[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k RPG General: I can't come up with clever title
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 20
File: 1441742331134.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1441742331134.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z7zgas8lm1cw2#mk26o8f7w9uxm

Enemies Without:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l7lem6jxxnl6nu2/Enemies+Without.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.
>>
So, did anyone of you ever managed to have an enjoyable campaign of Only War oris it the most boring system ever?
>>
>>43563601

Waiting for this Anon to post their Christmas Deathwatch story. Now I've started to come up with a Dark Heresy story to run that's along the lines of The Grinch. Like a Nergal demon stealing all of the food from the Hive Houses or something.
>>
How does one into human(ish) melee psyker assuming the GM isn't physically present to choke me for my bullshit?
>>
>>43564670
Which system?
>>
>>43564670
Barring specific knowledge of your psychic capabilities?
Force Field because why the fuck not.
Force Sword because fuck you, Force and Balanced.
Parry +20 for never gettin hit.
Counter Attack for "fuck you, don't you try and hit me, bitch"
Good Armour, because you can't always parry.
>>
>>43564924
Add mutation: Winged for extra FUN.
>>
>>43564924
Force weps are hard as fuck to get
>>
>>43564977
Or a Jump Pack and the Raptor talent.

>>43565026
That they are. However a lot of systems have an opportunity to burn Profit Factor, or your equivalent to increase purchase probability. And for something that incredible, it may well be worth it.

Or you know, work with your GM to create a mission where your end goal is getting the materials needed to forge one, or reclaim an old one.
As a GM, I would be ecstatic if my players put in that much effort, or even really just engaged more. Less effort for me, and I know they're going to be doing something they'll enjoy.

In a pinch, a Power Weapon can be a semi-decent stand in. But then you don't have access to the "kill the Hive Tyrant with one stab" level of bullshit that Force Weapons can do.
>>
File: 1291462186800.jpg (346 KB, 584x594) Image search: [Google]
1291462186800.jpg
346 KB, 584x594
Quickly, tell me how you burned your very first Fate Point in 40k RPG!
>>
>>43565444
Unclean Spirit charged me and would have killed me (the relatively wimpy Adept) in one hit.
Burnt a Fate Point, and his swipe was deflect off my Autogun, which was destroyed.
Thankfully I still had my pistol, and the fucker ate a big Righteous Fury right in its face.

Got that point back later when I used my (totally sanctioned, honest) knowledge of "occult" rituals to invert the cult's big summoning ritual, causing it to drag them all screaming into the Warp to be devoured by Daemons for their failure.
>>
So my DM just told me I couldn't research how to build a Rail Gun. His explanation was just 'Because you can't'.

Is there a better reason?
>>
>>43565744

otherwise you have to suck 37 tau dicks
>>
File: 1437962942547.jpg (248 KB, 958x781) Image search: [Google]
1437962942547.jpg
248 KB, 958x781
>>43565444
A hive ganger shot my techpriest with an autogun.

This was, of course, happening in the middle of a cult's little chapel.

We were, however, defending the cultists from the gangers.

Our mission, you see, was to dispose the seemingly benevolent cult's leader, and make it look accidental so she may not become a martyr. The gangers were about to make her die like one.

Of course, we were not just sitting around until the gangers showed up. The entire party was hiding in a vent on the ceiling of the chapel when the gangers showed up and started shooting everything... So we blew open the vent and came out in a big pile.

Thankfully the gangers only shot me to pieces.
>>
>>43565744
because its heresy.
>>
>>43565744
Because to do it from scratch would take centuries, not necessarily to make it, but for all the red tape of getting it inspected and approved.
>>
>>43565757

But it uses relatively common components and is based off 20th century understanding of Physics and Electric Circuitry.

>>43565821

Why? I'm not reverse-engineering anything.
>>
>>43565744
>research how to build a Rail Gun
Just buy an Electro-Pult from Sollex.
It's in Rogue Trader's book "Faith and Coin".

You're welcome.
>>
>>43565852

Can't I just make two and send one for inspecting? Goddamn. I wanna field-test the thing.
>>
>>43565871

37. Dicks.
>>
File: Sollex Electro-pult.png (225 KB, 962x102) Image search: [Google]
Sollex Electro-pult.png
225 KB, 962x102
>>43565881
Forgot the stat line.
>>
>>43565891
Sure, if you want to make icons and statues weep tears of blood and maybe summon daemons.
>>
File: 1314173344860.jpg (74 KB, 360x322) Image search: [Google]
1314173344860.jpg
74 KB, 360x322
>>43565757
fuck off, attention whore

>>43565744
no, he's a cockmuffin. show this thread to your DM because it says: "you are unimaginative fucknugget and shouldn't be DMing ever. Non dAdMech Hereteks research all sorts of stuff all the time, it's just the consequences such research has (such as skitarii trying to murder you 24/7. But since you are too stupid to understand potential plot hooks and are probably lacking in the knowledge of the lore (or just lazy cunt, which makes it even worse), you just brushed it off with "nu u can't i dm im right". Have some shame and sodomise yourself with a cactus, you cock swinging twat."
you're welcome
>>
>>43565925
Ooooooh, the perfect weapon for an assassin to wield for some Rogue Trader murder...
>>
>>43565744
Why are you trying to research this? How do you know the information required to consider it? The thing is, very few people know how different forces work well enough to consider something as complex as a railgun. Magnets really are as mystical as weird clowns from the deep south think they are.
>>
>>43566016
Deathwath states there is a mechanicus sect, working on reverse-engineering and "cleansing" xeno tech in the mane of the omnissiah (the book hints this is how EMP grenades made their way to Erioch armouries), so it's not exactly unplausible to assume such a research takes place.
Hell, I'm pretty sure after latest campaigns quite a lot of techpriests, even if covertly, is trying to uncover secrets of devastating tau technology.
>>
>>43566016

Fair Warning: This is my first interaction with Warhammer at all.

Fun mostly. I'm the group's Tech guy and it seems to be in character for the Tech guy to be playing around with Tech. Magnets are around, observe effects, play around with them try to see what you can do etc.

I just want to practice science man and if I can create a big gun to gift to my colleague that likes big guns then we all win no?
>>
>>43566050
Thats a setting issue and is up to the GM of whatever campaign you're playing in. Why is the PC trying to build a railgun? The DM is probably just incapable of dealing with it if they gave a flat NO, but i would allow it if the player was a rogue techpriest with a background in physics, i gave them an archeotech railgun, or if they had access to Tau tech.
>>
>>43566134
ok, you're a newb who doesnt know the setting. Read some books, learn the setting, the 'tech guy' has absolutely no fucking idea what he's doing, and considers any modifications to be heresy, the same as taking a shit on an altar during the middle of a crowded mass. You are not a scientist. You are a possibly lobotomized priest who has some motor oil and knows which buttons to press to get lights to turn on.
>>
>>43566176

This entirely kills my interest in the setting's Tech not gonna lie.
>>
>>43566134
ad mechs are dogmatic, ritualistic automatons. all innovation is proscribed because last time they tried to invent something they almost accidently the whole humanity.
the only way to get "new" tech is to recover old one, which is known to be safe.
>>
http://pastebin.com/tnqdK68D
can someone give me reccomendations on how to make my black crusade character more killy? any splat books are fine, i just want to feel useful
>>
>>43566202
That's the point.
The 40K universe is an old one.
For the last few thousand years, mankind has been repressing most advancements for the simple reason that they know what happens.

When you think outside the box, you find what's waiting outside.

Daemons, Anon.

Daemons are outside the box.
>>
File: HEAL THE TANK.jpg (121 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
HEAL THE TANK.jpg
121 KB, 780x520
>>43566202

pray harder son

your faith is weak

the Omnissiah and the Trinity provides
>>
>>43566202
welcome to 40k, everything is shit, people are stupid, feeling intense emotions feeds lovecraftian elder gods from another dimension. The reason that things are like this is that if they arent, then there are 50 trillion demons raping you with barbed wire dicks, in every orifice, for all eternity in a realm where time means nothing. If you're gonna play, then learn the basics of the setting first-all this shit is covered in the rulebooks.
>>
File: th.jpg (11 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
11 KB, 300x200
I did 56d10+560 damage in my dh game today. Shot a Defilier with a twin linked heavy las mounted on a chimera and the ammo cook off caused a chain reaction through the servitors leading to a small transport melting down and blowing up,

Dark Mechanicus suck my dick bitch.
>>
>>43566292

I read quite a bit. I was also under the impression that there actually were people that did actual science. Hereteks or something similar.
>>
>>43566332
yeah, sure, if you mean actual science as in chaos-tainted demon-infected technology thats even worse than the Imperium's, and mostly consists of putting spikes on the interior of handguards, BDSM gear and demonic drug combinations. Also, you'll be hunted down and murdered by a galactic-spanning empire called the Mechanicus, who will see you dead no matter what you try. But sure, go be heretek, if your group doesnt murder you on sight for breaking one of the cardinal rules of the setting you might even live long enough to make a railgun before being ganked by a starship full of Skitarii
>>
>>43566310
> 56d10+560 damage
what about penetration?
>>
>>43566393

What's stopping someone from just posturing for the Mechanicus? Like a guy who became a Monk and did the religious stuff merely so he could continue studying in the church?
>>
>>43566439
i'll just ask my gm, he's too bust getting assmad that ive broken his game by raking in xp like a jew
>>
>>43566469
because the only actually useful stuff they teach you how to press buttons and apply machine lube, the rest is prayer and theology-you just are not aware that their is such a thing as magnetic forces, all you know is that when Machine Spirit A is prayed to, given the ritual of awakening, and the Three Holy Buttons are pressed, it attracts metal. If you try to study it, a magos will come along and lobotomise you for heresy long before you actually figure anything out. Even if you have a mind like stephen hawking, if you're a caveman you won't be able to suddenly build a car. Same deal-you're practically a priest from the middle ages, not a scientist.
>>
>>43566202
Then you should know he's grossly exaggerating to the point I'm thinking he got his knowledge from 1d4chan
>>
>>43565871
You're reverse-engineering from the Tau, because the human knowledge of how to make a railgun was lost thousands of years ago. If we had the know-how, you'd see railguns mounted on every dreadnought around.
Tech-priests don't know how to make most shit. They just know how to do the rituals to make things work, which usually happen to fix stuff along the way.

So if you're researching how to make a railgun, you're stealing Tau tech. Which means the Tau, the Adeptus Mechanicus, and the Ordo Xenos are all gonna come down on your ass for theft, heresy, and severe alien taint. Respectively.
>>
>>43566719

I would absolutely love to hear corrections from someone who understands the setting. My group wants to start playing in it and I don't really wanna stop playing with 'em.
>>
File: salty flavor.png (581 KB, 599x825) Image search: [Google]
salty flavor.png
581 KB, 599x825
>>43565962
Who's an attention whore?
>>
>>43566719
>grossly exaggerating
go ahead, tell me where
>>
>>43566782
Ourof curiosity, what system are you playing in?
>>
>>43566782
Only the guys doing the most menial work don't know what they're doing, techpriests and the others sure do. While it is true that rituals ahve to be observed and everything is covered in layers of myth and superstition, like the others said it's usually because there are actual, practical reasons to do so. Some knowledge gets lost with time, but innovation does happen, just look at all the tech that showed up in the last thousands of years, it just takes long because it has to be ratified and sanctioned.
>>
File: 1378667786332_.jpg (10 KB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
1378667786332_.jpg
10 KB, 197x200
>>43565962
...You know dick about 40k, don't you anon?
>>
>>43566923

Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy, not sure. Think it's Dark Heresy.

>>43566941

Guess that's slightly better. Guess I'll see how the game goes.
>>
File: combat techpriest.jpg (641 KB, 1036x764) Image search: [Google]
combat techpriest.jpg
641 KB, 1036x764
>>43566782
I mean, I'm not an expert, and the setting can be interpreted many different ways. Some people believe that the AdMech crack down on any innovation at all, some people believe that the highest-up in the organization don't actually believe in the Omnissiah and are just pretending so the Ecclesiarchy doesn't come down on them like a ton of bricks.
It's been said before that if a tech-priest actually invents something, he should pretend that he "rediscovered" it so that the AdMech doesn't execute him. But I'm not sure where it says that, so it might not be accurate.
One of the important things to know about Warhammer 40k is that there is so much secrecy in the setting, and so much lost knowledge and forbidden knowledge and outright daemonic knowledge, that virtually every fact in the setting is up for debate.
Because of this, it's the GM's job to settle these ambiguities in his campaign. So he could just shut you down and say you can't build a railgun. But because he just said "no" and didn't give you a reason, it's obvious that he wasn't refusing you because of his personal interpretation of the universe. It's because he didn't want to have to figure that out.
He's not showing signs of a good GM, but you may have to abide by his decisions.
>>
>>43566993
Don't follow that anon's advice. That shit only pass on Black Crusade games.

From what I gather, your game isn't.
>>
>>43567045
The games already have an admech mass driver and railguns are a thing in the setting, if the heretek wanted to push in that direction I'd set it up as a long term goal for him
>>
Times the dice saved you?
my first only war campaign is coming to a close next week and it's heavily implied we'll be wiped out as the rebels we're fighting will be supplied with reinforcements from off world chaos ships. We are at a 19th century tech level, with laslock pistols and cavalry charges. THAT BEING said, my character requisitioned for several grenades but got a blank box containing a chest with the inquisition symbol, which could be my ticket off world.
>>
I'm planning on running a grimdark 40k africa campaign where the players are the exploitative white man (Black Crusade)
It's a deathworld once divided by tribalism and infighting, but is currently united after having to push back a hivefleet invasion with the rest of the sector and is back within the eye of the imperium based on the many resources it has so it has a couple of hive cities but is, for the most part, still very wild and unexploited
What I want is some theme music and for the most part real african music is too upbeat to fit the tone of the adventure
tl;dr need grimdark african music
>>
>>43564622

I did a small three-adventure campaign. It was a Metal Gear-inspired special forces themed in which a crack team of soldiers had to investigate the emergence of a rogue scientists researching Tyranids on an Ork-infested world in the Severan Dominate.
Only War is only as boring as you make it.
>>
>>43565444
In DH I've been burned by a daemon, shot by a crossbow into crit, smacked the fuck down by a daemonhost, absorbed into a daemon temporarily, fought a bloodletter 1v1, fought a group of rebels, also a group of mutants and tons of other shit and is the longest running game our group has played yet I haven't lost a single FP yet and am the only person to do so.

To answer your question
>Second session of RT. I was fucked up by some kind of daemon in the warp that said lolfuckarmor and I went to -2 wounds in a single hit starting at 7. Then I had a lapse in sanity later and thought the flesh was weak and started flaying myself and did 9 wounds killing myself.
>>
File: rogue trader.jpg (530 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
rogue trader.jpg
530 KB, 773x1000
I posted this in the gamefinder thread, but I'd figure I'd post it here too for a bit more exposure:

>GM/Player
GM RECRUITING ONE PLAYER
>System
Rogue Trader
>Time
8 PM EST (UTC-5) On Saturdays
>Method of Play
Roll20 and Skype
>Contact Info
Get me on skype, my username is LeakyCanoe, I have a poorly drawn johnny bravo avatar
>Additional Notes
Unfortunately I had to drop a flaker who didn't even tell me he was flaking on the first session, so he got dropped. However, that leaves the group without a Rogue Trader. The group is made up of an Astropath, a Space Jew, Arch-Militant, and an Explorator. I'm seeking a player who wants to play a Rogue Trader. If you're interested and the time works for you, contact me on skype, I'll get to you as soon as I can.
>>
>>43569094
>a Space Jew

That's a new class for the system.
>>
File: 1439007483034.gif (1 MB, 296x142) Image search: [Google]
1439007483034.gif
1 MB, 296x142
Would DH1 or DH2 be better for running a SoB game? I'm not very sure about the DH2 system and expansions, but I know DH1 can be exploited badly even if I love the system/splats/fluff.
>>
>>43569406
DH2 hands down. DH1 you might as well start them all off as Repentias since they ALL end up there after two sessions.
>>
>>43569379
It's low gothic for Seneschal, I think.
>>
Does the marksman talent also affect the ranges on thrown weapons?
>>
What's everyone's experience running Black Crusade? I wanna run as a Dark Apostle cuz I love me some Word Bearers, but...what the hell do you do in a campaign where everyone plays different types of Chaos guys?
>>
File: Khorne Flakes.jpg (161 KB, 800x1157) Image search: [Google]
Khorne Flakes.jpg
161 KB, 800x1157
>>43571650
Basically think of yourself as an evil version of Rogue Traders. Cooperating for mutual benefit, with small backstabbing eternally going on in the background, none daring to openly act against the rest for fear of terminal retribution from your fellows (think cartel more than dark cult).

Topple worlds, corrupt loyalists, claim leadership of lost barbarian tribes, establish an asteroid fortress, start up your own Daemonic Forge, steal your own ship, engage in the trade of moral lives, hunt down the secrets of the Black Library, forge/earn Daemonic weaponry, form an alliance of the disparate and eternally infighting factions of Chaos and launch your own Black Crusade, secretly work against the cause of the Dark Gods for the might of the Imperium/Malal, finally ascend to the glory of Daemon Princedom, or fail and devolve into a pitiful spawn, shackled by one of your peers and loosed on the forces of the hated Imperium.

It takes a certain type of player.
One who can act evil as hell, but still recognizes the importance of teamwork, or at least collaboration.
>>
>>43571434
With the wording from DH1 and 2nd ed, that thrown weapons would benefit from the Marksman Talent. Just states that when making a Ballistic skill check you don't suffer the penalty. And thrown weapons use Ballistic Skill.
>>
File: Commissarpoke.jpg (28 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Commissarpoke.jpg
28 KB, 800x800
>>43554738
>>43554780
>>43554789
>>43554976
The FAQs for Deathwatch and Rogue Trader covered the first part.

>Question: Does a weapon with Storm generate a maximum number of hits equal to the Rate of Fire (RoF) of the weapon, or double the Rate of Fire?
>Answer: Double the Rate of Fire.
>>
>>43571758
Ahhh okay so chaotic stupid is discouraged that's cool.
>>
File: SPACE LAW.png (979 KB, 899x2588) Image search: [Google]
SPACE LAW.png
979 KB, 899x2588
Have any of you guys played, or had players who played, as a by the books Arbitrator? How did that go?
>>
>>43566202
Ignore the anon, not all canon is true canon.
On paper the cult mechanicus functions as he describes. In practice, heresy is everywhere, the tech priests probably do a ton of illegal shit while disavowing all knowledge of illegal shit to avoid getting *BLAMMED*.

Tinker away, just don't let the higher ups know.
>>
>>43567819
First time on Footfall the Planetary Govenor invited me to a dinner party. I passed a Toughness, Strength and Willpower [30, 37 and 30] tests to eat absolutely horrible food and not throw up at a dinner party ruining my reputation as a RT. Food was something in Ork brain sauce, eating live crab-like creatures and promethium soup.
>>
>>43573128

My group did the same banquet with the liege of Footfall. For no apparent reason, our Techpriest had brought the gunnery crew's mascot, a monkey named Ensign Pavel, to the party. When the weird warp eel stew was served, the Techpriest's player stayed on the side of caution and did not try to ingest it for the sake of gathering knowledge. Instead, he fed the stuff to the monkey, which, being a puny little creature, of course failed his Toughness test to resist the terrible effects of the stew. At that point, I jokingly stated that the Techpriest supposedly intended produce a mutant monkey in order to become the Wicked Witch of the East or something. Then the player rolled for mutations for the monkey.... and BAM! ... rolled Winged mutation! Nobody at the table could believe what had just happened. Anyway, Techpriest decided to keep the now airborne Ensign Pavel as a pet. It was not his worst heresy to come... I don't want to mention the cyber-ferrets in his robes, the headless servitor docking station for servo skulls in Mechanicus robes or the AI drone he uses as core cogitator replacement in his ship that he had stolen from a group of Hereteks. Or the shoulder mounted harpoon gun he uses as a "non-lethal" to apprehend people. Please help, the guy is batshit insane!
>>
>>43566782
>>43567038

To reiterate this anon's point, the reason why discovery and experimentation is frownd upon is that the MEchanicus believes all that is worth discovering has already been discovered during the Dark (or Golden, depending on who you ask) Age of Technology. Much of this knowledge was lost, and regaining it from ancient blueprints and data is much more safe and holy than trying to experiment and discover things on your own- after all, how can your discoveries hope to compete with those made at the height of Mankind's power?
>>
>>43569094
>8 PM EST (UTC-5) On Saturdays

Damn timezones
>>
Anyone have the full Enemies Without pdf?
>>
>>43574099
Creativity is also a sign of an open and inquisitive mind, which are decidedly NOT healthy things in the grim darkness of the far future.
>>
>>43569094
>Jew class
Immediately made me remember The Stick of Truth
Cartman/10 DM, would play with
>>
>>43574196
Open minds are certainly something the Ad-Mech doesn't like, but inquisitiveness? They're fine with inquisitiveness, so long as it's channeled down sanctioned pathways.
>>
>>43564653
Deepest apologies for the delay, Anon: real life got to me last night.

=== ][ ===

'Twas the night of the Feast
of the Emperor's Ascension,
but the Shrine-World of Milosz
was gripped with apprehension.

The Astropaths' Choir
had foreseen a fel fate,
and now gibbered and wailed
in their palatial estate.

The Frateris militia
and Sororitas, too,
said their prayers to the Emperor
and swore him his due

And I, but a scribe,
and my mentor as well
stood in rapt resignation
at our homeword's death knell

When out from the skies there came a great sound
as rocks fell like rain and impacted the ground
and out from their primitive spacecraft, they poured:
the very first waves of a seething Ork horde.

The Warboss, he bellowed
from his warp-riven hulk:
"We'z here for your flash!
...And your Gubbinz," he sulked.

When what to my thorough
surprise did arrive,
but a Thunderhawk Gunship
in a swift combat dive.

In livery silver
and black it drew near.
Our deliv'rance had come:
The Deathwatch was here.

With courage and purpose
they cleared a strong point,
as Nobz, to their duties
did the Warboss appoint:

"Now, Grimbrikk an' Uzbo
an' Burrt an' Grumzgarree,
an' Sneakumz an' Murrwuzz
an' Blazwukk an' Larry:

"You'ze ladz bash down da gates,
an' blast down da wall;
Git ready, ya gitz,
dis what we call a WAAAUGH!"

As soldier-bugs swarm
upon carcasses fresh
when they find but an inkling
of a morsel of flesh,

So, too, did the ork mobs
with bosspoles held high,
fall upon the basilica...
And the Deathwatch replied:

And then, in a moment,
I jumped with a jolt
at the booming report
of each fired bolt
>>
>>43574324

I peered through the haze
and was straining to see
when from nowhere a Storm Boy
descended on me.

I struggled for purchase
as the ork flashed a grin,
when a crackling maul
smashed into its chin:

The Astartes was silent
but for the whine
of the prometheum burning
in his jump-pack's turbines

He was dressed all in black
from his boots to his helm,
and bonelapping powder
from some far-flung realm.

His helmet's visage
twisted into a grimace:
a skull-faced aspect
of palpable menace.

More orks upon rokkits
had gathered around,
and they brandished their choppas
and stomped on the ground.

The Chaplain wasted no time
as he charged into the foe:
breaking bones, smashing teef,
pulping guts with each blow.

He was magnificent, yes,
a remarkable warrior
and I gasped as he cut down
the last xenos horror.

And with that, the Space Marine
looked down upon me;
he gave but a nod,
and flew back toward the melee.

The militia had rallied;
the Sisters advanced,
and into the horde
did las-fire lance.

And leading the charge
as the battle raged higher:
the black-armoured Astartes
with faith, steel, and fire.

The days turned to weeks
and though many men died,
Shrine-World Milosz held
'til reinforcements arrived.

The WAAAUGH ground to a halt
and the Warboss lay dead
once the Chaplain himself
put a bolt through his head.

And we feasted at last, but
the Deathwatch took leave;
there were more foes to fight
on this hallowed eve.

But we heard them declare
as their Thunderhawk rose:

GLORY TO THE EMPEROR; DEATH TO HIS FOES.
>>
>>43569094

Have you guys already decided what sort of tone this particular game of RT is going to have and what kinds of activities the party is going to get up to or is that still up in the air?
>>
File: ULXUQQd.gif (6 MB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
ULXUQQd.gif
6 MB, 1067x600
>>43574332
>>43574324

Glorious.
>>
I'm homebrewing full rules for the Star Phantoms in Deathwatch because I wasn't satisfied with playing them as a Codex chapter. If previously run an SP character using the DA squad/solo abilities and the Raptors' insanity track, but I like the Phantoms enough that I wanted to give 'em their own rules.

Would a solo mode ability that allows them to turn fear/pinning tests into opposed WP tests be overpowered? The narrative idea is that their general nihilism and disregard for personal safety catches their opponents of guard: the pc would count as having the fear (1) trait against that opponent should they win the opposed test.
>>
>>43575188
>If previously
I'd** previously
>>
>>43573752
That all sounds par the course for an Explorator, particularly one on a Rogue Trader's vessel. I like to think of an Explorator as a craftsman who has found patronage with the Rogue Trader to fuel his stranger projects. The Explorator gets a steady supply of exotic material and subjects and the Rogue Trader gets an expert in obscure lore and toys for his armsmen, if they don't cause too many problems. Just be ready to mediate relations with your ship's head enginseer if the projects get too out of hand.

Lemme know if he tries to bioengineer a Tyranid-Orkoid hybrid designed to clean up refuse, offal and detrius on the ship, starting in the Blackholds. Protip, every ship has a genestealer or eight lurking *somewhere*.
>>
>>43566225
Not really any to make, anon. Until you start picking up the rest of the melee combat talents and implants, you are as good as it gets at start.
>>
>>43572986
It's hard to do unless you have the group on your side.
>>
Well, anons, how often, in games of DH/RT, when you have a group of people from different worlds and cultures together, that you play up the fact that your beliefs need not sync to modern values?
I'm playing a strong arm feral worlder in DH2e that is as devout as expected, but believes it is not right for women to wield steel and kill with it, that's why the Emperor brought guns as well as steel. The reason being that taking lives with steel stains you with the blood and souls of the slain, and while this is the price men pay for the secret of steel, it warps the young, and the old stories tell of how children borne of women killers were warped, disfigured and bloodthirsty even at the breast, destined to become murderers and kinslayers, and when the Emperor's godspeakers came, they did away with the "Bloodborne", revealing the shame that brought them to be.
>the world practiced some small Khornate rituals, the children were the result of those rituals being incomplete bindings, exposing the fetus to warp stuff
Now, upon meeting the group, he asks the women in the group who have blades why they carry such arms, as using them taints the children they owe to the Emperor to be future heretics.
One goes on a rant about how she will never have children, the other punches my dude in the face (which is subsequently ignored, because oh no, don't care, I'm ordered to protect you idiots). He figures that like children, they want their grox and to eat it, too, and he must do what he can to safeguard them from their own foolishness until they grow up and learn better, like proper servants of the Emperor.
Is this bad, or inherently needlessly disruptive to the group? It consists of 3 other females of various skillsets, including a Sororitas.
>>
>>43577012
Looks like they're going along with it IC, but really you should ask them, not us
>>
>>43577060
I like unrelated party opinions, anon, as well as the experiences of others.
As for my group? They are going along with it (group is 2 girls, 3 dudes), so I'm not too concerned, yet.
>>
>>43577012
You're cool, awesome and great roleplayer, would love to play with you.
Probably need to stress to your group its just IC stuff if they're being dense.
Otherwise you're 10/10 in my book
>>
>>43577101
If it's a reason to have some rp and the rest of the group is fine, go ahead
>>
>>43577107
Aww, shucks, anon, I'm not anything too grand. I just thought, "Hey, people never really come up with a cultural idea that isn't modern values++, so lets do something different. Now why would it be like that.... BINGO!".
>>43577112
Like I said, I don't think the group is mad, but they were definitely not expecting it. I wasn't zealous about it, I played it up as honest, soft spoken wonderment that they were doing something so silly, I mean, good, Emperor fearing adults KNOW better, right?
He was more surprised at their, in his opinion, overwrought, almost heretical insistence that THEY WERE RIGHT AND IT WAS OK, when only the Emperor is right, and his godspeakers spake so, and thus it is Good.
>>
>>43569094
bruh i replyed to your post in the GF thread i should be able to get to a skype capable computer by 6 PM EST.
>>
>Dark Heresy 2E
>Desperado
>Move and Shoot

Does Move and Shoot allow a Charge Action and a subsequent Ranged Attack with a pistol? TWW M/B are given.
>>
>>43565444
Rogue Trader game

Chaos cult placed antipersonnel mines near station entrance

Our party decided to construct and place blastproof boxes around the explosives to "contain" the blasts, not knowing we failed the check and instead created extra shrapnel. One failed dodge check later, and I burned a fate point. Still was out three limbs, though.
>>
>>43577631
Pretty sure move and shoot only applies to the "Move" action rather than any kind of movement, so can only be used as part of full or half action moves, not charging or running. It is a bit vaguely worded though so check with the GM how they want to run it.
>>
>>43568870
That sounds fun. My DM is a hardcore milllitary no fun allowed fan.
>>
>>43564622
I'm in a game where the players work for a Rogue Trader (our other characters) as the noon time boys a motorized mechanical legion.

we have blown up alot of xenos and deamons. And guardsmen from different regiments that we didn't like. Related note we're all penal colonist.
>>
>>43579714
Hardcore military as in they actually served, or hardcore military as in they play to much cawwadoody and think that makes them an expert?

>>43581369
> only war
> blown up alot of xenos and deamons
Your GM is not nearly brutal enough.
>>
>>43577981
>not knowing we failed the check and instead created extra shrapnel
Based GM.
>>
Hey guys im a relatively new GM who has just started running a dark heresy v2 campain and I have a question.

How to I requesistion test and control influence good? it seems pretty clunky to me, but I might be missing something
>>
>>43581746
Best part is it was also their fault it went off with them right there. The moment the Rogue Trader left the room, our techpriest ordered a crewman into the box to attempt to disarm it, hoping to keep the bomb.
>>
>>43581898
The player's individual influence is very weak at the beginning, you're hardly able to get much with it reliably.
That changes if you have the Contact Network talent, and also somewhat if you invest heavily in Commerce.
Remember the trading rules, and it's worth letting them on occasion find quantities of money which itself can be considered an item with an availability for trading.

The big one though, is using their Master's influence.
It immediately drops subtlety, but it's a minor drop, similar to an obtuse firefight.
However it also has the potential to piss off your Master should its abuse lead to an influence drop.
That's the thing you use when you're trying to get a meeting with the Planetary Governor, or acquire the services of a squad of Arbites.

tl;dr
PC influence is weak, and requires effort to do much of anything.
Use the trading rules, and let them use/find "cash" as well.
When they NEED to succeed, they should use their Inquisitor's influence.
>>
>>43582015
Thanks for the advice, but I was thinking more along the lines of how do I let them spool over loadout if every item is a random roll, or is that covered in the trading rules?
>>
>>43582074
The rules are fairly well laid down in 142-143.
Each item takes a roll and time to acquire.
You can buy them in bulk though, and I've previously let my group roll a bunch of items into one harder roll.
Other times I've just handed them to them, deciding that they had ample time, resources and ability to acquire more mundane items.
>>
>>43582201
ok I see, I guess I wasnt considering options of just, yeah you can get that shit, thanks
>>
>>43574391
The way I DM is that the 40K Canon works for me, not the other way around. I'll use it to make fun scenarios and shit, but if it gets in the way of something I want to do, then fuck it. I try to keep to the tone that I believe 40K was created for: over the top ridiculousness played straight so that it produces humor out of character. As for specific activities, I haven't decided yet. Usually for the first four sessions at least I do individually contained "monster of the week" style quests, and then I start on a major story arc that will go on for about four months or so, with more "monster of the week" style quests interspersed throughout. We continue playing until I get burned out/we get bored. As for WHAT EXACTLY the explorers are going to get up into, I don't really know yet.
>>
Our group has a problem. So, the GM awarded one of the members of our group Artificer Armor as team leader for a number of successful missions. However, the player didn't want it, because he didn't want to give up the bonuses and histories that his current armor gave him. The GM then reduced everyone's renown. We got upset, and called him out on it. It turns out that you DO lose a renown point for refusing such things according to the books. And to be fair, the GM did drop our renown by a single point as the book said.

Now everyone left in a sour mood - the GM feels he did nothing wrong because he stuck to what the book says, the player is mad that he's being railroaded into the armor, and the rest of us are mad that our Renown each took a hit. When we left, everyone was yelling at each other. We're not sure if we should continue the game or not at this point. Is there any way to salvage this situation, or should we just say "No deathwatch ever again?"
>>
>>43585610
Handle the matter IC?
>>
>>43585610
Don't be mad at the GM, be disappointed in the player for not recognizing the symbolism of being offered an ancient and legendary relic.

When offered a gift, you take it.

It doesn't matter if you don't want to use it, you fucking take it.

Because the act of giving a gift is a personal for the giver as it is for the person receiving it.
>>
>>43585610

Being handed artificer armor IS a great honor though - each of those were custom made to celebrate a hero, event, or other circumstance. Refusing it reeks of powergaming over roleplaying. Sure, the player may lament the loss of the bonuses, but for the Battle Brother there are few greater honors than a personalized suit that declares his glory.
>>
>>43585610
The gift was for just one guy, so I'd only dock his renown for refusing it.

And losing renown for refusing artificer armor is completely appropriate.
>>
File: Word Bearer Apostle.png (1 MB, 764x1080) Image search: [Google]
Word Bearer Apostle.png
1 MB, 764x1080
>>43566225
First off, your background is typed poorly.
Second; Best-Quality Bionic Arm gives +10 to Strength TESTS, not to the characteristic.
Third; Accursed Crozius doesn't do 2d10+6, the listed profile for it in the Tome of Excess is for the daemonic version. It only does 1d10+6, Pen 7 with the Balanced, Power Field, Concussive 0 (when two-handed) and the No Defensive Stance and Hatred things.
Otherwise, not much more you can do apart from get Two-Weapon Wielder and Lightning Attack. Also, you character looks incredibly similar to one I've been running for a few months, down to the same armour customisations and weapons. Weird.
>>
>>43566225
You're missing Operate (Aeronautica) and Raptor.
>>
>>43565757
in a row?
>>
>>43581642
So what's the meanest melee options for Black Crusade? I'm currently enjoying Ripping and Tearing for the Big Red Bastard as a berserker. Dual wielding chainaxes, but I'm hoping to upgrade to two chainfists in the future. Is there any must get skills or traits I should look into?
>>
>>43587796
Raptor + Swift Attack + Rending + Flesh Tearer + Charge

With 4DoS you're hitting 3 times and adding your favorite 2 of 4 extra d10's.

Add in Power Armour horns and most melee enemies will have to rely on their (usually weaker) Dodge check, which also means they can't use Counter Attack.
>>
File: eb3e558f8b[1].jpg (136 KB, 719x330) Image search: [Google]
eb3e558f8b[1].jpg
136 KB, 719x330
>>43587830
Can't Swift Attack on a Charge.

>>43587796
Assuming a high WS and Two-Weapon Wielding + Lightning Attack - and putting aside Daemon, Legacy and sorcerous abilities - dual Lightning Claws have a massive potential damage cap, although the damage is somewhat unreliable as it requires a good roll on the attack to really rack up the damage.
>>
>>43587938
>Can't Swift Attack on a Charge.
Well fuck.
Replace Swift Attack with Furious Assault and a really fucking big weapon.
>>
>>43581642
The latter. Kinda your typical millitary-obssessed nerd.

My country has a tiny millitary, you won´t find many actual soldiers here
>>
Any tips for planning hive cities?
>>
>>43588536
there is no plan. It´s a messy maze
>>
Is there an easy way to make xenos for dark heresy?
Is there something I can roll up with the help of dices or something?
>>
>>43588612
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/82650-rogue-trader-generator-tools-released/

Needs some number tweaking but does most of the job.
>>
>>43588650
I will check it out, thanks random Anon over the internet!
>>
>>43588078
The worst.
>>
>>43587976
> all this on a Reasonable Marine
Shit Raptor detected.
>>
>>43588735
Realized we're not talking about Deathwatch. It would appear that, no anon, I am the shit Raptor.

Sorry.
>>
>>43585610
> rollplaying weasels butthurt over a valid in-game rule
No Deathwatch ever again.
>>
>>43565444

>be Crusader-like Cleric
>everyone gather behind my shield
>shield gets penetrated too many times
>breaks
>whatever i still got my trusty bastard-sword
>charge into Heavy fire during escape
>emperor guide my legs
>i get into da choppa
>give suppressing fire so my mates can escape
>i suddenly realise i'm leaking
>only a fleshwound
>we get back to the fleet
>doctor patch me up !
>ship's surgeon has to roll a 75 to heal me
>rolls a 100
>...
>he was the best surgeon in the fleet
>>
>>43588913
Shit happens.
>>
>>43579714

It was pretty good.
The fact there was potential xenos in the facility was classified to even them, so the look on their faces when the were first attacked by a Tyranid Lictor was priceless.
>>
>>43565444
>Fighting a warp cult in the catacombs of a church
>Their leader rolls perils
>Demonhost
>GM takes pity on us and makes it a bloodletter.
>Proceeds to eviscerate our guardsman and techpriest who had been using a holy chainsword found earlier.
>My Arbite unloads his shotgun into the demon and then picks up the holy chainsword.
>Bloodletter cleaves me in half from top to bottom.
>The sister of battle spends a fatepoint and I burn one to get back up instantly.
>The holy light of the emperor fuses my wounds and I stand up with the chainsword in hand.
>Attack the bloodletter, righteous fury, righteous fury, righteous fury.
>The bloodletter explodes in a shower of gore.
>>
>>43568870
Ork-infested as in human-owned but under massive Ork invasion/siege/contention?
>>
How do you encourage players to play up the piousness that is expected of Imperial citizens without using the setting or mechanics as a cudgel?
I'd like my players to, y'know, praise the Emprah every so often. Worst still are fucking techpriest players. I've yet to see one that actually acted like a devotee of the Omnissiah instead of acting outraged when someone in the group drops a gun by mistake, or some other silly trash.
>>
>>43594119
Have NPC's add pious phrases in their dialogue, such as "Emperor guide you", "Praise the Emperor and his holy light" or other such quotes. I've noticed myself start repeating same phrases back at other characters whenever I play.

I'd imagine you can add praying and other rituals to things that NPC's just do whener PCs are around.
>>
>>43565444
I was talked into a suicide mission (by our fanatical preist who promised me many virgins) so when we located a slanesh cult I ran in there and blew myself up with a backpack full of explosives.
The caracter has been on life support ever since.
>>
>>43564587
Has anyone had success converting scenarios from other systems to Dark Heresy? Looking for plot more than anything. Do any systems in particular lend themselves?

Can someone run (Necron) Tomb of Horrors?
>>
File: 1216406337905.png (421 KB, 500x2039) Image search: [Google]
1216406337905.png
421 KB, 500x2039
>>43592187
neat
>>
>>43565444
>fighting an ork nob shooting a cannon at us
>decide to charge at him
>he shoot me
>I'm mostly ok
>our cleric wasn't paying attention
>she throws a frag grenade at the ork
>that I'm in melee with
>I lost an arm and a fate point
>>
>>43593694

Yeah, it was the default planet from the free Only War adventure they released as advertisement. The one where you outrun the glassing.

Things with the Tyranid Facility were good until a bunch of smelly orks broke in and demolished the place.
>>
>>43594425
It's quite easy to adapt WFRP stuff for feudal worlds.
Sounds obvious, but so far not one player has caught on.
>>
page 10 bamp
>>
>>43597766
>CC charicter
>burning a fate point to a frag
what are you TB2 with just a T-shirt?
>>
>>43604395
I had just been shot with a canon
and it was a DH character
>>
>>43605428
ahh DH1 not DH2. thats fair
>>
>>43564587
>enemies without
>warithguard : ap 4,pen 6 guns
>incubi :ap 4
>stricking scorp : ap 6
>grotesque : TB 8
> humuc : IB 5

wow.just wow. these stats can fuck right off.how very pathetic
>>
>>43605486
Wraithguard: LITERALLY worse than a guardsman with a melta.
>>
>>43605486
I'll just double all that.
Or even better: never let the PCs into a situation where they have to discover this. If they're fighting that kind of enemy, either they've already lost or they need to find some cerative (read, insane improvised destruction) to deal with them.
Although to be fair, our only ocmbat-centric PC specialises in the combining of Tech-Use and Demolition kits/grenades.
>>
>>43605486
But ap 4 is the same as pen 6, what's wrong?
Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.