Council.
>>
>>43573479
And that's exactly what I was saying. I said that the theory that Farsight was backed up by Aun'Va and friends was unlikely to say the least
>>
>>43572936
Can't take R'varnas and Y'vahras as units, as only the Riptide got its rules updated to allow you to do that (for now: FW migth eventually update their own rules to take into account the changes in the new codex, and hopefully let some of their stuff be taken in the Hunter Contingent). R'varna and Y'vahra are based on the same chassis as Riptide, but they're not Riptides, an more than a Razorback is a Rhino or Hellhound a Chimera.
>>
>>43573343
Space Pope hates Farsight for going against him, and got Shadowsun to hate him as well. Martial Arts Ethereal seems to like him, though, and it's implied he's the one who sent him a Riptide prototype and copies of the blueprints.
>>
>>43572355
They're not really worth it.

They're by-and-large pretty expensive, and you're only getting them for a single squad. The weapons on the standard raider aren't complimentary to what you want to do (long range lascannons when you want to cram the squad inside down the enemy's craw)

Some land raiders are alright, like the Achilles, but that's mainly because they have access to very decent weaponry and Armoured Ceramite, which mitigates a large weakness of land raiders.

If you're playing casually though land raiders are fine, just watch out for Eldar and their preponderance of D-weapons, since any of them can delete a raider in one shot.
>>
>>43573471
Oh right, cool.

>>43573496
Oh I know, but I'm sure it's due an update and it'll magically happen. Riptides shouldn't be able to group ANYWAY. But their rules are out of date and don't take into affect the new rules. I'll email FW now and see what they say.

Even if I did drop them, I lose 12. So down to 15 Riptides and even less points, so I don't need apoc game levels to play it.

>>43573503
Right. I thought Aun'shi was on orders from the council tho?
>>
>>43572410
Kauyon does mention it, right at the very start of the datasheet/formation section.

Very easily missed, I grant you.
>>
>>43572532
>Official GW
>Not allowing Forgeworld

Literally what the fuck.

Like I understand (sort of) if a -player- doesn't really want to play against Forgeworld, because then I can just explain how FW is, at worst, only as broken as regular GW stuff, and most of the time slightly inferior.

But an entire store? That's crap, you have my sympathy anon.
>>
>>43573537
Oh I know it mentions Fire Support rule, but I don't remember reading the Riptides having the Fire Support special rule. Does it actually mention Riptides being able to form a 'squadron' (I assume this is the term we're using now, since Preds and Vindicators get bonuses too with 3 units)? And if so, what page? If you can remember.

Either way, somebody kindly linked me a pic from 7th (I assume) which says so. Pretty insane, as you can see >>43572936 I went crazy. Obviously need Forge World to confirm if the R'varnas and Y'vahras can go into squadrons for bonuses. Or just squadrons. I always cheekily try and tease info about new books out of them, they're very helpful. GW and FW's support teams have improved dramatically from like 5 years ago.

>>43573552
>>43572532
Fuck sake. FW has hardly any broken units and if they ARE broken, then they're limited some way. Manticore Batteries are probably broken, but they're less broken than Wraithknights and Riptides and shit. Forge World has some amazing models in it, the Malcador Infernus is one of my favourites, if somebody went "No, fuck off with that bullshit OP cheese", then I'd be pissed. I don't have one, obviously and not tried it, but if it's just out-right denying Forge World, that's depressing. No Mole Launcher for DKoK, no Dimachaeron, no Hierodule. No Malcador Defneders... No lots of neat things.
>>
>>43573592
>Malcador infernus.

The one with the stupid flamer wagon?
>>
>>43573535
I believe he's on the orders from the council to investigate why Farsight went rogue and bring him to justice if necessary, but he seems to secretly sympathise with Farsight. The feeling appears to be mutual as he's mentioned to be the only Ethereal who is allowed to enter the Enclaves.
>>
I'm still not sure on my Mehcanicus list, so I'm gonna post it here and ask for some hot spicy opinions.

(Codex: Cult Mech)
HQ-
Tech Priest Dominus 105
Eradication Ray 15
Phosphor Serpenta 5

Total 130

Troops

x2 Kataphron Destroyers 165 x2
Heavy Grav Cannons
Cognis Flamers 15 x2

Total 360

Codex Total 490

(Codex: Skitarii)

Troops

x2 Skitarii Rangers 65 x2
Five Additional Rangers, 55 x2
Omnispex 10 x2
Refractor Field 5 x2
Arc Rifle 15 x2
Transuranic Arquebus 25 x2

Total 350

Skitarii Vanguard 55 x2
Five Additional Vanguard 45 x2
Omnispex 10 x2
Refractor Field 5 x2
Plasma Caliver 30 x2
Transuranic Arquebus 25 x2

Total 340

Elites

Sicarian Rustalkers 160 x2
Transonic Blades

Total 320

Codex Total 1010
>>
File: flamethrower churchill.jpg (55 KB, 640x598) Image search: [Google]
flamethrower churchill.jpg
55 KB, 640x598
>>43573599
>stupid flamethrower wagon
Man even in the year 40,000 they get that putting a bunch of flammable material inside a metal box with some guys in it isn't a good idea.
>>
>>43573592
It's at the top of Page 170, the one titled FORCES OF THE TAU EMPIRE:

"XV104 Riptide Battlesuits, Hammerhead Gunships and Sky Ray Missile Defence Gunships can be taken in units of up to three models (excluding Drones). The options listed in these units’ Army List Entries can now be taken ‘per model’ and the same unit can include any combination of weapons and upgrades available to them...Units of XV104 Riptides can take the Bonding Knife Ritual special rule for 1 point per model"
>>
>>43573825
This is in the epub version that is, I don't know the page number for the physical version
>>
File: Purity_Seals_Galore.png (296 KB, 712x649) Image search: [Google]
Purity_Seals_Galore.png
296 KB, 712x649
Here's something I always wondered:
Space Marines and the like seems to have a fetish for purity seals and oiling everything with blessed oils.
Does those essays written on toilet paper rolls and glues to their armor with unreasonably solid wax have any actual power (probably given to them by crowd mentality and/or worshipping of Big E), or is it just some kind of mass-produced placebo and/or cheap rewards, somehow mimicking medals?
>>
Where can I find the rules for the Tau Tidewall? I can't find them in the new codex
>>
>>43573892
Kayon
>>
>>43573599
Yes. What is life without a bit of risk, anon?

>>43573783
It worked very well, actually. The Funnies saved thousands, if not tens of thousands, of lives in Normandy. Remember Omaha? Yeah, they didn't get any of the Funnies to shore (all but 2 tanks drowned and the other 2 got knocked out) and caused lots of problems.

So don't diss man. You also forget the Brits made this in WW1 but never used it because "muh inhumane".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livens_Large_Gallery_Flame_Projector

Also, WHY THE FUCK HAS CHANNEL FUCKING 4 BLOCKED UK FROM VIEWING CHANNEL 4 SHOWS ON YOUTUBE? WHAT. THE. FUCK.
>>
>>43573876
They're not mass-produced, nor are they a placebo. They're supposed to be a mark of a Space Marine's purity. A Marine can look upon it to reaffirm his devotion and duty to the Emperor in much the same way as you'd look at a picture of your kids during crunch time at work.
>>
>>43573873
Ah... I have physical. I'll take a quick flick through but I'm pretty sure I didn't see it.

>>43573892
Kanyoun only. But, they also got White Dwarf ones. So, download the Kauyon book and go from there. It's pretty fucking OP.

Also, speaking of which (to everybody) what's the biggest base that can fit in the Droneport ones? Is it Broadside max? I want to put a Riptide in it, it looks cool, sure it gets no save (that I'm aware of).
>>
File: 1445194341167.png (2 MB, 1593x1117) Image search: [Google]
1445194341167.png
2 MB, 1593x1117
>>43573892

Kauyon has some rules and formations
>>
>>43573876
The more you have, the less likely somebody is going to accuse you of Chaos. They're earned. I think Black Templars respect them more than other Spess Muhreens, because they're the only chapter which worships him as an Emperor (bar your personal ones. I'd also assume Fire Angels do as well, but it isn't said)
>>
Exclusive Tidewall formation.
>>
>>43573914
Good thing IG and Ad Mech have lots of ignores covers.

Wait, can Basilisks (Earthshakers) ignore cover or is it pinning only? Fuck. I need to read that codex again.
>>
Is it only Infantry/Cavalry that can be pinned, or can MC's and above be Pinned? I assume Vehicles can't. Sorry, I have brain damage and I forget things really easily and I don't have my book handy.
>>
Just came from a local GW. One redshirt looked up the tide Wall Box information (even for the individual parts) and he Said that rules for them comes with the box
>>
>>43573912
Well, I understand what you're saying, but looking at a family picture during hard times may pop a smile on my face, but it won't make me stronger/take more shots/more armored/quicker over the years, no matter how many I stack them in my wallet. They're heartwarming, and comforting at best. In a Marine case, I guess this could have an impact on his morale, though.
What I'm asking, does it PHYSICALLY affect a SM's combat aptitude? Or is it just some kind of abstract concept with only psychological impact, like the Tau's bonding knife?
>>
>>43573908
What part of that did you think was a disagreement? I fucking love flamethrower tonks.
>>
>>43573926
the vehicle itself cant but you can get a character that inaccurately calls in shots that can.
>>
>>43573876
Purity seals are blessings/goals set by the chaplains for certain marines before battles, like "by the Emperors will and with his blessing slay a hundred foes and defeat a officer", if sucessful it's then permanently affixed to the armour as proof of deed and the Emperors blessing.

Marines wil generally suceed or die trying, failure is a personal shortcoming, an insult to the Emperors faith in him and a sign that the Marine has squanded a holy blessing.
>>
>>43573920
Bkack templars have a seperate set of them, in addition to proper purity seals, they'll affix passages from holy texts, personal oaths ect.
>>
>>43573947
See
>>43574001
It's a list of deeds done, challenges met and of new heights to aspire.
So they prove what the marine CAN do and set goals for him to reach.
>>
>>43574001
...ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
>>
>>43573933
Mc and above can't go to ground.
>>
>>43574059
That's exactly what I was thinking when reading this post.

So they're the equivalent of Steam/Xbox achievements in the 40k universe? Knowing how fucktards spend hours trying to get all of them in our world, no wonder why SM will try to get a shitload of them.
>>
>>43574097
This has given me an idea for a Space Marine chapter based entirely around setting their Battle Brothers arbitrary achievements to unlock.
>>
>>43573926
If you get the earth shaker carriage from fw, you can give it orders.
>>
>>43574124
So now we finally know what's in the Codex Astartes. It's the comprehensive achievement guide book.
>>
>>43573912
>A Marine can look upon it to reaffirm his devotion and duty to the Emperor in much the same way as you'd look at a picture of your kids during crunch time at work.

I'm just imagining a picture of a Space Marine glancing at the side of a Rhino, and purity seals are covering up words on a plaque so it reads DO IT FOR HIM.
>>
>>43573613
Keep the Arquebus only in the range squads. Vanguards benefit a lot more from the Arc Rifle or Plasma Calivers. Enhanced Data Tether works reasonably well once you run into LD issues.

Keep away from the Transonic Blades! Those grenades and no Init penalty from terrain works wonders, and the drop from damage isn't that huge.
>>
>>43571956
I've grabbed several kits from China, and for the most part they were pretty great. I would be cautious though as the model's complexity increases. My Earthshaker emplacements and thudd guns fit perfectly, but don't even get me started on the ceastus assault ram I bought. Usually I only buy the oop FW stuff, but the blatantly overpriced stuff is in my range too. Not going to pay 71 britbucks for a 45 point artillery unit.
>>
File: 1384113696174.png (519 KB, 747x839) Image search: [Google]
1384113696174.png
519 KB, 747x839
>>43574167
>The Codex Astastes rewards no achievement for this action
>>
>>43572009
>claims to be the best legion
>says it's due to cleverness and manipulation
>does not post a alpha legionnaire.

It's okay anon, I'll assume you chose the wrong pic and misspelled Alpha Legion. You were probably only being rused
>>
Re-posting my question from the last thread.

Are missile launchers worth taking for IG heavy weapon squads? Are they worth taking in infantry squads?

Is one better then the other? Are they both shit?
>>
>>43573913
Broadside fits in the thing, but a Riptide would have to awkwardly balance on top of it. I think a Ghostkeel might barely fit as well.

Speaking of the Tau mobile oppression fortress, do the boxes contain the rules? And if I'm only going to get one of the three, which one would be the best?
>>
>>43574223
Someone please draw this
>>
>>43574283
5 points more gets you a lascannon, it does more than a missile launcher in every area. Las cannons make your infantry squads more useful from what I've experienced.
>>
>>43574283
Pros:

+Flexible, can virtually hurt anything
+s8 for instant deathing t4 targets
+small blast to fuck over tight formations and hordes
Cons
-Bad rate of fire, bad against spread out units and won't be glancing tanks to death in any time.
-"Only" ap3, can't one-shot tanks, terminators, riptides etc will laugh at it.

Wild card:
*Flak missiles. Costs like hell and s7 ap4 isn't that hot against fliers or FMC but after all it is a skyfire weapon. Vendettas and hydras are still better.
It's a jack-of-all-trades weapon. Kinda ok but not amazing in many situation. Autocannon gives you 2 shots so glancing is easier and it can dent hordes. Lascannon can put a hurt in any big target and occasionally one-shot tanks.
I'd take missiles if I'd need flexibility from my troops or if I have no idea what I'm gonna face.
>>
>>43574275
>not realizing that poster was alpharius drawing attention away from alpha legion activities
>not realizing I am too
>>
>>43574283
5 points more gets a lascannon which is better for heavy weapons squads. Give standard infantry squads heavy bolters or auto cannons
>>
File: 8606844e53e124fcf25c62df18234e74.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8606844e53e124fcf25c62df18234e74.jpg
320 KB, 1920x1080
>>43573922
Seriously, like the things weren't kind of dick-ish to use before. Now you get to add dick sauce to your dick-ishness. I really hope the Necrons in counter to this just get something like they did in IA but it's a tomb complex that's actually a small floating city.
>Pic related but floating in the air
>>
>>43573969
>isn't a good idea
>>
>>43574143
Sorry, can you explain orders? Are they only for specific unit types? So Basilisks can't?

I know ESC Batteries look awesome.
>>
File: Primus-Redoubt-Double-Laser.jpg (140 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
Primus-Redoubt-Double-Laser.jpg
140 KB, 800x680
>people calling Tau Tidewall Rampart

I HEARD YOU TALKING SHIT LIKE I WOULDN'T FIND OUT
>>
>>43572009
That's not the Iron Warriors.
>>
>>43574097
Except more actual achievement and less "waste enough time "
>>
>>43574411
Take your muscleman unbirthing fetish to /aco/.
>>
>>43574414
>Mindlessly waste your life away for a false emperor just to keep the status quo up for few more years.
Brother, stop this and join us.
>>
>>43574283
No, never. Autocannons are generally the best choice in infantry squads as they're multipurpose and effective against everything.

Lascannons, Autocannons or mortars (if you're crazy) are really the only viable options in Heavy Weapon teams. Missile Launchers are just a very under average choice this addition. Maybe if they came with flak rockets for free we'd see them a lot more, but alas.

The other thing that hamstrings the HWT is its inability to take vox's. They're just frustrating.
>>
File: I don't listen to heretics.jpg (172 KB, 1282x710) Image search: [Google]
I don't listen to heretics.jpg
172 KB, 1282x710
>>43574456
>Joining the faction that just sees you as a tool to destroy reality
>>
>>43574424
>not him
>go there as not been on the board before
>see what I assume is a 40k thread
>NiceDaemonette

Go. Fucking. Figure. Him and Carnac need to be b&.
>>
>>43574456
>Slave to ficle gods and subordinate to incompetent mustache twirlers.

Youz iz a git too, ave a laff, kick some umies in da jibblies an quaff a tankard of squigbrew.
>>
Just wondering are there any Legion rules for Iron Warriors in 7th edition yet? Was thinking of doing Necrons with allies with pie plate weapons support.
>>
>>43574472
They need a good stoning. That is all.
>>
>>43574472
Better there than here.
Shotty thing is the "Adult" in Adult COmics, seem to mean "Porn and nothing but".
>>
>>43574490
>Chaos
>7th
HA!
>Interesting warbands
Laughing intensifies.
>>
>>43574490
>legion rules
Anon, 3.5 was years ago. GW would rather give you a horrible codex than do something nice for the fans.
>>
>>43574486
>psst your tankard doesn't have enough dakka and u r a git. Fite me in Armageddon!
>>
>>43574504
Not surprised. It was created cause of western art being triggering on /d/.

>>43574491
Yeah. Stoned with the ban hammer.
>>
>>43574504
It's a new board and it's still maturing up. I'm pretty sure all the stuff that is too hc for /co/ will eventually end up there.
>>
>GW website defaults to mobile for days
>loads of people affected
>email GW to tell them about this
>go check it a day after emailing
>it stays on mobile for a few secs then switches
>check email
>"O-o-oh what browser you using? M-m-make sure it's up to date!"

Bollocks, you actually fixed it, cause guess what GW, FW's is still stuck to auto-mobile mode.

So I need to email them as well. But I asked them about the Riptide variants and Fire Support.
>>
>>43572826
>Darkstrider
Doesn't effect instant death, back to your cupboard theorycrafter.
>>
>>43574614
But it's explicitly stated in the structural analyzer that the modified toughness is used to calculate instant death.
>>
>>43574614
Yes it does. Read the damn rules.
>>
>>43574575
I got 3 thread deletions and a warning for storytiming Transmetropolitan, 2 thread deletions for The Boys and Crossed was classified as gore.
>>
>>43572437
Y'vahras and R'varnas can't be taken in squads
>>
>>43574614
>>43574627
>>43574642
Unless you mean units outside his own squad. He does nothing for them.
>>
>>43574650
In the Taucurion he gives his ability to rest of the firing units if they combine their fire.
>>
>>43574650
But that's why you use Coordinated Firepower

Now Darkstrider is in ALL the units
>>
>>43574751
>>43574739
But taucurion won't let you have 72 riptides of various flavors in two detachment. But it could have 120 stormsurges
>>
I need 6 Ravenwing bikers for my DA list and was just going to pick up the Dark vengeance once since they are so cheap.

They are loaded out like

1 x Veteran sergeant, 1 x plasma gun, melta bombs

I guess the third is vanilla then.

On my list they are loaded out as

3 Bike - 2 Melta/Combi-Melta/Melta Bomb - 110

3 Bike - 2 Grav/Combi-Grav/Melta Bomb - 120

What is the best way to represent them on the field as what they are actually loaded out as. I don't want anyone accusing me of being cheesey.
>>
>>43574820
...convert them to have what they're supposed to have? Do you have spare tac squad bits to use? If not you can buy melta guns and grav guns on eBay
>>
>>43574490
Go for Horus Heresy and play a legion.
>>
File: staticpose.png (104 KB, 515x196) Image search: [Google]
staticpose.png
104 KB, 515x196
>>43574915

Picture of the lot I am getting. The weapon arms are not separate on the models.

I have a battleforce with bits from the attack bike and ravenwing command squad. Besides that all I have is the interrogator Chaplin and Sammael
>>
>>43574946

Well thats just fine for your plasma bikers if you can just get another top torso of the middle one.

Your seargents will need their Combi's as well.

You should certainly have spare arms for either side from your battleforce, do what you can and if you have to only buy three dark vengeance and a real one to ensure you have everything you need.

>look mom no hands
>>
File: Problem.jpg (138 KB, 573x592) Image search: [Google]
Problem.jpg
138 KB, 573x592
>>43574614
Butthurt much? "When Darkstrider targets a non-vehicle enemy unit with a shooting attack, that unit suffers -1 Toughness against hits from that shooting attack - this applies to Darkstrider's entire unit's shooting attacks, not just his own. Use the target's modified Toughness to determine if the target suffers Instant Death. This ability cannot be used when firing Snap Shots."

This little trick was tried and tested against T5 enemies with Ion Rifles. Overcharge the rifles to get Str8 and you'd be popping anything from Ogryns to Tyrannocytes. Now with Coordinated Firepower and easy access to Str10, Tau can crump T6 monsters, including Riptides.

>>43574809

That's not the point. In fact, Stormsurges would probably be better for combined firing with Darkstrider thanks to that sweet, sweet Str10 and they're pretty versatile anyway. Massed Riptides would start to become a liability because of how specialised they are.

Onto Darkstrider though, I'm eager to find out if he's actually viable in a cheesed-out Hunter Contingent. On one end, the aforementioned benefits are juicy. On the other end, he's 100 points, needs a Combined Arms detachment tax to use Coordinated Firepower, can only join Firewarriors/Pathfinders and is T3. I get the feeling that any opponent worth their salt will nuke him as soon as they can. He might need a bastion, but that'll drive the points cost up even more..
>>
>>43574491
>b-but B-bela'kor is rock proof
>>
>>43575077
This is why I've never had a problem with Darkstrider. He is maximally squishy. He is ultimately basically a Fire Warrior defensively, and they are not known for their tenacious staying power in the face of S6+ flying at them.
>>
File: Yellow4.jpg (207 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Yellow4.jpg
207 KB, 800x600
Help, help, I need advice!

My army fluff involves a group of Necrons awakening and taking over several solar systems, and the Imperium fighting to get them back. One of the worlds is a Forge World, and the semi-radical Arch-Dominus of that world cut a quiet deal with the Necrons because they both hate Chaos. Now they're trying to work with human Nulls and Necron tech to make anti-Chaos Humans, basically recreating the Pariahs.

1) Is this fucking retarded y/n
2) How well do you think the combo will work on the tabletop? I was thinking normal Necron army with Arch Dominus + Grav-Destroyers as an allied detachment 'watching their interests'
3) Should they have one yet, or do you think a Culexus Assassin counts-as would be a waste of points?
>>
File: 1354732140544.jpg (18 KB, 367x479) Image search: [Google]
1354732140544.jpg
18 KB, 367x479
>>43575156

If the photo of that model is yours I think you have bigger things to worry about...
>>
>>43575156
Hey, I remember you from yesterday, although I never replied.

For the first, no, I think it's a pretty good idea. If you want to go deeper into the fluff, it becomes trickier to portray the tech-priest, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility that a particularly radical Magos could decide to work with xenos in order to send those Chaos fuckers back where they belong.

As for the tabletop, I'm really unsure. On the one hand, you're adding more anti-vehicle spam shooting from tough platforms to an army that already has a lot of that, but on the other hand a TPD is very hard to go wrong with.

I would tend to say that you should use the Holy Requisitioner formation, since it firstly gives them all Deep Strike and secondly replaces the Destroyers with something a little more specialized in the form of Breachers' Torsion Cannon and Haywire weapons.

But again, Necrons already can do anti-vehicle and anti-infantry well, so I suppose trying to specialize the Cult Mech force for anti-MC duty might be wise.

As for the Culexus, I find it hard to go wrong with them. They're a pain in the ass to kill without serious firepower. This isn't going to be a psyker army, so you don't need to worry about consuming a bunch of Warp charges to fuel the gun, and the gun really is the strongest part of the Culexus. AP1 Instant Death is very, very scary, psyker or no.
>>
>>43575251
Don't be mean to the poor bananacron
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 460x560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 460x560
Hey guys, I am a daemons player and I will be playing a necron player soon.

Now I have heard about how tough necrons can be, but I have also heard about how they fold to powerful melee.

Since my even my troops can mince elites in other armies, will I be ok?
>>
File: Yellow2.jpg (323 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Yellow2.jpg
323 KB, 1024x768
>>43575251
Nope. I've got a whole collections of pictures from this guy because his shit his hilarious
>>43575275
I'm sort of worried about the culexus being t4/4++ for saves, and if they can hit, they're probably going to peel wounds off him quickly. It's 160 points for one model, and I'm worried he's not going to bring the punch needed to support that. Between my Overlord's warscythe, the Lychguard's swords, the Wraith's melee, and all the Gauss, I'm not lacking for dual-use anti-melee/tank, but MCs have ways around most of that shit.
>>
>>43575156
>This pic
Living Metal proved to be too weak. They needed something stronger. More dangerous. They needed LEGO.
>>
File: image.png (22 KB, 627x597) Image search: [Google]
image.png
22 KB, 627x597
>>43575319
Dear god... who would think this colour scheme is ok?
>>
File: Yellow13.jpg (232 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Yellow13.jpg
232 KB, 480x640
>>43575311
Ahahahaha no. Get ready for a fucking slog, son. You're not going to wipe Necron units, in melee or otherwise. They have a Fantasy-tier Ward save of 5+, which is GOING to be a 4+ if you haven't banned That Formation. You fold to volume of fire, which they do extremely well in both melee and ranged. Sure, if you can engage his troops with your elites you'll probably win, but everyone runs Wraiths, which move 12, ignore terrain, and solve problems at t5/2w/s6/a3.
>>
File: Yellow13B.jpg (195 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Yellow13B.jpg
195 KB, 640x480
>>43575344
The worst part is, they're legitimately well painted. There's some real talent behind that paintjob.
>>
>>43575367
>they're legitimately well painted.
You joking right?
>>
File: Yellow8.jpg (227 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Yellow8.jpg
227 KB, 600x800
>>43575389
Yeah, I just wanted an excuse to keep posting them.
>>
>>43575400
No need to senpai, they are hilarious just post them all.
>>
File: Yellow1.jpg (305 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Yellow1.jpg
305 KB, 1024x768
>>43575414
>>
>>43571956
>enough dakka
>>
File: Yellow3.jpg (204 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Yellow3.jpg
204 KB, 600x800
>>43575423
>>
File: Yellow5.jpg (220 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Yellow5.jpg
220 KB, 800x600
>>43575438
>>
File: Yellow6.jpg (217 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Yellow6.jpg
217 KB, 800x600
>>
File: Yellow7.jpg (216 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Yellow7.jpg
216 KB, 800x600
>>43575474
>>
File: YouWutGit.jpg (85 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
YouWutGit.jpg
85 KB, 512x512
>>43575434

>enough dakka

Thar can alway be moar dakka, ya git!
>>
File: Yellow9.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Yellow9.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>43575485
>>
>>43573041
hey guy. tankbustas are really really good in this edition, but putting them in a trukk is a recipe for disaster. They really need a battlewagon, and then you can run the full 15.

A trukk WILL BLOW UP, and 1/2 of anything with a t-shirt save will die when it blows up.

Trust me.

Iz bigga dan uz iz
>>
File: Yellow10.jpg (142 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Yellow10.jpg
142 KB, 640x480
>>43575502
>>
>>43575354
I don't see how I wont to be honest. Even with the 4+ all my Khorne shit wounds him on threes or twos, ignores his armour and strikes ahead of them in initiative order.

Obviously his dedicated melee will be a problem. I feel like dropping some Nurgle shit down in front of his wraiths and holding him up should do the trick.

Any tips about facing necrons?
>>
>>43575502
>>43575528
way to ruin those nice conversion by not thinning your paints.
>>
File: Yellow11.jpg (148 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Yellow11.jpg
148 KB, 480x640
>>43575528
His 'C'tan Shard'
>>
>>43575528
Why does a necron wield a Doom Siren
>>
File: Yellow12.jpg (254 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Yellow12.jpg
254 KB, 640x480
>>43575540
What makes you think the wraiths will cooperate?

Kill the Spyder first if he has one.
If it's a vehicle, melee it. Open Topped and any good AP mean they tend to melt.
Warriors are assholes. They're not dying as well as they look like.
>>
File: Yellow14.jpg (193 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Yellow14.jpg
193 KB, 480x640
>>43575582
And out of Yellow.
>>43575540
One more hint: Bring Monstrous Creatures. Vehicle is relatively easy to solve. Infantry is trivially easy to solve. Monstrous creatures, especially with a good save, are a problem.
>>
>>43575607
unless they took the other option, the non gauss one, it deals 3 wounds on 6s.

Necrons are pretty boss right now, provided they have a sufficient understanding of their codex, and prior knowledge of what they're playing, they are pretty much unstoppable.
>>
>>43575632
It deals three HITS on sixes. Wounding is still a problem, as is getting through saves. The thing that can do that is universally ap-.
>>
>>43575607
Seriously? I always got nervous at the idea of my Bloodthirsters going up against Necrons.
>>
>>43575647
still not a bad choice if they know theyre playing nids. Whats it called? the non gauss option
>>
>>43575650
They have two good anti-MC units. Either you're fielding Wraiths, which are good anti-everything, or you're fielding Deathmarks, which get one turn of being good and you'll probably be in the air that turn. Then again, I'm assuming Real People MCs, which have at least a 3+ save. I don't know about Daemon ones.
>>
>>43575671
Tesla. Comes on Immortals and Tomb Blades at s5, and flyers and Annihilation Barges at s7.
>>
>>43575678
Daemons have a 5++ all around regardless of god with the possibility of gaining a better armor save through gifts.
>>
>>43572936
>pic
Iz dat sum chaos tau?
>>
>>43575700
Right, and a 5++ is utter shit. If you have a decent save AND a 5++, it's different.
>>
>>43575713
Well 5++ on toughness ten...
>>
>>43575713
There's a chance they get a 4 fnp too. Daemons can get real dumb real quick with some sweet gift rolls.
>>
>>43575728
That being a decent save.
>>43575725
You can have no save at all on toughness 10 and it'd be good. Can you reliably get a 4+ FnP or Toughness 10?
>>
>>43575746
Great Unclean Ones can go mastery level three in biomancy and roll twice in the greater gifts, so you can get both rather reliably.

They aren't that expensive either and you can bring more than one.
>>
>>43572815
>there are no replies so I guess Chosen really are a garbage unit
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 600x620
Has GW ever made a better kit? I swear to god I get giddy looking at this thing.
>>
>>43573613
Unless you intend for your TPD to be very up-close-and-personal indeed, lose the Eradication Ray and take a relic. Raiment of the Technomartyr and Scryerskull Perspicatus are both very good, the former making Skitarii overwatch like motherfuckers and the latter letting you wreck even superheavies with a good round of shooting.

Deeply consider if you really want to switch out the heavy flare guns for Cognis Flamers. Those things are AP3, and you will get at least one wound with them against MEQ or less, which all but guarantees the Grav-cannons. Cognis Flamers are good, and ensure that nothing will ever charge you, but it's frankly easier to kill Destroyers by shooting them a lot anyway. Most serious weapons just ignore that 4+ save, and that means they get taken out by Heavy Bolters pretty easily.

I would say take three Vanguard squads and two Ranger squads. Give the big nasty special weapons in threes to the Vanguard, then two squads of five Rangers get two Arquebuses each. This is a really effective way to run Skitarii, from my experience.

Sicarian Ruststalkers are pretty okay, but always skip the Transonic Blades. You lose Haywire grenades, which are also assault grenades, and therefore lose a significant amount of charge capability. Which on a unit whose only shooting is, again, grenades, you really want. The double blades are just completely worthless, and I say this having spent several games trying to make them work.
>>
>>43576135

They've certainly made better fucking poseable large kits for a unit you can take multiples of, god damn.

Pretty, sure. Just if I'm paying superheavy prices for it gimme fucking leg joints.
>>
File: 44.jpg (215 KB, 623x480) Image search: [Google]
44.jpg
215 KB, 623x480
>>43576102

Garbage unit for a garbage army. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>43576102
They're not, it's just that their Codex cripples them. Black Legion can make them work, but they're still surprisingly squishy for their stat block.
>>
>>43576174
What does the Black Legion supplement do for CSM anyway? I know what Crimson slaughter does with possessed and all. I heard the Black Legion supplement was chosen oriented.
>>
>>43576198
Basically, it makes them Troops. All of a sudden, they're MUCH more usable. Still have the downsides of a Terminator-heavy army, but they fill your Troops holes and get ObSec.

Those five flamers and combi-flamer? Remove that from an objective with somebody else's Troop choice.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 50

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.