[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Right Angles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Part6.jpg (462 KB, 1708x1077) Image search: [Google]
Part6.jpg
462 KB, 1708x1077
The Right Angles, born from a idiot who couldn't spell Angels correctly.
A chapter of OCD math addicts.
Will be posting the two stories made in the original thread, and then more OC for them. Their command structure and the like will come first.
>>
Right Angles:
Companies:
1st - Conservation of Energy
2nd - Universal Gravitation
3rd - Fourier Transformation
4th - Maclurian Series
5th -
6th -
7th -
8th -
9th -
10th -

Ships:
Archimedes, Battle Barge
Sagan, Strike Cruiser
>>
Ranks:
Apothecary - Multiplier
Chaplain - Conjugate
Techmarine - Mathematicians
Captain - Formulae
Honor Guard - Primes
Terminator - Indivisible
Veteran - Root
Dreadnought - Remainder
Tactical Marine - Divider
Devastater - Odds
Assault Marine - Evens
Scout - Interger

Known Characters:
(Deceased) Chapter Master Einstein
Chapter Master Euler
-Led men against Iron Warriors forces on Kespinoth VIIIb
Formulae Cantor of Third Company
Chief Multiplier Gauss
High Conjugate Riemann
Master Mathematician Archimedes
Master of Intergers de Fermet
Master of the Fleet Leibinz
>>
First bit of Writefaggotry:
Part 1

Formulae Cantor prowled the ranks of his Divider Marines, the auspex of his helmet scanning for imperfections along their armor. For the heresy that was imperfect equations. Long parchments, sometimes feet long, divined by the most senior Mathematicians of the Chapters Mathematorum hung off their armor in place of the usual rites of hatred and anger. Among the Dividers his systems scan an imperfect angle . . . The shoulder pad of a Marine, depicting the most holy equation of their chapter; E=MC2. Divined by the founder Einstein, it is considered nothing less than inspiration from the Emperor himself. Clearly this Divider made mistakes in his repair calculations, the mistake of a fresh Integer and shameful to him and who is supposed to check his equations, Cantor Himself.
>>
>>43571080
Part 2

Cantor prowled up to the marine, examining the imperfection for the work of Chaos. A few degrees here, a few degrees there. All of them shames heaped upon him and the rest of the Fourth Company, dubbed the Parametrics making this especially disgraceful.
Moving to the front of the Marine he spoke, his tone even and without change,
"Divider, what is the Parametric equation - divined by some of the Chapters most revered Mathematicians."
He could almost smell the nervousness of the Divider as he spoke.
"x^2 + y^2 = 1, Brother-Formulae."
>>
>>43571094
Part 3

Cantor leaned in, his suits Machine-Spirit informing him it was a 350 degree angle - not that he needed it to tell him that.
"When is the Parametric Equation taught to Neophytes, Divider"
He could actually smell the fear now, his helmets filters informing him of its presence.
"Year Two, Brother-Formulae. As part of the maintinence rites of our most calculating chapter."
Cantor increased his lean by 5 degrees, keeping the volume of his voice even as he spoke
"Then explain to me how you made the mistake of incorrectly reparing your left pauldron, leading to a variance of 3.8 degrees along the moste holy equation of the venerated Brother Einstein, Divider."
>>
>>43571112
Part 4

The Divider seemed to gather himself for a moment, undoubtedly his helmet showing him his previous work for him to go over.
"Brother-Formulae, I incorrectly entered the equation during my maintinence rites. This led to the variance you speak of. This shame shall forever mark me, Brother-Formulae."
Cantor returned to his normal posture, radiating dissapointment.
"How was the equation incorrectly entered when it is pre-programmed into your helmet, Divider?"
The Divider was quick to explain,
"In our last deployment my helm was damaged, leading to several systems needing reprogramming. I incorrectly assumed i could correct this myself, Brother-Formulae."
Cantor shook his head, the mistakes of a Neophyte. He would have to be punished. Cantor looked to the side of the room, beckoning the observing Conjugate - who was quick to aproach.
"Conjugate, take this Divider to the Mathematorum. Place him in the Hall of Incompletion, where he shall contemplate his dishonor and arrogance. Take his power armor to the Mathematicians to be properly repaired."
The Divider seemed resigned, hanging his head as the Chaplain led him off.
Cantor almost felt sorry for the Divider. Almost.
>>
>>43571128
Part 5

The Divider and the Conjugate marched down the Codex Grey hallways of the Pythagoras, its perfectly linear hallways only broken by words of inspiration and holy equations, writen perfectly to scale with one another. As they walked, the Conjugate spoke.
"Divider, I advise you to contemplate the incomplete equations carefully. They hold deep meaning and show the struggle of many of our most wise. Not even the greatest Mathematician is without error."
The Divider sighed, hanging his head.
"Brother-Conjugate, with respect . . . What if some things were not meant to be solved? I wonder at this sometimes, not even the great Einstein could make a formula for the perfect battle. Nor could he predict the movements of the Warp."
The Conjugate looks at the brother worriedly, those are the thoughts on the first steps to the end result of heresy of the highest degree.
"The machinations of the Warp and the failure of even our greatest equations are the machinations of the great Enemy. What brings these thoughts, Divider?"
The Divider looks torward the end of the hallway, where Pythagoran Theorum was etched and got ever closer. They were almost at the Hall of Incompletion.
"During the Lectures of the High Conjugate i began to ponder his words, what led the traitors to leaving us. What if there truly is no solution? Have our greatest minds works been wasted? Their labors without purpose?"
>>
>>43571140
Part 6

The Conjugate carefully considered this, his next words would decide the fate of this Divider.
"Brother, I am not a great Mathematician and cannot answer your questions to your satisfaction. I will reccomend you go and find the Works of Brother Godel, located in the Mathematorum. Examine his thoughts and equations, contemplate them deeply."
They now walk through the Mathematorum itself, its even aisles and 90 degree intersections defining its shape. The entrance to the Hall fo Incompletion loomed ahead. A place where every failed, wrong, or otherwise incomplete equation lie etched into the walls. Forever marking them as a Incomplete Equation and the pinnacle of madness for the chapter. To be forced to stay inside for a day was a common punishment of Dividers, making them contemplate their own failures and work out on their own how to improve them.
It was dangerous to some, their OCD minds rejecting the equations written at odd angles. Refusing to contemplate the improperly spaced and out of scale to the next letter. Their fate was one of sadness and despair, sometimes perminantly lost to the madness of imperfection.
They reached the door, the Conjugate laying a hand on his brothers shoulder before walking away as the way slowly opened.
Giving a glance to the perfection of the room around him, the Divider stepped inside the pitch black hall and waited as the doors closed behind him.
Then the lights came on, and he was stricken with horror.
Imperfection. Heresy. It was everywhere in this room.
The Divider only hoped he could weather this day without succumbing to the madness of the Hall of Incompletion.
>>
File: koch-snowflake.png (6 KB, 368x330) Image search: [Google]
koch-snowflake.png
6 KB, 368x330
Next bit of writefaggotry.
By the Venerable SK

Part 1

On the war-torn surface of Kespinoth VIIb, the forces of Chaos had come to plunder the mining colony of all its usable ores and metals to deny them to the Imperium. Hordes of raving mad cultists and warp monsters of the most foul sort fell upon the moon, and at their head were the blackest of traitors: Chaos Space Marines from the Iron Warriors Legion.

An uneducated observer might ponder at the vast forces being brought to bear, and the formidable defenses that sought to repulse them over such a small moon in a remote system, but this was no ordinary planetoid. Raw adamantium, one of the rarest and hardest metals known to the tech adepts of Mars was found here in its natural state, and given its durability, was a prime material for constructing the warships of the Imperium as well as the various armours in use by its forces.

Such is the value of adamanium that an entire demi-legion of the Titan war machines was stationed there in defence, but even the mighty god-machines were unable to stop the demons, traitor marines and cultists that descended upon Kespinoth VIIb. The Iron Warriors were masters of siege-craft, and with 10 millenia to practice their ways since turning from the Emperor's light, truly they are without equal in such arts. Thus it was that the defenders were hard pressed, and despite all the terrible odds against them, held out for an astonishing 23 days. It was just long enough for reinforcements to arrive.
>>
>>43571176
Part 2

On the opposite side of the gas giant Kespinoth VII, the fabric of space and time tore asunder and reality itself gave way to the undescribable horrors of the Immaterium as the Battle Barge Pythagoros emerged from the Warp into real-space, accompanied by the Strike Cruisers Archimedes and Sagan.

The towering resplendent citadel, its length making a perfect golden ratio with its depth and breadth, held in space for exactly one second before beginning a dive that ended with it inside of the roiling surface of the gas giant in an exact orbit just far enough below the colossal storms and heavy wind shears of a multitude of gasses to obscure the small fleet from the forces of the Enemy in orbit of the moon.

Aboard the Battle Barge, Chapter Master Euler prepared his men for deployment. The entirety of the Conservation of Energy, with its 28 indivisibles, 12 primes, and 43 exponents stood ready for teleporter deployment, alongside the full strength of Universal Gravitation, the Fourier Transformation aboard the Archimedes, and half the strength of the Maclurian Series aboard the Sagan. The teleportation, when activated, had been perfectly targeted at the center of the Iron Warrior siege lines, as determined by the tech adepts of the Mechanicus, and was coordinated with a Skiitari and Titan Leion sally such as to achieve maximum surprise with overwhelming force delivered with pinpoint precision. While a lesser chapter may have suffered teleportal errors or lost members due to mis-calculations, no such discrepancies were allowed in the calculations of the Right Angles.

The perfect Koch Snowflake of the deployed Right Angles was a beautiful thing to behold, almost as beautiful as the devastation that it wrought within the ranks of the Emperor's foes. At the end of the day, the Iron Warriors had been vanquished, and above their corpses, with cultists trampled and deamons banished back to the warp, stood the mathematical perfection of the Right Angles.
>>
Last bit of writefaggotry.

+From the notes of Inquisitor Vargoth, Regarding Space Marine Chapters+

The Right Angles are an outlier among Space Marine Chapters. Some of their work is borderline heretical, but their loyalty to the Emperor is difficult to call into question.

It is unknown if their extreme OCD is caused by a mutation of their geneseed, or has to due with their indoctrination techniques. It is not very likely that they screen all potential neophytes for this obsessiveness, it would make the already small pool of potential candidates even smaller. Either way, they have an obsession with mathematical perfection in all that they do. One of their punishments involves being forced to gaze upon imperfect equations, it is apparently extremely effective.
>>
>>43571210
The Right Angles are a known deviant from the Codex Astartes. Their teams of Mathematicians devoted a few decades in the 36th Millenium to finding every single loophole that they could in it's wording, they continue to take advantage of this at every turn.
Estimates of their numbers are around 2,000 marines. They generally operate in four groups of 500, but I personally believe the number is closer to 1,600 total marines.
Their tactics commonly deviate from the Codex, but they spend much of their time on the fringes of Imperial Space so it is to be expected that they adapt to their current situation.
The organization of the chapter seems to fall into the ten perscribed companies, but their numbers are close to double that of a standard chapter. Their Tenth Company is also noted to be a regular company, recruits seem to be divied up among the standing companies and put into an apprentice program.
>>
>>43571219
In combat the Right Angles prefer an adaptation of the Steel Rain tactic, using archeotech teleporters aboard their fleet to assault enemies on the ground. This doubles in helping reduce their casualty rates, allowing them to 'beam' forces back onto their ships when they are in danger of losing.
Note: The Mechanicus has repeatedly attempted to pressure the chapter for this technology, but it seems that they have little leverage on the Chapter. An Inquisitorial Investigation turned up nothing, except for the fact that many of the 'Mathematicians' amongst this chapter are not recorded as to being trained on Mars.
When forced into a prolonged ground conflict the Right Angles take advantage of heavy artillery barrages and air strikes followed by attacks from armored elements. Direct Marine attack seems to be a last-resort tactic.
>>
>>43571238
In regards to relations with other chapters, the Right Angles are very insular and tend not to interact with other Astartes unless neccesary.
There are two notable exceptions to this. Their Progenators, the Imperial Fists and their Cousins the Black Templars. The Imperial Fists have kept quite close with the Right Angles, both have regular contact with eachother and often exchange resources. The Black Templars are frequently encountered by the four fleets of the Right Angles. The two Chapters, while not exactly close, seem to share a brotherly rivalry of sorts. It is unknown how this is celebrated, as the messenger who was to invite me to the festivities conveniently got lost.
>>
>>43571249
As regarding heresy: The Right Angles are a outlier chapter. They have some borderline heretical tendencies and diverge from the Codex Astartes in many instances, however I would say that actions against them is not worth the trouble it would cause. I say this because of their connections to not only the Imperial Fists, but also the Black Templars. To attempt and force them to comply to the Codex Astartes would draw both Chapter's ire, and a Inquisitorial attempt to remove the Right Angles from Imperial Service might be met with force of arms.
They are a loyal chapter of marines that do little to spread their erratic tendencies.

Net Assessment:
Not Worth Exterminatus.
>>
Thats all there is at the moment.
Going to be doing more writing shit, any suggestions?
>>
>>43571280
Any special weapons or tactics used? Formations as equations with each marine preforming their part perfectly synchronized appearing as much of a dance as an attack pattern?
>>
>>43571346
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Their special equipment would probably be along the lines of heavy use of Stalker-Pattern boltguns. I could see larger artillery platforms being deployed for drawn out combat.
>>
>>43571394
Perhaps all their ranged weapons that are las/bolt/solid projectile based are tweaked for maximum accuracy and minimal deviation for shot placement?
>>
>>43571455
That fits pretty well, actually. Not too sure about the las weaponry, how would it work and not be flashlight-tier.

Also, could someone more familiar with Deathwatch than I make some rules for them beyond 'Imperial Fist Rules'
>>
>>43571533
Well, it would be for things like lascannons.
>>
Whats their take on grammar? Is sacred geometry touched on? are only 5's and 0's allowable or do some actions require other wholes? Im assuming decimals are out of the equation here. Is there a perfect equation for aestheticism of clothing and physical appearance in general?
>>
>>43571551
I had not considered Holy Geometry, how could this be tied in you think?
>>
File: image.gif (50 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
50 KB, 460x460
>>43571671
Not sure. Formations could be linked to it. I'm just asking because i have mild OCD and geometry that LOOKS good like those mandala fractals using only circles but get enough circles and you can make any picture you want. Flower of life was always a nice one cause you can keep adding circles and you'll never mess it up so long as you follow the rules.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.