[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever played a deaf/blind/mute character?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 400x384
Has anyone ever played a deaf/blind/mute character?
>>
I am currently playing an oracle in a pathfinder game who is deaf and blind. it's a good deal of fun.
>>
File: 3alnQ.jpg (331 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
3alnQ.jpg
331 KB, 5000x5000
I have a friend who plays mute characters because he doesn't like to roleplay and just want to kill things.
>>
I'm blind in real life, so am usually encouraged to play blind characters, even though I like playing sighted characters.
>>
File: 1447074966572.png (152 KB, 425x623) Image search: [Google]
1447074966572.png
152 KB, 425x623
>>43565701
>I'm blind in real life
>>
>>43565701
Then how are you posting here? Braile?
>>
>>43565782
text to speech most likely
>>
>>43565701

That is shit, you need a better group my friend. You should be able to play sighted characters if you want.
>>
>>43565805
Assuming he's not trolling, does text-to-speech even work with a text-based forum like 4chan and the like (reddit, tumblr etc.)?
>>
File: ZWGgksY.png (58 KB, 1029x409) Image search: [Google]
ZWGgksY.png
58 KB, 1029x409
>>43565835
>>
>>43565782
I have a friend who helps me post.

>>43565810
I get to play sighted characters, there's just a pressure from them to play blind ones. Like they always act confused or surprised when they learn my character is not disabled.
>>
>>43565805
>>43565835
Text-to-speech never works properly unless you have the exact perfect accent all the time.
>>
I've played a blind character once. Had a seeing-eye lesbian to help them out.
>>
File: 1447078757631.jpg (164 KB, 426x306) Image search: [Google]
1447078757631.jpg
164 KB, 426x306
>>43565893
>"used to read in sunlight"
Nah, that has to be bullshi-
>doublecheck wikipedia
>prolonged exposure to sunlight can actually cause cataracts

THE SUN, THE FUCKING SUN can cause blindness. And not staring directly into the sun past the point where it hurts you, just fucking BEING in the sun can make you blind.

Fuck this gay planet. This planet must be the fucking Australia of the universe. Once we get into contact with extra-terrestrials, they'll considers us a horrible warrior race bred for combat on a planet where fucking everything and everyone tries to kill, maim, disease or disable us, even our fucking star.
>>
>>43566019
I'm not sure that there's any particular reason to expect they had things any better than us. We're in an unusually good position, all things considered. Probably we'll all be able to share stories about the way our homeworlds were crazy and laugh.
>>
I've got a deaf/mute character in reserve, but never played one yet.
>>
>>43566019
it's even worse if you're pale, even your skin is working against you.
>>
>>43565893
>never got surgery to remove the cataracts
Must be American.
>>
File: 1445917990573.jpg (198 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1445917990573.jpg
198 KB, 800x600
>>43565595
My party once came across a cult lead by a warlock who had her tongue stolen by the demon she made her pact with. I had a lot of fun building her up, having subtle confrontations where she would slowly lean in and whisper to an underling to be exclaimed to the party.

It became a bit too comical in the end though, when the party was hot on her heels and she had to actually talk, and I phonetically described her speaking.

>"Sho 'ou 'ink aat oo've un? ahh'll sho 'oo too pow'ah!"
>>
I play blind characters a lot, I don't know why I do it so often.
The last time I did was in a Scion game where my son of odin had no eyes, so he saw through his raven familiar. I guess that isn't technically being blind. But he as a person was.
The bird also worked as a film projector.
>>
File: Refreshable_Braille_display.jpg (15 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Refreshable_Braille_display.jpg
15 KB, 512x384
>>43565782
>>
>>43566019
Yup, Sun is killing us slowly, yet we need it to live. Poetic, isn't it?

>>43565595
blind Malkavian oraculum and mute Guardsman, neither of them was particularly challenging because a) lolAuspex and b) with Fel under 20 you're not supossed to talk anyway
>>
I used to play a gnome fighter with an affinity for tinkering.
>Made cool shotgun
>looked at explosion too close
>Became blind and still blindly shot things.
>Made a deal and lost my sense of touch
>Next session i was forced to retire him or else im kicked out.

Overall i liked the little bastard.
>>
>>43565595
Yes, his name was Mutey, and he fell off of a cliff.
>>
>>43565595
I once played a sorceress who was mute, but had a talking raven familiar. The raven wasn't a direct mouthpiece, but served to describe her thoughts an intentions, but through the lens of his own limited perspective.
He referred to her as "Shiny Thing" as his understanding of her name (Crystal) and he saw the world in three categories, things to eat, shiny things, and things to poop on.
>>
>>43565595
Played an assassin in DH who was mute and wrote everything he had to say on a dataslate. I actually wrote all of his dialogue. Somehow, I ended up being the party's idea guy, so I had to learn to write fast and simple.
>>
>>43566208
Dude that's pretty lame. They didn't have to talk to the party in that situation, especially for some meaningless exclamation that petty and cliche.
>>
In mutants and masterminds I played a super powered mime once. He was bitten by a radioactive mime and got mime themed powers. In addition to the ability to create invisible objects (including complex ones like vehicles and firearms) he was physically incapable of producing any noise (making him functionally mute) and I often had to mime to communicate with the rest of the party.

He daylighted as an eccentric art critic who hasn't spoken in years because "Only in front of the greatest art will he allow his voice to be heard" or some other shit excuse like that.
>>
>>43566722
Oh I know, it wasn't an exact quote, just an example of how I did it. I'm not that terrible and cliche a writer.
>>
I had a blind character idea I haven't gotten to use yet. They're an old dude from a warrior culture where dying in battle is honorable and anything less is a great dishonor. This guy was so badass though that he managed to get to a ripe old age without dying in combat, and went blind.

So, because he was such a paragon of his god's teachings, his god grants him sight and strength but only during a battle, so that he has the ability to earn his good death.
>>
I'm playing a mute character right now.
She carries around a small slate and chalk for casual conversation, though she also has an artifact that can act as a voice synthesizer. She doesn't use it very often, since the supernatural is verboten and she's pretending to be a totally normal single mother working as a bookbinder.

>>43566607
I feel like the average raven would be smarter than that, to be honest.
>>
>>43566019
Hey anon, did you know living is slowly killing you
>>
File: necrons.jpg (239 KB, 1360x854) Image search: [Google]
necrons.jpg
239 KB, 1360x854
>>43566019
Where were you when we discovered that we were the Necrons all along?
>>
>>43566019
>THE SUN, THE FUCKING SUN can cause blindness
That could happens because of white pages, they reflects sunrays.
The same happens with snow, snow is bad for your eyes.
>>
>>43565595
Played a mute once.
Mostly sat around outside bars and taverns, acting all sadsack, with his pet raptor and a chalkboard.
Tended to get into trouble more often than the rest of the party, due to linking his senses to one of his more adorable raptor creations, and letting cute women pick up/cuddle them.

Then I became the GM, and he got relegated to supporting the Paladin and Tao.
>>
I once played with a guy who made his character mute because it gave him character points. It was mostly just annoying because his character had to buy a notebook and pencil and write everything down instead of communicating normally.
>>
>>43568249
Anima?
If your name is either Andrew or Dylan, I'm sorry. You could've brought it up to me, and I would've stopped with what I pulled in >>43568068.
>>
>>43568307
Not even close, amigo. Sorry to rob you of closure.
>>
>>43568376
No sweat. I was just making sure.
>>
Once played a monk type hero in a mutants and masterminds game where he was physically blind but could see in a large spherical area around him with a unknown energy. Basically I had super sonar and a bunch of high flying combat powers so I was the brawler of the bunch. Good times were had, especially when everyone else found out I couldn't read words since they weren't displayed inside my "super energy sonarl.
>>
>>43565595
I once played a deaf, dumb, and blind kid whose only skill was pinball.
>>
>>43568514
Never again, Tommy. That character was broken as hell and you know it.
>>
>>43565595
I once played a blind justice with a thing for dragons and the taste of red.
>>
>>43565595
I played a blind rogue once that did wetwork for the local lord. He had blind fighting, but was still a relatively poor fighter. So he carried a wand of darkness.
>>
I once played a mute Witch, basically a refluffed Warlock.
She could read and write (Though half the group couldn't) and had an adopted daughter (She was planning on eating to gain Immortality) who she shared a private sign-language with.
It did mean that many spells with Verbal components she had to research ways to cast without. I also wrote most of what I said down or otherwise her daughter would speak for her.

Eventually her daughter became a demi-god to prevent the BBEG from doing the same, she found out her mother was a heartless monster that had just been grooming her this entire time for a cannibalistic ritual and turned her into a raven before leaving the party that not only knew of her plan but never made any attempts to convince the Witch otherwise.
In our current campaign within the same setting but over a century later, there is a Goddess of Children and among her duties is protecting children from danger.
She is often represented by a mute raven who'll deliver messages on the Goddess's behalf.

I'd like to imagine that after technically getting immortality, a semi-divine nature and ultimately cheating her way out of the contract she had drawn with a somewhat powerful Fey, she's ultimately happy with it all.
>>
>>43565595
>Has anyone ever
Ever? In the whole world? Billions of people for as long as people have existed?
No. Not even once. You are the first. Congratulations.
>>
Played a mute Ranger in a 3.5 game once. It worked out fine in that group because it was pretty "kick-in-the-door" heavy, so it's not like people were paying much attention to what was being said IC versus OOC. Actually, being able to say "I didn't actually say that, remember my guy's mute!" probably saved my ass more than once - I tend to lose all common sense and reason when I'm playing an RPG.
>>
>>43565614
>Deaf and blind
>Can't see anything or talk to anyone

Deaf OR blind is one thing, but both? What do you even do? How do you even know the party is there?
>>
File: planeswalker builder.png (999 KB, 1562x1186) Image search: [Google]
planeswalker builder.png
999 KB, 1562x1186
Haven't played one, but I did make this snowflake for the Magic lore general.
>>
While not blind, I've (actually fairly recently), played a monk with no arms. I went and did a lot of theorycrafting about how he could do adventuring, and what he couldn't do.

So I ended up with a monk that was described as fighting, "Without ever pausing to touch the ground". Call me a weaboo, but I thought it was pretty neat describing his fighting during the sessions as doing various kicks and flips off of people and nearby objects. Outside of combat, he was constantly pestered by people wanting to express their condolences, so he ended up buying a pair of locked wooden arms to hold up the sleeves of his robes.
>>
>>43571608

Oracles get supernatural abilities to counter their curses; they're more a flavor thing than real weaknesses.
>>
>>43565595
Mute 'child' Vampire in VtM. Was fun.

He was a vicious little cunt.
>>
>>43565595
i played a merc with his tongue cut out. it got weird trying to communicate with other players when in a rush, especially in combat.
>>
>>43565595
I've played a blind monk that could feel stuff around him throu the earth, like that girl in Avatar does.
And as if it wasn't edgy enough already, I have a player on another game that plays an anime character which can't hear and only communicates with sign language and reading lips.
In a post apocalyptic setting.
Where half of people don't even know how to speak one language.
And the other half doesn't even have a regular mouth.
>>
>>43565595
I played a paladin who'd basically been found half-dead with an injury that destroyed his vocal cords, and was healed and raised by the church, hence why he became a paladin.

You're expecting an edge-lord character, right? WRONG. This guy was as far from edgy as you could get; he made up for his lack of speech by being as physically expressive as possible. Over-the-top reactions, goofy facial expressions, vigorous hand-gestures, and complex games of charades; he did them all. He was silly and playful and was doing his damndest to ship two of the other party members together, and it was awesome.

...I miss him.
>>
>>43572426
Sounds horribly fucking obnoxious. You'd get laughed right out of my table.
>>
>>43565595
Once I've played deaf alchemist - i've lost my hearing in stupid accident near the end of campaign.
It was ties to larp too - so I had been deaf while larping.
It was at least interesting.
>>
>>43572473
Don't be a cunt.
>>
>>43565805
How can you browse 4chan with text 2 speech?

Do you live alone?
>>
>>43572426
I wasn't expecting an edgelord. You saying I did only makes me want to insult whatever you did come up with
>>
>tfw DM limits how handicapped you can be

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.