[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a more effective combination in 3/3.5, fighter/paladin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
What's a more effective combination in 3/3.5, fighter/paladin or fighter/ranger?
>>
>>43571440
Fighter/Ranger. Paladins don't do shit.
>>
>>43571458
I mean neither do fighters.
>>
>>43571440
Wizard.

/thread
>>
>>43571473
Fighters fight.
>>
>>43571526
Not effectively.
>>
Probably paladin for the mount and random immunities, but neither is spectacular
>>
>>43571477
DON'T THREAD YOUR OWN POST YOU FAGGOT.

But yeah I came to post the same thing.
>>
Paladin/Ranger is the most viable combination of those things, since i'm pretty sure there are ways to make those levels stack for spellcasting and other abilities. Putting Fighter in your build is either because you have something specific in mind that requires the bonus feats, or because you wanted to give yourself a handicap.
>>
>>43571440
Fighter/Ranger. Paladins in 3.5 are awful. Make a Fighter/Cleric or just a regular Cleric if you're hell bent on playing something like a Paladin.

>>43571477
>>43571615
If you want the absolute best though this is the right answer (even for close range combat.)
>>
>>43571440
Just play a Warblade. You can thank me later.
>>
>>43571635
Yeah, this. Typically for 3.5 people only take levels in fighter to get the feats to qualify for a prestige class sooner or they just don't know any better. Devoted Tracker is the feat you're talking about, but I don't think it would really make up for all the downsides of a paladin/ranger
>>
>>43571695
Crusader is probably more thematic, but the whole random ability use thing would piss me off
>>
>>43571440
Depends what's in play senpai.

With Spell Compendium both Paladin and Ranger are considerably improved, but Ranger more so I think.

If all sources are in play some of Fighter's alternate class abilities are actually quite useful and can use Charisma, otherwise the Fighter/Paladin MAD is going to punish you and Ranger works better.

Sword of the Arcane Order is a great feat for any Paladin or Ranger if it's on the table.
>>
Cleric
Crusader
Warblade
Single Class Paladin(still shit)
Single Class Ranger(still shit)
Single Class Fighter(still shit)
>>
>>43571685
I'm pretty sure the ACF for paladins makes them okay for charge based builds as a dip for fighters.
>>
>>43571724
>>43574168

What does a crusader do?
Please educate me on that one.
>>
>>43574417
Crusaderis the BoNS Paladin. Gets stances and strikes that support and heal people with some side dish of smites thrown in.
>>
>>43571535
>I've never had a fighter consistently oudamage the entire rest of the party
Oh boy
>>
File: muscle wizard.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
muscle wizard.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
>>43571477
Muscle wizards http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/16028538/
>>
>>43574429
I....is there some conversion to Pathfinder?

They seem to be Alignment non restricted pallies, I like that.

>I got an innvitation to one, so please don't bully.
>>
>>43574511
In 3rd party. Check Path of War from Dreamscarred press.

From the main books? Haha, good luck with that. You could maybe swing a fighting focused Cleric or warpriest or other divine class that way tho.
>>
>>43574530
Sadly no 3rd party stuff.
Warpriest might be a good idea though.

Thank you.
>>
>>43574535
Inquisitor is another option. Though less armored (unless you like, dip one level in something that gives armor), Bane is essentially like a mini-smite.

Oracles could also work, and are the other CHA based divine casters.
>>
>>43574556
I was thinking about a Rage Prophet, it is a VERY nice option.
>>
>>43574593
>>43574556
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>43574375
Charging Smite doesn't come up until Paladin 4, so Fighter is still the dip, not paladin.
>>43574470
If the rest of your party is poorly off, that is not a comparison.
>>
>>43574511
Paizo has almost come right out and said they will never have a ToB book for PF, so it's third party or bust.
>>
>>43574819
sure, after all why would they want several classes that put martials actually on the level of weaker magic users
>>
>>43574819
Hmm, thank you.
>>
>>43574827
For the same reason their "pionics" is thinly veiled Vancian casting.
>>43574828
Don't thank me for bringing bad news.
>>
>>43571440
Cleric.
>>
>>43574470
Well, I never banned all casters and barbarians, so no, I never had a fighter consistently outdamaging the entire rest of the party
>>
>>43574819
>Pathfinder
It's funny when 3pp are better than the "official" books.
Tome of war and 3pp psionics are awesome, I'm in love with Aegis.
>>
File: JJJ.jpg (55 KB, 904x531) Image search: [Google]
JJJ.jpg
55 KB, 904x531
>>43574470
That's cute. I bet you "built him right" too. Come back when you can end an encounter with a subset of your class feature.
>>
>Be cleric in PF
>Tfw barbarian dude tries its hardest to outdamage me but he can't
I feel bad for him, thinking on rerolling something less powerful

I must thank that I got nice Cha so I could pick eldritch heritage though
>>
>>43575517
Aegis is crazy good, a fantastic idea.
No idea why someone didn't come up with it first.
>>43575619
Oddly enough, combat clerics aren't as potent in raw damage as they were in 3.5.
If he followed the optimizing books entirely, he'd be able to do it handily, as the real power behind combat clerics was DMM buffs stacking with wand/scroll buffs before battle.
>>
>>43575619
He's optimizing, but the pool where he gets the feats, archetypes and powers is too small, basically only core and ultimate combat, there's too much content and he loses himself on it, that's why he only uses fewer content.
>>
>>43575732
Fuck, meant to reply to this >>43575646
>>
>>43575646
They rolled for stats, bets are off as far as to what their relevant stats are.

Also, keep in mind that ragelancepounce was ruled illegal. Barbarians are still top-notch damage dealers, but clerics with the right buffs and a little optimizing (assuming he grabbed abyssal I think for even more inherent STR, or possibly Orc with community minded for the self buff?) can easily match them.... not to mention they can just have the rage domain.
>>
>>43575732
So he is purposely limiting himself, and now finds himself unable to achieve the intended mechanical/fluff goal of being killy as fuck.
I presume you are not limiting yourself, so really, the foolishness lay with him.
>>43575744
I figured as much.
Still tho, all he really needs is:
High strength
Pounce
Good weapon
Good static mods
>>
>>43575763
>Rage domain
>Abyssal eldritch heritage
Dude is like you were reading my character sheet
>>
File: 1400466103740.jpg (163 KB, 1516x817) Image search: [Google]
1400466103740.jpg
163 KB, 1516x817
>>43575763
>They rolled for stats, bets are off as far as to what their relevant stats are.
Is this the goddamn DM chiming in?
Isn't that illegal or something?
>actually using the fucked up errata that exists to nerf martials
I bet you used the Sacred Fist/Crane Wing errata, too, you enemy of fun.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.