[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
D&D 5 Healer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: healer.jpg (71 KB, 700x406) Image search: [Google]
healer.jpg
71 KB, 700x406
I am casual as fuck playing D&D 5 sometime next week, I have been asked to play as a healer, I hate clerics and Palas, but gotta heal. I initially thought of some apothecary arcanist or something but realised D&D doesnt have that.

I am defenitely not going Palas, so defaulted to cleric, what is the best way to be a human centric cleric out to push his temple's agenda and heal but turn on his companions when need be?

What abilities and advantages should I choose?
>>
First thing you need to know about Clerics. They're not just healers. You're a holy warrior of your church, sent out to bring the light into the dark places of the earth, to fight evil wherever it may lurk. You're almost like a Paladin, but with a bit less focus on fighting and more focus on divine magic. And that magic is absolutely not limited to healing. There's buffs, utility spells, and even some useful damaging spells in there too. Not to mention that Turn Undead makes you the go to guy for dealing with a major enemy group. And in any other fight you can stand your ground too, providing frontline support with the fighter. Just keep that in mind, and you'll be smiting and cleaving with the best in no time.
>>
File: Cleric_Jozan_PHB3e.jpg (132 KB, 400x527) Image search: [Google]
Cleric_Jozan_PHB3e.jpg
132 KB, 400x527
>>43564652
Postan clerics.
>>
this thread....this is a thread i can enjoy
I have been playing my groups cleric for about 4 years now and i wouldnt have it any other way
>>
File: 246152.jpg (13 KB, 338x550) Image search: [Google]
246152.jpg
13 KB, 338x550
>>43564721
Interesting,would Pelor be a ideal deity or is Oghma who is my current god of choice the best, since I wanted to make the guy quite humanity first type and a little Garithos if possible.

Like a tolerant racist.
>>
>>43564789
Definitely Pelor. Great deity for a first-time Cleric. I don't know about 5e, but in earlier editions he was the only one in the core rulebooks with the healing domain.
>>
File: 66049eeaa1bf.jpg (137 KB, 640x896) Image search: [Google]
66049eeaa1bf.jpg
137 KB, 640x896
>>43564778
Cool, what gods do you follow, what are the limits to bad behavior that you are able to get away with? Also what alignment is best in the case presented here>>43564789
?
>>
File: 96774.jpg (22 KB, 400x247) Image search: [Google]
96774.jpg
22 KB, 400x247
>>43564846
Sweet Pelor it is then, I still remember the Pelor is Zarrus thread from a while back, I was wondering how I can pull shenanigans with that in game...
>>
>>43564850
For me it was a older edition but I was a lawful good follower of Amaterasu.
I didn't get away with dick ether i had to heal everything from plants to most of the enemy we finished off eventual i just became a undead slaying mad man
>>
>>43564917
>I didn't get away with dick ether i had to heal everything from plants to most of the enemy we finished
This grinds my gears.
>>
>>43564652
>Healer
>Doesn't pick druid.

What are you even doing, man?
>>
>>43564652
Depends, do you just want to be a healer or heal+combat monster?
If the latter just go cleric, maybe ask your DM if you can refluff it
If the former there are plenty on /tg/ who'll happily give you advice on how to go full healslut, most of it'll be about RPing it though
>>
>>43564652
>I initially thought of some apothecary arcanist or something but realised D&D doesnt have that.

But it does, anon. Bards are arcane casters with healing spells. Before the obligatory "but I don't wanna be the Music Man", nobody said you had to play them that way.
>>
>>43568490
>Pretty much only get Cure Wound spells
>This is enough to play a dedicated Healer
>>
>>43569408
Except for the class features that work explicitly through singing
>>
>>43564652
Play Cleric, go life, grab magic initiate for free as variant human, grab good berry, heal 6+ hp per berry.
>>
>>43572233
Sorry, 4 hp per berry until level 6, then its 7 hp per berry. That's with a lvl 1 slot. 10 berries per cast.
>>
>>43572233
>>43572279
Wait shit I'm getting things wrong. Im tired. 4 per berry and at 6 you gain life per berry. I think.
>>
>>43564652
Play what you want. Any group that won't respect your (reasonable) choices isn't worth playing with.

No d&d is better than bad d&d
>>
File: lay on hands.gif (2 MB, 270x177) Image search: [Google]
lay on hands.gif
2 MB, 270x177
>>43564652
Healing isn't that essential in 5e, proactive measures like buffs and killing the enemy faster tend to be better.

That said, if you must cast healing spells and don't want to be a cleric or pal, you could go druid or bard, as they can both heal. Even a single level via multiclass can work, such as a bard 1/sorcerer x who can heal two people at once by using healing word + twin spell.

If starting at level 4 or higher (or if you are variant human) you have feat options as well. A high CHA character like a sorcerer, warlock or bard can psyche everyone up with temp HP via the inspiring leadership feat. At level 3 or higher, a Rouge (thief) with the healer feat can use healers kits mid-battle.
>>
>>43564652
Why not just play a bard with the Guild Artisan (alchemist) background? You can into healing magic, and you can potentially use alchemy to make basic healing potions during downtime.
>>
>>43572292
>Play what you want. Any group that won't respect your (reasonable) choices isn't worth playing with.
I have played it a while back, that was 2006-07 so I know some basics, most of the people are new and are a company of whiners, but they are my friends and a friend in need is a friend in deed. And I dont think cleric of pelor who will eventually class into LE/NE rogue and start poisoning can be all that bad.

>>43572198
>>43572285
Cheers I will keep that in mind.
>>
>>43564652
Have I an idea for you.

Lawful whatever human/half-elf, Tempest domain cleric, you're basically some kind of a Thor...You heal but equally dish out the thunder when the situation warrants it (including on your teammates, depends on how you define your cleric ethos). Take the dual-wielder feat if starting out as human, then ask your GM for dual warhammers (1d8).

Or play a druid instead, multiclass (if starting lvl>1) with one level in barbarian, then take circle of the moon, you're basically a Raging Bear that will either heal or kill (trivia: bears are actually healers in Native American culture). Pick human then take polearm master for shits, take the shillelagh cantrip, and you're a motherfookin' quarterstaff badass when you run out of heals and shifts. Gnarly!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.