[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BIONICLE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: Rahkshi_by_ferain-d7zbqt5.jpg (300 KB, 1600x1773) Image search: [Google]
Rahkshi_by_ferain-d7zbqt5.jpg
300 KB, 1600x1773
It's suprising how interesting the universe is. I just dug up some old lore and I think it'd make good material for a campaign. Especialy if darkened a bit more.
>>
File: tumblr_njb4p6YyQ31twsuvpo1_1280.jpg (492 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njb4p6YyQ31twsuvpo1_1280.jpg
492 KB, 1280x1707
I've written a lot of reworked lore and collected a lot of art for it, but a game never fell through unfortunately.
>>
>>43562585
fuck yeah i've always loved bionicle
although i've been out of the loop for at least 10 years on lore and products and everything

but it's still a pretty interesting setting, a set of isles populated entirely by biomechanical beasts and intelligent, organized creatures that fight for traditions and survival and master various elements to their favor, i loved the whole idea put behind it, and how fleshed out the world was

if you want to adapt something to a tabletop, i think there's a tactical rpg vidya out there in the depths of the internet, made by ankama games (the people behind dofus and wakfu) that could give you a basic idea of how things could work

also the equipment systems could be bananas because instead of equipping weapons you'd switch out pieces and assemble/dissassemble accordingly to different means
>>
File: tehutti_by_demitsorou-d85gsph.jpg (127 KB, 597x1000) Image search: [Google]
tehutti_by_demitsorou-d85gsph.jpg
127 KB, 597x1000
>>43562679
>>
>>43562712
>>
>>43562698
I'm not sure if changing body parts was that easy for them. Sure to replace metal parts would be easy, but bonding it with flesh is much harder. Only few beings had such a power. Convieniently all of them showed up on regular basis to make new toys every year.
>>
>>43562726
>>
>>43562746
They can fall apart like the sets.
putting them back together is difficult, but still very possible.
>>
I tried to do such RPG but sadly I wasn't able to convince my friends that this could be interesting, actualy Lego ending the brand could lead to it becoming more independent and thus less childish. Of course without company to pull it forward it's all fanfiction now.
>>
>>43562800
>he doesn't know about the reboot
>>
File: tumblr_nagq2s5z2M1twsuvpo1_1280.jpg (342 KB, 1234x1630) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nagq2s5z2M1twsuvpo1_1280.jpg
342 KB, 1234x1630
>>43562834
He's better off not knowing, really
>>
File: Tahu_Assembling.png (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Tahu_Assembling.png
1 MB, 1280x1024
>>43562798
I know that was the case with first series, but wasn't that some exception. I remember that they lost most of their organic tissue during their stasis. That would make it easier to assemble themselves. Also can they rebuild lost limbs? I used to make many custom models often with some silvery prostheris like hand or leg to make them seem more "used" and battered.
>>
>>43562834
>>43562853
I know about it but prefer to pretend it didn't happen. I don't like new lore (or lack of it) and new models are made in such way to make it almost imposible for amateur to make custom models other than "swap A with B".
>>
>>43562859
Their heads without masks are kind of dumb. The top part with the "brain" in back is badass but the o-mouth always cracked me up.
>>
>>43562859
I'm not too sure, the ones in Bara Magna were explicitly stated to be more organic material than mechanical so it probably wouldn't be possible for them.

for the earlier ones the Kaita exist, as well as certain weapons replacing limbs, so it can't be impossible.
>>
>>43562909
considering that they feed on chemical energy from food (digestion but on outside of your body) and they need some vocabulator they need to have this "mouth". Another thing is that your'e not supposed to look at them barefaced and most of material made being maskless as some indecent taboo to the point that they've almost never shown it. Also functionality as toys.
>>
File: Toa_Kaita_Statues.png (173 KB, 516x272) Image search: [Google]
Toa_Kaita_Statues.png
173 KB, 516x272
>>43563002
I think that kaita ran on mystical BS so they aren't good example. On the other hand this verse is full of "magic or mundae" stuff.
>just like some other /tg/ favorite universe huh
>>
File: tumblr_nuf0x2VQaE1rrxxz5o1_1280.jpg (483 KB, 1280x907) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuf0x2VQaE1rrxxz5o1_1280.jpg
483 KB, 1280x907
>>43562890
What system would you fa/tg/guys use for a Bionicle game?
>>
>>43563340
Maybe Mutants & Masterminds? It has the variety of powers that could match Toa or anything else you would want to play as
>>
There was bionicle lore?
>>
>>43563923
There was SO MUCH lore. Pages and pages of it.
>>
>>43563923
The comics and animations were the shit. Mata Nui Online Game 1&2 were based too. Here, anon: http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/
>>
>>43563923
cool lore anon
>>
>>43563340
homebrew/conversion of 'All the little things' to add more elemental stuff.

If I was to run a bionicle game I'd fully lean into the toy side. With hit locations being based on parts, for example you snapped the 3 long rod in your left arm, and can't use it to attack or defend until you find a replacement part/get it fixed.
>>
>>43563340
I did a savage worlds campaign set during the Matoran Civil War on Metru Nui. It worked pretty well for matoran but I'm not sure it would be good for Toa.
>>
File: Great Mine.jpg (80 KB, 769x423) Image search: [Google]
Great Mine.jpg
80 KB, 769x423
>>43563923
Incredibly far thought out lore
>>
>>43564681
TL;DR on it?
>>
>>43564728
Paradise Lost by way of Bio-Mechanical Power Rangers was the villain's backstory.
>>
>>43564728
Huge sapient mech with whole continents inside it, populated by his biomechanical maintenance workers.
>>
Lore: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Games and images: http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/
>>
>>43564806
The entire continent was his body? Thats pretty trippy, were the toa his immune system?
>>
>>43564728
>Great Beings live on ancient giant planet along with Agori, Glatorian, and others
>all fuck it up in the Core War and smash the planet apart
>create continent-sized robot to travel and study the universe and eventually figure out how to fix planet, possibly collect samples of alien life along the way
>robot travels galaxy for 100,000 years
>elemental bio-mechanical people created to help keep the robot function
>they live in giant domes containing islands inside
>one of these beings plots against the robot
>fucks it up all once again
>robot crashes down onto an ocean planet and goes into a coma
>island forms over his face
>some of the bio-mechs migrate to the island
>shenanigans ensue
>>
>>43564835
See >>43562679
The original Mata Nui continent was a camouflage that was masking just the mech's face.
The mech broke down and fell onto an ocean planet, you see. There REALLY is a lot of shit going on there.
>>
>>43564835
No, he had continents for organs. The Toa were heroes, champions and troubleshooters for the things the Matoran couldn't handle.
>>
YO!

I really want to run a bionicle game, but only one of my friends would be up for it.

I love the setting and lore for it so much. I'll confess I've made a ton of MoCs and written plenty of my own in-universe pieces.

How do I convince my friends to play a Bionicle game, /tg/?
>>
>>43564887
Don't let them know it's a Lego line
>>
File: Toa Mata.jpg (104 KB, 769x390) Image search: [Google]
Toa Mata.jpg
104 KB, 769x390
>>43564728
It's not something you can TLDR and appreciate the scale of.
>>
>>43564835
There are artificial "cities" within the mech and then actual islands formed all over its surface after it fell into an ocean.
>>
>>43564884
>>43564875
>>43564864
fuck I thought my Japanese cartoons has complicated plot lines
>>
>>43564903
But they know what Bionicle is.
>>
>>43564921
Do they actually know about it or do they know it exists?
>>
>>43564921
Usually the biggest roadblock is the fact it's a kid's toyline, so people immediately dismiss it.
>>
>>43564940
They know it exists, and that its a Lego line. The only other one who knows about the setting and plot is the other friend I mentioned.
>>
Hey, image-dumping anon, do ya happen to have a particular, mostly black-and silver image depicting the outline of Mata Nui's body with notes on the locations of all the -nui on/in it? Used to have that one, need it again for reasons.
>>
>>43564955
So don't tell them it's Bionicle, just throw them a sci-fantasy setting with elemental powers. Hell, drop the elemental stuff, the universe is interesting without it, replace it with affinity with certain kinds of "tech" like blacksmithing and thermodynamics for fire, aeronautics and vehicles for air and so on.
>>
>>43564988
See >>43564827
>Games and images: http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/
That has a lot of concept art, you can probably find it there.
>>
>>43564991
While it would work for slipping it by them, I feel like the magic and flavor of the setting might get lost in a tone shift.

I guess I'm asking how to market it to them.
>>
File: toa mata2.jpg (134 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
toa mata2.jpg
134 KB, 1200x700
http://www.bringbackbionicle.net/games/matanui/mnolg.html

This is the kind of way you make a fucking puzzle campaign.
>>
File: Matoran_Universe.png (994 KB, 710x929) Image search: [Google]
Matoran_Universe.png
994 KB, 710x929
>>43565005
Oh ya, thanks, I actually went straight there afterwards and found it surprisignly quickly.

>I'm not a robot
Heh.
>>
>>43565031
The second one was also good.
>>
>>43565040
The southern reaches always appealed to me as a perfect blank slate for a possible campaign.
>>
>>43564991
>Hell, drop the elemental stuff
That's a huge part of the universe's lore and theme, though.
>>
>>43565097
Not really. It's a huge part of the main canon storyline, but Matoran only have affinities (easy to keep, whatever you do) and only some beings actually have powers. Those are easily replaced by built in tech into their biomechanical bodies, like flame throwers and lasers for fire, thermal energy absorption and dampening, as well as coolant release and stuff for ice, etc.

If you hide it so it's not "elemental magic lol" you could make the setting more serious/interesting and hide its toy line origins if your friends dismiss it because of that.
>>
>>43565161
The series had its roots being more fantastical and less of a a standard sci-fi world. Removing magic and other fantastical things makes other parts of the universe stick out like a sore thumb and you might as well change everything.
>>
>>43565188
Don't remove magic, make it more explained, like the change from mystical Mata Nui to magitech Metru Nui.
>>
>>43565224
oh god eugh get it away from me
>>
>>43565224
You could pitch it as a post-apocalypse setting and not explain whether it was a fantasy or sci-fi setting before. Are the fireballs magic, or technology? Are these mechanical lifeforms robots, or some sort of golem?
>>
File: 1431043370892.png (121 KB, 315x330) Image search: [Google]
1431043370892.png
121 KB, 315x330
Fuck yeah Bionicle thread!

Here's a question /tg/ (those of you that are into the lore and stuff)

What do you guys think of the Spherus/Bara Magna setting? One campaign idea that I've always wanted to try would be during the Core War

I for one am rather fond of it actually. There's so much unexplained stuff that it's really inviting to try and worldbuild. Especially since stuff like sexual reproduction is a thing.

>mfw the Element Lords were hopelessly underutilized
>>
i only really liked gen 1, when it was mystical golem robots and an aire of mystery

afterwards it got kind of out of hand and lost its charm
>>
>>43565224
>you will never be an organic-nanotechnological magitech robot.
Why even live.
>>
>>43565321
>You will never save the world with your five best friends.

Life is suffering.
>>
>>43565273
Personally, I feel there's a bit too little lore for me to feel comfortable working in ideas of my own. It lies in that uncomfortable gap between "it's a blank slate, got wild" and "there's well-outlined and strict lore, learn and use that shit".
>>
>>43565321
Soon, anon, soon. We are 50-100 years to full mind upload. After that, anything's possible.
>>
>>43565342
>You will never have five best friends
Hello sadness my old friend
>>
>>43565379
>You have five good friends, but they'd all be shit Toa heroes. We're talking Nidhiki levels of shit tier.

It's like other tabletop fans don't even know what it takes to be a hero.
>>
>>43565427
>implying you all wouldn't learn something about the power of friendship or some other bull and go full powerlevels
>>
>>43565379
>>43565427
>>
File: CryosHellYeah.jpg (93 KB, 480x574) Image search: [Google]
CryosHellYeah.jpg
93 KB, 480x574
Bionicle is one of my favorite settings. Still struggling to figure out how the universe is laid out, what with all these domes and islands on top of each other, but inside Mata Nui, but open to the air?

Anyway. Who would've thought that something as awesome as Cryoshell would come about because of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smqucjnlvgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcrJPPv-TpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ971FbIUKA
>>
>>43565574
Only the island of Mata Nui and Voya Nui are on the surface (known), the others are underground/inside the robot. Of course after the series ended both were destroyed.
>>
>>43565619
But there's a starry sky visible on most every island. What are the stars, interior lightbulbs? The Voya Nui novels even talk about seeing a comet or something.
>>
>>43565683
The internal stars and suns are artificial, the ones on Voya Nui and Mata Nui would be real.
>>
>>43565683
The comet is a detachable space station to the main body. It helps with liftoff and interstellar travel.
Metru Nui has two big skylights (his eyes) that they can see the sky through.
>>
File: 1418599603038.png (163 KB, 780x818) Image search: [Google]
1418599603038.png
163 KB, 780x818
>>43565775
>they completely ruined the Red Star's lore
>>
>>43564955
Only fags didnt like Bionicles way back when. Just do it.
>>
File: kopaka_by_andifferous.jpg (100 KB, 600x821) Image search: [Google]
kopaka_by_andifferous.jpg
100 KB, 600x821
>>43563340

I'd probably run it in Fate. Bionicle's about exploration, discovery, and heroism meshed in with finding the balance between self-sufficiency and teamwork. I feel Fate would do a good job of that.

Also a reminder Kopaka is the best Toa
>>
>>43565856
Not really. I forget the details, but it's still pretty mysterious, what with a whole another race living on it, being the source of unimaginable energy, and prophecy shenanigans.
>>
>>43565856
I wonder if the Red Star explanation existed from the beginning too or or not.
>>
>>43565898
And also being Bionicle Heaven that you can just teleport in and out of, even after Greg specifically said he never wanted to deal with afterlives or bringing characters back from the dead.
>>
>>43564183
I like this.

And for extra fun, I'll bring in my giant tub of bionicles on session 0 and ask everyone to make their own toa with select pieces.

Your toa will not only serve as a visual aid, but also as an indicator of your health and gear.

>Left arm socket gets broken in combat, remove it from your toa until we can get it fixed.
>You have upgraded to Toa Nuva, wear this armor and choose your upgraded weapons.
>>
>>43564864
>>43564875

Fuck man, that's amazing. I stopped paying attention when the Pirakha showed up, cause they seemed really lame.

Is Protodermis Mata Nui's blood?
>>
>>43565941
Ouch. Though it would make sense for biomechanical beings to somehow have an afterlife/soul and mind recycling or something. The teleporting thing is balls.
>>43565978
No, it's the everything.
>>
>>43565342
Tahu and Kopaka really don't get along.
>>
>>43566038
Tahu never got along with anybody.
Maybe Lewa, just maybe.
>>
>>43565996
>It's the everything.
Explain.
>>
>>43565978
Mata Nui is made out of Protodermis.
the energized protodermis that transformed the Toa Mata into the Toa Nuva is what caused Spherus Magna to explode in the first place.
>>
>>43566052
Tahu was a hothead but was pretty friendly. Kopaka was a loner by nature.
>>
>>43566063
Mata Nui, the Matoran universe is the big robot made out of the wondermaterial protodermis, as is everything within is (water, life, metals, etc.) the outside world is much like ours, save that this wondermaterial can be mined/extracted from it.
Carelessness and war caused the energized version in the planet's core to shatter it, forming Bara Magna and it's two moons.
>>
>>43565972
I'd be awesome if there were some part library/builder online so that you can design your characters without having a fuckhuge collection. Or searching through boxes and boxes for some random part.
>>
>>43566063
Everything within the Matoran Universe is made from Protodermis, from metal to dirt to water to air to organic material. It's basically just "artificial matter"
>>
>>43566052

IIRC Tahu got along just fine with most people, he just had a bit of an anger problem.

He came to Gali's rescue, and at the very least had relationship of professional respect with Kopaka.

Really Kopaka's the only one who didn't get along with anyone. The guy was just anti-social.

I remember when I was a kid I read like the first book, and the Toa's first meeting was told from Kopaka's perspective and featured his internal thoughts on his new teammembers. He thought Tahu was kind of dangerous and resolved to just try to avoid him. He conceded the softspoken Onua was probably very wise, or possibly just retarded. He didn't like to think about Gali because looking at her just made him feel things, and as we all know the K-dog hates feelings.

So he just went on alone, but being a pragmatist there were plenty of times he was willing to be a team player.
>>
>>43566132
You could potentially get by with LDD
>>
>>43566184
Yeah, just found that on my own. Need to check it out tomorrow.
>>
So, in one of the books, I remember that Voya Nui was populated by Recycled Matoran that were built by Karzhahni because he was lazy and didn't want to actually repair the Matoran to the fullest of his ability. However, he was also responsible for building Toa with Mata Nui's (the Island) Toa being the last ones. But there was an insane Matoran who was talking about building more Toa and was the one who showed the Toa pods to Jaller and his friends which resulted in them stealing the pods and being transformed into Toa.

Did anything more happen with those plotlines? The idea that multiple copies of the Mata Nui Toa are out there is pretty interesting.

Also, anyone know what Element Lhikan was?
>>
>>43566236
The Matoran was insane and might not have been a reliable source of information. Alternatively, there could also be other original Toa, but they would have had different names and personalities. Maybe they died in stasis or were used for other things.

Lhikan was a Toa of Fire.
>>
>>43566236
Artakha built the Toa Mata.
>>
>>43566236
I thik Lhikan was a Toa in Metru Nui. Not the actual red toa of the group, but an older one that was stil around. I remember having a red-gold toa from that time with two interlocking sword-things as weapons, I believe that's him.

And I think the other toa from his group where implied to be the minor villains from that film. Really liked the hints to a larger universe as a kid.

>>43566269
>Alternatively, there could also be other original Toa, but they would have had different names and personalities. Maybe they died in stasis or were used for other things.
Well, there's your campaign hook.
>>
>>43566345
>I believe that's him.
Yep, even says so on the box.

Man, I need to hit up my Bionicle Encyclopedias.
>>
>>43566345
Nidhiki was. I remember thinking Krekka was as well, but it turns out he was a completely different species.
>>
>>43566454
>Nidhiki was one of 10 Toa summoned by Lhikan to help defend Metru Nui against the Kanohi Dragon.
He was Air. And also summoned by Dume, not Lhikan, that's a typo.
>>
>>43566454
>>43566528
Tuyet, a Toa of Water, also turned evil in his team
>>
>>43566528
>>43566620
Lhikan was really bad at reading people, wasn't he?
>>
>>43566620
She's not in either of my encyclopedias, which makes her newer than '07.
>>
File: SethGreen1.jpg (35 KB, 580x300) Image search: [Google]
SethGreen1.jpg
35 KB, 580x300
>>43566620

>Toa of Water
>his

Did I miss something?
>>
>>43566685
His refers to Lhikan.
>>
>>43566681
It was Dume's fuckup, he's the one that summoned the 10.
>>
>>43566685
CHECK UR BIONICLE PRIVILAGE
>>
Were all the Turaga formerly Toa? If so, does that mean Dume was a Toa at one point?

Also, I remember reading in the Dark Hunters Encyclopedia about a Toa of Plasma or something. Were other Elements revealed?
>>
>>43566733
You'd still think he'd have figured out he was teaming up with Tuyet, who was a total sociopath, and Nidhiki, who would risk thousands of lives because he was jealous.
>>
>>43566738
Consider the fact that there is only one actually feminine appearing being in all of Bionicle and that was the Queen of the Visorahk. None of the Toa or Matoran have any sexual features.
>>
>>43562853

Man that thing is fantastic but I can't image search it, anyone got a source?
>>
>>43566781
Yeah. There's a ton of non-major elements. Magnetism, Plantlife, Gravity, Lightning, the list goes on and on.
>>
>>43563340
Legitimately shocked no one even jokingly suggested GURPS
>>
>>43566781
>Were all the Turaga formerly Toa? If so, does that mean Dume was a Toa at one point?
Correct

>Were other Elements revealed?

Off the top of my head there was Plasma, Magnetism, Gravity, Sonics (Sound), Lightning, The Green (plantlife), Iron (all metal), and Psionics
>>
>>43566832
Huh, Cool.

>>43566528
Were all the Toa separate elements?
>>
>>43566781
Yes and yes.

Along with the original six and light, there's been known to exist Plasma, The Green (Plantlife), Sonics, Gravity, Magnetism, Metal, Psionics, and Lightning. Along with artificial Shadow Matoran that were created using leeches the Brotherhood of Makuta developed that suck out your internal life energy.
>>
File: tumblr_nkcf1aHUIO1twsuvpo1_1280.png (444 KB, 1280x467) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkcf1aHUIO1twsuvpo1_1280.png
444 KB, 1280x467
>>43566830
It's fan art of Tren Krom, but I don't remember who made it.
>>
>>43566852
>>43566869

That is legitimately interesting.

Not gonna lie though, Stone seems really superfluous now.
>>
>>43566829
Bahrag Sisters too?
>>
>>43566858
Nope, it was confirmed that along with Lhikhan, Nidhiki, and Tuyet, their team had another toa of water named Naho, 4 toa of ice, 1 toa of stone, 1 toa of earth, and 1 toa of the green.
>>
>>43565515
more like gadanka
>>
>>43566528
>>43566620

Hey Tahu AND Vakama both turned evil at one point so it's Fire Toa you actually need to keep an eye on.
>>
>>43566912
I always thought stone was cooler than earth, but the two being separate was a huge design oversight.
>>
File: 1435971933387.jpg (68 KB, 659x609) Image search: [Google]
1435971933387.jpg
68 KB, 659x609
>>43566934
>4 toa of ice
>>
>>43566912
It all depends on how hard you can kick it.
>>
>>43566934
>4 Toa of Ice

Fuck, how much time do you think they wasted just trying to deal with the brooding?
>>
>>43566781
As of '07:
>Dume: Former Toa of Fire and Turaga of Metru Nui, Dume's history as A Toa has not yet been revealed, although it is believed he had some hand in Lhikan's becoming a Toa.

Jovan was Magnetism, then Turaga of Voya Nui.
Krakua is Toa of Sonics.
And you've got all 42 Kraata Powers.
>>
>>43566983
I think Dume and his team may have also fought the Kanohi Dragon
>>
>>43566949
Vakama also got the Mask of Time.
>>
>>43566949
Tahu was under the effect of a hate poison.

Vakama had to deal with failure for the first time in his life, all while having a voice in the back of his head go "KILL EVERYONE" and being persuaded by one of the best talkers in the storyline.

Hell, Tahu needed healing friendship bullshit to break out, all Vakama needed was a pep talk from Matau.
>>
>>43566912
to be fair, I believe a few of the elements were the suggested by BZPower users and OKed by Greg Farshtey.
>>
>>43567028
You mean he MADE the Mask of Time.

And then lost it when he fought Makuta.

Did that ever come up again?
>>
>>43566934
>4 toa of ice
[multidimensional bar intensifies]
>>
>>43567020
Dume was a Turaga when he called up Lhikan and friends to fight the Dragon.
>>
>>43566972
I Prefer to work...alone...
>As do I...I'm not a people person.
"I can't work with you three, I'm a lone wolf"
>" *unintelligible mumbling* "

"Hey guys! Nice to meet you all! I like rocks! Like, alot!
>>
>>43567075
I would have turned evil too if I was stuck with them.
>>
>>43567066
But wasn't it hinted at that he also fought the dragon, or another one like it, before with his team?
>>
>>43566934
Who the fuck needs FOUR toa of ice.
FOUR.
Metru Nui is only so big there can't POSSIBLY be enough room for all of them to go be loners at
>>
>>43567088
My knowledge stops at the Updated Bionicle Encylopedia from 2007, so maybe.
>>
>>43567075
>Toa of ice are actually bro as fuck with each other
>what others take to be brooding silence and anti-social attitude is actually intense banter made of layer upon layer of ice-culture, in jokes, memes, and history.
>>
>>43567040
Originally, They were going to have Matau be the one that turned evil.
>>43567055
Tahu used it against the Bohrok-Kal in 2003, and last seen being stolen by Voporak during an unresolved online serial in 2009
>>
>>43567118
Turns out they constantly make ice and cold puns when alone.
>>
>>43567055
Yeah there was an entire book dedicated to the story of how he retrieved it so that it could be given to Tahu later on. The exposure to sea water is the reason why it's orange in appearances later in the timeline.

Vakama actually managed to one up Makuta during those events by starting the Brotherhood of Makuta vs Dark Hunters war in the process and forcing him to give up on trying to take the mask by threatening to smash it which would destroy the fabric of time in the zone inside mata nui.
>>
>>43567161
>>43567126

Ah, I remember Tahu using it now.

And DAMN, Vakama is a badass.
>>
File: arnold-freeze.gif (995 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
arnold-freeze.gif
995 KB, 500x281
>>43567152
So he had four of these guys on his team.
>>
>>43567118
>>43567152
>Ko-Toa are actually the Australians of Bionicle
>their banter is so high level that others can't comprehend it.
>>
>>43567197
And the only reason he's a Toa is that Makuta implanted the names of the six in Lhikan's mind. He chose them for their INability to work together.
>>
>>43567118
I remember in one of the Hordika Books that Nuju was a dick to the older mutated Ice Toa whose name I forget. I don't remember anything about his group either, except that they were mutated by the Visorahk long before the Toa Metru.
>>
>>43567118
>Hey, what are you four laughing about? Laughter is great to share around friends!
>You wouldn't get it...
>Still no reason not to share, cmon guys!
>Fine...
>Competitive Ice Climbers.
>>
>>43567238
The Rahaga were originally Makuta's bodyguards, before he turned evil.
>>
>>43567223
Actually, Mata Nui rused Makuta by prophesying the wrong Matoran, so that Makuta would suggest the six BEST ones to save the city instead.
See, he was paying attention sometimes.
>>
>>43567223
Which in and of itself was a big gambit by the Order of Mata Nui where Mata Nui himself rearranged the stars in the sky over Metru Nui and had the order plant false evidence to make Makuta read the wrong group of matoran (The ones who found the great disk) as being the ones destined to become the toa metru, so that he would then implant the idea for the actual set of destined matoran into Lhikhan's head.
>>
>>43567274
Mata Nui and his god damn Xanatos Gambits
>>
>>43567244
>>Competitive Ice Climbers.
I don't get it
>>
>>43567223
Clearly, he underestimated their dedication to kicking his ass. And SERIOUSLY underestimated their dedication to saving the Matoran.

It seems to me that the normal way Toa are created is by transforming Matoran. So where did the Toa Mata/Nuva come from?
>>
>>43566874
What'd be really interesting would be to have Mata Nui or someone like him in a space/sci-fi or even fantasy campaign.

A planet-sized scientist robot trying to learn about the cultures of other planets would be an insane thing to run into.

>>43567306
They're a special case; Artakha made them.
>>
>>43567274
>>43567287
Rusemastery.
>>
>>43567306
The Toa Mata were specially created as Toa from the start
>>
>>43567306
They were the (only?) completely artificially made toa- they were never Matoran, completely born by Artahka(?) as full Toa.

Also, fun fact- the FIRST ever toa was a toa of Water by the name of Helryx
>>
>>43567306
They were built as Toa.
>>
>>43567306
They were some of the earliest Toa built and were part of a contingency plan in the Great Beings blueprints for what to do if Mata Nui ever went comatose for some reason, and so they were constructed from scratch.
>>
>>43567274
>>43567287

Wait, so, is Mata Nui supposed to be comatose or something? What purpose does the Mask of Life serve in reviving him?
>>
>>43567344
Turns out he caught a bad case of death during his comatose state
>>
>>43567108
Metru Nui was huge. Six Toa were barely enough to patrol it.

Plus it was at war since the Dark Hunters invaded it.
>>
>>43567344
The scheme was a last ditch attempt by Mata Nui to stop Makuta since he had already been infected by the coma-virus by that point.
>>
>>43567344
he WAS in a coma, and having the Toa go after the Mask of Life was actually all part of Makuta's plan/ruse so that he could kill him, take over his body, and then bring the body back to life with him in control.
>>
>>43567336
Lesovikk was part of that team, wasn't he? And he got them all killed?
>>
File: Joke.jpg (533 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Joke.jpg
533 KB, 1920x1080
>>43567301
Typical Onu-Koran.
>>
>>43567321
>>43567325
>>43567336
>>43567339
>>43567342

The Hordika plotline and some of the stuff on Voya Nui was where I really dropped off. Who or what is Artahka?
>>
>>43567397
Lesovikk was part of the first ever Toa Team, but Helryx never joined a team but apparently had a stint working for the Hand of Artahka, and later founded The Order of Mata Nui with herself as its leader.
>>
>>43567410
He was an ancient, extremely powerful being tasked with creating new things in the universe, and lives on a hidden island.
>>
So did they ever explain why there were two Glatorian to pilot Mata Nui, but they were put in there without access to basic things like food or water?
>>
>>43567397
Nah, those where the toa Cordak- there was only like one other named member, a toa of lightning named Nikila. Other members included toa of Iron, Fire, Water, Sonics, Stone, and Gravity
>>43567410
Artahka is an almost godlike being and the counterpart/brother of Karzhani- Artahka makes new things with the mask of Creation. It's also the name of his realm, which is kind of like matoran Heaven/Paradise
>>
>>43567386
But didn't Takanuva "kill" Makuta? Or did it not stick? All I remember is some kind of bs fuing shctick and then them getting crushed by a door.

And is there only one Toa of Light?
>>
>>43567409
This is some meta-level shit
>>
>>43567410
He runs Matoran Heaven, which is named after himself. It's actually a real place inside Mata Nui where the best craftsmen among the Matoran were sent to in the early days where they build artifacts and advanced gadgets.
>>
>>43567108
They answered Dume's call for help. are you going to be picky with your saviors?
>>43567344
Makuta infected him with a virus a few centuries before the events of 2004, and he went comatose and crashed into aqua magna at the end of 2004
>>43567444
Not as far as I'm aware
>>
>>43567460
Takanuva is the only Toa of Light

And Makuta lived on as an ethereal gas/spirit after his body was destroyed. This actually ended up helping him since he could now possess Mata Nui's body once it died and was brought back to life
>>
>>43567460
They fused for a bit, then unfused and Takanuva was fine- Makuta was reduced to a non-physical energy being state because APPARENTLY the Makuta race is a bunch of beings that have shed the need for physical form and can shapeshift.
>>
>>43567460
Takanuva took his mask off and wrecked his armour. The antidermis from the Voya Nui stuff is Makuta's essence.
>>
>>43567460
He destroyed the outer armor, but the Makuta species itself is actually made up of a gas called Antidermis that can possess empty bodies and armor.
>>
>>43567435
>>43567450

Huh, neat. So, does Karzhani ever get his shit together?
>>
>>43567473
Fair cop- that actually puts it into a much different light. The four ko-matoran so dedicated to wanting to help their fellows that they'd take up the responsibility of being a toa.
>>
>>43567520
I have some bad news, anon...
>>
>>43567536
>B-baka! It's n-not like I WANT to save you.
>>
Ah damn, This keeps bringing back memories. I loved this when it first came out, though I must say that later storylines didn't really catch my interest that much.

I mostly just loved the fuck out of the first game. Fuck man, Makuta was badass, and the Chronicler the bad-assest of all the matoran. Shame they never actually made a set of him/her/it, I'd have totally bought it.
>>
>>43567487
>>43567494
>>43567501
>>43567509

... Fuck. So, Makuta wins?
>>
>>43567520
He was so out of touch with the pecking order that had developed in the rest of the world that when he made his own attempt to take Mata Nui's power in 2007 he got the shit beaten out of him by Makuta and Lesovikk.

And later got murdered by someone in the post-2010 web serials. But Greg stopped writing them midway through so we still don't know who did it.
>>
>>43562585
>Darkened a bit more

Bionicle is HELLA Dark.
>>
>>43567520
Nope. Karzhani originally existed to fix matoran who didn't perform their jobs properly, but he eventually went nuts after realizing that he couldn't do his job and his attempts to fix them made them even worse. Now his realm is just matoran hell.

I think he got mindbroken and killed at some point, though.
>>
>>43567595
Only temporarily- Mata Nui's consciousness is ejected from the robot with the mask of Life, lands on Bara Magna AKA Mad Max: Bionicle, creates a toa-sized body for himself and pilots ANOTHER fuckhuge robot to fight the MakutaBot by landing a moon on him
>>
File: Takua_&_Pewku.jpg (24 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
Takua_&_Pewku.jpg
24 KB, 384x288
>>43567588
>>
>>43567619
Wait, who's in charge of Matoran hell then?
>>
>>43567588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrcmx8a3EM
This thing here's what I'm talking about. That was the biggest fuck yeah moment of all my time spent with Lego.

Also, seems to me that Bionicle was damn gritty for a children's toy line. At least, the adventure game was. It gave us plagues, mind controlled heroes, almost dying in snowstorms. Shit, even the very first monster attack in the water village was shown as being terrifying.
>>
>>43567595
Mata Nui's spirit is connected to the Mask of Life and banished off to the desert planet Bara Magna. He goes on a quest and discovers that the planet is a fragment of the Great Being's original homeworld that was shattered, and there's a prototype giant robot buried in the sands that he takes control of. Him and Makuta in his old body have a giant robot fight and Makuta is killed, destroying both robots in the process, and all the people living inside have to now leave their old homes and migrate to the new planet.
>>
>>43567595
He's got Mata Nui's body, but Mata Nui's spirit helped get Spherus Magna back together, and nobody ever said whether or not Mata Nui's body can actually get up, or if it's stuck on Aqua Magna.
>>
>>43567595
Well, he does at the outset.
After that is when the rushed part of the story begins.

>>43567619
Greggers gave it away.
The Great Being in disguise killing everyone was...Velika.

WHAT A TWEEST
>>
>>43567648
It kinda got exploded by Gali
>>
>>43567631
There's something very ironic in that.
>>
>>43567668
I don't care what anyone thought about the serials at that point, that shit was awesome.
She just tsunami'd Icarax the fuck out.
>>
>>43567536
They didn't become Toa on Metru Nui. The Toa Mangaia all came from other islands to answer Dume's call for aid, and decided to set up camp there.
>>43567635
fragment of a moon
>>43567648
Karzahni
>>
File: 1404929405775.jpg (41 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
1404929405775.jpg
41 KB, 390x390
>>43567666
>The Great Being in disguise killing everyone was...Velika.
>
>WHAT A TWEEST
>>
>>43567635
... God DAMN that sounds awesome.

Might as well layout some other questions then.

What are Keetongu and Axxon?

Where did the Visorahk come from?

What are the Pirakha?
>>
Alright guys, if you were playing in a Bionicle RPG, who or what would you play as. I'll start.

Toa of Stone, Mask of Sensory Aptitude, Toa tool in the shape of a polearm. Sometime before the Great Cataclysm.
Personality would be sarcastic, very smart and insightful, but still possessing that Po-Toa stubbornness.
>>
>>43567743
Axon's a member if the Order of Mata Nui. The Piraka are a bunch of assholes serving Makuta Teridax. Zaktan, their leader, used to be Dark Brotherhood, I believe.
>>
>>43567781
The Piraka were all Dark Hunters.
Zaktan sort of worked for Makuta, in that he tried to co-opt The Plan for his own ends.

>>43567743
The Visorak come from a weird southern island, and were created by the Brotherhood of Makuta.
>>
>>43567763
Toa of Lightning, Mask of Speed. Tool would be similar to Lhikan's Sword glider.

Cheerful, Boisterous, Loyal to Friends, Brutal to Enemies and genuinely seeks to do his best as a Toa.
>>
>>43567822
>Lightning
>his

I've got bad news, anon....
>>
>>43567743
The Piraka are a race called the Skakdi- basically the Orcs of bionicle. Rage fueled by experimental Makuta worm spine parasites, their island is a war torn wasteland that you can barely rule over three rocks piled together at a time. Used to be actually kinda peaceful before a Makuta used it as his experiment grounds. The Piraka themselves are a mercenary group that used to work with the Dark Brotherhood before they decided "Fuck it we want treasure for ourselves" and named their group after a matoran curse word effectively calling themselves The inglorious Bastards.

Axxon is a member of the Order of Mata Nui, used to be a conqueror before he became a protector. Not much else known. Keetongu is the last of his own species, also not much else known. The Visorak were created by the makuta as a horde force
>>
>>43567743
after 2005's events Keetongu went back to wandering the universe curing victims of the Visorak. He later helped the Order of Mata Nui when the battle between them and the Brotherhood of Makuta escalated into all out war in exchange for them killing all the Visorak.

Axonn was last seen stuck in a room with Lewa, Vezon, an the Great Being who made the mistake of touching the Mask of Life and caused everything around him to come to life.

The Visorak were created by Makuta Chirox.

The Piraka were members of the Skakdi species.
>>
>>43567763
Well, I wouldn't really want to be in a Toa campaign. I'd be a Ta-Matoran and go on adventures in the dangerous wilderness of Mata Nui with my friends.
>>
>>43567831
Any RPG would have to homebrew some of the canon, like letting both genders play any element.
>>
>>43567831
Fine, her. Either works for me.

Seems weird that certain elements are limited to certain genders. Or vice versa rather.
>>
Anybody remember that island with the mountain that tries to eat people? Roodaka's homeland or something?
>>
>>43567845
>>43567743
>What are Keetongu and Axxon?

Whoops, misread that as where. Keetongu is the sole surviving member of a rahi species that rode Tahtorak as their mounts and were nearly wiped out ages ago by the Visorak.
>>
>>43567743
Keetongu is a powerful and intelligent Rahi who's generally just a chill guy.

Axxon is a member of the Order of Mata Nui, who are basically Mata Nui's secret police who exist to fuck with Makuta.

Visorak are a Makuta experiment gone wrong. They originated in some island nobody cares about in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Pirakha are a team of total assholes from a species of total assholes who have joined and subsequently backstabbed everybody from the dark hunters to the Makuta. They're fucking glorious.
>>
>>43567647
You gotta be fucking kidding me. I never saw them sell that here. Was that during the first generation of toys? I think some of those parts are from a lot later, by the time I lost interest in it.
>>
File: MNOLG_macku.png (13 KB, 204x162) Image search: [Google]
MNOLG_macku.png
13 KB, 204x162
Matorans were the best thing about Bionicle.
Macku a cute! CUTE!
>>
>>43567890
I vaguely remember Greg once saying there was some idea the Great Beings had regarding why they made them that way, but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>43567928
Takua and Pewku's set was in the Winter 2003 line.

Technically he got two sets in that year since he ascended to become the Toa of Light in that storyline.
>>
>>43567890
Why they have genders is unclear. It's pretty clear Greg always wanted Bionicle reproduction and love to be implied but never said, until lego made him state outright they didn't reproduce.

So gender makes no sense if Matoran/Toa can't reproduce.
>>
>>43567763
>Implying you need to be a Toa to be a hero
I'd be a Po-Matoran who used cleverness and traps to escape and outsmart his enemies. Or possibly a Vahki. I always liked Vahki.
>>
>>43567890
There was this really silly thing in the post-2010 serials where the Great Beings swapped the planned gender of Psionics from male to female after the first toa of Psionics mindraped the entire Zyglak species.
>>
File: Toa of Psionics.jpg (287 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Toa of Psionics.jpg
287 KB, 900x1200
>>43567763
Toa of Psionics, Mask of Speed, and a pair of hand axes easily flung everywhere with my mind powers. Probably the more "unsure" out of a group of newly minted toa, but still doing her best to live up to the role. Emotional backbone of the group, the stick stuff that holds them together, pic related

Though if I'm gonna be honest- I'd WANT to play a skakdi warrior-bezerker woman with intimidation vision and potential for air control when with another skakdi gotta have that green protodermis-skin
>>
>>43568009
Aren't Vahki just utterly Turaga-compliant policemen?
>>
>>43568009
>Sapient Vahki who can actually make its own decisions
>"YOU'RE A LOOSE KANOKA, NUURAKH- BUT A DAMN GOOD COP!"
>>
File: 1300797600611.jpg (46 KB, 451x392) Image search: [Google]
1300797600611.jpg
46 KB, 451x392
>>43568077
Lel.
>>
>>43566869
>>43566852
In theory a Toa of shadow is also possible but that project created by the Makuta didn't get off the ground. Takanuva temporarily was turned into a toa of light and shadow, able to use both but weaker than if he was fully one or the other.
>>
>>43567964
My personal headcanon was always, even back when I was a kid, that new matoran were constructed/born from the Suvas at each village. Basically, a mask would be placed into the Suva, and with a blast of energy, a new matoran would materialize within it.
>>
>>43568009
Really, what you want to play as, Toa, Matoran, or anything else, all it does is dictate the power level.

As much as I love the plucky underdogs, Matoran don't have the power to stand up to the greater threats, otherwise Toa wouldn't be needed.
>>
>>43566934
>Dume goes to greet the newly arrived Toa
>Sees the 4 Toa of Ice
>Turns 360 degrees and nopes out of there
>>
>>43568056
They're supposed to be. They were created to be perfect law enforcement robots with no personality beyond wanting to hunt down criminals, but then the Le-Metru ones turned into lazy assholes and the Ga-Metru ones started enjoying the chase so much they sometimes let lawbreakers have headstarts.
>>
>>43568141
>the Le-Metru ones turned into lazy assholes
Just like everyone else in Le-Metru.
>>
>>43568141
Welp, now my loose-cannon Nuurakh cop needs a lazy donut-munching Vorzakh partner dragging him down.
>>
>>43568141
And then after the Visorak showed up the surviving units had had their processors knocked around so much that they decided the best way to enforce order was to go full skynet on everyone.
>>
>>43568040
Wait, can this become a MoC thread? I made a bunch of MoCs when I was younger, and I've been maintaining/upgrading them ever since. I never bothered to post them online though...
>>
>>43568176
I like this more and more.
>>
>>43567964
IIRC All we know about matoran reproduction is that it requires equipment that was present on metru nui that they didn't have access to on the island of mata nui
>>
>>43568192
Only if you stat them/give a basic tabletop rundown of their skills
>>43568197
Do I smell a potential quest?
>>
>>43568176
>Vahki buddy cop campaign
Fuck, now I want this.
>>
>>43568102
Yeah. We almost could have had one, but Lego desided not to make the proposed Toa Ahkmou set for some reason.
>>
>>43568222
What system? (I don't know many.)
>>
The more I hear about them the more it sounds like the Great Beings had no idea what the fuck they were doing.
>>
>>43568282
>inb4 GURPS
Just freeform it like with how we were doing earlier with the toa
>>
>>43568287
Apparently they had underestimated their own skill and never planned for the possibility of the inhabitants of Mata Nui achieving sapience and developing culture, hopes, and dreams and such. If I remember correctly the Matoran Language is actually built off the programming language the Great Beings used.
>>
>>43568287
They honestly really didn't.
The only really responsible one so far has been Angonce.
Who's still hiding out somewhere in the system, apparently.
>>
>>43562585
So here's a good place to ask as any, since this is /tg/:

Does any good Bionicle/WH40K crossover anything exist?

Please, I need this itch scratched.
>>
>>43567964
Gender in the Bionicle universe seems to be purely aesthetic and mental rather than reproductive. The real life reason is executive meddling while the in-universe reason is a design quirk.
>>
>>43568287
They're scientist wizards with untold cosmic power. They knew exactly what they were doing, and it involved countless deaths and a giant robot beating another giant robot to death with the moon.
>>
>>43568466
Yup
>>
>>43568102
>>43568256
I should correct myself. The project to create Toa of Shadow did get off the ground since they turned many Karda Nui matoran into shadow matoran but it didn't reach the point where they had Toa of Shadow yet.
>>
>>43568520
So, are Shadow Matoran Evil or just normal Matoran that are... Shady?
>>
>>43568466
To be fair, none of them knew there was sapient life in the petri dish that was Mata Nui.
>>
>>43568584
Evil. Having the light drained out of you makes your internal moral balance all screwed up. Doesn't help that Mutran mutated most of them into creepy looking bat hybrids.
>>
>>43568584
the ones we know about are Av Matoran (matoran of light, like Takua) who were corrupted by the makuta's shadow leeches draining the light out of them)
So more like forcefully corrupted- though one of them actually did WANT to be one because she was an outcast or some shit?
>>
>>43568441
There's a guy on Warseer who gave his Eldar some Toa Mata masks and stuff like that, but i cant remember the name.
>>
>>43568520
Ah well when you put it that way, I guess it sort of happened with Takanuva's Toa of Twilight phase.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.